Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | XXX vs. XYX vs. XXY vs. XYY
1 2 3 4 5
Its funny because when the site was newer XXX, XXY and XYY were all considered peak beauty and I still prefer them to this day but I have noticed a lot of new players do NOT like them; interesting how trends work
Its funny because when the site was newer XXX, XXY and XYY were all considered peak beauty and I still prefer them to this day but I have noticed a lot of new players do NOT like them; interesting how trends work
[quote name="Bowsham" date="2024-05-15 08:35:00" ] Its funny because when the site was newer XXX, XXY and XYY were all considered peak beauty and I still prefer them to this day but I have noticed a lot of new players do NOT like them; interesting how trends work [/quote] well, to be fair: I go around saying "I prefer XYZs" but if one of my wide-range fodder couples pops a surprise double I'm like "whoa that's cool" and by now I have an unintentional mini-collection of them. I've never bred a surprise triple but I would be quite tempted to keep even though I don't normally go for triples. I imagine it would've been more exciting in the early days of the site when every double and triple was a surprise. It just feels a bit stale nowadays because they're overbred/often come from couples where that's all you can get.
Bowsham wrote on 2024-05-15 08:35:00:
well, to be fair: I go around saying "I prefer XYZs" but if one of my wide-range fodder couples pops a surprise double I'm like "whoa that's cool" and by now I have an unintentional mini-collection of them. I've never bred a surprise triple but I would be quite tempted to keep even though I don't normally go for triples.

I imagine it would've been more exciting in the early days of the site when every double and triple was a surprise. It just feels a bit stale nowadays because they're overbred/often come from couples where that's all you can get.
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge (Koi Edition)
Of the doubles, I most reliably like XYY. It's hard to go wrong with a belly tert on an XYY dragon! XYX is far more situational but I still have a bunch, and XXY is generally a bit too bland. XXX becomes purely an exercise in contrasting textures most of the time (both of mine are ringlets over irishim).

I figure the rise in XYZ dragons' popularity has a lot to do with the advent of genes with strong secondary colours, stained, phar/sarc, etc.. It's way easier to make a weird colour combo work now than it was in 2013.
Of the doubles, I most reliably like XYY. It's hard to go wrong with a belly tert on an XYY dragon! XYX is far more situational but I still have a bunch, and XXY is generally a bit too bland. XXX becomes purely an exercise in contrasting textures most of the time (both of mine are ringlets over irishim).

I figure the rise in XYZ dragons' popularity has a lot to do with the advent of genes with strong secondary colours, stained, phar/sarc, etc.. It's way easier to make a weird colour combo work now than it was in 2013.
he is going to eat your cursorthat sure is a dragonto the endless gardenwould a loving god have created spiral anatomy?wherein I try to draw my lairbuy these dragons before they eat all my foodthere's nothing in this book. you've been had.accent shop
[quote name="Xaotician" date="2024-05-15 08:47:29" ] I figure the rise in XYZ dragons' popularity has a lot to do with the advent of genes with strong secondary colours, stained, phar/sarc, etc.. It's way easier to make a weird colour combo work now than it was in 2013. [/quote] This is good to note, if we're having a discussion on trends— there were [i]no[/i] accent colors until the release of PoiTox in 2015, and all of the "multicolored even when on a non-multicolor gene" colors weren't released until the color wheel expansion on the 2016 anniversary! Doubles and triples were so popular at least in part because you couldn't really make an XYZ match by changing genes— you just had to hope they looked good together without any color-altering or accent-color-adding genes. Anyway, for myself, of the doubles and triples, I really like XYY for the reasons people have listed, but honestly, I like all the color patterns. I don't think there's a single color pattern that can't work, now that we've got so much gene variety. If you find a good scry, you find a good scry, and you can probably find at least a decent scry even for the most unmatchy XYZ, these days! [emoji=ridgeback happy size=1]
Xaotician wrote on 2024-05-15 08:47:29:

This is good to note, if we're having a discussion on trends— there were no accent colors until the release of PoiTox in 2015, and all of the "multicolored even when on a non-multicolor gene" colors weren't released until the color wheel expansion on the 2016 anniversary! Doubles and triples were so popular at least in part because you couldn't really make an XYZ match by changing genes— you just had to hope they looked good together without any color-altering or accent-color-adding genes.

