Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Block/Hide Threads
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
@buggy101 Sounds like you need a break from the internet then. (No offense intended.)
@buggy101 Sounds like you need a break from the internet then. (No offense intended.)
187008e47976df5e48be1a2aaddf54ba4af76fbc.gif
@PocketVampire
I was just stating that there are some of us who get really bothered by certain threads, no need to be rude.
@PocketVampire
I was just stating that there are some of us who get really bothered by certain threads, no need to be rude.
For me, every day is World Kindness Day. b59f9d9c-60d2-11eb-95e1-814ec59a413c.gifa663c882-026b-11eb-9626-db1f1f278684.gif
@buggy101 Wasn't being rude, dude. Just stating what I thought was obvious.
@buggy101 Wasn't being rude, dude. Just stating what I thought was obvious.
@PocketVampire

People are asking to curate their internet experience on their own terms, to fit their needs.

Telling someone to get off the entire internet is both rude and unhelpful when only a small section of one site they frequent presents an often enough issue that they might ask to get a way to not see it.
@PocketVampire

People are asking to curate their internet experience on their own terms, to fit their needs.

Telling someone to get off the entire internet is both rude and unhelpful when only a small section of one site they frequent presents an often enough issue that they might ask to get a way to not see it.
Nq0eoGi.png
@PocketVampire

I'd like to mention that I, myself am in a rough place emotionally and certain threads are detrimental to my mood (admittedly, it does sound a little dramatic, but at this time it doesn't take much to ruin my mood) and I don't always remember which threads trigger that; I do not want to hide away from the forums - or the internet - altogether because something is harmful to my mental health. Flight Rising is a safe space not only for myself, but a lot of people. Those of us who are a little more sensitive (temporarily or otherwise) don't want to visit the forums - often a source of comfort - because of it.

Flight Rising is supposed to be enjoyable, so it is disheartening when something pops up that disrupts that enjoyment. I often have to back away when a new update is posted because I am genuinely afraid of potentially upsetting topics - for example, expressing criticism, provided it is constructive, is fine and good. However, I am easily overwhelmed by negativity and prefer to avoid a lot of it, which often means backing out of discussion forums for a week or so until I'm ready to return (to be honest, it's part of the reason I'm currently on hiatus; some threads are difficult to deal with when my mental health is at a low point).

Not to mention, hiding threads is a way to get threads you are not interested in out of the way so that you can very focus on what you are interested in, if that makes sense.

Edit for clarification:
I can tolerate constructive criticism, as long as it remains wholly civil and calm. More...passionate criticism knock me emotionally - that isn't to say I think they should stop, or that they are inherently wrong. I just tend to be sensitive to those kinds of things.
@PocketVampire

I'd like to mention that I, myself am in a rough place emotionally and certain threads are detrimental to my mood (admittedly, it does sound a little dramatic, but at this time it doesn't take much to ruin my mood) and I don't always remember which threads trigger that; I do not want to hide away from the forums - or the internet - altogether because something is harmful to my mental health. Flight Rising is a safe space not only for myself, but a lot of people. Those of us who are a little more sensitive (temporarily or otherwise) don't want to visit the forums - often a source of comfort - because of it.

Flight Rising is supposed to be enjoyable, so it is disheartening when something pops up that disrupts that enjoyment. I often have to back away when a new update is posted because I am genuinely afraid of potentially upsetting topics - for example, expressing criticism, provided it is constructive, is fine and good. However, I am easily overwhelmed by negativity and prefer to avoid a lot of it, which often means backing out of discussion forums for a week or so until I'm ready to return (to be honest, it's part of the reason I'm currently on hiatus; some threads are difficult to deal with when my mental health is at a low point).

Not to mention, hiding threads is a way to get threads you are not interested in out of the way so that you can very focus on what you are interested in, if that makes sense.

Edit for clarification:
I can tolerate constructive criticism, as long as it remains wholly civil and calm. More...passionate criticism knock me emotionally - that isn't to say I think they should stop, or that they are inherently wrong. I just tend to be sensitive to those kinds of things.
frostbite_by_worryingsquarewave-d8a2x4y.gif
@Cadash No offense.

@TheClassCalico All I was saying is if people are that easily affected by threads then there is an issue with how the person processes things, not the content. Exposure therapy is something you should look into.
@Cadash No offense.

@TheClassCalico All I was saying is if people are that easily affected by threads then there is an issue with how the person processes things, not the content. Exposure therapy is something you should look into.
@PocketVampire

People wanting to block certain things on a site to make their experience better, for whatever reasons that might be, isn't something to seek therapy for.

I had to block people because they spammed nonsense posts in FRD and I was tried of seeing them. Other users have different reasons.

If you cannot give a reason why this is a BAD idea for the staff to implement, I suggest you discontinue arguing with others over how they wish to spend time on the internet.
@PocketVampire

People wanting to block certain things on a site to make their experience better, for whatever reasons that might be, isn't something to seek therapy for.

