Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | On the community itself
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Toxic positivity is becoming something of a societal norm, though - not just on FR or on dragon related topics. I find it harder and harder to post any opinion, negative experience, or even slight criticism without experiencing some kind of backlash.

No one wants anyone to rain on their parade. No one wants to be disagreed with. No one wants to consider the opinions of others' or that they may be just as valid as their own.

It creates something of an echo box with the majority nodding to the tune of, "Just shut up and be happy!" There's even a book on the subject - "Bright-Sided." It highlights several aspects of toxic positivity, focusing on how many major American companies can and do fire employees for negative thinking or "poor attitude" when they question or criticize leadership.

Ironically, when those companies began to fail because of all the, "Just shut up and be happy!" nodding along they were doing, those in leadership looked around and said, "Why didn't anyone tell us this was a bad idea? Why didn't someone stop us? Where were all the adults?"

Well, sir, you fired them all.

Negativity has its place. Well-meaning criticism has its place. People can feel badly about something. They can dislike something. They can disagree.

I like Dusthides. They're alright. That's my positive thought for the day. I wish they had capsule. There's my criticism. Please don't hate me.
Toxic positivity is becoming something of a societal norm, though - not just on FR or on dragon related topics. I find it harder and harder to post any opinion, negative experience, or even slight criticism without experiencing some kind of backlash.

No one wants anyone to rain on their parade. No one wants to be disagreed with. No one wants to consider the opinions of others' or that they may be just as valid as their own.

It creates something of an echo box with the majority nodding to the tune of, "Just shut up and be happy!" There's even a book on the subject - "Bright-Sided." It highlights several aspects of toxic positivity, focusing on how many major American companies can and do fire employees for negative thinking or "poor attitude" when they question or criticize leadership.

Ironically, when those companies began to fail because of all the, "Just shut up and be happy!" nodding along they were doing, those in leadership looked around and said, "Why didn't anyone tell us this was a bad idea? Why didn't someone stop us? Where were all the adults?"

Well, sir, you fired them all.

Negativity has its place. Well-meaning criticism has its place. People can feel badly about something. They can dislike something. They can disagree.

I like Dusthides. They're alright. That's my positive thought for the day. I wish they had capsule. There's my criticism. Please don't hate me.
I collect: 52030.png52031.png
I don't know why people are thinking this thread will be locked- it seems to be a civil discourse at most.

I'll be honest- this post just feels like "touch grass" moment. Between people all making lots of threads instead of choosing one, and just. I dunno. That's how the forums are though for a 1000s of player base. And as someone pointed out before- tone is impossible to tell on forums.

People will dislike new breeds. People will love them. I am genuinely curious where the "dislike" is for this dragon. Is it simply just for how it's themed? Because it feels very Earth Ancient to me. I'm not a huge fan of Undertides but people who can rock them make me smile.

I do think the criticism thread I saw on the art direction had SOME validity- but they also point out it's the COMMUNITY'S fault as well. Their art direction leaning more towards what they KNOW will be likely popular.

Now. Is there actual gene breaking issues? Is there color issues? Are they super bugged? Or is it an art direction problem?

I don't know why people are thinking this thread will be locked- it seems to be a civil discourse at most.

I'll be honest- this post just feels like "touch grass" moment. Between people all making lots of threads instead of choosing one, and just. I dunno. That's how the forums are though for a 1000s of player base. And as someone pointed out before- tone is impossible to tell on forums.

People will dislike new breeds. People will love them. I am genuinely curious where the "dislike" is for this dragon. Is it simply just for how it's themed? Because it feels very Earth Ancient to me. I'm not a huge fan of Undertides but people who can rock them make me smile.

I do think the criticism thread I saw on the art direction had SOME validity- but they also point out it's the COMMUNITY'S fault as well. Their art direction leaning more towards what they KNOW will be likely popular.

Now. Is there actual gene breaking issues? Is there color issues? Are they super bugged? Or is it an art direction problem?

punkinator919_by_pyromaniacalbonsai-dc5zq7l.gif
[quote name="LilLegendary" date="2024-04-18 15:23:23" ] just did a full thread read-through (DANG son that's a lotta pages) and ftmp i'm in cahoots with the majority o the folks here. 'cept i don't really get why people are upset with "the front page of FRD is full of nothing but sandsurge threads" because... that's kind of what forum styled discussion is about. one person makes a statement and then the rest of the thread is for responding to THAT statement. there can be small replies to the other responses but the thread will still ultimately be about the initial post. i know a dang big chunk of the fr playerbase also happens to be discord users, but chat styled discussion (where responding further to replies and subreplies is encouraged) and forum styled discussion is not the same, and trying to use a forum as a chat isn't gonna get anyone the results they want. the front page of FRD is gonna be nothing but sandsurge threads, positive and negative, because they're new. if you don't wanna see something, dead dove. read the labels. if you don't even want to know they exist, you're outta luck. [/quote] eh I'm very aware how forums work considering I grew up using them, but typically on the ones I used when I was younger, thing were a bit more... condensed is the word I think I'm looking for and being on a forum where this many similar threads at once is actually allowed is a fairly new experience for me. typically, I just check in most days hoping to find more of a variety of discussions than just 5 or so threads consecutively that all make the same points in different ways. it does spark discussion, just discussions that end up becoming a little bit homogenous when it's all the same people replying to them I know it just comes with the territory of a breed release where people wanna give their feedback, it doesn't bother me too terribly much, just clarifying
LilLegendary wrote on 2024-04-18 15:23:23:
just did a full thread read-through (DANG son that's a lotta pages) and ftmp i'm in cahoots with the majority o the folks here. 'cept i don't really get why people are upset with "the front page of FRD is full of nothing but sandsurge threads" because... that's kind of what forum styled discussion is about. one person makes a statement and then the rest of the thread is for responding to THAT statement. there can be small replies to the other responses but the thread will still ultimately be about the initial post. i know a dang big chunk of the fr playerbase also happens to be discord users, but chat styled discussion (where responding further to replies and subreplies is encouraged) and forum styled discussion is not the same, and trying to use a forum as a chat isn't gonna get anyone the results they want. the front page of FRD is gonna be nothing but sandsurge threads, positive and negative, because they're new. if you don't wanna see something, dead dove. read the labels. if you don't even want to know they exist, you're outta luck.

