Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Okapi is wrong.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
Flight Rising has better art, but I've got to say that Wajas did the okapi marking better :/ [center][img]https://38.media.tumblr.com/ed99dac71f7487c50a4d67d495e09dd8/tumblr_nhxc1trzYg1rp33f6o3_400.jpg[/img][/center] I don't know why they ignored the face in favor of the neck.
Flight Rising has better art, but I've got to say that Wajas did the okapi marking better :/
tumblr_nhxc1trzYg1rp33f6o3_400.jpg

I don't know why they ignored the face in favor of the neck.
tumblr_og952mGjFx1vzfkcno1_75sq.giftumblr_ogb7llWAAL1vzfkcno1_100.giftumblr_og96j2sxWa1vzfkcno1_75sq.gif
I like the neck part. Adds some originality to the gene.
I like the neck part. Adds some originality to the gene.
tumblr_nl9i0za9u11u4ouz5o5_r3_250.pngtumblr_nl9i0za9u11u4ouz5o6_r2_250.png
tumblr_nl9i0za9u11u4ouz5o7_r2_250.pngtumblr_nl9i0za9u11u4ouz5o8_r2_250.png
FR +8 FR tumblr
The neck part's horrible. I like your version better.
The neck part's horrible. I like your version better.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
And "Bar/Daub" doesn't look like any animal I know. And Ripple is not a perfect ripple pattern, neither is current.
The tiger gene doesn't actually fit real tiger's either.

It's a pet game, not a scientific journal.

Edit:

Or what if Okapi in Sornieth don't look like they do on Earth? We have lots of real animal species with made up colors or patterns, like certain fish or most of the hummingbirds.

Or what if Okapi don't even exist in Sornieth, someone made the gene, was trying to name it, and the best name they came up with was Okapi because it reminded them of the Okapi?

The Clown gene doesn't look like a lot of animals with "Clown" in their name. Like the Clown Loach or clownfish. The clown pattern is usually bars of color, but the FR Clown is nothing like that.

Just because something is named after an animal or pattern doesn't mean it's supposed to be exactly that.

Jaguar brand cars aren't shaped like cats e____e
And "Bar/Daub" doesn't look like any animal I know. And Ripple is not a perfect ripple pattern, neither is current.
The tiger gene doesn't actually fit real tiger's either.

It's a pet game, not a scientific journal.

Edit:

Or what if Okapi in Sornieth don't look like they do on Earth? We have lots of real animal species with made up colors or patterns, like certain fish or most of the hummingbirds.

Or what if Okapi don't even exist in Sornieth, someone made the gene, was trying to name it, and the best name they came up with was Okapi because it reminded them of the Okapi?

The Clown gene doesn't look like a lot of animals with "Clown" in their name. Like the Clown Loach or clownfish. The clown pattern is usually bars of color, but the FR Clown is nothing like that.

Just because something is named after an animal or pattern doesn't mean it's supposed to be exactly that.

Jaguar brand cars aren't shaped like cats e____e
@Kuhli
Bar/Daub is a more general spot pattern, hence why it's not called 'ocelot' or something like that.
While the stripes tend to be more cluttered and the faces more simplified, the tiger gene is closer to real tigers than the okapi gene is to real okapi.

If you're going to make a gene based off of an animal, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be closer to the real thing. They did a good job on tiger, given the limitations of it being a pet game.

Edit: Just now saw your edit. If that's the case, then why are somethings obviously based off of earth animals, and some aren't? Tiger could have just been stripes if that were the case(and stripes be called something else).

You can't really say 'just because something is called this doesn't mean it's supposed to be it' when that was obviously the intention.
And Jaguar cars are called that because that is the company mascot, not because the car is supposed to resemble one. Dodge Rams don't look like rams either, but that was never their intent.
@Kuhli
Bar/Daub is a more general spot pattern, hence why it's not called 'ocelot' or something like that.
While the stripes tend to be more cluttered and the faces more simplified, the tiger gene is closer to real tigers than the okapi gene is to real okapi.

If you're going to make a gene based off of an animal, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be closer to the real thing. They did a good job on tiger, given the limitations of it being a pet game.

