Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Bring back retired items
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 48
Honestly? Yes.

All festival items should be in Joxar's Spare Inventory Crate. This is from the announcement for Joxar.
Quote:
New Blood:
Flight Rising is entering its third year online. With each registration window, new players are welcomed onto the site. This is wonderful! However, with each month the site is online, 1 familiar, 2 apparel items, and 14 skins enter and leave circulation with the holidays alone. As time progresses, it becomes more and more difficult for new players to work on their collections or obtain older items. A player that joins our 5th year will not find that there's 100 items that will be forever out of reach, but over a thousand.

Investment and Longevity:
As we welcome new players into our world every registration window, the players who have been here for years are the ones to help us do that! These players have been around for the long-haul, and have actively participated in the events that yield rare and retired items. They've put in the time and effort, and can reasonably expect that this dedicated gameplay should yield some items that appreciate with time.
The way they're doing it now is not for their long-haul players, but for their players that joined and played during a very specific and limited time frame. That is, Player 1 joined August 2013 and played five months. Player 2 joined in 2015 and is still playing today. Player 1 has items worth far more than Player 2 even though, by all accounts, Player 2 is the long-haul player, not Player 1.

To make things equitable (not to mention actually do what they said they'd do), either everything for all time had to retire, or everything needed to be put into the crate. Now that we have the crate, I don't think we're walking that back. All festival items should be in the crate.

KS, and beta items are in a different category and I don't really care about them so I won't comment. Downtime items should still be given when there's outages without warning of a certain length. Should beta testing ever come up again, I guess we'd need more beta test rewards? I don't know.
Honestly? Yes.

All festival items should be in Joxar's Spare Inventory Crate. This is from the announcement for Joxar.
Quote:
New Blood:
Flight Rising is entering its third year online. With each registration window, new players are welcomed onto the site. This is wonderful! However, with each month the site is online, 1 familiar, 2 apparel items, and 14 skins enter and leave circulation with the holidays alone. As time progresses, it becomes more and more difficult for new players to work on their collections or obtain older items. A player that joins our 5th year will not find that there's 100 items that will be forever out of reach, but over a thousand.

Investment and Longevity:
As we welcome new players into our world every registration window, the players who have been here for years are the ones to help us do that! These players have been around for the long-haul, and have actively participated in the events that yield rare and retired items. They've put in the time and effort, and can reasonably expect that this dedicated gameplay should yield some items that appreciate with time.
The way they're doing it now is not for their long-haul players, but for their players that joined and played during a very specific and limited time frame. That is, Player 1 joined August 2013 and played five months. Player 2 joined in 2015 and is still playing today. Player 1 has items worth far more than Player 2 even though, by all accounts, Player 2 is the long-haul player, not Player 1.

To make things equitable (not to mention actually do what they said they'd do), either everything for all time had to retire, or everything needed to be put into the crate. Now that we have the crate, I don't think we're walking that back. All festival items should be in the crate.

KS, and beta items are in a different category and I don't really care about them so I won't comment. Downtime items should still be given when there's outages without warning of a certain length. Should beta testing ever come up again, I guess we'd need more beta test rewards? I don't know.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Like others have said, they are already back - in Roundsey.

There are plenty of people who are unhappy with the fact that items don't retire any more! Nothing accrues any significant value these days - even the incredibly popular halos are never going to reach the height of sprites.

Roundsey and Joxar are compromises. Joxar contains everything that wasn't explicitly declared to be retired, and Roundsey ensures that retired items will never vanish entirely.

Unretiring everything (that can be unretired, cause the KS items can't) might please a lot of people, but would also upset a lot of others. I'd much rather stick with the compromised between the two camps that we already have.
Like others have said, they are already back - in Roundsey.

There are plenty of people who are unhappy with the fact that items don't retire any more! Nothing accrues any significant value these days - even the incredibly popular halos are never going to reach the height of sprites.

Roundsey and Joxar are compromises. Joxar contains everything that wasn't explicitly declared to be retired, and Roundsey ensures that retired items will never vanish entirely.

Unretiring everything (that can be unretired, cause the KS items can't) might please a lot of people, but would also upset a lot of others. I'd much rather stick with the compromised between the two camps that we already have.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
People whiling 'well I just paid x for it' oh well??? Sorry? You can get that fake dragon money again. As a player who's been around since the first reg window I WANT people to have stuff that is hard to get. There are 24 items a year that are retired on this site which is a huge number. Especially now that there's open reg and more and more people want those now very limited items.

Just because you spent xxkg on a Light Sprite doesn't make these suggestions bad. Let people have things. KS stuff non withstanding but nothing on a pet sim that encourages hoarding should be retired.
People whiling 'well I just paid x for it' oh well??? Sorry? You can get that fake dragon money again. As a player who's been around since the first reg window I WANT people to have stuff that is hard to get. There are 24 items a year that are retired on this site which is a huge number. Especially now that there's open reg and more and more people want those now very limited items.

