Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Align Justify
1 2 3 4 5
do some of these people even understand what you mean? it'd be a bbc option. not something that you have to format your text with. bbc option as in [*justify][/*justify] like how it is on like every other site that uses bbc

support
do some of these people even understand what you mean? it'd be a bbc option. not something that you have to format your text with. bbc option as in [*justify][/*justify] like how it is on like every other site that uses bbc

support
dgCbOKw.png
Why are people saying justify is hard to read? With the usual line breaks, it's no different than centered things...do you guys not like text to be centered as well??? It's just a BBcode option that's, frankly, missing. I'd love to have it in my dragon's bios because as of right now, left align on columns looks messy and I dislike it. I make funeral programs for a living and we justify the life reflections part on all of our programs, sometimes due to length we've had to print with a size 10 font, and nobody's once complained about the text being hard to read. ex: [img]http://i.imgur.com/le9OCRM.png[/img]
Why are people saying justify is hard to read? With the usual line breaks, it's no different than centered things...do you guys not like text to be centered as well??? It's just a BBcode option that's, frankly, missing. I'd love to have it in my dragon's bios because as of right now, left align on columns looks messy and I dislike it.

I make funeral programs for a living and we justify the life reflections part on all of our programs, sometimes due to length we've had to print with a size 10 font, and nobody's once complained about the text being hard to read.

ex:

le9OCRM.png

@thecatsred

Since I'm one of these people that have difficulties with justify I'll take the freedom to anyser your question. (At least from my point of view - can't say if it is the same for everyone).

On a Monitor I find both justify AND center hard to read. Luckily most people use center only for single lines of text not for a whole paragraph. Which is usually not the case for justify. This is most commonly used when writing long (mostly non-fictional/scientific) texts.

It looks very orderly.. But I guess noone is going to read it with gusto.. Its a pain to read through if you have to do it. And on something as optional as Bios and descriptions I am certain I will just scroll over these parts - Which will be a pity since usually I enjoy reading other peoples lore.

Do you print these funeral programms or are they sent out digitally? I have to say that justyfy is just fine printed. (To me) the problem resolves sorely around its use in electronic media.
@thecatsred

Since I'm one of these people that have difficulties with justify I'll take the freedom to anyser your question. (At least from my point of view - can't say if it is the same for everyone).

On a Monitor I find both justify AND center hard to read. Luckily most people use center only for single lines of text not for a whole paragraph. Which is usually not the case for justify. This is most commonly used when writing long (mostly non-fictional/scientific) texts.

It looks very orderly.. But I guess noone is going to read it with gusto.. Its a pain to read through if you have to do it. And on something as optional as Bios and descriptions I am certain I will just scroll over these parts - Which will be a pity since usually I enjoy reading other peoples lore.

Do you print these funeral programms or are they sent out digitally? I have to say that justyfy is just fine printed. (To me) the problem resolves sorely around its use in electronic media.
@Ismaiel

Hmm. Some of ours are sent digitally, but most are printed. I'm not sure why one version would be harder to read than the other, especially since at the very least, on a screen, you can blow up the text to read it easier. But I suppose as I don't have issues reading this, then I can't really say anything about it.

Though please, I do have one final question - are blocks of text the issue here, or is it how it's aligned?

