Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Beauty salon experiences and stories
Hi everyone! For my birthday I got myself a cheap wee beauty package for a nearby salon. It includes a facial, hand massage, pedicure, eyebrow and eyelash tint, eyebrow shape and foot soak. Thing is, I've got no idea what to expect! So, tell me your beauty salon experiences and stories! (Or anything similar). I don't mind whether it's funny or weird, I'd love to read them :)
Thank you!
Hi everyone! For my birthday I got myself a cheap wee beauty package for a nearby salon. It includes a facial, hand massage, pedicure, eyebrow and eyelash tint, eyebrow shape and foot soak. Thing is, I've got no idea what to expect! So, tell me your beauty salon experiences and stories! (Or anything similar). I don't mind whether it's funny or weird, I'd love to read them :)
Thank you!
@Miaow
ohgosh happy bday dude. that hand massage sounds heavenly!

for me the most 'beauty salon' thing ive ever done was have my friend rub chocolate fondue on my face and on their own. it got nice and warm and felt like my face was melting, but in a good way.

the closest thing to a hand massage was the otherday in lab when we were doing out blood typing, my finger got stabbed and a boy was squishing my hand to make it bleed more, aside from the bleeding it felt alright. C:
@Miaow
ohgosh happy bday dude. that hand massage sounds heavenly!

for me the most 'beauty salon' thing ive ever done was have my friend rub chocolate fondue on my face and on their own. it got nice and warm and felt like my face was melting, but in a good way.

the closest thing to a hand massage was the otherday in lab when we were doing out blood typing, my finger got stabbed and a boy was squishing my hand to make it bleed more, aside from the bleeding it felt alright. C:
9iRlGyC.png
Tomboy here, I kind of try to avoid salons, due to price. Plus my nails and eyebrows are so bad that they would run screaming from the building anyway. That being said, it is only at the most girly beauty and hair salon in town that I can find a person willing to cut my partner's hair. He has long, thick hair with very tight curls and the barber shops won't touch it. The women at the salon do not care though, they coo over how lovely his hair is and trim the ends so that he can grow it longer. They treat him so well. The other customers getting their nails and eyebrows (and whatever else that happens at beauty salons) done used to get all upset that their was a guy in their "girl zone" but the salon ladies basically told them that any man willing to get his hair cut in a place that most other men dare not step foot in (for fear of damaging not their masculinity) was perfectly welcome.

He always complains that his hair smells funny afterwards, but I know he likes all the pampering that they give him. I am just glad that someone is willing to cut his hair around here, for a while it did not look like anyone ever would.
Tomboy here, I kind of try to avoid salons, due to price. Plus my nails and eyebrows are so bad that they would run screaming from the building anyway. That being said, it is only at the most girly beauty and hair salon in town that I can find a person willing to cut my partner's hair. He has long, thick hair with very tight curls and the barber shops won't touch it. The women at the salon do not care though, they coo over how lovely his hair is and trim the ends so that he can grow it longer. They treat him so well. The other customers getting their nails and eyebrows (and whatever else that happens at beauty salons) done used to get all upset that their was a guy in their "girl zone" but the salon ladies basically told them that any man willing to get his hair cut in a place that most other men dare not step foot in (for fear of damaging not their masculinity) was perfectly welcome.

He always complains that his hair smells funny afterwards, but I know he likes all the pampering that they give him. I am just glad that someone is willing to cut his hair around here, for a while it did not look like anyone ever would.
@Miaow Nothing is really that exciting.. I go every so often for haircuts, manicures, eyebrow waxes, hair coloring, had a pedicure once. When I go, the person working on me tends to make a lot of small talk (Im not a talkative person). But yeah, nothing too exciting. They'll guide you through stuff as needed and take care of you. =)
@Miaow Nothing is really that exciting.. I go every so often for haircuts, manicures, eyebrow waxes, hair coloring, had a pedicure once. When I go, the person working on me tends to make a lot of small talk (Im not a talkative person). But yeah, nothing too exciting. They'll guide you through stuff as needed and take care of you. =)
@Miaow Wow, that sounds amazing! I think I'd like to go to one of those fru-fru salons that offer you sparkling water when you come in and have stylists named "Leaf", but I'm not sure. </stereotype> (Oh and a spa...I've never been to one!)

*checks your list*

I've never had a facial and I can't remember if I've ever had a hand massage during a manicure. (I used to get manicures done for Prom and a couple of pageants I was in.) I've done a paraffin dip a few times, though, and that can seem weird! If I remember right, they stick your hand in a warm paraffin bath a few times (three or four layers) and then they stick a sandwich bag over your hand, so when they squeeze your hand and all the paraffin comes crackling off, it cleans up neatly. ;)

Pedi--one day! I run barefoot a lot and I bought foot cream to keep them soft, but I almost never remember to use it! (It's tough when I do, because hand sanitizer doesn't do a great job of taking it off my hands and I have to go to the bathroom before I apply it, because I know I should sit still for an hour or more.) Anyway, I figure that I should get a pedi about once a month or so (if I ever have the money) so someone can manage my dead, dry, cracked feet for me. (I get dead skin on my feet so bad that there are light brown spots on my toes sometimes from where it builds up.)

