Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | 1x1 Mysterious Island Exploration
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
@Bellemere

(Haha RIP poor Spinner. What is his role on the exploration team?)

Kiani’s smile became a little less forced as Spinner approached. He wasn’t nervous, and he wasn’t making a big deal of it. That was good. She figured he’d get on well enough with the rest of them—judging by what she’d seen so far, if she had to guess at a potential saboteur it wasn’t him she’d pick. She’d done her research, of course, and some things were a relief: the mercenary was much younger than she’d thought, the researcher had mumbled and blushed when she’d greeted him, and the medic looked like he’d rather injure someone than heal them. It did a little to balance the long list of concerns she’d had about their competency.

She pushed her disdain away. They might have looked like a motley crew, but it wouldn’t do to underestimate the ground team. Their experience was enough that Spinner would have a task ahead of him in directing their investigations away from where certain factions didn’t want them to look. Kiani hoped he was up to the job.

She spoke without turning to look at him, her tone light, conversational. “Confident enough, but preparation is more of an asset than confidence. You’ve got the best of the best with you.” So be careful, was the implication.

Julius sat perched on the edge of his seat and watched the room as the meeting begun. He ran through the team’s medical files in his head. Mostly healthy, all of them, their records neat and clean in that way he often forgot that most dragons outside the Scarred Wasteland were. A few behavioural anomalies, but nothing serious. After years in a job where surgery was mostly guesswork and carried a high risk of infection for anyone attempting to touch some of the patients it would be almost relaxing to have to deal with scrapes and bruises and combat wounds again, but that wasn’t entirely why he was here. What few readings they’d gathered indicated the presence of strange magical anomalies and wildlife that was adjacent but not the same as anything seen on Sornieth.

As much as these magisters and professors didn’t like to look at or speak to him, that was why they needed him. The data readouts may as well have just printed great big red warning letters: weird, dangerous stuff ahead. Weird and dangerous was what he knew best.

A degree of relief flooded Lettie as she returned Kajuro’s smile and stood to meet him. “Honestly? It still feels a little like I’m dreaming. This whole thing is strange, and you know it’s strange when I’m saying that. We’ve got a good group here, though, and I’m excited to see what they dig up.” She cast a fond eye over the students laughing among themselves, and those they’d hired to assist; she could see the mercenary Aspen nearby, deep in thought, and spotted Lothair tinkering with something on the other side of the room. Everyone looked a bit nervous, sure, but to her the quiet buzz of chatter in the room was more excited than anything.

She turned back to Kajuro. “It’s a relief though, too. To have something else to focus on. Thanks,” she added softly. If it had been another of her colleagues in charge, she doubted she would be here at all. It was a run of good fortune she was determined not to waste—but there was little time to say anything else, because the Magister of Arcane had stepped up to the head of the table and started to make her speech. Lettie settled in to listen.
@Bellemere

(Haha RIP poor Spinner. What is his role on the exploration team?)

Kiani’s smile became a little less forced as Spinner approached. He wasn’t nervous, and he wasn’t making a big deal of it. That was good. She figured he’d get on well enough with the rest of them—judging by what she’d seen so far, if she had to guess at a potential saboteur it wasn’t him she’d pick. She’d done her research, of course, and some things were a relief: the mercenary was much younger than she’d thought, the researcher had mumbled and blushed when she’d greeted him, and the medic looked like he’d rather injure someone than heal them. It did a little to balance the long list of concerns she’d had about their competency.

She pushed her disdain away. They might have looked like a motley crew, but it wouldn’t do to underestimate the ground team. Their experience was enough that Spinner would have a task ahead of him in directing their investigations away from where certain factions didn’t want them to look. Kiani hoped he was up to the job.

She spoke without turning to look at him, her tone light, conversational. “Confident enough, but preparation is more of an asset than confidence. You’ve got the best of the best with you.” So be careful, was the implication.

Julius sat perched on the edge of his seat and watched the room as the meeting begun. He ran through the team’s medical files in his head. Mostly healthy, all of them, their records neat and clean in that way he often forgot that most dragons outside the Scarred Wasteland were. A few behavioural anomalies, but nothing serious. After years in a job where surgery was mostly guesswork and carried a high risk of infection for anyone attempting to touch some of the patients it would be almost relaxing to have to deal with scrapes and bruises and combat wounds again, but that wasn’t entirely why he was here. What few readings they’d gathered indicated the presence of strange magical anomalies and wildlife that was adjacent but not the same as anything seen on Sornieth.

As much as these magisters and professors didn’t like to look at or speak to him, that was why they needed him. The data readouts may as well have just printed great big red warning letters: weird, dangerous stuff ahead. Weird and dangerous was what he knew best.

A degree of relief flooded Lettie as she returned Kajuro’s smile and stood to meet him. “Honestly? It still feels a little like I’m dreaming. This whole thing is strange, and you know it’s strange when I’m saying that. We’ve got a good group here, though, and I’m excited to see what they dig up.” She cast a fond eye over the students laughing among themselves, and those they’d hired to assist; she could see the mercenary Aspen nearby, deep in thought, and spotted Lothair tinkering with something on the other side of the room. Everyone looked a bit nervous, sure, but to her the quiet buzz of chatter in the room was more excited than anything.

