Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] Sunken Dreams
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 38
[Center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3229518/1#post_54238069]previous[/url] [size=7][color=navy][b]Prologue: Part 2 [/b][/color][/size] -------------------- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83061436][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=83061436&skin=0&apparel=940,45794,50220,9997,37886,50221&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/42311678][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=42311678&skin=0&apparel=1709,29802,17930&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] Penina had guided the Guardian’s body to the shore of a nearby island and pulled her far enough to ensure that the high tide would not drag her body away. Then, gathering the seaweed from the island’s surrounding shallow waters, she created a soft bed for the Guardian to lay on. She also realized that the harsh sun may also damage the Guardian’s hide, so Penina tied some palm leaves and branches to make a makeshift shelter just enough to cover the Guardian’s body. But the leg…she noticed the Guardian’s leg was at an odd angle, and it made her feel sick. Penina had never taken up any medical studies, and she cursed at her lack of foresight to consider their significance. She definitely will be asking her teacher to add a few lessons in that area… The Guardian gave a groan and trembled slightly. Penina placed a hand on her forehead – it was very warm, indicating the start of a fever. Think, think! The Pearlcatcher gritted her teeth in frustration. What did mom give me when I had a fever? She recalled a sort of minty kelp leaf that was fed to her, cool to the tongue, and quick to lower a dragon’s temperature. Ice embrace! I saw one of those when I was looking for kelp to make the bed. Quickly, she jumped back into the water and swam back to thick forest bed of kelp. Grabbing a few handfuls, she hurried back to the now shaking patient. “Here, chew this,” she brought the kelp to the Guardian’s mouth, but she was hardly aware of the Pearlcatcher in front of her. “You need to eat some of this,” Penina pressed, and she gently opened the Guardian’s mouth, placed some kelp on her tongue, and then closed her mouth for good measure to ensure that she would chew and swallow the kelp. But the coolness of the kelp invited the Guardian to easily swallow it all, and she gave an audible sigh as the kelp’s effect spread across her body. Opening her eyes, the Guardian weakly lifted her head to see the Pearlcatcher before her. “Who are ye, kind spirit? Is this the afterlife? Where are the rest of me crew?” but when she looked directly in Penina’s eyes, she was quite startled. Something within her stirred, a protective instinct that she was told about as a hatchling but never felt – until now. Penina was getting uncomfortable with the Guardian’s stare, so she tried to break the silence, “My name is Penina. I’m no spirit, and this is not the afterlife. And your crew…I’m sorry. I could only save you.” Tears welled up in the Guardian’s eyes at the news, but after giving a hard swallow, she spoke again, “May their souls fin’ rest in the sea. Thank ye kindly for saving me life, Penina. My name is Keala.” Keala attempted to stand, but gave out a cry of pain when she tried. “Woah, easy there, Keala. You’re still hurt,” Penina helped guide the Guardian in a more comfortable position on the kelp bed. “Me leg is done in by those blasted crates. Ne’er will I trifle with cargo again,” Keala spat in disgust. “I suppose the booty was done in by the booty,” Penina laughed at her joke, but stopped as soon as she saw Keala staring at her seriously. Luckily, the Guardian began to laugh after a moment, realizing the joke, but stopped shortly as she grimaced and held her ribs. “Aye, and me ribs too. They feel plenty bruised,” Keala sighed, “Guess me hide is staying on this here shore for some time. Although, in good company,” she winked at Penina, causing the Pearlcatcher to blush. Penina fumbled with her words, “Err, well, yes, um, I think you need to get some food and water. I can go get some for you, if you want.Um, well, you can’t get it yourself, so, yeah. I should go get some…now.” Flustered, she turned back into the water to gather some food. After gathering some supplies and a large shell to hold water, she returned to the Guardian who was sound asleep. Relieved to see Keala resting, she gently laid the food before her and began looking for a freshwater source. Thank goodness Guardians are known to like seafood. Her search didn’t last for too long. There was a river nearby that fed into the ocean, so she scooped some up with the shell and carried it back. The sun was starting to sink to the waves, and Penina saw Keala staring wistfully towards the ocean. Trying not to make a sound, she settled down near the Guardian and laid the shell full of water near her claws. “Here, drink this. You’ll need to keep up your fluids.” The Guardian looked at her and smiled gratefully. Gulping down the water, she then ate the seafood Penina gathered as though it was her last meal. “Ahhh, that’s bet’er. Me thanks to the chef. I ne’er thought I’d be able to savor another meal,” she looked into Penina’s eyes with a mixture of gratitude and something that the Pearlcatcher couldn’t place a finger on, but it made her shiver. Keala saw her shiver and thought that Pearlcatcher was cold. Deciding to lay her tail around her to shelter her from the wind, she said “Ah, the wind is a bit chilly as the sun falls, ain’t it? Here, lemme return ye kindness. Not much that this broken dragon can do, but I ‘ope it helps.” They stared at each other for a while longer, the glint of the day’s last rays being reflected in each other’s eyes. This time the silence was comforting as the two souls who thought of themselves as lost and in need found a kindred spirit to lean on. “Ye know. I thought fer sure that my chance at life was done. All the things that I wanted to do, the places to visit, the adventures to be had – to be swallowed by the sea, ne’er to surface from a watery grave,” Keala turned to the ocean as she spoke, the endless expanse of water embodying the endless possibilities of a life lived full. “But ye saved me, stole me away from death. Fer that, I am eternally grateful. Ye have me life, me heart, and me soul,” the Guardian looked back towards Penina, “What is it that your heart desires most? I wish to make it so an’ give you a chance at a life you want like ye did fer me.” Penina looked down in embarrassment, tracing her claws absent-mindedly in the sand. “I don’t know what I want, but…” The Pearlcatcher began to speak about her life, about the future that was expected of her, and all of her fears and distress that she had felt through it all. The Guardian was a complete stranger, but yet it felt like a complete stranger would be able to hear her out without judgement, to not see her as royalty but as the everyday dragon she saw herself as. Keala listened on, never interrupting, as she heard the Pearlcatcher’s life story and woes. It tugged on her heart, and she wanted nothing more than to ease Penina’s burden in any way possible. “…and that’s why I escaped. I just needed to get away from it all so I can finally have a moment to myself, as just me.” But Penina became startled as she realized that a whole day has passed since the night she escaped her home. “I’m so sorry. I have to go,” she hopped up and turned towards the ocean. “Wait, lass! Ye ain’t leavin’ me here with this busted leg now?” Keala’s eyes widened in fear, both at the idea of being alone and of her charge leaving. Penina turned back and placed a gentle hand on the Guardian’s claws, “Yes, but only for a little bit. I have to return home before they start searching all the way here. If they do, they’ll kill you,” she shook her head, “I can’t let them do that. I’ll be back once they’re appeased, and then I’ll come back to help you out some more – I promise.” Keala’s heart leapt when she felt the Pearlcatcher’s hand on hers, and she realized the weight of her words. The Guardian nodded solemnly, “Then move swiftly. I’ll wait howe’er long for yer return.” Penina gave a reassuring smile, “Then, I’ll see you later, Keala.” She hopped into the ocean and sped home. When her form disappeared in the ocean, Keala whispered, “See ye later, Penina,” and lowered her head down to sleep. [img]https://imgur.com/9UVvjEs.png[/img] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/84168347][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=84168347&skin=0&apparel=17530,690,10371,10385,10743,10736,10722&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] “Sis, sis! Wait