Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ] 2021 Cooking Contest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The contest is now open! Please feel free to post. :)
The contest is now open! Please feel free to post. :)
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
:D This looks fun!

I hopefully I'll have some more time to make a dish TuT <3

F9No6Gk.png
[quote name="HollowBay" date="2021-06-20 01:28:13" ] :D This looks fun! I hopefully I'll have some more time to make a dish TuT <3 [/quote] Yay! Looking forward to your dish, time- and energy-willing :)
HollowBay wrote on 2021-06-20 01:28:13:

Yay! Looking forward to your dish, time- and energy-willing :)
Oh!! Now this is an interesting challenge and I'm already brainstorming ideas :3 Time to start researching ways I can utilize them in actual dishes.
Oh!! Now this is an interesting challenge and I'm already brainstorming ideas :3 Time to start researching ways I can utilize them in actual dishes.
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[quote name="Eialyne" date="2021-06-20 08:41:33" ] Oh!! Now this is an interesting challenge and I'm already brainstorming ideas :3 Time to start researching ways I can utilize them in actual dishes. [/quote] Ooh, ideas! [emoji=gold star size=1] Good luck with the research. :)
Eialyne wrote on 2021-06-20 08:41:33:

Ooh, ideas! Good luck with the research. :)
So, this is not an entry, but I wanted to share what I did today. I play a [url=https://poppyseedpets.com]different pet game[/url] that I love, and June 22 is its birthday. (It runs on UTC time, so it's already birthday time.) I didn't think of it earlier so it involved some very last minute planning, but this morning I suddenly thought that I should celebrate its anniversary by baking a pie inspired by [url=https://poppyseedpets.com/poppyopedia/item/Slice%20of%20Poppy%20Seed*%20Pie]an in-game pie that is handed out during the game's birthday[/url]. Since it's a special celebration pie, it has all of the flavors that are on the in-game foods: earthy, fruity, tannic, spicy, creamy, meaty, planty, fishy, floral, fatty, oniony, and chemically. (Pets have different favorite flavors, and that pie would satisfy any of them.) So I decided to make a savory pie that contained all of the in-game flavors while still tasting good (since I have to eat it). I have since eaten it to celebrate the game's birthday, and I consider it a success! The pie crust is made of flour, butter, shortening, ice cold water, and a pinch of salt. The yellow filling is made of potato, egg, onions, spring onions, garlic, romano + parmesan cheese, black pepper, and rosemary, with a dash of fish sauce. The top layer also has romano + parmesan cheese. The green layer in the middle is spinach. The garnish has lime zest, apple slices, and poppy seeds. (The game's name is Poppy Seed Pets, so I totally had to add the poppy seeds!) And the white dollop is whipped cream cheese. Here is the in-game picture: [img]https://imgur.com/g1TpV5b.png[/img] And here are pictures of my pie: [img]https://i.imgur.com/ygQzZ2N.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/HAt3QQP.png[/img]
So, this is not an entry, but I wanted to share what I did today. I play a different pet game that I love, and June 22 is its birthday. (It runs on UTC time, so it's already birthday time.)

I didn't think of it earlier so it involved some very last minute planning, but this morning I suddenly thought that I should celebrate its anniversary by baking a pie inspired by an in-game pie that is handed out during the game's birthday. Since it's a special celebration pie, it has all of the flavors that are on the in-game foods: earthy, fruity, tannic, spicy, creamy, meaty, planty, fishy, floral, fatty, oniony, and chemically. (Pets have different favorite flavors, and that pie would satisfy any of them.)

So I decided to make a savory pie that contained all of the in-game flavors while still tasting good (since I have to eat it). I have since eaten it to celebrate the game's birthday, and I consider it a success!

The pie crust is made of flour, butter, shortening, ice cold water, and a pinch of salt.

The yellow filling is made of potato, egg, onions, spring onions, garlic, romano + parmesan cheese, black pepper, and rosemary, with a dash of fish sauce. The top layer also has romano + parmesan cheese.

The green layer in the middle is spinach.

