Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Legacy eye type
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57 58
Support!

This feels like a nice middle ground for people who preferred the old common eye colors, and the new standardized colors that staff wants.

I've got a few accents on my Spiral that add extra eyes that were designed to match the old eyes, and since their eyes are so large it's easy to see now that the new eyes don't match. Specifically, Wind are much lighter and Shadow are much darker, and it's really bothering me, especially since none of the new types match either so I can't just scatter them to fix it.
Support!

This feels like a nice middle ground for people who preferred the old common eye colors, and the new standardized colors that staff wants.

I've got a few accents on my Spiral that add extra eyes that were designed to match the old eyes, and since their eyes are so large it's easy to see now that the new eyes don't match. Specifically, Wind are much lighter and Shadow are much darker, and it's really bothering me, especially since none of the new types match either so I can't just scatter them to fix it.
KUs4mKR.png yaSdaPU.pngNJq1GMz.png
Feel free to call me Lil and please ping me if you need to get my attention.
Don't support this, personally.

The eyes needed to be standardized, and the staff have made it very clear that they have the right to change art aspects on the site at their discretion. Adding "legacy" eyes is just another layer of eye-related complexity.

(Tbh, I genuinely do not notice the change on all but my light dragons, and even on those it's extremely subtle and I don't think I'd have picked up on it if it weren't for other users commenting.)

The eyes needed to be standardized, and the staff have made it very clear that they have the right to change art aspects on the site at their discretion. Adding "legacy" eyes is just another layer of eye-related complexity.

(Tbh, I genuinely do not notice the change on all but my light dragons, and even on those it's extremely subtle and I don't think I'd have picked up on it if it weren't for other users commenting.)
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
[quote name="Tuberose" date="2018-06-11 19:15:14" ] Don't support this, personally. The eyes needed to be standardized, and the staff have made it very clear that they have the right to change art aspects on the site at their discretion. Adding "legacy" eyes is just another layer of eye-related complexity. (Tbh, I genuinely do not notice the change on all but my light dragons, and even on those it's extremely subtle and I don't think I'd have picked up on it if it weren't for other users commenting.) [/quote] I mean... if you don't notice much of a change at all, and if it's possible to code, is there really any harm in adding it as an option for those who want it? They've said they'll be adding new eyes anyway; why not add "legacy" eyes to the pool? How would it be any different than adding any other new eye type? Plague eyes have gotten noticeably darker on almost all breeds, and there is currently no brighter alternative for them, since Uncommon and Unusual are even darker and Rare is pale red/green. I definitely noticed a change in my G1 Plague PC when I checked my lair on update day. :'o
Tuberose wrote on 2018-06-11 19:15:14:

I mean... if you don't notice much of a change at all, and if it's possible to code, is there really any harm in adding it as an option for those who want it? They've said they'll be adding new eyes anyway; why not add "legacy" eyes to the pool? How would it be any different than adding any other new eye type?

Plague eyes have gotten noticeably darker on almost all breeds, and there is currently no brighter alternative for them, since Uncommon and Unusual are even darker and Rare is pale red/green. I definitely noticed a change in my G1 Plague PC when I checked my lair on update day. :'o
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
@Tuberose

Out of genuine curiosity (since you're the only no-support so far, I'd like to understand so I can improve the suggestion): why is it critical to 'standardization' that my Plague Fae cannot have the same bright red eyes she had in the past, but totally fine that she can have eyes from what seems to be another breed all over her body, or a seething mass of pustules that aren't even her element's color? There's no consistency in how each flight's different tints work; Plague and Ice's get darker, Shadow's get lighter then darker, Light has one indistinguishable from Earth, etc. I don't see what new complexity a Legacy type would add; it's just another tint option, and they've already said they're planning to add more new eye types in the future.

