Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change Cloudberry Item Names
1 2
[quote name="Greyjoy" date="2018-08-17 12:16:30" ] Support, to be honest. I disagree with Ismaiel. If you're going to name something with the same name as something on Earth, at least try to be accurate. It just shows a lack of research when things are named that way and 'Oh, well on SORNIETH obviously they're WHITE' just makes the items sound stupid, or the people who named them look uneducated. [/quote] I disagree with this. For one, this is a fantasy. Things don't have to exactly match up with their 'real life counterparts' For another, by the logic of 'try to be accurate' it means that all horses must only come in earth colors, look exactly like horses. Horses with sharp teeth because they are meat eaters, or who may have claws or who come in fantastical colors can't exist, because if it is called a horse, it MUST look like an Earth horse. They can't have strange proportions or anything that might set this worlds horses differently to another world's horses. Again, just because the name is used in real life, doesn't mean that people have to stick to it 100%. Plus, the term 'cloud berry' is rather generic. I have seen it used in many different areas and never knew it actually existed, because it is basically a berry that looks like a cloud. For some that means white, for other it means like the above picture, for some it might mean both. So, ultimately, no support, mainly because I don't really like the examples given (except potentially dragon fruit, but having never seen the inside of one, I would have never known they were white inside)
Greyjoy wrote on 2018-08-17 12:16:30:
Support, to be honest.

I disagree with Ismaiel. If you're going to name something with the same name as something on Earth, at least try to be accurate. It just shows a lack of research when things are named that way and 'Oh, well on SORNIETH obviously they're WHITE' just makes the items sound stupid, or the people who named them look uneducated.
I disagree with this.

For one, this is a fantasy. Things don't have to exactly match up with their 'real life counterparts'

For another, by the logic of 'try to be accurate' it means that all horses must only come in earth colors, look exactly like horses. Horses with sharp teeth because they are meat eaters, or who may have claws or who come in fantastical colors can't exist, because if it is called a horse, it MUST look like an Earth horse. They can't have strange proportions or anything that might set this worlds horses differently to another world's horses.

Again, just because the name is used in real life, doesn't mean that people have to stick to it 100%. Plus, the term 'cloud berry' is rather generic. I have seen it used in many different areas and never knew it actually existed, because it is basically a berry that looks like a cloud. For some that means white, for other it means like the above picture, for some it might mean both.

So, ultimately, no support, mainly because I don't really like the examples given (except potentially dragon fruit, but having never seen the inside of one, I would have never known they were white inside)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@jemadar

The problem with Pitaya/Dragonfruit is that's it's already considered a color in the pink range, meaning that if it was changed to that, someone in a couple months from now would ask for a rename, because the pitaya feathers don't match the irl color called pitaya.

@jemadar

The problem with Pitaya/Dragonfruit is that's it's already considered a color in the pink range, meaning that if it was changed to that, someone in a couple months from now would ask for a rename, because the pitaya feathers don't match the irl color called pitaya.

[quote name="BBean" date="2018-08-17 11:21:52" ] >plumes: fluffy like clouds >clouds: white >berry: going along with the theme but sorta irrelevent admittedly Seems fine to me, personally. [/quote]I agree with this logic, and I agree with this logic as well: [quote name="Jemadar" date="2018-08-17 12:37:08" ] For one, this is a fantasy. Things don't have to exactly match up with their 'real life counterparts' [/quote]
BBean wrote on 2018-08-17 11:21:52:
>plumes: fluffy like clouds
>clouds: white
>berry: going along with the theme but sorta irrelevent admittedly

Seems fine to me, personally.
I agree with this logic, and I agree with this logic as well:
Jemadar wrote on 2018-08-17 12:37:08:
For one, this is a fantasy. Things don't have to exactly match up with their 'real life counterparts'
ZQGfAQY.png
@Jemadar There's a big difference between your horse example, and this. Making horse-like animals on FR is using horses for inspiration, and altering them for a fantasy universe. This is just straight up using the wrong colour and using the name anyway. This is like calling a dog a horse and just insisting it's because FANTASY. Horses on Sornieth might well wag their tails and bark! This would be the same as naming an item colour set 'Canary' and it being purple. It makes no sense all to name an item set after an earth fruit, but in entirely the wrong colour. I could understand it if there was a white food item in FR called a Cloudberry. But there aren't even Cloudberries in FR, are there? As such, since the 'oh well the fantasy counterpart is white obvs' is obviously incorrect at this time, I'm going to support the name change until they introduce a food item called a Cloudberry, that is white. When they do, it'll be fine? This is like calling a bright red item 'pineapple' and expecting people to not say anything because [i]fantasy fantasy fantasy[/i]. Incidentally (and the reason I'm pinging you), some Dragonfruit are a vibrant pink/purple inside! They aren't all white! c: [img]http://cdn3.craftsy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/dragonfruit_halves_krisgaliciabrown.jpg[/img] Unfortunately, they don't taste as zingy and vibrant as they look. 8( Edit: Also the examples given are boring, but there is a fruit called a Snowberry that's white. Mistletoe berries are also white.
@Jemadar

There's a big difference between your horse example, and this.

