Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | (Coliseum) Agility Suggestions
I can't really claim to be an expert on stats and balancing. I can only tell you what I know as a gamer who's played all kinds of stuff.

And this isn't really about agility, so much as it's about dodging. I know you probably have plans for it, but I hope you take all this into consideration.

In real-time games (such as most MMOs out there) dodging is fine. It allows players to adjust their rotations for maximum hit potential. There's always a button you can push to do more damage to the mob, except on extremely rare occasions where everything's on cooldown. Player dodging is also fun, because you're moving around and have some sense of accomplishment when you dodge a hit.

But dodging in a turn-based system like the coliseum doesn't add anything to combat. It's solely a mechanic to make the game last longer... To add an artificial timegate where there doesn't need to be one.

The best thing to do would be to remove dodge entirely, for both sides. Continue to use agility for crits only. Given the relatively low dodge chance, and the necessity of budgeting other stats in order to do higher-level venues, I will NEVER be able to put enough agility into my team for a build that dodges everything. They just won't hit hard enough. Which means any agility I use gives me a slight dodge change that will likely never become useful for me in a pinch.

If we still need dodge, have every mob roll dodge every time they're attacked. If they dodge, they don't get to dodge again until everyone else has had a turn. That means that teams with high stats in quick might miss once, but they'll still be able to use their build as they intended without falling into one of those unlucky streaks, where for some reason a mob is dodging three to four times in a row.

And if that's STILL too much, at least make it so that nothing can dodge more than once in a row. At least if that becomes true, someone who's had a mob dodge an eliminate knows that they'll hit with a second eliminate.

I just can't think of a way to make dodging interesting, or at least not as frustrating. If you miss with a breath attack, maybe reward half the breath back? I dunno. :\
I can't really claim to be an expert on stats and balancing. I can only tell you what I know as a gamer who's played all kinds of stuff.

And this isn't really about agility, so much as it's about dodging. I know you probably have plans for it, but I hope you take all this into consideration.

In real-time games (such as most MMOs out there) dodging is fine. It allows players to adjust their rotations for maximum hit potential. There's always a button you can push to do more damage to the mob, except on extremely rare occasions where everything's on cooldown. Player dodging is also fun, because you're moving around and have some sense of accomplishment when you dodge a hit.

But dodging in a turn-based system like the coliseum doesn't add anything to combat. It's solely a mechanic to make the game last longer... To add an artificial timegate where there doesn't need to be one.

The best thing to do would be to remove dodge entirely, for both sides. Continue to use agility for crits only. Given the relatively low dodge chance, and the necessity of budgeting other stats in order to do higher-level venues, I will NEVER be able to put enough agility into my team for a build that dodges everything. They just won't hit hard enough. Which means any agility I use gives me a slight dodge change that will likely never become useful for me in a pinch.

If we still need dodge, have every mob roll dodge every time they're attacked. If they dodge, they don't get to dodge again until everyone else has had a turn. That means that teams with high stats in quick might miss once, but they'll still be able to use their build as they intended without falling into one of those unlucky streaks, where for some reason a mob is dodging three to four times in a row.

And if that's STILL too much, at least make it so that nothing can dodge more than once in a row. At least if that becomes true, someone who's had a mob dodge an eliminate knows that they'll hit with a second eliminate.

I just can't think of a way to make dodging interesting, or at least not as frustrating. If you miss with a breath attack, maybe reward half the breath back? I dunno. :\
I was joking the other day that they just need to rename AGI to LUK and get it over with. XD There's nothing about this mechanic that can't be explained by sheer, dumb luck. Dodged your enemy? Maybe it's because you saw him coming. Or maybe it's because you were chasing all the shiny new bubbles. XD

The main difference between an MMO and FR is that MMOs are built so that combat is their primary focus. Millions of dollars are poured into making it balanced, rewarding and enjoyable. In FR, your primary focus is collecting dragons and making them look pretty, and I wouldn't want unnecessarily tedious combat mechanics to distract me from that. I come to FR to relax, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

And I say again, if FR wants combat to be a primary focus, then they are going to have to have the budget and ingenuity to directly compete with stuff like mobile and browser-based MMOs. Right now, they're still rewriting the site. Registration isn't fully open. We're still a long way from being able to compete with anyone. XD
I was joking the other day that they just need to rename AGI to LUK and get it over with. XD There's nothing about this mechanic that can't be explained by sheer, dumb luck. Dodged your enemy? Maybe it's because you saw him coming. Or maybe it's because you were chasing all the shiny new bubbles. XD

The main difference between an MMO and FR is that MMOs are built so that combat is their primary focus. Millions of dollars are poured into making it balanced, rewarding and enjoyable. In FR, your primary focus is collecting dragons and making them look pretty, and I wouldn't want unnecessarily tedious combat mechanics to distract me from that. I come to FR to relax, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