Just because you spent xxkg on a Light Sprite doesn't make these suggestions bad. Let people have things. KS stuff non withstanding but nothing on a pet sim that encourages hoarding should be retired.
2dMJezN.pngqIEuPPv.png
[quote name="Xaz" date="2021-01-04 13:24:56"] There are 24 items a year that are retired on this site which is a huge number. [/quote] aren't most of these items in joxboxes, though? or like, 100kt/something like that g on the ah? Which is like 2 days in fairgrounds.
Xaz wrote on 2021-01-04 13:24:56:
There are 24 items a year that are retired on this site which is a huge number.
aren't most of these items in joxboxes, though? or like, 100kt/something like that g on the ah? Which is like 2 days in fairgrounds.
ttGfSL1.png
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2021-01-04 13:18:49" ] There are plenty of people who are unhappy with the fact that items don't retire any more! Nothing accrues any significant value these days - even the incredibly popular halos are never going to reach the height of sprites. [/quote] ^When I was liquidating some of my hoard in my pursuit of a Light Sprite, I was actually really disappointed to find out that all non-Light halos are... not worth significantly more than what they were going for while the fest was happening. (Most were either 1. same price as day 1-2 of the fest where they debuted, or 2. only more expensive by about 25-65g.) Which honestly is bad for the economy as a whole, because you'd think festival items were an investment and a good way for people who aren't coliseum addicts to make money. Not so much (unless it's Light: that's my protip of the day, invest in Light fest items). I would agree somewhat with the earlier sentiment that it was probably a bad idea for the devs to retire non-KS stuff (and don't even get me started about the scattervials, I have salt for days). But I think the public outcry that would happen if the devs decided they were cycling in Light Sprites and everyone could get one for 2kg or whatever would make the eyepocalypse look like happy fun times, and despite my flip opening statement my "no support" is more because saying they were going to do a thing and now they're going back on the thing is going to cause problems, rather than me thinking everyone must pay 68kg for a Light Sprite too to be "fair". (Although there are other people who've paid a heckton of money for Sprites who would likely foam at the mouth if they cycled back in precisely because of that, they dropped all this money on something they thought was retired, that had been an informed decision and now that was broken.) So as much as it sucks, Fiona and Roundsey were really the best compromises for the situation. :/ I do agree downtime items should be given if we ever have downtime again. IDK if a Boolean should be re-released with any new beta testing. I mean, I'd like to not have to pay 800kg for a pixel bug to complete my Bestiary but I don't know how fair that would be to the original beta testers.
Vendrus wrote on 2021-01-04 13:18:49:

^When I was liquidating some of my hoard in my pursuit of a Light Sprite, I was actually really disappointed to find out that all non-Light halos are... not worth significantly more than what they were going for while the fest was happening. (Most were either 1. same price as day 1-2 of the fest where they debuted, or 2. only more expensive by about 25-65g.)

Which honestly is bad for the economy as a whole, because you'd think festival items were an investment and a good way for people who aren't coliseum addicts to make money. Not so much (unless it's Light: that's my protip of the day, invest in Light fest items).

I would agree somewhat with the earlier sentiment that it was probably a bad idea for the devs to retire non-KS stuff (and don't even get me started about the scattervials, I have salt for days). But I think the public outcry that would happen if the devs decided they were cycling in Light Sprites and everyone could get one for 2kg or whatever would make the eyepocalypse look like happy fun times, and despite my flip opening statement my "no support" is more because saying they were going to do a thing and now they're going back on the thing is going to cause problems, rather than me thinking everyone must pay 68kg for a Light Sprite too to be "fair". (Although there are other people who've paid a heckton of money for Sprites who would likely foam at the mouth if they cycled back in precisely because of that, they dropped all this money on something they thought was retired, that had been an informed decision and now that was broken.)

So as much as it sucks, Fiona and Roundsey were really the best compromises for the situation. :/

I do agree downtime items should be given if we ever have downtime again. IDK if a Boolean should be re-released with any new beta testing. I mean, I'd like to not have to pay 800kg for a pixel bug to complete my Bestiary but I don't know how fair that would be to the original beta testers.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
[quote name="Xaz" date="2021-01-04 13:24:56" ] People whiling 'well I just paid x for it' oh well??? Sorry? You can get that fake dragon money again. [/quote] Replies like this are exactly why people think the Suggestions forum is toxic (and they're not wrong). Why do y'all even need to be like that? JFC.
People whiling 'well I just paid x for it' oh well??? Sorry? You can get that fake dragon money again.

Replies like this are exactly why people think the Suggestions forum is toxic (and they're not wrong). Why do y'all even need to be like that? JFC.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2021-01-04 10:22:04" ] [quote name="SecrataryBird" date="2021-01-04 09:15:11" ] it would be cool to see them make a return in some way even if it is obscure. [/quote] Newly generated formerly retired items (except Kickstarter things) can appear in Roundsey, therefore this suggestion is already implemented. [/quote] This. We discussed retired items for years, and Roundsey is the compromise that resulted.
RedWillia wrote on 2021-01-04 10:22:04:
SecrataryBird wrote on 2021-01-04 09:15:11:
it would be cool to see them make a return in some way even if it is obscure.

