Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] Insight
1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 21
@HenryJekyll Dibs on Mariela!
@HenryJekyll Dibs on Mariela!
nudX0O8.png

Please click these little guys, it takes way too long to hatch them.
@CirrusAscending
Got it! I'll send her your way here shortly!
@CirrusAscending
Got it! I'll send her your way here shortly!
gQ7u2pY.pnglIvZUb1.png47O9KMz.png
@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez

Figured I should give a more formal announcement this time since it's been a couple days. Saturday I was too drained after work. Yesterday I was socially drained thanks to extended interactions forced upon me by family. Today I'm just out of it and getting a headache before I've even had a chance to start writing.

I apologize for being so drained as of late. This may lead to an unnecessary mini hiatus until I get to feeling better. I promise this isn't intentional and I'll try and get back into this as soon as I can.
@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez

Figured I should give a more formal announcement this time since it's been a couple days. Saturday I was too drained after work. Yesterday I was socially drained thanks to extended interactions forced upon me by family. Today I'm just out of it and getting a headache before I've even had a chance to start writing.

I apologize for being so drained as of late. This may lead to an unnecessary mini hiatus until I get to feeling better. I promise this isn't intentional and I'll try and get back into this as soon as I can.
[center][b]Day 82[/b] [item=Mirage Puffer Spines] [b]Content Warnings:[/b] Isolation, Gaslighting [/center] “Zylen you’ve been still all morning. Everything alright?” Zylen couldn’t tell if Elanor’s words were genuine or to keep up the facade she was forced to wear around their Spiral companion. Of course if he put in the effort he’d probably be able to properly read the Tundra, but he remained plastered to his bedding, staring blankly at a wall. Since arriving at the clan the night before, the Fae had been dreading the inevitable interaction he was to partake in. Apollyon had certainly taken notice of his mood change, as had Elanor, but this was the first time either had directly addressed it. Dragging himself to sit up, his gaze shifted to the floor, avoiding direct eye contact the best he could. After a minute, he brought himself to answer, “I think I’ll be. Mariela’s death has left me thinking, and not in a good way as you’ve seen. I’ll get better with time.” It was a lie to himself. Time likely wouldn’t make things better. “No time to think,” Apollyon spoke this time, “Have blueprints to grab. Have to return home. Write report for professor.” “How do I expect you two to understand?” he half muttered, “Apollyon grew up in a clan of death, and Elanor, you…” he trailed, gesturing instead of talking about how she had grown accustomed to such things. “ He sighed, fans dropping against his head and neck, “Not to mention that Saile apparently [i]expects[/i] these things to happen to us without a care. Death is another part of our jobs now I guess. Get used to it or leave.” “Zylen,” Apollyon stared at him with the same expressionless eyes as usual, “Elanor may be fine. I may be fine. But you are not fine. Not being fine is okay. Hang in there. Others will help.” He spotted a small smile form on the Spiral’s face, “Come on. Have task to complete. Get home early. Can rest early. Talk with others.” “Right,” Zylen remained frowning, but mustered the energy to raise his fans. Taking a deep breath, he rose to his feet, taking to the air not long after. Remembering why he was there to begin with, he took in another shaky breath, “Mind if I go out for a bit? To clear my head. I’ll meet both of you at the workshop.” Elanor gave a pleasant smile, her eyes sympathetic, “Of course. Take your time. We’ll regroup there when you’re ready.” Her voice was gentle as she spoke, but he couldn’t help but feel like it was forced. Something only said because she couldn’t speak her mind with their Spiral companion nearby. For once he was grateful for the eerie dragon’s presence. Slowly nodding, Zylen drifted out and away from the small guest house assigned to them. Remembering the notes provided to him, he drifted in and out of the small roads and alleys separating the various residential homes around him. Eventually he found what was known as the inventor’s district, denoted by the patchwork nature of the many workshops and homes within. However, it didn’t take long for him to locate his target. The home was as guarded as warned about. Iron shutters covered the windows and rudimentary cameras had been haphazardly placed around the front and back doors to track potential intruders. Thick coils of wire that weaved in and out of the house were tightly bound and sealed to prevent entry in such a fashion as well. Some sort of strange radio dish adorned the top of the structure that, while functional, had been messily assembled. It was nigh impossible to make out activity from the inside, but the passing of a shadow proved the owner to be present and active. Better now than never, Zylen took a deep breath, trying to figure out how to tackle the assignment. He attempted to reach for that part of his magic that he knew would make things easier. To bring him into that loss of control. If there was one thing he liked, it was that whatever took over knew what it was doing. When that failed his heart sunk as he was forced to acknowledge he was going to have to voluntarily do this. So, the first thing he did was test the front door. Surprising no one, it was locked, and as the cameras whirred to life, he heard the homeowner dart about inside. Taking a deep breath, he moved out of sight of the cameras, doing his best to disguise himself with magic within the shadows of what few bushes remained around the area. If the owner emerged to investigate, perhaps he’d have his chance. Sure enough, in a stroke of luck, a frazzled Wildclaw emerged, peering about restlessly. In the brief moment he had, Zylen scurried in, keeping away from the tired dragon’s legs the best he could. Once inside, he ignored the mess cluttering the space in favor of finding a place to hunker down and think of a plan. Watching the bipedal dragon stifle a yawn, it didn’t take much for him to realize that they hadn’t slept well, heavy bags under their eyes and practically dragging themselves about the room. He wondered how long they’d been awake for briefly before refocusing his attention on why he was there in the first place. After a bit of thinking, looking across monitors and following wires, he finally came up with a plan he believed would work. Waiting for them to start preparing a meal, the Fae weaved between wires, boxes, and scrap metal, following them to a collection of various power sources. Once located, he made quick work of turning off and unplugging as much as possible, using the former method as often as possible. Quickly catching on, the larger dragon began rushing about, only to stumble and fall, knocking themselves unconscious as their head collided with one of the many devices littering the room with a heavy thud. Finishing the job and taking deep breaths to calm himself, Zylen prepared for the next step. Finding the body easily with his nocturnal vision, he perched on a desktop, hiding himself in Shadow magic once more. He didn’t waste time as he sensed his victim waking up, “About time you woke up, [i]Nick[/i].” The Wildclaw rose to his feet. “What do you want with me? Did that damned institute send you?” he grumbled, groaning in pain. Zylen did his best attempt at sounding sinister, instinctively raising his fans along with it, “No one sent me. I’m just that little voice you ignore. The one you refuse to accept.” Hopefully the paranoid dragon would believe him. “Like hell you are!” The larger dragon lunged at the desk the Fae was perched at. Such a clumsy attempt allowed him plenty of time to take off, finding a new spot to watch from. His attacker groaned in pain as more metal cut into him, the recluse holding him arm as he stood back up. “Now now, that’s not going to accomplish anything Nick,” Zylen found himself smiling as he remembered details given to him on this individual, “That [i]is[/i] what you wanted your friends to call you right? You know, if you bothered to [i]keep[/i] any.” Another lunge that once again left the Wildclaw cut up and the Fae perfectly safe and watching from a new spot. “What? Can the confident and correct Nikolai not even trust himself anymore? No wonder you’ve locked yourself from the world.” “Shut. Up!” Nikolai roared in response, beginning to tear apart the entire room in search of the voice he was hearing. Something Zylen could easily avoid being caught in by stepping into another room. When the larger dragon finished, the Fae found a new perch, watching the isolated dragon breath heavily as blood coursed from many new wounds. “Maybe I should have left you alone. Look what a little attempt at reason does to you. No wonder everyone avoids you.” “Shut up!” The Wildclaw began to cry, attempting to hide his pain with anger, “Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!” He covered his ears, “You know nothing! So shut up! Get out of my head!” Watching the Wildclaw ball up in the middle of the chaotic mess of his own creation, Zylen took a risk. Carefully rising from his perch, he used magic to float around behind the larger dragon. Holding his head close to Nikolai’s, he whispered the last words he had to tell the panicked inventor. “I know why you hate them. Why you’re innocent. How to prove your innocence. But if you will not have me, you will not have your answers. Farewell.” Nearly breaking the facade due to nerves, he did his best to smoothly move away from the larger dragon as he swatted about his head for the Fae. He finally got the results he needed as the Wildclaw finally broke down. Begging for help. Begging for answers. Frantic apologies for never listening. For never trusting. But he would receive no more from the Fae. His job there was done. And as the Wildclaw wailed, he quietly slipped out the front door, alarms and cameras now deactivated. Nikolai would never know of his presence. Swallowing every ounce of emotion on the way back to the other two, Zylen had no time to think over the new wave of guilt beginning to fill his body. The best he could do was hide it away. Use what he had learned to betray his true feelings to the others. He would flare his fins out in greeting, eyes smiling as if his walk really did clear his head. Act as though he was ready to tackle the rest of the day with energy he frankly did not have. And they believed every moment of it. The relief in Elanor’s expression as tension was released was genuine. Apollyon’s brief one-over of the Fae before eagerly preparing to enter the workshop. The positivity in their small talk as they discussed what might be found on the blueprints. There was no hint of suspicion. No idea that inside Zylen’s nerves threatened to make him sick. That he was forcing down tears as he forced back thoughts about how he had ruined another dragon’s life. At least when he saw the blueprints he had something new to draw his attention. At first he didn’t think much of them. The three of them grabbed them without a second glance, aware of the discomfort of the clan member watching over them. Prying about possibly receiving anything else was met with aggressive refusals. So much so that even Elanor knew better than to press her luck a second time. Once they had left and began their trip back to the portal, he took to looking over them in detail, and what he saw appalled him. What he noted as simplistic machines, including a generator, weren't odd. Schematics for such things weren’t uncommon, especially when it came to making a device to suit one’s own needs. That’s what Elanor told him at least. But as he looked closer at the notes, he saw notes on how to make such things at least partially organic. And the more he looked into what the creator was attempting, the more and more it sickened him. He put away the papers not long after. He had enough on his mind already. --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian I'm back! Minor content warning for this due to Zylen doing a yikes. [s]I hope I used the word gaslighting correctly cause it's a word I know but swear I've heard like three different definitions for. Also let me know other warnings if need-be because again I'm unsure for this. There's gore and then there's psychological manipulation.[/s] Last week was [i]rough[/i] on me. Wednesday and Saturday wound up having me work over 10 hours thanks to it being after a holiday on top of my group having exceptions. I'll be paid good but man if that didn't take a toll on me physically as well as mentally. That said, I had fun writing what Zylen had to do today. Definitely will have not so great consequences in the upcoming days. Also definitely something I wanted to give at least a little warning about. I'll also cover those notes mentioned at the end as well. I didn't want to leave today's writing off at what I had Zylen do because of what is in these blueprints. Hopefully I'll have a good opportunity to go in-depth with them tomorrow.
Day 82
Mirage Puffer Spines
Content Warnings: Isolation, Gaslighting

“Zylen you’ve been still all morning. Everything alright?” Zylen couldn’t tell if Elanor’s words were genuine or to keep up the facade she was forced to wear around their Spiral companion. Of course if he put in the effort he’d probably be able to properly read the Tundra, but he remained plastered to his bedding, staring blankly at a wall.

Since arriving at the clan the night before, the Fae had been dreading the inevitable interaction he was to partake in. Apollyon had certainly taken notice of his mood change, as had Elanor, but this was the first time either had directly addressed it. Dragging himself to sit up, his gaze shifted to the floor, avoiding direct eye contact the best he could. After a minute, he brought himself to answer, “I think I’ll be. Mariela’s death has left me thinking, and not in a good way as you’ve seen. I’ll get better with time.” It was a lie to himself. Time likely wouldn’t make things better.

“No time to think,” Apollyon spoke this time, “Have blueprints to grab. Have to return home. Write report for professor.”

“How do I expect you two to understand?” he half muttered, “Apollyon grew up in a clan of death, and Elanor, you…” he trailed, gesturing instead of talking about how she had grown accustomed to such things. “ He sighed, fans dropping against his head and neck, “Not to mention that Saile apparently expects these things to happen to us without a care. Death is another part of our jobs now I guess. Get used to it or leave.”

“Zylen,” Apollyon stared at him with the same expressionless eyes as usual, “Elanor may be fine. I may be fine. But you are not fine. Not being fine is okay. Hang in there. Others will help.” He spotted a small smile form on the Spiral’s face, “Come on. Have task to complete. Get home early. Can rest early. Talk with others.”

“Right,” Zylen remained frowning, but mustered the energy to raise his fans. Taking a deep breath, he rose to his feet, taking to the air not long after. Remembering why he was there to begin with, he took in another shaky breath, “Mind if I go out for a bit? To clear my head. I’ll meet both of you at the workshop.”

Elanor gave a pleasant smile, her eyes sympathetic, “Of course. Take your time. We’ll regroup there when you’re ready.” Her voice was gentle as she spoke, but he couldn’t help but feel like it was forced. Something only said because she couldn’t speak her mind with their Spiral companion nearby. For once he was grateful for the eerie dragon’s presence.

Slowly nodding, Zylen drifted out and away from the small guest house assigned to them. Remembering the notes provided to him, he drifted in and out of the small roads and alleys separating the various residential homes around him. Eventually he found what was known as the inventor’s district, denoted by the patchwork nature of the many workshops and homes within. However, it didn’t take long for him to locate his target.

