Back

Raffles & Giveaways

Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | The Trouble with Tropes:Writing Contest
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 60 61
@TheAnneh Horror, my forte! Here's my entry :3. [quote=Hitchhiking Ghost entry][i]On the fourth of March in twenty-thirteen, at roughly four-fifteen in the morning, a group of five young men and women went missing. A sixth woman has also vanished after contact with the group. The only evidence currently in police custody is a microSD card with footage showing the girl entering the vehicle of the group, and the incident believed to have led to the disappearances. As of now, the case is still open and under investigation, but there have been no new leads. The area in which the footage was taken has been checked by several agencies, but no bodies or vehicles have been found. The following is the footage of the incident, beginning approximately three minutes before the unknown girl enters the vehicle.[/i] === “Hey Cass, slow down a bit.” Cassandra Whitley glances back at the speaker, her boyfriend of almost three years, who’s holding a small digital camcorder. Chase Demson is in the backseat of the SUV, along with Damien Cooke and his fiance, Sherry Williams. The red-haired young woman scowls a little before facing the road again, putting a bit of pressure on the brake. “I don’t like this,” she says. “Too many people end up chopped to bits this way. And why are you recording right now? I thought we were saving the space on that card for when we get to the hotel.” “Aaawww c’mon Cass, you’re letting Hollywood cloud your perceptions again,” comments the fifth passenger. Sitting next to her is Mille Grant, her younger sister. “It’s probably just someone broke down and needing a hand. We might be the only people coming down this road for who knows how long, so we should stop to help.” The cause of the discussion is a sleek white car pulled off the side of the winding country road, its emergency lights flashing steadily in the complete darkness. Out here there are no streetlights, and it feels eerie seeing another source of light under such circumstances. The other two agree and Cass sighs heavily, slowing further before coming to a stop beside the car. Sitting in the driver seat is a pretty young woman with shoulder-length black hair. She’s staring at something in her hands; a mobile phone, judging by the faint light reflecting on her thin face. She’s wearing a deep frown and looks visibly distressed, jumping when Cass sounds her horn to get the girl’s attention. “Hey, need some help?” Millie asks after she and the driver of the other car put their windows down. The girl waves in a helpless manner, gripping her phone in her other hand. “I don’t know what’s going on,” she replies, sounding frustrated and upset. “I just got this thing serviced...oh, that mechanic probably went and got old used injectors from a junkyard instead of buying new ones!” “Bad break,” Damien says sympathetically. “Private guy?” “Craigslist,” the woman answers with a humorless smile. “That’s what I get for trying to be cheap, but I just don’t have the money to pay full-price at some chain place.” She glances at the phone and shakes her head irritably. “And I get no service out here...my carrier has horrible coverage.” “Well, you might as well hop in,” Cass says around her sister, leaning forward to be seen and heard better. “We can take you to the next town so you can see about getting a tow.” “Oh, thank you!” the woman says, relief spreading across her features. “Another car came by like an hour ago, but they didn’t even slow down…” She exits the car and goes to the driver side back door, opening it and bending down to grab something inside. When she straightens she’s holding a small pet carrier. “No one allergic to cats, I hope,” she calls as she uses a foot to shut the car door. “Nope,” Millie answers as Damien gets out, moving the seat forward so the girl can get to the third row of seats. After climbing in, the girl holds the carrier in her lap and Damien moves the seat back, getting in and shutting the door. A feeble mewl sounds from the carrier; the cat sounds either very young, very tired, or nearly dead. “Cat huh?” Chase asks, turning in the seat and looking at the carrier. He’s a cat lover, but Cass isn’t such a big fan of them and refuses to let any in their house. “How’s he doing? Sounding a little pitiful back there.” “Oh, he just hasn’t eaten recently,” the girl answers with a faint smile. “He’s very picky and gets grumpy when he doesn’t get what he wants.” “What’s his name?” The girl doesn’t answer. Her face goes blank, and Chase frowns a little. Is she okay? He’s about to ask if something’s wrong when suddenly an expression of sadness comes over the young woman. She runs her hands along the carrier and purses her lips, shaking her head and muttering under her breath. Chase watches, beginning to feel uncertain. She seemed...normal...just a second ago. Crazy people couldn’t act sane like that, could they? He catches Damien and Sherry’s eyes; they’ve noticed it as well. An uneasy silence, except for the girl’s incomprehensible murmuring, fills the car. “Um...everything okay back there?” Cass calls, her voice tight. The girl blinks slowly at the words, falling silent and opening the carrier door. The look of grief in her eyes makes the others who can see feel even more anxious than just a moment ago. “I’m sorry,” she whispers. “He’s already eaten my body...if I don’t help him find ones he likes the smell of, he’ll eat my soul too. I’m sorry, I don’t have a choice…” As she speaks, Chase notices her eyes are changing. He hastily turns on the camcorder’s flash feature, lighting up the inside of the van. He sees now the girl’s eyes are filling with blood, and a black liquid has started to dribble from her nose and the corners of his mouth. He lets out a startled cry as the camcorder’s light suddenly goes out with a loud pop. Only seeing through the device’s night vision setting now, Chase notices something black and shifting clawing its way out of the carrier. He yells again, and so do the others. “Hey...I can’t stop it!” Cass suddenly shrieks from the driver seat. The van is speeding up, going faster and faster despite her slamming the brakes. Then, a horrible wailing scream rises from the back, from the thing emerging from the carrier, and the car abruptly turns. The momentum causes it to go into a wild tumble down the road; under the screaming and the sound of rending metal and busting glass, the faint words, “I’m sorry,” can still be heard. The camcorder, torn from Chase’s hand from the first impact, flies against the dashboard and breaks. === [i]Thirty-first of May, twenty-fourteen. The case has since been closed thanks to no leads and no evidence of any bodies or vehicles turning up anywhere in the vicinity of the incident. However, there are occasional reports of a group of six people standing near a white car on this road, one of the woman holding a black animal carrier. When investigated further, there is no proof of behind any of the claims.[/i] [/quote]
@TheAnneh