Newly generated formerly retired items (except Kickstarter things) can appear in Roundsey, therefore this suggestion is already implemented.
This. We discussed retired items for years, and Roundsey is the compromise that resulted.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="JonSnOwO" date="2021-01-04 13:35:19" ] [quote name="Vendrus" date="2021-01-04 13:18:49" ] There are plenty of people who are unhappy with the fact that items don't retire any more! Nothing accrues any significant value these days - even the incredibly popular halos are never going to reach the height of sprites. [/quote] ^When I was liquidating some of my hoard in my pursuit of a Light Sprite, I was actually really disappointed to find out that all non-Light halos are... not worth significantly more than what they were going for while the fest was happening. (Most were either 1. same price as day 1-2 of the fest where they debuted, or 2. only more expensive by about 25-65g.) Which honestly is bad for the economy as a whole, because you'd think festival items were an investment and a good way for people who aren't coliseum addicts to make money. Not so much (unless it's Light: that's my protip of the day, invest in Light fest items). [/quote] Just want to point out that at some point, even if they retired, festival items will have reached this point. Currency during the festival is very easy to obtain, there are more players (I see 2-3K users at any point during the day I look at the online users stat, and that is not during a fest week, currently there are over 3K users), coliseum is sort of hit or miss but with keybinds it can be easier to grind for currency than it was when you had to use a mouse. Add to that that these items aren't consumable, so people only need so many of them per account. So, at some point, there will just be more items entering the market than there is demand for them. It may have been put off just slightly if they actually retired, but I doubt it would have been pushed very far back. It happened on Neopets with the advent calendar items (when I was last active years ago, most advent items were basically trash) and you could only obtain one (theoretically, I am sure there were people who cheated to get more), because every one who logged in on a certain day got them. That is why I feel we need more genes like blossom, where they aren't easily obtained, and they are consumable.
JonSnOwO wrote on 2021-01-04 13:35:19:
Vendrus wrote on 2021-01-04 13:18:49:

^When I was liquidating some of my hoard in my pursuit of a Light Sprite, I was actually really disappointed to find out that all non-Light halos are... not worth significantly more than what they were going for while the fest was happening. (Most were either 1. same price as day 1-2 of the fest where they debuted, or 2. only more expensive by about 25-65g.)

Which honestly is bad for the economy as a whole, because you'd think festival items were an investment and a good way for people who aren't coliseum addicts to make money. Not so much (unless it's Light: that's my protip of the day, invest in Light fest items).

Just want to point out that at some point, even if they retired, festival items will have reached this point.

Currency during the festival is very easy to obtain, there are more players (I see 2-3K users at any point during the day I look at the online users stat, and that is not during a fest week, currently there are over 3K users), coliseum is sort of hit or miss but with keybinds it can be easier to grind for currency than it was when you had to use a mouse. Add to that that these items aren't consumable, so people only need so many of them per account.

So, at some point, there will just be more items entering the market than there is demand for them. It may have been put off just slightly if they actually retired, but I doubt it would have been pushed very far back.

It happened on Neopets with the advent calendar items (when I was last active years ago, most advent items were basically trash) and you could only obtain one (theoretically, I am sure there were people who cheated to get more), because every one who logged in on a certain day got them.

That is why I feel we need more genes like blossom, where they aren't easily obtained, and they are consumable.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="JonSnOwO" date="2021-01-04 13:36:12" ] [quote name="Xaz" date="2021-01-04 13:24:56" ] People whiling 'well I just paid x for it' oh well??? Sorry? You can get that fake dragon money again. [/quote] Replies like this are exactly why people think the Suggestions forum is toxic (and they're not wrong). Why do y'all even need to be like that? JFC. [/quote] nah it's people like you 'I paid x for an expensive item and if it isn't rare and expensive I'll be mad' and make it part of their personality. The items are fake. The money is fake. You'll make it back. You won't die if an expensive item becomes easier to get for other people after you've bought it. Why do y'all even need to be like this?
JonSnOwO wrote on 2021-01-04 13:36:12:
People whiling 'well I just paid x for it' oh well??? Sorry? You can get that fake dragon money again.

Replies like this are exactly why people think the Suggestions forum is toxic (and they're not wrong). Why do y'all even need to be like that? JFC.
nah it's people like you 'I paid x for an expensive item and if it isn't rare and expensive I'll be mad' and make it part of their personality.

The items are fake. The money is fake. You'll make it back. You won't die if an expensive item becomes easier to get for other people after you've bought it. Why do y'all even need to be like this?
2dMJezN.pngqIEuPPv.png
[quote name="Xaz" date="2021-01-04 14:07:56" ] The items are fake. The money is fake. You'll make it back. You won't die if an expensive item becomes easier to get for other people after you've bought it. Why do y'all even need to be like this? [/quote] If that's your attitude, then why do you even care about whether someone can own a 'fake' item or not?
Xaz wrote on 2021-01-04 14:07:56:
The items are fake. The money is fake. You'll make it back. You won't die if an expensive item becomes easier to get for other people after you've bought it. Why do y'all even need to be like this?

If that's your attitude, then why do you even care about whether someone can own a 'fake' item or not?
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 48