Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Random Dragon Front Page Notification
1 2 3
[quote name="hat17" date="2020-08-19 16:17:50" ] My concern is, if this is implemented, people will have more reason to make the random showcase an 'active-dragons only' showcase, which I personally do not want. Also, the feeling when someone noticed my dragon and commented is very different to getting a system notice - one feels more personal and knowing that there are people enjoying my dragon, the other just a lifeless mechanism telling me my dragon's on the front page (and sorry no one else noticed). [/quote] This was my concern as well, but I didn't know how to express it. We already get a lot of people wanting to change the random dragon to being only from active accounts, and if there were some sort of 'reward' even if that reward is simply a notification, I feel it might cause even more. I personally like being able to see all non-exalted dragons and wouldn't mind if exalted dragons were shown as well.
hat17 wrote on 2020-08-19 16:17:50:
My concern is, if this is implemented, people will have more reason to make the random showcase an 'active-dragons only' showcase, which I personally do not want. Also, the feeling when someone noticed my dragon and commented is very different to getting a system notice - one feels more personal and knowing that there are people enjoying my dragon, the other just a lifeless mechanism telling me my dragon's on the front page (and sorry no one else noticed).
This was my concern as well, but I didn't know how to express it.

We already get a lot of people wanting to change the random dragon to being only from active accounts, and if there were some sort of 'reward' even if that reward is simply a notification, I feel it might cause even more.

I personally like being able to see all non-exalted dragons and wouldn't mind if exalted dragons were shown as well.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Support, because I always want to know! I couldn't care less whether it's an achievement or not. Changing it from active-only seems irrelevant. Have it be opt-in.

@Astr0fish Really appreciate that people like you are commenting. Actually, if it weren't for @azurebolt I wouldn't have known about my softie Galenos being on the front page. Thank you again c':
Support, because I always want to know! I couldn't care less whether it's an achievement or not. Changing it from active-only seems irrelevant. Have it be opt-in.

@Astr0fish Really appreciate that people like you are commenting. Actually, if it weren't for @azurebolt I wouldn't have known about my softie Galenos being on the front page. Thank you again c':
So sorry if I pinged anybody 2 or 3 times... I made a few typos :(

EDIT: Another reason to opt-in is because after a few weeks of getting notifications, several of your dragons might have been featured and you might be getting tired of the notifications.
So sorry if I pinged anybody 2 or 3 times... I made a few typos :(

EDIT: Another reason to opt-in is because after a few weeks of getting notifications, several of your dragons might have been featured and you might be getting tired of the notifications.
I'd love a notification for this! I don't have the most exciting dragons, so I don't often get any comments on 'em and it'd be nice just to know SOMEONE might have looked at 'em. :)
I'd love a notification for this! I don't have the most exciting dragons, so I don't often get any comments on 'em and it'd be nice just to know SOMEONE might have looked at 'em. :)
S0DOppf.pngbicatcher.png
@pfvupl @TheWormwood
Yeah I definitely agree with you both! I feel like it definitely needs to be a toggle opt-in situation where the person has to opt into the opportunity of knowing that your dragon was on the front page. It honestly doesn't need to be an achievement, I just feel like knowing your derg was on the front page is a really cool thing to know!
@pfvupl @TheWormwood
Yeah I definitely agree with you both! I feel like it definitely needs to be a toggle opt-in situation where the person has to opt into the opportunity of knowing that your dragon was on the front page. It honestly doesn't need to be an achievement, I just feel like knowing your derg was on the front page is a really cool thing to know!
dct6cq2-114b1547-3fa8-4b5c-94f0-0fef4947daf3.png
[quote name="Astr0fish" date="2020-08-20 09:20:57" ] @pfvupl @TheWormwood Yeah I definitely agree with you both! I feel like it definitely needs to be a toggle opt-in situation where the person has to opt into the opportunity of knowing that your dragon was on the front page. It honestly doesn't need to be an achievement, I just feel like knowing your derg was on the front page is a really cool thing to know! [/quote] Exactly. And I'm not fussed about whether or not it gets 'likes' etc, its just nice to think of it as having been out there. :) So long as there's a 'turn off front-page-dragon notifications' option for those who aren't interested!
Astr0fish wrote on 2020-08-20 09:20:57:
@pfvupl @TheWormwood