For example....is this harder to read without the line breaks, even though it's aligned to the left?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse molestie egestas nunc vel lobortis. Nullam et interdum ex. Quisque sit amet hendrerit ante, id sollicitudin nibh. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Curabitur risus tortor, molestie vitae magna in, finibus consectetur nisi. Fusce non dolor sit amet sapien fringilla facilisis quis in quam. Cras nisi enim, lobortis et suscipit in, mollis ac libero. Curabitur consequat purus mauris, et sollicitudin mi facilisis in. Donec neque augue, ornare vel justo sed, mollis volutpat est. Ut vulputate nec sapien et congue. Aenean non ante vitae leo mollis bibendum semper vitae felis. Integer fringilla eu velit vel volutpat. Maecenas varius purus eu nibh gravida, in rhoncus arcu fermentum. Nulla commodo varius odio et lobortis. Suspendisse egestas sem sit amet ex egestas fermentum. Mauris gravida sit amet urna eget vestibulum. Sed quis accumsan felis. Donec elementum fringilla orci nec dapibus. Aenean luctus sed nisl quis bibendum. Fusce ultricies, leo eget venenatis gravida, velit sapien sagittis tortor, nec fermentum est purus vitae leo. Praesent tincidunt ullamcorper pellentesque. Cras augue nulla, fermentum in neque nec, fringilla pretium magna. Vivamus elementum augue gravida metus iaculis, sit amet pellentesque felis eleifend. Pellentesque vel commodo risus, sed consectetur quam. Nunc facilisis pharetra luctus. Praesent luctus bibendum aliquam. Morbi nunc nulla, sollicitudin ut gravida volutpat, interdum non mi. Integer ut tincidunt dui. Suspendisse in commodo urna, sit amet eleifend metus. Pellentesque vel sollicitudin odio. Maecenas eu consectetur massa. Proin maximus libero in elit interdum auctor. Duis eget ante vel urna cursus dapibus et at est. Mauris commodo sed elit quis mollis.
@Ismaiel

Hmm. Some of ours are sent digitally, but most are printed. I'm not sure why one version would be harder to read than the other, especially since at the very least, on a screen, you can blow up the text to read it easier. But I suppose as I don't have issues reading this, then I can't really say anything about it.

Though please, I do have one final question - are blocks of text the issue here, or is it how it's aligned?

For example....is this harder to read without the line breaks, even though it's aligned to the left?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse molestie egestas nunc vel lobortis. Nullam et interdum ex. Quisque sit amet hendrerit ante, id sollicitudin nibh. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Curabitur risus tortor, molestie vitae magna in, finibus consectetur nisi. Fusce non dolor sit amet sapien fringilla facilisis quis in quam. Cras nisi enim, lobortis et suscipit in, mollis ac libero. Curabitur consequat purus mauris, et sollicitudin mi facilisis in. Donec neque augue, ornare vel justo sed, mollis volutpat est. Ut vulputate nec sapien et congue. Aenean non ante vitae leo mollis bibendum semper vitae felis. Integer fringilla eu velit vel volutpat. Maecenas varius purus eu nibh gravida, in rhoncus arcu fermentum. Nulla commodo varius odio et lobortis. Suspendisse egestas sem sit amet ex egestas fermentum. Mauris gravida sit amet urna eget vestibulum. Sed quis accumsan felis. Donec elementum fringilla orci nec dapibus. Aenean luctus sed nisl quis bibendum. Fusce ultricies, leo eget venenatis gravida, velit sapien sagittis tortor, nec fermentum est purus vitae leo. Praesent tincidunt ullamcorper pellentesque. Cras augue nulla, fermentum in neque nec, fringilla pretium magna. Vivamus elementum augue gravida metus iaculis, sit amet pellentesque felis eleifend. Pellentesque vel commodo risus, sed consectetur quam. Nunc facilisis pharetra luctus. Praesent luctus bibendum aliquam. Morbi nunc nulla, sollicitudin ut gravida volutpat, interdum non mi. Integer ut tincidunt dui. Suspendisse in commodo urna, sit amet eleifend metus. Pellentesque vel sollicitudin odio. Maecenas eu consectetur massa. Proin maximus libero in elit interdum auctor. Duis eget ante vel urna cursus dapibus et at est. Mauris commodo sed elit quis mollis.

@thecatsred

Yes the issue comes from there. The problem I found with justify is that indentions are much harder to make out (similar to centered text). Repeating indent patterns make it hard for me to not loose the text passage I'm at too.

