Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Family Tree
1 2 3
[quote name="@Serafin" date="2018-04-24 12:00:32" ]This would make my gameplay sooo much easier[/quote] In what way would it make gameplay easier? Plugging two numbers into the Scrying Workshop is a lot easier than manually searching through a list for a certain dragon. And family ties between dragons have no impact on gameplay if you're not trying to breed them.
@Serafin wrote on 2018-04-24 12:00:32:
This would make my gameplay sooo much easier

In what way would it make gameplay easier? Plugging two numbers into the Scrying Workshop is a lot easier than manually searching through a list for a certain dragon. And family ties between dragons have no impact on gameplay if you're not trying to breed them.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
@Ridara

As someone who writes lore and owns a lore clan (which is therefor a large part of gameplay for me), I often try to track backwards to find specifics of a dragon's ancestry and getting lost in the current system and ending up with 15 tabs open is frustrating at times. Sometimes I'm looking for a specific, for example: does this newly bought dragon's grandmother have any siblings? Maybe I want to write a story about one of my dragon's ancestors and/or how their legacy affects my dragon! It's disorderly and confusing to trudge through separate pages and it's difficult to see the big picture of the family tree.

I'm aware that this isn't everyone's playstyle and it's certainly not the most pressing issue, but it would be easier on lore writers and look more tidy and clean overall if executed correctly.
@Ridara

As someone who writes lore and owns a lore clan (which is therefor a large part of gameplay for me), I often try to track backwards to find specifics of a dragon's ancestry and getting lost in the current system and ending up with 15 tabs open is frustrating at times. Sometimes I'm looking for a specific, for example: does this newly bought dragon's grandmother have any siblings? Maybe I want to write a story about one of my dragon's ancestors and/or how their legacy affects my dragon! It's disorderly and confusing to trudge through separate pages and it's difficult to see the big picture of the family tree.

I'm aware that this isn't everyone's playstyle and it's certainly not the most pressing issue, but it would be easier on lore writers and look more tidy and clean overall if executed correctly.
Interested in Lore?
Come to the Silent Crow Outpost & Inn

Got a traveler to send through the Tangled Wood? Want to do business with the best of the worst? Maybe your ambassador just wants a fling and a new story in their bio? Look no further.
I'm always interested in lore exchanges and lore connections. I often sell lore dragons and will write custom bios if bribed lightly.
[quote name="Serafin" date="2018-04-24 21:10:43" ] I'm aware that this isn't everyone's playstyle and it's certainly not the most pressing issue, but it would be easier on lore writers and look more tidy and clean overall[b] if executed correctly[/b]. [/quote] That is exactly why I do not support it - the application is very niche while the effort it might take to get it to look nice - huge... For example, I looked at one of my own dragon's immediate family tree: 2 parents who were monogamous 6 children (one of them Sparge) My dragon had 13 children with 4 partners: Already 25 dragons to put in a nice way without representing the immediate nieces and nephews and other children of partners... And once you add the grandparents, grandchildren and further, the list of dragons to arrange nicely increases exponentially. I'd prefer if the time for coding would be spent somewhere more broadly applicable, especially as not even all lore writers would need or require this.
Serafin wrote on 2018-04-24 21:10:43:

That is exactly why I do not support it - the application is very niche while the effort it might take to get it to look nice - huge... For example, I looked at one of my own dragon's immediate family tree:

2 parents who were monogamous
6 children (one of them Sparge)
My dragon had 13 children with 4 partners:

Already 25 dragons to put in a nice way without representing the immediate nieces and nephews and other children of partners... And once you add the grandparents, grandchildren and further, the list of dragons to arrange nicely increases exponentially. I'd prefer if the time for coding would be spent somewhere more broadly applicable, especially as not even all lore writers would need or require this.
JQQ3Fjt.png
@Serafin All due respect, that has nothing to do with the actual game. That's your personal lore.
@Serafin All due respect, that has nothing to do with the actual game. That's your personal lore.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
As I said, if this were only going back and only listing parents and not siblings etc.. then I could potentially support it.