Horror, my forte! Here's my entry :3.
Hitchhiking Ghost entry wrote:
On the fourth of March in twenty-thirteen, at roughly four-fifteen in the morning, a group of five young men and women went missing. A sixth woman has also vanished after contact with the group. The only evidence currently in police custody is a microSD card with footage showing the girl entering the vehicle of the group, and the incident believed to have led to the disappearances. As of now, the case is still open and under investigation, but there have been no new leads. The area in which the footage was taken has been checked by several agencies, but no bodies or vehicles have been found.

The following is the footage of the incident, beginning approximately three minutes before the unknown girl enters the vehicle.

===

“Hey Cass, slow down a bit.”

Cassandra Whitley glances back at the speaker, her boyfriend of almost three years, who’s holding a small digital camcorder. Chase Demson is in the backseat of the SUV, along with Damien Cooke and his fiance, Sherry Williams. The red-haired young woman scowls a little before facing the road again, putting a bit of pressure on the brake.

“I don’t like this,” she says. “Too many people end up chopped to bits this way. And why are you recording right now? I thought we were saving the space on that card for when we get to the hotel.”

“Aaawww c’mon Cass, you’re letting Hollywood cloud your perceptions again,” comments the fifth passenger. Sitting next to her is Mille Grant, her younger sister. “It’s probably just someone broke down and needing a hand. We might be the only people coming down this road for who knows how long, so we should stop to help.”

The cause of the discussion is a sleek white car pulled off the side of the winding country road, its emergency lights flashing steadily in the complete darkness. Out here there are no streetlights, and it feels eerie seeing another source of light under such circumstances. The other two agree and Cass sighs heavily, slowing further before coming to a stop beside the car.

Sitting in the driver seat is a pretty young woman with shoulder-length black hair. She’s staring at something in her hands; a mobile phone, judging by the faint light reflecting on her thin face. She’s wearing a deep frown and looks visibly distressed, jumping when Cass sounds her horn to get the girl’s attention.