Anyway, for myself, of the doubles and triples, I really like XYY for the reasons people have listed, but honestly, I like all the color patterns. I don't think there's a single color pattern that can't work, now that we've got so much gene variety. If you find a good scry, you find a good scry, and you can probably find at least a decent scry even for the most unmatchy XYZ, these days!
I think I like XYX the best as it works with some harder to match ancient terts like batty, gliders, wintercoat
Tho I don't really care, I like them all, this is like the only instance I pay attention to the repeating colour XD
XYZ are the goat
I think I like XYX the best as it works with some harder to match ancient terts like batty, gliders, wintercoat
Tho I don't really care, I like them all, this is like the only instance I pay attention to the repeating colour XD
XYZ are the goat
PEQy314.png
XXY because I love the aesthetic of a matching, duller primary and secondary with a really bright tertiary. XYXs are also nice for the same reason, matchy primary and tertiary with a bright secondary
XXY because I love the aesthetic of a matching, duller primary and secondary with a really bright tertiary. XYXs are also nice for the same reason, matchy primary and tertiary with a bright secondary
S1cbV7x.png She/Her | Light Flight | Exalting Lair
Chicken Smoothie Profile
Ugly To Beautiful Challenge
All of them, but XYYs and well matching XYSs scratch fun itches. XXYs and XXXs would be mega satisfying on a g1 though and sometimes on non-g1s I just need the XXX vibe too.

XYX is underrated and can be really fun on some ancients.

tl;dr everything
All of them, but XYYs and well matching XYSs scratch fun itches. XXYs and XXXs would be mega satisfying on a g1 though and sometimes on non-g1s I just need the XXX vibe too.

XYX is underrated and can be really fun on some ancients.

tl;dr everything
rI2B9a8.png
I love XYX! It's my favourite of the doubles by far. I'm particularly fond of crackle on xyxs, looks really nice :)
I love XYX! It's my favourite of the doubles by far. I'm particularly fond of crackle on xyxs, looks really nice :)
6359e1941805ff183bd0a8181719020023cc878d.png
[quote name="Xaotician" date="2024-05-15 08:47:29" ] I figure the rise in XYZ dragons' popularity has a lot to do with the advent of genes with strong secondary colours, stained, phar/sarc, etc.. It's way easier to make a weird colour combo work now than it was in 2013. [/quote] hm, maybe. But I feel like all the accent colors also make it way easier to make a double or triple work. Like, a 2013 triple would have been painfully boring and monochrome: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=1&breed=13&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=13&tertgene=4&winggene=1&wings=13&auth=3b0bac7d67090d3d60b52558f14f3fc77c5631b8&dummyext=prev.png[/img] You really need accented genes to make a triple look good, otherwise there's no visual variety. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=87&breed=13&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=13&tertgene=18&winggene=170&wings=13&auth=1da3df4c50c3910b6f9ce9a3c3818210a16d8c1e&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=114&breed=13&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=13&tertgene=17&winggene=82&wings=13&auth=e117f3ca5347a5f54acf5e371f250d6520d6e24a&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
Xaotician wrote on 2024-05-15 08:47:29:
hm, maybe. But I feel like all the accent colors also make it way easier to make a double or triple work.

Like, a 2013 triple would have been painfully boring and monochrome:

dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=1&breed=13&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=13&tertgene=4&winggene=1&wings=13&auth=3b0bac7d67090d3d60b52558f14f3fc77c5631b8&dummyext=prev.png

You really need accented genes to make a triple look good, otherwise there's no visual variety.

dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=87&breed=13&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=13&tertgene=18&winggene=170&wings=13&auth=1da3df4c50c3910b6f9ce9a3c3818210a16d8c1e&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=114&breed=13&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=13&tertgene=17&winggene=82&wings=13&auth=e117f3ca5347a5f54acf5e371f250d6520d6e24a&dummyext=prev.png
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge (Koi Edition)
1 2 3 4 5