Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Plz remove dodge mechanic in coli
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
So rather than remove dodge, what about just removing dodge stacking?
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
If the Coli was skill based, and player-skill/reaction determined the outcome of the battles, dodge is fine.

The Coli is however not set up like that. It's just mindless clicking after buffing stats to get thru battles faster. There's absolutely no skill involved, and no counter play to dodging.

As long as the Coli remains skilless (as it should for the type of purpose it has, and that it's a browser game in a pet site) then a mechanic that cannot be countered by normal gameplay without great sacrifices is going to be pointless, annoying, and hated.

This is not about Eliminate. This is about the fact dodging makes a mindless but crucial part of this dragon game endlessly frustrating for no reason at all. Players cannot outsmart the dodge, it just happens and it feels bad every single time it happens.

That's bad gameplay and a bad mechanic.
If the Coli was skill based, and player-skill/reaction determined the outcome of the battles, dodge is fine.

The Coli is however not set up like that. It's just mindless clicking after buffing stats to get thru battles faster. There's absolutely no skill involved, and no counter play to dodging.

As long as the Coli remains skilless (as it should for the type of purpose it has, and that it's a browser game in a pet site) then a mechanic that cannot be countered by normal gameplay without great sacrifices is going to be pointless, annoying, and hated.

This is not about Eliminate. This is about the fact dodging makes a mindless but crucial part of this dragon game endlessly frustrating for no reason at all. Players cannot outsmart the dodge, it just happens and it feels bad every single time it happens.

[quote name="gemajgall" date="2018-03-21 07:06:00" ] So rather than remove dodge, what about just removing dodge stacking? [/quote] If they could figure out a way to keep from getting dodged multiple times I would love that. I don't know if there is a way to do that, though, as it just seems very heavily straight RNG. Maybe if the enemies could start off with a really low chance of dodging and each round the chance goes up until they dodge, at which point it is reset low again so there is a very low chance of a repeat? I'm not even sure if something like that is possible. [quote name="thecatsred" date="2018-03-21 07:33:27" ]. This is not about Eliminate. This is about the fact dodging makes a mindless but crucial part of this dragon game endlessly frustrating for no reason at all. Players cannot outsmart the dodge, it just happens and it feels bad every single time it happens. [/quote] I agree with this.
gemajgall wrote on 2018-03-21 07:06:00:
If they could figure out a way to keep from getting dodged multiple times I would love that. I don't know if there is a way to do that, though, as it just seems very heavily straight RNG. Maybe if the enemies could start off with a really low chance of dodging and each round the chance goes up until they dodge, at which point it is reset low again so there is a very low chance of a repeat? I'm not even sure if something like that is possible.
thecatsred wrote on 2018-03-21 07:33:27:
I agree with this.
At least modify it, half damage or something. It has gotten out of hand. In the past few days I've had eliminates dodged three times in a row, followed by a one-hit kill on my level 25 which was at full health.

Coli isn't fun anymore. Imagine how new players feel.
At least modify it, half damage or something. It has gotten out of hand. In the past few days I've had eliminates dodged three times in a row, followed by a one-hit kill on my level 25 which was at full health.

