Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | FRWriMos Novel Writing Challenge
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Day 2

cw: Violence

Boreas is the Mori Clan’s hunter, both of food – and enemies. He is a very swift runner, able to keep up with his mate, Merlin, on the ground. His dull coloring allows him to blend in with his gloomy surroundings, and he is able to sneak closer to unsuspecting prey than most.

Born in the Hewn City to a small pack of Mirrors, Boreas eschewed his pack’s distrust of other breeds while wholeheartedly retaining their love of the hunt. He was one of the first members of the Mori Clan, with only Cassata and Merlin before him.

Boreas and Merlin are a pair to be feared. From their very first meeting, they were equals in rivalry. That rivalry soon turned to comradery, and they only grew closer from there. Merlin is the only dragon Boreas truly trusts, and the feeling is mutual.

Here one moment, there the next, Merlin has the uncanny ability to be seemingly everywhere at once. An extremely swift flyer, he is only matched by his mate’s running. Merlin guards the entrance to the clan’s territory and patrols its outskirts. No one knows how he does it.

The answer is illusion magic. A skilled magician, Merlin is able to create copies of himself and see through their eyes. Although unable to make his creations invisible, Merlin nonetheless uses this to his advantage. He refuses to allow any dragon apart from his mate and leader to see more than one copy at once, and everyone else believes him to truly be omnipresent. Only Boreas is able to tell him apart from his copies.

Merlin’s loyalty to his clan and its leader is rivaled only by his loyalty to his mate. He will fight tooth and nail for both, but woe betide the dragon who threatens his beloved. He is a true force to be reckoned with.

I am the Guardian of these ruins, They who stalk the night. My teeth have rendered flesh from bone with the force of a thousand Imperials. My wings shine with the light of the darkness, from which nothing will ever escape.

I am the Emperor of the City.

Emperor. The very word strikes fear in the heart of any self-preserving dragon. And yet Cassata, She who has faced death, has struck a deal with the Emperor of the Hewn City.

Davik no longer remembers their past, their mind and thoughts alien to most. They were once two Imperials, mates whose names have been lost to time. One hailed from the Sea of a Thousand Currents while the other crawled out of the Scarred Wasteland. They met in the Sunbeam Ruins, where they lived out the rest of their far-too short lives.

And then disaster struck. A tribe of Beastclans attacked, and the pair was struck down. But fate was not kind to their killers, for after a day and a night they merged into an Emperor. They slaughtered the tribe and retreated back into the Hewn City. Many have attempted to kill them, but none were successful.

Cassata saw in the Emperor an opportunity. She braved the wrath of their presence and, with the help of her familiar, was able to communicate.

She struck a deal: Guard the Mori Clan and do not attack its members, and you will have all the food you could desire.

Davik accepted. They now roam the clan’s lands, its members giving them a wide berth. But their mind is not what it once was, and Nephelle believes that it is only a matter of time before Cassata’s folly dooms them all.

wc: 596

[Whew, that was fun! I did the bios of three dragons today, all from my Mori Clan. I'm super happy with these, and will probably do one like yesterday's next!]
Day 2

cw: Violence

Boreas is the Mori Clan’s hunter, both of food – and enemies. He is a very swift runner, able to keep up with his mate, Merlin, on the ground. His dull coloring allows him to blend in with his gloomy surroundings, and he is able to sneak closer to unsuspecting prey than most.

Born in the Hewn City to a small pack of Mirrors, Boreas eschewed his pack’s distrust of other breeds while wholeheartedly retaining their love of the hunt. He was one of the first members of the Mori Clan, with only Cassata and Merlin before him.

Boreas and Merlin are a pair to be feared. From their very first meeting, they were equals in rivalry. That rivalry soon turned to comradery, and they only grew closer from there. Merlin is the only dragon Boreas truly trusts, and the feeling is mutual.

