Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Salted Earth (In-Character Play)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@f6e

The stone of the statue’s base is cold to the touch, the chill of night still on it. A bold brass plaque adorns each side, and Zaydin reads them in the shadows of the warring gods:

“We lost the day at Issin See – Our friends, they march no more – We carry back their coffins, now – Where once we marched to war”

Beneath each line of a poem is a date, one after the other – 6.1.10793, 6.2.10793, 6.3.10793, 6.4.10793 – and beneath each date, a list of names. Dozens and dozens of them, carved into the metal… In some places, the tarnish has been worn off the metal until it shines like gold, as if from fingers running over the metal.

A bouquet of once-white flowers rests atop the statue’s base, almost beneath the foot of the stamping Kirin. They are withered and brown.

Pyre watches Laakiim for a little bit as the bartender goes over to serve Atropos. When she hops up to the bar, Laakiim looms over her and huffs, “Shoo.”

With a frightened yelp, Pyre flees out the door to Zaydin’s side. She whimpers in fright, hackles up, head ducked low. It takes a few minutes for her to calm, and she seems hesitant to return to the bar, although she will obey Zaydin if he does.

@RoseyVaporeon

Atropos settles at the bar and squawks out his order. Laakiim is brisk about getting it, sliding down a bowl of crisp bread toasties as well. The ale is vaguely fruity, probably a northern brew of some kind, and very dry, with a thick head of pale foam. She shoos the dog – you don’t remember hearing it’s name – away from the counter, and it fair bolts from the tavern, chasing after it’s master.

“So, you’re just passing through, I assume?” Laakiim asks the hooded figure. “Lots of good spots for your type in the city.”

She taps the side of her nose, as if indicating the raven’s beak.

“There’s a couple of places popular with beastmen around these parts.”

@Forelle

Seven reaches the bakery without issue, the streets still empty enough that he can move without difficulty through the city. Reaching the docks again, he can see that things are still a little crowded – a woman in charcoal-and-green robes, the city’s colors, is keeping people away from the Myrqab’s Daughter, but two other boats have docked and are offloading passengers and cargo.

The bakery has several patrons waiting for their bread, and a few tables scattered around by the windows. A group of five or six guards, and another mage, are sitting there, armor glinting in the sunlight through the windows, and at the head of the table, Lord Liir is entertaining them with some kind of story as they dig into fresh, slightly steaming loaves of bread slathered in butter, honey, cheese and jam. The attitude amongst the men seems to be jovial, and they seem in good humor as Seven waits to be served – one of the men slaps Liir on the shoulder as he finishes his tale, and the whole group breaks into laughter.

Seven reaches the counter seemingly without attracting the notice of the group, and, breakfast in hand, there are several places he might sit at the bakery: on the narrow ledge by the other window, where he’d be out of sight of the guardsmen, outside on the curb, where there’s a small bench, or at one of the tables occupied by the guards – there are several seats free, with no indication of anyone sitting in them.

@Mistwing608

The tray on the table is well-picked – only a rind of cheese and the heel of a loaf of bread are left. Foam is fresh, dripping down the inside of the glass to pool at the bottom. Eleneth take her seat, pulling out a second chair, and her foot knocks against something. In the distraction as Zaydin’s wolf bolts out of the tavern, Eleneth manages to scoop it into her lap unnoticed.

It’s a letter, slightly thick, with what feels like a few sheets of parchment inside. A ribbon is wrapped around the main body of the letter, with a thin wax seal holding it, and the envelope, closed.
@f6e

The stone of the statue’s base is cold to the touch, the chill of night still on it. A bold brass plaque adorns each side, and Zaydin reads them in the shadows of the warring gods:

“We lost the day at Issin See – Our friends, they march no more – We carry back their coffins, now – Where once we marched to war”

Beneath each line of a poem is a date, one after the other – 6.1.10793, 6.2.10793, 6.3.10793, 6.4.10793 – and beneath each date, a list of names. Dozens and dozens of them, carved into the metal… In some places, the tarnish has been worn off the metal until it shines like gold, as if from fingers running over the metal.

