Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Population Control
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
I'm not sure I understand the problem? I like that there are a ton of dragons to choose from because it makes it easier to get the ones I like. I don't have to sit here and stress about seeing a really pretty dragon and despairing because it costs a ton and I have nowhere near enough to buy it. I mean unless that's part of the problem you have with it? That you can't make bank on the dragons you're trying to sell? (I'm not sure).

Like, I tend to just exalt the ones I don't want because they don't sell, which is fine. Unless you're concerned that no one's buying your dragons period because they're not looking for them and or they have to sift through a ton to see yours? But if that's the case, wouldn't making a sales thread help alleviate that? People will go looking if they're on the hunt for something specific, in threads and the auction house. So I'm?? Idk. Confused I guess.

I like the way it is now because it's easier to get what I want. I've been on a few sites at this point where that part of the site as a whole, getting items and or pets, is the worst and discouraging part because people are trying to sell things for outrageous prices because they have 'the only one/one of the only few available'. Like honestly, that still happens on here regardless of the dragon count, I've spent more than I wanted on a dragon or two (maybe three? ??), but it's not AS BAD which is a RELIEF for me. It means this site remains enjoyable for me and less stressful, and I'm less likely to leave because it's still fun to come on and work towards and get the things I like, which is ACHIEVABLE without having to work my butt off for a month just to scrounge up enough treasure or gems for one thing and then go broke and repeat the process all over again. It's not fun, it's stressful as heck.
I'm not sure I understand the problem? I like that there are a ton of dragons to choose from because it makes it easier to get the ones I like. I don't have to sit here and stress about seeing a really pretty dragon and despairing because it costs a ton and I have nowhere near enough to buy it. I mean unless that's part of the problem you have with it? That you can't make bank on the dragons you're trying to sell? (I'm not sure).

Like, I tend to just exalt the ones I don't want because they don't sell, which is fine. Unless you're concerned that no one's buying your dragons period because they're not looking for them and or they have to sift through a ton to see yours? But if that's the case, wouldn't making a sales thread help alleviate that? People will go looking if they're on the hunt for something specific, in threads and the auction house. So I'm?? Idk. Confused I guess.

I like the way it is now because it's easier to get what I want. I've been on a few sites at this point where that part of the site as a whole, getting items and or pets, is the worst and discouraging part because people are trying to sell things for outrageous prices because they have 'the only one/one of the only few available'. Like honestly, that still happens on here regardless of the dragon count, I've spent more than I wanted on a dragon or two (maybe three? ??), but it's not AS BAD which is a RELIEF for me. It means this site remains enjoyable for me and less stressful, and I'm less likely to leave because it's still fun to come on and work towards and get the things I like, which is ACHIEVABLE without having to work my butt off for a month just to scrounge up enough treasure or gems for one thing and then go broke and repeat the process all over again. It's not fun, it's stressful as heck.
@Shaish

A lot of the 'problem' tends to be that people want to be able to make a profit on dragons, not just niche dragons or special dragons like that, but any dragon they breed. Which is fine, however, that isn't the way this particular site is set up.

Like you, I much prefer dragons to be cheap and plentiful, since they are the focus of the site, and have the site feel more welcoming to a new player (I almost quit a site once because you only got one 'pet' and when I looked, the pets for sale were in like the 10K + range, which for that site, with only one pet, was a LOT of money, and without more pets, it was nearly impossible to make money, however, the community there is hugely welcoming and generous, and I was given five pets for free, it allowed me to get a foot hold in the site), than the opposite.

However, I do wish that there was something that would raise demand for dragons a bit (not to huge levels for basic fodder), so that dragons would still seem like the focus of the game instead of another collection area.
@Shaish

A lot of the 'problem' tends to be that people want to be able to make a profit on dragons, not just niche dragons or special dragons like that, but any dragon they breed. Which is fine, however, that isn't the way this particular site is set up.

Like you, I much prefer dragons to be cheap and plentiful, since they are the focus of the site, and have the site feel more welcoming to a new player (I almost quit a site once because you only got one 'pet' and when I looked, the pets for sale were in like the 10K + range, which for that site, with only one pet, was a LOT of money, and without more pets, it was nearly impossible to make money, however, the community there is hugely welcoming and generous, and I was given five pets for free, it allowed me to get a foot hold in the site), than the opposite.