Here one moment, there the next, Merlin has the uncanny ability to be seemingly everywhere at once. An extremely swift flyer, he is only matched by his mate’s running. Merlin guards the entrance to the clan’s territory and patrols its outskirts. No one knows how he does it.

The answer is illusion magic. A skilled magician, Merlin is able to create copies of himself and see through their eyes. Although unable to make his creations invisible, Merlin nonetheless uses this to his advantage. He refuses to allow any dragon apart from his mate and leader to see more than one copy at once, and everyone else believes him to truly be omnipresent. Only Boreas is able to tell him apart from his copies.

Merlin’s loyalty to his clan and its leader is rivaled only by his loyalty to his mate. He will fight tooth and nail for both, but woe betide the dragon who threatens his beloved. He is a true force to be reckoned with.

I am the Guardian of these ruins, They who stalk the night. My teeth have rendered flesh from bone with the force of a thousand Imperials. My wings shine with the light of the darkness, from which nothing will ever escape.

I am the Emperor of the City.

Emperor. The very word strikes fear in the heart of any self-preserving dragon. And yet Cassata, She who has faced death, has struck a deal with the Emperor of the Hewn City.

Davik no longer remembers their past, their mind and thoughts alien to most. They were once two Imperials, mates whose names have been lost to time. One hailed from the Sea of a Thousand Currents while the other crawled out of the Scarred Wasteland. They met in the Sunbeam Ruins, where they lived out the rest of their far-too short lives.

And then disaster struck. A tribe of Beastclans attacked, and the pair was struck down. But fate was not kind to their killers, for after a day and a night they merged into an Emperor. They slaughtered the tribe and retreated back into the Hewn City. Many have attempted to kill them, but none were successful.

Cassata saw in the Emperor an opportunity. She braved the wrath of their presence and, with the help of her familiar, was able to communicate.

She struck a deal: Guard the Mori Clan and do not attack its members, and you will have all the food you could desire.

Davik accepted. They now roam the clan’s lands, its members giving them a wide berth. But their mind is not what it once was, and Nephelle believes that it is only a matter of time before Cassata’s folly dooms them all.

wc: 596

[Whew, that was fun! I did the bios of three dragons today, all from my Mori Clan. I'm super happy with these, and will probably do one like yesterday's next!]
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
[ @SocklessWonder Aww, no need to thank me; that's just the spirit of writing I guess [emoji=tundra winking size=1] Besides, I'm glad you liked what I came up with for my first day. It's kinda hard to get into writing on a project again, but seeing that you could emphatize with Chizzme and are curious about how things will turn out makes me really happy and excited to continue! And the thing with the errors - may I ask, what I did wrong? I'd be very interested in correcting them, so I can do it better next time. I know that this is not your job to do, but if you could point them out for me this once I'd be really grateful. However, I edited my previous post and think I have taken the correct link now. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience there. [emoji=tundra scared size=1]]
[ @SocklessWonder
Aww, no need to thank me; that's just the spirit of writing I guess

Besides, I'm glad you liked what I came up with for my first day. It's kinda hard to get into writing on a project again, but seeing that you could emphatize with Chizzme and are curious about how things will turn out makes me really happy and excited to continue!

And the thing with the errors - may I ask, what I did wrong? I'd be very interested in correcting them, so I can do it better next time. I know that this is not your job to do, but if you could point them out for me this once I'd be really grateful.

However, I edited my previous post and think I have taken the correct link now. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience there. ]
fWKq08u.gif
[@Midgardschlange The biggest error I noticed was that at one point you wrote "proofed" instead of "proved". Easy mistake to make.

Your story was so good! I love that you hinted that she was from the Shifting Expanse without ever directly stating it. I also loved how eerie it is, with the song. Great job!]
[@Midgardschlange The biggest error I noticed was that at one point you wrote "proofed" instead of "proved". Easy mistake to make.

