Back

Raffles & Giveaways

Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | The Trouble with Tropes:Writing Contest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 60 61
@TheAnneh Lovely! I'll send him your way :)
@TheAnneh Lovely! I'll send him your way :)
@Sheepystuff
You've been added to the entry list. :D

@converseburden
You can donate anything you'd like, I've made subsections for differnt kinds of prizes. :)
Yes there will likely be more than one winner, but I won't be adding a second and third place until there's more than three entries. xD
(I am honestly thinking of making it point-based. Entering would give 1 point, winning would get x amount of points, runners up would get x amount of points. That way entering multiple times will still give benefit, and low-tier prizes (like food and the like) will be available to more than just a couple winners. I'd be ****** and I won and got stuck with a stack of food. xD tbh I wanted to get the prompt and topic up so people could start writing.)
As for your second question, I'll probably make a survey with an answer box asking what people think the rubric should contain.

@Moonyen
Of course. You can donate whatever you'd like. :D
I just stuck a coatl up there 'cause I knew that would get some people's attention! ;3
@Sheepystuff
You've been added to the entry list. :D

@converseburden
You can donate anything you'd like, I've made subsections for differnt kinds of prizes. :)
Yes there will likely be more than one winner, but I won't be adding a second and third place until there's more than three entries. xD
(I am honestly thinking of making it point-based. Entering would give 1 point, winning would get x amount of points, runners up would get x amount of points. That way entering multiple times will still give benefit, and low-tier prizes (like food and the like) will be available to more than just a couple winners. I'd be ****** and I won and got stuck with a stack of food. xD tbh I wanted to get the prompt and topic up so people could start writing.)
As for your second question, I'll probably make a survey with an answer box asking what people think the rubric should contain.

@Moonyen
Of course. You can donate whatever you'd like. :D
I just stuck a coatl up there 'cause I knew that would get some people's attention! ;3
@TheAnneh Here's my entry!

This isn’t home.
Alana awakens in a cold, dark room, illuminated only by luminescent walls. Disoriented, she shifts on the cold, hard, floor with a back pain that only grows as she moves. As her vision adjusts, she forces herself into a sitting position as panic grips her chest. The room has no windows, no doors, and no means of escape.
A robotic voice booms within the room. Whom it belongs to is a complete mystery. There are no speakers, no hidden passages, nothing that provides a means for someone to communicate with her.
“Human.”
She startles, gaze searching the room for the source of the noise.
“Human. Your race is on the brink of extinction.”
Alana pinches herself. The voice continues.
“There are only one hundred of your kind remaining. We have chosen you for a special project.”
She holds her breath.
“In this room, you will show us why your species deserves to live. If you prove your race has no potential, you and the other hundred will be eliminated.”
For the first time, Alana speaks. “What?”
Appearing in the small, cramped room are weapons of all kinds. Swords, laser guns, knives.
“You will undergo a series of tests. Prove yourself, and you will spare your species.”
Alana begins to interject, but before the words escape her lips, a large, feline creature with spikes jutting out of its fur begins to charge toward her.
Without hesitation, she grabs the sword.
@TheAnneh Here's my entry!

This isn’t home.
Alana awakens in a cold, dark room, illuminated only by luminescent walls. Disoriented, she shifts on the cold, hard, floor with a back pain that only grows as she moves. As her vision adjusts, she forces herself into a sitting position as panic grips her chest. The room has no windows, no doors, and no means of escape.
A robotic voice booms within the room. Whom it belongs to is a complete mystery. There are no speakers, no hidden passages, nothing that provides a means for someone to communicate with her.
“Human.”
She startles, gaze searching the room for the source of the noise.
“Human. Your race is on the brink of extinction.”
Alana pinches herself. The voice continues.
“There are only one hundred of your kind remaining. We have chosen you for a special project.”
She holds her breath.
“In this room, you will show us why your species deserves to live. If you prove your race has no potential, you and the other hundred will be eliminated.”
For the first time, Alana speaks. “What?”
Appearing in the small, cramped room are weapons of all kinds. Swords, laser guns, knives.
“You will undergo a series of tests. Prove yourself, and you will spare your species.”
Alana begins to interject, but before the words escape her lips, a large, feline creature with spikes jutting out of its fur begins to charge toward her.
Without hesitation, she grabs the sword.
@TheAnneh
Here's my entry. :)
---
It was as normal a day as any for Sheldon, the small garden snail who lives in the universe. More specifically, he lives in a galaxy, one of the many billion in which snails even exist. More specifically, he lives in the Milky Way. More specifically, he lives on planet Earth, one of many planets and moons. More specifically, he lives on the continent North America. If you can even imagine, North America-a fraction of the universe so small, it can't really be written- is split into even more little areas, and one of the 50 is Wyoming. Sheldon lives in one of the 23 counties in Wyoming- Johnson County. It may seem unbelievable, but that county contains over 4,000 square miles, and Sheldon lives in one of them. That mile has a couple dozen backyards. Sheldon lives in one, in a small concave created by a few sticks who just so happened to lean together the right way. It was really a miracle of the universe that Sheldon even existed.