However, I do wish that there was something that would raise demand for dragons a bit (not to huge levels for basic fodder), so that dragons would still seem like the focus of the game instead of another collection area.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Jemadar

Mmm, that's true, that last bit. I saw an earlier suggestion somewhere about dragons being useful in a place other than breeding and the coliseum, but I'm assuming that would mean coming up with a new part of the site for a new role for them to be used in. Which wouldn't be bad, I think it'd be great, but it would definitely take a bit of time to get something new thought up and built. Which, again, isn't a bad thing, but if anyone's looking for an immediate solution, I don't think they're going to find it easy.
@Jemadar

Mmm, that's true, that last bit. I saw an earlier suggestion somewhere about dragons being useful in a place other than breeding and the coliseum, but I'm assuming that would mean coming up with a new part of the site for a new role for them to be used in. Which wouldn't be bad, I think it'd be great, but it would definitely take a bit of time to get something new thought up and built. Which, again, isn't a bad thing, but if anyone's looking for an immediate solution, I don't think they're going to find it easy.
Oh boy its this idea, its interesting to look at it after so much time has passed.

We need an exalt currency and exalt shop. Exalt a dragon, get a token, get to spend the tokens you get in a special shop that has unique familiars, apparel, vistas, etc. And the best part is that everyone can take part by simply breeding your dragons- a core game mechanic.

Oh boy its this idea, its interesting to look at it after so much time has passed.

We need an exalt currency and exalt shop. Exalt a dragon, get a token, get to spend the tokens you get in a special shop that has unique familiars, apparel, vistas, etc. And the best part is that everyone can take part by simply breeding your dragons- a core game mechanic.

tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
[quote name="Autopilot" date=2017-06-05 12:35:00] Oh boy its this idea, its interesting to look at it after so much time has passed. We need an exalt currency and exalt shop. Exalt a dragon, get a token, get to spend the tokens you get in a special shop that has unique familiars, apparel, vistas, etc. And the best part is that everyone can take part by simply breeding your dragons- a core game mechanic. [/quote] This ^ This is one of the best ideas I've heard for giving dragons extra use, and I can't imagine it being too difficult to implant~
Autopilot wrote on 2017-06-05:

This ^

This is one of the best ideas I've heard for giving dragons extra use, and I can't imagine it being too difficult to implant~
UwUnl7O.png
Well, this certainly got heated. I'm going to reply to a few ideas I've seen floating around in this thread, then give my opinion on the main idea of it below the break.

On increasing exalt payout:
That's how you get inflation. We're already dealing with a little inflation as treasure is worth less and less compared to gems. This would cause serious problems with the economy without increasing exalts long-term.

On an exalt token shop:
One of the few ideas in this thread I actually like. I see no downside here. While I'm not sure how the mechanics could be perfected in regards to the economy (do you get treasure and a token? Do you pick which one you want? Do you randomly get one or the other?), I think it could be a fun feature. Swipp and Baldwin have made previously useless items suddenly important, and it's fun. An exalt shop could make exalting more fun.

On increasing exalts in general:
I think the best way to increase the number of exalts would be to make having dom more exciting. Right now it's the same benefit every time. Why not add more kinds of benefits (A special dom Flight only shop, more tangible coli benefits, another random item daily similar to Pinkerton, etc) and randomize them each week?

Dom battles are an extremely fun activity with the direct consequence of massively raising the number of dragons exalted. More interesting and varied dom benefits could encourage Flights to push more often. An extremely rare dom benefit being set for the next week could encourage sudden dom battles.

On limiting rare breed egg numbers:
I feel like it has been forgotten that this already exists. Rarer breeds have longer cooldowns. Rarer breeds already produce fewer total eggs than more common breeds.

On clearing the Auction House:
This idea is frankly a little ridiculous. No one would trust the admins or the Auction House again. Dragon sales would be moved to forum threads and Crossroads for fear of it happening again. This would be nothing but messy, frustrating, and more difficult for absolutely everyone.

On giving rewards for not breeding dragons:
Once again, inflation would like to have a word with you. We're in need of more money sinks right now, not new sources of treasure.

On elder dragons:
I don't think this would help at all. Permababies already exist, and they haven't made a dent in the population. Other users have already stated why making this automatic would be a bad idea.

On making exalting sound less negative:
I'm not sure what else could possibly be done to improve the general opinion on exalting. The definition of the word exalt is "hold (someone or something) in very high regard; think or speak very highly of." It has been stated multiple times that in-lore, exalting a dragon is the highest honor they can receive. Exalted dragons are seen on a literal pedestal. What more do people want?

All that being said: This is irrelevant because I don't believe there is a problem here to be fixed.

