Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gender change
1 2 3
Have that PERFECT dragon that you really love? Then you notice the gender and your heart sinks. What you see in your PERFECT dragon is in the wrong gender! What if we had an option to change the gender of dragons if we like the colors and patterns and the breed but not the gender? Let me know what you guys think! And should there be a limit on how many times it could be used in a month?
Have that PERFECT dragon that you really love? Then you notice the gender and your heart sinks. What you see in your PERFECT dragon is in the wrong gender! What if we had an option to change the gender of dragons if we like the colors and patterns and the breed but not the gender? Let me know what you guys think! And should there be a limit on how many times it could be used in a month?
I definitely agree with the idea! I've seen sites where this was very successful without impacting any stats of the site itself too hard and impacting just the breeding and gender for the dragon.

A month would be a good reasonable limitation on how often you could use it. If it has to be longer than a month, 2 or 3 months is also good. Much like we recently got the boon that let us borrow time from the next breeding cycle to speed up the current one, perhaps this could impact similarly as well? Like, yes, you'd be able to breed immediately if it was already ready to breed, but it would take breeding time + a half a cycle to be ready to breed after the gender switch, and then from there on out have normal breeding cooldowns?

Also thinking that it would be another great item to perhaps even put in the gem marketplace so as not to abuse the use of it? Make sure you're REALLY serious about this change like you would be a gem gene, a Boon of Fertility, or a Wildclaw or Coatl breed change.
I definitely agree with the idea! I've seen sites where this was very successful without impacting any stats of the site itself too hard and impacting just the breeding and gender for the dragon.

A month would be a good reasonable limitation on how often you could use it. If it has to be longer than a month, 2 or 3 months is also good. Much like we recently got the boon that let us borrow time from the next breeding cycle to speed up the current one, perhaps this could impact similarly as well? Like, yes, you'd be able to breed immediately if it was already ready to breed, but it would take breeding time + a half a cycle to be ready to breed after the gender switch, and then from there on out have normal breeding cooldowns?

Also thinking that it would be another great item to perhaps even put in the gem marketplace so as not to abuse the use of it? Make sure you're REALLY serious about this change like you would be a gem gene, a Boon of Fertility, or a Wildclaw or Coatl breed change.
rlfh5f.jpg
No support.
Being able to swap genders takes the difficulty away.
You are currently unable to change two things, element and gender, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Also, what if you've bred that dragon? Suddenly the offspring has two parents of the same gender.

No support.
Being able to swap genders takes the difficulty away.
You are currently unable to change two things, element and gender, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Also, what if you've bred that dragon? Suddenly the offspring has two parents of the same gender.

Wxlfiez
they/them | FRT + 3 | Wishlist
11-Headed Primal Emperor Quest
__________________________________ wolfies_shop_sig_button.png
Sorry, but in my opinion this is something that should have been implemented with the site itself, not something added mid-stream so to speak.

Most other sites I have seen with sex change options have their breeding set up completely differently to FR's.

On Gryffs, there are no sexes, any gryff, related or not, can breed with any other gryff, however, each gryff must have full energy and food in order to successfully breed, or the user has to pay about 10K to breed them. (has to buy a breeding token, which I think is one for 10K or 3 for 27K). You only get one chick from the breeding.

Aywas has multiple genders, but they affect absolutely nothing. Their breeding system is so complicated that even after being told multiple times, I still can't quite grasp it (I know you need various items for various genus pets but beyond that..?) Even then you only get one, potentially two, babies that are created by the site artists.

All other sites I have seen mentioned in regards to this are similar to those. Because those items were, presumably, created with the site, the developers could put in other 'challenges' to breeding other than needing to find a male/female pairing.

FR has none of that. Beyond a simple % energy (which is quite easy to keep up), a 7 generation rule, cooldowns and the sexes needed, there is nothing in place to cut down the number of dragons being brought into the game. You can get anywhere from 1 to 5 hatchlings per nest, and once the nest is empty you can immediately fill it again with another couple. Lair slots are bought with treasure and unless you have hit the cap, can usually be fairly easily increased if you are motivated enough. On Gryffs, the lair slots are bought with tokens, their equivalent to gems, 1 token per 1 lair slot. (though they are generous with free slots). Aywas doesn't need a lair slot restriction with their breeding rules, but even so, you still need specific items that can either be found, bought with BP or bought with GP to increase your lair cap.

So, while other sites may have this, that doesn't mean that it will work on FR.
Sorry, but in my opinion this is something that should have been implemented with the site itself, not something added mid-stream so to speak.

