Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ-18] Mistral Meals: CLOSED
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 22
(Wow, the RNG gods REALLY do not like my dragons for whatever reason. Maybe changing up the species will help?) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36015639] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/360157/36015639_350.png[/img] [/url] The clan was still recovering from their losses the day before- it would have been bad enough suffering the loss of food, but the fact that the judges hadn't even gotten to taste the food was leaving Mora and Crow more than slightly bitter. But they were still determined to make the best of it, and so they had sent Carbry along, despite his protests that he didn't normally do well around even small groups of dragons, let alone an entire competition full of them. The autistic Pearldancer was left to grumble about the state of affairs the entire way to the competition grounds, despite Meliadoul's reassurances that today was a more sweet-based round and that rumors abounded that the judge sitting in was a bit more lenient with his judgement than the last two had apparently been. He didn't like that he was more or less being forced into the role of food preparation, but he would just have to fight down his anxiety over being surrounded by other, more skilled dragons and hope that his dish would impress. He'd been meaning to get out more and explore, anyway- what better way to do it than being around dragons who wouldn't mind if he went on long-winded speeches about the art of food preparation? He stepped up to the table, surveying all of the required ingredients that were placed before him- honeycomb fragments, nymphs, and honeybees. Part of Carbry panicked as he glanced them over- there was nothing even remotely resembling chocolate or sweets here, something that was normally his specialty! But perhaps...perhaps he could make something out of this yet. Honeycomb was still a delectable treat if utilized correctly, and it had some of the same flavors and textures as chocolate did, if one stretched their imagination. He could make a variation on a recipe of his to see if it was enough to wow the judges, and submit it for the criticism that was sure to follow. [i]Sweet Gladekeeper, please let the judge be at least SOMEWHAT merciful. And let me not fall victim to any freak accidents![/i] Snatching up the [b]honeycomb[/b] first, the Pearlcatcher was quick to slice it into even sections with a precision that clearly told of someone who knew their way around a kitchen. Leaving the honeycomb behind, he next whisked a small bar of [b]chocolate[/b] off of a nearby supply shelf, along with [b]butter[/b] and some form of [b]syrup[/b] that had been resting in a bottle. Looking over the cubes of honey that he had cut out with a critical eye, Carbry nodded silently, satisfied with the beginning part of the work. At least he hadn't actually had to make the honeycomb himself- gods above, his work would have been cut out for him and then some! Instead he grabbed the chocolate and a rolling pin, using the blunt object to carefully mash the bar up into small pieces. He was quick to do the same with the [b]nymphs[/b] and [b]honeybees[/b], trying to fight down the instinctive gag reflex that formed in his throat at the sight of the papery little bodies turning into minuscule fragments under his guidance. Setting the mixture of nymph and honeybees aside in a separate bowl, Carbry scooped the chocolate into a small bowl that was nearby, carefully adding chunks of butter into it along with the syrup. The Pearldancer male was then quick to build a small fire on top of the stove, holding the mixture above it so that it might be able to melt more easily. Several moments passed before he deemed the mixture of chocolate, butter, and syrup smooth enough to remove, carefully placing the pan down on one of the many heatproof tiles spread about the kitchen. Sweet Gladekeeper, he did NOT want a repeat of whatever had happened with Crow, even though he could be reassured that he didn't look quite as fiery as the warrior Snapper did. He took the honeycomb up then, dropping it into the mixture and stirring so that each cube he'd cut out was evenly coated. Using a scoop, he gently extracted the honeycomb once he was done- now came the tricky part. While the mixture was not quite set, he carefully added the blended nymphs and honeybees to the top of the cubes, creating a kind of coating that Carbry hoped would bring the desired affect to the dish. With any luck, if he managed to pull it off, it would fulfill the requirements of being sweet but having a slight crunch to it at the same time. Now the only thing left to do was freeze it- and thankfully, there were more than enough devices with Ice magic upon them within the kitchen to safely do so. Lining a small plate with foil to ensure that the honeycomb would not stick, the Pearlcatcher carefully set each small cube upon the tray, sliding them into the fridge in order to cool. He was left to sit and anxiously wind his claws together while he waited, a stim that bordered on being a nervous tic that helped keep his mind occupied and off of more troubling matters. Once the cubes were sufficiently chilled for the mixture on the top to harden, Carbry withdrew them, scooping the dish up within his claws as he carefully made his way around the kitchen- he wasn't going to very well leave it on the counter and risk yet another freak accident happening, not when he was so close to showing off a well-prepared dish! Once the cubes were cooled just enough to be edible, he placed the dish in front of the Tundra judge with a dip of his head, his tone slightly louder than it should have been as he spoke up. "Honeycomb crunches with a topping of blended nymphs and honeybees," he spoke, the look in his eyes practically pleading with the judge to hurry up and eat the food before bad luck saw it fit to strike.
(Wow, the RNG gods REALLY do not like my dragons for whatever reason. Maybe changing up the species will help?)

36015639_350.png

The clan was still recovering from their losses the day before- it would have been bad enough suffering the loss of food, but the fact that the judges hadn't even gotten to taste the food was leaving Mora and Crow more than slightly bitter. But they were still determined to make the best of it, and so they had sent Carbry along, despite his protests that he didn't normally do well around even small groups of dragons, let alone an entire competition full of them. The autistic Pearldancer was left to grumble about the state of affairs the entire way to the competition grounds, despite Meliadoul's reassurances that today was a more sweet-based round and that rumors abounded that the judge sitting in was a bit more lenient with his judgement than the last two had apparently been. He didn't like that he was more or less being forced into the role of food preparation, but he would just have to fight down his anxiety over being surrounded by other, more skilled dragons and hope that his dish would impress. He'd been meaning to get out more and explore, anyway- what better way to do it than being around dragons who wouldn't mind if he went on long-winded speeches about the art of food preparation?