eh I'm very aware how forums work considering I grew up using them, but typically on the ones I used when I was younger, thing were a bit more... condensed is the word I think I'm looking for and being on a forum where this many similar threads at once is actually allowed is a fairly new experience for me. typically, I just check in most days hoping to find more of a variety of discussions than just 5 or so threads consecutively that all make the same points in different ways. it does spark discussion, just discussions that end up becoming a little bit homogenous when it's all the same people replying to them

I know it just comes with the territory of a breed release where people wanna give their feedback, it doesn't bother me too terribly much, just clarifying
[quote name="LilLegendary" date="2024-04-18 15:23:23" ] just did a full thread read-through (DANG son that's a lotta pages) and ftmp i'm in cahoots with the majority o the folks here. 'cept i don't really get why people are upset with "the front page of FRD is full of nothing but sandsurge threads" because... that's kind of what forum styled discussion is about. one person makes a statement and then the rest of the thread is for responding to THAT statement. there can be small replies to the other responses but the thread will still ultimately be about the initial post. i know a dang big chunk of the fr playerbase also happens to be discord users, but chat styled discussion (where responding further to replies and subreplies is encouraged) and forum styled discussion is not the same, and trying to use a forum as a chat isn't gonna get anyone the results they want. the front page of FRD is gonna be nothing but sandsurge threads, positive and negative, because they're new. if you don't wanna see something, dead dove. read the labels. if you don't even want to know they exist, you're outta luck. [/quote] This is not.... An excuse? I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude, but most people know how the forums work. And it is much harder to create a whole new thread in "response"? Then if you reply to the thread in question. Idk maybe I read this really wrong, but I meant frd the forum itself and not individual threads when I said it was filled top to bottom with threads all about the same thing
LilLegendary wrote on 2024-04-18 15:23:23:
just did a full thread read-through (DANG son that's a lotta pages) and ftmp i'm in cahoots with the majority o the folks here. 'cept i don't really get why people are upset with "the front page of FRD is full of nothing but sandsurge threads" because... that's kind of what forum styled discussion is about. one person makes a statement and then the rest of the thread is for responding to THAT statement. there can be small replies to the other responses but the thread will still ultimately be about the initial post. i know a dang big chunk of the fr playerbase also happens to be discord users, but chat styled discussion (where responding further to replies and subreplies is encouraged) and forum styled discussion is not the same, and trying to use a forum as a chat isn't gonna get anyone the results they want. the front page of FRD is gonna be nothing but sandsurge threads, positive and negative, because they're new. if you don't wanna see something, dead dove. read the labels. if you don't even want to know they exist, you're outta luck.
This is not.... An excuse? I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude, but most people know how the forums work. And it is much harder to create a whole new thread in "response"? Then if you reply to the thread in question. Idk maybe I read this really wrong, but I meant frd the forum itself and not individual threads when I said it was filled top to bottom with threads all about the same thing
in7SefG.png
Toxic positivity is a form of dysfunctional emotional regulation and management, wherein the individual denies that there are any issues and even denies their own negative emotions.

(Noting here, all 'you's' are the general 'you')

I want to caution everyone about making such wide, general, and declarative statements about the mental health of your fellow players and the overall community. Just because they disagree with you or are concerned about the amount of negativity they're seeing doesn't make them toxically positive. That's quite the opposite of toxic positivity, because they aren't pretending that the negative concerns don't exist to the detriment of their well-being.

Just as it's valid to not like any given content update, it's equally valid to be happy with the same content update. It's also valid to feel overwhelmed by and pushback on a stream of negativity with positivity. We gave everyone space yesterday and today to process their feelings and that can have mixed results. That said, it's not okay to be disrespectful or rude to someone who disagrees with you, which includes accusing them of any form of toxicity.

These are forums, they move slowly, and there is space for multiple discussions and points of view. Participation is voluntary and you can preview your words before you click 'Submit'. If a discussion is making you feel heated to the point you're getting in arguments or making declarative generalizations about others, it's time to take a break. Thank you.
Toxic positivity is a form of dysfunctional emotional regulation and management, wherein the individual denies that there are any issues and even denies their own negative emotions.

(Noting here, all 'you's' are the general 'you')

I want to caution everyone about making such wide, general, and declarative statements about the mental health of your fellow players and the overall community. Just because they disagree with you or are concerned about the amount of negativity they're seeing doesn't make them toxically positive. That's quite the opposite of toxic positivity, because they aren't pretending that the negative concerns don't exist to the detriment of their well-being.

Just as it's valid to not like any given content update, it's equally valid to be happy with the same content update. It's also valid to feel overwhelmed by and pushback on a stream of negativity with positivity. We gave everyone space yesterday and today to process their feelings and that can have mixed results. That said, it's not okay to be disrespectful or rude to someone who disagrees with you, which includes accusing them of any form of toxicity.

These are forums, they move slowly, and there is space for multiple discussions and points of view. Participation is voluntary and you can preview your words before you click 'Submit'. If a discussion is making you feel heated to the point you're getting in arguments or making declarative generalizations about others, it's time to take a break. Thank you.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8