Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Weird things your family does?
1 2 3
Whenever we boil potatoes, my mom drinks that water because apparently potato juice is a "healing food". She also has this thing where whenever we see a black cat while driving around, she'll lick her finger and cross an X on the windshield to 'get rid of the bad luck'. She also talks to our house plants and our outdoor plants and wild birds and our cat...and this raccoon that hangs around our woods. His name is Ricky and she calls him 'a baby' even though he is bigger than most dogs I've seen.
Whenever we boil potatoes, my mom drinks that water because apparently potato juice is a "healing food". She also has this thing where whenever we see a black cat while driving around, she'll lick her finger and cross an X on the windshield to 'get rid of the bad luck'. She also talks to our house plants and our outdoor plants and wild birds and our cat...and this raccoon that hangs around our woods. His name is Ricky and she calls him 'a baby' even though he is bigger than most dogs I've seen.
tumblr_otyh5kkff31vsg0m1o1_400.png
We have a triumph Bonneville (motorbike) in our kitchen, its my dads >.
We have a triumph Bonneville (motorbike) in our kitchen, its my dads >.
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_nbe8e2NZyN1qg78ij.png
My family makes purple jello for Thanksgiving.

It's black cherry jello, black canned cherries, pecans, and cottage cheese. We literally call it purple jello. It's repulsive, but I still made it and ate it this year because I was away from my family and I miss them.
My family makes purple jello for Thanksgiving.

It's black cherry jello, black canned cherries, pecans, and cottage cheese. We literally call it purple jello. It's repulsive, but I still made it and ate it this year because I was away from my family and I miss them.
@Fizzywings My mom does the exact same thing.

Also, something weird the rest of my family does (which may be a little weird, let me know if you're extremely uncomfortable after reading and I'll delete it), is smack my butt. Doesn't matter the event, if we're all gathered at the same place, everyone takes a turn to smack it. It's terrible.
@Fizzywings My mom does the exact same thing.

Also, something weird the rest of my family does (which may be a little weird, let me know if you're extremely uncomfortable after reading and I'll delete it), is smack my butt. Doesn't matter the event, if we're all gathered at the same place, everyone takes a turn to smack it. It's terrible.
dyk3ud.jpg
Not sure if it's weird or just a New England thing, but all my family gatherings sound like klaxon sirens of "YEEAAHHH SHADDAP" or "AWWWwwwWW CMAAAAAWWN" and there's been a lot of really fun riots starring my tiny grandmother with her raspy little sailor mouth. Which makes every family gathering extremely fun! Basically all my fam gatherings on the white side of my family are like this: [img]https://33.media.tumblr.com/f00ab3cd5e53c56bebbd91dc5742dcbb/tumblr_mkhxpumcfO1rmam31o1_400.gif[/img] As for the Filipino side...we have the infamous "CUP". Other Pinoys will kind of know what I mean.. edit: the "cup" that we keep in the bathroom
Not sure if it's weird or just a New England thing, but all my family gatherings sound like klaxon sirens of "YEEAAHHH SHADDAP" or "AWWWwwwWW CMAAAAAWWN" and there's been a lot of really fun riots starring my tiny grandmother with her raspy little sailor mouth. Which makes every family gathering extremely fun!

Basically all my fam gatherings on the white side of my family are like this:
tumblr_mkhxpumcfO1rmam31o1_400.gif

As for the Filipino side...we have the infamous "CUP". Other Pinoys will kind of know what I mean..
edit: the "cup" that we keep in the bathroom
TpO8tYR.png912ee11232d0_kamikaze1.pngDgJuZtv.pngDmRdZYl.png
@Fizzywings My mom's oven doubles as pot/pan storage too. x)

@WaterLillyHearts Mmm pickle juice... it was always me and my dad though; my mom thinks it's nasty. Her loss man~ And my step-mom does the same thing with her pie! She puts it in a bowl and pours cream on it!

Also, I highly recommend putting Parmesan cheese on cottage cheese.

At Thanksgiving, my dad always made the raw turkey sing and dance around the kitchen.

For Christmas, we always had pizza for dinner and then left pizza and soda out for Santa. Don't you think he gets tired of milk and cookies? ;)

My siblings and I are all very touchy-feely with one another. We will all happily pile on top of each other on the couch, randomly grab each other's flab, etc. When I visited my sister a couple months ago we shared the same bed without a thought. I guess a lot of people think that's weird?

My fiance thinks its weird I prefer to sleep with throws or blankets on instead of proper sheets.

@Atomikamikaze haha omg in the Midwest we will all just talk on top of each other and carry on twenty thousand conversations at once. My poor southern fiance has no idea what to make of all this. xD
@Fizzywings My mom's oven doubles as pot/pan storage too. x)

@WaterLillyHearts Mmm pickle juice... it was always me and my dad though; my mom thinks it's nasty. Her loss man~ And my step-mom does the same thing with her pie! She puts it in a bowl and pours cream on it!

Also, I highly recommend putting Parmesan cheese on cottage cheese.

At Thanksgiving, my dad always made the raw turkey sing and dance around the kitchen.

For Christmas, we always had pizza for dinner and then left pizza and soda out for Santa. Don't you think he gets tired of milk and cookies? ;)

My siblings and I are all very touchy-feely with one another. We will all happily pile on top of each other on the couch, randomly grab each other's flab, etc. When I visited my sister a couple months ago we shared the same bed without a thought. I guess a lot of people think that's weird?