He stepped up to the table, surveying all of the required ingredients that were placed before him- honeycomb fragments, nymphs, and honeybees. Part of Carbry panicked as he glanced them over- there was nothing even remotely resembling chocolate or sweets here, something that was normally his specialty! But perhaps...perhaps he could make something out of this yet. Honeycomb was still a delectable treat if utilized correctly, and it had some of the same flavors and textures as chocolate did, if one stretched their imagination. He could make a variation on a recipe of his to see if it was enough to wow the judges, and submit it for the criticism that was sure to follow. Sweet Gladekeeper, please let the judge be at least SOMEWHAT merciful. And let me not fall victim to any freak accidents! Snatching up the honeycomb first, the Pearlcatcher was quick to slice it into even sections with a precision that clearly told of someone who knew their way around a kitchen. Leaving the honeycomb behind, he next whisked a small bar of chocolate off of a nearby supply shelf, along with butter and some form of syrup that had been resting in a bottle. Looking over the cubes of honey that he had cut out with a critical eye, Carbry nodded silently, satisfied with the beginning part of the work. At least he hadn't actually had to make the honeycomb himself- gods above, his work would have been cut out for him and then some!

Instead he grabbed the chocolate and a rolling pin, using the blunt object to carefully mash the bar up into small pieces. He was quick to do the same with the nymphs and honeybees, trying to fight down the instinctive gag reflex that formed in his throat at the sight of the papery little bodies turning into minuscule fragments under his guidance. Setting the mixture of nymph and honeybees aside in a separate bowl, Carbry scooped the chocolate into a small bowl that was nearby, carefully adding chunks of butter into it along with the syrup. The Pearldancer male was then quick to build a small fire on top of the stove, holding the mixture above it so that it might be able to melt more easily. Several moments passed before he deemed the mixture of chocolate, butter, and syrup smooth enough to remove, carefully placing the pan down on one of the many heatproof tiles spread about the kitchen. Sweet Gladekeeper, he did NOT want a repeat of whatever had happened with Crow, even though he could be reassured that he didn't look quite as fiery as the warrior Snapper did.

He took the honeycomb up then, dropping it into the mixture and stirring so that each cube he'd cut out was evenly coated. Using a scoop, he gently extracted the honeycomb once he was done- now came the tricky part. While the mixture was not quite set, he carefully added the blended nymphs and honeybees to the top of the cubes, creating a kind of coating that Carbry hoped would bring the desired affect to the dish. With any luck, if he managed to pull it off, it would fulfill the requirements of being sweet but having a slight crunch to it at the same time. Now the only thing left to do was freeze it- and thankfully, there were more than enough devices with Ice magic upon them within the kitchen to safely do so. Lining a small plate with foil to ensure that the honeycomb would not stick, the Pearlcatcher carefully set each small cube upon the tray, sliding them into the fridge in order to cool. He was left to sit and anxiously wind his claws together while he waited, a stim that bordered on being a nervous tic that helped keep his mind occupied and off of more troubling matters.

Once the cubes were sufficiently chilled for the mixture on the top to harden, Carbry withdrew them, scooping the dish up within his claws as he carefully made his way around the kitchen- he wasn't going to very well leave it on the counter and risk yet another freak accident happening, not when he was so close to showing off a well-prepared dish! Once the cubes were cooled just enough to be edible, he placed the dish in front of the Tundra judge with a dip of his head, his tone slightly louder than it should have been as he spoke up. "Honeycomb crunches with a topping of blended nymphs and honeybees," he spoke, the look in his eyes practically pleading with the judge to hurry up and eat the food before bad luck saw it fit to strike.
6bbcbe9acf989176baa27b08e3311178ac4b7a7c.gif
[img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/201128/20112748.png?mtime=VwysdQAASdw.png[/img] [right][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/400597/40059665.png?mtime=Wri0LAAARp8.png[/img][/right] "Bugs!" wails Gelos in despair. "I've already failed at cooking with plants, how am I supposed to make something nice out of [i]bugs[/i]!?" Philophrosyne, however, is nodding in approval. "Finally, something sensible." Gelos peers up at her from where he has flung himself dramatically to the ground. "Well, that's easy for [i]you [/i]to say. I suppose you have plenty of ideas." His tone is sarcastic, and it causes Philophrosyne to cross her tiny arms over her chest and frown at him. "Yes, as it happens, I do." He springs up to the ground, wide-eyed. "You do? Save me, Phi!" She's more than used to his abrupt mood-swings, and her demeanor does not change. "Get those bugs into the ice box," she says, "and then see what you can do about getting some lettuce. We're making salad. ~ "What do you mean, put them in the water?" Gelos asks, dismayed, as Phi points at the pot bubbling happily on the stove-top. "Doesn't that ruin them?" "What do you know about how to cook bugs, Gelos? Nothing. You said so yourself. Take it from someone who actually eats the stuff: boiling 'em is the best way to cook them. Don't leave them in for more than a minute, though! Overdone bee is the [i]worst[/i]." He decides to take her word for it. "And then... the same with the nymphs?" "That's right. Okay, a minute on the timer - dump 'em in." ~ Philophrosyne squints, then nods in approval, watching Gelos carefully pat his boiled bugs dry. "Perfect." "If you say so," he says doubtfully. "And the honeycombs?" "That's back in your department. I'm sure you've got a recipe for a nice honey salad dressing, yeah? I'm pretty sure you can extract honey from honeycombs-" "Yes!" He leafs through his cookbook furiously. "Yes, here! You're a genius! Help me collect these seasonings..." ~ Gelos stares down at his completed entry. A gods-forsaken [i]insect salad[/i]. At least his honey dressing is perfect. Phi smacks his shoulder. "Don't look so glum. It doesn't look good to you because you don't eat insects. Trust me on this. Besides, it's not like you had any ideas." That much is true, he supposes. "Yeah, well. I'm not fiddling with it anymore. Let's wait for the judges. Maybe the third time's the charm?"
20112748.png?mtime=VwysdQAASdw.png
40059665.png?mtime=Wri0LAAARp8.png

"Bugs!" wails Gelos in despair. "I've already failed at cooking with plants, how am I supposed to make something nice out of bugs!?"

Philophrosyne, however, is nodding in approval. "Finally, something sensible."

Gelos peers up at her from where he has flung himself dramatically to the ground. "Well, that's easy for you to say. I suppose you have plenty of ideas."