She turned back to Kajuro. “It’s a relief though, too. To have something else to focus on. Thanks,” she added softly. If it had been another of her colleagues in charge, she doubted she would be here at all. It was a run of good fortune she was determined not to waste—but there was little time to say anything else, because the Magister of Arcane had stepped up to the head of the table and started to make her speech. Lettie settled in to listen.
qesQFkT.gif
(Oops, well he's the saboteur but i forgot to give him a real job. Maybe an assistant to Julius?)

Spinner cocked his head slightly when she didn't quite give him the attention he was looking for. Where was a small blush at his smile and confident demeanor, not mention his handsome looks? Well alright, his smile flickered momentarily before her words hit his ears. "Ah very true." Spinner replied, although inwardly rolling his eyes. Confidence and experience is all he needed not to get caught, and on the rare occasion he was caught, well, he had a plan for that too. "I'm very glad for the efforts of the University. They have everything we need to communicate, and back ups. Well, it was nice to see you again," he added, giving her a smirk as he reached for her hand, slipping a hard object to her. This, of course was so them an only them could talk without anyone knowing but people in on the mission. He walked away casually, his face falling into a more neutral look as he scanned the room. Aspen? Eavesdropping on the two do gooder professors? She would be an easy one to slip past, he bet boldy, taking a seat and waiting for the official send off.

Aspen held back her smile at Lettie's words as she glanced over at Julius. He looked ready, and that's what she wanted to see. Her tail twitched with excitement at the unknown, her claws flexing just enough to let her really feel the floor. A real chance for her to show everything she was capable of and more. Her head titled up to listen to the Magister, although she hoped the speech wasn't long. God, how she hated speeches. If only they could leave now and start their adventure right away. Her body tensed at the thought, and she tried to contain her excitement.

Kanjuro chose a seat next to Lettie. "Me too. It's going to be something we'll be talking about until everyone's ears bleed," he chuckled softly, shaking his head. The room had a great energy, and fueled his confidence in this project. There would be danger, but they had done their research as well as possible. "Oh, don't thank me." Kanjuro gently corrected with a warm smile. He knew, but he didn't think he did anything more than anyone should've done. As far as he was concerned, she really hadn't deserved the harsh trials they gave her, and he wasn't one to be soft on professors who make such mistakes. The students had been less quality as of late than he and other professors were used to, and so that was what he attributed to that big situation. He looked over at the Magister and gave her a wide smile, wanting her to feel welcomed and listened to.
(Oops, well he's the saboteur but i forgot to give him a real job. Maybe an assistant to Julius?)

Spinner cocked his head slightly when she didn't quite give him the attention he was looking for. Where was a small blush at his smile and confident demeanor, not mention his handsome looks? Well alright, his smile flickered momentarily before her words hit his ears. "Ah very true." Spinner replied, although inwardly rolling his eyes. Confidence and experience is all he needed not to get caught, and on the rare occasion he was caught, well, he had a plan for that too. "I'm very glad for the efforts of the University. They have everything we need to communicate, and back ups. Well, it was nice to see you again," he added, giving her a smirk as he reached for her hand, slipping a hard object to her. This, of course was so them an only them could talk without anyone knowing but people in on the mission. He walked away casually, his face falling into a more neutral look as he scanned the room. Aspen? Eavesdropping on the two do gooder professors? She would be an easy one to slip past, he bet boldy, taking a seat and waiting for the official send off.

Aspen held back her smile at Lettie's words as she glanced over at Julius. He looked ready, and that's what she wanted to see. Her tail twitched with excitement at the unknown, her claws flexing just enough to let her really feel the floor. A real chance for her to show everything she was capable of and more. Her head titled up to listen to the Magister, although she hoped the speech wasn't long. God, how she hated speeches. If only they could leave now and start their adventure right away. Her body tensed at the thought, and she tried to contain her excitement.

Kanjuro chose a seat next to Lettie. "Me too. It's going to be something we'll be talking about until everyone's ears bleed," he chuckled softly, shaking his head. The room had a great energy, and fueled his confidence in this project. There would be danger, but they had done their research as well as possible. "Oh, don't thank me." Kanjuro gently corrected with a warm smile. He knew, but he didn't think he did anything more than anyone should've done. As far as he was concerned, she really hadn't deserved the harsh trials they gave her, and he wasn't one to be soft on professors who make such mistakes. The students had been less quality as of late than he and other professors were used to, and so that was what he attributed to that big situation. He looked over at the Magister and gave her a wide smile, wanting her to feel welcomed and listened to.
9g0BXbt.gif
( @Sinfony. I keep forgetting to tag you lol I'm sorry)
( @Sinfony. I keep forgetting to tag you lol I'm sorry)
9g0BXbt.gif
@Bellamere

(Oh that sounds good, Julius would hate it haha. And don’t worry I’ve subscribed to the thread so it’ll send me a notification, no need to ping! Also - God damn it Spinner lmao.)

Kiani slipped the communications device into the pocket of her dress and half-turned her attention to the head of the table, as a hush fell over the assembled crowd. Not that she had anything against him, from their brief interactions, but with any luck she and Spinner wouldn’t be hearing much from each other over the course of the mission. Communication would mean a change in orders, or a serious problem, and always brought with it the risk of discovery.