I had to block people because they spammed nonsense posts in FRD and I was tried of seeing them. Other users have different reasons.

If you cannot give a reason why this is a BAD idea for the staff to implement, I suggest you discontinue arguing with others over how they wish to spend time on the internet.
Nq0eoGi.png
Please, for heaven's sake, yes. Despite the rule saying that thread titles can't be clickbait or completely useless, there are so many that do that, which means I can't keep straight what they're about/if they were of any interest to me/whether I've already clicked them. I end up being suckered in by the same irritating bit of spam throughout the course of its life on the first few pages and it drives me not to look at the forums as often as I otherwise would.

I don't want to block a whole person just because I have zero interest in ever seeing a specific thread again! Blocking is a very final measure--particularly because we have no way of making and keeping notes on why a person was blocked when we do so--and cuts a whole player out of our personal circles and everything we do. In five and a half years of play, I have exactly one person blocked... and I've lately been thinking about taking them off again. I'm not about to start slinging every other person onto a blocklist just because they started a thread full of really dull jokes or are the latest one to post a suggestion without checking to see whether there were already 50 exactly like it. I'd much rather be able to grey out a thread title or have it replaced with a bar that says "thread hidden, click to reveal" and still have the ability to talk to the OP somewhere else about something totally different.
Please, for heaven's sake, yes. Despite the rule saying that thread titles can't be clickbait or completely useless, there are so many that do that, which means I can't keep straight what they're about/if they were of any interest to me/whether I've already clicked them. I end up being suckered in by the same irritating bit of spam throughout the course of its life on the first few pages and it drives me not to look at the forums as often as I otherwise would.

I don't want to block a whole person just because I have zero interest in ever seeing a specific thread again! Blocking is a very final measure--particularly because we have no way of making and keeping notes on why a person was blocked when we do so--and cuts a whole player out of our personal circles and everything we do. In five and a half years of play, I have exactly one person blocked... and I've lately been thinking about taking them off again. I'm not about to start slinging every other person onto a blocklist just because they started a thread full of really dull jokes or are the latest one to post a suggestion without checking to see whether there were already 50 exactly like it. I'd much rather be able to grey out a thread title or have it replaced with a bar that says "thread hidden, click to reveal" and still have the ability to talk to the OP somewhere else about something totally different.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
@Cadash Lying in one's bed and all that.
@Cadash Lying in one's bed and all that.
@PocketVampire

Exposure therapy to some degree is important, but inadvertently exposing yourself to upsetting content when you're already in a fragile state of mind can be problematic; I strongly believe that somebody shouldn't be nervous to utilize forums because of certain threads.

It should be that users' choice where and how they go about exposure therapy. Heck, ultimately it should be their choice to expose themselves to it at all - it is, for many, healthy to expose themselves to what makes them nervous, but that doesn't mean that it should be absolutely mandatory.

I'm exposed to it off-site, unrelated to Flight Rising - in 'real-life', other websites (whether I like it or not; I do try to acknowledge it, at least), but I'm dubious about viewing it on comfort sites such as here.

Normally, it wouldn't bother me as much as it does today, but right now, I'm trying to recuperate/staying away from until my mental health improves again.

TL;DR - I don't think somebody should be obligated to expose themselves to what they don't like. Even if it can potentially be beneficial. For many, this place is a happy place, and they don't wish to have their mood ruined by threads that upset them.

Additionally, I'm reiterate-- emotional reasons aren't the only benefit - sometimes, filtering threads you do not care for is just helpful! It doesn't harm anybody, and it makes things easier for the user who hid the thread.
@PocketVampire

Exposure therapy to some degree is important, but inadvertently exposing yourself to upsetting content when you're already in a fragile state of mind can be problematic; I strongly believe that somebody shouldn't be nervous to utilize forums because of certain threads.

It should be that users' choice where and how they go about exposure therapy. Heck, ultimately it should be their choice to expose themselves to it at all - it is, for many, healthy to expose themselves to what makes them nervous, but that doesn't mean that it should be absolutely mandatory.

I'm exposed to it off-site, unrelated to Flight Rising - in 'real-life', other websites (whether I like it or not; I do try to acknowledge it, at least), but I'm dubious about viewing it on comfort sites such as here.

Normally, it wouldn't bother me as much as it does today, but right now, I'm trying to recuperate/staying away from until my mental health improves again.

TL;DR - I don't think somebody should be obligated to expose themselves to what they don't like. Even if it can potentially be beneficial. For many, this place is a happy place, and they don't wish to have their mood ruined by threads that upset them.

Additionally, I'm reiterate-- emotional reasons aren't the only benefit - sometimes, filtering threads you do not care for is just helpful! It doesn't harm anybody, and it makes things easier for the user who hid the thread.
frostbite_by_worryingsquarewave-d8a2x4y.gif
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11