Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Buying For Price-value ? (Not just me)
1 2
So I've been here a little while and I'm part of a skype group that has several other players who have been experiencing much of the same problem. Our dragons won't sell. Like, flat out will not sell, unless they're dirt cheap. Before anyone goes putting words in my mouth, yes, they've been priced reasonably, no, they aren't ugly (pardon my use of the term) highlighter "sparkledog" designs and some of them have been decent breeds, rare genes, etc. Keep in mind, this isn't just "my problem" a lot of folks (all different flights) I know have been having this issue. Sooo why are people wanting everything dirt-cheap all of a sudden? Comments?
So I've been here a little while and I'm part of a skype group that has several other players who have been experiencing much of the same problem. Our dragons won't sell. Like, flat out will not sell, unless they're dirt cheap. Before anyone goes putting words in my mouth, yes, they've been priced reasonably, no, they aren't ugly (pardon my use of the term) highlighter "sparkledog" designs and some of them have been decent breeds, rare genes, etc. Keep in mind, this isn't just "my problem" a lot of folks (all different flights) I know have been having this issue. Sooo why are people wanting everything dirt-cheap all of a sudden? Comments?
Too many dragons, not enough lair space.
Too many dragons, not enough lair space.
Gammass.gif
@NightSilh
My personal guess is that the market is just...well, oversaturated in general. People can go to the AH, and most of the time pick up plenty of pretty dragons for dirt cheap fodder prices, so unless a dragon is particularly rare in a coloration combination that someone wants (highly unlikely until the new color wheel) or in a brand new gene that's only been out less than a month...they're not going to sell fast at all (if at all).

Unfortunate, but well, when there's nearly 20 million dragons on this site at this point...finding one that is what you want pretty cheap isn't super hard so people aren't likely to pay much for anything that isn't gen 1, old, or super rare in some fashion.
@NightSilh
My personal guess is that the market is just...well, oversaturated in general. People can go to the AH, and most of the time pick up plenty of pretty dragons for dirt cheap fodder prices, so unless a dragon is particularly rare in a coloration combination that someone wants (highly unlikely until the new color wheel) or in a brand new gene that's only been out less than a month...they're not going to sell fast at all (if at all).

Unfortunate, but well, when there's nearly 20 million dragons on this site at this point...finding one that is what you want pretty cheap isn't super hard so people aren't likely to pay much for anything that isn't gen 1, old, or super rare in some fashion.
gYzuoZS.png
I exalt a lot of dragons, even ones I think look nice, because I just... get bored of them. :[ Because of that, I'm very reluctant to spend more than 15k on a dragon (unless it's G1, but even then, 35k is my limit) that I'm not sure I'll even end up keeping.

Short of that, NotN is going on right now, so maybe people are trying to conserve their money for Nocturne eggs/scrolls and chests? :o
I exalt a lot of dragons, even ones I think look nice, because I just... get bored of them. :[ Because of that, I'm very reluctant to spend more than 15k on a dragon (unless it's G1, but even then, 35k is my limit) that I'm not sure I'll even end up keeping.

Short of that, NotN is going on right now, so maybe people are trying to conserve their money for Nocturne eggs/scrolls and chests? :o
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
As far as I know it's always been like this, different people have different tastes and it can take a long time (or... never happen) for someone who's willing to pay a high price for the dragon you're selling to see you're selling it. Unless you're selling gen ones or old dragons or a particular aesthetic (pastels, eyeburners, doubles/triples) or whatever's popular nowadays, you're in a niche. No one ever buys my dragons unless they're fodder
As far as I know it's always been like this, different people have different tastes and it can take a long time (or... never happen) for someone who's willing to pay a high price for the dragon you're selling to see you're selling it. Unless you're selling gen ones or old dragons or a particular aesthetic (pastels, eyeburners, doubles/triples) or whatever's popular nowadays, you're in a niche. No one ever buys my dragons unless they're fodder
Well, just think:
How many non-fodder dragons have you bought last month? Personally, I bought none.
How many dragons have you bred? My count is about... 80-90?

All of them need to go somewhere because my lair space is limited and I don't have enough food to feed them all but I like hatching nests so I continue breeding my dragons - my lair is organized so that I can hatch one nest every day. Thus I sell them for fodder prices if they don't sell for a week - pretty, ugly, new genes, whatever. Many players do the same or just sell for fodder straight away, and it doesn't matter whether the dragon is pretty or not when no one buys them. For me it's quite surprising when one of the hatchlings I sell ends up a permanent dragon tbh.
Well, just think:
How many non-fodder dragons have you bought last month? Personally, I bought none.
How many dragons have you bred? My count is about... 80-90?