Take a look at the first post in this thread. 2014. It has been years since this discussion started, and the site still hasn't fallen apart under the weight of overpopulation. The economy is in decent shape, people are still selling dragons, and it's still fun to buy pretty dragons cheap.

I'll admit that I'm part of the 'problem' people are worrying about. Between breeding pairs and projects, I hatch a nest about every other day. I sell a lot of these for fodder price, but that never stopped me. I like to breed my pairs and I like to make pretty dragons, so I keep doing what I find fun.

I don't think there are too many dragons. Anyone who thinks there are too many dragons should try to help me out with my Umber/Lapis/Sanguine falcon/butt/glim Nocturne breeding project, because I can't find anything like it to breed with. I say there aren't enough dragons. We need more combinations of genes, breeds, and colors on the market.

The market is always changing, and we have to change with it. When Butterfly first came out, the cheapest babies were selling for around 200K or more. I spent a ton on a Butterfly breeding pair, bred them, and rolled in profit. Over time, Butterfly became less valuable. I didn't make a fuss about how Butterfly needs to be passed down less often, or produce fewer eggs, or have some sort of exalt incentive to lower the numbers. My Butterfly pair sells their babies for just barely above fodder price now, and that's okay. Times change, you can't rely on one specific thing to make you profit forever. I'm still having fun.

The problem here isn't overpopulation or cheap dragons, it's people not wanting to adapt to changing times.
Well, this certainly got heated. I'm going to reply to a few ideas I've seen floating around in this thread, then give my opinion on the main idea of it below the break.

On increasing exalt payout:
That's how you get inflation. We're already dealing with a little inflation as treasure is worth less and less compared to gems. This would cause serious problems with the economy without increasing exalts long-term.

On an exalt token shop:
One of the few ideas in this thread I actually like. I see no downside here. While I'm not sure how the mechanics could be perfected in regards to the economy (do you get treasure and a token? Do you pick which one you want? Do you randomly get one or the other?), I think it could be a fun feature. Swipp and Baldwin have made previously useless items suddenly important, and it's fun. An exalt shop could make exalting more fun.

On increasing exalts in general:
I think the best way to increase the number of exalts would be to make having dom more exciting. Right now it's the same benefit every time. Why not add more kinds of benefits (A special dom Flight only shop, more tangible coli benefits, another random item daily similar to Pinkerton, etc) and randomize them each week?

Dom battles are an extremely fun activity with the direct consequence of massively raising the number of dragons exalted. More interesting and varied dom benefits could encourage Flights to push more often. An extremely rare dom benefit being set for the next week could encourage sudden dom battles.

On limiting rare breed egg numbers:
I feel like it has been forgotten that this already exists. Rarer breeds have longer cooldowns. Rarer breeds already produce fewer total eggs than more common breeds.

On clearing the Auction House:
This idea is frankly a little ridiculous. No one would trust the admins or the Auction House again. Dragon sales would be moved to forum threads and Crossroads for fear of it happening again. This would be nothing but messy, frustrating, and more difficult for absolutely everyone.

On giving rewards for not breeding dragons:
Once again, inflation would like to have a word with you. We're in need of more money sinks right now, not new sources of treasure.

On elder dragons:
I don't think this would help at all. Permababies already exist, and they haven't made a dent in the population. Other users have already stated why making this automatic would be a bad idea.

On making exalting sound less negative:
I'm not sure what else could possibly be done to improve the general opinion on exalting. The definition of the word exalt is "hold (someone or something) in very high regard; think or speak very highly of." It has been stated multiple times that in-lore, exalting a dragon is the highest honor they can receive. Exalted dragons are seen on a literal pedestal. What more do people want?

All that being said: This is irrelevant because I don't believe there is a problem here to be fixed.

Take a look at the first post in this thread. 2014. It has been years since this discussion started, and the site still hasn't fallen apart under the weight of overpopulation. The economy is in decent shape, people are still selling dragons, and it's still fun to buy pretty dragons cheap.

I'll admit that I'm part of the 'problem' people are worrying about. Between breeding pairs and projects, I hatch a nest about every other day. I sell a lot of these for fodder price, but that never stopped me. I like to breed my pairs and I like to make pretty dragons, so I keep doing what I find fun.

I don't think there are too many dragons. Anyone who thinks there are too many dragons should try to help me out with my Umber/Lapis/Sanguine falcon/butt/glim Nocturne breeding project, because I can't find anything like it to breed with. I say there aren't enough dragons. We need more combinations of genes, breeds, and colors on the market.

