Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Okapi is wrong.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[quote name="Cutiepaws" date="2015-01-11 09:07:08"][img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg489/elisewatne/okapi_zpsf97064ac.png[/img][/quote] this made me giggle :B
Cutiepaws wrote on 2015-01-11 09:07:08:
okapi_zpsf97064ac.png

this made me giggle :B
I can't recognize it as Okapi either, and almost preferred it to be named differently, but this is just a personal preference, and I can see where they're coming from. The fact that the gene is almost impossible to make look good (apart from that three XYX cases, and the inconsistent way of colour palette they choose it, is way more disturbing to me. It's too bold, the gradient should have either more transparency, or the band of colour should have been smaller. Also it's annoying that it seems to see the tertiary as the base colour of the dragon. It creates a very distractive overlay look. Also, they should go with the same colourpalette for a certain colour, on every colourlayer. It's hard to make it work cause it's always clashy clash in the way. And I wish it was working better with Tiger xD (I'd totally make that particular dragon, if the legs were working better.) [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=4&wing=46&style=13&gender=1&ages=1&prig=2&secg=2&tert=4&elem=2&tertgene=9&spec=prev.png[/img] I am pretty picky though, and I'll just add this to the list of another gene I don't bother making use of. -shrug-
I can't recognize it as Okapi either, and almost preferred it to be named differently, but this is just a personal preference, and I can see where they're coming from.

The fact that the gene is almost impossible to make look good (apart from that three XYX cases, and the inconsistent way of colour palette they choose it, is way more disturbing to me.

It's too bold, the gradient should have either more transparency, or the band of colour should have been smaller.
Also it's annoying that it seems to see the tertiary as the base colour of the dragon. It creates a very distractive overlay look.
Also, they should go with the same colourpalette for a certain colour, on every colourlayer.
It's hard to make it work cause it's always clashy clash in the way.

And I wish it was working better with Tiger xD
(I'd totally make that particular dragon, if the legs were working better.)

dragonpic2.php?body=4&wing=46&style=13&gender=1&ages=1&prig=2&secg=2&tert=4&elem=2&tertgene=9&spec=prev.png

I am pretty picky though, and I'll just add this to the list of another gene I don't bother making use of. -shrug-

0PSsH9E.png

Xzuw0kv.gif
We are being watched.
The government has a secret system,
a machine that spies on you every hour of every day.
I designed the machine to detect acts of terror
but it sees everything...
dyNkCVG.gif Pvj9w5p.png

uU6ZmcR.gif
[quote name="Aryllia" date="2015-01-11 09:03:29"]@Kuhli *headdesk* Because I'm a fantasy writer and this reeks of really poor and lazy fantasy writing. Things like this ARE important in fantasy writing. They're critical even. It's the difference between good writing and bad writing in fantasy settings because it reveals if the writer knows their world building or not.[/quote] In the Harry Potter universe, there are many creatures that are altered real world animals. The Kneazle: A cat with a lion-like tail. The Moke: A lizard with silver-green skin that is native to the British Isles. Can shrink at will Giant Squid (lives in the lake at Hogwarts) Flesh-Eating Slug : A garden slug with corrosive spittle. but go ahead and try and explain that Mrs. Rowling is a terrible world builder and is lazy at fantasy writer
Aryllia wrote on 2015-01-11 09:03:29:
@Kuhli
*headdesk*
Because I'm a fantasy writer and this reeks of really poor and lazy fantasy writing. Things like this ARE important in fantasy writing. They're critical even. It's the difference between good writing and bad writing in fantasy settings because it reveals if the writer knows their world building or not.

In the Harry Potter universe, there are many creatures that are altered real world animals.

The Kneazle: A cat with a lion-like tail.
The Moke: A lizard with silver-green skin that is native to the British Isles. Can shrink at will
Giant Squid (lives in the lake at Hogwarts)
Flesh-Eating Slug : A garden slug with corrosive spittle.

but go ahead and try and explain that Mrs. Rowling is a terrible world builder and is lazy at fantasy writer
I really like the OP's version of the gene. The original is an interesting idea, but is very jarring on most of my dragons. The fading on the legs is weak on many breeds, and the neck is just odd to me. Thank you for adding a new gene, though, FR, and I'm really happy for everyone who has found a dragon it works well on!
I really like the OP's version of the gene. The original is an interesting idea, but is very jarring on most of my dragons. The fading on the legs is weak on many breeds, and the neck is just odd to me. Thank you for adding a new gene, though, FR, and I'm really happy for everyone who has found a dragon it works well on!
@Kuhli

That's exactly what we're saying. We are not condemning FR's staff for creating a marking based off a real animal - we are critiquing the name as inconsistent story-telling.