“Hey, need some help?” Millie asks after she and the driver of the other car put their windows down. The girl waves in a helpless manner, gripping her phone in her other hand.

“I don’t know what’s going on,” she replies, sounding frustrated and upset. “I just got this thing serviced...oh, that mechanic probably went and got old used injectors from a junkyard instead of buying new ones!”

“Bad break,” Damien says sympathetically. “Private guy?”

“Craigslist,” the woman answers with a humorless smile. “That’s what I get for trying to be cheap, but I just don’t have the money to pay full-price at some chain place.” She glances at the phone and shakes her head irritably. “And I get no service out here...my carrier has horrible coverage.”

“Well, you might as well hop in,” Cass says around her sister, leaning forward to be seen and heard better. “We can take you to the next town so you can see about getting a tow.”

“Oh, thank you!” the woman says, relief spreading across her features. “Another car came by like an hour ago, but they didn’t even slow down…” She exits the car and goes to the driver side back door, opening it and bending down to grab something inside. When she straightens she’s holding a small pet carrier. “No one allergic to cats, I hope,” she calls as she uses a foot to shut the car door.

“Nope,” Millie answers as Damien gets out, moving the seat forward so the girl can get to the third row of seats. After climbing in, the girl holds the carrier in her lap and Damien moves the seat back, getting in and shutting the door. A feeble mewl sounds from the carrier; the cat sounds either very young, very tired, or nearly dead.

“Cat huh?” Chase asks, turning in the seat and looking at the carrier. He’s a cat lover, but Cass isn’t such a big fan of them and refuses to let any in their house. “How’s he doing? Sounding a little pitiful back there.”

“Oh, he just hasn’t eaten recently,” the girl answers with a faint smile. “He’s very picky and gets grumpy when he doesn’t get what he wants.”

“What’s his name?”

The girl doesn’t answer. Her face goes blank, and Chase frowns a little. Is she okay? He’s about to ask if something’s wrong when suddenly an expression of sadness comes over the young woman. She runs her hands along the carrier and purses her lips, shaking her head and muttering under her breath. Chase watches, beginning to feel uncertain. She seemed...normal...just a second ago. Crazy people couldn’t act sane like that, could they? He catches Damien and Sherry’s eyes; they’ve noticed it as well. An uneasy silence, except for the girl’s incomprehensible murmuring, fills the car.

“Um...everything okay back there?” Cass calls, her voice tight. The girl blinks slowly at the words, falling silent and opening the carrier door. The look of grief in her eyes makes the others who can see feel even more anxious than just a moment ago.

“I’m sorry,” she whispers. “He’s already eaten my body...if I don’t help him find ones he likes the smell of, he’ll eat my soul too. I’m sorry, I don’t have a choice…” As she speaks, Chase notices her eyes are changing. He hastily turns on the camcorder’s flash feature, lighting up the inside of the van. He sees now the girl’s eyes are filling with blood, and a black liquid has started to dribble from her nose and the corners of his mouth. He lets out a startled cry as the camcorder’s light suddenly goes out with a loud pop. Only seeing through the device’s night vision setting now, Chase notices something black and shifting clawing its way out of the carrier. He yells again, and so do the others.

“Hey...I can’t stop it!” Cass suddenly shrieks from the driver seat. The van is speeding up, going faster and faster despite her slamming the brakes. Then, a horrible wailing scream rises from the back, from the thing emerging from the carrier, and the car abruptly turns. The momentum causes it to go into a wild tumble down the road; under the screaming and the sound of rending metal and busting glass, the faint words, “I’m sorry,” can still be heard.

The camcorder, torn from Chase’s hand from the first impact, flies against the dashboard and breaks.

===

Thirty-first of May, twenty-fourteen. The case has since been closed thanks to no leads and no evidence of any bodies or vehicles turning up anywhere in the vicinity of the incident. However, there are occasional reports of a group of six people standing near a white car on this road, one of the woman holding a black animal carrier.