Your story was so good! I love that you hinted that she was from the Shifting Expanse without ever directly stating it. I also loved how eerie it is, with the song. Great job!]
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MGjRGZbHr0SljVjSAYDiEnHPi8a0Yva5Yfk1slTQl1I/edit?usp=drivesdk
Day Three: again, I posted right after midnight....

I wandered all the way down to the bottom of the street before realizing that I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I dashed back up to the house and awkwardly peeked my head back inside.

"What did you want me to do, again?"
My mother sighed with dissapointment.
"If you had woken up earlier, you would know."
"I can't control how late I wake up!" I said incredulously.
"But you do have control over what time you go to sleep. Don't think I don't hear you talking to your weird little rat thing. It's irresponsible."

"Honey is not a rat, he's a squirrel. And… uh… you sort of have a point. What should I be doing, again?"
My mom gave me a look of pure irritation.
"Collecting puffball mushrooms by the border. Your brother has finally decided to stop by and I want to prepare a nice dinner."
I froze, and even in my half asleep state I could protest.
"Mom! I can't go to the border! What about Adrienne?! Don't you remember!?"
"Oh come on, Jiari, you're twelve, practically a young dragoness. Most dragonets get over their fear of the border when they're seven. You need to learn to face your fears."
"Fine. Just know that if I die, you valued a soup over your daughter." I huffed. My mother smiled and tapped the top of my head with her snout.
"You'll be fine. Go fetch some mushrooms." She paused. "And here's a little extra for some honey," she whispered, as if there was somebody else in the house that would be listening. She dropped three bronze coins into my paw and nudged me gently toward the door. I quickly wrapped my wings around her and walked back down the street, this time with a purpose.

As I began to walk into the outskirts of town, my heart began to sink lower and lower. I padded out into the cobblestone street, nodding my head to the other dragons. Everyone rushed around completing their daily tasks. I tuckdeed my wings in a little closer, determined to be as little of a nuisance as possible. I reached the end of the road successfully. Unnoticed. Unseen. Just the way I liked it.

My stomach churned and my mouth felt weirder than usual. What if there really are sirens out there? What if they come and kill me? What if I never see my family again? What if they forget me? My head filled with useless worry as I approached the dark metal fence. I hesitated before placing my claws firmly down on the soil. The first time I had set foot outside of the heart of the town in years. I entered a field of soft springy grass, littered with a few leaves that had blown in from the other side of the gate.

I stared off into the dark woods, my heart flickering like a candle held to our drafty window. I raised my chin to the sky and felt the breeze flow through my wings. I could feel it lift me higher and higher, carrying me far away from this town.

I opened my eyes suddenly upon hearing the crunch of a stick near the edge of the woods. I was firmly planted on the ground, just as I had been. Just an illusion. I shivered and began to dash about the stretch of empty grass, my gaze often flickering back to the tangled wood.

I sighed and tried to calm my frantically beating heart. My stomach felt uneasy, you know, in that subtle way that makes you want to vomit.

I quickly hurried to a tiny patch of puffball mushrooms and began to scoop them into my leather pouch. The mushrooms were crushed beneath my clumsy talons.

Auuuuguughhhhhh! I screamed internally. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a perfect patch of mushrooms, beautiful, white and round. My heart flickered. I flipped my ears up to catch any sound on the wind, but the air was still and silent. I cautiously walked forward and began to pick the stalks of the fungi.

I rushed off over the grass, desperate to head back to the house as fast as possible, but something twanged within my heart, a feeling of pure need to turn my head. I swiveled my head around and saw two glowing eyes peering out of the darkness. They dissapeared behind a tree and I froze, trying to comprehend what had happened.

Then, drifting along the wind came a gentle melody. It was sweet and soft and made me feel so, so happy. I felt my mind begin to clear, and pure warmth fill my body. I jolted forward suddenly and began sprinting away, back to the boring, stony, and safe, village.

Word Count: 800
(I have a problem)
Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MGjRGZbHr0SljVjSAYDiEnHPi8a0Yva5Yfk1slTQl1I/edit?usp=drivesdk
Day Three: again, I posted right after midnight....