Most other sites I have seen with sex change options have their breeding set up completely differently to FR's.

On Gryffs, there are no sexes, any gryff, related or not, can breed with any other gryff, however, each gryff must have full energy and food in order to successfully breed, or the user has to pay about 10K to breed them. (has to buy a breeding token, which I think is one for 10K or 3 for 27K). You only get one chick from the breeding.

Aywas has multiple genders, but they affect absolutely nothing. Their breeding system is so complicated that even after being told multiple times, I still can't quite grasp it (I know you need various items for various genus pets but beyond that..?) Even then you only get one, potentially two, babies that are created by the site artists.

All other sites I have seen mentioned in regards to this are similar to those. Because those items were, presumably, created with the site, the developers could put in other 'challenges' to breeding other than needing to find a male/female pairing.

FR has none of that. Beyond a simple % energy (which is quite easy to keep up), a 7 generation rule, cooldowns and the sexes needed, there is nothing in place to cut down the number of dragons being brought into the game. You can get anywhere from 1 to 5 hatchlings per nest, and once the nest is empty you can immediately fill it again with another couple. Lair slots are bought with treasure and unless you have hit the cap, can usually be fairly easily increased if you are motivated enough. On Gryffs, the lair slots are bought with tokens, their equivalent to gems, 1 token per 1 lair slot. (though they are generous with free slots). Aywas doesn't need a lair slot restriction with their breeding rules, but even so, you still need specific items that can either be found, bought with BP or bought with GP to increase your lair cap.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Bleeeh, this again?

As ever, I only support this if it is

A: An expensive gem item that's used to swap the sexes
B: Limited to be used only on dragons that haven't been bred

I don't think there should be any limit to how many times it is done, barring your own gem supply.
Bleeeh, this again?

As ever, I only support this if it is

A: An expensive gem item that's used to swap the sexes
B: Limited to be used only on dragons that haven't been bred

I don't think there should be any limit to how many times it is done, barring your own gem supply.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Yeah, no support. It'd take the challenge out of the game, and it'd affect the breeding system to the point where the whole breeding system itself would have to be recoded. Maybe such a feature would work if the game were different, or if the feature had been added at the beginning of the game, but it just wouldn't work with FR's current system.
Yeah, no support. It'd take the challenge out of the game, and it'd affect the breeding system to the point where the whole breeding system itself would have to be recoded. Maybe such a feature would work if the game were different, or if the feature had been added at the beginning of the game, but it just wouldn't work with FR's current system.
jC0MHtC.png zYK7yAB.gif
Jacob
male pronouns pls

interests:
captain harlock, genshin impact,
zelda, space battleship yamato,
star trek, stargate, mlp, lotr
xx CnNBdW0.png
No one would be forced to use the item, though. If you wanted to preserve any challenge, you could just ignore the item and continue as normal. It wouldn't really matter. It'd be a completely optional feature.

I actually support this, but I think it should only be available for dragons that haven't been bred yet. Just to avoid any potential conflicts that could break stuff on a technical level. I've had a ton of frustration with trying to breed/find ideal dragons that are the correct gender, especially for rare/hard to find color and gene combos.

I also think that the scroll should be fairly expensive and/or a "limit-one" type deal for a dragon-- that is, you'd have to think long and hard before using it because there is no undoing. Once a dragon's gender has been swapped, it's swapped for good. Mostly to prevent exploiting the item.
No one would be forced to use the item, though. If you wanted to preserve any challenge, you could just ignore the item and continue as normal. It wouldn't really matter. It'd be a completely optional feature.

I actually support this, but I think it should only be available for dragons that haven't been bred yet. Just to avoid any potential conflicts that could break stuff on a technical level. I've had a ton of frustration with trying to breed/find ideal dragons that are the correct gender, especially for rare/hard to find color and gene combos.

I also think that the scroll should be fairly expensive and/or a "limit-one" type deal for a dragon-- that is, you'd have to think long and hard before using it because there is no undoing. Once a dragon's gender has been swapped, it's swapped for good. Mostly to prevent exploiting the item.
tumblr_o2e270evMu1ualrxeo1_500.png
The thing is? 'Don't use it if you don't like it' doesn't actually work that well on multiplayer games. What one user does affects another user. Sometimes that will be in a positive way, sometimes in a negative way. There are few items that wouldn't affect another user in some way, even the popular pose change scroll would affect other users in that they may make more or fewer sales (ie someone wants a male tundra with specific colors. If they don't have one, they might buy a female tundra with those colors and pose change it, but if they already have a female tundra, they aren't likely to buy a male one unless they need it to breed as male)

To me, since this would allow more dragons (since it opens up previously unbreedable pairs) this would impact other users in a negative way. More dragons in the economy means lower dragon prices.