Exactly. And I'm not fussed about whether or not it gets 'likes' etc, its just nice to think of it as having been out there. :) So long as there's a 'turn off front-page-dragon notifications' option for those who aren't interested!
S0DOppf.pngbicatcher.png
@Jemadar @hat17 I disagree that the showcase should change at all, I feel like having the opportunity to know that your dragon was on the front page and might have been seen by a few people is just a very cool thing to know! Making the showcase just for active dragons is not a thing I support whatsoever, but being able to know that your dragon was on the front page is something that people miss out on all the time due to either the dragon not having genes/apparel or it being a time where there are less people on the site. I personally feel that the whole idea of your dragon randomly being on the front page out of all the dragons on the site is a very cool thing to know, however it should not add monetary value to a dragon and the user should not get an achievement for it. [emoji=guardian star size=1] People who see a dragon on the front page have absolutely no incentive to say to you that your dragon was on the front page, making the chances of you actually knowing that the dragon that is in your lair was on the front page very slim, unless if someone who is kind enough to see your dragon, and comment about your dragon on your profile. Since getting your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare, being able to know that it was there is pretty cool! However, if you don't want to know about it, you can click the switch in your options so you wouldn't have to see these notifications at all. @azurebolt [quote]This would probably only benefit users who have long left Flight Rising who don't get these sorts of comments, but what's the likelihood of them returning to the site? We can't say for sure since it varies from user to user.[/quote] There are plenty of users that have dragons that are either g1s that are not gened, dergs that don't have apparel, or users that do not feed their dragons for various reasons.[b] This is why this should be an opt in only,[/b] where you need to opt in to the program before getting pings at all so people who have long left Flight Rising would not get the pings at all... the pings would only go to active users who would like to know said information. @RedWillia [quote]I'm a bit confused - what, exactly, would that text congratulate you with?... You didn't do anything, it's just pure RNG, so this just feels like one of those participation trophies, you know, "congratulations on having a dragon in FR". No support for participation trophy-like alerts.[/quote] The text congratulates you that your dragon, out of all the dragons on Flightrising, was on the front page at a specific time. It's something that is a cool thing to see, especially since its random RNG in the first place. Having your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare and very random, so being able to know that 'oh, someone could have seen this derg of mine that I've worked really hard on on the front page' is a pretty cool idea that people already do (albeit its with physically commenting on peoples profiles) This would be a completely opt-in situation though, so people who would like to know this would be able to know it, and people who don't care as much about the front page in general don't have to see it at all. @TheWormwood stated it really well here: [quote name="TheWormwood" date="2020-08-20 09:17:34" ] I'd love a notification for this! I don't have the most exciting dragons, so I don't often get any comments on 'em and it'd be nice just to know SOMEONE might have looked at 'em. :) [/quote] which is something really special I've noticed about Flightrising and front page dergs. Hopefully this makes sense! I am subscribed so I get all the pings, so hopefully I can reply ASAP [emoji=guardian star size=1]
@Jemadar @hat17
I disagree that the showcase should change at all, I feel like having the opportunity to know that your dragon was on the front page and might have been seen by a few people is just a very cool thing to know! Making the showcase just for active dragons is not a thing I support whatsoever, but being able to know that your dragon was on the front page is something that people miss out on all the time due to either the dragon not having genes/apparel or it being a time where there are less people on the site. I personally feel that the whole idea of your dragon randomly being on the front page out of all the dragons on the site is a very cool thing to know, however it should not add monetary value to a dragon and the user should not get an achievement for it.
People who see a dragon on the front page have absolutely no incentive to say to you that your dragon was on the front page, making the chances of you actually knowing that the dragon that is in your lair was on the front page very slim, unless if someone who is kind enough to see your dragon, and comment about your dragon on your profile. Since getting your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare, being able to know that it was there is pretty cool! However, if you don't want to know about it, you can click the switch in your options so you wouldn't have to see these notifications at all.

@azurebolt
Quote:
This would probably only benefit users who have long left Flight Rising who don't get these sorts of comments, but what's the likelihood of them returning to the site? We can't say for sure since it varies from user to user.

There are plenty of users that have dragons that are either g1s that are not gened, dergs that don't have apparel, or users that do not feed their dragons for various reasons. This is why this should be an opt in only, where you need to opt in to the program before getting pings at all so people who have long left Flight Rising would not get the pings at all... the pings would only go to active users who would like to know said information.

@RedWillia
Quote:
I'm a bit confused - what, exactly, would that text congratulate you with?... You didn't do anything, it's just pure RNG, so this just feels like one of those participation trophies, you know, "congratulations on having a dragon in FR". No support for participation trophy-like alerts.

The text congratulates you that your dragon, out of all the dragons on Flightrising, was on the front page at a specific time. It's something that is a cool thing to see, especially since its random RNG in the first place. Having your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare and very random, so being able to know that 'oh, someone could have seen this derg of mine that I've worked really hard on on the front page' is a pretty cool idea that people already do (albeit its with physically commenting on peoples profiles)
This would be a completely opt-in situation though, so people who would like to know this would be able to know it, and people who don't care as much about the front page in general don't have to see it at all.