I wandered all the way down to the bottom of the street before realizing that I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I dashed back up to the house and awkwardly peeked my head back inside.

"What did you want me to do, again?"
My mother sighed with dissapointment.
"If you had woken up earlier, you would know."
"I can't control how late I wake up!" I said incredulously.
"But you do have control over what time you go to sleep. Don't think I don't hear you talking to your weird little rat thing. It's irresponsible."

"Honey is not a rat, he's a squirrel. And… uh… you sort of have a point. What should I be doing, again?"
My mom gave me a look of pure irritation.
"Collecting puffball mushrooms by the border. Your brother has finally decided to stop by and I want to prepare a nice dinner."
I froze, and even in my half asleep state I could protest.
"Mom! I can't go to the border! What about Adrienne?! Don't you remember!?"
"Oh come on, Jiari, you're twelve, practically a young dragoness. Most dragonets get over their fear of the border when they're seven. You need to learn to face your fears."
"Fine. Just know that if I die, you valued a soup over your daughter." I huffed. My mother smiled and tapped the top of my head with her snout.
"You'll be fine. Go fetch some mushrooms." She paused. "And here's a little extra for some honey," she whispered, as if there was somebody else in the house that would be listening. She dropped three bronze coins into my paw and nudged me gently toward the door. I quickly wrapped my wings around her and walked back down the street, this time with a purpose.

As I began to walk into the outskirts of town, my heart began to sink lower and lower. I padded out into the cobblestone street, nodding my head to the other dragons. Everyone rushed around completing their daily tasks. I tuckdeed my wings in a little closer, determined to be as little of a nuisance as possible. I reached the end of the road successfully. Unnoticed. Unseen. Just the way I liked it.

My stomach churned and my mouth felt weirder than usual. What if there really are sirens out there? What if they come and kill me? What if I never see my family again? What if they forget me? My head filled with useless worry as I approached the dark metal fence. I hesitated before placing my claws firmly down on the soil. The first time I had set foot outside of the heart of the town in years. I entered a field of soft springy grass, littered with a few leaves that had blown in from the other side of the gate.

I stared off into the dark woods, my heart flickering like a candle held to our drafty window. I raised my chin to the sky and felt the breeze flow through my wings. I could feel it lift me higher and higher, carrying me far away from this town.

I opened my eyes suddenly upon hearing the crunch of a stick near the edge of the woods. I was firmly planted on the ground, just as I had been. Just an illusion. I shivered and began to dash about the stretch of empty grass, my gaze often flickering back to the tangled wood.

I sighed and tried to calm my frantically beating heart. My stomach felt uneasy, you know, in that subtle way that makes you want to vomit.

I quickly hurried to a tiny patch of puffball mushrooms and began to scoop them into my leather pouch. The mushrooms were crushed beneath my clumsy talons.

Auuuuguughhhhhh! I screamed internally. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a perfect patch of mushrooms, beautiful, white and round. My heart flickered. I flipped my ears up to catch any sound on the wind, but the air was still and silent. I cautiously walked forward and began to pick the stalks of the fungi.

I rushed off over the grass, desperate to head back to the house as fast as possible, but something twanged within my heart, a feeling of pure need to turn my head. I swiveled my head around and saw two glowing eyes peering out of the darkness. They dissapeared behind a tree and I froze, trying to comprehend what had happened.

Then, drifting along the wind came a gentle melody. It was sweet and soft and made me feel so, so happy. I felt my mind begin to clear, and pure warmth fill my body. I jolted forward suddenly and began sprinting away, back to the boring, stony, and safe, village.

Word Count: 800
(I have a problem)
7zcCDc4.png
@Myriadofstars

Ack I love Merlin and Boreal! They're such an adorable match! I always find it funny when the tough guys fall for each other.
@Myriadofstars

Ack I love Merlin and Boreal! They're such an adorable match! I always find it funny when the tough guys fall for each other.
7zcCDc4.png
Day 4

cw: none

The day was dusky by the time Deliandi reappeared on the ranch. She noticed Elena under the tree right away and came trotting over.