A bouquet of once-white flowers rests atop the statue’s base, almost beneath the foot of the stamping Kirin. They are withered and brown.

Pyre watches Laakiim for a little bit as the bartender goes over to serve Atropos. When she hops up to the bar, Laakiim looms over her and huffs, “Shoo.”

With a frightened yelp, Pyre flees out the door to Zaydin’s side. She whimpers in fright, hackles up, head ducked low. It takes a few minutes for her to calm, and she seems hesitant to return to the bar, although she will obey Zaydin if he does.

@RoseyVaporeon

Atropos settles at the bar and squawks out his order. Laakiim is brisk about getting it, sliding down a bowl of crisp bread toasties as well. The ale is vaguely fruity, probably a northern brew of some kind, and very dry, with a thick head of pale foam. She shoos the dog – you don’t remember hearing it’s name – away from the counter, and it fair bolts from the tavern, chasing after it’s master.

“So, you’re just passing through, I assume?” Laakiim asks the hooded figure. “Lots of good spots for your type in the city.”

She taps the side of her nose, as if indicating the raven’s beak.

“There’s a couple of places popular with beastmen around these parts.”

@Forelle

Seven reaches the bakery without issue, the streets still empty enough that he can move without difficulty through the city. Reaching the docks again, he can see that things are still a little crowded – a woman in charcoal-and-green robes, the city’s colors, is keeping people away from the Myrqab’s Daughter, but two other boats have docked and are offloading passengers and cargo.

The bakery has several patrons waiting for their bread, and a few tables scattered around by the windows. A group of five or six guards, and another mage, are sitting there, armor glinting in the sunlight through the windows, and at the head of the table, Lord Liir is entertaining them with some kind of story as they dig into fresh, slightly steaming loaves of bread slathered in butter, honey, cheese and jam. The attitude amongst the men seems to be jovial, and they seem in good humor as Seven waits to be served – one of the men slaps Liir on the shoulder as he finishes his tale, and the whole group breaks into laughter.

Seven reaches the counter seemingly without attracting the notice of the group, and, breakfast in hand, there are several places he might sit at the bakery: on the narrow ledge by the other window, where he’d be out of sight of the guardsmen, outside on the curb, where there’s a small bench, or at one of the tables occupied by the guards – there are several seats free, with no indication of anyone sitting in them.

@Mistwing608

The tray on the table is well-picked – only a rind of cheese and the heel of a loaf of bread are left. Foam is fresh, dripping down the inside of the glass to pool at the bottom. Eleneth take her seat, pulling out a second chair, and her foot knocks against something. In the distraction as Zaydin’s wolf bolts out of the tavern, Eleneth manages to scoop it into her lap unnoticed.

It’s a letter, slightly thick, with what feels like a few sheets of parchment inside. A ribbon is wrapped around the main body of the letter, with a thin wax seal holding it, and the envelope, closed.
bogsneak_by_aard_rinn-daifo9q.png
"ah... yes.. passing though..." he takes his drink and gives it a sip "it is what i do for me job..."

After the sip he looks around quickly before leaning up to the barmaid.

"i dont suppose... you know where i could find some information, yes?" Atropos said in a hushed tone "im looking for some particular information on a certain object and need to find it quickly... for me and my mates of course..."
"ah... yes.. passing though..." he takes his drink and gives it a sip "it is what i do for me job..."

After the sip he looks around quickly before leaning up to the barmaid.