I've never met anyone willing to dye or tint brows and lashes because it can get into your eyes and do damage. (That's why I've always run around with black eyebrows and buttery blonde hair when I get it dyed!) Good luck on that one.

As for brow shaping...I've never had them waxed, but I've had them threaded. Wax is probably less painful because it opens your pores and makes it easier for the hair to come out. (Which is also why you should wait to pluck until right after a warm shower!) Threading...take a painkiller ahead of time and consider investing in a lidocaine cream to apply to your brows. I didn't do either and my eyes couldn't quit watering because it hurt so bad. (*shiver*)
@Miaow Wow, that sounds amazing! I think I'd like to go to one of those fru-fru salons that offer you sparkling water when you come in and have stylists named "Leaf", but I'm not sure. </stereotype> (Oh and a spa...I've never been to one!)

*checks your list*

I've never had a facial and I can't remember if I've ever had a hand massage during a manicure. (I used to get manicures done for Prom and a couple of pageants I was in.) I've done a paraffin dip a few times, though, and that can seem weird! If I remember right, they stick your hand in a warm paraffin bath a few times (three or four layers) and then they stick a sandwich bag over your hand, so when they squeeze your hand and all the paraffin comes crackling off, it cleans up neatly. ;)

Pedi--one day! I run barefoot a lot and I bought foot cream to keep them soft, but I almost never remember to use it! (It's tough when I do, because hand sanitizer doesn't do a great job of taking it off my hands and I have to go to the bathroom before I apply it, because I know I should sit still for an hour or more.) Anyway, I figure that I should get a pedi about once a month or so (if I ever have the money) so someone can manage my dead, dry, cracked feet for me. (I get dead skin on my feet so bad that there are light brown spots on my toes sometimes from where it builds up.)

I've never met anyone willing to dye or tint brows and lashes because it can get into your eyes and do damage. (That's why I've always run around with black eyebrows and buttery blonde hair when I get it dyed!) Good luck on that one.

As for brow shaping...I've never had them waxed, but I've had them threaded. Wax is probably less painful because it opens your pores and makes it easier for the hair to come out. (Which is also why you should wait to pluck until right after a warm shower!) Threading...take a painkiller ahead of time and consider investing in a lidocaine cream to apply to your brows. I didn't do either and my eyes couldn't quit watering because it hurt so bad. (*shiver*)
Animated%20Lauren-sm_zpswflpqod1.pngSleeping%20Meroe_zpsgdmhbnxs.gifmaGQFx6.png
Hi everyone, sorry this reply is so late. The salon was wonderful and the lady was ever so lovely, she explained everything that was happening and I just want to go again!

@somersault Thank you! :) It was. Wow! Did you have chocolate dribbling into your mouth, sounds awesome. I assume that your blood was being tested and someone wasn't just squishing your bleeding handy for fun? Thank you for replying!

@JaranMarcel That's really sweet! And I hope those people complaining really get over it. Pretty sure public salons are for the public, not just girls lol. That's such an awesome story :) Thank you for calming my nerves!

@Ravette You were right, a lot of small talk. Lucky I can talk til the cows come home so it wasn't a problem. Turns out her and I went to the same high school so that got us on a topic we could chat about. How regularly do you go? I want to go again but don;t think my wallet will thank me if I go to frequently haha. Thank you for the lovely reply :)

@WitchyWriter I did get offered water! But my stylists name was Kate, maybe not as interesting as Leaf but she was lovely. The paraffin dip sounds so satisfying, what does it do to your skin? My eyelash and eyebrow tinting went well, my right eye felt a bit stingy but as I lay there as she rinsed it out with warm water I figured I've always still got my left eye. I also got my eyebrows waxed and it was nowhere near as bad as I though it would be. Just like ripping off a bandaid. And youch, threading sounds evil! Thank you for such a cool reply :)
Hi everyone, sorry this reply is so late. The salon was wonderful and the lady was ever so lovely, she explained everything that was happening and I just want to go again!

@somersault Thank you! :) It was. Wow! Did you have chocolate dribbling into your mouth, sounds awesome. I assume that your blood was being tested and someone wasn't just squishing your bleeding handy for fun? Thank you for replying!

@JaranMarcel That's really sweet! And I hope those people complaining really get over it. Pretty sure public salons are for the public, not just girls lol. That's such an awesome story :) Thank you for calming my nerves!