It's okay to make animals that are the same or similar as animals in our real world, but they have to match your lore and your fictional universe or it screams laziness and kills immersion.

The Harry Potter universe is also a good example, because it contains both fictitious and real animals. A cat in Harry potter is called a cat. A fantasy cat with a lion-like tail is called a Kneazle. That is literally our point. We are literally agreeing with each-other and yet choosing to argue.
@Kuhli

That's exactly what we're saying. We are not condemning FR's staff for creating a marking based off a real animal - we are critiquing the name as inconsistent story-telling.

It's okay to make animals that are the same or similar as animals in our real world, but they have to match your lore and your fictional universe or it screams laziness and kills immersion.

The Harry Potter universe is also a good example, because it contains both fictitious and real animals. A cat in Harry potter is called a cat. A fantasy cat with a lion-like tail is called a Kneazle. That is literally our point. We are literally agreeing with each-other and yet choosing to argue.
I just want the transitioning to be smoother and that weird neck collar to go, why is it even there? if it was used on the legs and tail only that would've been better
I just want the transitioning to be smoother and that weird neck collar to go, why is it even there? if it was used on the legs and tail only that would've been better
DVcXRyP.png
[quote name="Cutiepaws" date="2015-01-11 09:07:08"][img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg489/elisewatne/okapi_zpsf97064ac.png[/img][/quote] I would like to make a call of support for having this be an official creature in the lore ASAP because this is the most elegant animal I have ever seen. Thank you @Cutiepaws for bringing it to life. It's scientific name will be Speculukapi cutiepawsei in honor of its creator. lit: "imitation-Okapi Cutiepaws"
Cutiepaws wrote on 2015-01-11 09:07:08:
okapi_zpsf97064ac.png

I would like to make a call of support for having this be an official creature in the lore ASAP because this is the most elegant animal I have ever seen. Thank you @Cutiepaws for bringing it to life.

It's scientific name will be Speculukapi cutiepawsei in honor of its creator. lit: "imitation-Okapi Cutiepaws"
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
Or what if the Okapi is some other life form? Here is the Okapi, a parasitic worm I just made up. Yes, it is gloriously ugly :3 [img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg489/elisewatne/wurm_zps8a396e84.png[/img]
Or what if the Okapi is some other life form? Here is the Okapi, a parasitic worm I just made up. Yes, it is gloriously ugly :3
wurm_zps8a396e84.png
66MHIIb.png
[quote name="Cutiepaws" date="2015-01-11 10:34:26"]Or what if the Okapi is some other life form? Here is the Okapi, a parasitic worm I just made up. Yes, it is gloriously ugly :3 [img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg489/elisewatne/wurm_zps8a396e84.png[/img][/quote] This Okapi imitator is actually from a different family entirely- a line of highly evolved worms analogous to earth nematodes. [i]Parakapi cutiepawsei[/i] (lit: parasite-Okapi Cutipaws) received its name again from its discoverer and obtainer of the type specimen.
Cutiepaws wrote on 2015-01-11 10:34:26:
Or what if the Okapi is some other life form? Here is the Okapi, a parasitic worm I just made up. Yes, it is gloriously ugly :3
wurm_zps8a396e84.png

This Okapi imitator is actually from a different family entirely- a line of highly evolved worms analogous to earth nematodes. Parakapi cutiepawsei (lit: parasite-Okapi Cutipaws) received its name again from its discoverer and obtainer of the type specimen.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
[quote name="Apocalyptichorse" date="2015-01-11 09:41:30"]I just want the transitioning to be smoother and that weird neck collar to go, why is it even there? if it was used on the legs and tail only that would've been better[/quote] Or the face instead of the neck! It'd look so good imo.
Apocalyptichorse wrote on 2015-01-11 09:41:30:
Or the face instead of the neck! It'd look so good imo.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11