up!” Kailani saw her sister hastily swim right past her towards home. Penina was surprised to hear her sister’s voice and stopped, waiting for her sister to swim up to her. “Where have you been? Mom’s been worried sick. I don’t know if Dad knows yet…probably does by now. I’ve been searching all day. Even the guards are searching high and low for you…” but she saw a different glint in her sister’s eyes that made her grin. “Wait, where did you go? This sort of stunt is something I would do, but I never thought you had it in you.” Penina was a little guarded. They were great at keeping secrets for each other when they were hatchlings, and she usually didn’t reveal her sister’s whereabouts when she escaped her lessons and other responsibilities. But she never had a huge secret that she had asked Kailani to keep. She didn’t feel ready to share it yet. “Uhhh, just swimming.” Kailani raised an eyebrow, “A bit far out and for a long time. You better have a better story than that for Mom and Dad.” Penina groaned, “You have my back though, right?” Her sister grinned, “Of course! You got me out of plenty of scrapes and escapes. It’s time to return the favor.” Penina gave a huge sigh, “You are the best sister. Thank you.” “I’m your only sister, but I’ll take it. Race you home!” and she sped off. “You’re on!” Penina sped off after her, laughing. They loved to race each other when they were small, and doing so again felt like they were both hatchlings, living life without a worry. It was what Penina needed – a short escape before returning to the weight of her responsibilities and future. [img]https://imgur.com/9UVvjEs.png[/img] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72697136][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=72697136&skin=40080&apparel=3697,23127,23130,23126&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] It was their Mom who first saw her daughters race home from the palace’s window. She quickly made her way to the back door that she knew Kailani tended to use when returning in secret from her parents. Fetia typically turned a blind eye and feigned ignorance when her mate questioned if Fetia escaped for one of her outings (she did the same as a hatchling too). This time was different – she needed to know what happened with her daughter, Penina. Arms folded, she stood at the entranceway waiting and heard the giggles from her daughters as they approached. “Okay, okay, so this is what you’re going to say – ” “Say what, my pearls?” Fetia cut off Kailani before she could continue, looking intensely at her daughters. Penina looked startled and afraid when she saw her mother, but Kailani didn’t even bat an eyelid as she walked in. “Oh, why she was missing for a full day. Seems she was caught up in one of her study topics and had to go out to investigate. Right, sis? Go on, tell her. She won’t bite,” as she shoved her sister forward. “It depends,” Fetia said dryly, hiding her amusement. Penina could see some of the relief in her mother’s eyes, so it gave her the courage to talk, “Well, I read about the possibility of shipwreck outside of the city, the one of the pirate crew that attempted to attack Nan’nalu. I figured seeing it in person would be more meaningful than just reading about it, so I set off. But then I came across a discarded fishing net that had a dolphin trapped. I had to help it escape and make sure it could make it to the surface before it drowned. Before I knew it, it was already a whole day, and I couldn’t make it in time to see the shipwreck…” Well, it wasn’t the exact truth, but it felt close enough to her experiences that she could say it without stumbling. Fetia let out a sigh, “At least you are safe. Don’t be going out like that on your own again. If you so desperately need a field trip like that for your studies, drag your sister along. She seems to specialize in those and who knows, perhaps she can learn a few things too if she tags along.” Kailani grinned. “In the meanwhile, you also need to speak to your father. He was ready to go out himself if you didn’t make it home by tonight. We best catch him before he swims off on a search of his own.” Penina’s tail drooped. She knew that she would get a lengthy lecture from her Dad, and she dreaded it. Turning towards her sister, she gave the most pitiful look she had in herself in a silent plea. “Ugh, fine. I’ll join you, but you’re pushing it. Let’s go find Dad,” Kailani said flippantly. [img]https://imgur.com/9UVvjEs.png[/img] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/81432233][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=81432233&skin=0&apparel=37886,35203,35215,35198,50221&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] The daughters found their father in his chambers, sharpening his trident as he sat on his kelp bed. Penina tried to hide behind her sister, losing confidence as she saw the grim determination in his eyes. “Hey Dad, you can put that trident away. We found her,” Kailani said, and she gently shoved Penina ahead of her, “All safe and sound.” He stood up smartly, and placed the trident’s base on the ground, giving a resounding metal clang that echoed in the room. It made Penina feel even smaller, but Kailani’s hand was firmly pressed against her back. “Hi, Father,” Kailani spoke meekly, and she avoided looking directly into his steely gaze. “Penina,” Tusitala spoke, in a quiet and cold voice “Where were you?” His eyes never left her as he awaited an answer. Why did it feel like there was little air in the water to breathe? She swallowed and began her story, “I was out on an excursion to find the shipwreck of the pirate crew that attacked Nan’nalu, since we recently learned about it in my history class. Unfortunately, on the way, I saw a fishing net with a dolphin trapped in it. I worked on freeing it from the net and then ensured that it got to the surface before it could drown. Then I dismantled the net after, to make sure no other sea life would get caught in it. I lost track of time and before I knew it, it was very late. I’m very sorry, Father,” she looked down at her feet, afraid of how he would react. She had never been missing like this, never journeying far from the city. Would he believe her? He didn’t move while she spoke, and he remained still for a minute more after Penina finished. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he nodded, “As a ruler, you need to be mindful of your time. It is a treasure all on its own, something that can never be bought yet still slowly gets used up. Do not disappear like that again on your own. Take with you -” “Me! She has me, Father!” Kailani chirped, and she grabbed her sister’s arm, “I’ll be sure that she doesn’t go anywhere dangerous and comes back on time.” Tusitala looked dubiously at her youngest, “You?” At that point, Fetia had quietly swam into the room without notice, and spoke, “I think what you mean to say is, that you will be there to help her if she does get into trouble. Your sister would probably be more inclined to avoid problems if possible.” Kailani feigned a hurt face, “You hit the mark there. But we’d be safer together, for sure!” Penina looked at her father pleadingly, “I still need to check out that ship wreck. Can I go there in the morning?” Tusitala looked tiredly at his two daughters and sighed, “Yes, but let us know when you go out and when you return. If you are gone longer than a day, then we will search for you.” “Yes!” Kailani pumped her fist, and Penina’s tense body finally relaxed. Yes, now I can go to Keala first thing in the morning… “Off to bed, both of you. We all need our rest after the day’s excitement,” Fetia shooed off the girls, who both quickly made for their rooms. Only Fetia and Tusitala were left behind. “That was quite the scare,” Tusitala said, “I am hesitant to even let them out of the city.” Fetia looked up at his mate, “But you know that my own escapes and adventures led me to you,” and she cupped his head in her hands, looking eye to eye. Her mate smiled, “And I would have had it no other way.” They rested their heads against each other for a time until Fetia broke the silence, “At least they have each other. It makes me more relaxed knowing that.” “Agreed. Let’s get some sleep. I, for one, am exhausted,” and after a small kiss, they retired to their bed, both quickly falling asleep. -------------- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3229518/2#post_54277651]next[/url] Aaaaannd, here's the other half of the prologue! We got our roster of initial characters, and we'll see where our lore goes from here. Ready for the journey? I know I am! @Petall @Aquasparky
previous

