Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | re: hatchling festival skins
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I think adding an extra hatchling slot to the winners would be great, just make it a brewable or MP skin so those that don't want/won't use it can just skip it. And anybody who will use it, or who wants to acquire for future sale can pick it up. And yeah increase the total number of regular winners and drop the individual prices so it doesn't go way up beyond what it is now.

Aside from being good for players who have EY dragons it's a good draw to encourage players to obtain them if they want to use a fav hatchling fest skin.
I think adding an extra hatchling slot to the winners would be great, just make it a brewable or MP skin so those that don't want/won't use it can just skip it. And anybody who will use it, or who wants to acquire for future sale can pick it up. And yeah increase the total number of regular winners and drop the individual prices so it doesn't go way up beyond what it is now.

Aside from being good for players who have EY dragons it's a good draw to encourage players to obtain them if they want to use a fav hatchling fest skin.
We are still working out the specifics. In the meantime, I can assure you that:
  • Any changes or additions to the skins and festivals will happen with a new festival cycle. Ie: Brightshine Jubilee 2024 kicks off a new cycle of festivals. No changes or additions will be in effect for Greenskeeper Gathering 2024.
  • Our approach here is that any hatchling skins that are festival skins and a part of gameplay, will be that they are in addition to, not in replacement of adult skins. Everyone can use adult dragon skins. Hatchling skins, however, require an eternal youth scroll to apply, something not everyone has access to.

And to reiterate what @Aequorin said, the suggestions forum is a great place to offer up ideas on hatchling skins and festivals.
We are still working out the specifics. In the meantime, I can assure you that:
  • Any changes or additions to the skins and festivals will happen with a new festival cycle. Ie: Brightshine Jubilee 2024 kicks off a new cycle of festivals. No changes or additions will be in effect for Greenskeeper Gathering 2024.
  • Our approach here is that any hatchling skins that are festival skins and a part of gameplay, will be that they are in addition to, not in replacement of adult skins. Everyone can use adult dragon skins. Hatchling skins, however, require an eternal youth scroll to apply, something not everyone has access to.

And to reiterate what @Aequorin said, the suggestions forum is a great place to offer up ideas on hatchling skins and festivals.
[quote name="astrotheology" date="2024-04-29 12:54:01" ] I think we're overlooking the fact that you don't have to spend 350g to have a permababy? You can just... buy permababies from other players... There are dozens of permababies on the Auction House right now under 350g. [/quote] I'd like to clarify from my original post--I said that [i]someone[/i] had to pay 350g to make that dragon a permababy. Not necessarily a specific person! I could go buy a couple wildclaws off the AH right now and then breed as many additional wildclaws as I wanted for free, but a permababy costs [i]someone somewhere[/i] 350g every single time. Anyway: Everybody's making a lot of good points! Enough that I don't really have a strong opinion anymore, whoops. It's definitely a tricky situation, and I agree that there are other issues it brings to light... fest skin prices, site skin availability... I trust the staff to act in favor of players having access to cool stuff, at least! (And thank you Aequorin for letting us know the current state of the discussion on that, I don't envy you guys having to make that decision [emoji=wildclaw scared size=1]) EDIT: Thank you Undel for the clarification as well!
astrotheology wrote on 2024-04-29 12:54:01:
I think we're overlooking the fact that you don't have to spend 350g to have a permababy? You can just... buy permababies from other players... There are dozens of permababies on the Auction House right now under 350g.
I'd like to clarify from my original post--I said that someone had to pay 350g to make that dragon a permababy. Not necessarily a specific person! I could go buy a couple wildclaws off the AH right now and then breed as many additional wildclaws as I wanted for free, but a permababy costs someone somewhere 350g every single time.

Anyway: Everybody's making a lot of good points! Enough that I don't really have a strong opinion anymore, whoops. It's definitely a tricky situation, and I agree that there are other issues it brings to light... fest skin prices, site skin availability...

I trust the staff to act in favor of players having access to cool stuff, at least! (And thank you Aequorin for letting us know the current state of the discussion on that, I don't envy you guys having to make that decision )

EDIT: Thank you Undel for the clarification as well!
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png40.png
Not near enough demand for such a tiny niche only usable if you buy a gem item

I really hope they don't allow eternal youth skins into festival contests

sBdLZtA.png
Hatchling skins are incredibly niche since perma-babies are very expensive to casual players and have greatly reduced functions on the site. Only a relative handful of hatchlings can wear them compared to the massive population of adult dragons. Even if they're not competing against adult skins at the same time, I don't think giving festival slots to babies is a good idea.
Hatchling skins are incredibly niche since perma-babies are very expensive to casual players and have greatly reduced functions on the site. Only a relative handful of hatchlings can wear them compared to the massive population of adult dragons. Even if they're not competing against adult skins at the same time, I don't think giving festival slots to babies is a good idea.
[quote name="Nelsothy" date="2024-04-29 14:08:07" ] I'd like to clarify from my original post--I said that [i]someone[/i] had to pay 350g to make that dragon a permababy. Not necessarily a specific person! I could go buy a couple wildclaws off the AH right now and then breed as many additional wildclaws as I wanted for free, but a permababy costs [i]someone somewhere[/i] 350g every single time.[/quote] then making permababy skins more plentiful and readily available to encourage people to buy eternal youth scrolls acts as a gem sink as well as a treasure sink. i truly don't see any downsides to permababy fest skins as long as they are available in addition to and not instead of adult skins. if you won't use them you don't need to buy them. people who would like to use them can get them for relatively cheap compared to non-fest umas. i don't see a problem here.
Nelsothy wrote on 2024-04-29 14:08:07:
I'd like to clarify from my original post--I said that someone had to pay 350g to make that dragon a permababy. Not necessarily a specific person! I could go buy a couple wildclaws off the AH right now and then breed as many additional wildclaws as I wanted for free, but a permababy costs someone somewhere 350g every single time.
then making permababy skins more plentiful and readily available to encourage people to buy eternal youth scrolls acts as a gem sink as well as a treasure sink. i truly don't see any downsides to permababy fest skins as long as they are available in addition to and not instead of adult skins.