IE, you get your current dragon (whatever dragon you are viewing) parents and grandparents, going back for 5 (or 7) generations, but you do not get siblings or aunts/uncles. (to get further back in lineage, just click on one of the grandparents and go from there)

This would make it much easier to code, and be able to be represented much easier, and if someone DOES want those siblings/aunts/uncles/cousins, they can still click the dragon and find out that way. This would also be much easier to make into a simple tree for viewing. With a finite cutoff and only showing immediate parents and no other relatives of the dragon, this means that the trees aren't likely to get out of hand by requiring literal hundreds of dragons showing for some trees.

Otherwise, as stated above, this can get really complicated and messy both in coding and looks, and I would much prefer that the time spent figuring out how to exactly do this be spent working on other projects.

IF dragons were monogamous, then I think that it would be a much easier project, but as it is a dragon can have hundreds of kids with hundreds of partners. Imagine trying to plot that on a family tree that shows children and cousins and aunts/uncles and siblings.
As I said, if this were only going back and only listing parents and not siblings etc.. then I could potentially support it.

IE, you get your current dragon (whatever dragon you are viewing) parents and grandparents, going back for 5 (or 7) generations, but you do not get siblings or aunts/uncles. (to get further back in lineage, just click on one of the grandparents and go from there)

This would make it much easier to code, and be able to be represented much easier, and if someone DOES want those siblings/aunts/uncles/cousins, they can still click the dragon and find out that way. This would also be much easier to make into a simple tree for viewing. With a finite cutoff and only showing immediate parents and no other relatives of the dragon, this means that the trees aren't likely to get out of hand by requiring literal hundreds of dragons showing for some trees.

Otherwise, as stated above, this can get really complicated and messy both in coding and looks, and I would much prefer that the time spent figuring out how to exactly do this be spent working on other projects.

IF dragons were monogamous, then I think that it would be a much easier project, but as it is a dragon can have hundreds of kids with hundreds of partners. Imagine trying to plot that on a family tree that shows children and cousins and aunts/uncles and siblings.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Ridara

Lore is a huge part of the game for many players, not just me. :-)
@Ridara

Lore is a huge part of the game for many players, not just me. :-)
Interested in Lore?

Got a traveler to send through the Tangled Wood? Want to do business with the best of the worst? Maybe your ambassador just wants a fling and a new story in their bio? Look no further.
I'm always interested in lore exchanges and lore connections. I often sell lore dragons and will write custom bios if bribed lightly.
@Serafin I said gameplay, please read my post.

EDIT: Or to phrase it another way, my lore states that dragons exalted to the Lightweaver travel all over Sornieth and become teachers. They don't sit in some ivory tower reading scrolls by the light of some silly baubles. But I can't exactly expect the staff to make a "choose your own exalted background" feature. Personal lore should remain that: personal.
@Serafin I said gameplay, please read my post.

EDIT: Or to phrase it another way, my lore states that dragons exalted to the Lightweaver travel all over Sornieth and become teachers. They don't sit in some ivory tower reading scrolls by the light of some silly baubles. But I can't exactly expect the staff to make a "choose your own exalted background" feature. Personal lore should remain that: personal.
I feel like, while this would be cool, it would be better handled by individual users rather than generated by the game. I also collect dragon families for lore reasons, but I don't collect every family member. There are a ton of kids and sometimes entire generations that I don't care about, but a generated family tree would have to include them.

All that to say, it would be really weird and niche for the game to be able to generate the tree I want, and it would probably be tedious besides. Bigger trees would be clumsy and pretty unhelpful.

All other purposes, I could just use the scrying workshop for.
I feel like, while this would be cool, it would be better handled by individual users rather than generated by the game. I also collect dragon families for lore reasons, but I don't collect every family member. There are a ton of kids and sometimes entire generations that I don't care about, but a generated family tree would have to include them.

