Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Coliseum Accessibility: 40* threads
The fact they still haven't made keyboard controls sorta irks me. It is seriously needed, and I'm assuming it wouldn't take too super long to code in.

At least they should address if they plan to do it or not.

SUPPORT
The fact they still haven't made keyboard controls sorta irks me. It is seriously needed, and I'm assuming it wouldn't take too super long to code in.

At least they should address if they plan to do it or not.

SUPPORT
Like animal/Furry art? Check out my dA!
http://toxicundead.deviantart.com
yo, hella support
yo, hella support
fk7NBvR.gif Ozarks/Ozzy/Oz | He/They | ENG/ESP/AjNOeQU.png | [FR+0] oHsnEL0.gif

Avatar Dragon ButtonWishlist ButtonF.A.Q. ButtonLooking For G1s Button
I think a toggle would be helpful, but a lot of these complaints are quite dramatic.

It sounds cruel, but Fligt Rising has to keep up with the needs of a very large community, and will most likely fix the problems the most people are affected by. I almost NEVER play the Coli I get by absolutley fine. My dragons are usually all fully fed. If you really hate not being able to use the Coli, or it causes that much pain, nobody is forcing you to play it! If the game is hurting you, make sure that a doctor has shown you a way to resolve the problem, or simply play a different game.
I think a toggle would be helpful, but a lot of these complaints are quite dramatic.

It sounds cruel, but Fligt Rising has to keep up with the needs of a very large community, and will most likely fix the problems the most people are affected by. I almost NEVER play the Coli I get by absolutley fine. My dragons are usually all fully fed. If you really hate not being able to use the Coli, or it causes that much pain, nobody is forcing you to play it! If the game is hurting you, make sure that a doctor has shown you a way to resolve the problem, or simply play a different game.
no
[quote name="MadisonFae" date=2015-09-21 16:48:18] I think a toggle would be helpful, but a lot of these complaints are quite dramatic. It sounds cruel, but Fligt Rising has to keep up with the needs of a very large community, and will most likely fix the problems the most people are affected by. I almost NEVER play the Coli I get by absolutley fine. My dragons are usually all fully fed. If you really hate not being able to use the Coli, or it causes that much pain, nobody is forcing you to play it! If the game is hurting you, make sure that a doctor has shown you a way to resolve the problem, or simply play a different game. [/quote] Yes they do need to keep up with a lot of demands, but remember this is a business they are running. Accessablility is something that is pretty important to a lot of people, especially those who want to play this game to forget about the pain and issues they have in life. And when a site advertises that they have a battle system you have to expect people to come to play just for that aspect. Making it easier for people to do so should be a top priority. Making a few changes to improve the game play is more important than making new clothes and colors to be honest.
MadisonFae wrote on 2015-09-21:

Yes they do need to keep up with a lot of demands, but remember this is a business they are running. Accessablility is something that is pretty important to a lot of people, especially those who want to play this game to forget about the pain and issues they have in life.

And when a site advertises that they have a battle system you have to expect people to come to play just for that aspect. Making it easier for people to do so should be a top priority.

Making a few changes to improve the game play is more important than making new clothes and colors to be honest.
Like animal/Furry art? Check out my dA!
http://toxicundead.deviantart.com
Bumping because this matters!
xXx
Bumping because this matters!
xXx
GGxwhCh.pngXiooxiH.png
Bumping to get this back to the front page!
Bumping to get this back to the front page!
If this doesn't get settled soon enough, FR may find themselves in expensive hot water. >.< I'd hate to see that, but the more I think about it the more it seems inevitable.

Flight Rising encourages people to use the Coli through the general overall game structure. The lore. The concept which goes beyond other "pet games". The lack of "other things to do to level up a dragon" that is less strenuous on the wrist is extra problematic.

It's either stop playing entirely (cause ya know, hobby, 'just a game', etc) or getting mad enough to do something serious. However the use of "gems" which takes real world currency to purchase makes it difficult for people to turn away from their investment into the game itself. (Why would they want to? This is an amazing game! With an amazing user base!)

I don't know what they did to code the site, nor do I know the extent to what they did for the games, which includes the coli. However in my personal experience and from my research, it really isn't THAT hard to tweak the site for accessibility in general. And as the games, as far as I understand it, use HTML5 and Canvas elements, key mapping is a simple thing.