His tone is sarcastic, and it causes Philophrosyne to cross her tiny arms over her chest and frown at him. "Yes, as it happens, I do."

He springs up to the ground, wide-eyed. "You do? Save me, Phi!"

She's more than used to his abrupt mood-swings, and her demeanor does not change. "Get those bugs into the ice box," she says, "and then see what you can do about getting some lettuce. We're making salad.

~

"What do you mean, put them in the water?" Gelos asks, dismayed, as Phi points at the pot bubbling happily on the stove-top. "Doesn't that ruin them?"

"What do you know about how to cook bugs, Gelos? Nothing. You said so yourself. Take it from someone who actually eats the stuff: boiling 'em is the best way to cook them. Don't leave them in for more than a minute, though! Overdone bee is the worst."

He decides to take her word for it. "And then... the same with the nymphs?"

"That's right. Okay, a minute on the timer - dump 'em in."

~

Philophrosyne squints, then nods in approval, watching Gelos carefully pat his boiled bugs dry. "Perfect."

"If you say so," he says doubtfully. "And the honeycombs?"

"That's back in your department. I'm sure you've got a recipe for a nice honey salad dressing, yeah? I'm pretty sure you can extract honey from honeycombs-"

"Yes!" He leafs through his cookbook furiously. "Yes, here! You're a genius! Help me collect these seasonings..."

~

Gelos stares down at his completed entry. A gods-forsaken insect salad. At least his honey dressing is perfect.

Phi smacks his shoulder. "Don't look so glum. It doesn't look good to you because you don't eat insects. Trust me on this. Besides, it's not like you had any ideas."

That much is true, he supposes. "Yeah, well. I'm not fiddling with it anymore. Let's wait for the judges. Maybe the third time's the charm?"
Artemis | She/her | FR+1
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23198461] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/231985/23198461_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] @L1BR4 Another entry...another colorful dust explosion coming from the sky. The jam on Lobelia's outfit is probably the least of Opal's concerns now. "You know, if I didn't know any better I would think they're launching them at us intentionally at this point," Ursus pointed out as he squinted up at the Cloudsong. "What do you say, ladies?" he asked with a mischievous voice, "Want to change up your recipe from popscicles to ice balls and we can retaliate?" "Ursus, I don't think even Meringue could save you if you bean a guest in the head with an [i]ice ball[/i]," Gourmet pointed out with a sigh as she arrived on the scene with cleaning supplies and food. @BirdyMe "Ok, even I have to say this is getting pretty ridiculous, and I [i]like[/i] ridiculous things," Ursus sighs as he looks at the now bright green and purple plate of what used to be honey friend insects. "We might need to track down an Arcane dragon to help us with a magical ceiling or something otherwise we're going to have a lot of wasted food." The color fruit had hit just as Garden and Eden were handing off the letter, so it unfortunately was caked in the colored dust as well. "Well it's just on the outside," the Tundra points out as he tries to brush some of it off, "It should still be readable so long as it doesn't get opened before we can get it to her." @Tomata The sudden onslaught of unintentional missles from the Cloudsong seemed to have finaly ceased (or at the very least, slowed), allowing Ursus to get back to business with judging, and Nami's dish was exactly what he needed to get back in the groove. "This is actualy a really clever idea, well done," he told the Nocturne before pulling another 'bee-ball' off his current skewer and popping it in his mouth. "You could probably also add some more variety of bugs on these as well, but for the purposes of this contest I can't really find anything to complain about."

@L1BR4

Another entry...another colorful dust explosion coming from the sky. The jam on Lobelia's outfit is probably the least of Opal's concerns now.

"You know, if I didn't know any better I would think they're launching them at us intentionally at this point," Ursus pointed out as he squinted up at the Cloudsong. "What do you say, ladies?" he asked with a mischievous voice, "Want to change up your recipe from popscicles to ice balls and we can retaliate?"

"Ursus, I don't think even Meringue could save you if you bean a guest in the head with an ice ball," Gourmet pointed out with a sigh as she arrived on the scene with cleaning supplies and food.

@BirdyMe

"Ok, even I have to say this is getting pretty ridiculous, and I like ridiculous things," Ursus sighs as he looks at the now bright green and purple plate of what used to be honey friend insects. "We might need to track down an Arcane dragon to help us with a magical ceiling or something otherwise we're going to have a lot of wasted food."

The color fruit had hit just as Garden and Eden were handing off the letter, so it unfortunately was caked in the colored dust as well. "Well it's just on the outside," the Tundra points out as he tries to brush some of it off, "It should still be readable so long as it doesn't get opened before we can get it to her."

@Tomata

The sudden onslaught of unintentional missles from the Cloudsong seemed to have finaly ceased (or at the very least, slowed), allowing Ursus to get back to business with judging, and Nami's dish was exactly what he needed to get back in the groove.

"This is actualy a really clever idea, well done," he told the Nocturne before pulling another 'bee-ball' off his current skewer and popping it in his mouth. "You could probably also add some more variety of bugs on these as well, but for the purposes of this contest I can't really find anything to complain about."
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20525486] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/205255/20525486_350.png[/img] [/url] [i]Third Meal: Canapés featuring a Micro Goat Cheese-Nymph Mousse and topped with a Honeybee suspended within a square of Honey[/i][/center] Hannibal quietly hums as he tears a few lumps of cheese into a food processor. After several pulses, the [b]nymphs[/b] are poured in, soon leaving the mash with a robin egg's tint. This is then spooned into a mixer, along with a bit of milk and several herbs and spices. Within another bowl, some whipping cream is beaten until firm; it too is folded into the mousse forming before him. And with a final mixing, the mousse is scooped into a piping bag and left to the side. A new mixer is pulled out, and a small stick of butter is gently creamed. He increases the speed and pours in a few spoonfuls of [b]honey[/b], along with a bit of salt; the new product is brushed over roughly twenty petite wedges of a artisan's bread, which is then arranged on a tray to be toasted. [center]~o~[/center] [i]A few minutes later...[/i] A boiling pot of honey–just scraped from its [b]comb[/b]–and water is closely observed until a thermometer beeps at exactly 234 degrees, at which point a grating of cardamon and vanilla is folded into the mix. This is allowed to cook (with frequent stirs) until it deepens to a rich golden hue. The pot is removed from the stove-top and quickly shifted to an awaiting baking sheet. Hannibal gazes down at the horizontal slices of the [b]honeybees[/b], each seeming to hold a minuscule flower beneath their foreleg, and gently pours a small amount of the honey syrup so that only a fine layer blankets their forms. This is moved to a shelf to properly cool. [center]~o~[/center] [i]Some minutes later...[/i] After being given a period to expel any excess heat, the little toasts are each piped with a swirl of the fragrant goat cheese-nymph mousse. Hannibal pulls over the tray containing the suspended bees and begins to peel a few away (secretly relieved that they do not shatter). One is inserted into the mousse's top by its "bottom" edge so that the figure within is arranged in almost a pastiche of flight. This is repeated until fifteen of the canapés are at last together. He places five on each plate, finishing it off with a swirl of honey along the edges.

