Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Random Dragon Front Page Notification
1 2 3
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2020-08-20 10:08:11" ] [quote name="Astr0fish" date="2020-08-20 09:50:44" ] @/RedWillia [quote]I'm a bit confused - what, exactly, would that text congratulate you with?... You didn't do anything, it's just pure RNG, so this just feels like one of those participation trophies, you know, "congratulations on having a dragon in FR". No support for participation trophy-like alerts.[/quote] The text congratulates you that your dragon, out of all the dragons on Flightrising, was on the front page at a specific time. It's something that is a cool thing to see, especially since its random RNG in the first place. Having your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare and very random, so being able to know that 'oh, someone could have seen this derg of mine that I've worked really hard on on the front page' is a pretty cool idea that people already do (albeit its with physically commenting on peoples profiles) This would be a completely opt-in situation though, so people who would like to know this would be able to know it, and people who don't care as much about the front page in general don't have to see it at all. [/quote] The problem that it would be a completely meaningless participation trophy, same as like now some people send messages that "your dragon was on the front page". So it was... and what? Did you like the apparel, the lore I've written, the accent, did you notice that I matched the accent colors to the eyes, did it inspire you to get a similar dragon yourself... or did you just sent me a profile message telling me that my dragon, in fact, is not exalted and thus capable of being selected by the RNG. Heck, with the like system, getting that notification could even be a slap in the face - [i]congratulations! people had the opportunity to see your dragon but no one liked it enough to press the like button :)[/i]. Yikes. Still no support because no additional reasons were given. [/quote] I have to admit that this is pretty much how I feel. As for the changing the random dragon to only ones in active clans, I know you weren't supporting doing that, but I can easily see this feature being used as a reason to do it, because now people would get recognition for their dragons being on the front page, so why should that recognition go to dragons whose owners wouldn't ever see it? I have already seen people who try to say that the random dragon is somehow to the benefit of the person who owns the dragon, and I really don't want to give more fodder to that idea. I also honestly don't really see the point, because, again, this would send out a notification every minute, with only a few (relatively) skips from players who opted out (unless it were opt in, that would be better due to not sending out to inactive accounts). I also simply don't really see it as notification worthy, your dragon is on the front page for a minute, and is just randomly selected from RNG, so I don't really see the purpose of having a notification for it (I can see why people would want it, I just don't really think it is worth it) If it were something that chose from dressed, or fully gened, or was selected by a human, then I could see it. Another game I play has a 'random pet' feature that shows on the front page when you log in, and all those gryffs are chosen by a human, so it is an honor to actually be chosen for that (I will mention that the site is a MUCH smaller site, and it is literally one person doing the choosing, maybe two, but I don't know how much the second person in charge of the site is around these days and those gryffs change when you refresh, so other than it being a random feature to showcase what people can do, it isn't really the same as FR). This is basically just all non-exalted dragons being thrown into a pot and every minute one is hauled up and then tossed back in. *shrugs* as I said, I wouldn't care if they added, I just don't think it would really be a benefit to the site, and I can see how it could be a negative addtion (ie the 'my dragon was on the front page and no one liked it!' and the use of it as a reason why the random dragon should change to active only accounts)
RedWillia wrote on 2020-08-20 10:08:11:
Astr0fish wrote on 2020-08-20 09:50:44:
@/RedWillia
Quote:
I'm a bit confused - what, exactly, would that text congratulate you with?... You didn't do anything, it's just pure RNG, so this just feels like one of those participation trophies, you know, "congratulations on having a dragon in FR". No support for participation trophy-like alerts.

The text congratulates you that your dragon, out of all the dragons on Flightrising, was on the front page at a specific time. It's something that is a cool thing to see, especially since its random RNG in the first place. Having your dragon on the front page is already pretty rare and very random, so being able to know that 'oh, someone could have seen this derg of mine that I've worked really hard on on the front page' is a pretty cool idea that people already do (albeit its with physically commenting on peoples profiles)
This would be a completely opt-in situation though, so people who would like to know this would be able to know it, and people who don't care as much about the front page in general don't have to see it at all.

