Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I adopted a puppy! Advice? (Pics!)
1 2 3
My boyfriend and I have contemplated adopting a Shiba Inu for a long time now. We've researched the breed and waited until we could adopt one from a rescue organization. We found a group that had recently pulled a mother and puppies from a puppy mill auction, and the timing was right, so we finally picked him up yesterday and he is THE CUTEST! [img]http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/Kerisaurus/image2-8.jpg[/img] [img]http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/Kerisaurus/image1-18.jpg[/img] [img]http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/Kerisaurus/image5-5.jpg[/img] [img]http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/Kerisaurus/image3-5.jpg[/img] [i]I has a fox[/i] I need advice from those of you with crate training experience. I have never crate trained a dog before, but the rescue organization highly recommends it. He has no problem going into his crate, we've fed him in there, given him a blanket, supplied him with lots of time consuming toys such as bones and kongs, and let him use the bathroom right before bed. I placed his crate in the hallway so he's not too far away from us, but he's out of sight. However, the moment we walk out of the room he cries. Crying evolves into howling and yelping. I know the key to success is to let him cry it out and not give attention to the unwanted behavior, but I live in an apartment. I expect a noise complaint to come my way if he continues to go on all night. After waiting it out failed for hours, I finally went in and he had thrown up and was panting. I cleaned it up and sat by his crate, whispering softly to him until he fell asleep. I'd then creep back into the bedroom, he'd sleep maybe 30-60 minutes, and the cycle would continue. (No more barfing though!) I am stuck because I know I need to let him be, but I don't want to cause him anxiety every time he gets crated (hoping to keep positive association going), or make my neighbors angry. I thought about getting a play pen and leaving the crate in there to acclimate him to it. I thought about moving everything into the bedroom, but I do have a cat that is still getting used to him and the bedroom is her "safe zone". Any thoughts or advice you have on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated! Additionally, we need to name him! He came to us as Kuma (Bear), which I do not dislike. I have seen other Shibas named Kuma though, so my preference is something unique despite the fact that I love cute, two syllable names.. I'd like to name him after a fox or a wolf, but nothing seems to fit. Front runners (besides Kuma) are: Koga (after the wolf demon from the anime Inuyasha), Jiro (Second son, because my previous cat who we lost last year was my first "son"), or Finn/Fenris. Fenris is after a wolf god from the book The Sight, and he'd be Finn for short (Adventure Time!) Thanks for reading my mega-long post! At minimum, I hope you enjoy some puppy adorableness!
My boyfriend and I have contemplated adopting a Shiba Inu for a long time now. We've researched the breed and waited until we could adopt one from a rescue organization. We found a group that had recently pulled a mother and puppies from a puppy mill auction, and the timing was right, so we finally picked him up yesterday and he is THE CUTEST!

image2-8.jpg

image1-18.jpg

image5-5.jpg

image3-5.jpg

I has a fox

I need advice from those of you with crate training experience. I have never crate trained a dog before, but the rescue organization highly recommends it. He has no problem going into his crate, we've fed him in there, given him a blanket, supplied him with lots of time consuming toys such as bones and kongs, and let him use the bathroom right before bed. I placed his crate in the hallway so he's not too far away from us, but he's out of sight. However, the moment we walk out of the room he cries. Crying evolves into howling and yelping. I know the key to success is to let him cry it out and not give attention to the unwanted behavior, but I live in an apartment. I expect a noise complaint to come my way if he continues to go on all night. After waiting it out failed for hours, I finally went in and he had thrown up and was panting. I cleaned it up and sat by his crate, whispering softly to him until he fell asleep. I'd then creep back into the bedroom, he'd sleep maybe 30-60 minutes, and the cycle would continue. (No more barfing though!) I am stuck because I know I need to let him be, but I don't want to cause him anxiety every time he gets crated (hoping to keep positive association going), or make my neighbors angry.

I thought about getting a play pen and leaving the crate in there to acclimate him to it. I thought about moving everything into the bedroom, but I do have a cat that is still getting used to him and the bedroom is her "safe zone". Any thoughts or advice you have on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

Additionally, we need to name him! He came to us as Kuma (Bear), which I do not dislike. I have seen other Shibas named Kuma though, so my preference is something unique despite the fact that I love cute, two syllable names.. I'd like to name him after a fox or a wolf, but nothing seems to fit. Front runners (besides Kuma) are: Koga (after the wolf demon from the anime Inuyasha), Jiro (Second son, because my previous cat who we lost last year was my first "son"), or Finn/Fenris. Fenris is after a wolf god from the book The Sight, and he'd be Finn for short (Adventure Time!)

Thanks for reading my mega-long post! At minimum, I hope you enjoy some puppy adorableness!
Yeahhhh that's the whole process of crate training. There is a lot of crying when crate training. I'm not sure what to say about the apartment complex. It's hard to have pets at apartments in the first place. I know with my dog, I kept a towel over her crate so it was dark and like a den.