She felt herself relax. So far, so good—that was the awkward part dealt with, and now all she had to do was pretend to be as oblivious as Nayeli and Ren.

“Thank you all for joining me today,” the Magister said, and Lettie gave her a nervous smile as her eyes scanned the room, passing over her and Kajuro. “And for your cooperation and enthusiasm for this project on such short notice. Here at the Academy we spend every day venturing into the unknown, in a way, into the complexities of magic and science—but it’s not every day we find ourselves with a chance to do so quite this literally.” She paused for dramatic effect, and a ripple of polite laughter passed through the room. Someone behind Lettie groaned, and she glanced sideways at Kajuro and stifled her own laugh with a cough.

“There’s a lot which remains uncertain: a lot that we hope to uncover with the help of our talented students and volunteers, a lot that we hope to eventually be able to use to our advantage. I urge you all to see these latest developments in our home landscape not as a threat, but as a gift. An opportunity. A way forward for the Starfall Isles.”

After that the Magister stepped down to let others speak, and the meeting took on a less idealistic tone. Everyone was introduced yet again, theories were discussed and exaggerated and shot down, and specifics and procedures were ran through one final time. Lettie zoned out somewhere during an explanation of the communications array that would be carefully transported and reassembled at a hub on the island, daydreaming instead about what new patterns they might discover in the magical signatures she’d seen tantalising readings from.

It was these daydreams she was pulled from when she realised the meeting had ended, and those around her were standing and stretching wings and tails and tapping claws on desks. She stood and ruffled her wings, beckoning for the students who would be working closely with them to follow, and they set off.

Finally, they were out of that dreadful crowded room. Julius relished the feeling of the wind in his wings as the expedition team—along with a small entourage—made their way out onto the platform they would depart from. He adjusted the bags he carried. Lothair had volunteered to carry most of them, but there were certain things Julius would need with him at all times. Just because they weren’t on the island yet, didn’t mean they wouldn’t encounter anything unusual on the way over.

That excited him more than it scared him. He felt the anxiety that had pressed down on him these past few days lift slightly, dissipating into the bright morning air, and when he caught sight of Aspen nearby and their eyes met he gave her what he hoped was a friendly, professional nod.
@Bellamere

(Oh that sounds good, Julius would hate it haha. And don’t worry I’ve subscribed to the thread so it’ll send me a notification, no need to ping! Also - God damn it Spinner lmao.)

Kiani slipped the communications device into the pocket of her dress and half-turned her attention to the head of the table, as a hush fell over the assembled crowd. Not that she had anything against him, from their brief interactions, but with any luck she and Spinner wouldn’t be hearing much from each other over the course of the mission. Communication would mean a change in orders, or a serious problem, and always brought with it the risk of discovery.

She felt herself relax. So far, so good—that was the awkward part dealt with, and now all she had to do was pretend to be as oblivious as Nayeli and Ren.

“Thank you all for joining me today,” the Magister said, and Lettie gave her a nervous smile as her eyes scanned the room, passing over her and Kajuro. “And for your cooperation and enthusiasm for this project on such short notice. Here at the Academy we spend every day venturing into the unknown, in a way, into the complexities of magic and science—but it’s not every day we find ourselves with a chance to do so quite this literally.” She paused for dramatic effect, and a ripple of polite laughter passed through the room. Someone behind Lettie groaned, and she glanced sideways at Kajuro and stifled her own laugh with a cough.

“There’s a lot which remains uncertain: a lot that we hope to uncover with the help of our talented students and volunteers, a lot that we hope to eventually be able to use to our advantage. I urge you all to see these latest developments in our home landscape not as a threat, but as a gift. An opportunity. A way forward for the Starfall Isles.”

After that the Magister stepped down to let others speak, and the meeting took on a less idealistic tone. Everyone was introduced yet again, theories were discussed and exaggerated and shot down, and specifics and procedures were ran through one final time. Lettie zoned out somewhere during an explanation of the communications array that would be carefully transported and reassembled at a hub on the island, daydreaming instead about what new patterns they might discover in the magical signatures she’d seen tantalising readings from.

It was these daydreams she was pulled from when she realised the meeting had ended, and those around her were standing and stretching wings and tails and tapping claws on desks. She stood and ruffled her wings, beckoning for the students who would be working closely with them to follow, and they set off.

Finally, they were out of that dreadful crowded room. Julius relished the feeling of the wind in his wings as the expedition team—along with a small entourage—made their way out onto the platform they would depart from. He adjusted the bags he carried. Lothair had volunteered to carry most of them, but there were certain things Julius would need with him at all times. Just because they weren’t on the island yet, didn’t mean they wouldn’t encounter anything unusual on the way over.

That excited him more than it scared him. He felt the anxiety that had pressed down on him these past few days lift slightly, dissipating into the bright morning air, and when he caught sight of Aspen nearby and their eyes met he gave her what he hoped was a friendly, professional nod.
qesQFkT.gif
(Ahahaha poor Julius. Yeah Spinner sucks, but he's kind of fun to have be a jerk haha. Oh also I subscribed so you dont have to ping me either :) )

Kanjuro met Lettie's eyes, a twinkle in his eye. It was a nice speech, but unfortunately no one here really cared to appreciate it. After the speech ended, he spent the time going dragon to dragon to say his goodbyes and wish good luck. It was important to him they all got a smaller, more personal send off. These people of course wanted to go and were excited, but there was something about wishing everyone luck he felt he had to do. After a while he suddenly noticed Lettie calling the students over. Oh, he said his quick goodbye to Aspen with a sweet smile, and turned to go with Lettie. The time flew by, and he couldn't wait to hear that they had landed safely.