Making horse-like animals on FR is using horses for inspiration, and altering them for a fantasy universe. This is just straight up using the wrong colour and using the name anyway. This is like calling a dog a horse and just insisting it's because FANTASY. Horses on Sornieth might well wag their tails and bark!

This would be the same as naming an item colour set 'Canary' and it being purple. It makes no sense all to name an item set after an earth fruit, but in entirely the wrong colour. I could understand it if there was a white food item in FR called a Cloudberry. But there aren't even Cloudberries in FR, are there?

As such, since the 'oh well the fantasy counterpart is white obvs' is obviously incorrect at this time, I'm going to support the name change until they introduce a food item called a Cloudberry, that is white. When they do, it'll be fine?

This is like calling a bright red item 'pineapple' and expecting people to not say anything because fantasy fantasy fantasy.

Incidentally (and the reason I'm pinging you), some Dragonfruit are a vibrant pink/purple inside! They aren't all white! c:

dragonfruit_halves_krisgaliciabrown.jpg

Unfortunately, they don't taste as zingy and vibrant as they look. 8(

Edit: Also the examples given are boring, but there is a fruit called a Snowberry that's white. Mistletoe berries are also white.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
[quote name="Greyjoy" date="2018-08-17 13:05:25" ] Incidentally (and the reason I'm pinging you), some Dragonfruit are a vibrant pink/purple inside! They aren't all white! c: [img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1294/9917/products/IMG_7035_1024x1024.JPG?v=1473541870[/img] [/quote] I want that dragonfruit. (They're super tasty anyway and it looks cool as heck). That doesn't change the fact that it just doesn't matter to a lot of people. I knew cloudberries didn't look like that, but it's something that a) a lot of people aren't going to automatically recognise, unlike canary or pineapple, and b) the colour suits the name better than the real berry does. [item=Common Sparrow] isn't a sparrow of any kind. It's a Goldfinch. [item=Duskrat] is a mouse [item=Blue-throated hummingbird] is brown, not green. [item=Shrew] just... no. But like the cloudberry apparel none of them are common enough knowledge or widely spread such that they're going to jar with a significant proportion of the userbase. Technically speaking, I wouldn't be upset about snowberry or goldfinch or duskmouse or straight up renames. I just think that it's not relevant to a fantasy world like FR, or worth spending time on (and then seeing all the posts complaining about the name changes) (I'm a bit sad about the wrasse fish now though, cause those are parrotfish if every I saw one)
Greyjoy wrote on 2018-08-17 13:05:25:
Incidentally (and the reason I'm pinging you), some Dragonfruit are a vibrant pink/purple inside! They aren't all white! c:

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1294/9917/products/IMG_7035_1024x1024.JPG?v=1473541870[/img]

I want that dragonfruit.
(They're super tasty anyway and it looks cool as heck).

That doesn't change the fact that it just doesn't matter to a lot of people. I knew cloudberries didn't look like that, but it's something that a) a lot of people aren't going to automatically recognise, unlike canary or pineapple, and b) the colour suits the name better than the real berry does.

Common Sparrow isn't a sparrow of any kind. It's a Goldfinch.
Duskrat is a mouse
Blue-Throated Hummingbird is brown, not green.
Shrew just... no.

But like the cloudberry apparel none of them are common enough knowledge or widely spread such that they're going to jar with a significant proportion of the userbase.

Technically speaking, I wouldn't be upset about snowberry or goldfinch or duskmouse or straight up renames. I just think that it's not relevant to a fantasy world like FR, or worth spending time on (and then seeing all the posts complaining about the name changes)

(I'm a bit sad about the wrasse fish now though, cause those are parrotfish if every I saw one)
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@Greyjoy

Except that color can be heavily influenced by environment.

Look at some flowers. If they have an iron rich soil, they turn one color, if they have an iron deficient soil they will be another color.

So what is to say that a fantasy (or sci fi) world doesn't have canaries that aren't yellow or Pineapples that are a brilliant blue.