My fiance thinks its weird I prefer to sleep with throws or blankets on instead of proper sheets.

@Atomikamikaze haha omg in the Midwest we will all just talk on top of each other and carry on twenty thousand conversations at once. My poor southern fiance has no idea what to make of all this. xD
Mine's got a tiny bit of backstory.

So, every year, my family (nuclear family, and then two sets of 'aunts and uncles' and their children who are really just close family friends) goes on vacation to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina where we rent a house and do fun beach things.

So, on our trip a few years ago, we were staying in this nice house. But, on the landing of one of the flights of stairs there was this weird plush cat... thing. We thought it was weird/cute/creepy, so we brought it down to the dinner table every night. One night, one of my aunt's, who was really drunk, got into all shenanigans with the cat. It was hilarious.

So, at the end of the trip we're cleaning the house and see the cat and are so tempted to steal the thing. But, we're good people so we just go online and search until we find one to buy ourselves.

We named it Jan the Cat after our aunt Jannie who was drunk that night, and now we pass it around at all our gatherings. It spends weeks with the kids off at college, has been to multiple states including Hawaii, went to Universal Studios in Orlando...

Here she is in the pool in Florida, and here she is reading her favorite book at the beach.

EDIT: Also partying hard at my cousin's Bat Mitzvah.
Mine's got a tiny bit of backstory.

So, every year, my family (nuclear family, and then two sets of 'aunts and uncles' and their children who are really just close family friends) goes on vacation to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina where we rent a house and do fun beach things.

So, on our trip a few years ago, we were staying in this nice house. But, on the landing of one of the flights of stairs there was this weird plush cat... thing. We thought it was weird/cute/creepy, so we brought it down to the dinner table every night. One night, one of my aunt's, who was really drunk, got into all shenanigans with the cat. It was hilarious.

So, at the end of the trip we're cleaning the house and see the cat and are so tempted to steal the thing. But, we're good people so we just go online and search until we find one to buy ourselves.

We named it Jan the Cat after our aunt Jannie who was drunk that night, and now we pass it around at all our gatherings. It spends weeks with the kids off at college, has been to multiple states including Hawaii, went to Universal Studios in Orlando...

Here she is in the pool in Florida, and here she is reading her favorite book at the beach.

EDIT: Also partying hard at my cousin's Bat Mitzvah.
plague_flight_banner_by_dinocyanide-d8tx18y.png
This family never stops talking, and 90% of us have the dominant sarcasm gene. It's definitely not easy to be a guest at our gatherings.

And, yes, the pans are kept in the oven.
This family never stops talking, and 90% of us have the dominant sarcasm gene. It's definitely not easy to be a guest at our gatherings.

And, yes, the pans are kept in the oven.
badgemaster.png team_biscotti_trainer.png
Hmmm... Let me see, I'm probably just gonna list some random things about my family that may or may not be weird:

- My mom likes putting mayonnaise inside hot dog buns. I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but it's actually pretty good (at least, to me).

- When telemarketers call our house, sometimes my mom likes to pick up the phone and shout, "HALLO? ME NO SPEAK ENGLISH! ME NO SPEAK ENGLISH" Then she hangs up the phone on them.

- Most of my family likes white rice with everything. Not sure if this is a weird thing, but my family will eat pizza with rice, chicken and fries...with rice, spaghetti...with rice, you get the picture.

- Whenever I ask a dad a question, he sometimes responds, "Because, remember??" He also throws out random words like sprakenheight and sprakendo, and I'm like wth does that even mean??

- My dad makes *very* loud sounds when spitting out his phlegm.

- My mom shops too much on this online site called Beyond the Rack. She's the type of person who wants sales and discounts for everything, to the point that she asked me to join her referral, just so that she can get $10 off lol. It also doesn't help that...she needs a lot more work learning how to use a laptop. ;____;

Idk, I guess I'll just go with this for now.
Hmmm... Let me see, I'm probably just gonna list some random things about my family that may or may not be weird:

- My mom likes putting mayonnaise inside hot dog buns. I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but it's actually pretty good (at least, to me).

- When telemarketers call our house, sometimes my mom likes to pick up the phone and shout, "HALLO? ME NO SPEAK ENGLISH! ME NO SPEAK ENGLISH" Then she hangs up the phone on them.

- Most of my family likes white rice with everything. Not sure if this is a weird thing, but my family will eat pizza with rice, chicken and fries...with rice, spaghetti...with rice, you get the picture.

- Whenever I ask a dad a question, he sometimes responds, "Because, remember??" He also throws out random words like sprakenheight and sprakendo, and I'm like wth does that even mean??

- My dad makes *very* loud sounds when spitting out his phlegm.

- My mom shops too much on this online site called Beyond the Rack. She's the type of person who wants sales and discounts for everything, to the point that she asked me to join her referral, just so that she can get $10 off lol. It also doesn't help that...she needs a lot more work learning how to use a laptop. ;____;

Idk, I guess I'll just go with this for now.
The adults have dance/sing offs, the kids have (random) wrestling matches. (We just had a family reunion and I can't count how many bruises I have.)
The adults have dance/sing offs, the kids have (random) wrestling matches. (We just had a family reunion and I can't count how many bruises I have.)
ImLwTCX.pngGSbB5tl.gifMmBygYl.gifE0IOY4y.gifImLwTCX.png
1 2 3