@Ravette You were right, a lot of small talk. Lucky I can talk til the cows come home so it wasn't a problem. Turns out her and I went to the same high school so that got us on a topic we could chat about. How regularly do you go? I want to go again but don;t think my wallet will thank me if I go to frequently haha. Thank you for the lovely reply :)

@WitchyWriter I did get offered water! But my stylists name was Kate, maybe not as interesting as Leaf but she was lovely. The paraffin dip sounds so satisfying, what does it do to your skin? My eyelash and eyebrow tinting went well, my right eye felt a bit stingy but as I lay there as she rinsed it out with warm water I figured I've always still got my left eye. I also got my eyebrows waxed and it was nowhere near as bad as I though it would be. Just like ripping off a bandaid. And youch, threading sounds evil! Thank you for such a cool reply :)
@Miaow I think it's supposed to soften your skin. Probably not a whole lot of difference between that and the wax hands you can make at Renaissance faires and some places, except fewer layers (and I'm pretty sure paraffin and wax are quite different).

Glad you enjoyed yourself, though!
@Miaow I think it's supposed to soften your skin. Probably not a whole lot of difference between that and the wax hands you can make at Renaissance faires and some places, except fewer layers (and I'm pretty sure paraffin and wax are quite different).

Glad you enjoyed yourself, though!
Animated%20Lauren-sm_zpswflpqod1.pngSleeping%20Meroe_zpsgdmhbnxs.gifmaGQFx6.png
all I know about facials is apparently you shouldn't have them if you're going somewhere in a couple hours, especially if you're pale skinned and/or redden easily. Or, if you don't care about having red skin, then do you.

I get my hair done about 2x a year just to trim the split ends. I'm admittedly at my wits end with hair places because my hair is LONG, thick, and honestly I know I make stylists cry but I warned you and tip well so it's not my problem. When you have hair like mine, if anyone other than my usual hair lady does it all they talk about is this other client they had who had super long hair and then they cut it and oh gosh they love it now and am I thinking about taking off a couple inches today?

No. Put the scissors down D< (I also lie shamelessly when they ask how long it's been since I've had my hair done, because if I'm honest and say "six months" they try to cut off a ton of hair versus if I say I got a small trim two months ago- I take excellent care of hair so they never know, and if they do then they don't call me out on it).

I've never had a tint but if by 'eyebrow shape' you mean eyebrow wax, then if you're not routinely having waxing done it will probably hurt (just gonna call a spade a spade here). I've had my eyebrows done routinely for a long time and a) can go longer inbetween waxes with a small touch up I do myself by plucking a few select hairs and trimming down others b) waxing no longer hurts me. Like, at all. They maybe get a small twitch.

That being said, waxing is one of those things where any nerves on your end is worse than the actual experience. I could care less now since waxing doesn't bother me anymore, but it was totally worth it because my untamed hedge looking things were magically transformed into pretty eyebrows.

also; your eyebrows are sisters, not twins.

I love pedicures, they are so nice, and a soak/massage sounds delightful !!

Over all I really do love the experience at a salon, and I hope your lil package thingy is awesome.
all I know about facials is apparently you shouldn't have them if you're going somewhere in a couple hours, especially if you're pale skinned and/or redden easily. Or, if you don't care about having red skin, then do you.

I get my hair done about 2x a year just to trim the split ends. I'm admittedly at my wits end with hair places because my hair is LONG, thick, and honestly I know I make stylists cry but I warned you and tip well so it's not my problem. When you have hair like mine, if anyone other than my usual hair lady does it all they talk about is this other client they had who had super long hair and then they cut it and oh gosh they love it now and am I thinking about taking off a couple inches today?

No. Put the scissors down D< (I also lie shamelessly when they ask how long it's been since I've had my hair done, because if I'm honest and say "six months" they try to cut off a ton of hair versus if I say I got a small trim two months ago- I take excellent care of hair so they never know, and if they do then they don't call me out on it).

I've never had a tint but if by 'eyebrow shape' you mean eyebrow wax, then if you're not routinely having waxing done it will probably hurt (just gonna call a spade a spade here). I've had my eyebrows done routinely for a long time and a) can go longer inbetween waxes with a small touch up I do myself by plucking a few select hairs and trimming down others b) waxing no longer hurts me. Like, at all. They maybe get a small twitch.

That being said, waxing is one of those things where any nerves on your end is worse than the actual experience. I could care less now since waxing doesn't bother me anymore, but it was totally worth it because my untamed hedge looking things were magically transformed into pretty eyebrows.

also; your eyebrows are sisters, not twins.

I love pedicures, they are so nice, and a soak/massage sounds delightful !!

Over all I really do love the experience at a salon, and I hope your lil package thingy is awesome.
1_by_arisoune-d8x1kx1.png2_by_arisoune-d8x1kwq.png3_by_arisoune-d8x1kwk.png4_by_arisoune-d8x1kw8.png