The home was as guarded as warned about. Iron shutters covered the windows and rudimentary cameras had been haphazardly placed around the front and back doors to track potential intruders. Thick coils of wire that weaved in and out of the house were tightly bound and sealed to prevent entry in such a fashion as well. Some sort of strange radio dish adorned the top of the structure that, while functional, had been messily assembled. It was nigh impossible to make out activity from the inside, but the passing of a shadow proved the owner to be present and active.

Better now than never, Zylen took a deep breath, trying to figure out how to tackle the assignment. He attempted to reach for that part of his magic that he knew would make things easier. To bring him into that loss of control. If there was one thing he liked, it was that whatever took over knew what it was doing. When that failed his heart sunk as he was forced to acknowledge he was going to have to voluntarily do this.

So, the first thing he did was test the front door. Surprising no one, it was locked, and as the cameras whirred to life, he heard the homeowner dart about inside. Taking a deep breath, he moved out of sight of the cameras, doing his best to disguise himself with magic within the shadows of what few bushes remained around the area. If the owner emerged to investigate, perhaps he’d have his chance. Sure enough, in a stroke of luck, a frazzled Wildclaw emerged, peering about restlessly. In the brief moment he had, Zylen scurried in, keeping away from the tired dragon’s legs the best he could.

Once inside, he ignored the mess cluttering the space in favor of finding a place to hunker down and think of a plan. Watching the bipedal dragon stifle a yawn, it didn’t take much for him to realize that they hadn’t slept well, heavy bags under their eyes and practically dragging themselves about the room. He wondered how long they’d been awake for briefly before refocusing his attention on why he was there in the first place. After a bit of thinking, looking across monitors and following wires, he finally came up with a plan he believed would work.

Waiting for them to start preparing a meal, the Fae weaved between wires, boxes, and scrap metal, following them to a collection of various power sources. Once located, he made quick work of turning off and unplugging as much as possible, using the former method as often as possible. Quickly catching on, the larger dragon began rushing about, only to stumble and fall, knocking themselves unconscious as their head collided with one of the many devices littering the room with a heavy thud. Finishing the job and taking deep breaths to calm himself, Zylen prepared for the next step. Finding the body easily with his nocturnal vision, he perched on a desktop, hiding himself in Shadow magic once more.

He didn’t waste time as he sensed his victim waking up, “About time you woke up, Nick.”

The Wildclaw rose to his feet. “What do you want with me? Did that damned institute send you?” he grumbled, groaning in pain.

Zylen did his best attempt at sounding sinister, instinctively raising his fans along with it, “No one sent me. I’m just that little voice you ignore. The one you refuse to accept.” Hopefully the paranoid dragon would believe him.

“Like hell you are!” The larger dragon lunged at the desk the Fae was perched at. Such a clumsy attempt allowed him plenty of time to take off, finding a new spot to watch from. His attacker groaned in pain as more metal cut into him, the recluse holding him arm as he stood back up.

“Now now, that’s not going to accomplish anything Nick,” Zylen found himself smiling as he remembered details given to him on this individual, “That is what you wanted your friends to call you right? You know, if you bothered to keep any.”

Another lunge that once again left the Wildclaw cut up and the Fae perfectly safe and watching from a new spot. “What? Can the confident and correct Nikolai not even trust himself anymore? No wonder you’ve locked yourself from the world.”

“Shut. Up!” Nikolai roared in response, beginning to tear apart the entire room in search of the voice he was hearing. Something Zylen could easily avoid being caught in by stepping into another room. When the larger dragon finished, the Fae found a new perch, watching the isolated dragon breath heavily as blood coursed from many new wounds.

“Maybe I should have left you alone. Look what a little attempt at reason does to you. No wonder everyone avoids you.”

“Shut up!” The Wildclaw began to cry, attempting to hide his pain with anger, “Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!” He covered his ears, “You know nothing! So shut up! Get out of my head!”

Watching the Wildclaw ball up in the middle of the chaotic mess of his own creation, Zylen took a risk. Carefully rising from his perch, he used magic to float around behind the larger dragon. Holding his head close to Nikolai’s, he whispered the last words he had to tell the panicked inventor. “I know why you hate them. Why you’re innocent. How to prove your innocence. But if you will not have me, you will not have your answers. Farewell.” Nearly breaking the facade due to nerves, he did his best to smoothly move away from the larger dragon as he swatted about his head for the Fae.

He finally got the results he needed as the Wildclaw finally broke down. Begging for help. Begging for answers. Frantic apologies for never listening. For never trusting. But he would receive no more from the Fae. His job there was done. And as the Wildclaw wailed, he quietly slipped out the front door, alarms and cameras now deactivated. Nikolai would never know of his presence.

Swallowing every ounce of emotion on the way back to the other two, Zylen had no time to think over the new wave of guilt beginning to fill his body. The best he could do was hide it away. Use what he had learned to betray his true feelings to the others. He would flare his fins out in greeting, eyes smiling as if his walk really did clear his head. Act as though he was ready to tackle the rest of the day with energy he frankly did not have.

And they believed every moment of it. The relief in Elanor’s expression as tension was released was genuine. Apollyon’s brief one-over of the Fae before eagerly preparing to enter the workshop. The positivity in their small talk as they discussed what might be found on the blueprints. There was no hint of suspicion. No idea that inside Zylen’s nerves threatened to make him sick. That he was forcing down tears as he forced back thoughts about how he had ruined another dragon’s life.

At least when he saw the blueprints he had something new to draw his attention.

At first he didn’t think much of them. The three of them grabbed them without a second glance, aware of the discomfort of the clan member watching over them. Prying about possibly receiving anything else was met with aggressive refusals. So much so that even Elanor knew better than to press her luck a second time. Once they had left and began their trip back to the portal, he took to looking over them in detail, and what he saw appalled him.

What he noted as simplistic machines, including a generator, weren't odd. Schematics for such things weren’t uncommon, especially when it came to making a device to suit one’s own needs. That’s what Elanor told him at least. But as he looked closer at the notes, he saw notes on how to make such things at least partially organic. And the more he looked into what the creator was attempting, the more and more it sickened him.

He put away the papers not long after. He had enough on his mind already.

@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian

I'm back! Minor content warning for this due to Zylen doing a yikes. I hope I used the word gaslighting correctly cause it's a word I know but swear I've heard like three different definitions for. Also let me know other warnings if need-be because again I'm unsure for this. There's gore and then there's psychological manipulation.

Last week was rough on me. Wednesday and Saturday wound up having me work over 10 hours thanks to it being after a holiday on top of my group having exceptions. I'll be paid good but man if that didn't take a toll on me physically as well as mentally.

That said, I had fun writing what Zylen had to do today. Definitely will have not so great consequences in the upcoming days. Also definitely something I wanted to give at least a little warning about. I'll also cover those notes mentioned at the end as well. I didn't want to leave today's writing off at what I had Zylen do because of what is in these blueprints. Hopefully I'll have a good opportunity to go in-depth with them tomorrow.
[center][b]Day 83[/b] [item=Venomous Fly][/center] Zylen didn’t want to contribute to the report. Mentally processing his actions from yesterday was only possible thanks to the blueprints and time alone. Talking to Micah and having to lie about the event would only reopen that wound. As Apollyon returned to the library to retrieve him, he could already feel his stomach tighten with unease. Hopefully the interview would be quick. As he opened the door to the Veilspun’s office however, he was nearly struck by a rogue bolt of magic. Seconds later the pest almost trampled him, fleeing the room and around a corner before the Fae had time to catch his breath. Rushing inside, he found the scribe picking up scattered papers, pens, and inkwells, seemingly uninjured as he cursed quietly to himself. Aiding in the cleanup, he did his best to ignore the damage to the room caused by the scuffle, remaining focused on why he was there. Straightening up the desk, Micah laid out the blueprints from the day before, still as unsettling as the first time Zylen laid eyes on them. With both relaxed, Micah began his questioning, “I take it the trip to the clan was uneventful?” Zylen nodded, “Outside of focusing on, well, [i]that[/i], yeah. I think my presence helped us out of the industry’s building a little quicker. They questioned the changes to my look, but didn’t care too much. Although…” He paused, “I’m not sure it’s noteworthy for the report, but one of our escorts clearly knew Elanor and did a poor job hiding it. Certainly something I may bring up with her at a later date.” “Noted,” Micah paused, ears perking up slightly, “Not for the report. More if you return to update me on how that goes.” He scribbled down a bit on an extra sheet of paper before addressing Zylen again, “Any reason you weren’t able to retrieve the blueprints the same day you arrived?” “Scuffle with a group of Longnecks. Nearly broke out in an all-out brawl, but thankfully we managed to convince them we meant no harm. Sun was beginning to set by the time we arrived, and we decided to check in and save retrieval and examination for the following morning. We were greeted warmly and after explaining why we were there, given a place to stay for the night.” “Alright, lines up…” the Veiled trailed off as he once again focused on writing, “Any details about the Longneck group or the clan you wanted to share?” “Well, Elanor would have the best details about the Longnecks. I tried to keep my distance the entire time. As for the clan, it was quite substantial. Different little quadrants based on what was being worked on or built, and there was even a small power plant located on the outskirts. I believe I read somewhere once that in Lightning clan’s that’s a sign of prosperity?” “It is,” Micah interrupted, “Elanor brought similar attention to it. Anything else that drew your eye?” “Not really,” Zylen was being mostly honest here. Outside of Nikolai’s home, with its patchwork design filled with metal and technology, he couldn’t quite tell the other homes and workplaces apart. “Elanor had to bring up some details when I went on my walk so I knew where to join up at if I couldn’t see them.” “About that,” the Veilspun looked up from his writing, claw still gripped on the pen he used, “The others told me you weren’t feeling the best. I won’t pry because I know why, but anything happen on that walk? Apollyon told me you were gone for longer than he expected.” Zylen felt his fans instinctively fall as his encounter with the reclusive Wildclaw reemerged. He rushed out a lie, “A [i]lot[/i] of thinking. I needed that time alone. Didn’t return until my headspace was clear.” He averted his gaze as he spoke, hoping the implication that he was thinking of Mariela was conveyed. He wasn’t sure how he’d handle being caught in a lie right now. “Understandable,” Micah finished writing, putting aside the pen briefly, “Such information holds no place in this report. You’re free to tell me more, but nothing further will be written in.” “Thank you,” Zylen raised his fans again, “Can we discuss the blueprints now?” “Of course. Please do provide your best explanation for what’s on them.” He flipped through the blueprints, looking at the mundane designs combined with the unsettling notes. Swallowing nervously, he spoke up, “I’m no engineer or architect or whoever would make such things. However, I can tell these were initially designed to be made out of metal. Handwriting on the more normal notes and the ones involving...organics are the same. Which means whoever made the blueprints is also responsible for the notes too. I couldn’t tell you what drove them to such a morbid change though.” Micah let out a sigh, “I don’t suspect you have an idea what these machines were used for?” “Not in the slightest. I take it not even Elanor could help?” A brisk shake of his head, “She had vague ideas from past experiences, but I’m afraid nothing further.” “Anything else you’d like to ask?” “Not at this time. I’ll find you if something comes to mind,” with a wave of his claw, Micah dismissed Zylen, pulling out the higher quality paper for the final report. “Well, you know where I’m likely to be.” Zylen took his leave, intent on returning to the library to distract himself with his work. He was nearly there when he was intercepted by Clancy, the Pearlcatcher nearly pinning him to the wall as she did so. As she glared him down, he could see traces of oil caked around her mouth, a foul stench roiling from her breaths. Something that only became harder to ignore as she finally spoke up, “What did you do to Mariela?” Her voice bitter and harsh, the Fae nearly forgot about her close monitoring of him and his behaviors. He returned the hostility, “Clancy now is not the time. Micah’s writing a report and I have to write Saile a letter at this time.” “And what do you need to write to [i]him[/i] about?” Clancy bared her teeth, partially stained black with more of the oil. “You know exactly why Clancy. Don’t play dumb.” The much larger dragon quickly lashed out, clenching her normal claw around his much smaller body. While her grip was tight, she held no intent on fully crushing her coworker, instead holding him in place. He could feel anger radiating from her now, “Don’t you [i]dare[/i] act like you needed to feed. I saw how you were after Mariela’s death! What. Did. You. [i]Do[/i].” Fans flaring in and out in fear, Zylen’s scattered thoughts left him unable to think of a good lie. Instead he blurted out the only thing he could think of in the moment, “Clancy I didn’t have control! I promise on my life I didn’t do what I did on purpose! I wanted to [i]help[/i] her I swear.” He felt himself be thrown across the hall towards the library, letting out a pained cry as he struck the ground. Groaning in pain, he did his best to recover quickly, preparing to attack the Pearlcatcher if she continued the assault. Instead, he watched her flare out her wings briefly before storming off. In the glimpse he got of her braced arm in the process, he could tell something was off, but was unable to tell what. He turned and looked back at the door, shaky. The thoughts from the past few days began to flood his mind again, and with it the emotional toll that came with them. Staggering into the library, he found his way to this office, locking the door behind him. Taking a moment to decompress, crying once again over the pain he’d caused, he wished he could explain to someone why he did what he had to. Judging from Clancy’s reaction, he doubted he’d be able to now. Not without facing the consequences. Sighing, he wiped away his tears, returning to the task at hand. As much as he hated to, he had a letter to write. --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian Had to drag myself through some of the writing, hence the later posting than usual, but another day down! Team was Zylen, Micah, and Howl, and only Howl gained a level. Today reminded me how brutal the Forgotten Cave is and I'm very surprised I didn't lose anyone. Though this did happen and I about screamed: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537772951647289375/887494852412080209/Screen_Shot_2021-09-14_at_8.27.32_PM.png[/img] Howl only lived because his turn came after Zylen and Micah's so he didn't suffer the bleed damage. Not much to talk about today plotwise other than some small setups. Rolls said the pest attacks Micah, and I wanted to set up Zylen for a Talk™ with someone in the cast. Still haven't decided if I'm going to have him speak to Elanor, Howl, or Clancy, even if the ending appeared to set up for Clancy. I can see him talking to any of the three about what happened.
Day 83
Venomous Fly

Zylen didn’t want to contribute to the report. Mentally processing his actions from yesterday was only possible thanks to the blueprints and time alone. Talking to Micah and having to lie about the event would only reopen that wound. As Apollyon returned to the library to retrieve him, he could already feel his stomach tighten with unease. Hopefully the interview would be quick.

