Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Who Sold an Auction (Discretionary)
1 2 3
As with dragonsage, I wouldn't mind if the buyer could see who the seller was even after the sale, but not the other way around.

While it is nice that players want to return mispriced items, it isn't something that they have to do, nor should they feel forced to do, by having something that would allow the seller to find the buyer, even if it had a toggle.

In fact, I have heard many times, mostly about dragons because those are easier to find the seller of, of buyers returning mispriced items to those they bought from, so I do think that many buyers WOULD go the extra mile and return items. not all of course, but that is one of the reasons why players who sell things, especially higher priced items, should always be very careful in listing. MIstakes happen, they have happened to me, but at the end of the day, it was my mistake, not the buyer's.
As with dragonsage, I wouldn't mind if the buyer could see who the seller was even after the sale, but not the other way around.

While it is nice that players want to return mispriced items, it isn't something that they have to do, nor should they feel forced to do, by having something that would allow the seller to find the buyer, even if it had a toggle.

In fact, I have heard many times, mostly about dragons because those are easier to find the seller of, of buyers returning mispriced items to those they bought from, so I do think that many buyers WOULD go the extra mile and return items. not all of course, but that is one of the reasons why players who sell things, especially higher priced items, should always be very careful in listing. MIstakes happen, they have happened to me, but at the end of the day, it was my mistake, not the buyer's.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Jemadar

I think that's all well-said, so thank you very much for the input throughout all this. :^)
Also, thanks for those cool links in your signature! Showed me some really cool suggestions I'm looking into now.
@Jemadar

I think that's all well-said, so thank you very much for the input throughout all this. :^)
Also, thanks for those cool links in your signature! Showed me some really cool suggestions I'm looking into now.
Waiting 24/7 for death's sweet release (of their next hot mixtape of course)
I agree with other posters that I wouldn't want the social pressure/potential harassment risk of an option to make my name public to the seller...

I would, however, love to be able to see who I bought items from in AH History. I do generally like to return/check up on unusually cheap items (not that it's happened very often) but there's no way to do it other than publicly post and hope. It fits with site rules as well - you bought it, it's yours, even if the seller made a mistake - but gives the owner of the item more options, rather than giving power to the person who doesn't own the item any more.
I agree with other posters that I wouldn't want the social pressure/potential harassment risk of an option to make my name public to the seller...

I would, however, love to be able to see who I bought items from in AH History. I do generally like to return/check up on unusually cheap items (not that it's happened very often) but there's no way to do it other than publicly post and hope. It fits with site rules as well - you bought it, it's yours, even if the seller made a mistake - but gives the owner of the item more options, rather than giving power to the person who doesn't own the item any more.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@Vendrus

I really agree with what you said! I wonder how it could be rectified, probably with the user's name in the AH recent activity section. It wouldn't violate that person's anonymity rights in any way since their name is posted with the purchase they put up.

One of my past purchases says, "Purchased on January 23, 2020." So probably the slight alteration would be, "Purchased on January 23, 2020 from @"Username"."

But you made a very good point, the current owner of an item at that moment in time should have more power in the transaction, no matter circumstances.
@Vendrus

I really agree with what you said! I wonder how it could be rectified, probably with the user's name in the AH recent activity section. It wouldn't violate that person's anonymity rights in any way since their name is posted with the purchase they put up.

One of my past purchases says, "Purchased on January 23, 2020." So probably the slight alteration would be, "Purchased on January 23, 2020 from @"Username"."

But you made a very good point, the current owner of an item at that moment in time should have more power in the transaction, no matter circumstances.
Support. I like it as an opt-in option and I dont think there will be pressure to opt-in either. Anyone caught using this function as an excuse to shame and harass others can be dealt with swiftly with the report tool :)

To further reduce the chance of social pressure, the site will remind everyone of its benevolent intent in its release announcement and discourage anyone from pressuring others into using it. It will be set to anonymous by default, and you would have to go into your account settings to switch the privacy off. Making it a tucked-away option gives the shy users an excuse to fall back on, in the worst-case scenario.

