Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | On-going beta testers
1 2
So with the revamp of the dragon profile pages, and a lot of voices expressing things they'd have done differently.

I had an idea Flight Rising should have on going game beta testers. I think it would help staff to have a team of players with fresh eyes who can give feedback to the hardworking creators on things like new genes, breeds, apparel, new features and layouts. To help prevent releases that don't go over so well with the majority of players.

I feel so bad when new art or new features don't get a good reception because I know the FR staff work hard on their content, but sometimes they miss the mark. Which on it's own can be painful, but then when the criticisms stop being constructive and turn mean or toxic it's even worse. I'd like to see that stop happening.

Ideally the beta testers would be players who've been around for a while, know the game well, and play regularly. The main concern would be preventing leaks, but I would hope you wouldn't have too much trouble finding devoted players who love this game and only want to help it be better.

If this ever implemented I heartily volunteer! Thank you for reading.
So with the revamp of the dragon profile pages, and a lot of voices expressing things they'd have done differently.

I had an idea Flight Rising should have on going game beta testers. I think it would help staff to have a team of players with fresh eyes who can give feedback to the hardworking creators on things like new genes, breeds, apparel, new features and layouts. To help prevent releases that don't go over so well with the majority of players.

I feel so bad when new art or new features don't get a good reception because I know the FR staff work hard on their content, but sometimes they miss the mark. Which on it's own can be painful, but then when the criticisms stop being constructive and turn mean or toxic it's even worse. I'd like to see that stop happening.

Ideally the beta testers would be players who've been around for a while, know the game well, and play regularly. The main concern would be preventing leaks, but I would hope you wouldn't have too much trouble finding devoted players who love this game and only want to help it be better.

If this ever implemented I heartily volunteer! Thank you for reading.
This is definitely something that I think could help the site get in touch with users more- I agree that there's been a number of recent updates that haven't gone over well, but with a small player base of beta testers, I think that problem could be mitigated at least somewhat.

The only trouble I see is picking users and leaking info- I feel like who testers are would need to be kept secret, and testers would need to sign a NDA to avoid leaks (at least, not without legal repercussions). It's also something I'd love to do, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to.

I like the idea, but I feel like it'd be difficult to implement, so no definitive support or not- I'll just leave my thoughts here.
This is definitely something that I think could help the site get in touch with users more- I agree that there's been a number of recent updates that haven't gone over well, but with a small player base of beta testers, I think that problem could be mitigated at least somewhat.

The only trouble I see is picking users and leaking info- I feel like who testers are would need to be kept secret, and testers would need to sign a NDA to avoid leaks (at least, not without legal repercussions). It's also something I'd love to do, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to.

I like the idea, but I feel like it'd be difficult to implement, so no definitive support or not- I'll just leave my thoughts here.
60eldD0.gif
I occasionally don't get pings because of misspellings. My username is SLP (lowercase), three zeroes, and a one. You can copy and paste it if you're not sure you have it right.
If you want to talk about something troubling you, my PM box is open to everyone! Feel free to reach out whenever, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I'll keep what you say a secret, if you want. It's my pleasure to help out everyone I can!
xKBtilj.gif
You beat me to making this post!

Leaks would be a big concern but I think the ongoing issues with content releases are becoming a bigger problem. Issues like large buttons, weird UI decisions, and highlighting things the playerbase doesn't actually care about (why is the energy bar so big now???) just keep happening.

I would happily do this for free. FR is my favorite game and the only game I've ever loved enough to do fanart for. I'd be so happy to be able to help the site as a beta tester.
You beat me to making this post!

Leaks would be a big concern but I think the ongoing issues with content releases are becoming a bigger problem. Issues like large buttons, weird UI decisions, and highlighting things the playerbase doesn't actually care about (why is the energy bar so big now???) just keep happening.