As he opened the door to the Veilspun’s office however, he was nearly struck by a rogue bolt of magic. Seconds later the pest almost trampled him, fleeing the room and around a corner before the Fae had time to catch his breath. Rushing inside, he found the scribe picking up scattered papers, pens, and inkwells, seemingly uninjured as he cursed quietly to himself. Aiding in the cleanup, he did his best to ignore the damage to the room caused by the scuffle, remaining focused on why he was there.

Straightening up the desk, Micah laid out the blueprints from the day before, still as unsettling as the first time Zylen laid eyes on them. With both relaxed, Micah began his questioning, “I take it the trip to the clan was uneventful?”

Zylen nodded, “Outside of focusing on, well, that, yeah. I think my presence helped us out of the industry’s building a little quicker. They questioned the changes to my look, but didn’t care too much. Although…” He paused, “I’m not sure it’s noteworthy for the report, but one of our escorts clearly knew Elanor and did a poor job hiding it. Certainly something I may bring up with her at a later date.”

“Noted,” Micah paused, ears perking up slightly, “Not for the report. More if you return to update me on how that goes.” He scribbled down a bit on an extra sheet of paper before addressing Zylen again, “Any reason you weren’t able to retrieve the blueprints the same day you arrived?”

“Scuffle with a group of Longnecks. Nearly broke out in an all-out brawl, but thankfully we managed to convince them we meant no harm. Sun was beginning to set by the time we arrived, and we decided to check in and save retrieval and examination for the following morning. We were greeted warmly and after explaining why we were there, given a place to stay for the night.”

“Alright, lines up…” the Veiled trailed off as he once again focused on writing, “Any details about the Longneck group or the clan you wanted to share?”

“Well, Elanor would have the best details about the Longnecks. I tried to keep my distance the entire time. As for the clan, it was quite substantial. Different little quadrants based on what was being worked on or built, and there was even a small power plant located on the outskirts. I believe I read somewhere once that in Lightning clan’s that’s a sign of prosperity?”

“It is,” Micah interrupted, “Elanor brought similar attention to it. Anything else that drew your eye?”

“Not really,” Zylen was being mostly honest here. Outside of Nikolai’s home, with its patchwork design filled with metal and technology, he couldn’t quite tell the other homes and workplaces apart. “Elanor had to bring up some details when I went on my walk so I knew where to join up at if I couldn’t see them.”

“About that,” the Veilspun looked up from his writing, claw still gripped on the pen he used, “The others told me you weren’t feeling the best. I won’t pry because I know why, but anything happen on that walk? Apollyon told me you were gone for longer than he expected.”

Zylen felt his fans instinctively fall as his encounter with the reclusive Wildclaw reemerged. He rushed out a lie, “A lot of thinking. I needed that time alone. Didn’t return until my headspace was clear.” He averted his gaze as he spoke, hoping the implication that he was thinking of Mariela was conveyed. He wasn’t sure how he’d handle being caught in a lie right now.

“Understandable,” Micah finished writing, putting aside the pen briefly, “Such information holds no place in this report. You’re free to tell me more, but nothing further will be written in.”

“Thank you,” Zylen raised his fans again, “Can we discuss the blueprints now?”

“Of course. Please do provide your best explanation for what’s on them.”

He flipped through the blueprints, looking at the mundane designs combined with the unsettling notes. Swallowing nervously, he spoke up, “I’m no engineer or architect or whoever would make such things. However, I can tell these were initially designed to be made out of metal. Handwriting on the more normal notes and the ones involving...organics are the same. Which means whoever made the blueprints is also responsible for the notes too. I couldn’t tell you what drove them to such a morbid change though.”

Micah let out a sigh, “I don’t suspect you have an idea what these machines were used for?”

“Not in the slightest. I take it not even Elanor could help?”

A brisk shake of his head, “She had vague ideas from past experiences, but I’m afraid nothing further.”

“Anything else you’d like to ask?”

“Not at this time. I’ll find you if something comes to mind,” with a wave of his claw, Micah dismissed Zylen, pulling out the higher quality paper for the final report.

“Well, you know where I’m likely to be.” Zylen took his leave, intent on returning to the library to distract himself with his work.

He was nearly there when he was intercepted by Clancy, the Pearlcatcher nearly pinning him to the wall as she did so. As she glared him down, he could see traces of oil caked around her mouth, a foul stench roiling from her breaths. Something that only became harder to ignore as she finally spoke up, “What did you do to Mariela?” Her voice bitter and harsh, the Fae nearly forgot about her close monitoring of him and his behaviors.

He returned the hostility, “Clancy now is not the time. Micah’s writing a report and I have to write Saile a letter at this time.”

“And what do you need to write to him about?” Clancy bared her teeth, partially stained black with more of the oil.

“You know exactly why Clancy. Don’t play dumb.”

The much larger dragon quickly lashed out, clenching her normal claw around his much smaller body. While her grip was tight, she held no intent on fully crushing her coworker, instead holding him in place. He could feel anger radiating from her now, “Don’t you dare act like you needed to feed. I saw how you were after Mariela’s death! What. Did. You. Do.”

Fans flaring in and out in fear, Zylen’s scattered thoughts left him unable to think of a good lie. Instead he blurted out the only thing he could think of in the moment, “Clancy I didn’t have control! I promise on my life I didn’t do what I did on purpose! I wanted to help her I swear.”

He felt himself be thrown across the hall towards the library, letting out a pained cry as he struck the ground. Groaning in pain, he did his best to recover quickly, preparing to attack the Pearlcatcher if she continued the assault. Instead, he watched her flare out her wings briefly before storming off. In the glimpse he got of her braced arm in the process, he could tell something was off, but was unable to tell what.

He turned and looked back at the door, shaky. The thoughts from the past few days began to flood his mind again, and with it the emotional toll that came with them. Staggering into the library, he found his way to this office, locking the door behind him. Taking a moment to decompress, crying once again over the pain he’d caused, he wished he could explain to someone why he did what he had to. Judging from Clancy’s reaction, he doubted he’d be able to now. Not without facing the consequences.

Sighing, he wiped away his tears, returning to the task at hand. As much as he hated to, he had a letter to write.

@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian

Had to drag myself through some of the writing, hence the later posting than usual, but another day down! Team was Zylen, Micah, and Howl, and only Howl gained a level. Today reminded me how brutal the Forgotten Cave is and I'm very surprised I didn't lose anyone.

Though this did happen and I about screamed:
Screen_Shot_2021-09-14_at_8.27.32_PM.png
Howl only lived because his turn came after Zylen and Micah's so he didn't suffer the bleed damage.

Not much to talk about today plotwise other than some small setups. Rolls said the pest attacks Micah, and I wanted to set up Zylen for a Talk™ with someone in the cast. Still haven't decided if I'm going to have him speak to Elanor, Howl, or Clancy, even if the ending appeared to set up for Clancy. I can see him talking to any of the three about what happened.
[center][b]Day 84[/b] [item=Dried Lilium Petals][/center] Zylen found himself in the hedge maze the next morning. Skipping breakfast, he wanted to enjoy the cold morning air and the light fog filling the grounds. Knowing how much the others valued their first meal of the day, he believed he’d be left alone. Ever since his return, he had very little time to himself. While he enjoyed the company, it gave him little time to himself. Time he needed to slowly unpack the past week. Of course, even this excursion was short-lived. Almost expectantly, Howl emerged into the courtyard at the center of the hedge maze, carrying a bowl in one of his claws as he did so. “Hungry?” he offered, holding up what Zylen could now make out to be a salad garnished with insects. “No thank you,” he politely declined, “Not that hungry this morning.” It wasn’t a lie. While he certainly needed the food, he had no appetite whatsoever. “Okay,” the furred dragon took a seat near where the smaller dragon had perched, placing the bowl beside him. After a moment, he caught the Tundra smiling, “I’m happy you’re doing better. I missed your scent.” “Pardon?” The comment took the Fae off guard. He took a moment to relax his fans some, “Sorry. I know it’s a Tundra thing, but what do you mean?” “Elanor’s never mentioned it to you?” Howl was confused now, “She’s so polite. The kind of dragon who would tell you that.” Embarrassed now, he fumbled with his claws before speaking again, “Well, I guess your smell sort of disappeared?” “How did you even…?” “Because I was worried Zylen!” Howl blurted out, fur standing on end, “I’ve been ever since I rescued you from drowning. Your scent changed after that. It’s lighter now. But it drifts in and out and that’s what worries me most.” “I’m sorry Howl. I didn’t realize-” Zylen’s attempt to calm the flustered dragon was broken by an intrusion from him, “Zylen as a guard I’m supposed to keep all of you safe. But what if I can’t [i]find[/i] you? You about drowned before, and now I can’t track your scent easily anymore. I don’t care if I [i]like[/i] it more. That means nothing if I can’t-” The Tundra suddenly covered his mouth, rising not long after. Without another word, he darted out of the courtyard, leaving Zylen alone once again. Sighing, wondering what that was all about, the Fae picked up the salad that had been left behind, nibbling on it some. His solitude was short-lived as he was soon joined by Clancy. Seeing the scowl on her face, she had undoubtedly ran into the Tundra in his rushed state, and wasn’t taking it well. Slowly taking another bite as they locked eyes, he wondered which one of them would speak up first. Instead of conversation to break the tension, it was shattered as Clancy lunged at the Fae, letting out an angry cry as she did so. On his toes after yesterday, Zylen dropped the bowl, not hesitating to barrage the larger dragon with strike after strike of shadow magic. Using his small size and minor experience to his advantage, he avoided being caught, slowly whittling down the increasingly angry historian as she practically flailed in hopes of snagging him at least once. As the action died down, Zylen took a perch on top of the maze, breathing heavily as he watched the Pearlcatcher rise to her feet. “You really are cruel,” she panted, “Not a care for any of us after all.” “Oh [i]shut up[/i] would you?” his smaller pair of fins twitched with anger as the others remained fully flared out, “You run in here and instead of asking questions you try and [i]attack[/i] me. Of course I’m going to defend myself.” He caught Clancy hiding her braced arm by pulling up her sleeve and clutching the limb close to her chest. She remained staring at him maliciously, clearly planning another attack as they subtly looked around at her surroundings. “Then what was [i]that[/i] about?” “Unlike [i]you[/i], Howl’s concerned for me. Wanted to inform me about my scent or whatever. I don’t know what he started to say, but he left before he could finish. [i]That’s[/i] why he was running like that, not whatever [i]atrocity[/i] your mind made up.” He prepared himself for another attack from the Pearlcatcher, “Now, are we going to talk about this in a civil fashion, or are we going to repeat this song and dance?” Growling, Clancy whipped her head to the side, finding a spot at one of the stone benches. Still agitated, she spoke her mind again, “What happened to Mariela?” she questioned, “You are [i]not[/i] getting out of this. I won’t stop until I know.” Seeing her behavior the past couple days, he didn’t want to challenge the claim, “I...I was there. For the entire thing.” Another glare was enough to get him to clarify, “I wasn’t in control. I saw this happen and instead of any agency, I followed it because there was nothing better to distract me. When Apollyon chased the pest, Mariela was fatally injured and I….I” He felt himself choking up as he remembered the events that followed. “You [i]fed[/i] on her,” Clancy’s voice was cold. Accusatory. “I didn’t have a choice!” “Like hell you didn’t! What happened to you being the reasonable one Zylen?” “And I remember you being the same way! What good either of us have been for that!” “At least I didn’t watch my friend die!” Clancy flared her wings out, standing up to intimidate the Fae, “If you wanted to [i]help[/i] her so badly, why did you let her die? How could you let her [i]die[/i], Zylen?” He ignored the tears welling up in the Pearlcatcher’s eyes, as well as his own, “Because we’re not the same Clancy! I don’t get paranoid and angry and irrational! I stop caring about [i]everyone[/i]! I don’t care who lives and who dies. I only care about [i]suffering[/i], and no matter what I do I can’t [i]stop[/i] that. No amount of hiding myself can change that. Only keep the rest of you away.” “....Would you for Meir?” her choice of words bitter, she struck the heart of the Fae. “Don’t you [i]dare[/i] bring him into this Clancy!” “[i]Answer the damn question Zylen![/i]” Zylen’s fans dropped as he caught onto what the historian was conveying to him, “I...I…” “Then why can’t you do the same for [i]everyone[/i]? Make the same promise to yourself like [i]I[/i] have? A promise like the one I made to myself after meeting Mariela.” Still crying, he watched the Pearlcatcher heave momentarily before spitting the same oily tar as usual. “Don’t hurt [i]us[/i] Zylen. Please. Promise no harm will come to us, no matter what.” Wiping tears from her face, Zylen finally got a look at the Pearlcatcher’s braced arm as she meandered off, expression somber. Instead of the dark patchy scales that the brace wrapped around, he only caught the shiny glint of metal. The missing adjustment straps further confirmed what his eyes had seen. He may have not been aware of the two’s relationship, but in the short time they knew each other, they had clearly grown close. A relationship he no longer held. He looked down at his own claws and the unnatural swirling white etched into them. He thought of Mariela. Of her last moments. Of his actions in those last moments. Of the lack of feelings and motivation leading up to it. Could he really stop himself from repeating the act, if only for his coworkers? He clenched those same claws. He’d do it for them. It was the least he could do. -------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian [s]aaaaaaa italics are back[/s] Got ideas at work. Decided to let them speak for themselves today. [s]I also don't feel like unpacking everything. Today was a [i]long[/i] day.[/s] Anyways, 'weekly' document update! [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537779856474243072/887904678212415539/Screen_Shot_2021-09-15_at_11.35.50_PM.png[/img] Yep, we're approaching 150k pretty quick.
Day 84
Dried Lilium Petals