Mind you - a lot of time and effort will be needed to either create work around's or to edit the code without cause site-wide crashes. Yes. But adding aria labels, writing titles for links and alt tags for images really isn't that hard. Re-working the Games to include key-mapping may be some what delicate (depending on how it's all coded), but it's a minor string to add compared to the rest of the code to make the Coli work.

I don't know if their concern is with cheaters, and being able to create software to use key mapped elements (yes it's thing)., or if they don't have the funding to support a total re-vamp of the site to be both accessible and mobile friendly.

Mind you I'm not just talking out of my tush here. I work for a company that is under contract with the US government to recreated the health portal within the VA's website (and network). I've been working CLOSELY with the Section 508 Office in order to make sure our design choices are in fact, up to snuff.

I've been coding websites since 1999. I'm a devote follower of WCAG, and W3C. It takes time and effort but it's so worth it.

I KNOW it's an extra layer for the 1% of general users.

However even TARGET has gotten on the accessibility bandwagon as it were. Go check out their site! They wised up, and it increased their over all sales.

But of course even though section 508 of the ADA law means nothing to commercial interests YET - and only really pertains to the US Federal Government and it's enterprise projects.....

Oh and yes... 508 , which is a copy of WCAG 1.0, is a LAW in the US. Until someone sues more web-sites to get them accessible to the handicapped.... it's not going to change from being a government-only mandate (yet). But it IS part of the ADA.

http://webaim.org/standards/508/checklist
http://www.ada.gov/508/
http://www.ada.gov/pubs/adastatute08.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_508_Amendment_to_the_Rehabilitation_Act_of_1973

WHY COMPLY?
http://www.hhs.gov/web/section-508/why-comply/index.html

That's a huge problem in my book. So much so that it's become difficult to enjoy this site due to increased damage to my wrists.... that I NEED to work for my job.

I strained the -tendon in my lower arm- grinding coli this week.... I've had my wrists in braces since then.

Why this is an issue is one of liability.

THIS SITE supports intense Coliseum interaction through the bonuses of dominance. In fact a good portion of this site is centered around the fight between the dieties and thus encourages users to level up their dragons - in the Coli.

The ONLY way to level up a dragon isn't through the games.... nor through breeding more powerful dragons the way some other pet games might be able to do. It requires grinding the coli, repetitive clicks and mouse movements to do so, and not having it key-mapped.

Rewarding behavior that is harmful is also a liability.

PLEASE fix the code. If you're not sure how I'd be happy to offer FREE consultation on my weekends.
If this doesn't get settled soon enough, FR may find themselves in expensive hot water. >.< I'd hate to see that, but the more I think about it the more it seems inevitable.

Flight Rising encourages people to use the Coli through the general overall game structure. The lore. The concept which goes beyond other "pet games". The lack of "other things to do to level up a dragon" that is less strenuous on the wrist is extra problematic.

It's either stop playing entirely (cause ya know, hobby, 'just a game', etc) or getting mad enough to do something serious. However the use of "gems" which takes real world currency to purchase makes it difficult for people to turn away from their investment into the game itself. (Why would they want to? This is an amazing game! With an amazing user base!)

I don't know what they did to code the site, nor do I know the extent to what they did for the games, which includes the coli. However in my personal experience and from my research, it really isn't THAT hard to tweak the site for accessibility in general. And as the games, as far as I understand it, use HTML5 and Canvas elements, key mapping is a simple thing.

Mind you - a lot of time and effort will be needed to either create work around's or to edit the code without cause site-wide crashes. Yes. But adding aria labels, writing titles for links and alt tags for images really isn't that hard. Re-working the Games to include key-mapping may be some what delicate (depending on how it's all coded), but it's a minor string to add compared to the rest of the code to make the Coli work.

I don't know if their concern is with cheaters, and being able to create software to use key mapped elements (yes it's thing)., or if they don't have the funding to support a total re-vamp of the site to be both accessible and mobile friendly.

Mind you I'm not just talking out of my tush here. I work for a company that is under contract with the US government to recreated the health portal within the VA's website (and network). I've been working CLOSELY with the Section 508 Office in order to make sure our design choices are in fact, up to snuff.

I've been coding websites since 1999. I'm a devote follower of WCAG, and W3C. It takes time and effort but it's so worth it.

I KNOW it's an extra layer for the 1% of general users.

However even TARGET has gotten on the accessibility bandwagon as it were. Go check out their site! They wised up, and it increased their over all sales.

But of course even though section 508 of the ADA law means nothing to commercial interests YET - and only really pertains to the US Federal Government and it's enterprise projects.....