Aspen was one of the first out of the room, extending her wings slightly so that she could feel the rush of wind underneath them. Hopefully the flight would be quick, so they had all day to explore the island. She looked over the people they were leaving behind, giving them nods when her eyes met with Julius's. She gave him a grin as he nodded to her before turning her eyes back to the ledge before her. In a voice that could carry, Aspen called out to the team," Alright! Let's go everyone, we're losing daylight!" She said, leaping forward and extending her wings all the way. Her mirror dragon body was lithe and agile, muscles rippling at the leap. Up until last night, she had had herself on strict training to be prepared for the mission. Aspen began to head towards the island, hearing what she assumed was Spinner take off quickly behind her. Lifting her nose slightly to the air, she thought she may already be able to smell some sort of flora that lived on the island, but she shook her head and told herself it was just an overactive imagination.

Spinner said goodbye to everyone before slowly making his way out of the meeting room. He went over closer to Julius, looking up at that strange island. It was fun knowing so much that the professional next to him didn't. He just hoped he would have enough sway to keep them away from anything...unsightly. Suddenly he heard Aspen's call to them and smirked, ever so impatient she was. His wing nudged Julius on purpose as Spinner took to the air quite quickly for a guardian. Spinner had been looking forward to being this fae's assistant. This provided a great opportunity for him to mess up samples, literally push him in the right direction, and in general ruin things. Of course, he didn't get creative license with this mission unfortunately, which bummed him out. The only allowance to kill any on the team was in defense, or if they figured it out of course.

(Ahahaha poor Julius. Yeah Spinner sucks, but he's kind of fun to have be a jerk haha. Oh also I subscribed so you dont have to ping me either :) )

Kanjuro met Lettie's eyes, a twinkle in his eye. It was a nice speech, but unfortunately no one here really cared to appreciate it. After the speech ended, he spent the time going dragon to dragon to say his goodbyes and wish good luck. It was important to him they all got a smaller, more personal send off. These people of course wanted to go and were excited, but there was something about wishing everyone luck he felt he had to do. After a while he suddenly noticed Lettie calling the students over. Oh, he said his quick goodbye to Aspen with a sweet smile, and turned to go with Lettie. The time flew by, and he couldn't wait to hear that they had landed safely.

Aspen was one of the first out of the room, extending her wings slightly so that she could feel the rush of wind underneath them. Hopefully the flight would be quick, so they had all day to explore the island. She looked over the people they were leaving behind, giving them nods when her eyes met with Julius's. She gave him a grin as he nodded to her before turning her eyes back to the ledge before her. In a voice that could carry, Aspen called out to the team," Alright! Let's go everyone, we're losing daylight!" She said, leaping forward and extending her wings all the way. Her mirror dragon body was lithe and agile, muscles rippling at the leap. Up until last night, she had had herself on strict training to be prepared for the mission. Aspen began to head towards the island, hearing what she assumed was Spinner take off quickly behind her. Lifting her nose slightly to the air, she thought she may already be able to smell some sort of flora that lived on the island, but she shook her head and told herself it was just an overactive imagination.

Spinner said goodbye to everyone before slowly making his way out of the meeting room. He went over closer to Julius, looking up at that strange island. It was fun knowing so much that the professional next to him didn't. He just hoped he would have enough sway to keep them away from anything...unsightly. Suddenly he heard Aspen's call to them and smirked, ever so impatient she was. His wing nudged Julius on purpose as Spinner took to the air quite quickly for a guardian. Spinner had been looking forward to being this fae's assistant. This provided a great opportunity for him to mess up samples, literally push him in the right direction, and in general ruin things. Of course, he didn't get creative license with this mission unfortunately, which bummed him out. The only allowance to kill any on the team was in defense, or if they figured it out of course.

9g0BXbt.gif
Lettie watched the exploration team go until even the larger dragons among them were just specks on the horizon, lost against the strange backdrop of the island. It was a world in microcosm; lakes and forests and plains, even distant mountains. Who knew what they would find waiting for them? A shiver that had little to do with the temperature passed through her.

Back inside, there was an air of quiet industriousness as the team that would be remaining in the Academy to monitor things from this end settled in. It would be hours until the island was reached, and after that the equipment would need to be set up, but by that evening she fully expected for them to have the first set of readings, and to have made communication. After that, the real work would begin.

As the hours ticked by, Kiani wondered if she should be feeling something other than boredom. Excitement, maybe, like Nayeli and the professors—except this wasn’t really her mission. It was an inconvenience, an error to be corrected, something to be waited out until her true superiors figured out how to rectify the mistake that had caused the island to manifest in the first place. Anxiety didn’t fit either. She trusted Spinner knew enough to keep his mouth shut and do his job, and nobody would know her part in any of this unless they bodily searched her, or she got so tired of having nothing to do that she confessed.