I don't feel we need to make breeding EASIER, especially since there are no additional incentives to exalt dragons. I feel we need more incentive to EXALT more dragons rather than BREED more dragons.

I also am firmly against 'one time per dragon' items. Imagine buying a dragon that you wanted to swap the sex on, you buy the item, which if it exists should be pricey, going to the dragon and it doesn't show up because the owner of the dragon swapped the sex then decided they didn't want it anymore. It hasn't been bred, but it is just one of those things that the user thought 'I want this dragon' but after it grew up, they decided that they didn't like it (I have done this before, bought hatchlings and when they grew up, I was like 'I don't know why I bought this dragon')

This goes for ANY item, not just a sex change scroll. if it can be applied to a dragon, it either needs to A) have a reversal scroll and be able to be reapplied (ala Eternal Youth scrolls), B) Be infinitely applicable (ala scatterscrolls) or C) the dragon reverts back to original upon the dragon leaving the lair (in anyway) and be applicable to the dragon once it is in the new lair (we don't have any examples of this)
The thing is? 'Don't use it if you don't like it' doesn't actually work that well on multiplayer games. What one user does affects another user. Sometimes that will be in a positive way, sometimes in a negative way. There are few items that wouldn't affect another user in some way, even the popular pose change scroll would affect other users in that they may make more or fewer sales (ie someone wants a male tundra with specific colors. If they don't have one, they might buy a female tundra with those colors and pose change it, but if they already have a female tundra, they aren't likely to buy a male one unless they need it to breed as male)

To me, since this would allow more dragons (since it opens up previously unbreedable pairs) this would impact other users in a negative way. More dragons in the economy means lower dragon prices.

I don't feel we need to make breeding EASIER, especially since there are no additional incentives to exalt dragons. I feel we need more incentive to EXALT more dragons rather than BREED more dragons.

I also am firmly against 'one time per dragon' items. Imagine buying a dragon that you wanted to swap the sex on, you buy the item, which if it exists should be pricey, going to the dragon and it doesn't show up because the owner of the dragon swapped the sex then decided they didn't want it anymore. It hasn't been bred, but it is just one of those things that the user thought 'I want this dragon' but after it grew up, they decided that they didn't like it (I have done this before, bought hatchlings and when they grew up, I was like 'I don't know why I bought this dragon')

This goes for ANY item, not just a sex change scroll. if it can be applied to a dragon, it either needs to A) have a reversal scroll and be able to be reapplied (ala Eternal Youth scrolls), B) Be infinitely applicable (ala scatterscrolls) or C) the dragon reverts back to original upon the dragon leaving the lair (in anyway) and be applicable to the dragon once it is in the new lair (we don't have any examples of this)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I agree with Jemadar - 'don't like don't use' doesn't work when the suggestion has economic ramifications, and the current status of gender being set in stone does have such an impact; this would make obtaining breeding pairs/projects/your perfect g1 easier, and as such punishes people who choose not to use it. There's a concept in game theory called the dominant strategy, and wherever it applies, 'don't like don't use' immediately fails, because users have to go out of their way and employ less effective means of playing a game in order to avoid it.

I don't have as strong a negative opinion on this as I do, say, same-sex breeding or changing a dragon's individual colors, but this is one of those suggestions that comes up constantly, and as usual, I don't support it unless it has similar caveats to what Greyjoy already brought up - difficult to obtain, and can't be used on bred dragons. The latter is because it would seriously mess up the site's coding regarding lineage trees.
I agree with Jemadar - 'don't like don't use' doesn't work when the suggestion has economic ramifications, and the current status of gender being set in stone does have such an impact; this would make obtaining breeding pairs/projects/your perfect g1 easier, and as such punishes people who choose not to use it. There's a concept in game theory called the dominant strategy, and wherever it applies, 'don't like don't use' immediately fails, because users have to go out of their way and employ less effective means of playing a game in order to avoid it.

