Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Mobile friendliness?
Are there any plans to make a mobile friendly version of the site? It’s really surprising to me that despite being around for so long, FR still doesn’t have a mobile version of the site— or at least one that adapts the layout for the smaller screen size.

As a software developer who has done web design work in the past, I get that it’s a fairly massive undertaking to fully make a mobile version of the site from scratch, but there has to be a way to make things like gathering and going through your horde more accessible to players who primarily use their phone.

Is something like this even in the roadmap? I try and keep up with the dev updates so maybe I’ve missed something, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen mobile friendliness discussed. Like, yeah I can fully use the site on mobile, but it’s a sub optimal experience compared to using it on my iPad or my desktop. Like even a simple reactive layout that will resize things like the size of the icons in the gathering page and horde to make it easier to click on specific items would make the mobile experience 100x better imo
Are there any plans to make a mobile friendly version of the site? It’s really surprising to me that despite being around for so long, FR still doesn’t have a mobile version of the site— or at least one that adapts the layout for the smaller screen size.

As a software developer who has done web design work in the past, I get that it’s a fairly massive undertaking to fully make a mobile version of the site from scratch, but there has to be a way to make things like gathering and going through your horde more accessible to players who primarily use their phone.

Is something like this even in the roadmap? I try and keep up with the dev updates so maybe I’ve missed something, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen mobile friendliness discussed. Like, yeah I can fully use the site on mobile, but it’s a sub optimal experience compared to using it on my iPad or my desktop. Like even a simple reactive layout that will resize things like the size of the icons in the gathering page and horde to make it easier to click on specific items would make the mobile experience 100x better imo
FR works perfectly fine on mobile. Coli works, the fairgrounds work for the most part, lair editing works since the update. What exactly are you having problems with on mobile?
FR works perfectly fine on mobile. Coli works, the fairgrounds work for the most part, lair editing works since the update. What exactly are you having problems with on mobile?
sBdLZtA.png
If I'm remembering the dev updates correctly they can't implement sitewide design stuff until the whole site is moved to the new www1 server :/ hopefully after that we'll hear some more specifics
If I'm remembering the dev updates correctly they can't implement sitewide design stuff until the whole site is moved to the new www1 server :/ hopefully after that we'll hear some more specifics
wq9PoXA.png
Yeah, we gotta wait until the site is completelybon the new server for 100% mobile friendliness. But, until then, it works just fine for me, I play fr on mobile a good 75% of the time.
Yeah, we gotta wait until the site is completelybon the new server for 100% mobile friendliness. But, until then, it works just fine for me, I play fr on mobile a good 75% of the time.
899b13958bd8dd6201cfc8808fbe7689b2ce2e3d.png
FbBE7dN.png
bYt72YT.png
y2UYCzJ.png
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
Ap2AjBP.gif
o090-d01-Sinornis.pngo090-d02-Sinornis.pngo090-d03-Sinornis.pngo090-d04-Sinornis.pngo090-d05-Sinornis.png
I play FR on my iPad and it works pretty well. On my phone it’s not super great though, my biggest gripe is attaching items in PM/CR. There’s a search function in the hoard, please give it to me in CR too :(
I play FR on my iPad and it works pretty well. On my phone it’s not super great though, my biggest gripe is attaching items in PM/CR. There’s a search function in the hoard, please give it to me in CR too :(
1xcX4j2.gif
Id definitely like more mobile improvements, im exclusively a phone player since my comp died.
The game works great as it is thankfully, especially compared to other games, but a lot could be improved.

Itd be nice if we eventually got an adaptive layout to make button pressing easier. Dressing room is impossible as you cant reorder anything, copy pasting auto selects everything on the page making code boxes virtually useless for anything simple like image links, reordering dragons is hard because it wont register when you try to drag sometimes- same with apparel reordering and removing apparel takes forever since it has to refresh after every single one, the zoom setting resets after every refresh (like removing apparel) so simple tasks can become more annoying than necessary.
Ads often reset the zoom or close the keyboard so mis-clicking and leaving the page or deleting whatever you have selected or coded specifically in bios, is pretty easy to do (thankfully forums save what you have written with the back button, but in my experience, bios do not).