Prologue: Part 2

dragon?did=83061436&skin=0&apparel=940,45794,50220,9997,37886,50221&xt=dressing.png

dragon?did=42311678&skin=0&apparel=1709,29802,17930&xt=dressing.png

Penina had guided the Guardian’s body to the shore of a nearby island and pulled her far enough to ensure that the high tide would not drag her body away. Then, gathering the seaweed from the island’s surrounding shallow waters, she created a soft bed for the Guardian to lay on.

She also realized that the harsh sun may also damage the Guardian’s hide, so Penina tied some palm leaves and branches to make a makeshift shelter just enough to cover the Guardian’s body. But the leg…she noticed the Guardian’s leg was at an odd angle, and it made her feel sick. Penina had never taken up any medical studies, and she cursed at her lack of foresight to consider their significance. She definitely will be asking her teacher to add a few lessons in that area…

The Guardian gave a groan and trembled slightly. Penina placed a hand on her forehead – it was very warm, indicating the start of a fever. Think, think! The Pearlcatcher gritted her teeth in frustration. What did mom give me when I had a fever? She recalled a sort of minty kelp leaf that was fed to her, cool to the tongue, and quick to lower a dragon’s temperature. Ice embrace! I saw one of those when I was looking for kelp to make the bed.

Quickly, she jumped back into the water and swam back to thick forest bed of kelp. Grabbing a few handfuls, she hurried back to the now shaking patient. “Here, chew this,” she brought the kelp to the Guardian’s mouth, but she was hardly aware of the Pearlcatcher in front of her. “You need to eat some of this,” Penina pressed, and she gently opened the Guardian’s mouth, placed some kelp on her tongue, and then closed her mouth for good measure to ensure that she would chew and swallow the kelp.

But the coolness of the kelp invited the Guardian to easily swallow it all, and she gave an audible sigh as the kelp’s effect spread across her body. Opening her eyes, the Guardian weakly lifted her head to see the Pearlcatcher before her.

“Who are ye, kind spirit? Is this the afterlife? Where are the rest of me crew?” but when she looked directly in Penina’s eyes, she was quite startled. Something within her stirred, a protective instinct that she was told about as a hatchling but never felt – until now.

Penina was getting uncomfortable with the Guardian’s stare, so she tried to break the silence, “My name is Penina. I’m no spirit, and this is not the afterlife. And your crew…I’m sorry. I could only save you.”

Tears welled up in the Guardian’s eyes at the news, but after giving a hard swallow, she spoke again, “May their souls fin’ rest in the sea. Thank ye kindly for saving me life, Penina. My name is Keala.” Keala attempted to stand, but gave out a cry of pain when she tried.

“Woah, easy there, Keala. You’re still hurt,” Penina helped guide the Guardian in a more comfortable position on the kelp bed. “Me leg is done in by those blasted crates. Ne’er will I trifle with cargo again,” Keala spat in disgust.

“I suppose the booty was done in by the booty,” Penina laughed at her joke, but stopped as soon as she saw Keala staring at her seriously. Luckily, the Guardian began to laugh after a moment, realizing the joke, but stopped shortly as she grimaced and held her ribs. “Aye, and me ribs too. They feel plenty bruised,” Keala sighed, “Guess me hide is staying on this here shore for some time. Although, in good company,” she winked at Penina, causing the Pearlcatcher to blush.

Penina fumbled with her words, “Err, well, yes, um, I think you need to get some food and water. I can go get some for you, if you want.Um, well, you can’t get it yourself, so, yeah. I should go get some…now.” Flustered, she turned back into the water to gather some food.

After gathering some supplies and a large shell to hold water, she returned to the Guardian who was sound asleep. Relieved to see Keala resting, she gently laid the food before her and began looking for a freshwater source. Thank goodness Guardians are known to like seafood. Her search didn’t last for too long. There was a river nearby that fed into the ocean, so she scooped some up with the shell and carried it back.

The sun was starting to sink to the waves, and Penina saw Keala staring wistfully towards the ocean. Trying not to make a sound, she settled down near the Guardian and laid the shell full of water near her claws. “Here, drink this. You’ll need to keep up your fluids.”

The Guardian looked at her and smiled gratefully. Gulping down the water, she then ate the seafood Penina gathered as though it was her last meal. “Ahhh, that’s bet’er. Me thanks to the chef. I ne’er thought I’d be able to savor another meal,” she looked into Penina’s eyes with a mixture of gratitude and something that the Pearlcatcher couldn’t place a finger on, but it made her shiver.

Keala saw her shiver and thought that Pearlcatcher was cold. Deciding to lay her tail around her to shelter her from the wind, she said “Ah, the wind is a bit chilly as the sun falls, ain’t it? Here, lemme return ye kindness. Not much that this broken dragon can do, but I ‘ope it helps.”

They stared at each other for a while longer, the glint of the day’s last rays being reflected in each other’s eyes. This time the silence was comforting as the two souls who thought of themselves as lost and in need found a kindred spirit to lean on.

“Ye know. I thought fer sure that my chance at life was done. All the things that I wanted to do, the places to visit, the adventures to be had – to be swallowed by the sea, ne’er to surface from a watery grave,” Keala turned to the ocean as she spoke, the endless expanse of water embodying the endless possibilities of a life lived full. “But ye saved me, stole me away from death. Fer that, I am eternally grateful. Ye have me life, me heart, and me soul,” the Guardian looked back towards Penina, “What is it that your heart desires most? I wish to make it so an’ give you a chance at a life you want like ye did fer me.”

Penina looked down in embarrassment, tracing her claws absent-mindedly in the sand. “I don’t know what I want, but…” The Pearlcatcher began to speak about her life, about the future that was expected of her, and all of her fears and distress that she had felt through it all. The Guardian was a complete stranger, but yet it felt like a complete stranger would be able to hear her out without judgement, to not see her as royalty but as the everyday dragon she saw herself as.

