Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tone Tags anyone?
1 2 3 4 5
im ND (both adhd & autism) and HORRIBLE with tone, but only use them when requested. for the most part if i have something that seems ambiguous in tone i will throw in emojis, things like "lol/lmao" etc. no disrespect to those that use them at all, but for me personally i will only ask for clarification on sarcasm or if they meant that in an angry way, but otherwise i feel like it's demeaning to expect i cant know the difference between a general statement, positive, negative, etc.
im ND (both adhd & autism) and HORRIBLE with tone, but only use them when requested. for the most part if i have something that seems ambiguous in tone i will throw in emojis, things like "lol/lmao" etc. no disrespect to those that use them at all, but for me personally i will only ask for clarification on sarcasm or if they meant that in an angry way, but otherwise i feel like it's demeaning to expect i cant know the difference between a general statement, positive, negative, etc.
she | 26 | fr +2
audhd + chronically ill
tired equine nutrition student
I use both tone tags and emojis to try and convey my tone, but sometimes I leave the tags out if I feel the emojis do that well enough on their own. I mostly use them with close friends but use them less so in places where they don't seem to be common. I do have a whole list of tone tags saved for my personal reference, but I don't use more than a select few. x'D
I use both tone tags and emojis to try and convey my tone, but sometimes I leave the tags out if I feel the emojis do that well enough on their own. I mostly use them with close friends but use them less so in places where they don't seem to be common. I do have a whole list of tone tags saved for my personal reference, but I don't use more than a select few. x'D
tumblr_oswio1jT2U1v8lm95o4_100.giftumblr_oswcc6oFGq1v8lm95o2_75sq.png Hobbyist Writer57719699_nSiBYnESr0q0Pa5.pngFeel free to ping! tumblr_oswcc6oFGq1v8lm95o1_75sq.pngtumblr_oswio1jT2U1v8lm95o2_100.gif
[quote name="Frogeems" date="2024-04-29 10:11:45" ] Hi!! So, is anyone else familiar with tone tags here? I’m autistic and use them a lot to help prevent miscommunications and whatnot. But I’m worried nobody else knows of them since I seldomly see them used. And I’m also worried they get misunderstood. For example, /pos = positive connotation, happy. I used that tone tag messaging someone once, and they thought I called them a piece of bad word :( So, does anyone else here use tone tags? Any other neurodiverse players? [/quote] i started using them recently because i found them to be very healthy with conveying tone! irl i do something similar except i make sure to mention when something is meant to taken positively or if something's a joke just in case because people tend to misunderstand me a whole bunch if i don't do that
Frogeems wrote on 2024-04-29 10:11:45:
Hi!!
So, is anyone else familiar with tone tags here? I’m autistic and use them a lot to help prevent miscommunications and whatnot. But I’m worried nobody else knows of them since I seldomly see them used. And I’m also worried they get misunderstood. For example,
/pos = positive connotation, happy.
I used that tone tag messaging someone once, and they thought I called them a piece of bad word :(
So, does anyone else here use tone tags? Any other neurodiverse players?

i started using them recently because i found them to be very healthy with conveying tone! irl i do something similar except i make sure to mention when something is meant to taken positively or if something's a joke just in case because people tend to misunderstand me a whole bunch if i don't do that
• rena
• he/she
• artist
• +9 fr time
he eepy (personal piece commissioned from Tei)
tn0RSo5.pngypcKWM0.pngqeWy3Ik.png
Ut9RRot.png2uDcdCS.png
BTRr72z.png
YMPbu9R.png
they're sometimes useful to me! I sometimes can't tell if someone is joking or serious even in real life, and of course it gets even worse over text

I sometimes use them, but I am someone who types and rambles a lot, so rather than "/rtq" I'd rather just type out "(this is a rhetorical question btw)". which I think is probably more clear for people who don't have tone tags memorized anyways. I do definitely use them sometimes though! and they certainly don't bug me either
they're sometimes useful to me! I sometimes can't tell if someone is joking or serious even in real life, and of course it gets even worse over text