Boredom it was, then. She reached for her coffee, and with a painted talon resumed flicking through the environmental sciences book on her desk.

This was the same air that passed over the rest of the Starfall Isles, and though the concentration of magical energies made the weather stranger than in most places, Julius imagined there was something especially different about the current that buoyed them as they circled closer to the location that had been selected for their landing. It made him giddy with excitement.

A clearing within walking distance of several potential sites of interest, ringed with forests and on flat terrain, it was also close to a water source and well-shielded from the elements. It was here they would set up the communications array, and anything else that needed a more permanent home. As they got closer Julius scanned the space for the best location for his infirmary tent. He had it planned out in his mind: While the exploration team would no doubt be getting ahead of themselves, running off to do their own tasks, he’d set up a temporary workstation and then get around to testing samples from the water. They’d brought supplies with them, but if the water wasn’t safe to drink and there was nothing edible here, he needed to know before dragons started showing up sick.

An uncooperative wind had assailed them the entire way, making flying tiresome, and it was with relief that Julius alighted on a branch at the edge of the clearing and folded his aching wings. He watched from above as the others arrived—best to wait it out rather than risk getting trampled in the fray. If they injured themselves now they could deal with it.
Lettie watched the exploration team go until even the larger dragons among them were just specks on the horizon, lost against the strange backdrop of the island. It was a world in microcosm; lakes and forests and plains, even distant mountains. Who knew what they would find waiting for them? A shiver that had little to do with the temperature passed through her.

Back inside, there was an air of quiet industriousness as the team that would be remaining in the Academy to monitor things from this end settled in. It would be hours until the island was reached, and after that the equipment would need to be set up, but by that evening she fully expected for them to have the first set of readings, and to have made communication. After that, the real work would begin.

As the hours ticked by, Kiani wondered if she should be feeling something other than boredom. Excitement, maybe, like Nayeli and the professors—except this wasn’t really her mission. It was an inconvenience, an error to be corrected, something to be waited out until her true superiors figured out how to rectify the mistake that had caused the island to manifest in the first place. Anxiety didn’t fit either. She trusted Spinner knew enough to keep his mouth shut and do his job, and nobody would know her part in any of this unless they bodily searched her, or she got so tired of having nothing to do that she confessed.

Boredom it was, then. She reached for her coffee, and with a painted talon resumed flicking through the environmental sciences book on her desk.

This was the same air that passed over the rest of the Starfall Isles, and though the concentration of magical energies made the weather stranger than in most places, Julius imagined there was something especially different about the current that buoyed them as they circled closer to the location that had been selected for their landing. It made him giddy with excitement.

A clearing within walking distance of several potential sites of interest, ringed with forests and on flat terrain, it was also close to a water source and well-shielded from the elements. It was here they would set up the communications array, and anything else that needed a more permanent home. As they got closer Julius scanned the space for the best location for his infirmary tent. He had it planned out in his mind: While the exploration team would no doubt be getting ahead of themselves, running off to do their own tasks, he’d set up a temporary workstation and then get around to testing samples from the water. They’d brought supplies with them, but if the water wasn’t safe to drink and there was nothing edible here, he needed to know before dragons started showing up sick.

An uncooperative wind had assailed them the entire way, making flying tiresome, and it was with relief that Julius alighted on a branch at the edge of the clearing and folded his aching wings. He watched from above as the others arrived—best to wait it out rather than risk getting trampled in the fray. If they injured themselves now they could deal with it.
qesQFkT.gif
Aspen was one of the first on the ground, surveying the area. There was one major downfall of being in a clearing, being watched from the forest. She took a deep breath, digging her claws into the soil to really feel the island. Although you could recognize the forest and terrain here, it still felt foreign. Her slightly fatigued wings tucked against her sides tightly as her tail flicked. Deep purple eyes meticulously scanned their soon to be camp as her nostrils flared. Aspen went to the perimeter, using all her senses to make sure this would be as safe as she could guarantee. Sensing no danger after a while of circling, false alarms, and general paranoia, the mercenary decided to seek out Julius. Having a medic would probably prove priceless, as it usually did, and she wanted to speak with him. Her head lifted when she spotted him, and glided over to accomplish a conversation with the dragon that didn't seem particularly interested in anyone.

Spinner had lazily landed at the campsite, tired from the long flight. He looked around for a few moments, just trying to stay out of the way. After a moment of thought, Spinner set up his tent and a few things he had brought with him inside. Of course, the secret device he would be using would be expertly hidden on his person. No one would be body searching him, that was a given. Noticing Aspen diligently examining the lush tree area and border of the camp made him smile. Stupid, nothing dangerous was here right now if his bosses were telling the truth. After setting the tent up, his eyes wanded to Julius. The guy he would be "assisting". Like that nut would let Spinner touch anything important knowingly. He would just have to use a little more sneaky tactics to fudge results.