The Big Alien Doomsday Gargantuan Undercover Y-extermination Society (B.A.D.G.U.Y.S.) had enough of Sheldon's behavior, and really, the behavior of every single snail to live in that backyard. They had consumed several plants with no mercy whatsoever and had even eaten a strawberry that someone had dropped in the lawn. The Society had deemed them worthy of complete and utter destruction- unless, of course, they knew the true meaning of friendship, defying all odds and banishing the B.A.D.G.U.Y.S from existence. So, they sent a test.

A small, futuristic pod fell from the sky and landed in the backyard's grass, sending off an explosion that killed quite a few ants, blades of grass, and single-celled bacteria. The bald spot would not grow back for several days.They were under attack. The brave Sheldon crawled up to the pod. It began to glow, emitting a strange message that promised nothing short of complete genocide. Sheldon sniffed the pod. It smelled good. He tried to eat it. It was too hard. He crawled away and was subsequently eaten by a bird. The test was failed. The snails died.

The universe continued on.
@TheAnneh
Here's my entry. :)
---
It was as normal a day as any for Sheldon, the small garden snail who lives in the universe. More specifically, he lives in a galaxy, one of the many billion in which snails even exist. More specifically, he lives in the Milky Way. More specifically, he lives on planet Earth, one of many planets and moons. More specifically, he lives on the continent North America. If you can even imagine, North America-a fraction of the universe so small, it can't really be written- is split into even more little areas, and one of the 50 is Wyoming. Sheldon lives in one of the 23 counties in Wyoming- Johnson County. It may seem unbelievable, but that county contains over 4,000 square miles, and Sheldon lives in one of them. That mile has a couple dozen backyards. Sheldon lives in one, in a small concave created by a few sticks who just so happened to lean together the right way. It was really a miracle of the universe that Sheldon even existed.

The Big Alien Doomsday Gargantuan Undercover Y-extermination Society (B.A.D.G.U.Y.S.) had enough of Sheldon's behavior, and really, the behavior of every single snail to live in that backyard. They had consumed several plants with no mercy whatsoever and had even eaten a strawberry that someone had dropped in the lawn. The Society had deemed them worthy of complete and utter destruction- unless, of course, they knew the true meaning of friendship, defying all odds and banishing the B.A.D.G.U.Y.S from existence. So, they sent a test.

A small, futuristic pod fell from the sky and landed in the backyard's grass, sending off an explosion that killed quite a few ants, blades of grass, and single-celled bacteria. The bald spot would not grow back for several days.They were under attack. The brave Sheldon crawled up to the pod. It began to glow, emitting a strange message that promised nothing short of complete genocide. Sheldon sniffed the pod. It smelled good. He tried to eat it. It was too hard. He crawled away and was subsequently eaten by a bird. The test was failed. The snails died.

The universe continued on.
@Svae
He's all snuggled up and cozy in my lair! :3

@alicialovely
@Jellygem
You've been added to the list. Thank you for participating! :D
@Svae
He's all snuggled up and cozy in my lair! :3

@alicialovely
@Jellygem
You've been added to the list. Thank you for participating! :D
@TheAnneh
@TheAnneh
Been busy with mothers day, moving, and all that fun stuff, so I'm not yet setting an end date for the first cycle yet. Just letting everyone know, and bumping this. :D

I swear I'm not abandoning you, newly made contest. I swear. ;3
Been busy with mothers day, moving, and all that fun stuff, so I'm not yet setting an end date for the first cycle yet. Just letting everyone know, and bumping this. :D

I swear I'm not abandoning you, newly made contest. I swear. ;3
Bump
Bump
This is a wonderful idea!

I'm just going to give it a shot in the dark.
Quote:
Serenity is the last person who thinks that humanity should be the ruling power of Earth. Just look at what we've already done to it. Entire species have died out, either directly or indirectly because of us. The planet's polluted, dirty, and our resources running out, and yet all we humans can think about is how to make the best profit. As a society, we can barely even handle ourselves, with the world barely having full peace, even now when we call ourselves a modern civilization... that's still uncivilized enough to ignore others when they're in need.

It's no wonder aliens are actually debating whether or not to let humanity carry on as it is.