When investigated further, there is no proof of behind any of the claims.
0lSM1SJ.png t1eU2lt.pngWishlist
Wow, lots of people entering! :D
I'll be adding you guys a bit later.
Wow, lots of people entering! :D
I'll be adding you guys a bit later.
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
@TheAnneh

I missed Humanity on Trial!? I love Star Trek! Ugh, at least I'm in this one.

Rain Covet loves the rain. She loves it so much she’ll go out anything there is a storm. Today was no different as a light shower fell on the desert wasteland. Rain looked up at the darkening sky with a hint of worry. She normally traveled with Doomy, the Imperial, but had left him home today. The wind blew hard as she tried to scurry home.

Rain curse herself for being so silly as to allow herself to be blown so far out. The wind was blowing in the opposite direction so she had to walk it. The wind blew the light rain into her face. She pulled her hood close. A light glowed in the far distance. Rain perked up and scurried faster. It was a wagon! There was a wagon pulled by two large corpse cleaners.

‘Hello there! Hey! Can I get a ride?’ she yelled out. The hooded figure nodded silently. Rain smiled with glee and hopped on. ‘I live right outside the south edge of the Carrion Canyon. You going that way?’

Again the figure nodded. The wagon moved forward with a crack of the straps. The figure turned and spoke, ‘Traveling alone? I would think that would be scary for such a young fae.’

‘A little at times. But I know my way around here. Are you from here? I’ve never seen you. My mate travels all the time. He’s a messenger, and a knight! Do you know about knights? They’re really cool and have honor and a sword, but I’m not allowed to touch it.’ She pouted.

‘Ha, so talkative. Yes, I have heard of knights before.’ His voice had a strange tone to it. Rain didn’t know what it was like. It was, weird. Like if one of the corpse cleaners had started to talk.

Rain took a moment to look around. The vast desert was moving so quickly past her. The rain seemed to have gotten harder. Everything was turning dark.

‘It’s getting really dark out! I hope some lightning comes. I have a Storm Seeker back home. I wish I brought her. She’ll be able to tell if there was to be lightning.’

‘Yes, it is getting dark out. It’s quite cold too. Are you cold?’ He asked. His tone once again confused her.

‘Nope. I got clothes from Ms. Pinkie’s two really smart daughters. They made it so I wouldn’t get cold out here. Are you cold?’ She called out. The rain was driving harder. The wagon was starting to rattle violently on the rocky dirt road.

‘Oh yes. I’m always cold.’

‘Aww, that’s sad. I’ll get you scarf as a thanks. Wow, we’re going really fast.’ Her eyes widened, ‘We’ll be there in no time!’ She grinned.

‘Hahaha! Indeed. Don’t worry little one. We’ll be there soon.’ The dragon snapped the reins again.

Then again harder. The two familiars pulled the wagon as fast as they could go. The scenery raced by them. The wagon felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment. Rain felt strangely restrained into the wagon. Like she couldn’t get out if she wanted to. Soon enough, the edge of the canyon came into view. Rain was confused. How were they to get to the other side in this wagon?

‘Hey! Hey mister! How are we going to get to the other side?’ She yelled.

He laughed like a manic, ‘Oh, we’re getting to the other side all right. The Afterlife!’

He turned and revealed the skeletal face of a mummified ridgeback. His hood flew back and he snapped the reins continually.

Rain stared at him, ‘No wonder you’re cold. Hey, mister! I don’t know where the Afterlife is but that’s not where I’m going. My clan’s lair is that way.’ She pointed.

He just kept laughing. She pouted at being ignored. Then an idea came to her. It was hard climbing toward the front what with the wagon rocking so much. Rain clung to the back board of the driver’s seat. Rain reached up and grabbed onto his ruined cape. She hulled herself up to his shoulders and did what she does best. She threw herself on his face.

The wagon bucked and wobbled around the road as its driver was blinded. He pulled back on the reins instinctually.

‘Hey mister! I live that way. Not this way. Go that way.’

She pulled his head over to the right. She was slipping off so she moved her hind legs around his neck. The cliff was getting closer. Rain was still stuck to the wagon like some invisible force. She continued to pull at his head to turn him. He got angry as his eyes glowed red. They were almost there.