And I say again, if FR wants combat to be a primary focus, then they are going to have to have the budget and ingenuity to directly compete with stuff like mobile and browser-based MMOs. Right now, they're still rewriting the site. Registration isn't fully open. We're still a long way from being able to compete with anyone. XD
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
[quote name="Ridara" date=2018-02-06 04:28:42] I was joking the other day that they just need to rename AGI to LUK and get it over with. XD There's nothing about this mechanic that can't be explained by sheer, dumb luck. Dodged your enemy? Maybe it's because you saw him coming. Or maybe it's because you were chasing all the shiny new bubbles. XD The main difference between an MMO and FR is that MMOs are built so that combat is their primary focus. Millions of dollars are poured into making it balanced, rewarding and enjoyable. In FR, your primary focus is collecting dragons and making them look pretty, and I wouldn't want unnecessarily tedious combat mechanics to distract me from that. I come to FR to relax, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And I say again, if FR wants combat to be a primary focus, then they are going to have to have the budget and ingenuity to directly compete with stuff like mobile and browser-based MMOs. Right now, they're still rewriting the site. Registration isn't fully open. We're still a long way from being able to compete with anyone. XD [/quote] I personally hope they don't try to compete and make combat the primary focus. I am holding out hope that in the future, especially when the rewrite is over, that we will have a myriad of ways to play the game. It isn't that I dislike the coliseum, but I don't always want to do it and if I wanted to play a fighting based site, I would have found one that suited me... I joined FR to collect pretty dragons ;) To OP: I don't know if you are aware of it, but they are (or were) planning to make AGI more useful by tying it to the dodge and critical hit chances. However, that has been postponed at least a little bit before they implement it. They want to get the bugs out of the coliseum beta first then try it out. I am pretty sure I am in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind if they made all stats useful (or even mandatory in a little way) even if it means that the current builds will need to be redone. (I know why most people don't want that)
Ridara wrote on 2018-02-06:

I personally hope they don't try to compete and make combat the primary focus. I am holding out hope that in the future, especially when the rewrite is over, that we will have a myriad of ways to play the game. It isn't that I dislike the coliseum, but I don't always want to do it and if I wanted to play a fighting based site, I would have found one that suited me... I joined FR to collect pretty dragons ;)

To OP: I don't know if you are aware of it, but they are (or were) planning to make AGI more useful by tying it to the dodge and critical hit chances. However, that has been postponed at least a little bit before they implement it. They want to get the bugs out of the coliseum beta first then try it out.

I am pretty sure I am in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind if they made all stats useful (or even mandatory in a little way) even if it means that the current builds will need to be redone. (I know why most people don't want that)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I dislike random chance in games unless you can influence it significantly through your actions. Since pumping AGI to useful heights is a poor strategy, based on how the Coli is constructed, I would like to either see the randomness significantly decreased OR get additional options, such as battlestones that are more likely to crit or less likely to be dodged. Perhaps some method of buffs and debuffs to influence crit/dodge rates would also be useful, though at present it's unlikely they would add too much to the game, given how minor this randomness already is.
I dislike random chance in games unless you can influence it significantly through your actions. Since pumping AGI to useful heights is a poor strategy, based on how the Coli is constructed, I would like to either see the randomness significantly decreased OR get additional options, such as battlestones that are more likely to crit or less likely to be dodged. Perhaps some method of buffs and debuffs to influence crit/dodge rates would also be useful, though at present it's unlikely they would add too much to the game, given how minor this randomness already is.
windh4.png
Yeah, the reason I'm posting here instead of in the beta threads is that it's technically a suggestion, haha.

I know they were planning on making AGI 'attractive,' but the way it was phrased, it would have been necessary to make sure the stat was equal or above mobs in later venues, or you'd just have the problem with infinite dodges again.

Which is why I'm providing suggestions for AGI going forward. I still feel like dodge mechanics add nothing to the game as it is right now, and wouldn't mind seeing them removed entirely.

And while the rebalance has been scrapped for now, if we were to take the AGI of the coppercoil creeper in the Golem Workshop and push it up to par with its other stats, we'd be talking of an AGI of at least 50.

I am guessing that the intention is to make it so that if your agility is higher than the AGI of the mob, there's a smaller chance for them to dodge. However, I don't know how much higher it has to be, or, if it's lower, if the dodge chance gets worse than it is now. I guess I'd need clarification.

Which means, with finite points to put into stats, you'd have to take from STR, QCK, and VIT, all of which are vitally important if you don't want to spend an hour chipping away at higher level mobs.

I guess that's where I'm coming from. The dodge mechanic is such a complication. :(
Yeah, the reason I'm posting here instead of in the beta threads is that it's technically a suggestion, haha.

I know they were planning on making AGI 'attractive,' but the way it was phrased, it would have been necessary to make sure the stat was equal or above mobs in later venues, or you'd just have the problem with infinite dodges again.

Which is why I'm providing suggestions for AGI going forward. I still feel like dodge mechanics add nothing to the game as it is right now, and wouldn't mind seeing them removed entirely.

And while the rebalance has been scrapped for now, if we were to take the AGI of the coppercoil creeper in the Golem Workshop and push it up to par with its other stats, we'd be talking of an AGI of at least 50.

I am guessing that the intention is to make it so that if your agility is higher than the AGI of the mob, there's a smaller chance for them to dodge. However, I don't know how much higher it has to be, or, if it's lower, if the dodge chance gets worse than it is now. I guess I'd need clarification.

Which means, with finite points to put into stats, you'd have to take from STR, QCK, and VIT, all of which are vitally important if you don't want to spend an hour chipping away at higher level mobs.

I guess that's where I'm coming from. The dodge mechanic is such a complication. :(