I would happily do this for free. FR is my favorite game and the only game I've ever loved enough to do fanart for. I'd be so happy to be able to help the site as a beta tester.
Nobody wants to tell you why discipline is so important. Discipline is the strongest form of self-love. It is ignoring current pleasures for bigger rewards to come. It's loving yourself enough to give yourself everything you've ever wanted.
[center][quote name="slp0001" date="2020-06-08 10:35:16" ] This is definitely something that I think could help the site get in touch with users more- I agree that there's been a number of recent updates that haven't gone over well, but with a small player base of beta testers, I think that problem could be mitigated at least somewhat. The only trouble I see is picking users and leaking info- I feel like who testers are would need to be kept secret, and testers would need to sign a NDA to avoid leaks (at least, not without legal repercussions). I like the idea, but I feel like it'd be difficult to implement, so no definitive support or not- I'll just leave my thoughts here. [/quote] Pretty much all of this. ^^^ Not to mention that a small group of the same people testing content every time wouldn't really capture the entire fanbase's opinion: it'd eventually become skewed towards those few's opinions. The testers would need to be swapped/rotated in some manner, I think.
slp0001 wrote on 2020-06-08 10:35:16:

The only trouble I see is picking users and leaking info- I feel like who testers are would need to be kept secret, and testers would need to sign a NDA to avoid leaks (at least, not without legal repercussions).

Pretty much all of this. ^^^

Not to mention that a small group of the same people testing content every time wouldn't really capture the entire fanbase's opinion: it'd eventually become skewed towards those few's opinions. The testers would need to be swapped/rotated in some manner, I think.
Signature Machine Broke
849-gi.png
hh5n4WA.pngXC93sMs.png
wthFnM3.pngYMPbu9R.png
I support this.

However, I think what would be a better option over having only a select few users test the beta is implement a beta option in the account settings. That way every user could toggle it on and off and see the changes to the site beforehand, which gives an opportunity to give input.
I support this.

However, I think what would be a better option over having only a select few users test the beta is implement a beta option in the account settings. That way every user could toggle it on and off and see the changes to the site beforehand, which gives an opportunity to give input.
ePOliyb.png
o7ZCFYm.png
w0wBhk1.png
8O67LBq.png
......... AnRfjMR.png ...Uwvllxw.png...
FR +9 | HE / HIM | TRANSMASC | WISHLIST
Make your crown of teeth and blood and bone
and watch as the ones you hate run back home.
...Uwvllxw.png... J1gYZgp.png
I second the idea of a beta model that people can opt into, try out, and give feedback on!

Otherwise, live development threads for feedback on decently polished concepts before they go through finalization would be nice. Though, as a computer programmer and writer and artist myself, I can imagine why they wouldn't want to have a bunch of folks getting riled up at something that's still rough around the edges.

For things that aren't meant to make it to the public until they're implemented, having some way to rotate out members in the beta test could do something to reduce bias? Though that might just increase the chances of leaks - -;
I second the idea of a beta model that people can opt into, try out, and give feedback on!

Otherwise, live development threads for feedback on decently polished concepts before they go through finalization would be nice. Though, as a computer programmer and writer and artist myself, I can imagine why they wouldn't want to have a bunch of folks getting riled up at something that's still rough around the edges.

For things that aren't meant to make it to the public until they're implemented, having some way to rotate out members in the beta test could do something to reduce bias? Though that might just increase the chances of leaks - -;
6ViIE6G.png5tiydC3.pngsP61dTC.png1foJgUC.png98m5qoi.pngCs9lwMb.png
lJqkpqs.png
i don't really know what to suggest for this, but in general principle i do agree this would be a nice idea to look into. it seems like there have been quite a few releases (especially lately) that would have benefitted from some prior feedback, so regardless of how it's implemented, some kind of beta test system would probably be at least worth considering. it's impossible to please everyone, yes, but in the end, the players keep the site alive, so it might help the site in the end!
i don't really know what to suggest for this, but in general principle i do agree this would be a nice idea to look into. it seems like there have been quite a few releases (especially lately) that would have benefitted from some prior feedback, so regardless of how it's implemented, some kind of beta test system would probably be at least worth considering. it's impossible to please everyone, yes, but in the end, the players keep the site alive, so it might help the site in the end!
Alpha :: FR+0
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
_____ vxsLSdd.png _ ° Wishlist
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
__ TTTYQHv.png 1XIVewE.gif
Yess.