Coli isn't fun anymore. Imagine how new players feel.
tDeKDnH.pnguntitled_drawing_by_cattelle-dcy0t09.png
I'd be so happy to see it gone entirely, but either way something does need to be done about it.
I'd be so happy to see it gone entirely, but either way something does need to be done about it.
forumsig_by_plantfeathers-datch91.png
[quote name="thecatsred" date="2018-03-21 07:33:27" ] If the Coli was skill based, and player-skill/reaction determined the outcome of the battles, dodge is fine. The Coli is however not set up like that. It's just mindless clicking after buffing stats to get thru battles faster. There's absolutely no skill involved, and no counter play to dodging. As long as the Coli remains skilless (as it should for the type of purpose it has, and that it's a browser game in a pet site) then a mechanic that cannot be countered by normal gameplay without great sacrifices is going to be pointless, annoying, and hated. This is not about Eliminate. This is about the fact dodging makes a mindless but crucial part of this dragon game endlessly frustrating for no reason at all. Players cannot outsmart the dodge, it just happens and it feels bad every single time it happens. That's bad gameplay and a bad mechanic. [/quote] This is exactly how I feel. Thanks for putting it so well. Dodge mechanics in and of themselves are not bad. In Pokemon, for example, a dodge is based on the Speed stat and can be buffed by agility-supporting moves. Even if an enemy buffs themselves there is always a solution to deal with that, through items or moves that cannot miss. But the Coli has absolutely none of that strategy. There is nothing we, as players, can do to better our chances or work around the dodge mechanic. We just have to eat whatever the Coli feeds us -- which is sometimes four, five, six, seven dodges in a row that can result in your whole team getting wiped in higher level venues. The fact that my three lv25s can be dodged six times and then one-shot is more than just infuriating, it's downright unfair. Dodge adds absolutely nothing to the gameplay. There's no strategy around the agility stat to make it a reasonable part of the coli. It doesn't balance out Eliminate. There is no reason for it being there other than "Well all other turn based games have this mechanic so we should to." Unless the Coli is reworked to be stat and skill based there's no reason for dodge other than to tick us off.
thecatsred wrote on 2018-03-21 07:33:27:

This is exactly how I feel. Thanks for putting it so well.

Dodge mechanics in and of themselves are not bad. In Pokemon, for example, a dodge is based on the Speed stat and can be buffed by agility-supporting moves. Even if an enemy buffs themselves there is always a solution to deal with that, through items or moves that cannot miss.

But the Coli has absolutely none of that strategy. There is nothing we, as players, can do to better our chances or work around the dodge mechanic. We just have to eat whatever the Coli feeds us -- which is sometimes four, five, six, seven dodges in a row that can result in your whole team getting wiped in higher level venues. The fact that my three lv25s can be dodged six times and then one-shot is more than just infuriating, it's downright unfair.

Dodge adds absolutely nothing to the gameplay. There's no strategy around the agility stat to make it a reasonable part of the coli. It doesn't balance out Eliminate. There is no reason for it being there other than "Well all other turn based games have this mechanic so we should to."

Unless the Coli is reworked to be stat and skill based there's no reason for dodge other than to tick us off.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I'm trying to level up another trainee, but quit after about 5 minutes because everything is still dodging like crazy, it's absolutely infuriating and my dragon will never reach lvl 25 at this rate. Please do something about the gosh damn dodge rates admins!
I'm trying to level up another trainee, but quit after about 5 minutes because everything is still dodging like crazy, it's absolutely infuriating and my dragon will never reach lvl 25 at this rate. Please do something about the gosh damn dodge rates admins!
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
Ok, bit of an odd idea here

What if dodge still existed but all enemies had zero agility, how ever a number of enemies got a buff spell for agility (similar to rally or haste) therefore they wouldn't dodge before using the spell. As areas get harder the buff would increase so lower levels wouldn't be too bad and would get more challenging in higher ones. As well as knowing which enemies can and can't dodge (due to buff) players would also have to learn which enemies have the buff spell which can add a little bit of strategy. Though to be of uses it would have to add a lot of agility, which I think is a reasonable trade off for knowing when an enemy can dodge and being able to prevent it.
Ok, bit of an odd idea here

What if dodge still existed but all enemies had zero agility, how ever a number of enemies got a buff spell for agility (similar to rally or haste) therefore they wouldn't dodge before using the spell. As areas get harder the buff would increase so lower levels wouldn't be too bad and would get more challenging in higher ones. As well as knowing which enemies can and can't dodge (due to buff) players would also have to learn which enemies have the buff spell which can add a little bit of strategy. Though to be of uses it would have to add a lot of agility, which I think is a reasonable trade off for knowing when an enemy can dodge and being able to prevent it.
I think that the dodge mechanic shouldn't be removed, but it should be changed. Maybe change it so that neither enemies nor allies can dodge twice in a row. it would just take a simple if-then thing

that, or link it to a stat.
I think that the dodge mechanic shouldn't be removed, but it should be changed. Maybe change it so that neither enemies nor allies can dodge twice in a row. it would just take a simple if-then thing

that, or link it to a stat.