@TheWormwood stated it really well here:
TheWormwood wrote on 2020-08-20 09:17:34:
which is something really special I've noticed about Flightrising and front page dergs.
Hopefully this makes sense! I am subscribed so I get all the pings, so hopefully I can reply ASAP
@Corviknight @Tserin
This is why the system would be only opt in, so you would have to opt into getting the notifications in the first place. This makes it so that people who like cleaner notifications or do not care about front page dergs do not get the notifications, and don't have to worry about it. This would also only go out for dragons who are not exalted, and their owners have decided to opt in to the program, so the amount of pings that are sent out over time will get bigger, but the program will not be for all users.
@Corviknight @Tserin
This is why the system would be only opt in, so you would have to opt into getting the notifications in the first place. This makes it so that people who like cleaner notifications or do not care about front page dergs do not get the notifications, and don't have to worry about it. This would also only go out for dragons who are not exalted, and their owners have decided to opt in to the program, so the amount of pings that are sent out over time will get bigger, but the program will not be for all users.
[quote name="Astr0fish" date="2020-08-20 09:50:44" ] @/RedWillia [quote]I'm a bit confused - what, exactly, would that text congratulate you with?... You didn't do anything, it's just pure RNG, so this just feels like one of those participation trophies, you know, "congratulations on having a dragon in FR". No support for participation trophy-like alerts.[/quote] The text congratulates you that your dragon, out of all the dragons on Flightrising, was on the front page at a specific time. It's something that is a cool thing to see, especially since its random RNG in the first place. Having your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare and very random, so being able to know that 'oh, someone could have seen this derg of mine that I've worked really hard on on the front page' is a pretty cool idea that people already do (albeit its with physically commenting on peoples profiles) This would be a completely opt-in situation though, so people who would like to know this would be able to know it, and people who don't care as much about the front page in general don't have to see it at all. [/quote] The problem that it would be a completely meaningless participation trophy, same as like now some people send messages that "your dragon was on the front page". So it was... and what? Did you like the apparel, the lore I've written, the accent, did you notice that I matched the accent colors to the eyes, did it inspire you to get a similar dragon yourself... or did you just sent me a profile message telling me that my dragon, in fact, is not exalted and thus capable of being selected by the RNG. Heck, with the like system, getting that notification could even be a slap in the face - [i]congratulations! people had the opportunity to see your dragon but no one liked it enough to press the like button :)[/i]. Yikes. Still no support because no additional reasons were given.
Astr0fish wrote on 2020-08-20 09:50:44:
@/RedWillia
Quote:
I'm a bit confused - what, exactly, would that text congratulate you with?... You didn't do anything, it's just pure RNG, so this just feels like one of those participation trophies, you know, "congratulations on having a dragon in FR". No support for participation trophy-like alerts.

The text congratulates you that your dragon, out of all the dragons on Flightrising, was on the front page at a specific time. It's something that is a cool thing to see, especially since its random RNG in the first place. Having your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare and very random, so being able to know that 'oh, someone could have seen this derg of mine that I've worked really hard on on the front page' is a pretty cool idea that people already do (albeit its with physically commenting on peoples profiles)
This would be a completely opt-in situation though, so people who would like to know this would be able to know it, and people who don't care as much about the front page in general don't have to see it at all.

The problem that it would be a completely meaningless participation trophy, same as like now some people send messages that "your dragon was on the front page". So it was... and what? Did you like the apparel, the lore I've written, the accent, did you notice that I matched the accent colors to the eyes, did it inspire you to get a similar dragon yourself... or did you just sent me a profile message telling me that my dragon, in fact, is not exalted and thus capable of being selected by the RNG.

Heck, with the like system, getting that notification could even be a slap in the face - congratulations! people had the opportunity to see your dragon but no one liked it enough to press the like button :). Yikes.

Still no support because no additional reasons were given.
JQQ3Fjt.png
All this notification would show is that by a roll of the dice, your dragon got picked to be the random dragon. Due to the very short time frame (I did a rough timing on it, and it changes around every minute, two tops) a random dragon appears, it's theoretically possible no one sees it anyway, so the ping doesn't even mean your dragon was noticed by a player for being there, or that you'd have time to go see it yourself to be sure it was there. I'm not saying the game would lie about someone's dragon being the random dragon, but there's no way to tell if you got pinged because of a glitch or something.

I don't think this would really serve any purpose, but as long as it'd be opt-in only, my main concern would be the strain on the server sending out pings every 1-2 minutes, perhaps longer intervals to account for pings that don't have to be sent out to those that didn't want it. But, the server would still have to identify the player whose dragon it is, then do a scan for whether the player wants pinged, before a ping is sent or not.
All this notification would show is that by a roll of the dice, your dragon got picked to be the random dragon. Due to the very short time frame (I did a rough timing on it, and it changes around every minute, two tops) a random dragon appears, it's theoretically possible no one sees it anyway, so the ping doesn't even mean your dragon was noticed by a player for being there, or that you'd have time to go see it yourself to be sure it was there. I'm not saying the game would lie about someone's dragon being the random dragon, but there's no way to tell if you got pinged because of a glitch or something.

I don't think this would really serve any purpose, but as long as it'd be opt-in only, my main concern would be the strain on the server sending out pings every 1-2 minutes, perhaps longer intervals to account for pings that don't have to be sent out to those that didn't want it. But, the server would still have to identify the player whose dragon it is, then do a scan for whether the player wants pinged, before a ping is sent or not.
1 2 3