I sometimes use them, but I am someone who types and rambles a lot, so rather than "/rtq" I'd rather just type out "(this is a rhetorical question btw)". which I think is probably more clear for people who don't have tone tags memorized anyways. I do definitely use them sometimes though! and they certainly don't bug me either
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
im personally not a fan of tone tags besides /s and /j simply because most people aren't familiar with ones outside of that. usually, if i feel the need, i add my intent in parentheses just in case my oddball speech style confuses someone.

eg. "im going to come to your house and slap you (affectionate joke)" just because i sometimes enjoy saying things that do not mean at all what i mean for absurdist/ironic purposes
im personally not a fan of tone tags besides /s and /j simply because most people aren't familiar with ones outside of that. usually, if i feel the need, i add my intent in parentheses just in case my oddball speech style confuses someone.

eg. "im going to come to your house and slap you (affectionate joke)" just because i sometimes enjoy saying things that do not mean at all what i mean for absurdist/ironic purposes
KNiDL_Star_Rod_sprite.png 7nrEOpT.png
bYt72YT.png
Zn1clbn.png
9vwqdfK.png
tyEuRXe.png
9R2Unq1.png
CeZAyqc.png
lA1sWNh.png
Collector of gen 1 aethers, imperial enjoyer, old dragon admirer, sprite/nymph adorer
KNiDL_Star_Rod_icon.png
I'm an autistic smart-aleck who's been online for over half her life now (sad, isn't it?). Almost ALL tone tags read like condescending jargon to me. The only one I ever use is /s because I've made my share of sarcastic comments that fell flat. "/Pos" always reads to me like a phrase I can't say on this site. Anything else... Ugh, just say what you mean. I'll tolerate obnoxiously chains of emojis if I have to.

You can just tell I'm used to an entirely different web culture, I hope.
I'm an autistic smart-aleck who's been online for over half her life now (sad, isn't it?). Almost ALL tone tags read like condescending jargon to me. The only one I ever use is /s because I've made my share of sarcastic comments that fell flat. "/Pos" always reads to me like a phrase I can't say on this site. Anything else... Ugh, just say what you mean. I'll tolerate obnoxiously chains of emojis if I have to.

You can just tell I'm used to an entirely different web culture, I hope.
No tone tags, please. Just say what you mean. Will not read carrds.
YUzmw5z.png9Wis07O.pngYMPbu9R.png
Most of my job involves communicating with strangers or people I don't know very well over text so I feel like I've gotten decently good at conveying my tone. I don't tend to use sarcasm through text except when speaking to close friends.

As an autistic person, when I am speaking to people I don't know very well online I am almost always genuine in what I say, it frustrates me when people are overtly sarcastic or ironic and expect you to pick up on it over text so I avoid doing the same. Sometimes I use internet acronyms to help e.g. tbh, lol, imho. I think /s as something that has existed in online spaces for a long time is a great tool to prevent miscommunication but I know that a lot of tone tags are quite new, confusing or hard to remember so they don't really get used except by people who use them frequently enough to be comfortable with them.

Different things work for different autistic people! I think tone tags are pretty popular with younger people online but for older people online they might be more comfortable with other methods of making tone and intent obvious.
Most of my job involves communicating with strangers or people I don't know very well over text so I feel like I've gotten decently good at conveying my tone. I don't tend to use sarcasm through text except when speaking to close friends.

As an autistic person, when I am speaking to people I don't know very well online I am almost always genuine in what I say, it frustrates me when people are overtly sarcastic or ironic and expect you to pick up on it over text so I avoid doing the same. Sometimes I use internet acronyms to help e.g. tbh, lol, imho. I think /s as something that has existed in online spaces for a long time is a great tool to prevent miscommunication but I know that a lot of tone tags are quite new, confusing or hard to remember so they don't really get used except by people who use them frequently enough to be comfortable with them.