"i dont suppose... you know where i could find some information, yes?" Atropos said in a hushed tone "im looking for some particular information on a certain object and need to find it quickly... for me and my mates of course..."
eA9odUz.png "lights on!"
@AardRinn

Eleneth isn't sure what to make of the letter, she does want to open it though. She stops playing with the ball of light and casts "Detect Magic" followed by "Detect Poison" to be on the... somewhat... safe side, before opening the envelope.
@AardRinn

Eleneth isn't sure what to make of the letter, she does want to open it though. She stops playing with the ball of light and casts "Detect Magic" followed by "Detect Poison" to be on the... somewhat... safe side, before opening the envelope.
A game I play while waiting
Pinging me? Don't forget the numbers!
Seven stood for a little while longer than he had to just to watch the scene that unfolded before him. Liir sure gave the impression of an amiable man. At least his subordinates seemed to love him and he sure could see why. A friendly man that gave an entertainer for his troops? Interesting, that was for sure. Still, unless he got to know him up and personal, Seven stuck to his assumption that every coin had two sides and that what he saw of Liir here shouldn't be entirely trusted.
Acting on the assumption that the guards where as affable as their leader made them seem to be, he headed towards one of the tables occupied by guards, placing a hand on an empty seat.
"Do you mind if I sit here?" he asked. There was no objection so he sat down. Seven appeared to be busy eating and lost in his thoughts but actually he was actively listening. It was a good chance to gather some information passively while also filling up his reserves.
Seven stood for a little while longer than he had to just to watch the scene that unfolded before him. Liir sure gave the impression of an amiable man. At least his subordinates seemed to love him and he sure could see why. A friendly man that gave an entertainer for his troops? Interesting, that was for sure. Still, unless he got to know him up and personal, Seven stuck to his assumption that every coin had two sides and that what he saw of Liir here shouldn't be entirely trusted.
Acting on the assumption that the guards where as affable as their leader made them seem to be, he headed towards one of the tables occupied by guards, placing a hand on an empty seat.
"Do you mind if I sit here?" he asked. There was no objection so he sat down. Seven appeared to be busy eating and lost in his thoughts but actually he was actively listening. It was a good chance to gather some information passively while also filling up his reserves.
shop_banner.png
@RoseyVaporeon “…Information, hm?” Laakiim looks intrigued by the request. “About the location of an object? Of questionable legality, I assume… I might know one or two people who could help you out, yes…” She turns to Formel. “Little bird, why don’t you go… check on something for me? There’s that girl over there – can you clear her table, and see if she wants anything to eat?” Formel hesitates for only a moment, then comprehension flickers in her eyes. “Oh! Oh, yes, of course! I’ll leave you two to your business!” She trots away across the room, and Laakiim turns back to Atropos. “Now… anything for a cousin. What do you need? I can get most things, for a price…” @Mistwing608 Neither Detect Magic nor Detect Poison seem to evidence anything on the letter – and nothing happens when Eleneth cracks the wax of the seal. The letter inside is crisp, white, and completely illegible. Eleneth can’t understand a word of it – it’s either in a code or encryption of some kind, or a language she’s never seen before. [center][img]http://orig02.deviantart.net/313a/f/2017/069/3/7/letter_by_aard_rinn-db1tayg.png[/img][/center] She only has a few moments to look at it before Formel bounds over. “Hey, hi – Laakiim send me over to grab these and see if you wanted anything to eat?” She gestures to the tray. “You know you could’ve just grabbed a clean table, so no one gets in your way clearing this one up, right?” @Forelle The guard nods, tugging out the chair for Seven. “Of course, of course – don’t mean to be taking up all the tables. Captain Liir’s just been telling some of his old war stories…” The group of soldiers continues to chat idly about the last story – something about a mountain raid and a heard of aurochs? – before a woman in line calls out, “Hey, Lord Liir! I heard tell your wife is an Erinyes, yesterday morning – can you confirm or deny the feathers in your bed, just for me and the girls down at the chantrey?” That gets an uproarious laugh from the men, and none laugh louder than Liir, who jumps up with a roar. “Alright, then – who the hells wants to tell me what I’ve married?” The men start calling out a whole litany of suggestions – each one more impossible than the last – as to the parentage of the Lady Naii. Noting Seven’s confusion, the guard next to him leans in. “’s an old joke in the city – you haven’t been here before, have you? Rumor has it that the Lady Naii ain’t human – and rumor also has it that she’s rather a lot of different things… Go on, toss something in the ring, will you? My money’s personally on her being a secret dwarf – which may sound mad, but I have my reasons…” He taps the side of his head with a joking grin, and turns his attention back to Lord Liir, who is busy laughing off the suggestion that his wife is actually a cunningly disguised kraken.
@RoseyVaporeon
“…Information, hm?”