It is hard to read that block you used in your example. But doable because my brain seems to 'break up' the block at the slightly longer indents into readable paragraphs. The text is broken up like this in my minds eye:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse molestie egestas nunc vel lobortis. Nullam et interdum ex. Quisque sit amet hendrerit ante, id sollicitudin nibh. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Curabitur risus tortor,

molestie vitae magna in, finibus consectetur nisi. Fusce non dolor sit amet sapien fringilla facilisis quis in quam. Cras nisi enim, lobortis et suscipit in, mollis ac libero. Curabitur consequat purus mauris, et sollicitudin mi facilisis in. Donec neque augue, ornare vel justo sed, mollis volutpat est. Ut vulputate nec sapien et congue.

Aenean non ante vitae leo mollis bibendum semper vitae felis. Integer fringilla eu velit vel volutpat. Maecenas varius purus eu nibh gravida, in rhoncus arcu

fermentum. Nulla commodo varius odio et lobortis. Suspendisse egestas sem sit amet ex egestas fermentum. Mauris gravida sit amet urna eget vestibulum. Sed quis accumsan felis. Donec elementum fringilla orci nec dapibus. Aenean luctus sed nisl quis bibendum. Fusce ultricies, leo eget venenatis gravida, velit sapien sagittis tortor, nec fermentum est purus vitae leo. Praesent tincidunt ullamcorper

pellentesque. Cras augue nulla, fermentum in neque nec, fringilla pretium magna. Vivamus elementum augue gravida metus iaculis, sit amet pellentesque felis eleifend. Pellentesque vel commodo risus, sed consectetur quam. Nunc facilisis pharetra luctus. Praesent luctus bibendum aliquam. Morbi nunc nulla, sollicitudin ut

gravida volutpat, interdum non mi. Integer ut tincidunt dui. Suspendisse in commodo urna, sit amet eleifend metus. Pellentesque vel sollicitudin odio. Maecenas eu consectetur massa. Proin maximus libero in elit interdum auctor. Duis eget ante vel urna cursus dapibus et at est. Mauris commodo sed elit quis mollis.

But this natural occuring 'breakup' would be completely missing in a justified text and I can only hope that people will make small enough paragraphs when using this format.
@thecatsred

Yes the issue comes from there. The problem I found with justify is that indentions are much harder to make out (similar to centered text). Repeating indent patterns make it hard for me to not loose the text passage I'm at too.

It is hard to read that block you used in your example. But doable because my brain seems to 'break up' the block at the slightly longer indents into readable paragraphs. The text is broken up like this in my minds eye:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse molestie egestas nunc vel lobortis. Nullam et interdum ex. Quisque sit amet hendrerit ante, id sollicitudin nibh. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Curabitur risus tortor,

molestie vitae magna in, finibus consectetur nisi. Fusce non dolor sit amet sapien fringilla facilisis quis in quam. Cras nisi enim, lobortis et suscipit in, mollis ac libero. Curabitur consequat purus mauris, et sollicitudin mi facilisis in. Donec neque augue, ornare vel justo sed, mollis volutpat est. Ut vulputate nec sapien et congue.

Aenean non ante vitae leo mollis bibendum semper vitae felis. Integer fringilla eu velit vel volutpat. Maecenas varius purus eu nibh gravida, in rhoncus arcu

fermentum. Nulla commodo varius odio et lobortis. Suspendisse egestas sem sit amet ex egestas fermentum. Mauris gravida sit amet urna eget vestibulum. Sed quis accumsan felis. Donec elementum fringilla orci nec dapibus. Aenean luctus sed nisl quis bibendum. Fusce ultricies, leo eget venenatis gravida, velit sapien sagittis tortor, nec fermentum est purus vitae leo. Praesent tincidunt ullamcorper

pellentesque. Cras augue nulla, fermentum in neque nec, fringilla pretium magna. Vivamus elementum augue gravida metus iaculis, sit amet pellentesque felis eleifend. Pellentesque vel commodo risus, sed consectetur quam. Nunc facilisis pharetra luctus. Praesent luctus bibendum aliquam. Morbi nunc nulla, sollicitudin ut

gravida volutpat, interdum non mi. Integer ut tincidunt dui. Suspendisse in commodo urna, sit amet eleifend metus. Pellentesque vel sollicitudin odio. Maecenas eu consectetur massa. Proin maximus libero in elit interdum auctor. Duis eget ante vel urna cursus dapibus et at est. Mauris commodo sed elit quis mollis.