Keala listened on, never interrupting, as she heard the Pearlcatcher’s life story and woes. It tugged on her heart, and she wanted nothing more than to ease Penina’s burden in any way possible. “…and that’s why I escaped. I just needed to get away from it all so I can finally have a moment to myself, as just me.”

But Penina became startled as she realized that a whole day has passed since the night she escaped her home. “I’m so sorry. I have to go,” she hopped up and turned towards the ocean. “Wait, lass! Ye ain’t leavin’ me here with this busted leg now?” Keala’s eyes widened in fear, both at the idea of being alone and of her charge leaving.

Penina turned back and placed a gentle hand on the Guardian’s claws, “Yes, but only for a little bit. I have to return home before they start searching all the way here. If they do, they’ll kill you,” she shook her head, “I can’t let them do that. I’ll be back once they’re appeased, and then I’ll come back to help you out some more – I promise.”

Keala’s heart leapt when she felt the Pearlcatcher’s hand on hers, and she realized the weight of her words. The Guardian nodded solemnly, “Then move swiftly. I’ll wait howe’er long for yer return.”

Penina gave a reassuring smile, “Then, I’ll see you later, Keala.” She hopped into the ocean and sped home. When her form disappeared in the ocean, Keala whispered, “See ye later, Penina,” and lowered her head down to sleep.

9UVvjEs.png

dragon?did=84168347&skin=0&apparel=17530,690,10371,10385,10743,10736,10722&xt=dressing.png

“Sis, sis! Wait up!” Kailani saw her sister hastily swim right past her towards home. Penina was surprised to hear her sister’s voice and stopped, waiting for her sister to swim up to her.

“Where have you been? Mom’s been worried sick. I don’t know if Dad knows yet…probably does by now. I’ve been searching all day. Even the guards are searching high and low for you…” but she saw a different glint in her sister’s eyes that made her grin. “Wait, where did you go? This sort of stunt is something I would do, but I never thought you had it in you.”

Penina was a little guarded. They were great at keeping secrets for each other when they were hatchlings, and she usually didn’t reveal her sister’s whereabouts when she escaped her lessons and other responsibilities. But she never had a huge secret that she had asked Kailani to keep. She didn’t feel ready to share it yet.

“Uhhh, just swimming.” Kailani raised an eyebrow, “A bit far out and for a long time. You better have a better story than that for Mom and Dad.” Penina groaned, “You have my back though, right?”

Her sister grinned, “Of course! You got me out of plenty of scrapes and escapes. It’s time to return the favor.” Penina gave a huge sigh, “You are the best sister. Thank you.”

“I’m your only sister, but I’ll take it. Race you home!” and she sped off. “You’re on!” Penina sped off after her, laughing. They loved to race each other when they were small, and doing so again felt like they were both hatchlings, living life without a worry. It was what Penina needed – a short escape before returning to the weight of her responsibilities and future.

9UVvjEs.png

dragon?did=72697136&skin=40080&apparel=3697,23127,23130,23126&xt=dressing.png

It was their Mom who first saw her daughters race home from the palace’s window. She quickly made her way to the back door that she knew Kailani tended to use when returning in secret from her parents. Fetia typically turned a blind eye and feigned ignorance when her mate questioned if Fetia escaped for one of her outings (she did the same as a hatchling too). This time was different – she needed to know what happened with her daughter, Penina.

Arms folded, she stood at the entranceway waiting and heard the giggles from her daughters as they approached. “Okay, okay, so this is what you’re going to say – ” “Say what, my pearls?” Fetia cut off Kailani before she could continue, looking intensely at her daughters.

Penina looked startled and afraid when she saw her mother, but Kailani didn’t even bat an eyelid as she walked in. “Oh, why she was missing for a full day. Seems she was caught up in one of her study topics and had to go out to investigate. Right, sis? Go on, tell her. She won’t bite,” as she shoved her sister forward.

“It depends,” Fetia said dryly, hiding her amusement. Penina could see some of the relief in her mother’s eyes, so it gave her the courage to talk, “Well, I read about the possibility of shipwreck outside of the city, the one of the pirate crew that attempted to attack Nan’nalu. I figured seeing it in person would be more meaningful than just reading about it, so I set off. But then I came across a discarded fishing net that had a dolphin trapped. I had to help it escape and make sure it could make it to the surface before it drowned. Before I knew it, it was already a whole day, and I couldn’t make it in time to see the shipwreck…” Well, it wasn’t the exact truth, but it felt close enough to her experiences that she could say it without stumbling.

Fetia let out a sigh, “At least you are safe. Don’t be going out like that on your own again. If you so desperately need a field trip like that for your studies, drag your sister along. She seems to specialize in those and who knows, perhaps she can learn a few things too if she tags along.” Kailani grinned.

“In the meanwhile, you also need to speak to your father. He was ready to go out himself if you didn’t make it home by tonight. We best catch him before he swims off on a search of his own.” Penina’s tail drooped. She knew that she would get a lengthy lecture from her Dad, and she dreaded it. Turning towards her sister, she gave the most pitiful look she had in herself in a silent plea.

“Ugh, fine. I’ll join you, but you’re pushing it. Let’s go find Dad,” Kailani said flippantly.

9UVvjEs.png

dragon?did=81432233&skin=0&apparel=37886,35203,35215,35198,50221&xt=dressing.png

The daughters found their father in his chambers, sharpening his trident as he sat on his kelp bed. Penina tried to hide behind her sister, losing confidence as she saw the grim determination in his eyes.

“Hey Dad, you can put that trident away. We found her,” Kailani said, and she gently shoved Penina ahead of her, “All safe and sound.”

He stood up smartly, and placed the trident’s base on the ground, giving a resounding metal clang that echoed in the room. It made Penina feel even smaller, but Kailani’s hand was firmly pressed against her back.

“Hi, Father,” Kailani spoke meekly, and she avoided looking directly into his steely gaze.

“Penina,” Tusitala spoke, in a quiet and cold voice “Where were you?” His eyes never left her as he awaited an answer.

Why did it feel like there was little air in the water to breathe? She swallowed and began her story, “I was out on an excursion to find the shipwreck of the pirate crew that attacked Nan’nalu, since we recently learned about it in my history class. Unfortunately, on the way, I saw a fishing net with a dolphin trapped in it. I worked on freeing it from the net and then ensured that it got to the surface before it could drown. Then I dismantled the net after, to make sure no other sea life would get caught in it. I lost track of time and before I knew it, it was very late. I’m very sorry, Father,” she looked down at her feet, afraid of how he would react. She had never been missing like this, never journeying far from the city. Would he believe her?