Laakiim looks intrigued by the request.

“About the location of an object? Of questionable legality, I assume… I might know one or two people who could help you out, yes…”

She turns to Formel.

“Little bird, why don’t you go… check on something for me? There’s that girl over there – can you clear her table, and see if she wants anything to eat?”

Formel hesitates for only a moment, then comprehension flickers in her eyes. “Oh! Oh, yes, of course! I’ll leave you two to your business!”

She trots away across the room, and Laakiim turns back to Atropos. “Now… anything for a cousin. What do you need? I can get most things, for a price…”

@Mistwing608

Neither Detect Magic nor Detect Poison seem to evidence anything on the letter – and nothing happens when Eleneth cracks the wax of the seal.

The letter inside is crisp, white, and completely illegible. Eleneth can’t understand a word of it – it’s either in a code or encryption of some kind, or a language she’s never seen before.

letter_by_aard_rinn-db1tayg.png

She only has a few moments to look at it before Formel bounds over.

“Hey, hi – Laakiim send me over to grab these and see if you wanted anything to eat?” She gestures to the tray. “You know you could’ve just grabbed a clean table, so no one gets in your way clearing this one up, right?”

@Forelle

The guard nods, tugging out the chair for Seven.

“Of course, of course – don’t mean to be taking up all the tables. Captain Liir’s just been telling some of his old war stories…”

The group of soldiers continues to chat idly about the last story – something about a mountain raid and a heard of aurochs? – before a woman in line calls out, “Hey, Lord Liir! I heard tell your wife is an Erinyes, yesterday morning – can you confirm or deny the feathers in your bed, just for me and the girls down at the chantrey?”

That gets an uproarious laugh from the men, and none laugh louder than Liir, who jumps up with a roar.

“Alright, then – who the hells wants to tell me what I’ve married?”

The men start calling out a whole litany of suggestions – each one more impossible than the last – as to the parentage of the Lady Naii. Noting Seven’s confusion, the guard next to him leans in.

“’s an old joke in the city – you haven’t been here before, have you? Rumor has it that the Lady Naii ain’t human – and rumor also has it that she’s rather a lot of different things… Go on, toss something in the ring, will you? My money’s personally on her being a secret dwarf – which may sound mad, but I have my reasons…”

He taps the side of his head with a joking grin, and turns his attention back to Lord Liir, who is busy laughing off the suggestion that his wife is actually a cunningly disguised kraken.
Eleneth is just now noticing her grumbling stomach as Formel asks

"Yes, Food would be good... Bread please? And.. some cheese with it?" Eleneth blushes when Formel said she could have grabbed a clean table.

Eleneth has an internal debate about whether or not to show Formel the... letter? Maybe one of the other group members would know what it is. For now she puts it in her bag.
Eleneth is just now noticing her grumbling stomach as Formel asks

"Yes, Food would be good... Bread please? And.. some cheese with it?" Eleneth blushes when Formel said she could have grabbed a clean table.