(Edit: and also everything @Ningyo said a lot faster than I could. xD)
@Tuberose

Out of genuine curiosity (since you're the only no-support so far, I'd like to understand so I can improve the suggestion): why is it critical to 'standardization' that my Plague Fae cannot have the same bright red eyes she had in the past, but totally fine that she can have eyes from what seems to be another breed all over her body, or a seething mass of pustules that aren't even her element's color? There's no consistency in how each flight's different tints work; Plague and Ice's get darker, Shadow's get lighter then darker, Light has one indistinguishable from Earth, etc. I don't see what new complexity a Legacy type would add; it's just another tint option, and they've already said they're planning to add more new eye types in the future.

(Edit: and also everything @Ningyo said a lot faster than I could. xD)
There are a couple issues with "legacy" eyes:

- some breeds have more substantial differences than others
- some eye/flight colors were changed more than others

If "legacy" eyes are introduced, that gives some flights and breeds more options than others, which feels simultaneously kind of unfair and rather sloppy, as a feature.

If, instead, the eyes are a toggle, this is less of an issue on the player end, but is still a huge strain on the site, requiring staff to preserve old art assets on the server, with two versions of every single dragon existing at once. Trying to make a distinction between dragons born before and after the anniversary event instead makes the code a nightmare to implement.

Simply put, I don't want to ask this of staff, and would rather they focused their efforts elsewhere (for example, on releasing "revert to common" eye vials and on potentially rereleasing the scattersights).

If "legacy" eyes are introduced, that gives some flights and breeds more options than others, which feels simultaneously kind of unfair and rather sloppy, as a feature.

If, instead, the eyes are a toggle, this is less of an issue on the player end, but is still a huge strain on the site, requiring staff to preserve old art assets on the server, with two versions of every single dragon existing at once. Trying to make a distinction between dragons born before and after the anniversary event instead makes the code a nightmare to implement.

Simply put, I don't want to ask this of staff, and would rather they focused their efforts elsewhere (for example, on releasing "revert to common" eye vials and on potentially rereleasing the scattersights).

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
[quote name="Tuberose" date="2018-06-11 19:56:07" ] If "legacy" eyes are introduced, that gives some flights and breeds more options than others, which feels simultaneously kind of unfair and rather sloppy, as a feature. [/quote] QUESTION: How would it be unfair if EVERY flight had access to "legacy" eyes? HOW is it giving some flights MORE options if EVERY flight had them? Your statement doesn't make a LICK of sense!
Tuberose wrote on 2018-06-11 19:56:07:

QUESTION: How would it be unfair if EVERY flight had access to "legacy" eyes? HOW is it giving some flights MORE options if EVERY flight had them? Your statement doesn't make a LICK of sense!
Proprietor and Leader of the Midnight Parade
nudX0O8.png
[quote name="Tuberose" date="2018-06-11 19:56:07" ] There are a couple issues with "legacy" eyes: - some breeds have more substantial differences than others - some eye/flight colors were changed more than others If "legacy" eyes are introduced, that gives some flights and breeds more options than others, which feels simultaneously kind of unfair and rather sloppy, as a feature. If, instead, the eyes are a toggle, this is less of an issue on the player end, but is still a huge strain on the site, requiring staff to preserve old art assets on the server, with two versions of every single dragon existing at once. Trying to make a distinction between dragons born before and after the anniversary event instead makes the code a nightmare to implement. Simply put, I don't want to ask this of staff, and would rather they focused their efforts elsewhere (for example, on releasing "revert to common" eye vials and on potentially rereleasing the scattersights). [/quote] I agree with you about the toggle, I don't think it's the optimal way to do it. What I meant in the original post was a vial that could apply the type to multiple dragons, not a site toggle, and I've reworded the original post to clarify that--I didn't even think about it being read that way. (And as I acknowledged there, in a perfect world that unlimited vial would be the most 'fair' option, but I know limiting it by age would be a nightmare to code.) As to giving some flights/breeds more options than others, I understand your point there, but I'd also point out that on many breeds you can't tell the difference between half the new tints anyway; people have already been complaining about that. And as a member of Wind I can barely tell the difference between my own flight's tints in most cases. So, I see what you're saying, but I disagree, and I imagine we won't convince each other. But I do appreciate you explaining your side of it!