The garnish has lime zest, apple slices, and poppy seeds. (The game's name is Poppy Seed Pets, so I totally had to add the poppy seeds!) And the white dollop is whipped cream cheese.

Here is the in-game picture:

g1TpV5b.png

And here are pictures of my pie:

ygQzZ2N.png

HAt3QQP.png
@Sylvandyr 1. That looks amazing! A nice replica of the game art too! 2. I'm really amused that that's what you were up to yesterday, as I too was cooking for a celebration! I have a silly little "fictional birthday" cooking project, and yesterday was one of said birthdays. Did a tea-poached salmon [img]https://i.imgur.com/WnpHQGQ.png[/img]
@Sylvandyr

1. That looks amazing! A nice replica of the game art too!

2. I'm really amused that that's what you were up to yesterday, as I too was cooking for a celebration! I have a silly little "fictional birthday" cooking project, and yesterday was one of said birthdays. Did a tea-poached salmon

WnpHQGQ.png
@Eialyne Ooooh, that looks super tasty! Are those glass noodles made from tapioca or something else? (I think tapioca is my personal favorite.)

I can't tell too well from the photo and may be imagining things, but is that a tiny Kaito Kid keychain in the background?
@Eialyne Ooooh, that looks super tasty! Are those glass noodles made from tapioca or something else? (I think tapioca is my personal favorite.)

I can't tell too well from the photo and may be imagining things, but is that a tiny Kaito Kid keychain in the background?
@Sylvandyr They're sweet potato based actualy! Which I didn't even know was an option for glass noodles but it was the only one available in the grocery store I went to. They're not quite as chewy as the ones I've had before, which I presume were mostly of the tapioca variety.

And you are partialy right on the keychain XD While yesterday was Kaito's birthday I don't actualy have proper KID merch (mostly because when I buy it it's usualy for one of my friends rather than myself), and made due with my "Conan Dressed as KID" keychain instead.
@Sylvandyr They're sweet potato based actualy! Which I didn't even know was an option for glass noodles but it was the only one available in the grocery store I went to. They're not quite as chewy as the ones I've had before, which I presume were mostly of the tapioca variety.

And you are partialy right on the keychain XD While yesterday was Kaito's birthday I don't actualy have proper KID merch (mostly because when I buy it it's usualy for one of my friends rather than myself), and made due with my "Conan Dressed as KID" keychain instead.
@Eialyne Ah, makes sense! I personally rarely see the tapioca type available, the other types (like mung bean or potato/sweet potato as you mentioned) seem more common to me. At least they’re all good. :)

Do you happen to know what kind of grocery store you go to (Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, something else?) I tend to really like the Vietnamese ones for a wide range of ingredients and some specialized southeast Asian ingredients, but the other types also have some good specialty ingredients if you want specific things.

The Chinese one close to me is good for the different types of flour and starch that I need for various buns / noodles / desserts, and I can buy cheap shumai wrappers there without spending ages rolling them paper thin and cutting them by hand. There are so many and it takes so long that I have to leave some in the fridge and do them in stages. The one thing I did like about the homemade wrappers is that I could make them more petite, but honestly the storebought brand I like is so cheap and high quality that I’d rather buy those to save my arms from the strain.

Oops, I ended up rambling. Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things!
@Eialyne Ah, makes sense! I personally rarely see the tapioca type available, the other types (like mung bean or potato/sweet potato as you mentioned) seem more common to me. At least they’re all good. :)

Do you happen to know what kind of grocery store you go to (Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, something else?) I tend to really like the Vietnamese ones for a wide range of ingredients and some specialized southeast Asian ingredients, but the other types also have some good specialty ingredients if you want specific things.

The Chinese one close to me is good for the different types of flour and starch that I need for various buns / noodles / desserts, and I can buy cheap shumai wrappers there without spending ages rolling them paper thin and cutting them by hand. There are so many and it takes so long that I have to leave some in the fridge and do them in stages. The one thing I did like about the homemade wrappers is that I could make them more petite, but honestly the storebought brand I like is so cheap and high quality that I’d rather buy those to save my arms from the strain.

Oops, I ended up rambling. Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7