20525486_350.png

Third Meal: Canapés featuring a Micro Goat Cheese-Nymph Mousse and topped with a Honeybee suspended within a square of Honey

Hannibal quietly hums as he tears a few lumps of cheese into a food processor. After several pulses, the nymphs are poured in, soon leaving the mash with a robin egg's tint. This is then spooned into a mixer, along with a bit of milk and several herbs and spices. Within another bowl, some whipping cream is beaten until firm; it too is folded into the mousse forming before him. And with a final mixing, the mousse is scooped into a piping bag and left to the side.

A new mixer is pulled out, and a small stick of butter is gently creamed. He increases the speed and pours in a few spoonfuls of honey, along with a bit of salt; the new product is brushed over roughly twenty petite wedges of a artisan's bread, which is then arranged on a tray to be toasted.
~o~

A few minutes later...

A boiling pot of honey–just scraped from its comb–and water is closely observed until a thermometer beeps at exactly 234 degrees, at which point a grating of cardamon and vanilla is folded into the mix. This is allowed to cook (with frequent stirs) until it deepens to a rich golden hue. The pot is removed from the stove-top and quickly shifted to an awaiting baking sheet. Hannibal gazes down at the horizontal slices of the honeybees, each seeming to hold a minuscule flower beneath their foreleg, and gently pours a small amount of the honey syrup so that only a fine layer blankets their forms. This is moved to a shelf to properly cool.
~o~

Some minutes later...

After being given a period to expel any excess heat, the little toasts are each piped with a swirl of the fragrant goat cheese-nymph mousse. Hannibal pulls over the tray containing the suspended bees and begins to peel a few away (secretly relieved that they do not shatter). One is inserted into the mousse's top by its "bottom" edge so that the figure within is arranged in almost a pastiche of flight. This is repeated until fifteen of the canapés are at last together.

He places five on each plate, finishing it off with a swirl of honey along the edges.

nMkuik2.gifsNtd9Dk.gif4AJs72V.pngl9DOymq.pngsNtd9Dk.gifRz7ZJcJ.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32657028] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/326571/32657028_350.png[/img] [/url] It’s now Aldanon’s turn to try and make something out of the ingredients. His recipes are known to be...well original, at least. No guarantees on the taste though. First, he breaks off a large piece of honeycomb. “This is gonna be your base, so make sure it has a bunch of...umm...those hexagonal chamber thingys,” Aldanon says with a completely serious expression. Then, the excess honey is scooped into the hollow spaces in the honeycomb so that the chambers are filled with delicious honey. “Now, all you gotta do is place the nymphs and honeybees in the honey-filled chamber! See, it looks like they’re sleeping, the poor things...I’d like to have a word with whoever thought these would be good to eat...” The wildclaw seems to be rambling now, so it’s safe to say that the dish—if you can really call it that—is finished. At least it’s...unique? Has a nice presentation?

32657028_350.png

It’s now Aldanon’s turn to try and make something out of the ingredients. His recipes are known to be...well original, at least. No guarantees on the taste though.

First, he breaks off a large piece of honeycomb. “This is gonna be your base, so make sure it has a bunch of...umm...those hexagonal chamber thingys,” Aldanon says with a completely serious expression.

Then, the excess honey is scooped into the hollow spaces in the honeycomb so that the chambers are filled with delicious honey. “Now, all you gotta do is place the nymphs and honeybees in the honey-filled chamber! See, it looks like they’re sleeping, the poor things...I’d like to have a word with whoever thought these would be good to eat...”

The wildclaw seems to be rambling now, so it’s safe to say that the dish—if you can really call it that—is finished. At least it’s...unique? Has a nice presentation?
4ZwFOyz.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37981698] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=171&bodygene=10&breed=6&element=5&gender=0&tert=44&tertgene=5&winggene=2&wings=105&auth=675f0c7c02a8d76a231a6a6ef3ace86bf2c739b3&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url] [item=honeycomb fragment][item=nymph][item=honeybee] Butter, vanilla extract, water, flour, pecans & confectioners sugar. [b][s]Mexican[/s] Sornieth-ian Wedding Cakes[/b][/center] Ville... well. He cried a little bit when his muffins were ruined. He couldn't help it! But it's another day! Ville recoiled as the ingredients for the day were revealed. Insects? In [i]his[/i] cooking? ...It may be more likely than he would have thought. If he wanted to compete he'd have to use them. Ville was stumped though, as a tundra baker, he had no clue what to do with the bugs. He had a stroke of inspiration looking (very morosely) at the husks of his muffins, still set on his work table from the day before. They were coated colored dust... almost like... WEDDING CAKES! Ville jumped up and down a bit in excitement. Wedding cakes! He was sure he could adapt the recipe to these ingredients, the cakes weren't very complicated after all. Ville gathered his ingredients, spreading them out on the table. First, he mixed a cup of butter, a little vanilla extract and some honey together. It wasn't getting as fluffy as it usually did though. The honey was gooey and the sugar he usually used was [i]not.[/i] Ville crushed up the bees until he had a half cup, mixing it in with the rest. Finally! It was a bit fluffier now! However, Ville had been planning on using the bees as a substitute for pecans. [i]Hmm.[/i] Ville finally shrugged in defeat and went to find chopped pecans. Once found, he put the pecans, flour & a small bit of water into the mix. With the dough made, he started up the oven and began forming the dough into little balls. And into the oven went the cookies! As they cooked Ville started working on the covering. Normally, he'd only use confectioners sugar. Today, he decided to mash the nymphs up with a bit more honey to make a glaze. The cookies didn't need very long though, only around 15 minutes before Ville took them out to cool. He finished up his glaze and coated the still warm cookies in it. Once the glazed cookies were cooled, Ville rolled them around in a pan of confectioners sugar, making sure they got fully coated. Ville proudly put the wedding cakes on a lidded platter (No color bomb was going to ruin these!) and presented them to the judges. [b]"Pecan wedding cakes using crushed honeybees in place of sugar and with a glaze of mashed nymphs and honey! I hope you like them!"[/b] - - - - - (Apparently these are also called russian tea cakes, snowballs & some other stuff. Though I've only ever known them as mexican wedding cakes. But ohh do I love them!)