Kanjuro had watched them go, nodding his head a little to assure himself they would be alright. He took a deep breath, looking over at Lettie for a moment. Between the two of them, he was sure they could handle advising from down here. Walking inside, he decided to set up his own little campout. Complete with notebooks, coffee, all sorts of academic books, and a small salami snack, he felt good waiting here until communications could tell them that the expedition team had set up camp and had not turned into green lizards. Taking a seat, he looked over at Lettie with slightly tired eyes. "Care to join me in waiting for new?" Kanjuro asked, nodding at his salami snack in offering.
Aspen was one of the first on the ground, surveying the area. There was one major downfall of being in a clearing, being watched from the forest. She took a deep breath, digging her claws into the soil to really feel the island. Although you could recognize the forest and terrain here, it still felt foreign. Her slightly fatigued wings tucked against her sides tightly as her tail flicked. Deep purple eyes meticulously scanned their soon to be camp as her nostrils flared. Aspen went to the perimeter, using all her senses to make sure this would be as safe as she could guarantee. Sensing no danger after a while of circling, false alarms, and general paranoia, the mercenary decided to seek out Julius. Having a medic would probably prove priceless, as it usually did, and she wanted to speak with him. Her head lifted when she spotted him, and glided over to accomplish a conversation with the dragon that didn't seem particularly interested in anyone.

Spinner had lazily landed at the campsite, tired from the long flight. He looked around for a few moments, just trying to stay out of the way. After a moment of thought, Spinner set up his tent and a few things he had brought with him inside. Of course, the secret device he would be using would be expertly hidden on his person. No one would be body searching him, that was a given. Noticing Aspen diligently examining the lush tree area and border of the camp made him smile. Stupid, nothing dangerous was here right now if his bosses were telling the truth. After setting the tent up, his eyes wanded to Julius. The guy he would be "assisting". Like that nut would let Spinner touch anything important knowingly. He would just have to use a little more sneaky tactics to fudge results.

Kanjuro had watched them go, nodding his head a little to assure himself they would be alright. He took a deep breath, looking over at Lettie for a moment. Between the two of them, he was sure they could handle advising from down here. Walking inside, he decided to set up his own little campout. Complete with notebooks, coffee, all sorts of academic books, and a small salami snack, he felt good waiting here until communications could tell them that the expedition team had set up camp and had not turned into green lizards. Taking a seat, he looked over at Lettie with slightly tired eyes. "Care to join me in waiting for new?" Kanjuro asked, nodding at his salami snack in offering.
9g0BXbt.gif
Things calmed down, after a while. Julius watched as the communications array was set up and the others got comfortable with the area. He should be doing the same, he knew, only he’d found this moment—where nothing was yet expected of him, and nobody was injured or ill, and the strange, soft breeze rustled the leaves of the tree he sat in—and he wanted to make the most of it.

Movement caught his attention. Aspen. That was his moment over and done with, then, but after the morning’s events and in this place of all places, he couldn’t quite bring himself to be irritated at her approach. He would have to get used to working in a team. A team, he reminded himself, not just you ordering people around. They were supposed to be equals. He knew himself to be as ill-suited for her job as she was for his.

She was a curious thing, besides—a lone Mirror, a mercenary. Maybe that was the way things were done out here, but in the scarred wasteland the only time he’d seen a Mirror with no pack they’d been abandoned or betrayed or worse—yet here she was, apparently fine and happy with present company. It would be rude to ask, he supposed. Not that being rude had ever stopped Julius asking questions before, but he’d be an idiot to make anyone tasked with protecting him angry. He did credit himself with some degree of self-preservation.

“Good afternoon,” he said instead as she alighted beside him. “Anything noteworthy yet?”

“Someone came prepared,” Lettie said with a laugh. “I’d love to.”

It was almost like being a student again, Lettie mused as she sat and ate with Kanjuro as they waited. Almost. If she were a student there would be more than tea in her cup, despite the early hour.

She was in a good enough mood without it, anyway. They knew as little as hatchlings—all of them in this room, teachers and students alike. It was one of the parts Lettie loved most about her job, about being here—in the Isles rather than sequestered away studying the mysteries of the Hewn City, or indeed anywhere else, because though there were more prestigious universities none of them had what the Academy did. They had the Strand, they had the Arcanist himself at Focal Point. They had an ever changing landscape, shaped by magic itself.

She’d been daydreaming again. “If you could find anything, out on that island. Anything you wanted. What would it be? I’ve been thinking about ley-lines and undiscovered elements, but maybe the key is in those plants. Cures, maybe, or interesting properties, magical enhancements…” she rambled on, getting ahead of herself.

When first contact was made, Kiani was sitting at the control panel. Ren was asleep on the desk beside her, and they’d been waiting so long that not even the professors cared to tell him to wake up and pay attention—there’d been noting to pay attention to for hours.

She froze. Despite it all she froze, gripped with a strange mixture of anticipation and excitement, and she grabbed Ren’s leg and shook him awake, forcing him to look.

“Hey!” he called, already coiling through the air in excitement, sending an avalanche of papers to the floor. “Everyone come here—they’ve done it!”

(I feel like all my characters are obsessed with beverages...maybe I too am obsessed with beverages)
Things calmed down, after a while. Julius watched as the communications array was set up and the others got comfortable with the area. He should be doing the same, he knew, only he’d found this moment—where nothing was yet expected of him, and nobody was injured or ill, and the strange, soft breeze rustled the leaves of the tree he sat in—and he wanted to make the most of it.

