Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Just a thought
1 2
does anyone think there shouldn't be open registration? i am just slightly freaking out ans i am worried for the community...
does anyone think there shouldn't be open registration? i am just slightly freaking out ans i am worried for the community...
uDWJxnb.png
It's currently open 1 week in roughly 4, so it's not exactly hard to get in now. I doubt open reg will change much, other than reduce the spikes in the AH.
It's currently open 1 week in roughly 4, so it's not exactly hard to get in now. I doubt open reg will change much, other than reduce the spikes in the AH.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
As Vendrus has said, right now, we have regular windows, so people who want to get in are able to. Opening up registration will simply mean that those people no longer have to wait.
As Vendrus has said, right now, we have regular windows, so people who want to get in are able to. Opening up registration will simply mean that those people no longer have to wait.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Not really. It alway feels uncomfortable. Like I really really hated the monthly reg windows. Part of it was the potential masses of trolls registring and the other part was the amout of hype that this brought to the forums. Neither of which I was or am a fan of. Yes there are more trolls but they thankfully loose interest fast. There will be an influx of bots and trolls I'm sure. But I hope it will still be manageable with the ignore feature (even though they made it a requirement to go to peoples profiles to block with the new layout).

I have hope that the "old user hype" dies down completely once its fully open. Since there will not be any timerange anymore the threads calling out to newbies everywhere likely will die down or move to the flight and introduction forum.
At the same time we might get even more overexcited newbies that 'post first and inform themselfs later'. There is a visible influx of such posts right behind every welcome week and I am sure this will become worse. I will see how this will affect my mood and mental state. At worst I will have to quit using the forums and concentrate on lore and breeding. Maybe I will look into lore roleplay instead. I doubt I will have the necessary patience required to answer questions and "bug" reports that might reoccur hourly instead of monthly without falling into a tone that might sound a lot more agressive than the actual 'no nonsense' it is. I allready see how many misunderstandings occur by me not using an american feedback system but answering and writing truthfully and without filtering how it is thought here.
Not really. It alway feels uncomfortable. Like I really really hated the monthly reg windows. Part of it was the potential masses of trolls registring and the other part was the amout of hype that this brought to the forums. Neither of which I was or am a fan of. Yes there are more trolls but they thankfully loose interest fast. There will be an influx of bots and trolls I'm sure. But I hope it will still be manageable with the ignore feature (even though they made it a requirement to go to peoples profiles to block with the new layout).

I have hope that the "old user hype" dies down completely once its fully open. Since there will not be any timerange anymore the threads calling out to newbies everywhere likely will die down or move to the flight and introduction forum.
At the same time we might get even more overexcited newbies that 'post first and inform themselfs later'. There is a visible influx of such posts right behind every welcome week and I am sure this will become worse. I will see how this will affect my mood and mental state. At worst I will have to quit using the forums and concentrate on lore and breeding. Maybe I will look into lore roleplay instead. I doubt I will have the necessary patience required to answer questions and "bug" reports that might reoccur hourly instead of monthly without falling into a tone that might sound a lot more agressive than the actual 'no nonsense' it is. I allready see how many misunderstandings occur by me not using an american feedback system but answering and writing truthfully and without filtering how it is thought here.
Eh, FR was always supposed to have open registration. It was only closed because the site wasn't equipped to handle the sheer number of signups and the traffic they brought.

I registered back when it was open.

When it shut, and reg windows were random, people went out of their way to bombard newbies with free stuff, because they were excited to have new people, but as they got bored of increasing random reg windows and then regular ones, things have settled down.

I think open reg could be good. It would stop the (now very small) hype about newbies, and it will be good for the site, since the admins can finally stop treating reg windows as something we should give a toss about as already existing players. New users aren't the same as content, so now there's no window, we might get an update during that period instead of welcome week.

The only thing that could go downhill is the suggestions forum and the help forum. People already just post the same stuff instead of using the search function, even though it's obvious bad suggestions (sex change, unretirement, bond all, etc) as if they're the first ones to think of it (in the five or whatever years since FR opened, yeah, you're absolutely the first people to want to change the sex of a dragon, bond with all familiars at once and have expensive desirable items for peanuts) and obvious questions (such as ... "I have two familiars but nothing shows up when I try to bond, why?") but ignoring those suggestions and avoiding going out of your way to help people in the Help forum is a good way to just ... deal with it.
Eh, FR was always supposed to have open registration. It was only closed because the site wasn't equipped to handle the sheer number of signups and the traffic they brought.

I registered back when it was open.

When it shut, and reg windows were random, people went out of their way to bombard newbies with free stuff, because they were excited to have new people, but as they got bored of increasing random reg windows and then regular ones, things have settled down.

I think open reg could be good. It would stop the (now very small) hype about newbies, and it will be good for the site, since the admins can finally stop treating reg windows as something we should give a toss about as already existing players. New users aren't the same as content, so now there's no window, we might get an update during that period instead of welcome week.