The problem that it would be a completely meaningless participation trophy, same as like now some people send messages that "your dragon was on the front page". So it was... and what? Did you like the apparel, the lore I've written, the accent, did you notice that I matched the accent colors to the eyes, did it inspire you to get a similar dragon yourself... or did you just sent me a profile message telling me that my dragon, in fact, is not exalted and thus capable of being selected by the RNG.

Heck, with the like system, getting that notification could even be a slap in the face - congratulations! people had the opportunity to see your dragon but no one liked it enough to press the like button :). Yikes.

Still no support because no additional reasons were given.
I have to admit that this is pretty much how I feel.

As for the changing the random dragon to only ones in active clans, I know you weren't supporting doing that, but I can easily see this feature being used as a reason to do it, because now people would get recognition for their dragons being on the front page, so why should that recognition go to dragons whose owners wouldn't ever see it?

I have already seen people who try to say that the random dragon is somehow to the benefit of the person who owns the dragon, and I really don't want to give more fodder to that idea.

I also honestly don't really see the point, because, again, this would send out a notification every minute, with only a few (relatively) skips from players who opted out (unless it were opt in, that would be better due to not sending out to inactive accounts). I also simply don't really see it as notification worthy, your dragon is on the front page for a minute, and is just randomly selected from RNG, so I don't really see the purpose of having a notification for it (I can see why people would want it, I just don't really think it is worth it)

If it were something that chose from dressed, or fully gened, or was selected by a human, then I could see it. Another game I play has a 'random pet' feature that shows on the front page when you log in, and all those gryffs are chosen by a human, so it is an honor to actually be chosen for that (I will mention that the site is a MUCH smaller site, and it is literally one person doing the choosing, maybe two, but I don't know how much the second person in charge of the site is around these days and those gryffs change when you refresh, so other than it being a random feature to showcase what people can do, it isn't really the same as FR). This is basically just all non-exalted dragons being thrown into a pot and every minute one is hauled up and then tossed back in.

*shrugs* as I said, I wouldn't care if they added, I just don't think it would really be a benefit to the site, and I can see how it could be a negative addtion (ie the 'my dragon was on the front page and no one liked it!' and the use of it as a reason why the random dragon should change to active only accounts)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
my feelings pretty well align with jemadar's on this.

i'm ambivalent to the idea, but i can see the potential for negatives that could outweigh the benefits. don't get me wrong, i love getting comments when one of my dragons pops up! they genuinely do brighten my day!

but i also kind of think because of that (how nice it is that someone saw my dragon and liked them enough to comment so that i knew about it) a soulless, canned 'your dragon X was on the front page' would take away from that, too, tbh. like, ok, it happened and no one noticed at all. like... it doesn't give quite the same feeling of validation if it's automated?

so like i'd use the feature if it were implemented but i personally feel like it's a wash on whether it's a benefit or not.
my feelings pretty well align with jemadar's on this.

i'm ambivalent to the idea, but i can see the potential for negatives that could outweigh the benefits. don't get me wrong, i love getting comments when one of my dragons pops up! they genuinely do brighten my day!

but i also kind of think because of that (how nice it is that someone saw my dragon and liked them enough to comment so that i knew about it) a soulless, canned 'your dragon X was on the front page' would take away from that, too, tbh. like, ok, it happened and no one noticed at all. like... it doesn't give quite the same feeling of validation if it's automated?

so like i'd use the feature if it were implemented but i personally feel like it's a wash on whether it's a benefit or not.
I get where you come from, especially being considerate to those who owns dragons that are not so well decked out with everything, it probably would be a nice thing for them. But, like others said, this would also feel a lot less personal and meaningful, because if someone reads a little bit deep into this, it can mean "my dragon was on the front page, but either no one saw it or someone saw it but didn't like it enough to comment on my profile or even press the like button, how sad!".... ><