I'm not asking for insane things, definitely don't want an app, but I think an account option for adaptive layouts would be good for desktop too as they work both ways and snap to a maximum and minimum size, as well as adapting what is visible with multiple tabs open in different proportions.

I personally don't like that the massive monitor I used at a friend's house ages ago showed the game at the same set width as on a much smaller screen. You can zoom, sure, but there is no way to make the site wide-screen or adapt it at all. Havign FR open in two tabs cut off parts of the site, and there is no way to change that.
I think having the option would be a nice improvement for the site in the future.

A lot of what an adaptive layout could provide could double for accessibility too.
Id definitely like more mobile improvements, im exclusively a phone player since my comp died.
The game works great as it is thankfully, especially compared to other games, but a lot could be improved.

Itd be nice if we eventually got an adaptive layout to make button pressing easier. Dressing room is impossible as you cant reorder anything, copy pasting auto selects everything on the page making code boxes virtually useless for anything simple like image links, reordering dragons is hard because it wont register when you try to drag sometimes- same with apparel reordering and removing apparel takes forever since it has to refresh after every single one, the zoom setting resets after every refresh (like removing apparel) so simple tasks can become more annoying than necessary.
Ads often reset the zoom or close the keyboard so mis-clicking and leaving the page or deleting whatever you have selected or coded specifically in bios, is pretty easy to do (thankfully forums save what you have written with the back button, but in my experience, bios do not).

I'm not asking for insane things, definitely don't want an app, but I think an account option for adaptive layouts would be good for desktop too as they work both ways and snap to a maximum and minimum size, as well as adapting what is visible with multiple tabs open in different proportions.

I personally don't like that the massive monitor I used at a friend's house ages ago showed the game at the same set width as on a much smaller screen. You can zoom, sure, but there is no way to make the site wide-screen or adapt it at all. Havign FR open in two tabs cut off parts of the site, and there is no way to change that.
I think having the option would be a nice improvement for the site in the future.

A lot of what an adaptive layout could provide could double for accessibility too.
button_97x95.png[ Please do not PM me. 1623960663678.png
DSfOOlg.png
68388386.png 1623960663678.png 68483984.png
Always will support a more mobile friendly way to at least play games/coli.

When the LG stylo 4 was still a brand new phone, and when I was using it for FR, I couldn't play fairground games or do coli. Glitter and gloom? Nope, tidal trouble? Nope. Coli? Nope, I can't do anything sadly. I exclusively play on mobile and it's a huge pain
Always will support a more mobile friendly way to at least play games/coli.

When the LG stylo 4 was still a brand new phone, and when I was using it for FR, I couldn't play fairground games or do coli. Glitter and gloom? Nope, tidal trouble? Nope. Coli? Nope, I can't do anything sadly. I exclusively play on mobile and it's a huge pain
Emperor_Banner.png

Former Plague || Ping if you need anything
So, I just did a forum search for past topics on this (because I decided to try playing on my phone recently and it's been very frustrating), and it seems to be brought up as a suggestion every year.

It's good to read that apparently they specifically can't do this until a certain move that was mentioned above? I hope that means this is strongly being considered after that.

The biggest issues for me are having to zoom in to click on things (and still missing, which means waiting for the page to load, going back, waiting for that to load... it adds up quickly), or try clicking on the category header, waiting for a page to load, and then clicking on the page you actually want. It adds extra steps that start out being only 1-2 minutes, but quickly add up to feel like 75% of my actions being waiting/zooming/messing up.

It makes sense that they haven't done it if they don't have the resources to do it, but I would like to put my hat in as another person who desperately wishes it moves up on their priority list.

As with other websites that have a mobile site, one can open their phone browser's settings (usually the tab at the top right when searching) and check the box for desktop site. Then players would get to keep things how we have them now.

I do not mean changing any major features, or reprogramming games. I pretty much only mean improving the sitemap navigation. Make all the navigation links buttons, or at least bigger. Organize them into a grid for a mobile homepage. Something like that.

I adore FR, but I just don't play on my phone because it gives me headaches to do so many extra steps for something I am used to being simple.

As a minimal example, Chicken Smoothie has a mobile site. It's excellent, and exactly what I mean we need. All that changes is the sizing and hide-ability of the top navigation, and browsing areas like the forums properly fills up the screen rather than requiring unnecessary zooming-in.