She slipped further down into his lap. She turned and had a front roll seat to the edge of the cliff. She vaguely thought that she might actually die. Never to see her mate again. Never to visit with friends or hang out at the lair with everyone. No more rain!

‘You’re mean.’ She pouted and bit down on his arm.

He yelled loudly and threw his arm away. She moved over to snap at his other arm. The wagon was side to side erratically. She managed to bit his arm and hang on. His pulling away left on rein to fly free. The other soon met it as he reached over to pry her off. The wagon hit a large rock and toppled over.

Rain was flying again. On a breeze, in the rain. The sand met her too soon. Rain lifted her head and shook the wet sand off. Not that she wasn’t going so fast; the rain was light once again. The wind had died down to a mild breeze. She looked over to the road and saw…nothing. The wagon was gone. She sat on her butt and looked around. Where was it? Did it fall over the cliff? She waddled over to the edge. Nothing. Rain tilted her head. That was weird.

Rain looked back at the road closely and could see the marks of the wagon. She shrugged and continued home.

‘…and that’s what happened! It was like those spooky stories Warmth likes to tell.’ Rain was riding on Cloud Covet’s, her mate, shoulders.

‘And you want to go back to give the ghost a scarf, to say sorry for biting it, even though it tried to kill you.’ Cloud pieced together. He tried hard not to sigh at his mate and charge.

‘Well, when you put it that way.’ Rain pouted, annoyed at him, ‘So, you going with me? Huh, huh, huh?’

‘Stop bouncing on me. Sigh, fine. Let’s go.’

‘Yeah!’

Rain found the rock they had hit. She looked around and didn’t see much. Cloud waited patiently in the background. She picked up a smaller rock and waddled over, her small arms strained. She plunked down the rock and tucked the scarf between the two. She and Cloud left soon after.

‘Are you even sure that the ghost will take it? He’s a ghost.’ Cloud tried to reason one more time.

‘Of course silly! He as all skin and bones. Literally!’
@TheAnneh

I missed Humanity on Trial!? I love Star Trek! Ugh, at least I'm in this one.

Rain Covet loves the rain. She loves it so much she’ll go out anything there is a storm. Today was no different as a light shower fell on the desert wasteland. Rain looked up at the darkening sky with a hint of worry. She normally traveled with Doomy, the Imperial, but had left him home today. The wind blew hard as she tried to scurry home.

Rain curse herself for being so silly as to allow herself to be blown so far out. The wind was blowing in the opposite direction so she had to walk it. The wind blew the light rain into her face. She pulled her hood close. A light glowed in the far distance. Rain perked up and scurried faster. It was a wagon! There was a wagon pulled by two large corpse cleaners.

‘Hello there! Hey! Can I get a ride?’ she yelled out. The hooded figure nodded silently. Rain smiled with glee and hopped on. ‘I live right outside the south edge of the Carrion Canyon. You going that way?’

Again the figure nodded. The wagon moved forward with a crack of the straps. The figure turned and spoke, ‘Traveling alone? I would think that would be scary for such a young fae.’

‘A little at times. But I know my way around here. Are you from here? I’ve never seen you. My mate travels all the time. He’s a messenger, and a knight! Do you know about knights? They’re really cool and have honor and a sword, but I’m not allowed to touch it.’ She pouted.

‘Ha, so talkative. Yes, I have heard of knights before.’ His voice had a strange tone to it. Rain didn’t know what it was like. It was, weird. Like if one of the corpse cleaners had started to talk.

Rain took a moment to look around. The vast desert was moving so quickly past her. The rain seemed to have gotten harder. Everything was turning dark.

‘It’s getting really dark out! I hope some lightning comes. I have a Storm Seeker back home. I wish I brought her. She’ll be able to tell if there was to be lightning.’

‘Yes, it is getting dark out. It’s quite cold too. Are you cold?’ He asked. His tone once again confused her.

