Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Breeding Mentorship Hub - DWF
1 2 3 4
Hihi! I'm looking to start a breeding project for this dragon: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=154&bodygene=149&breed=22&element=1&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=95&tertgene=209&winggene=154&wings=165&auth=3075fff19c2afb32ee3b5d072759a59db83e8c88&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Any pointers/tips? Also, I'm looking for Earth eyes for this project, is there any way I can achieve that without switching flights? Thanks :D
Hihi! I'm looking to start a breeding project for this dragon:
dragon?age=1&body=154&bodygene=149&breed=22&element=1&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=95&tertgene=209&winggene=154&wings=165&auth=3075fff19c2afb32ee3b5d072759a59db83e8c88&dummyext=prev.png
Any pointers/tips?
Also, I'm looking for Earth eyes for this project, is there any way I can achieve that without switching flights?
@Cinnabari

Lovely scry!

Depending on your budget there's two ways you can go about setting it up.

1. Either you set up the project with modern dragons, and then just buy all the scrolls for her (which will include a gem gene scroll, gems being the premium currency you typically buy for real world money, and the Starfall tertiary scroll which has a limited availability until the next Starfall Celebration in September, and is currently only sold by other players on the Auction house)
2. Or, you set it up with aethers. In that case you have to make sure that all the aethers you buy have a gem secondary gene, and ideally as many as possible with butterfly. I checked the AH and Starfall for Aethers is quite expensive, so I would advise breeding that in along with butterfly in that case, which does place some gene rarity requirements on the tertiary as well.

Gem genes are the "Rare" gene rarity, you can see the gene rarities in the charts here.

As for acquiring the dragons you need for the project, I advise checking out Ganondorf's breeding guide and looking at the pyramid method.

Personally, I think the easiest way to search for dragons for my projects are by using this dragon search generator. Make your own copy of the sheet, and paste the image link of the dragon scry into it, and then you set the parameters to what you want.

So for example, if you are going for breeding it with aethers already, the important thing is making sure that the match on the secondary gene is set to "Rarity". It would be easiest to do the same with the Tertiary, but due to the thing known as "the smirch trick" you can get away with buying dragons with a lesser tier of tertiary gene, as long as you have some copies of Starfall in there. :) (The generator is currently not up to date for Aether Starfall, so for the tertiary I advise putting in Trickmurk for now so it can generate the links, and then double-check the search listings to make sure they include Starfall!)

Always start looking in the smallest possible color range, so start with only 5 colors out and see how many options you have available. Reference Ganondorf's pyramid method for which criteria each "step" of the pyramid has, and keep looking for dragons until you have as many as you need. For example, if you find one grandparent pair already, you only need to find the other half of the pyramid.

Grandparents: 2 pairs
So if you've found 1 pair, then for great-grandparents you only need to find 2 pairs, one to create each dragon of the grandparent pair you're missing

Etc.

Make sure to assay all dragons you're buying against each other so you know they can breed! :)

And lastly, patience. RNG be RNG.

Re: the eyes, there is no official way of nesting in another flight, but there's multiple networks that allow you to rent nests from other players. Sometimes it can take a while to get a nest through them but on the other hand, they are somewhat moderated by the fact that they're offering a service, so you're not very likely to lose your dragons. Personally I tend to look in Active Nest Rentals 2.0

If you have any more questions or want better explanations of any steps here just drop in again and we will happily help ^^
@Cinnabari

Lovely scry!

Depending on your budget there's two ways you can go about setting it up.

1. Either you set up the project with modern dragons, and then just buy all the scrolls for her (which will include a gem gene scroll, gems being the premium currency you typically buy for real world money, and the Starfall tertiary scroll which has a limited availability until the next Starfall Celebration in September, and is currently only sold by other players on the Auction house)
2. Or, you set it up with aethers. In that case you have to make sure that all the aethers you buy have a gem secondary gene, and ideally as many as possible with butterfly. I checked the AH and Starfall for Aethers is quite expensive, so I would advise breeding that in along with butterfly in that case, which does place some gene rarity requirements on the tertiary as well.

Gem genes are the "Rare" gene rarity, you can see the gene rarities in the charts here.

As for acquiring the dragons you need for the project, I advise checking out Ganondorf's breeding guide and looking at the pyramid method.

Personally, I think the easiest way to search for dragons for my projects are by using this dragon search generator. Make your own copy of the sheet, and paste the image link of the dragon scry into it, and then you set the parameters to what you want.