Eleneth has an internal debate about whether or not to show Formel the... letter? Maybe one of the other group members would know what it is. For now she puts it in her bag.
A game I play while waiting
Pinging me? Don't forget the numbers!
These people seemed rather open and trusting towards a total stranger. Sure they weren't discussing anything compromising, who would, out in the open like that, but nevertheless it gave quite an impression.
Seven listened up when the lady called out to Liir. The following exchange and the loudness of it all, temporarily stunned his ears. He winced slightly and while he did not pull a face it was obvious enough to get noticed by the guard. He was glad that his discomfort was mistaken for confusion and he listened to the explanation quietly while regaining his composure.
"A dwarf, huh?", he commented, turning to Liir. He wondered if Lady Naii was in on the joke. It seemed to be a very long running one if Liir supported it in such a manner.
"Tell me, why is it, that you joke about her being a different species?" he asks the guard. This seems quite curious to him.
"She appeared to be vaguely human to me. Liir should know after all, shouldn't he?"
@AardRinn
These people seemed rather open and trusting towards a total stranger. Sure they weren't discussing anything compromising, who would, out in the open like that, but nevertheless it gave quite an impression.
Seven listened up when the lady called out to Liir. The following exchange and the loudness of it all, temporarily stunned his ears. He winced slightly and while he did not pull a face it was obvious enough to get noticed by the guard. He was glad that his discomfort was mistaken for confusion and he listened to the explanation quietly while regaining his composure.
"A dwarf, huh?", he commented, turning to Liir. He wondered if Lady Naii was in on the joke. It seemed to be a very long running one if Liir supported it in such a manner.
"Tell me, why is it, that you joke about her being a different species?" he asks the guard. This seems quite curious to him.
"She appeared to be vaguely human to me. Liir should know after all, shouldn't he?"
@AardRinn
shop_banner.png
Atropos talks in a hushed tone to Laakiim "would a few gold pieces be enough for some information?... i have a few i could spare.."

He then looks around the room for anyone that might be paying attention.
Atropos talks in a hushed tone to Laakiim "would a few gold pieces be enough for some information?... i have a few i could spare.."

He then looks around the room for anyone that might be paying attention.
eA9odUz.png "lights on!"
Zaydin reached to touch the plaque, in particular the worn areas, when Pyre rushes to his side, whining. He crouches next to her, holding her close while she calms. He recognizes her look to the tavern as the cause of her fear.

He looks at her, and then the plaque on the base of the statue again. If nothing else, he wishes to respect those who died, especially if the names are far from worn. He is curious if any of the worn names have any significance, however, and looks them over.

Pyre sits against his right leg, her breath calming as Zaydin takes his time before re-entering the tavern.
Zaydin reached to touch the plaque, in particular the worn areas, when Pyre rushes to his side, whining. He crouches next to her, holding her close while she calms. He recognizes her look to the tavern as the cause of her fear.

He looks at her, and then the plaque on the base of the statue again. If nothing else, he wishes to respect those who died, especially if the names are far from worn. He is curious if any of the worn names have any significance, however, and looks them over.