Different things work for different autistic people! I think tone tags are pretty popular with younger people online but for older people online they might be more comfortable with other methods of making tone and intent obvious.
Neurodivergent. I have 100% misread or misunderstood tone tags, especially if they're very shortened. While I wouldn't mistake the one in OP for what it was mistaken for, things that are like... two letters? I usually have no idea what you mean unless it's something super common, like /lh I assume is 'Light Hearted.' I've honestly just... started glossing over them because so many of them don't really have a clear meaning if they're abbreviated.

I'm older, so I default to 'lemme just throw an emoji in if I'm concerned that my tone might be misread here.' I don't do it QUITE as much on forums, but I've noticed that I do it a lot in chat programs like Discord where I'm chatting with people I know well.

Editing to add since my realization that ROLLOVER IS IMMINENT is no longer a concern:
Just for funsies, here are some of the things I have read the tone tags as or misinterpreted them as:
/pos as being short for position, since the only time I use 'pos' is as part of a location command in an MMO. The brain rot is firm on this one and that's all I can see when this one comes up.
/q I'm convinced that some of these have no meaning at all what am I supposed to interpret from a q
/hj I have zero idea what this one means, but I see it a lot. The only thing that springs to mind for this one is, uh, very definitely not the intended meaning but I can't and won't elaborate further.
/g Please help this makes no sense to me
/pc Computer?
/nf No fun? Not formal?
/t WHY
/ex Extreme? Excessive? I feel like I'm at least close on this one since 'ex' is a pretty common prefix but I don't remember the actual meaning.

I know I've looked some of these up before, they just... super don't stick.
Neurodivergent. I have 100% misread or misunderstood tone tags, especially if they're very shortened. While I wouldn't mistake the one in OP for what it was mistaken for, things that are like... two letters? I usually have no idea what you mean unless it's something super common, like /lh I assume is 'Light Hearted.' I've honestly just... started glossing over them because so many of them don't really have a clear meaning if they're abbreviated.

I'm older, so I default to 'lemme just throw an emoji in if I'm concerned that my tone might be misread here.' I don't do it QUITE as much on forums, but I've noticed that I do it a lot in chat programs like Discord where I'm chatting with people I know well.

Editing to add since my realization that ROLLOVER IS IMMINENT is no longer a concern:
Just for funsies, here are some of the things I have read the tone tags as or misinterpreted them as:
/pos as being short for position, since the only time I use 'pos' is as part of a location command in an MMO. The brain rot is firm on this one and that's all I can see when this one comes up.
/q I'm convinced that some of these have no meaning at all what am I supposed to interpret from a q
/hj I have zero idea what this one means, but I see it a lot. The only thing that springs to mind for this one is, uh, very definitely not the intended meaning but I can't and won't elaborate further.
/g Please help this makes no sense to me
/pc Computer?
/nf No fun? Not formal?
/t WHY
/ex Extreme? Excessive? I feel like I'm at least close on this one since 'ex' is a pretty common prefix but I don't remember the actual meaning.

I know I've looked some of these up before, they just... super don't stick.
SFixrnH.pngIeBhKII.png Tf2WhDq.pngnJ9aapY.png
I don't understand most commonly used text chat acronyms so something similar like tone tags or whatever are equally as useless and lost on me, even moreso when there's multiple different interpretations.

Just make it easy for me and say what you mean from the start instead of leaving me to guess what those random looking strings letters are supposed to mean.
I don't understand most commonly used text chat acronyms so something similar like tone tags or whatever are equally as useless and lost on me, even moreso when there's multiple different interpretations.

Just make it easy for me and say what you mean from the start instead of leaving me to guess what those random looking strings letters are supposed to mean.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
I use the more well known tone tags but otherwise I prefer to just type out what I mean, if they're less known.

Since finding out about them a lot less stuff goes over my head.
I use the more well known tone tags but otherwise I prefer to just type out what I mean, if they're less known.

Since finding out about them a lot less stuff goes over my head.
p1Pjh8S.png

p110et9.gif By Sesshin

[img][/img]
1 2 3 4 5