He didn’t move while she spoke, and he remained still for a minute more after Penina finished. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he nodded, “As a ruler, you need to be mindful of your time. It is a treasure all on its own, something that can never be bought yet still slowly gets used up. Do not disappear like that again on your own. Take with you -”

“Me! She has me, Father!” Kailani chirped, and she grabbed her sister’s arm, “I’ll be sure that she doesn’t go anywhere dangerous and comes back on time.” Tusitala looked dubiously at her youngest, “You?”

At that point, Fetia had quietly swam into the room without notice, and spoke, “I think what you mean to say is, that you will be there to help her if she does get into trouble. Your sister would probably be more inclined to avoid problems if possible.”

Kailani feigned a hurt face, “You hit the mark there. But we’d be safer together, for sure!” Penina looked at her father pleadingly, “I still need to check out that ship wreck. Can I go there in the morning?”

Tusitala looked tiredly at his two daughters and sighed, “Yes, but let us know when you go out and when you return. If you are gone longer than a day, then we will search for you.”

“Yes!” Kailani pumped her fist, and Penina’s tense body finally relaxed. Yes, now I can go to Keala first thing in the morning…

“Off to bed, both of you. We all need our rest after the day’s excitement,” Fetia shooed off the girls, who both quickly made for their rooms. Only Fetia and Tusitala were left behind.

“That was quite the scare,” Tusitala said, “I am hesitant to even let them out of the city.” Fetia looked up at his mate, “But you know that my own escapes and adventures led me to you,” and she cupped his head in her hands, looking eye to eye. Her mate smiled, “And I would have had it no other way.”

They rested their heads against each other for a time until Fetia broke the silence, “At least they have each other. It makes me more relaxed knowing that.”

“Agreed. Let’s get some sleep. I, for one, am exhausted,” and after a small kiss, they retired to their bed, both quickly falling asleep.

next

Aaaaannd, here's the other half of the prologue! We got our roster of initial characters, and we'll see where our lore goes from here. Ready for the journey? I know I am!

@Petall @Aquasparky
yXHULpF.png Wishlist
FR+3 time
Dragons for Sale

Art Shop
FujJNYK.pngimage.pngimage.pngs16_book.pngimage.pngo290-d04-Crescentstar711.pngo484-d01-Crescentstar711.png222.pngl15_book.pngl19_01_book.pngrzj2jMv.png
I SHIP PENINA AND KEALA SO HARD THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!! Also, I love the dynamics in this family, it is FANTASTIC!
I SHIP PENINA AND KEALA SO HARD THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!! Also, I love the dynamics in this family, it is FANTASTIC!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Mhm! I honestly really hope they make it far in this Pinkerlocke, but we'll see. And thank you! It's a very loving family situation, but if something happens to one of them, I'm sure it'll make a heavy impact... Might premise something of a big plot change. [emoji=guardian winking size=1]
@Petall
Mhm! I honestly really hope they make it far in this Pinkerlocke, but we'll see. And thank you! It's a very loving family situation, but if something happens to one of them, I'm sure it'll make a heavy impact... Might premise something of a big plot change.
yXHULpF.png Wishlist
FR+3 time
Dragons for Sale

Art Shop
FujJNYK.pngimage.pngimage.pngs16_book.pngimage.pngo290-d04-Crescentstar711.pngo484-d01-Crescentstar711.png222.pngl15_book.pngl19_01_book.pngrzj2jMv.png
[center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3229518/2#post_54250145]previous[/url] [size=7][color=navy][b]Chapter 1: A Lone Survivor[/b][/color][/size] -------------------- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71985426][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/719855/71985426_350.png[/img][/url] Trompette felt uneasy after the storm blew in. It caused many ships to stay in harbor at the Seafarer’s Rest, including his own, the Voyager. However, rumors spread that there was ship that did go out to sea in the hopes to pass the storm and make an early delivery of its cargo. If there was a ship that did venture out in that storm...he shuddered at the thought. [i]May the Tidelord, wherever he was, have mercy on that crew.[/i] So his ship and crew were out patrolling the waters, searching for any signs of a wrecked ship or struggling survivors. He turned towards the crow’s nest where Areta was using her keen sight to examine the surrounding ocean. “See anythin’ yet?” he called out to her. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/61908481][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/619085/61908481_350.png[/img][/url] “Nothin’ but waves and a passin’ pod o’ whales,” she hollered down to him. “Keep at it then. Call out if ye do see somethin’,” Trompette replied. Perhaps his worries over the rumors were just a false alarm… [img]https://imgur.com/9UVvjEs.png[/img] “Wreck off the starboaord side!” Areta yelled and she glided down to the deck. The crew clamored to the right side of the ship to look out at the wreck, or at least what was left of it. A floating mast and sail, pieces of the wooden hull, and some barrels were rocking gently in the waves – an almost innocent sight to indicate a tragic loss. “Don’ just get distracted by that wreck! Keep our ship away from those waters. There be a reef there. Must’ve been what sunk ‘em, aside from the waves and wind,” Trompette observed, and he solemnly turned towards a crewmate nearest to him, “Mento, can ye check to see if there are any survivors?” [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/82148000][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/821481/82148000_350.png[/img][/url] With a grave nod, the Pearlcatcher jumped off the side of the ship and swam towards the sunken wreck. “The rest of ye, man yer stations!” Trompette ordered, and his crew quickly left the starboard side, leaving only himself and Clef, his first mate. “Think anyone could have survived?” Trompette quietly asked Clef. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/18979][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/190/18979_350.png[/img][/url] “Unlikely, but I’ve seen some lucky survivors in me lifetime. May be good to send out anothar to check fer those that could have washed away. Winds an’ waves have a mind of thar own…” the Guardian trailed off as he turned towards the wreck. “Areta! We need yer eyes to spot any survivors further out. See if anything washed ashore on any neighboring islands,” Trompette said to the Banescale who was still waiting patiently on deck. Without a word, she flew out over the waves, her form eventually disappearing from view. [img]https://imgur.com/9UVvjEs.png[/img] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/42311678][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=42311678&skin=0&apparel=1709,29802,17930&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] Keala woke groggily, blinking the sleep from her eyes, and saw a shadow of a figure in front of her. “Is that ye, lass? Ye’d be a sight fer sore eyes,” she said, her eyes slowly coming into focus. “Can’t say I’ve seen ye before, so I’d be guessin’ yer were hopin’ fer a diff’rent lass,” Areta replied with a grin. The Guardian was startled by the unexpected Banescale, and backed up, only to cause immense pain in her leg. “Oy, ye’d be hurt pretty bad. Don’t move. Help is comin’ ashore,” Areta said, careful to not come closer to the scared Guardian. “But ye don’t understand. I am waitin’ fer someone. She should be back soon,” Keala said hurriedly, turning her head frantically in the hopes she would see the merdragon in the surrounding water. “Not sure what ye mean as there are no signs of any of yer crew survivin’ that storm,” Areta replied with a look of worry and confusion, and she was thankful when her captain pulled up in a rowboat with a few others. “Ye found a survivor, Areta! Excellent work. How is she?” Trompette said as he walked up beside her, “What’s yer name, shipmate?” “Keala, but I can’t leave here. I’d be waitin’ fer someone,” the Guardian said firmly. “And who’d that be?,” the captain asked, noticing the worry in Areta’s eyes. “A merdragon. She saved me, but she had to leave. Said she’d be back,” Keala answered, noticing the Banescale whispering something in his ear. “My crew said there be nothin’ in the waters around this island,” Trompette said gently, flicking his tail in a weird motion that signaled to a particular crewmate, Reggae, who subtly moved out of the Guardian’s gaze. “Ye gotta believe me. She’ll be here soon,” Keala said, panic clearly making her voice rise, “Please, she -” [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/34914186][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/349142/34914186_350.png[/img][/url] There was a sudden thud heard as a sword hilt struck the back of the Guardian’s head, and the crew leaned forward to catch her falling form. “Clean blow from behind. She’d be out fer about an hour or two,” Reggae said, returning her sword to its sheath. “Then there be no time to lose. Come on, let’s bring her to the ship and back to port. Gently though – she’d be hurt at the leg an’ ribs based on what we’ve seen, but there may be more that we don’t see,” the captain instructed his crew, and they all moved swiftly. “Ye think she be bewitched by sirens?” Areta said in a hushed voice, “me mum told me about ‘em when I was a hatchling. Described folk losing their senses when captured by a siren’s voice.” “Hard to say, but she needs medical attention fer sure. Let’s see what they say when they see her,” and Trompette hurried with the rest of the crew, missing the signs of care that Kailani made for Keala... ------------------------ [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3229518/2#post_54282171]next[/url] Some time in the coli caused all of my dragons to get to level 4 (one set of battles for my trio Keala, Kalaini, and Penina, and the smaller set of battle for Fetia and Tusitala). Let's see if the Woodland area is as kind as the Training Fields... @Petall @Aquasparky
previous