Zylen found himself in the hedge maze the next morning. Skipping breakfast, he wanted to enjoy the cold morning air and the light fog filling the grounds. Knowing how much the others valued their first meal of the day, he believed he’d be left alone. Ever since his return, he had very little time to himself. While he enjoyed the company, it gave him little time to himself. Time he needed to slowly unpack the past week.

Of course, even this excursion was short-lived. Almost expectantly, Howl emerged into the courtyard at the center of the hedge maze, carrying a bowl in one of his claws as he did so. “Hungry?” he offered, holding up what Zylen could now make out to be a salad garnished with insects.

“No thank you,” he politely declined, “Not that hungry this morning.” It wasn’t a lie. While he certainly needed the food, he had no appetite whatsoever.

“Okay,” the furred dragon took a seat near where the smaller dragon had perched, placing the bowl beside him. After a moment, he caught the Tundra smiling, “I’m happy you’re doing better. I missed your scent.”

“Pardon?” The comment took the Fae off guard. He took a moment to relax his fans some, “Sorry. I know it’s a Tundra thing, but what do you mean?”

“Elanor’s never mentioned it to you?” Howl was confused now, “She’s so polite. The kind of dragon who would tell you that.” Embarrassed now, he fumbled with his claws before speaking again, “Well, I guess your smell sort of disappeared?”

“How did you even…?”

“Because I was worried Zylen!” Howl blurted out, fur standing on end, “I’ve been ever since I rescued you from drowning. Your scent changed after that. It’s lighter now. But it drifts in and out and that’s what worries me most.”

“I’m sorry Howl. I didn’t realize-”

Zylen’s attempt to calm the flustered dragon was broken by an intrusion from him, “Zylen as a guard I’m supposed to keep all of you safe. But what if I can’t find you? You about drowned before, and now I can’t track your scent easily anymore. I don’t care if I like it more. That means nothing if I can’t-” The Tundra suddenly covered his mouth, rising not long after. Without another word, he darted out of the courtyard, leaving Zylen alone once again.

Sighing, wondering what that was all about, the Fae picked up the salad that had been left behind, nibbling on it some. His solitude was short-lived as he was soon joined by Clancy. Seeing the scowl on her face, she had undoubtedly ran into the Tundra in his rushed state, and wasn’t taking it well. Slowly taking another bite as they locked eyes, he wondered which one of them would speak up first.

Instead of conversation to break the tension, it was shattered as Clancy lunged at the Fae, letting out an angry cry as she did so. On his toes after yesterday, Zylen dropped the bowl, not hesitating to barrage the larger dragon with strike after strike of shadow magic. Using his small size and minor experience to his advantage, he avoided being caught, slowly whittling down the increasingly angry historian as she practically flailed in hopes of snagging him at least once. As the action died down, Zylen took a perch on top of the maze, breathing heavily as he watched the Pearlcatcher rise to her feet.

“You really are cruel,” she panted, “Not a care for any of us after all.”

“Oh shut up would you?” his smaller pair of fins twitched with anger as the others remained fully flared out, “You run in here and instead of asking questions you try and attack me. Of course I’m going to defend myself.”

He caught Clancy hiding her braced arm by pulling up her sleeve and clutching the limb close to her chest. She remained staring at him maliciously, clearly planning another attack as they subtly looked around at her surroundings. “Then what was that about?”

“Unlike you, Howl’s concerned for me. Wanted to inform me about my scent or whatever. I don’t know what he started to say, but he left before he could finish. That’s why he was running like that, not whatever atrocity your mind made up.” He prepared himself for another attack from the Pearlcatcher, “Now, are we going to talk about this in a civil fashion, or are we going to repeat this song and dance?”

Growling, Clancy whipped her head to the side, finding a spot at one of the stone benches. Still agitated, she spoke her mind again, “What happened to Mariela?” she questioned, “You are not getting out of this. I won’t stop until I know.”

Seeing her behavior the past couple days, he didn’t want to challenge the claim, “I...I was there. For the entire thing.” Another glare was enough to get him to clarify, “I wasn’t in control. I saw this happen and instead of any agency, I followed it because there was nothing better to distract me. When Apollyon chased the pest, Mariela was fatally injured and I….I” He felt himself choking up as he remembered the events that followed.

“You fed on her,” Clancy’s voice was cold. Accusatory.

“I didn’t have a choice!”

“Like hell you didn’t! What happened to you being the reasonable one Zylen?”

“And I remember you being the same way! What good either of us have been for that!”

“At least I didn’t watch my friend die!” Clancy flared her wings out, standing up to intimidate the Fae, “If you wanted to help her so badly, why did you let her die? How could you let her die, Zylen?”

He ignored the tears welling up in the Pearlcatcher’s eyes, as well as his own, “Because we’re not the same Clancy! I don’t get paranoid and angry and irrational! I stop caring about everyone! I don’t care who lives and who dies. I only care about suffering, and no matter what I do I can’t stop that. No amount of hiding myself can change that. Only keep the rest of you away.”

“....Would you for Meir?” her choice of words bitter, she struck the heart of the Fae.

“Don’t you dare bring him into this Clancy!”

Answer the damn question Zylen!

Zylen’s fans dropped as he caught onto what the historian was conveying to him, “I...I…”

“Then why can’t you do the same for everyone? Make the same promise to yourself like I have? A promise like the one I made to myself after meeting Mariela.” Still crying, he watched the Pearlcatcher heave momentarily before spitting the same oily tar as usual. “Don’t hurt us Zylen. Please. Promise no harm will come to us, no matter what.”

Wiping tears from her face, Zylen finally got a look at the Pearlcatcher’s braced arm as she meandered off, expression somber. Instead of the dark patchy scales that the brace wrapped around, he only caught the shiny glint of metal. The missing adjustment straps further confirmed what his eyes had seen. He may have not been aware of the two’s relationship, but in the short time they knew each other, they had clearly grown close. A relationship he no longer held.

He looked down at his own claws and the unnatural swirling white etched into them. He thought of Mariela. Of her last moments. Of his actions in those last moments. Of the lack of feelings and motivation leading up to it. Could he really stop himself from repeating the act, if only for his coworkers?

He clenched those same claws. He’d do it for them.

It was the least he could do.

aaaaaaa italics are back

Got ideas at work. Decided to let them speak for themselves today. I also don't feel like unpacking everything. Today was a long day.