While I don't see this suggestion ITSELF being bad or anything, it just seems a little pointless and have high potential to cause other undesirable effects. While you do not support having the random dragons restricted to active-ones only, it will become a strong arguing point for those who support and who knows, maybe it will become true...
I get where you come from, especially being considerate to those who owns dragons that are not so well decked out with everything, it probably would be a nice thing for them. But, like others said, this would also feel a lot less personal and meaningful, because if someone reads a little bit deep into this, it can mean "my dragon was on the front page, but either no one saw it or someone saw it but didn't like it enough to comment on my profile or even press the like button, how sad!".... ><

While I don't see this suggestion ITSELF being bad or anything, it just seems a little pointless and have high potential to cause other undesirable effects. While you do not support having the random dragons restricted to active-ones only, it will become a strong arguing point for those who support and who knows, maybe it will become true...
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
Even with it being opt in, it still has to check if a user has the option enabled and if it should send them a ping. And I would love to know if my permas are featured, so I would opt in! However, I still don't want pings that my fodder was featured, and I have way more fodder than permas, so wanting to know if my permas are featured would lead to a lot of "Sorry was on the front page!" notifications that I really don't want.
Even with it being opt in, it still has to check if a user has the option enabled and if it should send them a ping. And I would love to know if my permas are featured, so I would opt in! However, I still don't want pings that my fodder was featured, and I have way more fodder than permas, so wanting to know if my permas are featured would lead to a lot of "Sorry was on the front page!" notifications that I really don't want.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
[quote]The problem that it would be a completely meaningless participation trophy, same as like now some people send messages that "your dragon was on the front page". So it was... and what? Did you like the apparel, the lore I've written, the accent, did you notice that I matched the accent colors to the eyes, did it inspire you to get a similar dragon yourself... or did you just sent me a profile message telling me that my dragon, in fact, is not exalted and thus capable of being selected by the RNG.[/quote] It seems similar to me to the Theme Weeks. Though you do have to "enter" those by pasting your dragon in the thread, you didn't really do anything for that, either. Certainly with some theme weeks. But there isn't any indication that the staff are doing anything but RNG for those, but we do get pinged if our dragon is picked.... Seems the same. All the same, I don't really care one way or another. I don't really see the point in it, but it could be fun for some people.
Quote:
The problem that it would be a completely meaningless participation trophy, same as like now some people send messages that "your dragon was on the front page". So it was... and what? Did you like the apparel, the lore I've written, the accent, did you notice that I matched the accent colors to the eyes, did it inspire you to get a similar dragon yourself... or did you just sent me a profile message telling me that my dragon, in fact, is not exalted and thus capable of being selected by the RNG.
It seems similar to me to the Theme Weeks. Though you do have to "enter" those by pasting your dragon in the thread, you didn't really do anything for that, either. Certainly with some theme weeks. But there isn't any indication that the staff are doing anything but RNG for those, but we do get pinged if our dragon is picked.... Seems the same.

All the same, I don't really care one way or another. I don't really see the point in it, but it could be fun for some people.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
No support. Sorry, but I just don't see the point, the random dragon section's purpose is just to showcase examples of what players can do with their dragons to visitors, there's nothing special about it.
No support. Sorry, but I just don't see the point, the random dragon section's purpose is just to showcase examples of what players can do with their dragons to visitors, there's nothing special about it.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
For me I think it would just ring hollow to get an automated message telling me that my dragon was featured.
When I get messages from other users, it means something more because a real person actually saw my dragon and took the time to message me about seeing it and/or liking it.
For me I think it would just ring hollow to get an automated message telling me that my dragon was featured.
When I get messages from other users, it means something more because a real person actually saw my dragon and took the time to message me about seeing it and/or liking it.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I fully support. It also would limit the number of post informing me about it on my profile.
I fully support. It also would limit the number of post informing me about it on my profile.
Please call me Ace. ALWAYS PING IF NOT MY FOURM..it helps me respond easier.
1 2 3