Again, it makes me happy to read that we are being gated from the changes and that is the reason why. I hope it can change someday.
So, I just did a forum search for past topics on this (because I decided to try playing on my phone recently and it's been very frustrating), and it seems to be brought up as a suggestion every year.

It's good to read that apparently they specifically can't do this until a certain move that was mentioned above? I hope that means this is strongly being considered after that.

The biggest issues for me are having to zoom in to click on things (and still missing, which means waiting for the page to load, going back, waiting for that to load... it adds up quickly), or try clicking on the category header, waiting for a page to load, and then clicking on the page you actually want. It adds extra steps that start out being only 1-2 minutes, but quickly add up to feel like 75% of my actions being waiting/zooming/messing up.

It makes sense that they haven't done it if they don't have the resources to do it, but I would like to put my hat in as another person who desperately wishes it moves up on their priority list.

As with other websites that have a mobile site, one can open their phone browser's settings (usually the tab at the top right when searching) and check the box for desktop site. Then players would get to keep things how we have them now.

I do not mean changing any major features, or reprogramming games. I pretty much only mean improving the sitemap navigation. Make all the navigation links buttons, or at least bigger. Organize them into a grid for a mobile homepage. Something like that.

I adore FR, but I just don't play on my phone because it gives me headaches to do so many extra steps for something I am used to being simple.

As a minimal example, Chicken Smoothie has a mobile site. It's excellent, and exactly what I mean we need. All that changes is the sizing and hide-ability of the top navigation, and browsing areas like the forums properly fills up the screen rather than requiring unnecessary zooming-in.

Again, it makes me happy to read that we are being gated from the changes and that is the reason why. I hope it can change someday.
eP65k0J.png
[quote name="Dracowolfie" date="2022-01-06 14:47:16" ] So, I just did a forum search for past topics on this (because I decided to try playing on my phone recently and it's been very frustrating), and it seems to be brought up as a suggestion every year. It's good to read that apparently they specifically can't do this until a certain move that was mentioned above? I hope that means this is strongly being considered after that. The biggest issues for me are having to zoom in to click on things (and still missing, which means waiting for the page to load, going back, waiting for that to load... it adds up quickly), or try clicking on the category header, waiting for a page to load, and then clicking on the page you actually want. It adds extra steps that start out being only 1-2 minutes, but quickly add up to feel like 75% of my actions being waiting/zooming/messing up. It makes sense that they haven't done it if they don't have the resources to do it, but I would like to put my hat in as another person who desperately wishes it moves up on their priority list. As with other websites that have a mobile site, one can open their phone browser's settings (usually the tab at the top right when searching) and check the box for desktop site. Then players would get to keep things how we have them now. I do not mean changing any major features, or reprogramming games. I pretty much only mean improving the sitemap navigation. Make all the navigation links buttons, or at least bigger. Organize them into a grid for a mobile homepage. Something like that. I adore FR, but I just don't play on my phone because it gives me headaches to do so many extra steps for something I am used to being simple. As a minimal example, Chicken Smoothie has a mobile site. It's excellent, and exactly what I mean we need. All that changes is the sizing and hide-ability of the top navigation, and browsing areas like the forums properly fills up the screen rather than requiring unnecessary zooming-in. Again, it makes me happy to read that we are being gated from the changes and that is the reason why. I hope it can change someday. [/quote] I'm seconding it being a pain to zoom in and out of things but aside from that I think the site works fine on mobile. Just would need a few QoL things to be perfect. I support anything that makes the mobile version easier to use
Dracowolfie wrote on 2022-01-06 14:47:16:

I'm seconding it being a pain to zoom in and out of things but aside from that I think the site works fine on mobile. Just would need a few QoL things to be perfect.

I support anything that makes the mobile version easier to use
p1Pjh8S.png

p110et9.gif By Sesshin

[img][/img]
It doesn't surprise me that it hasn't been done yet (as the site revamp isn't finished) but some basic bootstrap grids and column/menu adaptability would be a boon and I can personally vouch for it not being very difficult to implement.
It doesn't surprise me that it hasn't been done yet (as the site revamp isn't finished) but some basic bootstrap grids and column/menu adaptability would be a boon and I can personally vouch for it not being very difficult to implement.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png