(Edit: lots of rephrasing, woops)
Support. I like it as an opt-in option and I dont think there will be pressure to opt-in either. Anyone caught using this function as an excuse to shame and harass others can be dealt with swiftly with the report tool :)

To further reduce the chance of social pressure, the site will remind everyone of its benevolent intent in its release announcement and discourage anyone from pressuring others into using it. It will be set to anonymous by default, and you would have to go into your account settings to switch the privacy off. Making it a tucked-away option gives the shy users an excuse to fall back on, in the worst-case scenario.

(Edit: lots of rephrasing, woops)
HJLIYn4.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
PngxIP9.png
LDkMPPP.png
8GgdVkW.png
mlHpBMC.png
nWiQNX9.png
n4tYGgU.png
support with the caveat that it only works for the buyer being able to see the seller. I've sniped a few obvious misprices and I'd love an easier way to get in touch with the seller to see if they want them back.

I honestly can't think of any good, non-harassment based case for the seller to be able to easily find the buyer. We have enough of a harassment problem around dragons and exalting as is, I don't think it really needs to be added to.
support with the caveat that it only works for the buyer being able to see the seller. I've sniped a few obvious misprices and I'd love an easier way to get in touch with the seller to see if they want them back.

I honestly can't think of any good, non-harassment based case for the seller to be able to easily find the buyer. We have enough of a harassment problem around dragons and exalting as is, I don't think it really needs to be added to.
[quote name="Bionicdingo" date="2020-01-25 13:20:03" ] support with the caveat that it only works for the buyer being able to see the seller. I've sniped a few obvious misprices and I'd love an easier way to get in touch with the seller to see if they want them back. I honestly can't think of any good, non-harassment based case for the seller to be able to easily find the buyer. We have enough of a harassment problem around dragons and exalting as is, I don't think it really needs to be added to. [/quote] I agree with this, I don't mind if it was easier for the buyer to return mispriced item, but I think the power can get dangerous in the seller's hands, I've seen some sellers get pretty hostile about mispriced items earlier in the sites life. Not to mention as others have mentioned people will go and post it on other sites to start witch hunts.
Bionicdingo wrote on 2020-01-25 13:20:03:

I agree with this, I don't mind if it was easier for the buyer to return mispriced item, but I think the power can get dangerous in the seller's hands, I've seen some sellers get pretty hostile about mispriced items earlier in the sites life.

Not to mention as others have mentioned people will go and post it on other sites to start witch hunts.

[quote name="Doglover287915" date="2020-01-25 15:12:25" ] [quote name="Bionicdingo" date="2020-01-25 13:20:03" ] support with the caveat that it only works for the buyer being able to see the seller. I've sniped a few obvious misprices and I'd love an easier way to get in touch with the seller to see if they want them back. I honestly can't think of any good, non-harassment based case for the seller to be able to easily find the buyer. We have enough of a harassment problem around dragons and exalting as is, I don't think it really needs to be added to. [/quote] I agree with this, I don't mind if it was easier for the buyer to return mispriced item, but I think the power can get dangerous in the seller's hands, I've seen some sellers get pretty hostile about mispriced items earlier in the sites life. Not to mention as others have mentioned people will go and post it on other sites to start witch hunts. [/quote] @Doglover287915 I've actually updated my idea on the original post, because after all of your guys' insight I've really considered what you've said and I agree a lot with the owner of the item/dragon having the most power to right any wrongs with a transaction. It makes a lot more sense to me, and I think my original idea was negligent of that. @Luce I do like your approach though, if there were to be a check-mark option for it to be more tucked away, so that the player base that does turn on the option is very intentional about doing so. I also was generally thinking along the same lines that in the announcement of the feature, the FR group would stress what the purpose is, and how it isn't for harassment. :^)
Doglover287915 wrote on 2020-01-25 15:12:25:
Bionicdingo wrote on 2020-01-25 13:20:03:

I agree with this, I don't mind if it was easier for the buyer to return mispriced item, but I think the power can get dangerous in the seller's hands, I've seen some sellers get pretty hostile about mispriced items earlier in the sites life.

Not to mention as others have mentioned people will go and post it on other sites to start witch hunts.