She noticed the girl had chained dandelions together to form a rather long necklace. "Elena, have you been waiting for me?"

"Oh! Deliandi!" she exclaimed, drawing her into a big hug. "I'm so glad you're back!"

"I was consulting with neighboring dogs and, well, the differing personalities often create tensions that take time to work out."

Elena cocked her head to the right without realizing it, her face a picture of confusion.

"I mean to say, sometimes the other dogs get on each others' nerves and I have to referee."

"Oh, yeah, my mom has to do that with me and my brother. So, what were you going to say before Uncle Rob showed up in the barn?"

Deliandi glanced around and said, "Let's go back into the barn, where it's quiet."

Once Elena was seated on a hay bale, the dog sat neatly, inhaled and exhaled and said, "I think while you were very briefly dead, you were brought to the place where puppies begin."

"Begin...like how they start out inside their mom's belly?"

"No, begin, like where beings who are deemed worthy are selected to become dogs for a life. It's a great honor."

"Who decides?"

"There isn't a 'who' but a collective acceptance by all dogs. It's not something we think about. It's entirely subconscious. I wish I could explain this better, but the best way to describe it is magic done all at once by all of the dogs."

"I was in a magical place? Wow!" Elena's face was bright with joy, but then darkened slightly as she thought about what it all meant. "Wait, why did I come back?"

"I don't know, sweet child, but when you were sent back, I think we all decided that you had had enough disappointment and we, sort of, but I don't know how, magicked away your illness."

Elena's eyebrows came together in a V over her nose, which wrinkled slightly. "You keep saying you 'think' like you don't really know. I don't know why you're telling me made up stories. I just want to know the truth!"

Crying, the girl ran off toward the house. Deliandi started to follow, but decided to let her go. She regretted saying anything because she really had no answers.

The other dogs were unsure about her theories, but had agreed to meditate on it with her tonight. After checking the height of the moon through the window, she hurried toward the woods to meet the others.

wc: 438

[ I'm still not sure about the direction this is going. I may just rewrite this part later! Thoughts? ]
Day 4

cw: none

The day was dusky by the time Deliandi reappeared on the ranch. She noticed Elena under the tree right away and came trotting over.

She noticed the girl had chained dandelions together to form a rather long necklace. "Elena, have you been waiting for me?"

"Oh! Deliandi!" she exclaimed, drawing her into a big hug. "I'm so glad you're back!"

"I was consulting with neighboring dogs and, well, the differing personalities often create tensions that take time to work out."

Elena cocked her head to the right without realizing it, her face a picture of confusion.

"I mean to say, sometimes the other dogs get on each others' nerves and I have to referee."

"Oh, yeah, my mom has to do that with me and my brother. So, what were you going to say before Uncle Rob showed up in the barn?"

Deliandi glanced around and said, "Let's go back into the barn, where it's quiet."

Once Elena was seated on a hay bale, the dog sat neatly, inhaled and exhaled and said, "I think while you were very briefly dead, you were brought to the place where puppies begin."

"Begin...like how they start out inside their mom's belly?"

"No, begin, like where beings who are deemed worthy are selected to become dogs for a life. It's a great honor."

"Who decides?"

"There isn't a 'who' but a collective acceptance by all dogs. It's not something we think about. It's entirely subconscious. I wish I could explain this better, but the best way to describe it is magic done all at once by all of the dogs."

"I was in a magical place? Wow!" Elena's face was bright with joy, but then darkened slightly as she thought about what it all meant. "Wait, why did I come back?"

"I don't know, sweet child, but when you were sent back, I think we all decided that you had had enough disappointment and we, sort of, but I don't know how, magicked away your illness."

