Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Breeding Dragons without Trading
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
As RiverEcho mentioned this was discussed at length in beta, the admins gave several lore related reasons:
  • Births occur within a clan
  • Clans (even of the same flight) may not always get along
  • A nest would not be separated before hatching as both the parents take care of them (probably linking back to the birth within clan thing).

And several game mechanic reasons:
  • Elements are determined by place of birth (ex. your clan's living location)
  • You are to build your own clan
  • Breeding is intended to be a challenge and offspring a discovery
  • Including studding mechanics would change the feeling and focus of the game

Having played several breeding games where there were built in studding options I have to say that I very much agree with the last point. This game feels different from them and it is always nice to run into something that is unique. I found that breeding games where the creatures live forever that include studding seem to focus on low generation creatures to the point where people who had Gen 1 or 2 creatures could dictate the selling price and people with Gen 4 or more had to sell them for discount prices or remove them for a tiny monetary compensation. Granted these games did not give users progenitors, so there may be a difference there.

The admins may change their stance on this later (and I wouldn't mind if they do) but for right now I'd rather they focus on squashing all the stability and usability bugs then coming up with code to allow studding. Maybe in a month or so studding won't seem like such an important thing? After all the site is still warming up.
As RiverEcho mentioned this was discussed at length in beta, the admins gave several lore related reasons:
  • A nest would not be separated before hatching as both the parents take care of them (probably linking back to the birth within clan thing).

Having played several breeding games where there were built in studding options I have to say that I very much agree with the last point. This game feels different from them and it is always nice to run into something that is unique. I found that breeding games where the creatures live forever that include studding seem to focus on low generation creatures to the point where people who had Gen 1 or 2 creatures could dictate the selling price and people with Gen 4 or more had to sell them for discount prices or remove them for a tiny monetary compensation. Granted these games did not give users progenitors, so there may be a difference there.

The admins may change their stance on this later (and I wouldn't mind if they do) but for right now I'd rather they focus on squashing all the stability and usability bugs then coming up with code to allow studding. Maybe in a month or so studding won't seem like such an important thing? After all the site is still warming up.
Shining Light Store Selling dragons. Closed for now.
technically speaking, breeding outside of the clans and 'breaking up families' is already happening anyway and will only keep growing as people trade their dragon to a diff owner, breed over there and split up the hatchlings and return the dragon to their owner. So this isn't something thats going to be stopped by not giving people the option.

It would however be made safer and more accessible for people with rare dragons, eliminating the 's/he stole my dragon/clutch' drama.

Just trowing in my 2 cents.
technically speaking, breeding outside of the clans and 'breaking up families' is already happening anyway and will only keep growing as people trade their dragon to a diff owner, breed over there and split up the hatchlings and return the dragon to their owner. So this isn't something thats going to be stopped by not giving people the option.

It would however be made safer and more accessible for people with rare dragons, eliminating the 's/he stole my dragon/clutch' drama.

Just trowing in my 2 cents.
I support this, although I also understand what @Praeses is saying.
I support this, although I also understand what @Praeses is saying.
48vur6d.png
[quote name="RiverEcho" date="2013-06-07 05:52:58" url="main.php?p=mb&board=sug&page=1&id=19662#20276"]We talked about this a lot in beta. We didn't want to break up families.[/quote] Shouldn't that be up to the individual players to decide? I wouldn't expect some of the flights to care much about families. Plague, for instance. In any case, breaking up families seems completely unavoidable. The lair space is limited and there's a five generation inbreeding ban. Those of us who actually want to breed multiple generations will have to trade a lot. Just to free up lair space and to acquire unrelated dragons.
We talked about this a lot in beta. We didn't want to break up families.
Shouldn't that be up to the individual players to decide? I wouldn't expect some of the flights to care much about families. Plague, for instance.

In any case, breaking up families seems completely unavoidable. The lair space is limited and there's a five generation inbreeding ban. Those of us who actually want to breed multiple generations will have to trade a lot. Just to free up lair space and to acquire unrelated dragons.
I just got pointed to this thread by another player.

I just had this thought a while ago:

What if there was just a Studding feature/center? It could go something like a trade in that players could send a studding proposal to another user and the other user could accept/reject it. The eggs would be born into the mother's flight and the owner of the mother would receive all the eggs (in order to keep things easy). For the male, it could just show an icon or something to show that he's at Stud and unable to battle or things like that until the eggs are hatched (taking care of the problem that both parents need to be around for the eggs).

So it would be up the mother's owner to give father's owner a hatchling in the end, and I've also been told that the admins are keen on the player owning both father and mother, but it was just a thought.
I just got pointed to this thread by another player.

I just had this thought a while ago:

What if there was just a Studding feature/center? It could go something like a trade in that players could send a studding proposal to another user and the other user could accept/reject it. The eggs would be born into the mother's flight and the owner of the mother would receive all the eggs (in order to keep things easy). For the male, it could just show an icon or something to show that he's at Stud and unable to battle or things like that until the eggs are hatched (taking care of the problem that both parents need to be around for the eggs).