So yeah, Serenity can probably just stand by and watch as the Earth slowly dies. She'd applaud if all humans were killed, if only that meant that the Earth could prosper again. Points to Mother Nature if she decides to do it in a natural-apocalypse fashion. She's not a misanthrope though. She's just realistic. Humanity was a plague on Earth. In her lifetime, she had always worked hard to change society's views, its ways and methods, trying to make humanity learn that sustainability is more important than growth.

She can't do that now.

While Serenity's pretty sure that she's not dead, she's not too confident that she can return to her life on Earth after the hearing is complete. Besides, she doesn't think she can continue with her life, not after a fortnight of being on this foreign, alien planet, where things are so much more different than it is on Earth, and not just because of the scenery, either.

The other humans here with her don't really like Serenity. The others were of all races and ages, with some of them more friendly to some than others, just like how things were back home. But they all had some uniting factors, though, they all wanted to the Earth to be run by humans, and return to the planet after this is all said and done. They all also strongly disliked Serenity.

Whenever they discussed strategies to convince the aliens (who were much more technologically and morally advanced than humans, Serenity guessed, after some exposure to them), Serenity always shot them down. Scientific advancements, culture, art, resilience, even the food! All these qualities of Earth that they thought justified humanity's behavior, everything made Serenity want to laugh out loud and spit in their faces. Humanity was a species that was slowly dying anyway.

But there were redeeming qualities, of course. Humanity's ability to love is great and powerful and the very thing that makes Earth the way it is. We all love different things, really, in different ways. But that's the reason behind everything we do. Some loved their family, their friends, nature, animals. But some love money, fame, sex, power. And all will do anything and everything in their power to get it, preserve it.

In the end, this is what we have made.

After two whole weeks, it is finally Serenity's turn to speak before the intergalactic court that will determine whether or not humanity can stay. And to the other humans' surprise, she will speak for humanity, not against it. After all, despite all the shortcomings, she loves Earth, loves humanity, and will do all in her power to see humanity grow to learn how to handle the Earth well.

Wow. That ended up a lot more bleak than intended. Sorry.
This is a wonderful idea!

I'm just going to give it a shot in the dark.
Quote:
Serenity is the last person who thinks that humanity should be the ruling power of Earth. Just look at what we've already done to it. Entire species have died out, either directly or indirectly because of us. The planet's polluted, dirty, and our resources running out, and yet all we humans can think about is how to make the best profit. As a society, we can barely even handle ourselves, with the world barely having full peace, even now when we call ourselves a modern civilization... that's still uncivilized enough to ignore others when they're in need.

It's no wonder aliens are actually debating whether or not to let humanity carry on as it is.

So yeah, Serenity can probably just stand by and watch as the Earth slowly dies. She'd applaud if all humans were killed, if only that meant that the Earth could prosper again. Points to Mother Nature if she decides to do it in a natural-apocalypse fashion. She's not a misanthrope though. She's just realistic. Humanity was a plague on Earth. In her lifetime, she had always worked hard to change society's views, its ways and methods, trying to make humanity learn that sustainability is more important than growth.

She can't do that now.

While Serenity's pretty sure that she's not dead, she's not too confident that she can return to her life on Earth after the hearing is complete. Besides, she doesn't think she can continue with her life, not after a fortnight of being on this foreign, alien planet, where things are so much more different than it is on Earth, and not just because of the scenery, either.

The other humans here with her don't really like Serenity. The others were of all races and ages, with some of them more friendly to some than others, just like how things were back home. But they all had some uniting factors, though, they all wanted to the Earth to be run by humans, and return to the planet after this is all said and done. They all also strongly disliked Serenity.

Whenever they discussed strategies to convince the aliens (who were much more technologically and morally advanced than humans, Serenity guessed, after some exposure to them), Serenity always shot them down. Scientific advancements, culture, art, resilience, even the food! All these qualities of Earth that they thought justified humanity's behavior, everything made Serenity want to laugh out loud and spit in their faces. Humanity was a species that was slowly dying anyway.

But there were redeeming qualities, of course. Humanity's ability to love is great and powerful and the very thing that makes Earth the way it is. We all love different things, really, in different ways. But that's the reason behind everything we do. Some loved their family, their friends, nature, animals. But some love money, fame, sex, power. And all will do anything and everything in their power to get it, preserve it.

In the end, this is what we have made.

After two whole weeks, it is finally Serenity's turn to speak before the intergalactic court that will determine whether or not humanity can stay. And to the other humans' surprise, she will speak for humanity, not against it. After all, despite all the shortcomings, she loves Earth, loves humanity, and will do all in her power to see humanity grow to learn how to handle the Earth well.

Wow. That ended up a lot more bleak than intended. Sorry.
OYFGGsN.gif tumblr_inline_nk71alsinU1qg2i5p.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 60 61