dragon?age=1&body=171&bodygene=10&breed=6&element=5&gender=0&tert=44&tertgene=5&winggene=2&wings=105&auth=675f0c7c02a8d76a231a6a6ef3ace86bf2c739b3&dummyext=prev.png

Honeycomb Fragment Nymph Honeybee
Butter, vanilla extract, water, flour, pecans & confectioners sugar.

Mexican Sornieth-ian Wedding Cakes

Ville... well. He cried a little bit when his muffins were ruined. He couldn't help it!

But it's another day!

Ville recoiled as the ingredients for the day were revealed. Insects? In his cooking? ...It may be more likely than he would have thought. If he wanted to compete he'd have to use them. Ville was stumped though, as a tundra baker, he had no clue what to do with the bugs.

He had a stroke of inspiration looking (very morosely) at the husks of his muffins, still set on his work table from the day before. They were coated colored dust... almost like...

WEDDING CAKES!

Ville jumped up and down a bit in excitement. Wedding cakes! He was sure he could adapt the recipe to these ingredients, the cakes weren't very complicated after all.

Ville gathered his ingredients, spreading them out on the table.
First, he mixed a cup of butter, a little vanilla extract and some honey together. It wasn't getting as fluffy as it usually did though. The honey was gooey and the sugar he usually used was not. Ville crushed up the bees until he had a half cup, mixing it in with the rest. Finally! It was a bit fluffier now!

However, Ville had been planning on using the bees as a substitute for pecans. Hmm. Ville finally shrugged in defeat and went to find chopped pecans. Once found, he put the pecans, flour & a small bit of water into the mix. With the dough made, he started up the oven and began forming the dough into little balls.

And into the oven went the cookies! As they cooked Ville started working on the covering. Normally, he'd only use confectioners sugar. Today, he decided to mash the nymphs up with a bit more honey to make a glaze. The cookies didn't need very long though, only around 15 minutes before Ville took them out to cool. He finished up his glaze and coated the still warm cookies in it. Once the glazed cookies were cooled, Ville rolled them around in a pan of confectioners sugar, making sure they got fully coated.

Ville proudly put the wedding cakes on a lidded platter (No color bomb was going to ruin these!) and presented them to the judges.

"Pecan wedding cakes using crushed honeybees in place of sugar and with a glaze of mashed nymphs and honey! I hope you like them!"

- - - - -
(Apparently these are also called russian tea cakes, snowballs & some other stuff. Though I've only ever known them as mexican wedding cakes. But ohh do I love them!)
NcSflKP.png
My bones are made of feathers, and my heart beats with the breeze.
D91RBvR.pnglHdQ8WC.gifOY3P2op.png
NQaOZu9.png
stW7qZC.png
IbGi8gf.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33678641] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/336787/33678641_350.png[/img] [/url] The unusually large guardian approached the large gathering of other dragons with a skip in her step. Whenever her eyes landed on anything, ingredients, the tents, the slab, and even fellow competitors, she merely beamed with joy. Her large grin seemed to have become a permanent fixture on her face. “Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about,” mumbled the golden spiral that was comfortably wrapped around her neck, “but if you're having a good time then I guess that's all that matters.” Evana barely nodded in acknowledgement as she continue to strut towards the ingredients. “I've heard they've tried to pass off some weird things as ingredients here,” He stared off, lost in thought, before chuckling ever-so-slightly. “Just watch, you may finally have something that you can't combine into food.” Evana turned to Ammolite, grin still plastered to her face. “If thats the case then I have one word for you,” she paused for dramatic effect before whisper shouting, “Soup!” “I guess we'll just have to wait and see.” he grinned. When they arrived at the tent and were finally given the ingredients Ammolite paled. “What the! Is this some kind of joke! You can't even make soup out of that! How in the...” Ammolite continued to drone on and on. While a look of disappointment overcame Evana. Ammolite finally taking notice tried his best to console his companion, “Hey it's okay, I'm sure you can make something work.” “I thought this was supposed to be a challenge,” She said stiffly, “I-I may have gotten the wrong ingredients.” He rolled his eyes, “you’re crazy.” She gave him a wink and a charming smile and went to work. She quickly squeezed out all of the goo and juices from the plump Nymph. Neatly she set aside the still intact skin. “you'll see,” she said in response to Ammolite’s incredulous face. She gathered an assortment of sweet spices and one by one mixed in cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Using a syringe, the now jelly like concoction was used to refill the nymph to its former glory. She absentmindedly popped the nymph into a low heated furnace while turning her full attention to the pile of bees. With tiny flicks of her wrists, one by one she gently plucked off the delicate wings. Using steady claws she dipped them, one at a time, into a dish of water and then a small bowl of sugar before forming the wings into a neat and tidy pile. She took the honeycomb and strained it until she had produced a fine golden honey. The now cooked Nymph was placed in the center of a platter that would be suitable for the meals presentation. She took the wings and using tiny drops of honey glued them on and around her centerpiece until it was thoroughly encased in a sugary chrysalis. Using the remainder of the honey, she artfully drizzled it across the platter. Ammolite was speechless as Evana lifted up the platter and proclaimed, “Voila!”