Your pup is cute though! =)
Yeahhhh that's the whole process of crate training. There is a lot of crying when crate training. I'm not sure what to say about the apartment complex. It's hard to have pets at apartments in the first place. I know with my dog, I kept a towel over her crate so it was dark and like a den.

Your pup is cute though! =)
@Ravette The only plus is that the people above and beside me also have dogs, who are not shy about being loud. I still know it'll be a pain for them to listen to at all hours of the night for a couple of weeks!

So in your opinion, letting them cry it out all night is the way to go?
@Ravette The only plus is that the people above and beside me also have dogs, who are not shy about being loud. I still know it'll be a pain for them to listen to at all hours of the night for a couple of weeks!

So in your opinion, letting them cry it out all night is the way to go?
@Wildfox I let mine cry. It was sorta hard to figure out when she was crying to be let out to potty or when she just wanted attention. If I did suspect she had to go, I took her straight out and then right back to the cage. No other shenanigans. So I'm not really sure ^^;
@Wildfox I let mine cry. It was sorta hard to figure out when she was crying to be let out to potty or when she just wanted attention. If I did suspect she had to go, I took her straight out and then right back to the cage. No other shenanigans. So I'm not really sure ^^;
@Wildfox Have you tried adding something that smells like yourself to the crate? Like a shirt? That might help a little bit.
@Wildfox Have you tried adding something that smells like yourself to the crate? Like a shirt? That might help a little bit.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you cannot always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln, 1864
@Whicke I used a bath towel, which I hoped would have enough scent on it. I could try a shirt! Thanks!
@Whicke I used a bath towel, which I hoped would have enough scent on it. I could try a shirt! Thanks!
@Wildfox
Wow he is adorable!! What a little sweetie.
I was relatively lucky with crate training, my pup merlin only cried for the rest few nights and then he was good. I'd definitely recommend something with your scent on. Something warm might be good, like a toy that heats up? Something I did was get a ticking clock; apparently it reminds them of their mother's heartbeat and helps them sleep. c:
@Wildfox
Wow he is adorable!! What a little sweetie.
I was relatively lucky with crate training, my pup merlin only cried for the rest few nights and then he was good. I'd definitely recommend something with your scent on. Something warm might be good, like a toy that heats up? Something I did was get a ticking clock; apparently it reminds them of their mother's heartbeat and helps them sleep. c:
I second tossing a blanket over the cage at night, the darkness helps them sleep, and it muffles the sound, though, I don't know how hot your apartment gets, I know in mine that'd be dangerous because we can't control the heat or anything.
I second tossing a blanket over the cage at night, the darkness helps them sleep, and it muffles the sound, though, I don't know how hot your apartment gets, I know in mine that'd be dangerous because we can't control the heat or anything.

I'm just a tiny watering can, nourishing my tiny plant friends
@Wildfox
Practice crate training during the day. Put him in there with lots of encouragement/treats and then walk out of the room. Time how long it takes him to start crying and then the second he's quiet (you have to be fast) come back and give him some attention. Put him back in the crate and then leave again- this time coming back before he has the chance to cry and telling him he's a good dog, giving him treats, etc. Slowly build up the amount of time you leave him alone until you are past the baseline phase and then take a new baseline to see if the whining has been extinguished entirely.

Training should always end on a positive note. Make your last round of "in the crate, walk away, come back" shorter so that he really doesn't have a chance to whine before you come back and give him pets and stuff. Good luck!
@Wildfox
Practice crate training during the day. Put him in there with lots of encouragement/treats and then walk out of the room. Time how long it takes him to start crying and then the second he's quiet (you have to be fast) come back and give him some attention. Put him back in the crate and then leave again- this time coming back before he has the chance to cry and telling him he's a good dog, giving him treats, etc. Slowly build up the amount of time you leave him alone until you are past the baseline phase and then take a new baseline to see if the whining has been extinguished entirely.

Training should always end on a positive note. Make your last round of "in the crate, walk away, come back" shorter so that he really doesn't have a chance to whine before you come back and give him pets and stuff. Good luck!
ouroboros_by_lavenderserenity-d96r3fi.png
@Wildfox

Basically what i did with my dog zero, i gave him some toys and treats while in his crate, and told him he was a good boy whenever he was in his crate. Then i sort of had to just let him cry it out the first night, cause he wanted to sleep with me. after a couple nights, he he got used to it, and i haven't had trouble since. so basically, i just tried to reinforce the idea that the crate was a good and fun place to be.
@Wildfox

Basically what i did with my dog zero, i gave him some toys and treats while in his crate, and told him he was a good boy whenever he was in his crate. Then i sort of had to just let him cry it out the first night, cause he wanted to sleep with me. after a couple nights, he he got used to it, and i haven't had trouble since. so basically, i just tried to reinforce the idea that the crate was a good and fun place to be.
1 2 3