Anyways, 'weekly' document update!
Screen_Shot_2021-09-15_at_11.35.50_PM.png
Yep, we're approaching 150k pretty quick.
[center][b]Day 85[/b] [item=Rusted Iron Pot] [b]Content Warnings: Being watched, Manipulation, Self-harm, Mutilation, Death[/b][/center] Zylen was awake far earlier than intended. With only the beginnings of dawn light breaking over the manor grounds, he found himself unable to fall back to sleep. He doubted his ability anyways, having a hard time getting comfortable and remaining that way the entire night. Dragging his body out of bed, he took his time getting cleaned up and dressed, making the decision that if he was going to be stuck awake, he’d be productive with the time. Drifting through the halls, the Fae kept an eye out for Tulu, wondering if there would be a chance encounter with the aspiring soldier. By the time he reached the entrance to the library however, he had seen no trace of the Wildclaw, disheartened some by not running across him. Still, he had work to start on, and better nothing than the pest he knew was very likely running through the mansion’s interior workings even now. What the Fae didn’t expect was to find a letter placed neatly on his desk. The pale red envelope’s edges were adorned with stylized vines, sometimes terminating in darker red flowers. Pulling it close, he could make out small blood stains, but unlike the purposely stained paper of the Red Wraith from before, these appeared accidental, small splotches that had attempted to be wiped away before they could be soaked into the paper fully. In rough handwriting, he made out the word “Librarian”. Flipping over the envelope revealed a wax seal of a flower he didn’t recognize. If he remembered to, he’d show it to Thorn. If it was based on an existing species, his fellow Fae would know. Opening the letter, the paper inside was a more typical white, but also adorned in a similar flowering vine pattern along its edges. The handwriting was hurried and of poor quality, and Zylen could make out more small bloodstains that had clearly not meant to be there. Before reading, he checked for any hidden notes, flipping the pages back and forth and also holding them up to the light. Finding nothing that would help identify the author, he took a deep breath, beginning to read the contents. [i]To Magpie Manor’s resident librarian, First, I must apologize for the handwriting. It has been some time since writing a request such as this, and I am in a terrible rush. A friend of mine informed me that the Manor has begun taking up staff again, yourself included. I wish I knew of this sooner, and found an earlier time to address you, but my work comes first and I have been terribly busy. As the manor’s librarian, I know you are supposed to take in requests to check out books as well as donations. Not that I can bother with visiting regardless of availability, but I’m hoping you can fulfill mine. The previous librarian was rather stingy with the manor’s collections, untrusting of others to borrow the various literary works. I’m hoping you will be a far more generous soul with such requests, and will not ignore this letter based on its nature alone. I require a copy of Parasitic Bioweapons for use at where I work. I recall your library possessing a copy, and I trust you to understand the urgency of my situation. In my current situation, many have been dying from a parasite I cannot identify, but should be present within the pages of this title. Please do make haste, as patients pass by the day, and soon even my life may be on the line. I have left a location for your courier to place the book. I do not wish to endanger you or others within the manor, so I’ve ensured that no harm or infection will come to them. I wish you the best, Rosemary[/i] The pain that erupted in Zylen’s body as he finished reading betrayed the entire tone of what he had read prior. As if stabbed with dozens of knives, he soon collapsed to the floor, writhing about and screaming in agony as it only worsened. He had no clue how much time passed before he began to feel it ebb away, allowing him to stand once more. Now unsure on whether or not to fulfill the request, he returned the letter to its corresponding envelope. Taking his recovery time to hunt down the requested book, Zylen also thought over what he had experienced moments prior. The author, up until he finished reading, at least conveyed themselves in a rather unexpected polite and friendly manner. Of course the pain he suffered was more expected given prior warning about the letters. It left him wondering why it had even been inlaid with the contents of the writing. As a threat? As a way of conveying the pain of the author’s patients? Regardless, the least he could do was hunt down the title. As it was not documented in his current catalogue, hunting down the encyclopedia took some time. While in the correct genre, it was out of place among the shelves, sorted by title rather than author. Setting it aside and flipping briefly through the book’s contents, he discovered nothing abnormal about it. While the topic was certainly nauseating to think about, there was nothing that suggested the title was like the other books separated from the main library. Taking a risk, he magically carried it outside the library, alongside the letter and a blank request form. If it was to be absent from the library for an unknown amount of time, he’d best document it. Explaining the location and purpose behind the delivery, he carefully handed over the book to the courier that had delivered the letter he had received before moving to the dining room. There, he waited until Thorn arrived, showing off the insignia on the wax seal to him. He watched his fellow Fae’s smaller fans twitch back and forth in mild frustration as he tried to draw clues from the paper’s decoration. The feeling hadn’t left by the time he addressed his thoughts, stating that he’d have to have more than stylized images to identify the flower on it. The best guess he had was a clemati, but the color and petal pattern didn’t quite line up with those on the paper and seal. Apologizing, he slid the envelope back over, to which Zylen quickly handed over to Elanor (with suitable warnings) to be filed away. Not long after, almost everyone else had gathered for breakfast, to which the letter containing the next assigned task was read aloud. One that likely would be completed within the day as Zylen overheard that they were to gather a relic from the Holland residence. While Saile was unknown if it was acquired in one of their trades or found elsewhere in the Icefields, he saw an opportunity in the discovery. The manor had changed much since the household had visited, and Micah, Elanor, and Jeremah were requested to meet with one of the residents and introduce themselves. A bit of worried conversation ensued as Zylen recalled his past encounter with Maria and how she behaved the last time they attempted to recover something from the family. As expected though, his experiences were brushed away as a one-time occurrence. Something that reminded him that out of everyone who would recall the event, only Clancy and Elanor remained. The former almost outwardly antagonized his caution with the task, while the latter was confident that even if something happened Jeremiah would be more than capable of handling it. As the Fae left the dining hall, he once again felt defeated and alone. For all his concerns and experiences, and his coworkers’ blatant caution with Saile after Elanor’s meeting with Fulgrin, they still believed him to be fully well-meaning. That despite the dangers posed by some of these tasks that the professor meant for them to be safe, and if not, capable of defending themselves from fatal harm. Disappointed, he returned to the library. He had work to do and for once he doubted he would be bothered. Feeling bitter from the lack of support, he needed something to distract his mind from the emotion. For once he wished he couldn’t feel emotions. As much as he welcomed the feelings of anger and frustration, at the same time it was all he had really felt since they had returned. He wanted to be happy. To be enjoying his return to a more normal state. Instead he was stressed and antagonized and forced to relive bad memories. Running his claws across a misplaced book on battle tactics, he relaxed. Sure, it felt like everyone may have been out to get him, but in reality, that wasn’t the case. Tulu and Howl cared about everyone, and while the former wasn’t present at breakfast, the latter had been the only one to have his back. Thinking back on that helped bring a much needed calm he was lacking in. He smiled. It was nice to have an ally again. --------------- He was writing and he was not alone. Micah hated dreams like this. Dreams back when he was with his swarm. Their judging eyes as they watched him record his findings. The subtle twitches in their manes and wings to force their feelings upon him. [i]Their[/i] desires. What [i]they[/i] wanted in his writing. What [i]they[/i] believed was right. It disgusted him but he had no choice. He was always meant to be in a group. That’s what he was born and raised into. One with a swarm. He never liked the influence others in a swarm could have, especially when members became irritated. It was either that or die. His kind was never meant to be alone. Doomed to die otherwise. But Saile had given him the way out he dreamed of. Free of prying eyes and forced opinions. All in exchange for the work he loved doing. Work that would allow him to be the individual he always wanted to be. With his own opinions finally conveyed through his writing. And all without the constant dread of falling into torpor and slowly dying. He always found himself focusing on his current life to get through such dreams. Where he couldn’t escape the prying eyes of his swarm. The changes in behavior forced him to write what wasn’t desired. The shift in mood as he flipped to page and didn’t return. The false joy that filled his body as the others were satisfied. Things were different this time though. As he finished, he expected the dream to drift off as it always had. Him merging back into the swarm to continue mundane work he’d never recall upon awakening. Instead, the urge to write was back. The pressing urge for him to [i]continue[/i]. To continue scribbling what the swarm desired. They had [i]so much[/i] they wanted him to write. So many secrets. So much knowledge. They forced him to write until he ran out of ink. Forcing him to use the blood of others. When paper ran out and the desk was too engraved to continue, they threw their bodies at him. And he could do nothing as they pressed their will upon him. He watched helplessly as he carved facts and information into their flesh and scales, even long after they passed on. On and on and on it continued until none remained. As he turned the quill upon himself, he caught a glimpse of the piles of bodies. There, in their still shifting manes, he could make out countless eyes. Watching. Waiting. They still had so much to tell him. And so little time. Micah woke up shivering on the floor. He wasted no time looking across his body for gouges. Frantically searching for the prying eyes of the nightmare from among his room. A panic that lasted no more than a few minutes as the cold seeped in, draining what little energy he had left. Fearing for his well-being, he quickly burrowed back into the pile of blankets on his bed, relaxing as he felt their warmth. Hiding himself within the depths of the enchanted fabric, he reminded himself it was all but a dream. Saile had promised comfort away from the swarm. And the professor was true to his word. He was safe here. He was able to be himself. Have friends and coworkers that didn’t judge him and his work. Didn’t influence him. He couldn’t be happier. Then why did the nightmares remain? Why? -------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian Finally, a mark that I think makes a ton of sense as Micah gets marked by The Eye. I also loved this entire nightmare sequence between giving a glimpse into Micah's life both before and after he was employed. He did not like his swarm and I think it's clear why now. [s]If anyone asks, he's spent a fair amount of his money on clothes enchanted in a similar fashion to his blankets. Let the man be warm and cozy.[/s] Other than that, I'll probably go over mission results tomorrow. It'll also be a bit before that letter and book come up again. [s]I somewhat roll to see who writes and so far it hasn't been anyone that would regularly contact the manor.[/s] In terms of personal feelings, I'm hoping to either get Tulu some training (you know, without dying) or another dragon for the cast. Also, as a head's up, a Death Streak involving Tulu and either Clancy or Zylen on the same team will automatically get him a double mark as starting at the Forgotten Cave, level 1s get one shot. While I will go on medium mode should this happen on a food pull solely so it's not an auto-death, I cannot do the same for Death Streaks. To further explain the medium-mode change, this is only for one or two levels, for which the dragon will only gain Vitality stats. I do this so they can survive, but to balance out the shift by making them unable to do much else in terms of damage and turns. I'm here to prevent unavoidable deaths the best I can without also providing an unfair advantage. That wall aside, I look forward to writing tomorrow. Fully expect to have a boring pull, but that's okay.
Day 85
Rusted Iron Pot
Content Warnings: Being watched, Manipulation, Self-harm, Mutilation, Death

Zylen was awake far earlier than intended. With only the beginnings of dawn light breaking over the manor grounds, he found himself unable to fall back to sleep. He doubted his ability anyways, having a hard time getting comfortable and remaining that way the entire night. Dragging his body out of bed, he took his time getting cleaned up and dressed, making the decision that if he was going to be stuck awake, he’d be productive with the time.

Drifting through the halls, the Fae kept an eye out for Tulu, wondering if there would be a chance encounter with the aspiring soldier. By the time he reached the entrance to the library however, he had seen no trace of the Wildclaw, disheartened some by not running across him. Still, he had work to start on, and better nothing than the pest he knew was very likely running through the mansion’s interior workings even now.

What the Fae didn’t expect was to find a letter placed neatly on his desk. The pale red envelope’s edges were adorned with stylized vines, sometimes terminating in darker red flowers. Pulling it close, he could make out small blood stains, but unlike the purposely stained paper of the Red Wraith from before, these appeared accidental, small splotches that had attempted to be wiped away before they could be soaked into the paper fully. In rough handwriting, he made out the word “Librarian”. Flipping over the envelope revealed a wax seal of a flower he didn’t recognize. If he remembered to, he’d show it to Thorn. If it was based on an existing species, his fellow Fae would know.

Opening the letter, the paper inside was a more typical white, but also adorned in a similar flowering vine pattern along its edges. The handwriting was hurried and of poor quality, and Zylen could make out more small bloodstains that had clearly not meant to be there. Before reading, he checked for any hidden notes, flipping the pages back and forth and also holding them up to the light. Finding nothing that would help identify the author, he took a deep breath, beginning to read the contents.

To Magpie Manor’s resident librarian,

First, I must apologize for the handwriting. It has been some time since writing a request such as this, and I am in a terrible rush. A friend of mine informed me that the Manor has begun taking up staff again, yourself included. I wish I knew of this sooner, and found an earlier time to address you, but my work comes first and I have been terribly busy.

As the manor’s librarian, I know you are supposed to take in requests to check out books as well as donations. Not that I can bother with visiting regardless of availability, but I’m hoping you can fulfill mine. The previous librarian was rather stingy with the manor’s collections, untrusting of others to borrow the various literary works. I’m hoping you will be a far more generous soul with such requests, and will not ignore this letter based on its nature alone.

I require a copy of Parasitic Bioweapons for use at where I work. I recall your library possessing a copy, and I trust you to understand the urgency of my situation. In my current situation, many have been dying from a parasite I cannot identify, but should be present within the pages of this title. Please do make haste, as patients pass by the day, and soon even my life may be on the line.

I have left a location for your courier to place the book. I do not wish to endanger you or others within the manor, so I’ve ensured that no harm or infection will come to them.

I wish you the best,

Rosemary

The pain that erupted in Zylen’s body as he finished reading betrayed the entire tone of what he had read prior. As if stabbed with dozens of knives, he soon collapsed to the floor, writhing about and screaming in agony as it only worsened. He had no clue how much time passed before he began to feel it ebb away, allowing him to stand once more. Now unsure on whether or not to fulfill the request, he returned the letter to its corresponding envelope.

Taking his recovery time to hunt down the requested book, Zylen also thought over what he had experienced moments prior. The author, up until he finished reading, at least conveyed themselves in a rather unexpected polite and friendly manner. Of course the pain he suffered was more expected given prior warning about the letters. It left him wondering why it had even been inlaid with the contents of the writing. As a threat? As a way of conveying the pain of the author’s patients? Regardless, the least he could do was hunt down the title.

As it was not documented in his current catalogue, hunting down the encyclopedia took some time. While in the correct genre, it was out of place among the shelves, sorted by title rather than author. Setting it aside and flipping briefly through the book’s contents, he discovered nothing abnormal about it. While the topic was certainly nauseating to think about, there was nothing that suggested the title was like the other books separated from the main library.

Taking a risk, he magically carried it outside the library, alongside the letter and a blank request form. If it was to be absent from the library for an unknown amount of time, he’d best document it. Explaining the location and purpose behind the delivery, he carefully handed over the book to the courier that had delivered the letter he had received before moving to the dining room. There, he waited until Thorn arrived, showing off the insignia on the wax seal to him.

He watched his fellow Fae’s smaller fans twitch back and forth in mild frustration as he tried to draw clues from the paper’s decoration. The feeling hadn’t left by the time he addressed his thoughts, stating that he’d have to have more than stylized images to identify the flower on it. The best guess he had was a clemati, but the color and petal pattern didn’t quite line up with those on the paper and seal. Apologizing, he slid the envelope back over, to which Zylen quickly handed over to Elanor (with suitable warnings) to be filed away.

Not long after, almost everyone else had gathered for breakfast, to which the letter containing the next assigned task was read aloud. One that likely would be completed within the day as Zylen overheard that they were to gather a relic from the Holland residence. While Saile was unknown if it was acquired in one of their trades or found elsewhere in the Icefields, he saw an opportunity in the discovery. The manor had changed much since the household had visited, and Micah, Elanor, and Jeremah were requested to meet with one of the residents and introduce themselves.

A bit of worried conversation ensued as Zylen recalled his past encounter with Maria and how she behaved the last time they attempted to recover something from the family. As expected though, his experiences were brushed away as a one-time occurrence. Something that reminded him that out of everyone who would recall the event, only Clancy and Elanor remained. The former almost outwardly antagonized his caution with the task, while the latter was confident that even if something happened Jeremiah would be more than capable of handling it.

As the Fae left the dining hall, he once again felt defeated and alone. For all his concerns and experiences, and his coworkers’ blatant caution with Saile after Elanor’s meeting with Fulgrin, they still believed him to be fully well-meaning. That despite the dangers posed by some of these tasks that the professor meant for them to be safe, and if not, capable of defending themselves from fatal harm.

Disappointed, he returned to the library. He had work to do and for once he doubted he would be bothered. Feeling bitter from the lack of support, he needed something to distract his mind from the emotion. For once he wished he couldn’t feel emotions. As much as he welcomed the feelings of anger and frustration, at the same time it was all he had really felt since they had returned. He wanted to be happy. To be enjoying his return to a more normal state. Instead he was stressed and antagonized and forced to relive bad memories.

Running his claws across a misplaced book on battle tactics, he relaxed. Sure, it felt like everyone may have been out to get him, but in reality, that wasn’t the case. Tulu and Howl cared about everyone, and while the former wasn’t present at breakfast, the latter had been the only one to have his back. Thinking back on that helped bring a much needed calm he was lacking in.

He smiled. It was nice to have an ally again.

He was writing and he was not alone.

Micah hated dreams like this. Dreams back when he was with his swarm. Their judging eyes as they watched him record his findings. The subtle twitches in their manes and wings to force their feelings upon him. Their desires. What they wanted in his writing. What they believed was right. It disgusted him but he had no choice.

He was always meant to be in a group. That’s what he was born and raised into. One with a swarm. He never liked the influence others in a swarm could have, especially when members became irritated. It was either that or die. His kind was never meant to be alone. Doomed to die otherwise.

But Saile had given him the way out he dreamed of. Free of prying eyes and forced opinions. All in exchange for the work he loved doing. Work that would allow him to be the individual he always wanted to be. With his own opinions finally conveyed through his writing. And all without the constant dread of falling into torpor and slowly dying.

He always found himself focusing on his current life to get through such dreams. Where he couldn’t escape the prying eyes of his swarm. The changes in behavior forced him to write what wasn’t desired. The shift in mood as he flipped to page and didn’t return. The false joy that filled his body as the others were satisfied.

Things were different this time though. As he finished, he expected the dream to drift off as it always had. Him merging back into the swarm to continue mundane work he’d never recall upon awakening. Instead, the urge to write was back. The pressing urge for him to continue. To continue scribbling what the swarm desired. They had so much they wanted him to write. So many secrets. So much knowledge.