Elena's eyebrows came together in a V over her nose, which wrinkled slightly. "You keep saying you 'think' like you don't really know. I don't know why you're telling me made up stories. I just want to know the truth!"

Crying, the girl ran off toward the house. Deliandi started to follow, but decided to let her go. She regretted saying anything because she really had no answers.

The other dogs were unsure about her theories, but had agreed to meditate on it with her tonight. After checking the height of the moon through the window, she hurried toward the woods to meet the others.

wc: 438

[ I'm still not sure about the direction this is going. I may just rewrite this part later! Thoughts? ]
b6f3d4ea76e68d8090de5809afe1f0105cf2c98e.pngoYfCraJ.png0HxJjfZ.gif TAzcwMk.gif
@SocklessWonder

I really like the way that your puppy choosing system works! It made me from thinking of a bunch of dogs just subconsciously choosing people to be puppies, and I. Excited to know more.

Also, I'm in the same boat you are, I have no idea where I'm going with my story, it's just jumping all over the place

@Midgardschlange

For one thing, your story is still looking adorable, and I can't wait for day two to start! Chizzmeeeeee

And secondly, people not on mobile can see the name you have attached to your Gmail. If it's your real name you might want to try and find out how to disable that in settings or just flat out change the name in your settings. Just thought I'd point that out
@SocklessWonder

I really like the way that your puppy choosing system works! It made me from thinking of a bunch of dogs just subconsciously choosing people to be puppies, and I. Excited to know more.

Also, I'm in the same boat you are, I have no idea where I'm going with my story, it's just jumping all over the place

@Midgardschlange

For one thing, your story is still looking adorable, and I can't wait for day two to start! Chizzmeeeeee

And secondly, people not on mobile can see the name you have attached to your Gmail. If it's your real name you might want to try and find out how to disable that in settings or just flat out change the name in your settings. Just thought I'd point that out
7zcCDc4.png
@Midgardschlange @Myriadofstars @WiishfulThinking

I'm sorry I haven't been as active...I'm sick and the exhaustion and dizziness is wearing on me. Plus, I think I just adopted a headache.

It's all I can do to write anything. I will get back in the saddle soon, though!

@somnambulist

Idk if you wanted to be on the pinglist, but here's a first day reminder. Let me know if you want to have a daily reminder.

For Everyone: Please confirm whether you want to have a daily reminder ping. I'll get right on that as soon as the sloshing goo in my head goes away. I promise!
@Midgardschlange @Myriadofstars @WiishfulThinking

I'm sorry I haven't been as active...I'm sick and the exhaustion and dizziness is wearing on me. Plus, I think I just adopted a headache.

It's all I can do to write anything. I will get back in the saddle soon, though!

@somnambulist

Idk if you wanted to be on the pinglist, but here's a first day reminder. Let me know if you want to have a daily reminder.