All of them need to go somewhere because my lair space is limited and I don't have enough food to feed them all but I like hatching nests so I continue breeding my dragons - my lair is organized so that I can hatch one nest every day. Thus I sell them for fodder prices if they don't sell for a week - pretty, ugly, new genes, whatever. Many players do the same or just sell for fodder straight away, and it doesn't matter whether the dragon is pretty or not when no one buys them. For me it's quite surprising when one of the hatchlings I sell ends up a permanent dragon tbh.
I'm at the point where lair expansions cost 1,150,000. That means I need to love a new permanent dragon that will cost 230,000 above whatever price I pay for it. Or I can keep exalts that will help pay for my shameful accent addiction or the next gene release. No matter how pretty a dragon is it is not guaranteed to sell. Even with unlimited spaces you still wouldn't be able to sell all your dragons; lair size is a soft cap compared to the feeding requirements.
I'm at the point where lair expansions cost 1,150,000. That means I need to love a new permanent dragon that will cost 230,000 above whatever price I pay for it. Or I can keep exalts that will help pay for my shameful accent addiction or the next gene release. No matter how pretty a dragon is it is not guaranteed to sell. Even with unlimited spaces you still wouldn't be able to sell all your dragons; lair size is a soft cap compared to the feeding requirements.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
In my experience (and I've been here for a year and a half now), it's not "all of a sudden". The bottom line is that there are more dragons being bred than there are lair spaces on the site, and lots of those lair spaces are already full of dragons people don't want to get rid of. I'd say that at least 80% of the dragons sold on this site are exalt fodder, if not more, so selling your dragons for more than a couple thousand treasure is honestly just unlikely, no matter how cool they are. It's not so much that people "want everything dirt cheap", its just that if they're not, it's not worth buying them because the exalt payout won't create a profit on the purchase price. No matter how cool you personally think the dragons you're trying to sell are, people have to be picky about their permanents. There just aren't that many lair spaces to go around. Occasionally people get lucky and hit on a color or gene combo that people really like, and their dragons sell regularly. But honestly, unless you follow the trends and breed sought after color and gene combos, your dragons are mostly likely going to serve the deity of whatever flight is pushing that week, and if it's not cheap, it's not worth buying.
In my experience (and I've been here for a year and a half now), it's not "all of a sudden". The bottom line is that there are more dragons being bred than there are lair spaces on the site, and lots of those lair spaces are already full of dragons people don't want to get rid of. I'd say that at least 80% of the dragons sold on this site are exalt fodder, if not more, so selling your dragons for more than a couple thousand treasure is honestly just unlikely, no matter how cool they are. It's not so much that people "want everything dirt cheap", its just that if they're not, it's not worth buying them because the exalt payout won't create a profit on the purchase price. No matter how cool you personally think the dragons you're trying to sell are, people have to be picky about their permanents. There just aren't that many lair spaces to go around. Occasionally people get lucky and hit on a color or gene combo that people really like, and their dragons sell regularly. But honestly, unless you follow the trends and breed sought after color and gene combos, your dragons are mostly likely going to serve the deity of whatever flight is pushing that week, and if it's not cheap, it's not worth buying.
ew9u8Xp.png
as a person who prefers to spend large amounts of money on other things, I don't spend much on dragons unless there's no other option. even then, I only spent over 100k on a dragon from the AH once.
but yeah, there's more dragons than lair space. that's most of it.
I sell dragons for cheap and don't really care, mostly because whatever. I think they're beautiful, but if others don't, I'm not gonna waste their time trying to make mad cash. also, everyone's taste is different. if someone likes your babies enough, they'll buy them for keeps, regardless of price.(talking about this in regards to selling them for less) but yeah, you can't really expect to make tons from selling dragons, unless maybe you can have the new cool things in good color combos.
as a person who prefers to spend large amounts of money on other things, I don't spend much on dragons unless there's no other option. even then, I only spent over 100k on a dragon from the AH once.
but yeah, there's more dragons than lair space. that's most of it.
I sell dragons for cheap and don't really care, mostly because whatever. I think they're beautiful, but if others don't, I'm not gonna waste their time trying to make mad cash. also, everyone's taste is different. if someone likes your babies enough, they'll buy them for keeps, regardless of price.(talking about this in regards to selling them for less) but yeah, you can't really expect to make tons from selling dragons, unless maybe you can have the new cool things in good color combos.
underbelly stays winning

they/them | +2 FR time
I don't remember who said it, but someone once gave the good advice that it's not really the price of the dragon (to a certain limit of course), it's how patient you are and how far you're gonna go to sell it. Personally I always shop dragons within a range of 20k-80k, depending on what I'm looking for. If it's the perfect dragon, people don't care much for how expensive it is. As others have stated, the market is oversaturated, and has more or less always been. There's simply too many dragons, and if you want to sell, you have to be quite patient, even if you have unique colors or etc etc.

I think the reason it changed "right now" is because of the new players. Whenever there's a reg window, sales rise because of new players buying dragons, and usually those on the cheaper side. Once they've filled their lair and started breeding their own dragons, the sales begin to drop steadily again, resulting in a dead/stale market.

I don't remember who said it, but someone once gave the good advice that it's not really the price of the dragon (to a certain limit of course), it's how patient you are and how far you're gonna go to sell it. Personally I always shop dragons within a range of 20k-80k, depending on what I'm looking for. If it's the perfect dragon, people don't care much for how expensive it is. As others have stated, the market is oversaturated, and has more or less always been. There's simply too many dragons, and if you want to sell, you have to be quite patient, even if you have unique colors or etc etc.

I think the reason it changed "right now" is because of the new players. Whenever there's a reg window, sales rise because of new players buying dragons, and usually those on the cheaper side. Once they've filled their lair and started breeding their own dragons, the sales begin to drop steadily again, resulting in a dead/stale market.

Hy86VRp.png
» Elf Subs.
» Peryton Adopts
» Adopts
1 2