They forced him to write until he ran out of ink. Forcing him to use the blood of others. When paper ran out and the desk was too engraved to continue, they threw their bodies at him. And he could do nothing as they pressed their will upon him. He watched helplessly as he carved facts and information into their flesh and scales, even long after they passed on. On and on and on it continued until none remained.

As he turned the quill upon himself, he caught a glimpse of the piles of bodies. There, in their still shifting manes, he could make out countless eyes. Watching. Waiting. They still had so much to tell him. And so little time.

Micah woke up shivering on the floor. He wasted no time looking across his body for gouges. Frantically searching for the prying eyes of the nightmare from among his room. A panic that lasted no more than a few minutes as the cold seeped in, draining what little energy he had left. Fearing for his well-being, he quickly burrowed back into the pile of blankets on his bed, relaxing as he felt their warmth. Hiding himself within the depths of the enchanted fabric, he reminded himself it was all but a dream.

Saile had promised comfort away from the swarm. And the professor was true to his word. He was safe here. He was able to be himself. Have friends and coworkers that didn’t judge him and his work. Didn’t influence him. He couldn’t be happier.

Then why did the nightmares remain? Why?

Finally, a mark that I think makes a ton of sense as Micah gets marked by The Eye. I also loved this entire nightmare sequence between giving a glimpse into Micah's life both before and after he was employed. He did not like his swarm and I think it's clear why now. If anyone asks, he's spent a fair amount of his money on clothes enchanted in a similar fashion to his blankets. Let the man be warm and cozy.

Other than that, I'll probably go over mission results tomorrow. It'll also be a bit before that letter and book come up again. I somewhat roll to see who writes and so far it hasn't been anyone that would regularly contact the manor. In terms of personal feelings, I'm hoping to either get Tulu some training (you know, without dying) or another dragon for the cast.

Also, as a head's up, a Death Streak involving Tulu and either Clancy or Zylen on the same team will automatically get him a double mark as starting at the Forgotten Cave, level 1s get one shot. While I will go on medium mode should this happen on a food pull solely so it's not an auto-death, I cannot do the same for Death Streaks. To further explain the medium-mode change, this is only for one or two levels, for which the dragon will only gain Vitality stats. I do this so they can survive, but to balance out the shift by making them unable to do much else in terms of damage and turns. I'm here to prevent unavoidable deaths the best I can without also providing an unfair advantage.

That wall aside, I look forward to writing tomorrow. Fully expect to have a boring pull, but that's okay.

Hey, no post tonight, but not for the usual reasons. I pulled a meat food item today, and looking at the time I have left today plus the time I have to get up tomorrow, I seriously don't have time to do 40 battles and write. At least not without losing a fair amount of sleep, which I sorta need to make it through Saturday sort. I apologize for this, and I promise I'm not avoiding a situation where my dragons could possibly die.

Also, since tomorrow is Saturday, there will likely be no post tomorrow as well due to how long my work day will be.

Hey, no post tonight, but not for the usual reasons. I pulled a meat food item today, and looking at the time I have left today plus the time I have to get up tomorrow, I seriously don't have time to do 40 battles and write. At least not without losing a fair amount of sleep, which I sorta need to make it through Saturday sort. I apologize for this, and I promise I'm not avoiding a situation where my dragons could possibly die.

Also, since tomorrow is Saturday, there will likely be no post tomorrow as well due to how long my work day will be.
[center][b]Day 86[/b] [item=Sunspot Sparrow][/center] After seeing everyone’s expressions upon returning the previous night, Zylen refrained from prying into the trio’s excursion. They returned with some sort of large bow and a quiver of arrows, which Apollyon promptly stashed away. Curious and somewhat concerned as to why this mission had taken so long, the Fae had stopped in his trip to get his nightly glass of water to eavesdrop. The three talked quietly for a few minutes before going their separate ways. Despite wanting to confront the three then and there, he knew it would only end poorly. Waiting until after lunch, he offered for Jeremiah to join him in another search of the theatre. There, where the two would be alone, he would have his chance to talk about yesterday’s events. Easing in with his side of things, with the letter and the request that came with it, he finally got his chance, “So, how did your meeting with the Hollands go?” Jeremiah immediately frowned as he pushed aside another rack of costumes, “I hated it. We all did.” Zylen stopped in his rifling through one of the filing cabinets they’d manage to free, “Care to elaborate? Also, was Maria there?” “Yeah, she was there,” the Banescale answered the latter first, “You and Meir did a number on her. Definitely scarred her for life. I felt the residual malice radiating off of her as she talked about being forced to escort us to the docks.” “The docks?” Zylen closed the cabinet, finding nothing of interest. His full attention was on the Ancient now, “I didn’t think the home was that close to a body of water.” “Oh it was certainly a walk through the woods to get there, but it was quite a sight. While for personal use, there were probably half a dozen trade ships there. Some in far more active use than others, but almost all of them were in great condition. Save for the one we boarded.” “Oh?” All but one of Zylen’s fans dropped as he pressed. “It was a much older ship than the others. Considering the Ridgeback who guided us insisted we call him Mister or Captain Holland instead of giving a first name, I’m guessing he was the current head of the family. Something Micah and Elanor agreed with me on when we returned. While the ship was clearly cared for like all the others, it was showing its age. Rust in various small places, plenty of dents and scratches from conflicts, and many smaller shipping containers that you rarely see around anymore.” “He took us below deck for what we were to recover, saying he acquired it from a regular ‘customer’ of the family. Something about how while the two were rivals, they still traded from time to time, especially when the institute or any of its affiliates were involved. Exchanging the item for some high quality weaponry and armor, he completed the trade and returned to the home so we could be informed.” “While certainly friendly, we could tell he didn’t want to be there. He tried to pass time between our journey by talking over any amount of silence. Brought up how when his father died he became the new owner of the ship. He also apologized for Maria’s behavior, stating his niece was a bit more aggressive than others in the family. Also recommended you never return because of what happened.” “Wait really?” Zylen interrupted the retelling as he was mentioned. “I assure he didn’t sound angry towards what you did. Heavily implied Maria may not take kindly to seeing you again though. She’s the one who greets everyone going through their portal after all. Now, where was I again?” “This captain’s ramblings before you got the item Saile sent you there for.” “Right,” Jeremiah paused, staring a bit intensely at the floor as he thought about yesterday, “All the rambling aside, it became clear tension was building. He didn’t want to be there and we were beginning to feel the same. Thankfully we arrived at what I can only describe as a vault. As he opened the door, he ordered us to stay put. From what little I glimpsed of the inside, I made out containers of various materials, but nothing else. He returned with a bow and quiver wrapped in some sort of leather cloth, which Elanor was quick to secure.” “The thing is that he didn’t warn us about anything with the bow. All he said was that it was old and came from some Wildclaw clan who took pride in their skills at hunting. He practically pushed us out, and soon we were headed back to the portal. Only, this is where things got really bad.” Refusing to elaborate at the moment, the two continued to search the room, finding nothing of note among what little they came across. The Banescale took note of a missing dress however, an empty hanger being the only one he remembered seeing away from the racks full of them. Thinking it some sort of clue, he dug through the dresses, taking note of the missing dress’s number and feeling for any hidden objects within the remaining ones. Eventually the two left the area, agreeing to move their search to the offices. Conversation picked back up not long after, “Our trip through the woods shouldn’t have lasted as long as it did. Then a fog rolled in. Before long we couldn’t see within a foot or so of each other. I watched Micah be ripped away from Elanor and myself, and before long a similar assault separated the two of us. I don’t know how long I was alone, preparing for an attack, but one never came. By the time it faded and I found myself back at the Holland Residence, the sun was setting. Elanor and Micah both joined me eventually, but unlike me, they had fought back against someone or something.” “I didn’t learn much from the other two until our meeting in the dining hall on return. Micah had been chased for some time and had run into a couple branches while keeping an eye out for his pursuer. Elanor had a similar experience, though when she stopped hearing footsteps, that’s when she stopped. She talked about the fog fading for her, and how she began towards the home, thinking she’d find us there.” “Only, we weren’t. As she continued, no one was around, even as she returned to the forest. Expecting a trap, she prepared for an ambush, but even when she found herself returning to the docks, it too was silent. There was no one where she saw bustling activity before. Even when she boarded one in search for dragons hiding within she found nothing. Once again she returned to the woods, only now picking up on a very faint scent.” “Without thinking she found herself drawing the bow she had stowed away. She refused to elaborate on what it was like to use beyond unnatural and wrong.” Jeremiah paused, sudden worry crossing his face, “She did state that while there was nothing visible for the arrow to hit as it left the bow, she knew it had struck the intended target. I don’t want to know what that entails. Not long after, she found Micah suffering from the cold, and after placing him in her scarf, walked back to me. Everything after that was normal. We were escorted back with no issues and the night continued as normal. We wrote the report this morning and sent Saile’s copy off.” Zylen couldn’t help but draw conclusions with his prior encounter with Maria. However, his absent rummaging through a desk had revealed something a bit more important. As he magically sifted through papers, he had accidentally extended his magic to the entire drawer. As he found himself moving the drawer, he discovered that there was a secondary compartment under the main one, only capable of being uncovered the exact way he had done. Carefully lifting the main ‘bucket’ out of the way, he revealed a key, placed on top of a piece of paper. Fans flared and waving with excitement, he found himself smiling. While the key most likely led to a room Elanor had unlocked, the paper contained multiple safe combinations. Figuring out who made the compilation and stowed it away was a new mystery he hoped to solve soon enough. “Zylen look out!” Jeremiah shouted, beginning to charge towards the smaller dragon. But it was too late. Struck from behind, the Fae was knocked from the air, head smacking hard against the floor. His mind swam briefly before he fell unconscious, unable to get a look at his attacker. All he would learn as he awoke in the infirmary was that he was alive. Concussed, but alive. ---------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian I'm kind of happy that Pink gave me another Meat item for today. Had a horribly panic-inducing team of Zylen, Tulu, and Jeremiah, but after getting a mob set with an Ancient Fungi and Runic Bat, everything was a bit less stressful. Everyone gained at least one level, with Tulu being level 8 now! So happy this was his debut into the Coli, despite how close of an eye I had to keep on him. [s]I say this like I almost lost Zylen [i]again[/i] because I am a fool and go after the Arcane Centaurs sometimes.[/s] Today was a bit of a filler day. I wanted to explore what happened to Jeremiah and the others since it wasn't as smooth as initially thought. Also wanted to show that Zylen still has a bit of trust in Jeremiah. Also, sorry if there's passing mentions or text that makes it appear like Apollyon was on that mission. My brain forgot it was Micah and not Apollyon as the third member and only remembered towards the end. I won't be surprised if I missed some stuff.
Day 86
Sunspot Sparrow

After seeing everyone’s expressions upon returning the previous night, Zylen refrained from prying into the trio’s excursion. They returned with some sort of large bow and a quiver of arrows, which Apollyon promptly stashed away. Curious and somewhat concerned as to why this mission had taken so long, the Fae had stopped in his trip to get his nightly glass of water to eavesdrop. The three talked quietly for a few minutes before going their separate ways.

Despite wanting to confront the three then and there, he knew it would only end poorly. Waiting until after lunch, he offered for Jeremiah to join him in another search of the theatre. There, where the two would be alone, he would have his chance to talk about yesterday’s events. Easing in with his side of things, with the letter and the request that came with it, he finally got his chance, “So, how did your meeting with the Hollands go?”

Jeremiah immediately frowned as he pushed aside another rack of costumes, “I hated it. We all did.”

Zylen stopped in his rifling through one of the filing cabinets they’d manage to free, “Care to elaborate? Also, was Maria there?”

“Yeah, she was there,” the Banescale answered the latter first, “You and Meir did a number on her. Definitely scarred her for life. I felt the residual malice radiating off of her as she talked about being forced to escort us to the docks.”

“The docks?” Zylen closed the cabinet, finding nothing of interest. His full attention was on the Ancient now, “I didn’t think the home was that close to a body of water.”

“Oh it was certainly a walk through the woods to get there, but it was quite a sight. While for personal use, there were probably half a dozen trade ships there. Some in far more active use than others, but almost all of them were in great condition. Save for the one we boarded.”

“Oh?” All but one of Zylen’s fans dropped as he pressed.

“It was a much older ship than the others. Considering the Ridgeback who guided us insisted we call him Mister or Captain Holland instead of giving a first name, I’m guessing he was the current head of the family. Something Micah and Elanor agreed with me on when we returned. While the ship was clearly cared for like all the others, it was showing its age. Rust in various small places, plenty of dents and scratches from conflicts, and many smaller shipping containers that you rarely see around anymore.”

“He took us below deck for what we were to recover, saying he acquired it from a regular ‘customer’ of the family. Something about how while the two were rivals, they still traded from time to time, especially when the institute or any of its affiliates were involved. Exchanging the item for some high quality weaponry and armor, he completed the trade and returned to the home so we could be informed.”

“While certainly friendly, we could tell he didn’t want to be there. He tried to pass time between our journey by talking over any amount of silence. Brought up how when his father died he became the new owner of the ship. He also apologized for Maria’s behavior, stating his niece was a bit more aggressive than others in the family. Also recommended you never return because of what happened.”