I agree with you about the toggle, I don't think it's the optimal way to do it. What I meant in the original post was a vial that could apply the type to multiple dragons, not a site toggle, and I've reworded the original post to clarify that--I didn't even think about it being read that way. (And as I acknowledged there, in a perfect world that unlimited vial would be the most 'fair' option, but I know limiting it by age would be a nightmare to code.)

As to giving some flights/breeds more options than others, I understand your point there, but I'd also point out that on many breeds you can't tell the difference between half the new tints anyway; people have already been complaining about that. And as a member of Wind I can barely tell the difference between my own flight's tints in most cases. So, I see what you're saying, but I disagree, and I imagine we won't convince each other. But I do appreciate you explaining your side of it!
[quote name="SnyperLady" date="2018-06-11 20:03:43" ] [quote name="Tuberose" date="2018-06-11 19:56:07" ] If "legacy" eyes are introduced, that gives some flights and breeds more options than others, which feels simultaneously kind of unfair and rather sloppy, as a feature. [/quote] QUESTION: How would it be unfair if EVERY flight had access to "legacy" eyes? HOW is it giving some flights MORE options if EVERY flight had them? Your statement doesn't make a LICK of sense! [/quote] I explained how it's uneven in the lines directly above that in my post, so it should have been pretty clear what I meant if you read with care. To give a direct example: the nature eyes are identical to how they've always been, so introducing "legacy" eyes would give Light flight, for example, an extra eye color above Nature flight. ---------------------------------------------------------------- @Cryoflyte As far as the toggle, I was just trying to cover lots of options! I still find a vial possibility to be less than ideal because of the fact that it's only a desirable option for a few flights, but I appreciate your thoughtful response. c:
SnyperLady wrote on 2018-06-11 20:03:43:

QUESTION: How would it be unfair if EVERY flight had access to "legacy" eyes? HOW is it giving some flights MORE options if EVERY flight had them? Your statement doesn't make a LICK of sense!

I explained how it's uneven in the lines directly above that in my post, so it should have been pretty clear what I meant if you read with care. To give a direct example: the nature eyes are identical to how they've always been, so introducing "legacy" eyes would give Light flight, for example, an extra eye color above Nature flight.

@Cryoflyte
As far as the toggle, I was just trying to cover lots of options! I still find a vial possibility to be less than ideal because of the fact that it's only a desirable option for a few flights, but I appreciate your thoughtful response. c:

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
Huge support.

Legacy eyes as an item is a great idea. The wind festival apparel only matches with the old color, so people who want to display that gear would much prefer the old eyes. Having it as an item also allows for the majority of the site's dragons to shift into the new style. Mismatching apparel and skins is still a problem though...

I think the item should be an inexpensive(?) treasure marketplace one, provided as an option but not a necessity. There's fun to be had in figuring out a name for it too, Expired Eye Drops is one that comes to my mind.
Huge support.

Legacy eyes as an item is a great idea. The wind festival apparel only matches with the old color, so people who want to display that gear would much prefer the old eyes. Having it as an item also allows for the majority of the site's dragons to shift into the new style. Mismatching apparel and skins is still a problem though...

I think the item should be an inexpensive(?) treasure marketplace one, provided as an option but not a necessity. There's fun to be had in figuring out a name for it too, Expired Eye Drops is one that comes to my mind.
Could it mean that my Floofs get their Sclera back?

Either way I think if they have the capability to add more eyes it seems silly to not include the older art since so many of us want it.
Could it mean that my Floofs get their Sclera back?

Either way I think if they have the capability to add more eyes it seems silly to not include the older art since so many of us want it.
Stuff will one day go here.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57 58