33678641_350.png

The unusually large guardian approached the large gathering of other dragons with a skip in her step. Whenever her eyes landed on anything, ingredients, the tents, the slab, and even fellow competitors, she merely beamed with joy. Her large grin seemed to have become a permanent fixture on her face.
“Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about,” mumbled the golden spiral that was comfortably wrapped around her neck, “but if you're having a good time then I guess that's all that matters.” Evana barely nodded in acknowledgement as she continue to strut towards the ingredients. “I've heard they've tried to pass off some weird things as ingredients here,” He stared off, lost in thought, before chuckling ever-so-slightly. “Just watch, you may finally have something that you can't combine into food.”
Evana turned to Ammolite, grin still plastered to her face. “If thats the case then I have one word for you,” she paused for dramatic effect before whisper shouting, “Soup!”
“I guess we'll just have to wait and see.” he grinned.
When they arrived at the tent and were finally given the ingredients Ammolite paled. “What the! Is this some kind of joke! You can't even make soup out of that! How in the...” Ammolite continued to drone on and on. While a look of disappointment overcame Evana. Ammolite finally taking notice tried his best to console his companion, “Hey it's okay, I'm sure you can make something work.”
“I thought this was supposed to be a challenge,” She said stiffly, “I-I may have gotten the wrong ingredients.”
He rolled his eyes, “you’re crazy.”
She gave him a wink and a charming smile and went to work.

She quickly squeezed out all of the goo and juices from the plump Nymph. Neatly she set aside the still intact skin. “you'll see,” she said in response to Ammolite’s incredulous face. She gathered an assortment of sweet spices and one by one mixed in cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Using a syringe, the now jelly like concoction was used to refill the nymph to its former glory.
She absentmindedly popped the nymph into a low heated furnace while turning her full attention to the pile of bees. With tiny flicks of her wrists, one by one she gently plucked off the delicate wings. Using steady claws she dipped them, one at a time, into a dish of water and then a small bowl of sugar before forming the wings into a neat and tidy pile.
She took the honeycomb and strained it until she had produced a fine golden honey. The now cooked Nymph was placed in the center of a platter that would be suitable for the meals presentation. She took the wings and using tiny drops of honey glued them on and around her centerpiece until it was thoroughly encased in a sugary chrysalis. Using the remainder of the honey, she artfully drizzled it across the platter.
Ammolite was speechless as Evana lifted up the platter and proclaimed, “Voila!”

3Mji0Ul.png
@IngeniousSpark @Perrydotto @L1BR4 @JinxMoonstone @ArcticFire @Tomata @Cheshly @Lonefox @SilverQuark @Daemonengrau @LiveSky @browncoatparadox @riseandshine @Skyfire7

Day 4 is up!
@IngeniousSpark @Perrydotto @L1BR4 @JinxMoonstone @ArcticFire @Tomata @Cheshly @Lonefox @SilverQuark @Daemonengrau @LiveSky @browncoatparadox @riseandshine @Skyfire7

Day 4 is up!
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33070705] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/330708/33070705_350.png[/img] [/url] Hecate seemed a bit frazzled this time around. She had woken up late after a night of festivities, and had basically rolled out of bed and ran straight to the competition. Every few minutes she was overcome with a long, loud yawn that seemed to be bothering a few of the dragons near by. As Gourmet spoke with the judge of the day, Hecate stared blankly up at them. Her eyes were half closed, and her head was beginning to droop to one side. However, at the sight of that scrumptious turkey, her fins perked up. She had just realized that she had forgotten to grab any breakfast, and her stomach was now growling with anticipation. The presence pf fungi and soylent only put a slight damper on her hunger. As soon as the buzzer sounded Hecate got to work. She wanted to make something that she truly enjoyed, hoping there would be enough for her to get some too. She ran to the pantry and grabbed a few ingredients including: turkey stock, unsalted butter, a small yellow onion (chopped), diseased fungus (along with a few other types of mushrooms), carnaroli rice, incorporeal dinner (shredded), parmesan (also shredded), soylent blue (liquified), and flat-leaf parsley (chopped). Hecate began by pouring the stock into a pot on medium heat. She stirred it for a minute before reducing the heat and covering the pot to begin work on something else. In another pot on medium heat, she melted her butter until it began to foam. She then added the onion, and sautéd until soft. Once to her liking, she poured in the fungus and mushrooms, stirring lightly for about seven minutes. At this point she added in the rice, coating it with the mixture. Hecate then started adding in the warm stock, slowly, with small portions at a time. She stirred constantly, letting her mind wander off to think about how delicious this would be once it was finally done. In total, it was about 20 minutes of just pouring stock and stirring, but it smelled delicious, so it was well worth it. At this point she added in the shredded incorporeal dinner, parmesan, and just a bit of butter, stirring it again until nicely combined. Hecate placed out a few bowls, making sure there was one for herself, and poured the picture in, garnishing with chopped parsley and a drizzle of liquified soylent blue.

33070705_350.png

Hecate seemed a bit frazzled this time around. She had woken up late after a night of festivities, and had basically rolled out of bed and ran straight to the competition. Every few minutes she was overcome with a long, loud yawn that seemed to be bothering a few of the dragons near by. As Gourmet spoke with the judge of the day, Hecate stared blankly up at them. Her eyes were half closed, and her head was beginning to droop to one side. However, at the sight of that scrumptious turkey, her fins perked up. She had just realized that she had forgotten to grab any breakfast, and her stomach was now growling with anticipation. The presence pf fungi and soylent only put a slight damper on her hunger.

As soon as the buzzer sounded Hecate got to work. She wanted to make something that she truly enjoyed, hoping there would be enough for her to get some too. She ran to the pantry and grabbed a few ingredients including: turkey stock, unsalted butter, a small yellow onion (chopped), diseased fungus (along with a few other types of mushrooms), carnaroli rice, incorporeal dinner (shredded), parmesan (also shredded), soylent blue (liquified), and flat-leaf parsley (chopped).