For Everyone: Please confirm whether you want to have a daily reminder ping. I'll get right on that as soon as the sloshing goo in my head goes away. I promise!
b6f3d4ea76e68d8090de5809afe1f0105cf2c98e.pngoYfCraJ.png0HxJjfZ.gif TAzcwMk.gif
[b]Day 2[/b] cw: None The storm lasted for two days without showing any signs of weakening. If Chizzme wasn’t resting she spend most of her time clearing the entrance of the cave from the snow, that was more than once dangerously close to blocking her way out. Most dragons would feel trapped in this situation. On their own in a foreign land, without daylight and limited supplies for an uncertain amount of time. Surrounded only by all enveloping cold in a place, where any trace of warmth was regarded as luxury. Those who listen close enough might even claim the faint cracking of the ice above their heads to be of otherworldly origin; whispers and whimpers of ghosts long lost in the hostile wilderness of the frozen expanse. No doubt, it would drive lesser individuals to rash actions, they’d surely regret once it would be to late. Chizzme couldn’t relate. At that point she didn’t even have to make a conscious effort to hear the call; an ever present, steady rhythm in the back of her mind. Reassuring, yet somewhat demanding. It was due to the dual nature of the call, that made her leave her hideout quickly but not hastily. Sniffing the cold air, Chizzme closed her sensitive eyes against the brightness after spending so much time in the dark. Absently she noticed that the snowfall hadn’t stopped completely, but this wasn’t why she came to a sudden halt. Now the almost playful gusts carried not just frozen water drops. The foreign scent of another creature lingered in the air. Neither friend nor foe or animal Chizzme would have recognized. Something else. She took a deep breath through her nostrils and felt the fur of her back rising. [i]Massive. Powerful. Cunning. [/i] Chizzme instantly started to dive into the untouched, deep white; trying to cover her own smell with the one of the fresh, clean snow. Just like her fur, so this was purely based on instinct, while Chizzme herself hardly thought it necessary, but was unable to get rid of this peculiarity inherited from her wild ancestors. It was too late for such actions anyway. A dark, moving patch appeared in the white fields; its scent remaining strong and unidentified. It was already too close to flee it, for the snow was too deep to run and the icy currents above held the potential of tearing her wings to shreds. Briefly she went over her options. Then she sat down on her hindlegs and curled her tail around her paws; the pieces of her armor clicking against each other quietly. She didn’t need to wait long, a few minutes perhaps, until the large figure had crossed most of the distance between them. Its walk seemed oddly inexperienced; yet its short, sturdy legs carried it forward at an impressive speed. However, Chizzme couldn’t help but squint her eyes at the wings on the creatures back. Not a creature, she corrected herself. A dragon. wc: 489 [Hu, didn't get as far as I wanted, but well. At least I know very exactly where to start tomorrow [emoji=tundra tongue size=1]]
Day 2

cw: None

The storm lasted for two days without showing any signs of weakening. If Chizzme wasn’t resting she spend most of her time clearing the entrance of the cave from the snow, that was more than once dangerously close to blocking her way out.

Most dragons would feel trapped in this situation. On their own in a foreign land, without daylight and limited supplies for an uncertain amount of time. Surrounded only by all enveloping cold in a place, where any trace of warmth was regarded as luxury. Those who listen close enough might even claim the faint cracking of the ice above their heads to be of otherworldly origin; whispers and whimpers of ghosts long lost in the hostile wilderness of the frozen expanse. No doubt, it would drive lesser individuals to rash actions, they’d surely regret once it would be to late.

Chizzme couldn’t relate. At that point she didn’t even have to make a conscious effort to hear the call; an ever present, steady rhythm in the back of her mind. Reassuring, yet somewhat demanding.

It was due to the dual nature of the call, that made her leave her hideout quickly but not hastily. Sniffing the cold air, Chizzme closed her sensitive eyes against the brightness after spending so much time in the dark. Absently she noticed that the snowfall hadn’t stopped completely, but this wasn’t why she came to a sudden halt. Now the almost playful gusts carried not just frozen water drops.

The foreign scent of another creature lingered in the air. Neither friend nor foe or animal Chizzme would have recognized. Something else. She took a deep breath through her nostrils and felt the fur of her back rising.

Massive. Powerful. Cunning.

Chizzme instantly started to dive into the untouched, deep white; trying to cover her own smell with the one of the fresh, clean snow. Just like her fur, so this was purely based on instinct, while Chizzme herself hardly thought it necessary, but was unable to get rid of this peculiarity inherited from her wild ancestors.

It was too late for such actions anyway. A dark, moving patch appeared in the white fields; its scent remaining strong and unidentified. It was already too close to flee it, for the snow was too deep to run and the icy currents above held the potential of tearing her wings to shreds.

Briefly she went over her options. Then she sat down on her hindlegs and curled her tail around her paws; the pieces of her armor clicking against each other quietly.

She didn’t need to wait long, a few minutes perhaps, until the large figure had crossed most of the distance between them. Its walk seemed oddly inexperienced; yet its short, sturdy legs carried it forward at an impressive speed. However, Chizzme couldn’t help but squint her eyes at the wings on the creatures back.