Movement caught his attention. Aspen. That was his moment over and done with, then, but after the morning’s events and in this place of all places, he couldn’t quite bring himself to be irritated at her approach. He would have to get used to working in a team. A team, he reminded himself, not just you ordering people around. They were supposed to be equals. He knew himself to be as ill-suited for her job as she was for his.

She was a curious thing, besides—a lone Mirror, a mercenary. Maybe that was the way things were done out here, but in the scarred wasteland the only time he’d seen a Mirror with no pack they’d been abandoned or betrayed or worse—yet here she was, apparently fine and happy with present company. It would be rude to ask, he supposed. Not that being rude had ever stopped Julius asking questions before, but he’d be an idiot to make anyone tasked with protecting him angry. He did credit himself with some degree of self-preservation.

“Good afternoon,” he said instead as she alighted beside him. “Anything noteworthy yet?”

“Someone came prepared,” Lettie said with a laugh. “I’d love to.”

It was almost like being a student again, Lettie mused as she sat and ate with Kanjuro as they waited. Almost. If she were a student there would be more than tea in her cup, despite the early hour.

She was in a good enough mood without it, anyway. They knew as little as hatchlings—all of them in this room, teachers and students alike. It was one of the parts Lettie loved most about her job, about being here—in the Isles rather than sequestered away studying the mysteries of the Hewn City, or indeed anywhere else, because though there were more prestigious universities none of them had what the Academy did. They had the Strand, they had the Arcanist himself at Focal Point. They had an ever changing landscape, shaped by magic itself.

She’d been daydreaming again. “If you could find anything, out on that island. Anything you wanted. What would it be? I’ve been thinking about ley-lines and undiscovered elements, but maybe the key is in those plants. Cures, maybe, or interesting properties, magical enhancements…” she rambled on, getting ahead of herself.

When first contact was made, Kiani was sitting at the control panel. Ren was asleep on the desk beside her, and they’d been waiting so long that not even the professors cared to tell him to wake up and pay attention—there’d been noting to pay attention to for hours.

She froze. Despite it all she froze, gripped with a strange mixture of anticipation and excitement, and she grabbed Ren’s leg and shook him awake, forcing him to look.

“Hey!” he called, already coiling through the air in excitement, sending an avalanche of papers to the floor. “Everyone come here—they’ve done it!”

(I feel like all my characters are obsessed with beverages...maybe I too am obsessed with beverages)
qesQFkT.gif
Aspen looked at the unique fae, wondering if he had a hard time with people in parts because of his looks. From what she had seen, he seemed pretty respected by the group so far. As soon as she had landed softly next to him, she heard his pleasantry. Aspen wasn't used to speaking so formally, and wondered if she should try to copy him or talk like she usually does.

He was quite an amusing guy, and was sure if they got to know each other they would be good friends. For now though, the mission was the most important thing on her mind.

Smiling at him, she tilted her head just a little. "Hi, yes. I mean, not quite that important. You feel the difference between our land and this, right? Everything is so green and fresh. I'm sure there are beasts here. I think we should have someone up all night watching the camp on shifts, honestly. I will be talking to Lathair about this as well, but I wanted you to know. The first night is not usually the most dangerous, but we don't know this place, so risks aren't a good move." She talked quickly, looking into his eyes as she spoke with a confident tone. Then, her swiveled slightly to the left, finding Lathair which would be her next guy to speak to. Turning back to Julius, she awaited his thoughts.

Kanjuro smiled, glad to have the company. Although he thought, he should have brought more snacks to the table. He was lost in thought, more concerned now than excited. Should they have communicated by now? Checking the time, his tail twitched a little anxiously. Looking around the well lit room, no one seemed to look very concerned luckily. It was all in his head.

Lettie's words brought him out of his own mind. Kanjuro smiled at the possibilities, interrupting her a little when he got excited. "The plants!" he exclaimed, "There's just got to be cures in them," Kanjuro nodded excitedly, he had hoped they would be so helpful that maybe this old dragon himself could go up.

Suddenly the students were shouting. Kanjuro jumped up with impressive for his age, running to the communications bay. He saw the transmission and cheered, clapping a large paw on Ren's shoulder. "Right on time," he chuckled, although there was no specific time they had agreed on.
Aspen looked at the unique fae, wondering if he had a hard time with people in parts because of his looks. From what she had seen, he seemed pretty respected by the group so far. As soon as she had landed softly next to him, she heard his pleasantry. Aspen wasn't used to speaking so formally, and wondered if she should try to copy him or talk like she usually does.

He was quite an amusing guy, and was sure if they got to know each other they would be good friends. For now though, the mission was the most important thing on her mind.

Smiling at him, she tilted her head just a little. "Hi, yes. I mean, not quite that important. You feel the difference between our land and this, right? Everything is so green and fresh. I'm sure there are beasts here. I think we should have someone up all night watching the camp on shifts, honestly. I will be talking to Lathair about this as well, but I wanted you to know. The first night is not usually the most dangerous, but we don't know this place, so risks aren't a good move." She talked quickly, looking into his eyes as she spoke with a confident tone. Then, her swiveled slightly to the left, finding Lathair which would be her next guy to speak to. Turning back to Julius, she awaited his thoughts.

Kanjuro smiled, glad to have the company. Although he thought, he should have brought more snacks to the table. He was lost in thought, more concerned now than excited. Should they have communicated by now? Checking the time, his tail twitched a little anxiously. Looking around the well lit room, no one seemed to look very concerned luckily. It was all in his head.