Edit: Just now saw your edit. If that's the case, then why are somethings obviously based off of earth animals, and some aren't? Tiger could have just been stripes if that were the case(and stripes be called something else).

You can't really say 'just because something is called this doesn't mean it's supposed to be it' when that was obviously the intention.
And Jaguar cars are called that because that is the company mascot, not because the car is supposed to resemble one. Dodge Rams don't look like rams either, but that was never their intent.
tumblr_og952mGjFx1vzfkcno1_75sq.giftumblr_ogb7llWAAL1vzfkcno1_100.giftumblr_og96j2sxWa1vzfkcno1_75sq.gif
I like what you posted a -lot- more than what we got, to be honest.
I like what you posted a -lot- more than what we got, to be honest.
kkKT2mI.png
I agree with what your pointing out and I do think the neck piece on it is kind of odd. But GoldenBeetle is right, with a specific color combo it would work nicely.
I agree with what your pointing out and I do think the neck piece on it is kind of odd. But GoldenBeetle is right, with a specific color combo it would work nicely.
tumblr_inline_n6kdvfauea1qlye38.gif
I wouldn't call it wrong, since I tend to give a lot of leeway for artistic license, but I honestly would prefer to lose the neck markings and switch around the colors. Especially on black. It hurts me a little that I can't have a black fade with whitish stripes. Plus it would be nice to have one tert that actually brought out the interesting sub-colors that some colors have.
I wouldn't call it wrong, since I tend to give a lot of leeway for artistic license, but I honestly would prefer to lose the neck markings and switch around the colors. Especially on black. It hurts me a little that I can't have a black fade with whitish stripes. Plus it would be nice to have one tert that actually brought out the interesting sub-colors that some colors have.
I thought the gene looked a little off... But I didn't feel like looking up pics of okapi.

I do like the gene with certain colors on certain dragons, but I like your version so much better. I feel like the gene would be much more versatile if it was correct.
I thought the gene looked a little off... But I didn't feel like looking up pics of okapi.

I do like the gene with certain colors on certain dragons, but I like your version so much better. I feel like the gene would be much more versatile if it was correct.
tumblr_inline_n6kd7qPuvI1qlye38.gif
@Kuhli

I can see your point, but if something is named 'Okapi' and is in roughly the same place as an Okapi's markings, you'd sort of expect it to look like the animal. That's usually the point of naming it after the animal's pattern.

It doesn't really matter whether Okapi exist in Sornieth, or whether they're the same or different, the genes are named by the admins in the real world for the users in the real world.

It's fine for people to critique the gene if they don't like aspects of it, up to and including the name or design. I don't like it, and I'll likely never use it, but this isn't unusual. I don't like Clown, Speckle, Freckle, Ripple, Current, Circuit, Smoke, Gembond, Crackle or Spines, so it's just one to add to a list.

I might like it if it lacked the neck bit and looked like the one in this post, though. It's much more aesthetically pleasant, name aside.

And it's okay, I complain about Crackle being called Crackle, too. It doesn't look crackly and I still think it should be called Doused-In-Slime. 8D

(Also the Jaguar car name is based on the company logo.)
@Kuhli

I can see your point, but if something is named 'Okapi' and is in roughly the same place as an Okapi's markings, you'd sort of expect it to look like the animal. That's usually the point of naming it after the animal's pattern.

It doesn't really matter whether Okapi exist in Sornieth, or whether they're the same or different, the genes are named by the admins in the real world for the users in the real world.

It's fine for people to critique the gene if they don't like aspects of it, up to and including the name or design. I don't like it, and I'll likely never use it, but this isn't unusual. I don't like Clown, Speckle, Freckle, Ripple, Current, Circuit, Smoke, Gembond, Crackle or Spines, so it's just one to add to a list.

I might like it if it lacked the neck bit and looked like the one in this post, though. It's much more aesthetically pleasant, name aside.

And it's okay, I complain about Crackle being called Crackle, too. It doesn't look crackly and I still think it should be called Doused-In-Slime. 8D

(Also the Jaguar car name is based on the company logo.)
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11