I would expect that there was SOME explanation about it, (such as the soil one for flowers) but to me, color is one of the least important aspects of an object (in regards to what it is) if it looks like a pineapple, smells like a pineapple, then no matter the color, it IS a pineapple.

Take sapphire. Everyone considers it a blue color, so someone calling a 'yellow' jewel a sapphire would be wrong, right? Nope, sapphires come in multiple colors (blew my mind when I learned enough to realize that...) So, someone having a sapphire yellow jerkin would be correct. Maybe all their sapphires are yellow and the blue ones are the rarest ones.

So, perhaps Sornieth's cloudberries are cloudberries in all but color. Something in their environment makes them white instead of the yucky color they are on Earth. Everything else, texture, taste, looks, growth pattern etc... is the same as Earth's.

(and I am one of the people who tend to look askance at people naming colors completely different from what I expect, like a green 'Canary'. However, again, this is a fantasy world, and some suspension of belief is necessary. For a story that does this, I expect some type of explanation as to why their Canaries are green. However, for a game, it gets a bit harder to explain name choices, though I think it would be great for them to release a white 'cloudberry' item.)

Also, thanks for that image of Pitaya, I never knew that much about them, other than what they looked like on the outside, so I always assumed that the insides were like the right image, and not the white of the left. That is interesting to know.
@Greyjoy

Except that color can be heavily influenced by environment.

Look at some flowers. If they have an iron rich soil, they turn one color, if they have an iron deficient soil they will be another color.

So what is to say that a fantasy (or sci fi) world doesn't have canaries that aren't yellow or Pineapples that are a brilliant blue.

I would expect that there was SOME explanation about it, (such as the soil one for flowers) but to me, color is one of the least important aspects of an object (in regards to what it is) if it looks like a pineapple, smells like a pineapple, then no matter the color, it IS a pineapple.

Take sapphire. Everyone considers it a blue color, so someone calling a 'yellow' jewel a sapphire would be wrong, right? Nope, sapphires come in multiple colors (blew my mind when I learned enough to realize that...) So, someone having a sapphire yellow jerkin would be correct. Maybe all their sapphires are yellow and the blue ones are the rarest ones.

So, perhaps Sornieth's cloudberries are cloudberries in all but color. Something in their environment makes them white instead of the yucky color they are on Earth. Everything else, texture, taste, looks, growth pattern etc... is the same as Earth's.

(and I am one of the people who tend to look askance at people naming colors completely different from what I expect, like a green 'Canary'. However, again, this is a fantasy world, and some suspension of belief is necessary. For a story that does this, I expect some type of explanation as to why their Canaries are green. However, for a game, it gets a bit harder to explain name choices, though I think it would be great for them to release a white 'cloudberry' item.)

Also, thanks for that image of Pitaya, I never knew that much about them, other than what they looked like on the outside, so I always assumed that the insides were like the right image, and not the white of the left. That is interesting to know.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I feel that it makes sense since Sornieth is a different world, and clouds are usually white. A dragon could have seen these berries, and noted their resemblance to the clouds- and they were named 'cloudberries'. The name makes sense, and isn't obviously named after something that exists in our world.

But for items named after something from our world that obviously isn't what its named after - that should be fixed. There's no logical fantasy reason for that, not as far as I can see.

So, no support for changing the cloudberry name, but support for some other changes.
I feel that it makes sense since Sornieth is a different world, and clouds are usually white. A dragon could have seen these berries, and noted their resemblance to the clouds- and they were named 'cloudberries'. The name makes sense, and isn't obviously named after something that exists in our world.

But for items named after something from our world that obviously isn't what its named after - that should be fixed. There's no logical fantasy reason for that, not as far as I can see.

So, no support for changing the cloudberry name, but support for some other changes.
spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
I’ve got an idea! How about lychee? [img]https://www.naturalfoodseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Lychee-Fruit.jpg[/img] It’s white on the inside, and absolutely delicious. I originally thought coconut, but coconuts are brown and hairy and the brown-hairy thing comes to mind when I think coconut. And jicama would be a little more off-white than white. So...lychee.
I’ve got an idea! How about lychee?
Lychee-Fruit.jpg
It’s white on the inside, and absolutely delicious. I originally thought coconut, but coconuts are brown and hairy and the brown-hairy thing comes to mind when I think coconut. And jicama would be a little more off-white than white.

So...lychee.
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
Yups, I'd be fine with lychee.
Yups, I'd be fine with lychee.
1 2