But this natural occuring 'breakup' would be completely missing in a justified text and I can only hope that people will make small enough paragraphs when using this format.
@Ismaiel

Ahh makes sense!

Then perhaps for ease of reading, maybe make align-justify only available on dragon bios and clan profiles?
@Ismaiel

Ahh makes sense!

Then perhaps for ease of reading, maybe make align-justify only available on dragon bios and clan profiles?

@thecatsred

That would be a compromiss to at least keep the forum (easily) readable.

I still would prefer some kind of 'turn off button' that resets the format coding to left alignd format for the user 'opting out' only.

So people prefering/having no problem with certain format can use them and people who do have problems/really don't like it can just turn it of for their personal view of the site.
@thecatsred

That would be a compromiss to at least keep the forum (easily) readable.

I still would prefer some kind of 'turn off button' that resets the format coding to left alignd format for the user 'opting out' only.

So people prefering/having no problem with certain format can use them and people who do have problems/really don't like it can just turn it of for their personal view of the site.
@Ismaiel

As long as there was a way to make sure that the lack of justification or otherwise wouldn't terrible destroy someone's visual set up/formatting to their clan page/dragon bio, I don't see why not, though I'm not sure there would be a way to toggle this sort of thing on and off for individual people considering it's just bbcode, and not a site function (like the alt version of the coli, for example).
@Ismaiel

As long as there was a way to make sure that the lack of justification or otherwise wouldn't terrible destroy someone's visual set up/formatting to their clan page/dragon bio, I don't see why not, though I'm not sure there would be a way to toggle this sort of thing on and off for individual people considering it's just bbcode, and not a site function (like the alt version of the coli, for example).

@thecatsred

I know there is a way to make this in HTML coding. At least I know a friend that had a coding class and was expected to make a site where users could choose their prefered formats and size and so on and the site would then 'convert' every text to the choosen type for this one viewer only. Later on he complained about having to rewrite his code cause the teacher now wanted it 'fully optional' and only certain formats would needed to be converted while others had to stay as they were.

I'm not sure how this is done but I think it might be the solution to the optionality. I can zoom in for a better size but format is out of my hand. (Other than anyone knowing a plug in to do as I described?)
@thecatsred

I know there is a way to make this in HTML coding. At least I know a friend that had a coding class and was expected to make a site where users could choose their prefered formats and size and so on and the site would then 'convert' every text to the choosen type for this one viewer only. Later on he complained about having to rewrite his code cause the teacher now wanted it 'fully optional' and only certain formats would needed to be converted while others had to stay as they were.

I'm not sure how this is done but I think it might be the solution to the optionality. I can zoom in for a better size but format is out of my hand. (Other than anyone knowing a plug in to do as I described?)
@Ismaiel

Hmmm, I'm not too versed on coding but as long as it doesn't slow down the site I am all for more options for people!

As for plug-ins, admins seem to hate any sort of code that changes the visuals of the site, even if it's only on one person's computer. They disallow plug-ins that just do overlays or recolors so I can't seem them allowing plug ins that change text.
@Ismaiel

Hmmm, I'm not too versed on coding but as long as it doesn't slow down the site I am all for more options for people!

As for plug-ins, admins seem to hate any sort of code that changes the visuals of the site, even if it's only on one person's computer. They disallow plug-ins that just do overlays or recolors so I can't seem them allowing plug ins that change text.

1 2 3 4 5