Hecate began by pouring the stock into a pot on medium heat. She stirred it for a minute before reducing the heat and covering the pot to begin work on something else. In another pot on medium heat, she melted her butter until it began to foam. She then added the onion, and sautéd until soft. Once to her liking, she poured in the fungus and mushrooms, stirring lightly for about seven minutes.

At this point she added in the rice, coating it with the mixture. Hecate then started adding in the warm stock, slowly, with small portions at a time. She stirred constantly, letting her mind wander off to think about how delicious this would be once it was finally done. In total, it was about 20 minutes of just pouring stock and stirring, but it smelled delicious, so it was well worth it. At this point she added in the shredded incorporeal dinner, parmesan, and just a bit of butter, stirring it again until nicely combined.

Hecate placed out a few bowls, making sure there was one for herself, and poured the picture in, garnishing with chopped parsley and a drizzle of liquified soylent blue.

Clan_Emblem_Cheshly.png

FR +3
She/Her
Clan Lore
Challenge Log
Wishlist & Goals
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39487814] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/394879/39487814.png[/img] [/url][right][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8744743] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/87448/8744743.png[/img] [/url][/right] Apparently, getting your meal ruined was something that happened quite often at Mistral Meals. The fire of day one, now this… whatever it was, and surely something had happened on day two too, just that day Cadie had left early to avoid [i]Alma [/i]becoming the reason why everything went south. "Can I say I hate the Cloudsong without getting lynched?", Cadie'd groaned, brushing the dust off herself. "You're being impulsive", Marcie'd answered. "But technically, since we're living in the Twisting Crescendo, not the Cloudsong, you can. I still wouldn't do that if I was you, though, since you're not a quarter-" "Shut up. This isn't funny." Also apparently, getting her dish ruined was something that didn't drove Marcie up the wall, but back into the tent the next day. Cadie'd tried to find someone else to assist her, but Elliot still wasn't allowed to go out, Celeste wasn't into cooking the slightest bit, and Alma – ok, nope, she would [i]definitely not[/i] take Alma with her again. Also, every try to bribe Mika into contradicting his mate failed. On the other hand, Cadie totally didn't want to miss the contest, so in the end, she grudgingly allowed Marcie to come. Not that Marcie cared if she was allowed or not, of course. (Though she probably should – Cadie trained everyday since she got the news of the emperor in light flight. It wouldn't be pleasant to have to fight her, the Imp mused.) "Oh, I already know what to do", Cadies says once they enter the tent. Marcie is baffled. She hasn't even had a look at the ingredients so far, how can the tinier Wildclaw know about them? Or maybe she just bluffed. But she wouldn't do that, right? They're partners after all, not rivals. "Salad", the black dragon continues. "Look; all of those ingredients fit. We can make dressing out of the soylent." "Nah…", Marcie counters. "Salad is a little uninspired, don't you think? And honestly, I wouldn't eat Diseased Funghi raw. I'd rather make a ragout… we'd have to figure out what to do with the soylent, but-" "No. I said Salad. End of the discussion." Cadie turns towards the ingredients. Marcie grabs the Wildclaw's wing and spins her around. That's not as gentle as she usually behaves around other dragons, but she just has to have a word with her. "What is wrong with you?!", she bursts out. "You behave like a [i]hatchling[/i]! Do you even know how to cook? If you'd learned it like I did, you'd definitely not put seafood and raw funghi together! And think of the possibility of food poisoning!" "If you'd learned it like [i]I [/i]did-", Cadie starts. But then, she hesitates and goes silent. "Forget it", she says after a while. "We're making whatever it was you suggested." "No." Marcie brings her head down to look the smaller dragon right in the eye. "What did you want to say?" The Wildclaw sighs, defeated. "If you'd learned cooking like [i]I [/i]did", she says softly, "on warm stones near a creek, unable not to use literally [i]each and every thing[/i] you got your claws on through the day because the next morning it would be gone anyway – you'd be just as inventive as I am. And I know that the taste is questionable at its best. But at least better than starving." The Imp closes her eyes. As she opens them again, there's a funny spark shining in it, and her tone is light. "I wouldn't describe you as inventive, you know. I'd say jack-of-all-trades." She grins. "And I think that's just the skill we need for working with the soylent." Cadie smiles. "Well, how about dumplings, then?" "Perfect." Marcie immediately turns away and grabs an [b]Incorporeal Dinner[/b] and a clawfull of [b]Diseased Fungus[/b], both of wich she starts to cut into pieces which look at least a bit like squares. "Normally, I'd use chicken and milder mushrooms, but I think these are fine as well, what do you think?" The Wildclaw shrugs while she sets a pot of water on the stove and puts a few potatoes in it. "I don't know the recipe. Nor have I tasted your ragout until now. But I guess you know what you do." Suddenly, it doesn't feel uncomfortable around the stove any more. Marcie starts to roast both the Funghi and the – um, let's just call it meat – one after another, then scratches the rests into a bowl. It isn't easy with big claws like hers, and she's glad as Cadie takes over without any comment. She checks on the potatoes instead, but they'll still need about ten minutes. As she gets the pan back, she sets up a roux, then adds some heavy cream and a little water. The Imperial adds a few pinches of salt, sugar and vegetable stock, lets the sauce simmer for a minute, then puts the meat and Funghi back in. Cadie's tired of waiting now, so she drains the potatoes and peels, then mashes them. She adds the [b]Soylent Blue[/b], softened butter, eggwhites, starch and salt and starts to knead. [i]Ack[/i], her claws will be [i]so [/i]messed up. "I'll roast bread cubes for you, okay?", Marcie asks, setting the pan aside. The ragout is ready; making dumplings takes longer than she remembers, though, and she is sure that this is exactly [i]why [/i]she doesn't remember. Such a grind. "Yeah…", the Wildclaw answers. "And please set up a pot of boiling water while you're at it." Finally, the dumpling dough is finished, and she can form dumpings with bread squares in their middle. Marcie would offer her help, but then again, her claws are [i]still [/i]too big for a precision like Cadie's. At last, they let the duplings steep for about twenty minutes, then serve them with the ragout, which is still warm but not, like, [i]burning hot[/i] anymore. "Smells nice", Marcie notes. "You think so?", the black dragon asks. "I don't like the fishy part, but at least no insects for today." The Imp shrugs. "Well, whatever the judge says, I think we've done good. Let's just hope no fruit will fall on our heads this time." … "You know, I definitely need to learn Coatl." "If you wish… I'm bad at languages, you know. I'm glad Mika is a Nocturne – I don't even need to explain myself anymore." "Yeah, well… but isn't that boring…?" [size=1](Sorry for mistakes.) (Well, like said, a little personal... (shrugs) The recipe is actually Zurich ragout - I ended up calling it ragout somehow... hope it's clear what I meant...)[/size]