“Wait really?” Zylen interrupted the retelling as he was mentioned.

“I assure he didn’t sound angry towards what you did. Heavily implied Maria may not take kindly to seeing you again though. She’s the one who greets everyone going through their portal after all. Now, where was I again?”

“This captain’s ramblings before you got the item Saile sent you there for.”

“Right,” Jeremiah paused, staring a bit intensely at the floor as he thought about yesterday, “All the rambling aside, it became clear tension was building. He didn’t want to be there and we were beginning to feel the same. Thankfully we arrived at what I can only describe as a vault. As he opened the door, he ordered us to stay put. From what little I glimpsed of the inside, I made out containers of various materials, but nothing else. He returned with a bow and quiver wrapped in some sort of leather cloth, which Elanor was quick to secure.”

“The thing is that he didn’t warn us about anything with the bow. All he said was that it was old and came from some Wildclaw clan who took pride in their skills at hunting. He practically pushed us out, and soon we were headed back to the portal. Only, this is where things got really bad.”

Refusing to elaborate at the moment, the two continued to search the room, finding nothing of note among what little they came across. The Banescale took note of a missing dress however, an empty hanger being the only one he remembered seeing away from the racks full of them. Thinking it some sort of clue, he dug through the dresses, taking note of the missing dress’s number and feeling for any hidden objects within the remaining ones. Eventually the two left the area, agreeing to move their search to the offices.

Conversation picked back up not long after, “Our trip through the woods shouldn’t have lasted as long as it did. Then a fog rolled in. Before long we couldn’t see within a foot or so of each other. I watched Micah be ripped away from Elanor and myself, and before long a similar assault separated the two of us. I don’t know how long I was alone, preparing for an attack, but one never came. By the time it faded and I found myself back at the Holland Residence, the sun was setting. Elanor and Micah both joined me eventually, but unlike me, they had fought back against someone or something.”

“I didn’t learn much from the other two until our meeting in the dining hall on return. Micah had been chased for some time and had run into a couple branches while keeping an eye out for his pursuer. Elanor had a similar experience, though when she stopped hearing footsteps, that’s when she stopped. She talked about the fog fading for her, and how she began towards the home, thinking she’d find us there.”

“Only, we weren’t. As she continued, no one was around, even as she returned to the forest. Expecting a trap, she prepared for an ambush, but even when she found herself returning to the docks, it too was silent. There was no one where she saw bustling activity before. Even when she boarded one in search for dragons hiding within she found nothing. Once again she returned to the woods, only now picking up on a very faint scent.”

“Without thinking she found herself drawing the bow she had stowed away. She refused to elaborate on what it was like to use beyond unnatural and wrong.” Jeremiah paused, sudden worry crossing his face, “She did state that while there was nothing visible for the arrow to hit as it left the bow, she knew it had struck the intended target. I don’t want to know what that entails. Not long after, she found Micah suffering from the cold, and after placing him in her scarf, walked back to me. Everything after that was normal. We were escorted back with no issues and the night continued as normal. We wrote the report this morning and sent Saile’s copy off.”

Zylen couldn’t help but draw conclusions with his prior encounter with Maria. However, his absent rummaging through a desk had revealed something a bit more important. As he magically sifted through papers, he had accidentally extended his magic to the entire drawer. As he found himself moving the drawer, he discovered that there was a secondary compartment under the main one, only capable of being uncovered the exact way he had done. Carefully lifting the main ‘bucket’ out of the way, he revealed a key, placed on top of a piece of paper.

Fans flared and waving with excitement, he found himself smiling. While the key most likely led to a room Elanor had unlocked, the paper contained multiple safe combinations. Figuring out who made the compilation and stowed it away was a new mystery he hoped to solve soon enough.

“Zylen look out!” Jeremiah shouted, beginning to charge towards the smaller dragon.

But it was too late. Struck from behind, the Fae was knocked from the air, head smacking hard against the floor. His mind swam briefly before he fell unconscious, unable to get a look at his attacker. All he would learn as he awoke in the infirmary was that he was alive. Concussed, but alive.

I'm kind of happy that Pink gave me another Meat item for today. Had a horribly panic-inducing team of Zylen, Tulu, and Jeremiah, but after getting a mob set with an Ancient Fungi and Runic Bat, everything was a bit less stressful. Everyone gained at least one level, with Tulu being level 8 now! So happy this was his debut into the Coli, despite how close of an eye I had to keep on him. I say this like I almost lost Zylen again because I am a fool and go after the Arcane Centaurs sometimes.

Today was a bit of a filler day. I wanted to explore what happened to Jeremiah and the others since it wasn't as smooth as initially thought. Also wanted to show that Zylen still has a bit of trust in Jeremiah. Also, sorry if there's passing mentions or text that makes it appear like Apollyon was on that mission. My brain forgot it was Micah and not Apollyon as the third member and only remembered towards the end. I won't be surprised if I missed some stuff.
[center][b]Day 87[/b] [item=Petal Bat Spoon] [b]Content Warnings: Insignificance, Helplessness[/b][/center] Zylen spent most of his morning in the infirmary, where he could be monitored. While the damage from the day before wasn’t too serious, the staff insisted on keeping an eye on him, and that he not mentally strain himself too much. As this left him unable to do his job, he spent his morning out with Thorn. The botanist enjoyed his company, and was more than willing to monitor his fellow Fae in place of one of the nurses. While his head still hurt and he felt slightly disoriented at the start of his day, everything else was uneventful. That was until lunch rolled around. When Zylen joined the others in the dining hall that afternoon, he could feel the tension among those already present. Taking a seat next to Micah, the Veilspun motioned to a still unopened letter laying at the head of the table, and a second in front of Elanor. The Fae recognized the dark grey envelope and the significance tied to it. Whatever Saile had in store for them today, everyone needed to hear it, otherwise he’d see specific members of the household being gathered, involved in the task. He noticed something strange about Elanor’s envelope as well, but decided to keep his questions for later. As the remaining members shuffled in, he watched as Tulu was escorted by Howl, clearly having been woken up to join the others. Clancy was the last to accompany the others, glaring Zylen down before taking a seat next to Apollyon, cementing her position to be as far away from him as possible. As a member of staff walked in, all eyes fell onto them. Noticeably uneased by the attention they drew, the Pearlcatcher quickly picked up and opened the grey envelope, nervously swallowing a few times. Clearing their throat, they unfolded the letter, voice shaking with nerves as they started, but clearing up as they focused more on the words written within. “Magpie Manor,” Okay, so the letter was addressed to all of them. “I am aware of the tasks I have assigned you up until this point. Of their nature to be relatively harmless save for the journey to your locations. At least, that’s what I had assumed until I read about various encounters with individuals or objects proving dangerous to all of you. This, on top of your ongoing pest problem has made me realize something. These individuals and objects are likely more common than I had first anticipated. As such I’m taking a calculated risk with this next task.” “Now, this next excursion will prove more dangerous than those prior. Recently, an object of note has gone missing from a trade vessel, as informed by the Hollands. While a specific location is unknown, it has been traced back to a small trading post on the border of the Sea of a Thousand Currents and the Tangled Wood. I am unaware of the object’s properties, but Tobias noticed a group of individuals led by a Skydancer arriving clearly protecting something important. While he didn’t spot the object itself, he is fairly certain they were the ones responsible for the theft.” “So, your task is simple. Locate this group and recover the stolen object. I trust you to send whoever you need to complete what I ask of you. You [i]will[/i] meet opposition, so use of force is inevitable, and let it be known now that there is a high chance they won’t let you escape alive. Do what you must to retrieve this object. We are running out of time, and I highly recommend that designated members leave as quickly as possible.” “Before I conclude this letter, I have one more warning to leave all of you with. With other details provided by Tobias, I’m worried these dragons may be tied to a group the institute has had a close eye on for a while. If my personal concern proves true, I’m afraid this group may begin to target the manor. There are plenty of wards in place to prevent intruders from entering, but reinforcement on such wards has become impossible. I have no idea how long they’ll remain intact, especially if they come under assault. Consider this a preliminary warning.” “I know none of you signed up for such encounters. Nor was I aware you’d receive threatening letters or deal with a pest originating from the Reliquary Room. While I have seen no trend towards an increase in frequency, I’d like for all of you to grow more accustomed to potential dangers both outside and inside the estate grounds. Tasks such as this one will not become the new normal.” “To compensate, I’m paying double for all of you this following week, as well as a bonus for those partaking in the task itself. This is not to serve as an incentive to join, but to cover the injuries that anyone participating may suffer. Should [i]anyone[/i] die as a result of this task, all costs will go to your clan, as well as a year’s worth of that same double pay up front. I will be open now and state that any future tasks that share this risk will not have the same pay. I am taking an extreme risk here and if it goes poorly, you will not see any further dangerous missions from myself. If it goes well, the bonus will remain for those participating in future tasks, but no other bonuses will be offered. I hope you understand my reasons behind this.” “All of that done and over with, I wish you the best of luck on your assigned task. Please send a response with all participating by tonight so I know what clans to send payment to should the worst happen.” “I hope to hear from you soon,” “Professor Richard Saile.” Without a word, Clancy abruptly stood up from the table and walked out, food still untouched. Her expression had grown more and more bitter as the staff member rambled on, and had been waiting to leave by the time they were halfway done. Wings twitching, tail lashing, and claws tapping, she looked as if she were to lunge at the speaker to end the speech faster, but managed to hold herself back. The action left everyone speechless for a moment before someone bothered to break the silence. “I’ll do it,” Jeremiah volunteered, rising from his seated position. “I can’t say I didn’t expect this from Saile. At the very least he’s acknowledged the unexpected danger of our past tasks. He also is being very transparent with knowing the risks associated with this one. If we’re going to get in a fight, I want to protect those involved.” It didn’t take long for Howl to join in, “I’m with Jerry.” Speaking the nickname resulted in a typical glare from the Ancient, but the Tundra ignored it. “I can track and I can fight. We find them once and I’ll make sure we find them again. I can hold my own. And I will lay down my life so others can be safe. This is what I signed up for.” Zylen was a bit surprised by the eagerness from the two, but it became apparent that the others didn’t share in the enthusiasm. Elanor was blatantly disinterested, eyes reflecting suspicion towards the entire thing. Micah did his best to show he had no intention of joining the two, sinking back in his seat in an almost submissive manner. Tulu, while alert, lost all interest once Howl volunteered, likely wanting to stay behind to protect his coworkers that did so as well. Thorn’s fans were similarly lowered in an expression that mimicked Micah’s and while Apollyon was nigh unreadable, his occasional glances towards the dining hall’s was enough of an indication that he wanted to leave. So that left him. Did he want to join the other two on this obviously dangerous task, or should he stay behind like the rest? On one hand, he certainly had past experiences with crime. He’d know where to begin his search for these thieves and likely conclude the mission far sooner as a result. His element and skills also meant espionage. Out of practice for sure, but he’d used his skills in the past to infiltrate homes of all sorts of dragons unseen, even those sharing in his element. But on the flipside, was it worth risking questions from his coworkers? If Jeremiah and Howl became aware of the skill he had no reason to have, they’d get suspicious. They may pry into his past, and there was only so far he could go with lies before the truth was uncovered, [i]especially[/i] with Jeremiah and his connection with Elanor. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to risk revealing that dark side of his past to potentially everyone just yet. If anything, he didn’t need Clancy to hate him further for his previous deeds before being employed. Conflicted, he sat with the others in silence, buying more time by eating a bite of his food, lost in thought. He knew how crucial of a role he could play, but was the risk worth the reward? Tossing whether to stay or join, he once again looked at the other two who had agreed to join him. Finally, with his decision made, he worked up the nerves to speak his answer. Shaking as he sat up in his seat, his voice came out far less confidently than intended. He hoped his fans made up for his unease, “Count me in. It may not be much, but I can hide myself with magic. That and my small size could help us uncover helpful information at the very least.” He did his best to avoid the gazes turned to him as he finished, not helping with his growing discomfort. Rising to the air, he quickly dismissed himself, “Now, if I recall correctly, Saile wished for us to leave at once.” ------------- Tulukaruk was there to slay a beast. Others had joined him on the mission. Something was terrorizing the territory, attacking clans large and small. In the uproar a small group of mercenaries and soldiers banded together to take it down. But first they had to find the prey or its lair. Stake it out to plan an ambush to take it down as quickly and safely as possible. So that’s where he and the others were. Exploring the lands in search of this beast. They had been traced to some mountains. One group explored the barren plains to the east, while a second fanned out through the forests. The third group, and the one he knew to be a part of, took to the mountains. Whether a cave, a nest of rocks, or the beast itself, they searched in a wide perimeter to cover every inch of ground. He took pride in the role given to him, and didn’t dare let everyone down with neglect of his duty. Eyes peeled and ears open for any sort of sound, he was prepared for a fight with what he was after. Abandoned cave after cave. Long deserted nests. Random assortments of rocks from a recent landslide. Anything that could be a potential hiding spot for the beast was picked clean before he moved on. Then he spotted it. He crested another small ridge in a short burst of flight before seeing what was undoubtedly the source of all the trouble in the area. In a small valley, there was a small gathering of yetis, carrying the spoils of their most recent attack. Some sported fresh wounds while others remained untouched, there to protect their young. Hiding among them he spotted a tribe of Longnecks and Centaurs, sporting thick, long fur to aid them in the chilly thin air of the mountains. Looking a little further, he spotted their encampment. Ecstatic, he was prepared to turn and run towards the others. This was not only their prey but their home. What they had gathered to seek out and kill. His excitement was short-lived however. Something alerted the yetis, causing them to drop what they carried and begin to take up a defensive stance. Had another of his group found them and been spotted? No, if that was the case the Beastclan would have noticed at roughly the same time. This was something else. Something instinctual. As the ground began to shake beneath him, he watched the others turn and run, only gathering a few bags of supplies as they did so. Realizing some running towards him, Tulu prepared to fight instead of hide, thinking he could take on them if they decided to stick it out. Instead, the few Centaurs that came his way ignored him entirely, terror plastered on every one of their paled faces. Not knowing why, the Wildclaw remained, hoping he’d get an answer as to why they fled. Then he saw it. He saw [i]some[/i] of it. An eye. The top of a maw. A paw that began to rise from under the valley. Something from [i]deep [/i]within the earth broke free from the rocky terrain. He saw mountains crumble where its body resided. He wanted so desperately to believe this was the Earthshaker himself. That it was the deity rising from an eternity of slumbering. But his gut knew better. The beast began to lift its head and boulders fell from it, crashing around him, splinters burying themselves into his scales and knocking him to the ground. Unable to move, he was forced to stare down this….[i]thing[/i] alone. This was larger than any Emperor. Than any deity. And he was so, so small. ---------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian Hey so genuine question: How the hell to I tag this nightmare sequence? I legit don't know how to tag stuff related to The Vast so I feel like I'm missing something. I'd like for this to feel a bit more complete than it is, even if most of the 'scary' part comes at the very end of it. Anyways, I am [i]so[/i] hyped for the next couple of entries. I got such a good roll for this mission, and I can't wait to reveal more. This has been such a long time coming, and I'm so happy that the result was very welcoming for having Zylen join along. I'd would hate for this to wind up being something he couldn't participate in without it appearing forced. And yep, Tulu's marked by the Vast. Guess this is part of the initiation process? Hi you got some levels now it's time to get bonked by a fear. I wouldn't call it claiming, but I find it kinda funny that this happened. As an aside, if I happened to pull a familiar today I was 100% having the resulting dragon be someone who broke in and knocked Zylen out instead of the pest. That didn't happen, but I was completely ready to go through with it.
Day 87
Petal Bat Spoon
Content Warnings: Insignificance, Helplessness