if you won't use them you don't need to buy them. people who would like to use them can get them for relatively cheap compared to non-fest umas. i don't see a problem here.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
[quote name="@Contaminate" date="2024-04-29 15:58:34" ] Not near enough demand for such a tiny niche only usable if you buy a gem item I really hope they don't allow eternal youth skins into festival contests [/quote] this has been a highly requested thing since i started in 2018, and from even before that time - it's probably been requested since eternal youth became a thing every week new requests for hatchling specific skins pop up in the suggestion forums, or existing hatchling skin suggestions are bumped up just because you don't see it or need it, doesn't mean the demand isn't there i do understand not wanting festival slots taken up by permababy skins - i agree that they shouldn't and should be given their own category so that the adult skins arent impacted, but i also feel like the festival skin slot system needs to be revamped once again since a majority of the skins are becoming ancient-specific
@Contaminate wrote on 2024-04-29 15:58:34:

this has been a highly requested thing since i started in 2018, and from even before that time - it's probably been requested since eternal youth became a thing

every week new requests for hatchling specific skins pop up in the suggestion forums, or existing hatchling skin suggestions are bumped up

just because you don't see it or need it, doesn't mean the demand isn't there

i do understand not wanting festival slots taken up by permababy skins - i agree that they shouldn't and should be given their own category so that the adult skins arent impacted, but i also feel like the festival skin slot system needs to be revamped once again since a majority of the skins are becoming ancient-specific
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
(Considering non-exalted only for the below. numbers are instant and definitely changed since I typed):

There are 73,127 permababies (all breeds) according to dragon search

There are 19,400,066 dragons in total (at moment of posting), meaning permababs are ~0.377% of all dragons

For reference, dusthides are at 70,251 (~0.362%)--I couldn't find when eternal youth scrolls were added to FR within a few google searches, but the earliest reference I did find was 2014. 2 weeks is around 0.38% of 10 years, funny enough...I don't know why all the numbers have to look similar :,]

So, having been available for ~0.38% of the time of permababies, Dusthides are nearly at par. That's without accounting for poses, though...

The less common adult pose for Dusthides (by just a hair, as you'd guess) is 34,193 for the F pose. A "common" permababy pose (I didn't check all of them to ensure "most common" because my god there's a lot of breeds, most with 1-2k) is coatl, at 9,366. Accounting for poses, the least common Dusthide adult pose has 3.65x as many dragons as the coatl permababy pose. For extra comparison, there's 1,812 guardian permababies--that's 0.0093% of all dragons (guardians chosen as a reasonably common breed). If you're curious, the least common I saw (that wasn't dusthides) is sandsurges, at 496.

I would appreciate someone checking the math, I hate when every number looks like every other.

Anyways, obviously this isn't the "whole story". Permababies are, I'd assume, more likely to be permanent dragons vs. temporary fodder. And having skins available will probably make permababies more appealing! In terms of personal bias, I agree with Nelsothy but am reassured by Undel's post above. Just thought it'd be neat to use Dragon Search to bring some numbers into it :)
(Considering non-exalted only for the below. numbers are instant and definitely changed since I typed):

There are 73,127 permababies (all breeds) according to dragon search

There are 19,400,066 dragons in total (at moment of posting), meaning permababs are ~0.377% of all dragons

For reference, dusthides are at 70,251 (~0.362%)--I couldn't find when eternal youth scrolls were added to FR within a few google searches, but the earliest reference I did find was 2014. 2 weeks is around 0.38% of 10 years, funny enough...I don't know why all the numbers have to look similar :,]

So, having been available for ~0.38% of the time of permababies, Dusthides are nearly at par. That's without accounting for poses, though...

The less common adult pose for Dusthides (by just a hair, as you'd guess) is 34,193 for the F pose. A "common" permababy pose (I didn't check all of them to ensure "most common" because my god there's a lot of breeds, most with 1-2k) is coatl, at 9,366. Accounting for poses, the least common Dusthide adult pose has 3.65x as many dragons as the coatl permababy pose. For extra comparison, there's 1,812 guardian permababies--that's 0.0093% of all dragons (guardians chosen as a reasonably common breed). If you're curious, the least common I saw (that wasn't dusthides) is sandsurges, at 496.

I would appreciate someone checking the math, I hate when every number looks like every other.

Anyways, obviously this isn't the "whole story". Permababies are, I'd assume, more likely to be permanent dragons vs. temporary fodder. And having skins available will probably make permababies more appealing! In terms of personal bias, I agree with Nelsothy but am reassured by Undel's post above. Just thought it'd be neat to use Dragon Search to bring some numbers into it :)
cL9yafY.gif
Hypothetically, if there were EY fest chests that dropped from various activities even if that user isn't necessarily able to apply to a dragon since an EY isn't guaranteed, they could still sell it instead of use it.
Hypothetically, if there were EY fest chests that dropped from various activities even if that user isn't necessarily able to apply to a dragon since an EY isn't guaranteed, they could still sell it instead of use it.
EY skins should be Jox-exclusives, but I'd say a very cute festival baby accent may encourage me to make more EY dragons in my lair...
EY skins should be Jox-exclusives, but I'd say a very cute festival baby accent may encourage me to make more EY dragons in my lair...
8ab3d3b2a13c364db89e13ba399ceced86ab48ef.pngtIYcLSC.png UzGmb10.png m0kyk3D.png Ask about DnD
1 2 3 4 5 6 7