Most games I play have what is called a "Public Test Server". Players need to make a duplicate account of their own for the test server so that the stuff they do there doesn't mess up/alter their Alpha accounts, but participating is easy, voluntary, and not invite-only.

I actually, on the whole, like the revamp - but I also like other people's ideas on how to streamline it!

A PTS for Flight Rising with a feedback page where users could make mockups of what they think would work better and submit them would be SO helpful to the staff. Because honestly, while I DO love the mockups for smoother profiles I've been seeing, I also feel really bad for the staff right now. Just getting a massive wave of criticism probably is something developers are used to by now, but I'm betting it still stings. If they could get feedback on things before they release them, it would probably mitigate a lot of the push back new features get.
Yess.

Most games I play have what is called a "Public Test Server". Players need to make a duplicate account of their own for the test server so that the stuff they do there doesn't mess up/alter their Alpha accounts, but participating is easy, voluntary, and not invite-only.

I actually, on the whole, like the revamp - but I also like other people's ideas on how to streamline it!

A PTS for Flight Rising with a feedback page where users could make mockups of what they think would work better and submit them would be SO helpful to the staff. Because honestly, while I DO love the mockups for smoother profiles I've been seeing, I also feel really bad for the staff right now. Just getting a massive wave of criticism probably is something developers are used to by now, but I'm betting it still stings. If they could get feedback on things before they release them, it would probably mitigate a lot of the push back new features get.
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
I'm not sure UI element changes should ever really be a surprise - new features sure, new breeds, new apparel, new content in general. But redesigns of existing things would, I think, benefit hugely from some sort of open beta program.

Something like how DeviantArt does it would work, I think (minus the part where they totally ignore whatever the userbase's opinion is lol). You opt in, things load with whatever new UI they're working on, you give feedback to a dedicated location (a forum thread maybe?). And non-redesigns don't need to go through this program at all, so that they can keep the surprise element to it.

One potential con to this is all the extra work it'd take on the staff's part though. You'd need someone to put in the time/effort to read all the feedback - probably multiple someones - and of course there's the coding side of it. I imagine maintaining this system would take some extra effort.
On the other hand... It'd be less issues with redesigns overall, so maybe it'd balance out. More work beforehand, but far less after.

Anyway, this is a rambly way to say I support this suggestion (though admittedly I have very little faith in it ever being implemented).
I'm not sure UI element changes should ever really be a surprise - new features sure, new breeds, new apparel, new content in general. But redesigns of existing things would, I think, benefit hugely from some sort of open beta program.

Something like how DeviantArt does it would work, I think (minus the part where they totally ignore whatever the userbase's opinion is lol). You opt in, things load with whatever new UI they're working on, you give feedback to a dedicated location (a forum thread maybe?). And non-redesigns don't need to go through this program at all, so that they can keep the surprise element to it.

One potential con to this is all the extra work it'd take on the staff's part though. You'd need someone to put in the time/effort to read all the feedback - probably multiple someones - and of course there's the coding side of it. I imagine maintaining this system would take some extra effort.
On the other hand... It'd be less issues with redesigns overall, so maybe it'd balance out. More work beforehand, but far less after.

Anyway, this is a rambly way to say I support this suggestion (though admittedly I have very little faith in it ever being implemented).
RUZTraI.png JTWHxfW.gif ======
13thKingdom wrote:
Lightweaver is clearly our Grand Nagus anyway.
She's got the biggest lobes.
I think someone made a thread suggesting beta testers back when the Glowtail mess happened. Designers definitely needs another pair of eye to have a look at things like this every now and then. Support
I think someone made a thread suggesting beta testers back when the Glowtail mess happened. Designers definitely needs another pair of eye to have a look at things like this every now and then. Support
tumblr_inline_p8uk5sITl01qdxu5r_540.giftumblr_p8ubo4fvsj1tcuk4xo1_250.gif
1 2