Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ] 2021 Cooking Contest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Forestwolf Hey there, thanks so much for entering! It's totally fine if you've already eaten the food, could you please take a second picture (with the same plate you used) and include your username and id in the sticky note? (Keep the first picture, that's fine.)

It won't affect your score, but for fairness we've asked everyone to include their name and id in the picture.

Thank you for understanding!
@Forestwolf Hey there, thanks so much for entering! It's totally fine if you've already eaten the food, could you please take a second picture (with the same plate you used) and include your username and id in the sticky note? (Keep the first picture, that's fine.)

It won't affect your score, but for fairness we've asked everyone to include their name and id in the picture.

Thank you for understanding!
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
@Sylvander

Sorry! I fixed it. I had to get another slice haha.
@Sylvander

Sorry! I fixed it. I had to get another slice haha.
Light-and-Shadow-Bonsai.png
@Forestwolf Thank you! :) I'll go link the entry now.

[EDIT]: Hold on, clarifying something with the category.
@Forestwolf Thank you! :) I'll go link the entry now.

[EDIT]: Hold on, clarifying something with the category.
@Forestwolf Hi there, really really really sorry about all the pings.

I need to ask, is your butter unsalted or salted? The other ingredients didn't seem like they would have any saltiness, but if they happened to, let me know.

Sorry if that seems like a very specific question. To qualify for the Sweet Sorrow category, sweet and salty flavors (even if it's trace amounts) are required; just wanted to make sure.

[EDIT]: We talked about it, and the dish will be entered in the Sour Adversity category. :)
@Forestwolf Hi there, really really really sorry about all the pings.

I need to ask, is your butter unsalted or salted? The other ingredients didn't seem like they would have any saltiness, but if they happened to, let me know.

Sorry if that seems like a very specific question. To qualify for the Sweet Sorrow category, sweet and salty flavors (even if it's trace amounts) are required; just wanted to make sure.

[EDIT]: We talked about it, and the dish will be entered in the Sour Adversity category. :)
@Sylvandyr

Sorry I missed your ping. I use salted butter for everything, and the recipe does have a tangy sweet/salty flavour, given the shortbread crust.
@Sylvandyr

Sorry I missed your ping. I use salted butter for everything, and the recipe does have a tangy sweet/salty flavour, given the shortbread crust.
Light-and-Shadow-Bonsai.png
[b]Username:[/b] whamm [b]Entry Title:[/b] Rainbow Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies [b]Category:[/b] Sweet Sorrow [b]Theme:[/b] With an array of colors, these cookies highlight the entire spectrum of light, which makes them perfect for Brightshine Jubilee! The sweet of the sugar cookie base and semi-sweet of the chocolate chips and baking M&Ms is contrasted by the salt and cracker-like texture of the pretzels, which gives these cookies a unique balance. [b][i]Ingredients:[/b][/i] [LIST] [*]1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick) [*]1/2 cup brown sugar [*]1/4 cup granulated sugar [*]1 large egg [*]2 teaspoons vanilla extract [*]1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour [*]1 teaspoon cornstach [*]1/2 teaspoon baking soda [*]1/2 cup of semi-sweet baking M&Ms [*]1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips [*]1 cup of pretzel sticks, broken into smaller chunks [/LIST] [b][i]Instructions:[/b][/i] [LIST] [*]Mix the butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla [*]Add in the flour, cornstarch and baking soda [*]Stir in the pretzels, chocolate chips, and M&Ms and mix them thoroughly through the dough. If you want a more salty taste, add some extra salt in as well! [*]Use a spoon and measure out equal portions of dough. Roll each of these into a ball. [*]Place the balls of dough on a platter or in a plate and cover them and let them chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours. [*]Preheat oven to 350F and put spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray (or use parchment paper or foil as a base for the sheet) [*]Place dough balls on cookie sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart, make sure no pretzel is sticking out of the bottom or the dough, it can burn if too exposed on the cookie sheet. [*]Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are slightly brown. [*]Allow cookies to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/4PqzGJ9.jpg[/img]
Username: whamm

Entry Title: Rainbow Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies

Category: Sweet Sorrow

Theme: With an array of colors, these cookies highlight the entire spectrum of light, which makes them perfect for Brightshine Jubilee! The sweet of the sugar cookie base and semi-sweet of the chocolate chips and baking M&Ms is contrasted by the salt and cracker-like texture of the pretzels, which gives these cookies a unique balance.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cornstach
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of semi-sweet baking M&Ms
  • 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup of pretzel sticks, broken into smaller chunks