The market is always changing, and we have to change with it. When Butterfly first came out, the cheapest babies were selling for around 200K or more. I spent a ton on a Butterfly breeding pair, bred them, and rolled in profit. Over time, Butterfly became less valuable. I didn't make a fuss about how Butterfly needs to be passed down less often, or produce fewer eggs, or have some sort of exalt incentive to lower the numbers. My Butterfly pair sells their babies for just barely above fodder price now, and that's okay. Times change, you can't rely on one specific thing to make you profit forever. I'm still having fun.

The problem here isn't overpopulation or cheap dragons, it's people not wanting to adapt to changing times.
The RNG taketh, and the RNG taketh more. The RNG does not give.
Hoard style apparel guide (!image heavy!)
Small art shop!
I agree with pretty much everything ShiraCheshire said. I'm also pretty sure I've given my opinions on this topic somewhere in this large thread, but I don't quite have the time to fish through and check right now. The reason I'm posting is to comment on one specific thing: [quote]I'm not sure what else could possibly be done to improve the general opinion on exalting.[/quote] I think there's one very simple thing the admins could do to help put a damper on all the "Exalting is just like killing!!" people (not the ones who lore this intentionally knowing it ISN'T canon, but the ones who honestly think that's the site's canon is something like this). Make an article in the encyclopedia about exalting. It's a major site feature anyway, so it makes sense to have an article about it. In the article the admins have only to officially record a lot of the things they've said over the years in hard-to-dig up forum threads about exalting anyway, except somewhere people are likely to read or can easily point others to read. Other than that, yeah, I like the exalt tokens idea to encourage exalting, but also agree there [i]is[/i] no problem.
I agree with pretty much everything ShiraCheshire said.

I'm also pretty sure I've given my opinions on this topic somewhere in this large thread, but I don't quite have the time to fish through and check right now.

The reason I'm posting is to comment on one specific thing:
Quote:
I'm not sure what else could possibly be done to improve the general opinion on exalting.

I think there's one very simple thing the admins could do to help put a damper on all the "Exalting is just like killing!!" people (not the ones who lore this intentionally knowing it ISN'T canon, but the ones who honestly think that's the site's canon is something like this).

Make an article in the encyclopedia about exalting. It's a major site feature anyway, so it makes sense to have an article about it. In the article the admins have only to officially record a lot of the things they've said over the years in hard-to-dig up forum threads about exalting anyway, except somewhere people are likely to read or can easily point others to read.

Other than that, yeah, I like the exalt tokens idea to encourage exalting, but also agree there is no problem.
Yeah this really isn't a problem, this is from a different time, after the market crash if I recall correctly.

Mostly, I'd like the encouragement to exalt via that special shop. Dom would be far more intense with the average user exalting more often (It is extremely rare that I exalt. 99% of the time I sell) but i'd be happy to exalt if I felt I could slowly work towards something.

These items could even be priced at 200 tokens, 500 tokens, 10,000 tokens, etc. You could make the amounts even higher at that. Perhaps this is just from the fact that i feel no connection to dom let alone any desire because its so lackluster. Yet exalting is a key part of the game that everyone could play in, so it would be nice if there was another mechanic to it.
Yeah this really isn't a problem, this is from a different time, after the market crash if I recall correctly.

Mostly, I'd like the encouragement to exalt via that special shop. Dom would be far more intense with the average user exalting more often (It is extremely rare that I exalt. 99% of the time I sell) but i'd be happy to exalt if I felt I could slowly work towards something.

These items could even be priced at 200 tokens, 500 tokens, 10,000 tokens, etc. You could make the amounts even higher at that. Perhaps this is just from the fact that i feel no connection to dom let alone any desire because its so lackluster. Yet exalting is a key part of the game that everyone could play in, so it would be nice if there was another mechanic to it.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
better to just make the exalting system better I think
better to just make the exalting system better I think
courier_edgar.gifcourier_pearl.gifcourier_spitfire.gif
[quote name="Autopilot" date="2017-06-05 12:35:00" ] Oh boy its this idea, its interesting to look at it after so much time has passed. We need an exalt currency and exalt shop. Exalt a dragon, get a token, get to spend the tokens you get in a special shop that has unique familiars, apparel, vistas, etc. And the best part is that everyone can take part by simply breeding your dragons- a core game mechanic. [/quote] this. not elders... *cringes* im still iffy on perma-babies... [s]i mean i like mine but...like it took me a year to even want one[/s]
Autopilot wrote on 2017-06-05 12:35:00:

this. not elders... *cringes* im still iffy on perma-babies... i mean i like mine but...like it took me a year to even want one
TBD
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22