So it would be up the mother's owner to give father's owner a hatchling in the end, and I've also been told that the admins are keen on the player owning both father and mother, but it was just a thought.
[quote name="Zaltys" date="2013-06-07 15:21:04" url="main.php?p=mb&board=sug&page=1&id=19662#21375"][quote name="RiverEcho" date="2013-06-07 05:52:58" url="main.php?p=mb&board=sug&page=1&id=19662#20276"]We talked about this a lot in beta. We didn't want to break up families.[/quote] In any case, breaking up families seems completely unavoidable. The lair space is limited and there's a five generation inbreeding ban. [/quote] You can expand your lair to hold up to many many dragons. It takes time and treasure, but it's possible. I'm also just sharing what happened in beta. We talked about it for a very long while with all possibilities, and in the end most of us agreed it was a no go.
We talked about this a lot in beta. We didn't want to break up families.

In any case, breaking up families seems completely unavoidable. The lair space is limited and there's a five generation inbreeding ban.

You can expand your lair to hold up to many many dragons. It takes time and treasure, but it's possible.
I'm also just sharing what happened in beta. We talked about it for a very long while with all possibilities, and in the end most of us agreed it was a no go.
466w8yC.png
[quote name="RiverEcho" date="2013-06-07 16:44:33" url="main.php?p=mb&board=sug&page=1&id=19662#21593"] You can expand your lair to hold up to many many dragons. It takes time and treasure, but it's possible. [/quote] Maximum lair space is 99. Five generations equals 62 ancestors: 2+4+8+16+32. All of whom will have to completely unrelated for breeding. Half of them will have to be traded for. And if you have more than one breeding project? I stand by what I said: there's no choice but to break up families to free up space.
You can expand your lair to hold up to many many dragons. It takes time and treasure, but it's possible.
Maximum lair space is 99.
Five generations equals 62 ancestors: 2+4+8+16+32. All of whom will have to completely unrelated for breeding. Half of them will have to be traded for.

And if you have more than one breeding project? I stand by what I said: there's no choice but to break up families to free up space.

You're getting off the subject now. We never said you can't sell the babies after. We are talking about the nest. Praeses explained what we talked about in beta here: [quote name="Praeses" date="2013-06-07 10:37:43" url="main.php?p=mb&board=sug&page=1&id=19662#20660"]As RiverEcho mentioned this was discussed at length in beta, the admins gave several lore related reasons: [LIST] [*]Births occur within a clan [*]Clans (even of the same flight) may not always get along [*]A nest would not be separated before hatching as both the parents take care of them (probably linking back to the birth within clan thing). [/LIST] And several game mechanic reasons: [LIST] [*]Elements are determined by place of birth (ex. your clan's living location) [*]You are to build your own clan [*]Breeding is intended to be a challenge and offspring a discovery [*]Including studding mechanics would change the feeling and focus of the game [/LIST] Having played several breeding games where there were built in studding options I have to say that I very much agree with the last point. This game feels different from them and it is always nice to run into something that is unique. I found that breeding games where the creatures live forever that include studding seem to focus on low generation creatures to the point where people who had Gen 1 or 2 creatures could dictate the selling price and people with Gen 4 or more had to sell them for discount prices or remove them for a tiny monetary compensation. Granted these games did not give users progenitors, so there may be a difference there. The admins may change their stance on this later (and I wouldn't mind if they do) but for right now I'd rather they focus on squashing all the stability and usability bugs then coming up with code to allow studding. Maybe in a month or so studding won't seem like such an important thing? After all the site is still warming up. [/quote] We talked about it A LOT and had many sides and ideas to it and in the end the admins said it probably won't happen and it was pushed to the back burner because they want to fix bugs and they have more things in store (games, new breeds, etc) which I'd rather have. There is no need to get feathers flustered. I'm stating my side and what I heard, I never asked to be argued with. I hope your breeding goes well, happy gaming. :)
You're getting off the subject now. We never said you can't sell the babies after. We are talking about the nest. Praeses explained what we talked about in beta here:

We talked about it A LOT and had many sides and ideas to it and in the end the admins said it probably won't happen and it was pushed to the back burner because they want to fix bugs and they have more things in store (games, new breeds, etc) which I'd rather have.
There is no need to get feathers flustered. I'm stating my side and what I heard, I never asked to be argued with. I hope your breeding goes well, happy gaming. :)
466w8yC.png
There is a term for what you're sugesting but off the top of my head I cant think of it.
It would be a lot more realistic to be able to breed without trading and in such a transaction the ofspring would be shared automaticaly with majority going with the female if there's an uneven number of eggs (that just makes sense to me).
There is a term for what you're sugesting but off the top of my head I cant think of it.
It would be a lot more realistic to be able to breed without trading and in such a transaction the ofspring would be shared automaticaly with majority going with the female if there's an uneven number of eggs (that just makes sense to me).
Support. :)
Support. :)
AgfYhsq.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8