Not a creature, she corrected herself. A dragon.

wc: 489

[Hu, didn't get as far as I wanted, but well. At least I know very exactly where to start tomorrow ]
fWKq08u.gif
@myriadofstars Thanks for pointing that out! I corrected this in the doc. And thanks for the praise too! It’s amazing you noticed that bit of information right away.

I’m most fascinated by Merlin and his skills regarding illusions. It’s also very sweet that only his mate can distinguish him from his copies – I sure hope we’ll be seeing more of them in your writing; preferable together. And the Emperor, the EMPEROR; I’m in love ~ Besides, Cassata seems to be kinda crazy? She really struck a deal with a beast like that? I wonder when things will go south …

@WiishfulThinking Honestly, it’s cute how you adore Chizzme! Have you seen her in my lair at any chance? Took me a while too gene her properly, but I’m very proud of her ^^ And thanks for telling me about the name-thingy – I made some changes according to that.

I can sooo relate to morning tiredness … but I totally disagree about being able to control when I go to sleep, like … I can’t? There might be people (and dragons) able to just close their eyes and drift off, but I’m definitely not one of them and I’m glad to see Jiari isn’t too. But I think his mother is kind of very harsh on him. After all he lost a dear friend to the forest and now, she just doesn’t mind sending him to the very place it happened again? Anyway, you captured Jiari’s nervousness and overall feelings very well! Good thing he got away before the forest got him too, but I fear one day he’ll need to go in there …

@SocklessWonder Oh well, that sounds really nasty … I hope you get better soon!
And to answer your question, I would really like to have a daily reminder ping!

Besides, I’m not quite sure what I did, but the link should (finally) work now. And here I thought I knew what I was doing …

I just gotta ask: is >magicked< a real word? I like how it sounds and I think the idea of being selected by dogs to be worthy of another life is very cute. Yet there are so many questions left and everything seems to only be a theory. Well, at least they have some sort of clue, what is/ was happening to Elena. Let’s see, how they get actual proof of it from here on out.
@myriadofstars Thanks for pointing that out! I corrected this in the doc. And thanks for the praise too! It’s amazing you noticed that bit of information right away.

I’m most fascinated by Merlin and his skills regarding illusions. It’s also very sweet that only his mate can distinguish him from his copies – I sure hope we’ll be seeing more of them in your writing; preferable together. And the Emperor, the EMPEROR; I’m in love ~ Besides, Cassata seems to be kinda crazy? She really struck a deal with a beast like that? I wonder when things will go south …

@WiishfulThinking Honestly, it’s cute how you adore Chizzme! Have you seen her in my lair at any chance? Took me a while too gene her properly, but I’m very proud of her ^^ And thanks for telling me about the name-thingy – I made some changes according to that.

I can sooo relate to morning tiredness … but I totally disagree about being able to control when I go to sleep, like … I can’t? There might be people (and dragons) able to just close their eyes and drift off, but I’m definitely not one of them and I’m glad to see Jiari isn’t too. But I think his mother is kind of very harsh on him. After all he lost a dear friend to the forest and now, she just doesn’t mind sending him to the very place it happened again? Anyway, you captured Jiari’s nervousness and overall feelings very well! Good thing he got away before the forest got him too, but I fear one day he’ll need to go in there …

@SocklessWonder Oh well, that sounds really nasty … I hope you get better soon!
And to answer your question, I would really like to have a daily reminder ping!

Besides, I’m not quite sure what I did, but the link should (finally) work now. And here I thought I knew what I was doing …

I just gotta ask: is >magicked< a real word? I like how it sounds and I think the idea of being selected by dogs to be worthy of another life is very cute. Yet there are so many questions left and everything seems to only be a theory. Well, at least they have some sort of clue, what is/ was happening to Elena. Let’s see, how they get actual proof of it from here on out.
fWKq08u.gif
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13