So for example, if you are going for breeding it with aethers already, the important thing is making sure that the match on the secondary gene is set to "Rarity". It would be easiest to do the same with the Tertiary, but due to the thing known as "the smirch trick" you can get away with buying dragons with a lesser tier of tertiary gene, as long as you have some copies of Starfall in there. :) (The generator is currently not up to date for Aether Starfall, so for the tertiary I advise putting in Trickmurk for now so it can generate the links, and then double-check the search listings to make sure they include Starfall!)

Always start looking in the smallest possible color range, so start with only 5 colors out and see how many options you have available. Reference Ganondorf's pyramid method for which criteria each "step" of the pyramid has, and keep looking for dragons until you have as many as you need. For example, if you find one grandparent pair already, you only need to find the other half of the pyramid.

Grandparents: 2 pairs
So if you've found 1 pair, then for great-grandparents you only need to find 2 pairs, one to create each dragon of the grandparent pair you're missing

Etc.

Make sure to assay all dragons you're buying against each other so you know they can breed! :)

And lastly, patience. RNG be RNG.

Re: the eyes, there is no official way of nesting in another flight, but there's multiple networks that allow you to rent nests from other players. Sometimes it can take a while to get a nest through them but on the other hand, they are somewhat moderated by the fact that they're offering a service, so you're not very likely to lose your dragons. Personally I tend to look in Active Nest Rentals 2.0

If you have any more questions or want better explanations of any steps here just drop in again and we will happily help ^^
tumblr-o4yu8g-UBh-N1uvtnbto1-400-2.png
Dream Dragon

Hopefully this image works, I can't quite figure out how to add images into posts T-T
If it doesn't work, the image is an male Undertide hatchling with Pharoah Phthalo, Sarcophagus Lapis, and Runes Yellow.

Alright, so I'm very new and I'm fully accepting that I may be told that this project would get out of hand too quickly and be too complicated for a beginner, due to the Undertide breed and gene rarity. No harm in trying, in my opinion :3

This is my dream dragon! I have read Ganondorf's Breeding Guide and looked at all the rarity charts and I already know this is going to be...very expensive. And very difficult due to the gene rarity. However, I could use some advice on going about it. I start with 32 dragons for the Pyramid method, correct? 16 male, 16 female, pair them off, and go from there.. Any advice for this specific guy?
Dream Dragon

Hopefully this image works, I can't quite figure out how to add images into posts T-T
If it doesn't work, the image is an male Undertide hatchling with Pharoah Phthalo, Sarcophagus Lapis, and Runes Yellow.

Alright, so I'm very new and I'm fully accepting that I may be told that this project would get out of hand too quickly and be too complicated for a beginner, due to the Undertide breed and gene rarity. No harm in trying, in my opinion :3

This is my dream dragon! I have read Ganondorf's Breeding Guide and looked at all the rarity charts and I already know this is going to be...very expensive. And very difficult due to the gene rarity. However, I could use some advice on going about it. I start with 32 dragons for the Pyramid method, correct? 16 male, 16 female, pair them off, and go from there.. Any advice for this specific guy?
bTpmVk6.png
noah4HP.png
B1biG2b.png
QetF0Qf.png
3ZGSXan.png
mOATlBI.png
8TVvoOq.png
gYW0j5f.png
CmsiHgQ.png
nafQSbU.png
2VtxnMX.png
J7D1quC.png
@KasperKat

The image does work, you got it right!

Now into the project.

Yes, you have the right idea! Grab 32 individuals, make sure they aren't related and just get to work. It's going to take work, but like you said, no harm in trying and you will get there, it may just take time. Don't forget, reject babies can be sold or exalted so the cost can be mitigated.

To be honest, depending on how much time you're willing to spend, those genes aren't that rare in the pool of all undertides. Through dragon search, I found 142 dragons with those three genes already, though some may be related. What I am trying to say is, you've got a great starting point! One aspect to consider that may help is politely messaging some folks from Dragon Search to see if anyone is willing to stud their dragons out. (Before messaging, always check bio in case folks don't stud/want to interact.)

Edit: I just remembered one more thing. You have two starting points. You can start right as undertide, which does shrink your pool, OR you can start with a modern breed and just gene at the end. I recommend taking a peek at AH for genes/colours before deciding on a route.
Hopefully this helped, feel free to message again if you have more questions!
@KasperKat

The image does work, you got it right!

Now into the project.

Yes, you have the right idea! Grab 32 individuals, make sure they aren't related and just get to work. It's going to take work, but like you said, no harm in trying and you will get there, it may just take time. Don't forget, reject babies can be sold or exalted so the cost can be mitigated.