Instructions:
  • Mix the butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla
  • Add in the flour, cornstarch and baking soda
  • Stir in the pretzels, chocolate chips, and M&Ms and mix them thoroughly through the dough. If you want a more salty taste, add some extra salt in as well!
  • Use a spoon and measure out equal portions of dough. Roll each of these into a ball.
  • Place the balls of dough on a platter or in a plate and cover them and let them chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
  • Preheat oven to 350F and put spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray (or use parchment paper or foil as a base for the sheet)
  • Place dough balls on cookie sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart, make sure no pretzel is sticking out of the bottom or the dough, it can burn if too exposed on the cookie sheet.
  • Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are slightly brown.
  • Allow cookies to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

4PqzGJ9.jpg
@whamm Thank you for entering! :) I've linked your entry in the entry post.
@whamm Thank you for entering! :) I've linked your entry in the entry post.
[b]Username:[/b] whamm [b]Entry Title:[/b] Lemon Baked Catfish [b]Category:[/b] Sour Adversary [b]Theme:[/b] The Sour Adversary specifically asks for a fatty, acidic taste. This recipe merges the taste of fatty, buttered catfish fillets with the acidic citrusy taste of lemon. [b][i]Ingredients:[/i][/b] [LIST] [*]Catfish fillets (this works with multiple types of fish) [*]Olive oil [*]1/4 cup butter [*]1 clove minced garlic [*]2 1/2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice [*]Zest from 1 lemon [*]Salt and pepper [/LIST] [b][i]Instructions:[/i][/b] [LIST] [*]Preheat the oven to 425F. [*]Add oil to the base of your baking pan. [*]Add salt and pepper to both sides of the fish fillets and lay them out flat in the pan. [*]Melt the butter and mix it with minced garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest. [*]Pour the lemon mixture over each fillet. (add cut lemon slices on top if you want to have lemon pieces in the finished dish) [*]Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes. [*]Make sure your fish is completely cooked through and serve! (Add parsley to the finished dish for some extra pizzazz.) [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Gx2f3Hl.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/OAo0ZJU.jpg[/img]
Username: whamm

Entry Title: Lemon Baked Catfish

Category: Sour Adversary

Theme: The Sour Adversary specifically asks for a fatty, acidic taste. This recipe merges the taste of fatty, buttered catfish fillets with the acidic citrusy taste of lemon.

Ingredients:
  • Catfish fillets (this works with multiple types of fish)
  • Olive oil
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:
  • Preheat the oven to 425F.
  • Add oil to the base of your baking pan.
  • Add salt and pepper to both sides of the fish fillets and lay them out flat in the pan.
  • Melt the butter and mix it with minced garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest.
  • Pour the lemon mixture over each fillet. (add cut lemon slices on top if you want to have lemon pieces in the finished dish)
  • Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
  • Make sure your fish is completely cooked through and serve! (Add parsley to the finished dish for some extra pizzazz.)