Chapter 1:
A Lone Survivor

71985426_350.png

Trompette felt uneasy after the storm blew in. It caused many ships to stay in harbor at the Seafarer’s Rest, including his own, the Voyager. However, rumors spread that there was ship that did go out to sea in the hopes to pass the storm and make an early delivery of its cargo. If there was a ship that did venture out in that storm...he shuddered at the thought. May the Tidelord, wherever he was, have mercy on that crew. So his ship and crew were out patrolling the waters, searching for any signs of a wrecked ship or struggling survivors.

He turned towards the crow’s nest where Areta was using her keen sight to examine the surrounding ocean. “See anythin’ yet?” he called out to her.

61908481_350.png

“Nothin’ but waves and a passin’ pod o’ whales,” she hollered down to him. “Keep at it then. Call out if ye do see somethin’,” Trompette replied. Perhaps his worries over the rumors were just a false alarm…

9UVvjEs.png

“Wreck off the starboaord side!” Areta yelled and she glided down to the deck. The crew clamored to the right side of the ship to look out at the wreck, or at least what was left of it. A floating mast and sail, pieces of the wooden hull, and some barrels were rocking gently in the waves – an almost innocent sight to indicate a tragic loss. “Don’ just get distracted by that wreck! Keep our ship away from those waters. There be a reef there. Must’ve been what sunk ‘em, aside from the waves and wind,” Trompette observed, and he solemnly turned towards a crewmate nearest to him, “Mento, can ye check to see if there are any survivors?”

82148000_350.png

With a grave nod, the Pearlcatcher jumped off the side of the ship and swam towards the sunken wreck.

“The rest of ye, man yer stations!” Trompette ordered, and his crew quickly left the starboard side, leaving only himself and Clef, his first mate. “Think anyone could have survived?” Trompette quietly asked Clef.

18979_350.png

“Unlikely, but I’ve seen some lucky survivors in me lifetime. May be good to send out anothar to check fer those that could have washed away. Winds an’ waves have a mind of thar own…” the Guardian trailed off as he turned towards the wreck.

“Areta! We need yer eyes to spot any survivors further out. See if anything washed ashore on any neighboring islands,” Trompette said to the Banescale who was still waiting patiently on deck. Without a word, she flew out over the waves, her form eventually disappearing from view.

9UVvjEs.png

dragon?did=42311678&skin=0&apparel=1709,29802,17930&xt=dressing.png

Keala woke groggily, blinking the sleep from her eyes, and saw a shadow of a figure in front of her. “Is that ye, lass? Ye’d be a sight fer sore eyes,” she said, her eyes slowly coming into focus. “Can’t say I’ve seen ye before, so I’d be guessin’ yer were hopin’ fer a diff’rent lass,” Areta replied with a grin.

The Guardian was startled by the unexpected Banescale, and backed up, only to cause immense pain in her leg. “Oy, ye’d be hurt pretty bad. Don’t move. Help is comin’ ashore,” Areta said, careful to not come closer to the scared Guardian. “But ye don’t understand. I am waitin’ fer someone. She should be back soon,” Keala said hurriedly, turning her head frantically in the hopes she would see the merdragon in the surrounding water.

“Not sure what ye mean as there are no signs of any of yer crew survivin’ that storm,” Areta replied with a look of worry and confusion, and she was thankful when her captain pulled up in a rowboat with a few others.

“Ye found a survivor, Areta! Excellent work. How is she?” Trompette said as he walked up beside her, “What’s yer name, shipmate?” “Keala, but I can’t leave here. I’d be waitin’ fer someone,” the Guardian said firmly. “And who’d that be?,” the captain asked, noticing the worry in Areta’s eyes. “A merdragon. She saved me, but she had to leave. Said she’d be back,” Keala answered, noticing the Banescale whispering something in his ear.

“My crew said there be nothin’ in the waters around this island,” Trompette said gently, flicking his tail in a weird motion that signaled to a particular crewmate, Reggae, who subtly moved out of the Guardian’s gaze. “Ye gotta believe me. She’ll be here soon,” Keala said, panic clearly making her voice rise, “Please, she -”

34914186_350.png

There was a sudden thud heard as a sword hilt struck the back of the Guardian’s head, and the crew leaned forward to catch her falling form. “Clean blow from behind. She’d be out fer about an hour or two,” Reggae said, returning her sword to its sheath. “Then there be no time to lose. Come on, let’s bring her to the ship and back to port. Gently though – she’d be hurt at the leg an’ ribs based on what we’ve seen, but there may be more that we don’t see,” the captain instructed his crew, and they all moved swiftly.