Pyre sits against his right leg, her breath calming as Zaydin takes his time before re-entering the tavern.
4rrkV.gifWOlGr.gif9YoKu.gifluqOZ.gifsorkworm.gifwenierfish.giftumblr_o2vorcGpWV1uvmfw1o3_r1_75sq.pngtumblr_o4s6zdZMYI1vpwe7to1_75sq.pnghicat.gifwECxk.gifZ0JQD.gifkMMHO.gif
@Mistwing608 Formel ducks her head happily, carrying the tray with her as she goes to get a loaf and some cheese for Eleneth, who tucks the letter away. The elf has a good view of the room while Formel puts the tray together. [quote]You can see (but not hear) what goes on with Atropos and Zaydin. If you don't have anything you want to do, Formel will return and give Eleneth the cheese tray.[/quote] @Forelle “Well, he does know - or that’s what we’re assuming, considering he married her!” the guard laughs. “But he won’t tell us! She may look human, but there’s no way – she’s way too powerful a sorceress not to have some sort of otherling blood in her veins. Just, no one’s sure what it is, like I said.” As he explains this, the room quiets, a bit – folks are still chatting, but the raucous laughter and shouting are mostly finished, and after a few minutes, you realize that guardsmen are slowly starting to leave the bakery. Liir seems to be talking to them in groups of one or two before they head out. @RoseyVaporeon “Of course.” Laakiim grins, golden eyes sharp. “As I said, anything for a cousin. But what do you need – or is it something that can’t be discussed where listening ears might hear?” Formel approaches, hanging back on the edge of hearing range, and Laakiim raises her voice. “Formel, take care of that girl, and keep an eye on the bar for me, would you? I need to go check something in the stockroom.” She turns back to Atropos with a sly grin and a crooked finger. “Come along, then. We’ll have a talk away from prying eyes…” She turns to the staircase down, glancing back to make sure the crow-man is following before heading downwards. @f6e A last glance at the plaque doesn’t reveal any names Zaydin recognizes. Of course, Issin Sear is immediately recognizable as The Battle of Issin Sear – one of the first battles in the Children’s War. A siege of a dwarven stronghold, gone catastrophically, explosively wrong – the whole mountain igniting, sending shards of shrapnel and stone slamming across the battlefield, killing the defenders within and causing grievous casualties among the attackers. Hundreds of soldiers died in the battle – it’s impossible to place the names written here, but perhaps they were residents of the city, or friends and family of those living nearby? Either way, it’s obvious that the monument is still visited, regularly. As Zaydin reenters the tavern, Pyre whimpers – but she seems to relax a little when she sees that Laakiim is no longer at the bar. Instead, Formel is carrying a tray of bread and cheese back to Eleneth, and both Atropos and the bartender seem to have vanished.
@Mistwing608

Formel ducks her head happily, carrying the tray with her as she goes to get a loaf and some cheese for Eleneth, who tucks the letter away. The elf has a good view of the room while Formel puts the tray together.
Quote:
You can see (but not hear) what goes on with Atropos and Zaydin. If you don't have anything you want to do, Formel will return and give Eleneth the cheese tray.

@Forelle

“Well, he does know - or that’s what we’re assuming, considering he married her!” the guard laughs. “But he won’t tell us! She may look human, but there’s no way – she’s way too powerful a sorceress not to have some sort of otherling blood in her veins. Just, no one’s sure what it is, like I said.”

As he explains this, the room quiets, a bit – folks are still chatting, but the raucous laughter and shouting are mostly finished, and after a few minutes, you realize that guardsmen are slowly starting to leave the bakery. Liir seems to be talking to them in groups of one or two before they head out.

@RoseyVaporeon

“Of course.” Laakiim grins, golden eyes sharp. “As I said, anything for a cousin. But what do you need – or is it something that can’t be discussed where listening ears might hear?”

Formel approaches, hanging back on the edge of hearing range, and Laakiim raises her voice. “Formel, take care of that girl, and keep an eye on the bar for me, would you? I need to go check something in the stockroom.”

She turns back to Atropos with a sly grin and a crooked finger. “Come along, then. We’ll have a talk away from prying eyes…”

She turns to the staircase down, glancing back to make sure the crow-man is following before heading downwards.

@f6e

A last glance at the plaque doesn’t reveal any names Zaydin recognizes. Of course, Issin Sear is immediately recognizable as The Battle of Issin Sear – one of the first battles in the Children’s War. A siege of a dwarven stronghold, gone catastrophically, explosively wrong – the whole mountain igniting, sending shards of shrapnel and stone slamming across the battlefield, killing the defenders within and causing grievous casualties among the attackers. Hundreds of soldiers died in the battle – it’s impossible to place the names written here, but perhaps they were residents of the city, or friends and family of those living nearby? Either way, it’s obvious that the monument is still visited, regularly.

As Zaydin reenters the tavern, Pyre whimpers – but she seems to relax a little when she sees that Laakiim is no longer at the bar. Instead, Formel is carrying a tray of bread and cheese back to Eleneth, and both Atropos and the bartender seem to have vanished.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7