Oh and yes... 508 , which is a copy of WCAG 1.0, is a LAW in the US. Until someone sues more web-sites to get them accessible to the handicapped.... it's not going to change from being a government-only mandate (yet). But it IS part of the ADA.

http://webaim.org/standards/508/checklist
http://www.ada.gov/508/
http://www.ada.gov/pubs/adastatute08.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_508_Amendment_to_the_Rehabilitation_Act_of_1973

WHY COMPLY?
http://www.hhs.gov/web/section-508/why-comply/index.html

That's a huge problem in my book. So much so that it's become difficult to enjoy this site due to increased damage to my wrists.... that I NEED to work for my job.

I strained the -tendon in my lower arm- grinding coli this week.... I've had my wrists in braces since then.

Why this is an issue is one of liability.

THIS SITE supports intense Coliseum interaction through the bonuses of dominance. In fact a good portion of this site is centered around the fight between the dieties and thus encourages users to level up their dragons - in the Coli.

The ONLY way to level up a dragon isn't through the games.... nor through breeding more powerful dragons the way some other pet games might be able to do. It requires grinding the coli, repetitive clicks and mouse movements to do so, and not having it key-mapped.

Rewarding behavior that is harmful is also a liability.

PLEASE fix the code. If you're not sure how I'd be happy to offer FREE consultation on my weekends.
My mom has carpal tunnel. Since I've spent so much of my childhood and young adult life on the computer, I am easily headed that way myself. I know this, I wear wrist braces whenever I start feeling pain because it seems to help, I take breaks if I feel like I've been straining myself too much. Anything to try and delay what feels pretty darn inevitable.

I also have anxiety, and one of the things that calms me down most effectively is having a repetitive action to focus on, like grinding in the coliseum. It works so well for me, but the strain on my wrists is bad. During festivals, I wear my braces all week because I'm in constant discomfort - it hurts, but at least for me it's a manageable level of pain that doesn't interfere with my daily activities. For now.

I'm one of those users that, early on, played Shock Switch until my wrist was wrecked for weeks just to get enough treasure to pay for the dragons I wanted - as many recall, they were much more expensive back then and people were incredibly generous about holds. I can't handle that game anymore, and it took me over a year to come back into the fairgrounds at all. The coliseum is one of the few active things I do on this site, and as I said it is the most effective for helping when I'm feeling anxious. Having keybindings would be amazing because it would let me press buttons instead, and I could even get a game pad so that I could change positions or even hands if I needed to give my wrists a break, without sacrificing my enjoyment of the site.

I play pet sites to calm myself down, but calming myself should not lead to injury. It's good that the staff addressed some of the visual issues with the coliseum, but what about the physical issues of its use? Especially since I'm pretty sure we'd get in trouble for coding something to add bindings ourselves.
My mom has carpal tunnel. Since I've spent so much of my childhood and young adult life on the computer, I am easily headed that way myself. I know this, I wear wrist braces whenever I start feeling pain because it seems to help, I take breaks if I feel like I've been straining myself too much. Anything to try and delay what feels pretty darn inevitable.

I also have anxiety, and one of the things that calms me down most effectively is having a repetitive action to focus on, like grinding in the coliseum. It works so well for me, but the strain on my wrists is bad. During festivals, I wear my braces all week because I'm in constant discomfort - it hurts, but at least for me it's a manageable level of pain that doesn't interfere with my daily activities. For now.

I'm one of those users that, early on, played Shock Switch until my wrist was wrecked for weeks just to get enough treasure to pay for the dragons I wanted - as many recall, they were much more expensive back then and people were incredibly generous about holds. I can't handle that game anymore, and it took me over a year to come back into the fairgrounds at all. The coliseum is one of the few active things I do on this site, and as I said it is the most effective for helping when I'm feeling anxious. Having keybindings would be amazing because it would let me press buttons instead, and I could even get a game pad so that I could change positions or even hands if I needed to give my wrists a break, without sacrificing my enjoyment of the site.

I play pet sites to calm myself down, but calming myself should not lead to injury. It's good that the staff addressed some of the visual issues with the coliseum, but what about the physical issues of its use? Especially since I'm pretty sure we'd get in trouble for coding something to add bindings ourselves.
cTmY.png
SUPPORT.
SUPPORT.
CioCFC3.png
tRvB8Xn.png
bYt72YT.png
___Art + Social Media

___Avalon Isle Hatchery
_________________________xmwjuQa.png
boosting this up!
boosting this up!
2eZXnPr.png