“Ye think she be bewitched by sirens?” Areta said in a hushed voice, “me mum told me about ‘em when I was a hatchling. Described folk losing their senses when captured by a siren’s voice.” “Hard to say, but she needs medical attention fer sure. Let’s see what they say when they see her,” and Trompette hurried with the rest of the crew, missing the signs of care that Kailani made for Keala...

next

Some time in the coli caused all of my dragons to get to level 4 (one set of battles for my trio Keala, Kalaini, and Penina, and the smaller set of battle for Fetia and Tusitala). Let's see if the Woodland area is as kind as the Training Fields...

@Petall @Aquasparky
yXHULpF.png Wishlist
FR+3 time
Dragons for Sale

Art Shop
OMG THE JOLT OF EXCITEMENT THAT RAN THROUGH ME WHEN I SAW THE IMAGE OF TROMPETTE, I WAS LIKE "I KNOW THAT GUY!!!" It was so great seeing his crew again!

I'm not sure how much Trompette and his crew are making an appearance, but I do want to saw I am planning on turning a chunk of my pirates into a permanent clan of their own in my hibden, and if you ever want to collab with I am open to it, and the same goes for any of the other dragons/clans I keep or have running in my pinkerlockes! No pressure of course, I would not want to impose, but just wanted to let you know there is an open invitation should that be something you desire, at any point at all.
OMG THE JOLT OF EXCITEMENT THAT RAN THROUGH ME WHEN I SAW THE IMAGE OF TROMPETTE, I WAS LIKE "I KNOW THAT GUY!!!" It was so great seeing his crew again!

I'm not sure how much Trompette and his crew are making an appearance, but I do want to saw I am planning on turning a chunk of my pirates into a permanent clan of their own in my hibden, and if you ever want to collab with I am open to it, and the same goes for any of the other dragons/clans I keep or have running in my pinkerlockes! No pressure of course, I would not want to impose, but just wanted to let you know there is an open invitation should that be something you desire, at any point at all.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall
Yes! His crew made an appearance because I needed a way for Keala to be forcibly taken from her island. May be around a little while longer until she gets a crew together.

I'd love to do a collab! Might be after Keala makes it to port so I'll have to see how the trio fares in the coli first (meat item run atm so long and painful...)
@Petall
Yes! His crew made an appearance because I needed a way for Keala to be forcibly taken from her island. May be around a little while longer until she gets a crew together.

I'd love to do a collab! Might be after Keala makes it to port so I'll have to see how the trio fares in the coli first (meat item run atm so long and painful...)
yXHULpF.png Wishlist
FR+3 time
Dragons for Sale

Art Shop
Fun!!! I can't wait to see more of them, and to see Keala's crew!

Oof, good luck with the meat round! I hope everyone makes it out alive!
Fun!!! I can't wait to see more of them, and to see Keala's crew!

Oof, good luck with the meat round! I hope everyone makes it out alive!
[Center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3229518/2#post_54277651]previous[/url] [size=6][Color=navy][b]Chapter 2: The Sisters' Discovery[/b][/color][/size] ----------- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/84168347][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=84168347&skin=0&apparel=17530,690,10371,10385,10743,10736,10722&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83061436][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=83061436&skin=0&apparel=940,45794,50220,9997,37886,50221&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] “Can you slow down? I’m still waking up,” yawning, Kailani was trying to catch up with her sister, who was moving quickly towards the island where she had left Keala yesterday. “We already lost too much time. You slept in. Dad gave us one of his lectures on safety. We had to spend time talking to the guards to let them know where we are going and when we’ll be back,” Penina cursed silently, “I just hope she’s okay…” she trailed off, lost in thought. But her last words were audible enough to perk up Kailani’s ears, “She? So we’re going to meet someone?” Penina stayed silent, gritting her teeth and focusing only on her destination. Kailani had finally caught up but stayed silent when she saw the determination in her sister’s eyes. She had never seen her sister so serious and worried. Something was up, and she will find out soon. They passed through the deep waters surrounding the city of Nan’nalu, and then came up to a colorful reef filled with an assortment of sea life. Yet, a portion of it looked ripped up and showed signs of a recent ship wreck – the broken hull of a wooden vessel whose bones still contained supplies and deathly still bodies unable to escape their watery grave… A shiver ran through Penina as she imagined Keala possibly being amongst the lost sailors if it hadn’t been for her intervention, but Kailani’s sharp comment cut through her train of thought. “What sort of blubberhead decided to run their ship into a reef?” “There was a storm, and it made them unable to see the reef in time,” Penina replied, her gaze now reaffixed towards the shore where she had last left Keala. “Pft, land folk. Probably best if they stayed away from these waters. It’d keep both them and Nan’nalu safer if they did,” muttered Kailani. They swam on in silence and finally swam up to the shoreline of the nearby island. “Wait, what are we doing here? What...” then it dawned on Kailani, “who are you looking for?” But her sister didn’t answer her. She was fixed on the now empty spot where Keala had laid, fear running through her body. Penina ran towards the spot, hoping that her eyes were deceiving her, but there was no sign of the Guardian. “She couldn’t have gone far on her own. Her leg and body were really hurt. I made sure she had enough food and water to last until I came back,” Penina spoke aloud, almost as if she was trying to convince herself that she was okay and still around…somewhere. The fear and lack of control that Penina showed really unsettled Kailani, but she didn’t let it stop from speaking her mind, “Sis, did you save someone from that ship? You know our city’s law – never interact with the surface folk. They only bring upon trouble. If mom and dad knew about this, they’d -” “They’d tell me what exactly to do and how to act and everything,” Penina spat back, lashing out like an eel, “They’d do the same thing they have done throughout my life and tell me how to live it. I am tired of it. I made my choice, and they can’t take that away from me.” Seeing her sister’s surprised face caused Penina to catch herself from yelling more, “I’m sorry, sis. I’m not mad at you. I’m just…” and she turned her head away in shame. Kailani paused for a minute or two and then walked up to her, putting a hand on her sister’s shoulder, “You have been carrying the burden of our family’s future on your shoulders all your life. I’ve been…selfish, to ignore it and live the way I wanted to,” then she looked down at the sand, studying the prints left behind. “It looks like there wasn’t a struggle, nor any blood, so your survivor should still be okay. But these prints…” her eyes led to the shore, “seem to indicate that there were a group of dragons that approached and then left holding something rather heavy,” pointing to the deeper set of prints returning to the water. “They took Keala?!” Penina exclaimed, her eyes turning towards the foot prints in the sand. “Ah, so this survivor has a name?” Kailani grinned, causing Penina to blush. “Yes, she had enough of her senses to talk, but she was too hurt to do much more,” Penina said, rummaging around in her bag, “I was supposed to use the supplies I brought with me to help patch her up.” Kailani shook her head, “Nothing to patch up here now. If you want to find her, we need to search the ocean for her, and time is both our enemy and friend on this. The more time we waste, the more unlikely we are to find her at all. The Tidelord knows how vast his oceans are.” Penina’s eyes had a far-away look, “She might be gone, forever?” “Not if we can help it! Let’s start searching now. With any luck, maybe we can find Keala before we have to return home,” Kailani said, hoping to soothe her sister, but Kailani wasn’t too confident in her own words. The only reason they could see the prints was because it was low tide, where the ocean withdrew its touch from the shore. Time had already passed since Keala was taken by this mysterious batch of dragons. They both jumped into the water and began searching for signs of a ship in the neighboring waters. ---------------- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3229518/3#post_54314888]next[/url] That bout of battles was so intense. Lots of close calls and fleeing until I could get them to a higher level in the woods area (elemental attacks are the worst). Thank goodness for all of the potions I've been hoarding over my years on the site. Makes me scared at what will come next (since I pulled another meat item today, darn you Pinkerton!). Keala, Penina, and Kailani are now level 6. Will be using one of them and the king/queen in the coli party for that bunch of battles, and I'm sure it'll be another set of worrisome battles ahead... @Petall @Aquasparky
previous