Gx2f3Hl.jpg
OAo0ZJU.jpg
@/whamm (Skipping the ping since the last one was just before.) Thank you, added the second entry too. :)
@/whamm (Skipping the ping since the last one was just before.) Thank you, added the second entry too. :)
[b]Username:[/b] Eialyne [b]Entry Title:[/b] Revised Rojak [img]https://i.imgur.com/2rjfJ2b.jpg[/img] [b]Category:[/b] Sweet Sorrow [b]Theme:[/b] Minor backstory, but when I was in middle school I accidentaly stumbled accross the rather random combination of soy sauce anf kiwi, and for the longest time it remained the only way I'd eat that particular fruit. After seeing the description for the Sweet Sorrow category, I immediately wanted to do some sort of riff on fruit and soy sauce, which is what led me down the google recipie rabble hole to rojak, a southeast Asian fruit salad. There's a kick of spice as well, but for the most part the sweetness of the mango and pineapple harmonize well with the saltier ingredients that make up the sauce. The remaining ingredients, while not as flavorful, add a variety of textures to every bite you take. [b]Disclaimer:[/b] I titled this dish "Revised Rojak" because I had to take some liberties and substitue out ingredients due to either availability or, in the case of one, forgetting to go out and buy it and had to make due with what the CVS accross the street had in stock. While I did do some research to determine best recomendations for these substitutions, I also haven't had rojak before so I couldn't tell you how truely accurate this is. I found the end result tasty, but someone with a lot more Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore cuisine experience might be moaning in frustration at my choices. [u]Ingredients[/u] [LIST] [*]3 cubes deep fried tofu (I bought it pre-fried; if you make it yourself about half a standard block should do) [*]3oz dried pineapple [*]Water for boiling [*]1/2 green mango [*]1/2 jicama [*]1 small cucumber (about pickling size) [*]roasted sesame seeds [*]1/2 tbsp hoisin [*]1/2 tbsp sambal oelek [*]1 tsp + an extra splash fish sauce [*]1/2 tbsp soy sauce [*]1 tbsp sugar [*]1/2 tbsp miso [/LIST] [u]Steps[/u] [LIST=1] [*]Dump your dried pineapple in a large bowl and pour boiling water over it. Let stand for about 15min, though it won't hurt to go longer. [url=https://i.imgur.com/mY2L9XT.jpg]Once reconstituted[/url], set aside in a collander or on a paper towel while prepping other ingredients [*]Unless you freshly fried it yoruself, crisp up all sides of the tofu in a pan (oil not necessary since you're just toasting them, but non-stick pans do make this easier). Set it aside to cool [*]Peel and [s]pull apart with your bare hands because you never paid attention to how your Trinidadian cousin prepared the damn things[/s] cube mango. [*]Peel and cube jicama [*]Cube cucumber without peeling [*]Tofu should now be cool enough to handle, so slice these up (or you can cube it if you want more bite sized peices). [*]Combine all prepared ingredients so far in large bowl. [url=https://i.imgur.com/BTmDa1S.jpg]Try to avoid wondering where on earth the mini toasts[/url] came from before remembering tofu [*]In a smaller bowl, combine all remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds, for the sauce. Depending on how thick the miso paste is you may need to do some aggressive mixing to get the lumps out as much as possible. [*]Pour sauce over fruit and friends and carefuly mix until the sauce is evenly distributed [*]Top with roasted sesame seeds and enjoy! [/LIST]
Username: Eialyne

Entry Title: Revised Rojak

2rjfJ2b.jpg

Category: Sweet Sorrow

Theme: Minor backstory, but when I was in middle school I accidentaly stumbled accross the rather random combination of soy sauce anf kiwi, and for the longest time it remained the only way I'd eat that particular fruit. After seeing the description for the Sweet Sorrow category, I immediately wanted to do some sort of riff on fruit and soy sauce, which is what led me down the google recipie rabble hole to rojak, a southeast Asian fruit salad. There's a kick of spice as well, but for the most part the sweetness of the mango and pineapple harmonize well with the saltier ingredients that make up the sauce. The remaining ingredients, while not as flavorful, add a variety of textures to every bite you take.

Disclaimer: I titled this dish "Revised Rojak" because I had to take some liberties and substitue out ingredients due to either availability or, in the case of one, forgetting to go out and buy it and had to make due with what the CVS accross the street had in stock. While I did do some research to determine best recomendations for these substitutions, I also haven't had rojak before so I couldn't tell you how truely accurate this is. I found the end result tasty, but someone with a lot more Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore cuisine experience might be moaning in frustration at my choices.

Ingredients
  • 3 cubes deep fried tofu (I bought it pre-fried; if you make it yourself about half a standard block should do)
  • 3oz dried pineapple
  • Water for boiling
  • 1/2 green mango
  • 1/2 jicama
  • 1 small cucumber (about pickling size)
  • roasted sesame seeds
  • 1/2 tbsp hoisin
  • 1/2 tbsp sambal oelek
  • 1 tsp + an extra splash fish sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp miso

Steps
  1. Dump your dried pineapple in a large bowl and pour boiling water over it. Let stand for about 15min, though it won't hurt to go longer. Once reconstituted, set aside in a collander or on a paper towel while prepping other ingredients
  2. Unless you freshly fried it yoruself, crisp up all sides of the tofu in a pan (oil not necessary since you're just toasting them, but non-stick pans do make this easier). Set it aside to cool
  3. Peel and pull apart with your bare hands because you never paid attention to how your Trinidadian cousin prepared the damn things cube mango.
  4. Peel and cube jicama
  5. Cube cucumber without peeling
  6. Tofu should now be cool enough to handle, so slice these up (or you can cube it if you want more bite sized peices).
  7. Combine all prepared ingredients so far in large bowl. Try to avoid wondering where on earth the mini toasts came from before remembering tofu
  8. In a smaller bowl, combine all remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds, for the sauce. Depending on how thick the miso paste is you may need to do some aggressive mixing to get the lumps out as much as possible.
  9. Pour sauce over fruit and friends and carefuly mix until the sauce is evenly distributed
  10. Top with roasted sesame seeds and enjoy!
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7