The only thing that could go downhill is the suggestions forum and the help forum. People already just post the same stuff instead of using the search function, even though it's obvious bad suggestions (sex change, unretirement, bond all, etc) as if they're the first ones to think of it (in the five or whatever years since FR opened, yeah, you're absolutely the first people to want to change the sex of a dragon, bond with all familiars at once and have expensive desirable items for peanuts) and obvious questions (such as ... "I have two familiars but nothing shows up when I try to bond, why?") but ignoring those suggestions and avoiding going out of your way to help people in the Help forum is a good way to just ... deal with it.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
This site is a business, and a business can't continue to function if it only caters to a handful of people and excludes everyone else. Unless you personally plan on being here til the end of time, *shrug* we need new blood.
This site is a business, and a business can't continue to function if it only caters to a handful of people and excludes everyone else. Unless you personally plan on being here til the end of time, *shrug* we need new blood.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
I am glad FR is finally at open registration. No support.
I am glad FR is finally at open registration. No support.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
When I found Flight Rising, I had to wait a whole month to register. It was awful. I think open registration is a great way to reduce all the waiting and smooth out the Auction House spikes.
When I found Flight Rising, I had to wait a whole month to register. It was awful. I think open registration is a great way to reduce all the waiting and smooth out the Auction House spikes.
This isn't a suggestion, this is a complaint. If you don't like the idea of open registration, at least offer an alternative solution.

Meanwhile, I personally disagree no matter what your suggestion is. Open registration is the best business decision FR could make, and was always the intention - it only shut down because the popularity of FR wasn't anticipated, and the staff and website literally just couldn't keep up.

I understand the anxiety over it, I too don't want to see the community go downhill as it grows, but people have been joining weekly and the community hasn't fallen apart completely, so I'm not concerned about it falling apart the other 3/4 weeks of the month, and if it does, I suspect it'll be a slow burn, much like it took years for Neopets and Gaiaonline to become overwhelmingly huge.

By the by, if the community starts to become problematic for you, you don't HAVE to take part. Avoiding the forums doesn't effect the gameplay very much overall, and it's more of a preference thing than it is a requirement of FR.
This isn't a suggestion, this is a complaint. If you don't like the idea of open registration, at least offer an alternative solution.

Meanwhile, I personally disagree no matter what your suggestion is. Open registration is the best business decision FR could make, and was always the intention - it only shut down because the popularity of FR wasn't anticipated, and the staff and website literally just couldn't keep up.

I understand the anxiety over it, I too don't want to see the community go downhill as it grows, but people have been joining weekly and the community hasn't fallen apart completely, so I'm not concerned about it falling apart the other 3/4 weeks of the month, and if it does, I suspect it'll be a slow burn, much like it took years for Neopets and Gaiaonline to become overwhelmingly huge.

By the by, if the community starts to become problematic for you, you don't HAVE to take part. Avoiding the forums doesn't effect the gameplay very much overall, and it's more of a preference thing than it is a requirement of FR.
aBcTdao.png
ePOliyb.pngmTAp2ld.pngNlmYDAS.pngq9EEy5M.png
fdUVIfW.png
to PsychoticRomance 70834
ejtsBdV.png

Cute lil flyin' dergin
7fINQj7.gif

Kiwi's Hatchery
zkAFsLJ.png

Tiger head linking to my carrd
xztAvSq.png
@FireHeartSong Eh, I've made peace with this. @GreyJoy is right in that it was always meant to be open (though honestly I kinda think there still are speed issues from time to time), and I am confident most issues I wish were fixed beforehand will be fixed eventually. Most of my apprehension was my inner perfectionist screaming at the login bug and grammar mistakes in official lore. Kind of a "why is that picture crooked during a housewarming party" thing.

I may keep more quiet for a while after it starts though, in case mods need to carry out a ban hammer wave again and again due to next to no ban dodge cushion (it's a whole separate rule, made up in January) or multiaccounters. That soon should be resolved however. If the forum goes to heck let it and just keep your nose clean until the aftermath, they're optional.
@FireHeartSong Eh, I've made peace with this. @GreyJoy is right in that it was always meant to be open (though honestly I kinda think there still are speed issues from time to time), and I am confident most issues I wish were fixed beforehand will be fixed eventually. Most of my apprehension was my inner perfectionist screaming at the login bug and grammar mistakes in official lore. Kind of a "why is that picture crooked during a housewarming party" thing.

I may keep more quiet for a while after it starts though, in case mods need to carry out a ban hammer wave again and again due to next to no ban dodge cushion (it's a whole separate rule, made up in January) or multiaccounters. That soon should be resolved however. If the forum goes to heck let it and just keep your nose clean until the aftermath, they're optional.
My writing project.
1 2