To be honest, depending on how much time you're willing to spend, those genes aren't that rare in the pool of all undertides. Through dragon search, I found 142 dragons with those three genes already, though some may be related. What I am trying to say is, you've got a great starting point! One aspect to consider that may help is politely messaging some folks from Dragon Search to see if anyone is willing to stud their dragons out. (Before messaging, always check bio in case folks don't stud/want to interact.)

Edit: I just remembered one more thing. You have two starting points. You can start right as undertide, which does shrink your pool, OR you can start with a modern breed and just gene at the end. I recommend taking a peek at AH for genes/colours before deciding on a route.
Hopefully this helped, feel free to message again if you have more questions!
1Tb5pBN.pngbeanie.pngwind_panbling_by_cicide76536-dcipnll.gif
@KaitoWang

Thank you so much! I do have one question - is there a way to see complete dragon lineage? I can't seem to find like a "Family" button or anything. Does making sure they're not related just mean checking their parents, or do I have to comb back a certain number of generations? :3

And thank you so much for the help!! I'm definitely going to follow all of your advice! orz
@KaitoWang

Thank you so much! I do have one question - is there a way to see complete dragon lineage? I can't seem to find like a "Family" button or anything. Does making sure they're not related just mean checking their parents, or do I have to comb back a certain number of generations? :3

And thank you so much for the help!! I'm definitely going to follow all of your advice! orz
bTpmVk6.png
noah4HP.png
B1biG2b.png
QetF0Qf.png
3ZGSXan.png
mOATlBI.png
8TVvoOq.png
gYW0j5f.png
CmsiHgQ.png
nafQSbU.png
2VtxnMX.png
J7D1quC.png
@KasperKat

No worries at all!

There isn't an easy way to see the entire family tree, but Assaying is the best tool we have. Simply plug the dragons in that you're looking at, and the tool will guide you on whether or not they can breed. This will also tell you where the crossbreeding happened so you can calculate how many more generations to go before the two lines can breed again.

Let me know if you need further clarification, best of luck on your journey!
@KasperKat

No worries at all!

There isn't an easy way to see the entire family tree, but Assaying is the best tool we have. Simply plug the dragons in that you're looking at, and the tool will guide you on whether or not they can breed. This will also tell you where the crossbreeding happened so you can calculate how many more generations to go before the two lines can breed again.

Let me know if you need further clarification, best of luck on your journey!
@KaitoWang Awesome, thank you sososo much!!
@KaitoWang Awesome, thank you sososo much!!
bTpmVk6.png
noah4HP.png
B1biG2b.png
QetF0Qf.png
3ZGSXan.png
mOATlBI.png
8TVvoOq.png
gYW0j5f.png
CmsiHgQ.png
nafQSbU.png
2VtxnMX.png
J7D1quC.png

Hi! Looking to start a project for this dragon, any tips? I know the Tertiary color, especially the gene might be harder to get.

Hi! Looking to start a project for this dragon, any tips? I know the Tertiary color, especially the gene might be harder to get.
Say hi to Steelfang!90747674.png
@meowmeowtag

Hey there!

I don't think the tertiary colour will be as hard as you think. I just set up a white range/white range/ green range search in AH going not super far and found over 50 dragons. Those are good odds to work with! You can further the range/go the other direction I did, (I went Cream-Dust/Fern-Chartreuse). You are however, correct that that gene seems to be very unpopular. That said, as you breed rejects, you can exalt/sell for currency so that will offset the cost if you can't breed in the gene.

The best tip I have for this one is to not worry about the gene, but go for colour. If you do find the gene on a usable dragon, you can always restructure the breeding, but waiting for a usable dragon with the gene to pop up will take loads more time.

Hope that helped!
@meowmeowtag

Hey there!

I don't think the tertiary colour will be as hard as you think. I just set up a white range/white range/ green range search in AH going not super far and found over 50 dragons. Those are good odds to work with! You can further the range/go the other direction I did, (I went Cream-Dust/Fern-Chartreuse). You are however, correct that that gene seems to be very unpopular. That said, as you breed rejects, you can exalt/sell for currency so that will offset the cost if you can't breed in the gene.

The best tip I have for this one is to not worry about the gene, but go for colour. If you do find the gene on a usable dragon, you can always restructure the breeding, but waiting for a usable dragon with the gene to pop up will take loads more time.

Hope that helped!
@KaitoWang

I see, thank you very much!
@KaitoWang

I see, thank you very much!
Say hi to Steelfang!90747674.png
1 2 3 4