I don't have as strong a negative opinion on this as I do, say, same-sex breeding or changing a dragon's individual colors, but this is one of those suggestions that comes up constantly, and as usual, I don't support it unless it has similar caveats to what Greyjoy already brought up - difficult to obtain, and can't be used on bred dragons. The latter is because it would seriously mess up the site's coding regarding lineage trees.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2018-07-07 11:32:50" ] Sorry, but in my opinion this is something that should have been implemented with the site itself, not something added mid-stream so to speak. Most other sites I have seen with sex change options have their breeding set up completely differently to FR's. On Gryffs, there are no sexes, any gryff, related or not, can breed with any other gryff, however, each gryff must have full energy and food in order to successfully breed, or the user has to pay about 10K to breed them. (has to buy a breeding token, which I think is one for 10K or 3 for 27K). You only get one chick from the breeding. Aywas has multiple genders, but they affect absolutely nothing. Their breeding system is so complicated that even after being told multiple times, I still can't quite grasp it (I know you need various items for various genus pets but beyond that..?) Even then you only get one, potentially two, babies that are created by the site artists. All other sites I have seen mentioned in regards to this are similar to those. Because those items were, presumably, created with the site, the developers could put in other 'challenges' to breeding other than needing to find a male/female pairing. FR has none of that. Beyond a simple % energy (which is quite easy to keep up), a 7 generation rule, cooldowns and the sexes needed, there is nothing in place to cut down the number of dragons being brought into the game. You can get anywhere from 1 to 5 hatchlings per nest, and once the nest is empty you can immediately fill it again with another couple. Lair slots are bought with treasure and unless you have hit the cap, can usually be fairly easily increased if you are motivated enough. On Gryffs, the lair slots are bought with tokens, their equivalent to gems, 1 token per 1 lair slot. (though they are generous with free slots). Aywas doesn't need a lair slot restriction with their breeding rules, but even so, you still need specific items that can either be found, bought with BP or bought with GP to increase your lair cap. So, while other sites may have this, that doesn't mean that it will work on FR. [/quote] I don't quite feel like you're giving the proper comparison, however, though. The two sites you cited, Gryffs and Aywas, don't really have gender having bearing on the breeding like FR. Citing a more relevant example to the argument, Howrse has the gender change but also presents unique challenges to the breeding, including that your horse has to have enough energy to breed, which makes you have to think wisely about what you can logically do. Yes, Howrse in essence has unlimited space for your horses, but not unlimited health/energy. FR comes with the unique challenge of lairspace, conversely, in addition to having to have enough energy (so if you're underfeeding, well, that's your problemo. And honestly, the item SHOULD be limited to unbred dragons. Say, one you -just- hatched that would be perfect for a breeding pair, if it were male instead of female. Or you've been looking forever for ONE female with the RIGHT genes and colors for, say, a fandragon pair that it's not really "I'm going to sell the babies, I want to just be able to make their fanchildren a reality on a pixel dragon site", but all the dragons you want with that specific color and gene combo are MALE but all unbred. THAT'S the kind of thing this is for. Honestly, I can understand if it turned out to be a coding nightmare, that's in the staff's hands. But your ordinary player might want it for "I just want the right one for my character or a fan-dragon". And don't make the excuse that "oh this site isn't about roleplay though". No, people have plenty of dragons they use as roleplay characters or want to have as that particular fandom character in their lore. To discount that is honestly a disservice to players who came here to have fun, not to constantly buy and sell in the dragon market. Not everyone plays the same way.
Jemadar wrote on 2018-07-07 11:32:50:

I don't quite feel like you're giving the proper comparison, however, though. The two sites you cited, Gryffs and Aywas, don't really have gender having bearing on the breeding like FR.

Citing a more relevant example to the argument, Howrse has the gender change but also presents unique challenges to the breeding, including that your horse has to have enough energy to breed, which makes you have to think wisely about what you can logically do. Yes, Howrse in essence has unlimited space for your horses, but not unlimited health/energy.

FR comes with the unique challenge of lairspace, conversely, in addition to having to have enough energy (so if you're underfeeding, well, that's your problemo.

And honestly, the item SHOULD be limited to unbred dragons. Say, one you -just- hatched that would be perfect for a breeding pair, if it were male instead of female. Or you've been looking forever for ONE female with the RIGHT genes and colors for, say, a fandragon pair that it's not really "I'm going to sell the babies, I want to just be able to make their fanchildren a reality on a pixel dragon site", but all the dragons you want with that specific color and gene combo are MALE but all unbred. THAT'S the kind of thing this is for.

Honestly, I can understand if it turned out to be a coding nightmare, that's in the staff's hands. But your ordinary player might want it for "I just want the right one for my character or a fan-dragon". And don't make the excuse that "oh this site isn't about roleplay though". No, people have plenty of dragons they use as roleplay characters or want to have as that particular fandom character in their lore. To discount that is honestly a disservice to players who came here to have fun, not to constantly buy and sell in the dragon market. Not everyone plays the same way.
rlfh5f.jpg
1 2 3