‘Nope. I got clothes from Ms. Pinkie’s two really smart daughters. They made it so I wouldn’t get cold out here. Are you cold?’ She called out. The rain was driving harder. The wagon was starting to rattle violently on the rocky dirt road.

‘Oh yes. I’m always cold.’

‘Aww, that’s sad. I’ll get you scarf as a thanks. Wow, we’re going really fast.’ Her eyes widened, ‘We’ll be there in no time!’ She grinned.

‘Hahaha! Indeed. Don’t worry little one. We’ll be there soon.’ The dragon snapped the reins again.

Then again harder. The two familiars pulled the wagon as fast as they could go. The scenery raced by them. The wagon felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment. Rain felt strangely restrained into the wagon. Like she couldn’t get out if she wanted to. Soon enough, the edge of the canyon came into view. Rain was confused. How were they to get to the other side in this wagon?

‘Hey! Hey mister! How are we going to get to the other side?’ She yelled.

He laughed like a manic, ‘Oh, we’re getting to the other side all right. The Afterlife!’

He turned and revealed the skeletal face of a mummified ridgeback. His hood flew back and he snapped the reins continually.

Rain stared at him, ‘No wonder you’re cold. Hey, mister! I don’t know where the Afterlife is but that’s not where I’m going. My clan’s lair is that way.’ She pointed.

He just kept laughing. She pouted at being ignored. Then an idea came to her. It was hard climbing toward the front what with the wagon rocking so much. Rain clung to the back board of the driver’s seat. Rain reached up and grabbed onto his ruined cape. She hulled herself up to his shoulders and did what she does best. She threw herself on his face.

The wagon bucked and wobbled around the road as its driver was blinded. He pulled back on the reins instinctually.

‘Hey mister! I live that way. Not this way. Go that way.’

She pulled his head over to the right. She was slipping off so she moved her hind legs around his neck. The cliff was getting closer. Rain was still stuck to the wagon like some invisible force. She continued to pull at his head to turn him. He got angry as his eyes glowed red. They were almost there.

She slipped further down into his lap. She turned and had a front roll seat to the edge of the cliff. She vaguely thought that she might actually die. Never to see her mate again. Never to visit with friends or hang out at the lair with everyone. No more rain!

‘You’re mean.’ She pouted and bit down on his arm.

He yelled loudly and threw his arm away. She moved over to snap at his other arm. The wagon was side to side erratically. She managed to bit his arm and hang on. His pulling away left on rein to fly free. The other soon met it as he reached over to pry her off. The wagon hit a large rock and toppled over.

Rain was flying again. On a breeze, in the rain. The sand met her too soon. Rain lifted her head and shook the wet sand off. Not that she wasn’t going so fast; the rain was light once again. The wind had died down to a mild breeze. She looked over to the road and saw…nothing. The wagon was gone. She sat on her butt and looked around. Where was it? Did it fall over the cliff? She waddled over to the edge. Nothing. Rain tilted her head. That was weird.

Rain looked back at the road closely and could see the marks of the wagon. She shrugged and continued home.

‘…and that’s what happened! It was like those spooky stories Warmth likes to tell.’ Rain was riding on Cloud Covet’s, her mate, shoulders.

‘And you want to go back to give the ghost a scarf, to say sorry for biting it, even though it tried to kill you.’ Cloud pieced together. He tried hard not to sigh at his mate and charge.

‘Well, when you put it that way.’ Rain pouted, annoyed at him, ‘So, you going with me? Huh, huh, huh?’

‘Stop bouncing on me. Sigh, fine. Let’s go.’

‘Yeah!’

Rain found the rock they had hit. She looked around and didn’t see much. Cloud waited patiently in the background. She picked up a smaller rock and waddled over, her small arms strained. She plunked down the rock and tucked the scarf between the two. She and Cloud left soon after.

‘Are you even sure that the ghost will take it? He’s a ghost.’ Cloud tried to reason one more time.

‘Of course silly! He as all skin and bones. Literally!’
pinkiedragonwithlotsofapparelhigher-1.png ipqcqv.gifwqCqNVL.png
Bumping!
Bumping!
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 60 61