All that to say, it would be really weird and niche for the game to be able to generate the tree I want, and it would probably be tedious besides. Bigger trees would be clumsy and pretty unhelpful.

All other purposes, I could just use the scrying workshop for.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
@Ridara

I did read your post, actually. I tend to read things before I respond to them. :-o

I'm not even sure where you're attempting to take this debate anymore? What does your "personal lore" around exalting have to do with this? Obviously, lore differs between players, but the bottom line is this: a family tree like this would make it easier to find ancestors and easier to track ancestry back quickly. The only arguments against it that I can see are technical/server issues. If there's a feasible way to do this, then I really can't see any withstanding argument against it.
@Ridara

I did read your post, actually. I tend to read things before I respond to them. :-o

I'm not even sure where you're attempting to take this debate anymore? What does your "personal lore" around exalting have to do with this? Obviously, lore differs between players, but the bottom line is this: a family tree like this would make it easier to find ancestors and easier to track ancestry back quickly. The only arguments against it that I can see are technical/server issues. If there's a feasible way to do this, then I really can't see any withstanding argument against it.
Interested in Lore?

[quote]If there's a feasible way to do this, then I really can't see any withstanding argument against it.[/quote] I mean. I just don't think it'd be useful, never mind the feasibility. You can totally find all the things you want without this function, and, if you just have a notecard sitting in front of you, it doesn't take much time at all. On the other hand, if I went through the trouble of sifting through a family tree, it might take a while just to figure out what it is I'm looking at. I have a dragon with twenty-eight kids with no less than seven different partners. Another has thirty-two kids with nine partners. That'd be a big ol' bowl of spaghetti. Imagine the chaos if I bred them together...! Or their kids. Yeah. Their kids. ... Okay, that's actually next on my list. ._. But for real, I don't even know what these family trees would look like and my doubts are really high that it would be even all that useful to look at. I'm not even sure this situation is uncommon. On the other side of the argument, I have a set of three dragons. Two of them are cousins with the other one, but not with each other. I wanted to know where their trees diverged, so a family tree for them might have been nice to have. But I didn't, so I just sat down one day and looked. Did it take some time? Yes, it took about ten minutes, for a pretty long estimation. Was it difficult? Not really. But if one of their families had been even remotely like my kid with thirty-two kids, not only would it have been a pain to load, but also a pain to look through when I really didn't need all those dragons. I only needed a few of them. Because, really, at the end of the day, I'm only interested in a very small number of dragons compared to the dragons that a family tree would return.
Quote:
If there's a feasible way to do this, then I really can't see any withstanding argument against it.
I mean. I just don't think it'd be useful, never mind the feasibility. You can totally find all the things you want without this function, and, if you just have a notecard sitting in front of you, it doesn't take much time at all. On the other hand, if I went through the trouble of sifting through a family tree, it might take a while just to figure out what it is I'm looking at.

I have a dragon with twenty-eight kids with no less than seven different partners. Another has thirty-two kids with nine partners. That'd be a big ol' bowl of spaghetti. Imagine the chaos if I bred them together...! Or their kids. Yeah. Their kids.

... Okay, that's actually next on my list. ._.

But for real, I don't even know what these family trees would look like and my doubts are really high that it would be even all that useful to look at. I'm not even sure this situation is uncommon.

On the other side of the argument, I have a set of three dragons. Two of them are cousins with the other one, but not with each other. I wanted to know where their trees diverged, so a family tree for them might have been nice to have. But I didn't, so I just sat down one day and looked. Did it take some time? Yes, it took about ten minutes, for a pretty long estimation. Was it difficult? Not really. But if one of their families had been even remotely like my kid with thirty-two kids, not only would it have been a pain to load, but also a pain to look through when I really didn't need all those dragons. I only needed a few of them. Because, really, at the end of the day, I'm only interested in a very small number of dragons compared to the dragons that a family tree would return.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 3