Lettie's words brought him out of his own mind. Kanjuro smiled at the possibilities, interrupting her a little when he got excited. "The plants!" he exclaimed, "There's just got to be cures in them," Kanjuro nodded excitedly, he had hoped they would be so helpful that maybe this old dragon himself could go up.

Suddenly the students were shouting. Kanjuro jumped up with impressive for his age, running to the communications bay. He saw the transmission and cheered, clapping a large paw on Ren's shoulder. "Right on time," he chuckled, although there was no specific time they had agreed on.
9g0BXbt.gif
Julius considered the observation. “Yes. New is the word for it. Change is a constant—take viral mutation, or evolution—but entirely new is something rare. Everything has to come from something. So: where, or what, did this place come from?” He spoke in a rapid, low voice, the careful movement of his crest indicating his enthusiasm. “You’re right though. There will no doubt be wildlife. Whether it’s aggressive or merely curious I suppose we’ll find out soon enough.”

In the long pause that followed, Julius had to stop himself twitching. “You’ll have to excuse me. There’s enough space now for the infirmary tent.”

Awkward, unused to sustained smalltalk—especially with social dragons, who insisted on doing things like staring at his face and trying to be accommodating, both of which he was very aware she was doing right now—Julius mumbled something about being available for first watch and headed for his still-unpacked supplies.

Aspen’s caution had eased some of his misgivings, though. Tonight they would rest, and get a feel for the place, and then tomorrow they’d set off in search of answers, or at least more interesting questions. Locating Spinner, he called out for assistance in setting up the tent: a far easier task for an overenthusiastic Guardian than a Fae who had more important things to be getting on with. The water samples weren’t going to test themselves.

Lettie’s eyes gleamed with excitement. They were getting readings, she could see: meteorological data already spilling from the needles, the spectrometers coming to life shortly after, and there—communication. Ren tapped the console to answer and a voice crackled through.

“Hello? Ah, is this working?” Elian sounded unsure of himself. There was a loud, fuzzy noise, and when he spoke again his voice was distant. “Damn thing’s not working. Look, can’t somebody else do it? You’re the communications expert.”

“Get your arm off it,” said another voice, deep and gravelly. Lettie laughed, delight outweighing any annoyance she might otherwise have felt.

“We can hear you,” Kiani said, in a drawl that effected disdain for her fellow student. “What’s the report? Did everyone make it over okay?”

“Kiani? Oh. Hello. Ah, the report.” There was a pause, rustling, muffled voices. “Nothing to report. That is—I mean to say—I’m fine. Everyone’s fine. We’re just getting things set up. How are you? Are you receiving data?”

Lettie leaned forward and spoke into the device. “We are, and it’s beautiful data indeed. We’ll relay anything interesting to you tomorrow once we’ve analysed the initial findings.” After that she stood back to let some of the others speak.
Julius considered the observation. “Yes. New is the word for it. Change is a constant—take viral mutation, or evolution—but entirely new is something rare. Everything has to come from something. So: where, or what, did this place come from?” He spoke in a rapid, low voice, the careful movement of his crest indicating his enthusiasm. “You’re right though. There will no doubt be wildlife. Whether it’s aggressive or merely curious I suppose we’ll find out soon enough.”

In the long pause that followed, Julius had to stop himself twitching. “You’ll have to excuse me. There’s enough space now for the infirmary tent.”

Awkward, unused to sustained smalltalk—especially with social dragons, who insisted on doing things like staring at his face and trying to be accommodating, both of which he was very aware she was doing right now—Julius mumbled something about being available for first watch and headed for his still-unpacked supplies.

Aspen’s caution had eased some of his misgivings, though. Tonight they would rest, and get a feel for the place, and then tomorrow they’d set off in search of answers, or at least more interesting questions. Locating Spinner, he called out for assistance in setting up the tent: a far easier task for an overenthusiastic Guardian than a Fae who had more important things to be getting on with. The water samples weren’t going to test themselves.

Lettie’s eyes gleamed with excitement. They were getting readings, she could see: meteorological data already spilling from the needles, the spectrometers coming to life shortly after, and there—communication. Ren tapped the console to answer and a voice crackled through.

“Hello? Ah, is this working?” Elian sounded unsure of himself. There was a loud, fuzzy noise, and when he spoke again his voice was distant. “Damn thing’s not working. Look, can’t somebody else do it? You’re the communications expert.”

“Get your arm off it,” said another voice, deep and gravelly. Lettie laughed, delight outweighing any annoyance she might otherwise have felt.

“We can hear you,” Kiani said, in a drawl that effected disdain for her fellow student. “What’s the report? Did everyone make it over okay?”

“Kiani? Oh. Hello. Ah, the report.” There was a pause, rustling, muffled voices. “Nothing to report. That is—I mean to say—I’m fine. Everyone’s fine. We’re just getting things set up. How are you? Are you receiving data?”

Lettie leaned forward and spoke into the device. “We are, and it’s beautiful data indeed. We’ll relay anything interesting to you tomorrow once we’ve analysed the initial findings.” After that she stood back to let some of the others speak.
qesQFkT.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12