Zylen spent most of his morning in the infirmary, where he could be monitored. While the damage from the day before wasn’t too serious, the staff insisted on keeping an eye on him, and that he not mentally strain himself too much. As this left him unable to do his job, he spent his morning out with Thorn. The botanist enjoyed his company, and was more than willing to monitor his fellow Fae in place of one of the nurses. While his head still hurt and he felt slightly disoriented at the start of his day, everything else was uneventful.

That was until lunch rolled around. When Zylen joined the others in the dining hall that afternoon, he could feel the tension among those already present. Taking a seat next to Micah, the Veilspun motioned to a still unopened letter laying at the head of the table, and a second in front of Elanor. The Fae recognized the dark grey envelope and the significance tied to it. Whatever Saile had in store for them today, everyone needed to hear it, otherwise he’d see specific members of the household being gathered, involved in the task. He noticed something strange about Elanor’s envelope as well, but decided to keep his questions for later.

As the remaining members shuffled in, he watched as Tulu was escorted by Howl, clearly having been woken up to join the others. Clancy was the last to accompany the others, glaring Zylen down before taking a seat next to Apollyon, cementing her position to be as far away from him as possible. As a member of staff walked in, all eyes fell onto them. Noticeably uneased by the attention they drew, the Pearlcatcher quickly picked up and opened the grey envelope, nervously swallowing a few times. Clearing their throat, they unfolded the letter, voice shaking with nerves as they started, but clearing up as they focused more on the words written within.

“Magpie Manor,” Okay, so the letter was addressed to all of them.

“I am aware of the tasks I have assigned you up until this point. Of their nature to be relatively harmless save for the journey to your locations. At least, that’s what I had assumed until I read about various encounters with individuals or objects proving dangerous to all of you. This, on top of your ongoing pest problem has made me realize something. These individuals and objects are likely more common than I had first anticipated. As such I’m taking a calculated risk with this next task.”

“Now, this next excursion will prove more dangerous than those prior. Recently, an object of note has gone missing from a trade vessel, as informed by the Hollands. While a specific location is unknown, it has been traced back to a small trading post on the border of the Sea of a Thousand Currents and the Tangled Wood. I am unaware of the object’s properties, but Tobias noticed a group of individuals led by a Skydancer arriving clearly protecting something important. While he didn’t spot the object itself, he is fairly certain they were the ones responsible for the theft.”

“So, your task is simple. Locate this group and recover the stolen object. I trust you to send whoever you need to complete what I ask of you. You will meet opposition, so use of force is inevitable, and let it be known now that there is a high chance they won’t let you escape alive. Do what you must to retrieve this object. We are running out of time, and I highly recommend that designated members leave as quickly as possible.”

“Before I conclude this letter, I have one more warning to leave all of you with. With other details provided by Tobias, I’m worried these dragons may be tied to a group the institute has had a close eye on for a while. If my personal concern proves true, I’m afraid this group may begin to target the manor. There are plenty of wards in place to prevent intruders from entering, but reinforcement on such wards has become impossible. I have no idea how long they’ll remain intact, especially if they come under assault. Consider this a preliminary warning.”

“I know none of you signed up for such encounters. Nor was I aware you’d receive threatening letters or deal with a pest originating from the Reliquary Room. While I have seen no trend towards an increase in frequency, I’d like for all of you to grow more accustomed to potential dangers both outside and inside the estate grounds. Tasks such as this one will not become the new normal.”

“To compensate, I’m paying double for all of you this following week, as well as a bonus for those partaking in the task itself. This is not to serve as an incentive to join, but to cover the injuries that anyone participating may suffer. Should anyone die as a result of this task, all costs will go to your clan, as well as a year’s worth of that same double pay up front. I will be open now and state that any future tasks that share this risk will not have the same pay. I am taking an extreme risk here and if it goes poorly, you will not see any further dangerous missions from myself. If it goes well, the bonus will remain for those participating in future tasks, but no other bonuses will be offered. I hope you understand my reasons behind this.”

“All of that done and over with, I wish you the best of luck on your assigned task. Please send a response with all participating by tonight so I know what clans to send payment to should the worst happen.”

“I hope to hear from you soon,”

“Professor Richard Saile.”

Without a word, Clancy abruptly stood up from the table and walked out, food still untouched. Her expression had grown more and more bitter as the staff member rambled on, and had been waiting to leave by the time they were halfway done. Wings twitching, tail lashing, and claws tapping, she looked as if she were to lunge at the speaker to end the speech faster, but managed to hold herself back. The action left everyone speechless for a moment before someone bothered to break the silence.

“I’ll do it,” Jeremiah volunteered, rising from his seated position. “I can’t say I didn’t expect this from Saile. At the very least he’s acknowledged the unexpected danger of our past tasks. He also is being very transparent with knowing the risks associated with this one. If we’re going to get in a fight, I want to protect those involved.”

It didn’t take long for Howl to join in, “I’m with Jerry.” Speaking the nickname resulted in a typical glare from the Ancient, but the Tundra ignored it. “I can track and I can fight. We find them once and I’ll make sure we find them again. I can hold my own. And I will lay down my life so others can be safe. This is what I signed up for.”

Zylen was a bit surprised by the eagerness from the two, but it became apparent that the others didn’t share in the enthusiasm. Elanor was blatantly disinterested, eyes reflecting suspicion towards the entire thing. Micah did his best to show he had no intention of joining the two, sinking back in his seat in an almost submissive manner. Tulu, while alert, lost all interest once Howl volunteered, likely wanting to stay behind to protect his coworkers that did so as well. Thorn’s fans were similarly lowered in an expression that mimicked Micah’s and while Apollyon was nigh unreadable, his occasional glances towards the dining hall’s was enough of an indication that he wanted to leave.

So that left him. Did he want to join the other two on this obviously dangerous task, or should he stay behind like the rest? On one hand, he certainly had past experiences with crime. He’d know where to begin his search for these thieves and likely conclude the mission far sooner as a result. His element and skills also meant espionage. Out of practice for sure, but he’d used his skills in the past to infiltrate homes of all sorts of dragons unseen, even those sharing in his element.

But on the flipside, was it worth risking questions from his coworkers? If Jeremiah and Howl became aware of the skill he had no reason to have, they’d get suspicious. They may pry into his past, and there was only so far he could go with lies before the truth was uncovered, especially with Jeremiah and his connection with Elanor. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to risk revealing that dark side of his past to potentially everyone just yet. If anything, he didn’t need Clancy to hate him further for his previous deeds before being employed.

Conflicted, he sat with the others in silence, buying more time by eating a bite of his food, lost in thought. He knew how crucial of a role he could play, but was the risk worth the reward? Tossing whether to stay or join, he once again looked at the other two who had agreed to join him. Finally, with his decision made, he worked up the nerves to speak his answer.

Shaking as he sat up in his seat, his voice came out far less confidently than intended. He hoped his fans made up for his unease, “Count me in. It may not be much, but I can hide myself with magic. That and my small size could help us uncover helpful information at the very least.” He did his best to avoid the gazes turned to him as he finished, not helping with his growing discomfort. Rising to the air, he quickly dismissed himself, “Now, if I recall correctly, Saile wished for us to leave at once.”

Tulukaruk was there to slay a beast.

Others had joined him on the mission. Something was terrorizing the territory, attacking clans large and small. In the uproar a small group of mercenaries and soldiers banded together to take it down. But first they had to find the prey or its lair. Stake it out to plan an ambush to take it down as quickly and safely as possible.

So that’s where he and the others were. Exploring the lands in search of this beast. They had been traced to some mountains. One group explored the barren plains to the east, while a second fanned out through the forests. The third group, and the one he knew to be a part of, took to the mountains. Whether a cave, a nest of rocks, or the beast itself, they searched in a wide perimeter to cover every inch of ground.

He took pride in the role given to him, and didn’t dare let everyone down with neglect of his duty. Eyes peeled and ears open for any sort of sound, he was prepared for a fight with what he was after. Abandoned cave after cave. Long deserted nests. Random assortments of rocks from a recent landslide. Anything that could be a potential hiding spot for the beast was picked clean before he moved on.

Then he spotted it.

He crested another small ridge in a short burst of flight before seeing what was undoubtedly the source of all the trouble in the area. In a small valley, there was a small gathering of yetis, carrying the spoils of their most recent attack. Some sported fresh wounds while others remained untouched, there to protect their young. Hiding among them he spotted a tribe of Longnecks and Centaurs, sporting thick, long fur to aid them in the chilly thin air of the mountains. Looking a little further, he spotted their encampment.

Ecstatic, he was prepared to turn and run towards the others. This was not only their prey but their home. What they had gathered to seek out and kill. His excitement was short-lived however. Something alerted the yetis, causing them to drop what they carried and begin to take up a defensive stance. Had another of his group found them and been spotted? No, if that was the case the Beastclan would have noticed at roughly the same time. This was something else. Something instinctual.

As the ground began to shake beneath him, he watched the others turn and run, only gathering a few bags of supplies as they did so. Realizing some running towards him, Tulu prepared to fight instead of hide, thinking he could take on them if they decided to stick it out. Instead, the few Centaurs that came his way ignored him entirely, terror plastered on every one of their paled faces. Not knowing why, the Wildclaw remained, hoping he’d get an answer as to why they fled.

Then he saw it.

He saw some of it.

An eye. The top of a maw. A paw that began to rise from under the valley. Something from deep within the earth broke free from the rocky terrain. He saw mountains crumble where its body resided. He wanted so desperately to believe this was the Earthshaker himself. That it was the deity rising from an eternity of slumbering. But his gut knew better. The beast began to lift its head and boulders fell from it, crashing around him, splinters burying themselves into his scales and knocking him to the ground. Unable to move, he was forced to stare down this….thing alone.

This was larger than any Emperor.

Than any deity.

And he was so, so small.

@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian

Hey so genuine question: How the hell to I tag this nightmare sequence? I legit don't know how to tag stuff related to The Vast so I feel like I'm missing something. I'd like for this to feel a bit more complete than it is, even if most of the 'scary' part comes at the very end of it.

Anyways, I am so hyped for the next couple of entries. I got such a good roll for this mission, and I can't wait to reveal more. This has been such a long time coming, and I'm so happy that the result was very welcoming for having Zylen join along. I'd would hate for this to wind up being something he couldn't participate in without it appearing forced.

And yep, Tulu's marked by the Vast. Guess this is part of the initiation process? Hi you got some levels now it's time to get bonked by a fear. I wouldn't call it claiming, but I find it kinda funny that this happened. As an aside, if I happened to pull a familiar today I was 100% having the resulting dragon be someone who broke in and knocked Zylen out instead of the pest. That didn't happen, but I was completely ready to go through with it.
1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 21