Chapter 2:
The Sisters' Discovery

dragon?did=84168347&skin=0&apparel=17530,690,10371,10385,10743,10736,10722&xt=dressing.png

dragon?did=83061436&skin=0&apparel=940,45794,50220,9997,37886,50221&xt=dressing.png

“Can you slow down? I’m still waking up,” yawning, Kailani was trying to catch up with her sister, who was moving quickly towards the island where she had left Keala yesterday.

“We already lost too much time. You slept in. Dad gave us one of his lectures on safety. We had to spend time talking to the guards to let them know where we are going and when we’ll be back,” Penina cursed silently, “I just hope she’s okay…” she trailed off, lost in thought.

But her last words were audible enough to perk up Kailani’s ears, “She? So we’re going to meet someone?” Penina stayed silent, gritting her teeth and focusing only on her destination. Kailani had finally caught up but stayed silent when she saw the determination in her sister’s eyes. She had never seen her sister so serious and worried. Something was up, and she will find out soon.

They passed through the deep waters surrounding the city of Nan’nalu, and then came up to a colorful reef filled with an assortment of sea life. Yet, a portion of it looked ripped up and showed signs of a recent ship wreck – the broken hull of a wooden vessel whose bones still contained supplies and deathly still bodies unable to escape their watery grave…

A shiver ran through Penina as she imagined Keala possibly being amongst the lost sailors if it hadn’t been for her intervention, but Kailani’s sharp comment cut through her train of thought. “What sort of blubberhead decided to run their ship into a reef?”

“There was a storm, and it made them unable to see the reef in time,” Penina replied, her gaze now reaffixed towards the shore where she had last left Keala. “Pft, land folk. Probably best if they stayed away from these waters. It’d keep both them and Nan’nalu safer if they did,” muttered Kailani.

They swam on in silence and finally swam up to the shoreline of the nearby island. “Wait, what are we doing here? What...” then it dawned on Kailani, “who are you looking for?” But her sister didn’t answer her. She was fixed on the now empty spot where Keala had laid, fear running through her body. Penina ran towards the spot, hoping that her eyes were deceiving her, but there was no sign of the Guardian.

“She couldn’t have gone far on her own. Her leg and body were really hurt. I made sure she had enough food and water to last until I came back,” Penina spoke aloud, almost as if she was trying to convince herself that she was okay and still around…somewhere. The fear and lack of control that Penina showed really unsettled Kailani, but she didn’t let it stop from speaking her mind, “Sis, did you save someone from that ship? You know our city’s law – never interact with the surface folk. They only bring upon trouble. If mom and dad knew about this, they’d -”

“They’d tell me what exactly to do and how to act and everything,” Penina spat back, lashing out like an eel, “They’d do the same thing they have done throughout my life and tell me how to live it. I am tired of it. I made my choice, and they can’t take that away from me.”

Seeing her sister’s surprised face caused Penina to catch herself from yelling more, “I’m sorry, sis. I’m not mad at you. I’m just…” and she turned her head away in shame. Kailani paused for a minute or two and then walked up to her, putting a hand on her sister’s shoulder, “You have been carrying the burden of our family’s future on your shoulders all your life. I’ve been…selfish, to ignore it and live the way I wanted to,” then she looked down at the sand, studying the prints left behind.

“It looks like there wasn’t a struggle, nor any blood, so your survivor should still be okay. But these prints…” her eyes led to the shore, “seem to indicate that there were a group of dragons that approached and then left holding something rather heavy,” pointing to the deeper set of prints returning to the water. “They took Keala?!” Penina exclaimed, her eyes turning towards the foot prints in the sand.

“Ah, so this survivor has a name?” Kailani grinned, causing Penina to blush. “Yes, she had enough of her senses to talk, but she was too hurt to do much more,” Penina said, rummaging around in her bag, “I was supposed to use the supplies I brought with me to help patch her up.”

Kailani shook her head, “Nothing to patch up here now. If you want to find her, we need to search the ocean for her, and time is both our enemy and friend on this. The more time we waste, the more unlikely we are to find her at all. The Tidelord knows how vast his oceans are.”

Penina’s eyes had a far-away look, “She might be gone, forever?” “Not if we can help it! Let’s start searching now. With any luck, maybe we can find Keala before we have to return home,” Kailani said, hoping to soothe her sister, but Kailani wasn’t too confident in her own words. The only reason they could see the prints was because it was low tide, where the ocean withdrew its touch from the shore. Time had already passed since Keala was taken by this mysterious batch of dragons.

They both jumped into the water and began searching for signs of a ship in the neighboring waters.

next

That bout of battles was so intense. Lots of close calls and fleeing until I could get them to a higher level in the woods area (elemental attacks are the worst). Thank goodness for all of the potions I've been hoarding over my years on the site. Makes me scared at what will come next (since I pulled another meat item today, darn you Pinkerton!). Keala, Penina, and Kailani are now level 6. Will be using one of them and the king/queen in the coli party for that bunch of battles, and I'm sure it'll be another set of worrisome battles ahead...

@Petall @Aquasparky
yXHULpF.png Wishlist
FR+3 time
Dragons for Sale

Art Shop
Ah, I knew it was coming of course, since we say were Keala went, but it still breaks my heart to have Penina not know. I hope they can reunite someday!
Ah, I knew it was coming of course, since we say were Keala went, but it still breaks my heart to have Penina not know. I hope they can reunite someday!
@Petall
Me too. Here's hoping the Pinkerlocke is kind to this pair!
@Petall
Me too. Here's hoping the Pinkerlocke is kind to this pair!
yXHULpF.png Wishlist
FR+3 time
Dragons for Sale

Art Shop
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 38