Achilles
They/Them
Skin/Accent Shop
Wishlist
Fandragon tabs: {Lair} | {Hibden}
[NerdMode] [quote]In Pokemon, for example, a dodge is based on the Speed stat[/quote] In reality, in pokemon games accuracy and speed are completely different. Each attack has its own individual accuracy and normally, the most powerful attacks have the lower accuracy. For example: you could teach Hydro Pump to your pokemon; it has 110 power but an accuracy of 80%. If you don't want to deal with that 80%, you could always go for Surf or Scald, that have both 100% in exchange of less power. It also says a lot that in most formats in Pokemon Showdown - an online Pokemon battle site - there is an "Evasion Clause" that [b]bans all attacks that only rise evasion[/b]. This is not official in any way but this is still the biggest competitive pokemon community. [/NerdMode] The Coli right now is a money machine. You go there to get loot and level up dragons to sell or exalt, not to put your team to the test, specially when you can practically keep fighting forever by having 1 healer in your team - not even a fully leveled one. Dodging right now doesn't add anything to the experience. Unlike pokemon, there isn't enough options to choose between the more powerful attack or the more accurate one. And there is no way to outsmart the dodge mechanic. The Agi changes - that may or may not happen - are meant to give us a way to stop dodging from happening is so we choose, but this changes would do nothing. The dodge rate might look exactly as it does right now or it might be so devastating that stat points will have to be taken from Str and Qck, making battles even slower and enemies even more brutal with the only added bonus of not failing every single attack. As the system is right now, dodging should be turned off. If they really want to keep going with the Agi update, I would like to see multiple battlestones that also use this stat, like a stone that hits multiple times and the amount of hits is dependant on Agi.
[NerdMode]
Quote:
In Pokemon, for example, a dodge is based on the Speed stat
In reality, in pokemon games accuracy and speed are completely different.
Each attack has its own individual accuracy and normally, the most powerful attacks have the lower accuracy.
For example: you could teach Hydro Pump to your pokemon; it has 110 power but an accuracy of 80%. If you don't want to deal with that 80%, you could always go for Surf or Scald, that have both 100% in exchange of less power.
It also says a lot that in most formats in Pokemon Showdown - an online Pokemon battle site - there is an "Evasion Clause" that bans all attacks that only rise evasion.
This is not official in any way but this is still the biggest competitive pokemon community.
[/NerdMode]

The Coli right now is a money machine. You go there to get loot and level up dragons to sell or exalt, not to put your team to the test, specially when you can practically keep fighting forever by having 1 healer in your team - not even a fully leveled one.

Dodging right now doesn't add anything to the experience. Unlike pokemon, there isn't enough options to choose between the more powerful attack or the more accurate one. And there is no way to outsmart the dodge mechanic.

The Agi changes - that may or may not happen - are meant to give us a way to stop dodging from happening is so we choose, but this changes would do nothing. The dodge rate might look exactly as it does right now or it might be so devastating that stat points will have to be taken from Str and Qck, making battles even slower and enemies even more brutal with the only added bonus of not failing every single attack.

As the system is right now, dodging should be turned off. If they really want to keep going with the Agi update, I would like to see multiple battlestones that also use this stat, like a stone that hits multiple times and the amount of hits is dependant on Agi.
rairai_by_thecomposerrn-dbrohjs.pngaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame_me_by_thecomposerrn-dbrogh4.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9