@Doglover287915
I've actually updated my idea on the original post, because after all of your guys' insight I've really considered what you've said and I agree a lot with the owner of the item/dragon having the most power to right any wrongs with a transaction. It makes a lot more sense to me, and I think my original idea was negligent of that.

@Luce
I do like your approach though, if there were to be a check-mark option for it to be more tucked away, so that the player base that does turn on the option is very intentional about doing so. I also was generally thinking along the same lines that in the announcement of the feature, the FR group would stress what the purpose is, and how it isn't for harassment. :^)
[quote] I also was generally thinking along the same lines that in the announcement of the feature, the FR group would stress what the purpose is, and how it isn't for harassment. :^)[/quote] You know what always keeps people from harassing people? Someone waggling a finger at them and saying "now make sure you don't harass anyone" Staff saying "plz don't" strikes me as being about as effective as a schoolteacher giving an impassioned speech about how they don't want any bullies in their classroom. In general, what works is limiting opportunities, especially in cases where I can [i]guarantee[/i] that 90% of the harassment would not be initiated by someone going "I want to ruin someone's day!" but rather assuming that "[b]I'm[/b] not a harasser. I could NEVER be that person. I just want to complain to/about this person!"
Quote:
I also was generally thinking along the same lines that in the announcement of the feature, the FR group would stress what the purpose is, and how it isn't for harassment. :^)

You know what always keeps people from harassing people? Someone waggling a finger at them and saying "now make sure you don't harass anyone"

Staff saying "plz don't" strikes me as being about as effective as a schoolteacher giving an impassioned speech about how they don't want any bullies in their classroom.

In general, what works is limiting opportunities, especially in cases where I can guarantee that 90% of the harassment would not be initiated by someone going "I want to ruin someone's day!" but rather assuming that "I'm not a harasser. I could NEVER be that person. I just want to complain to/about this person!"
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
[quote name="LordJeanliness" date="2020-01-26 01:04:56" ] [quote] I also was generally thinking along the same lines that in the announcement of the feature, the FR group would stress what the purpose is, and how it isn't for harassment. :^)[/quote] You know what always keeps people from harassing people? Someone waggling a finger at them and saying "now make sure you don't harass anyone" Staff saying "plz don't" strikes me as being about as effective as a schoolteacher giving an impassioned speech about how they don't want any bullies in their classroom. In general, what works is limiting opportunities, especially in cases where I can [i]guarantee[/i] that 90% of the harassment would not be initiated by someone going "I want to ruin someone's day!" but rather assuming that "[b]I'm[/b] not a harasser. I could NEVER be that person. I just want to complain to/about this person!" [/quote] Remember we're just talking giving users anonymity on AH, which really isnt that controversial because it's already a thing. I really doubt many users are going to feasibly start a witch hunt and discrimination campaign against "Private" users. How would they even know the buyer/seller's identity if it's anonymous in the first place? And if they do manage to try to harass others over something as petty as that, they will get laughed off this website and shamed.
LordJeanliness wrote on 2020-01-26 01:04:56:
Quote:
I also was generally thinking along the same lines that in the announcement of the feature, the FR group would stress what the purpose is, and how it isn't for harassment. :^)

You know what always keeps people from harassing people? Someone waggling a finger at them and saying "now make sure you don't harass anyone"

Staff saying "plz don't" strikes me as being about as effective as a schoolteacher giving an impassioned speech about how they don't want any bullies in their classroom.

In general, what works is limiting opportunities, especially in cases where I can guarantee that 90% of the harassment would not be initiated by someone going "I want to ruin someone's day!" but rather assuming that "I'm not a harasser. I could NEVER be that person. I just want to complain to/about this person!"
Remember we're just talking giving users anonymity on AH, which really isnt that controversial because it's already a thing. I really doubt many users are going to feasibly start a witch hunt and discrimination campaign against "Private" users. How would they even know the buyer/seller's identity if it's anonymous in the first place? And if they do manage to try to harass others over something as petty as that, they will get laughed off this website and shamed.
HJLIYn4.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
PngxIP9.png
LDkMPPP.png
8GgdVkW.png
mlHpBMC.png
nWiQNX9.png
n4tYGgU.png
1 2 3