39487814.png

Apparently, getting your meal ruined was something that happened quite often at Mistral Meals. The fire of day one, now this… whatever it was, and surely something had happened on day two too, just that day Cadie had left early to avoid Alma becoming the reason why everything went south.
"Can I say I hate the Cloudsong without getting lynched?", Cadie'd groaned, brushing the dust off herself.
"You're being impulsive", Marcie'd answered. "But technically, since we're living in the Twisting Crescendo, not the Cloudsong, you can. I still wouldn't do that if I was you, though, since you're not a quarter-"
"Shut up. This isn't funny."
Also apparently, getting her dish ruined was something that didn't drove Marcie up the wall, but back into the tent the next day. Cadie'd tried to find someone else to assist her, but Elliot still wasn't allowed to go out, Celeste wasn't into cooking the slightest bit, and Alma – ok, nope, she would definitely not take Alma with her again. Also, every try to bribe Mika into contradicting his mate failed. On the other hand, Cadie totally didn't want to miss the contest, so in the end, she grudgingly allowed Marcie to come. Not that Marcie cared if she was allowed or not, of course. (Though she probably should – Cadie trained everyday since she got the news of the emperor in light flight. It wouldn't be pleasant to have to fight her, the Imp mused.)

"Oh, I already know what to do", Cadies says once they enter the tent.
Marcie is baffled. She hasn't even had a look at the ingredients so far, how can the tinier Wildclaw know about them? Or maybe she just bluffed. But she wouldn't do that, right? They're partners after all, not rivals.
"Salad", the black dragon continues. "Look; all of those ingredients fit. We can make dressing out of the soylent."
"Nah…", Marcie counters. "Salad is a little uninspired, don't you think? And honestly, I wouldn't eat Diseased Funghi raw. I'd rather make a ragout… we'd have to figure out what to do with the soylent, but-"
"No. I said Salad. End of the discussion." Cadie turns towards the ingredients.
Marcie grabs the Wildclaw's wing and spins her around. That's not as gentle as she usually behaves around other dragons, but she just has to have a word with her. "What is wrong with you?!", she bursts out. "You behave like a hatchling! Do you even know how to cook? If you'd learned it like I did, you'd definitely not put seafood and raw funghi together! And think of the possibility of food poisoning!"
"If you'd learned it like I did-", Cadie starts. But then, she hesitates and goes silent. "Forget it", she says after a while. "We're making whatever it was you suggested."
"No." Marcie brings her head down to look the smaller dragon right in the eye. "What did you want to say?"
The Wildclaw sighs, defeated. "If you'd learned cooking like I did", she says softly, "on warm stones near a creek, unable not to use literally each and every thing you got your claws on through the day because the next morning it would be gone anyway – you'd be just as inventive as I am. And I know that the taste is questionable at its best. But at least better than starving."
The Imp closes her eyes. As she opens them again, there's a funny spark shining in it, and her tone is light. "I wouldn't describe you as inventive, you know. I'd say jack-of-all-trades." She grins. "And I think that's just the skill we need for working with the soylent."
Cadie smiles. "Well, how about dumplings, then?"
"Perfect." Marcie immediately turns away and grabs an Incorporeal Dinner and a clawfull of Diseased Fungus, both of wich she starts to cut into pieces which look at least a bit like squares. "Normally, I'd use chicken and milder mushrooms, but I think these are fine as well, what do you think?"
The Wildclaw shrugs while she sets a pot of water on the stove and puts a few potatoes in it. "I don't know the recipe. Nor have I tasted your ragout until now. But I guess you know what you do."
Suddenly, it doesn't feel uncomfortable around the stove any more. Marcie starts to roast both the Funghi and the – um, let's just call it meat – one after another, then scratches the rests into a bowl. It isn't easy with big claws like hers, and she's glad as Cadie takes over without any comment. She checks on the potatoes instead, but they'll still need about ten minutes.
As she gets the pan back, she sets up a roux, then adds some heavy cream and a little water. The Imperial adds a few pinches of salt, sugar and vegetable stock, lets the sauce simmer for a minute, then puts the meat and Funghi back in.
Cadie's tired of waiting now, so she drains the potatoes and peels, then mashes them. She adds the Soylent Blue, softened butter, eggwhites, starch and salt and starts to knead. Ack, her claws will be so messed up.
"I'll roast bread cubes for you, okay?", Marcie asks, setting the pan aside. The ragout is ready; making dumplings takes longer than she remembers, though, and she is sure that this is exactly why she doesn't remember. Such a grind.
"Yeah…", the Wildclaw answers. "And please set up a pot of boiling water while you're at it."
Finally, the dumpling dough is finished, and she can form dumpings with bread squares in their middle. Marcie would offer her help, but then again, her claws are still too big for a precision like Cadie's. At last, they let the duplings steep for about twenty minutes, then serve them with the ragout, which is still warm but not, like, burning hot anymore.
"Smells nice", Marcie notes.
"You think so?", the black dragon asks. "I don't like the fishy part, but at least no insects for today."
The Imp shrugs. "Well, whatever the judge says, I think we've done good. Let's just hope no fruit will fall on our heads this time."

"You know, I definitely need to learn Coatl."
"If you wish… I'm bad at languages, you know. I'm glad Mika is a Nocturne – I don't even need to explain myself anymore."
"Yeah, well… but isn't that boring…?"

(Sorry for mistakes.)
(Well, like said, a little personal... (shrugs) The recipe is actually Zurich ragout - I ended up calling it ragout somehow... hope it's clear what I meant...)
frcomm48.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 22