Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "Sex" not "Gender"
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47
[quote name="Ithyldin" date="2014-05-07 18:30:06"]no support. Gender is a synonym of sex. Both terms are correct: "Gender is the range of physical, biological, mental and behavioral characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity.[1][2][3] Depending on the context, the term may refer to biological sex (i.e. the state of being male, female or intersex), sex-based social structures (including gender roles and other social roles), or gender identity.[1][2][3][4]"- wikipedia it CAN mean gender identity, but it has the other meanings as well, and had that long before gender study was even invented.[/quote] You realize, of course, that you literally Wiki'd "gender" and are citing a Wikipedia article that is, in turn, citing three articles, two of which are no longer accessible on the internet, and one of which is a small, unprofessional, un-sourced blurb written on a University health webpage, whereas the support for using "Sex" and not "Gender" to denote physical sex characteristics is coming from, in a single example, a properly cited scientific journal article discussed earlier in this thread, which states that "sex and gender are two distinct aspects of ... identity" and that "Sex is regarded as a product of nature, while gender is understood as a function of culture." Additionally, all of these resources are in some cases more than a decade outdated, and language and usage changes over time. For a more recent example of the correct use of "gender" versus "sex," take the Safe Zone Training programs that are taking place in Universities across the United States and are teaching, correctly, that gender, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation are different, distinct, and that gender does not denote physical sex characteristics. The correct, respectful, scientific, and modern usage of "gender" is not appropriate for what Flight Rising is trying to denote. Perhaps as well you would like to peruse the most recent Oxford Dictionary's definition of "Gender," instead of Wikipedia. It is the following, and I quote: "The state of being male or female ([i]typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones[/i])"
Ithyldin wrote on 2014-05-07 18:30:06:
no support.
Gender is a synonym of sex. Both terms are correct:

"Gender is the range of physical, biological, mental and behavioral characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity.[1][2][3] Depending on the context, the term may refer to biological sex (i.e. the state of being male, female or intersex), sex-based social structures (including gender roles and other social roles), or gender identity.[1][2][3][4]"- wikipedia

it CAN mean gender identity, but it has the other meanings as well, and had that long before gender study was even invented.

You realize, of course, that you literally Wiki'd "gender" and are citing a Wikipedia article that is, in turn, citing three articles, two of which are no longer accessible on the internet, and one of which is a small, unprofessional, un-sourced blurb written on a University health webpage, whereas the support for using "Sex" and not "Gender" to denote physical sex characteristics is coming from, in a single example, a properly cited scientific journal article discussed earlier in this thread, which states that "sex and gender are two distinct aspects of ... identity" and that "Sex is regarded as a product of nature, while gender is understood as a function of culture."

Additionally, all of these resources are in some cases more than a decade outdated, and language and usage changes over time. For a more recent example of the correct use of "gender" versus "sex," take the Safe Zone Training programs that are taking place in Universities across the United States and are teaching, correctly, that gender, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation are different, distinct, and that gender does not denote physical sex characteristics.

The correct, respectful, scientific, and modern usage of "gender" is not appropriate for what Flight Rising is trying to denote.

Perhaps as well you would like to peruse the most recent Oxford Dictionary's definition of "Gender," instead of Wikipedia. It is the following, and I quote: "The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)"
bO4RrTZ.jpg
-waves arms in support-
-waves arms in support-
[quote name="Daetur" date="2014-05-07 18:40:02"] The correct, respectful, scientific, and modern usage of "gender" is not appropriate for what Flight Rising is trying to denote. [/quote] debatable. the word is widely used to refer to the biological sex of humans and animals. (and also nouns) In fact, I very rarely, if ever, see the word "sex" used instead of gender. What you mean with "correct, scientific, respectful" is actually "what I consider politically correct". Where you live, the modern use of the word might refer to this orientation stuff rather than the biological gender, but it sure doesn't around here nor on most places where I encounter the word. so no, using gender instead of "sex" is not incorrect.
Daetur wrote on 2014-05-07 18:40:02:
The correct, respectful, scientific, and modern usage of "gender" is not appropriate for what Flight Rising is trying to denote.
debatable.
the word is widely used to refer to the biological sex of humans and animals.
(and also nouns)
In fact, I very rarely, if ever, see the word "sex" used instead of gender.

What you mean with "correct, scientific, respectful" is actually "what I consider politically correct".
Where you live, the modern use of the word might refer to this orientation stuff rather than the biological gender, but it sure doesn't around here nor on most places where I encounter the word.

so no, using gender instead of "sex" is not incorrect.
[quote name="Ithyldin" date="2014-05-07 18:56:18"] so no, using gender instead of "sex" is not incorrect.[/quote] As I have presented, I completely disagree, and have had a significant number of experiences to the contrary. Thank you for your input.
Ithyldin wrote on 2014-05-07 18:56:18:
so no, using gender instead of "sex" is not incorrect.

As I have presented, I completely disagree, and have had a significant number of experiences to the contrary. Thank you for your input.
bO4RrTZ.jpg
no.
no.
33955360_ee9nt9Y6Z9u7RpD.gif
Supporting for things that have already been stated.
Your sex determines your ability to reproduce, and what will be needed for you to genetically reproduce.
Your gender does not.

And for the record books, this isn't even being said in an LGTBA, ect manner.
It's a matter of definitions in terms.
Supporting for things that have already been stated.
Your sex determines your ability to reproduce, and what will be needed for you to genetically reproduce.
Your gender does not.

And for the record books, this isn't even being said in an LGTBA, ect manner.
It's a matter of definitions in terms.
fVzF7qc.png
I also agree.
I also agree.
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
I support this.
I support this.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -- Anais Nin
Still in support but just as an added note- I don't think that sex being a synonym for intercourse in certain contexts is a good or valid reason to not support this change. I've seen this argument in a lot of threads that make the gender to sex suggestion- that it will make people uncomfortable, that it's not appropriate, that there are people whose first language isn't English who will be confused, etc. etc.

As pointed out previously, this site is rated T for Teen, so I doubt there's going to be any little chiddlers around who haven't had a sex ed class or gotten The Talk yet. And the forum filters don't block the word "sex," probably because there is nothing inherently inappropriate with the word alone.

But more than that, this is a breeding site. It just seems a little ridiculous to me that anyone would oppose changing the 'gender' option to 'sex' on the grounds that the word sex, regardless of context and on a site that's sole purpose is literally to have dragons do the do and make pretty dragon babies for you, is apparently utterly scandalizing. < :1
Still in support but just as an added note- I don't think that sex being a synonym for intercourse in certain contexts is a good or valid reason to not support this change. I've seen this argument in a lot of threads that make the gender to sex suggestion- that it will make people uncomfortable, that it's not appropriate, that there are people whose first language isn't English who will be confused, etc. etc.

As pointed out previously, this site is rated T for Teen, so I doubt there's going to be any little chiddlers around who haven't had a sex ed class or gotten The Talk yet. And the forum filters don't block the word "sex," probably because there is nothing inherently inappropriate with the word alone.

But more than that, this is a breeding site. It just seems a little ridiculous to me that anyone would oppose changing the 'gender' option to 'sex' on the grounds that the word sex, regardless of context and on a site that's sole purpose is literally to have dragons do the do and make pretty dragon babies for you, is apparently utterly scandalizing. < :1
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
@MissAri Amen to that.
@MissAri Amen to that.
bO4RrTZ.jpg
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47