Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Dusthide Coverage Critique
1 2 3 4
I absolutely agree, those horn mockups could actually drastically improve what's missing from this breed
I absolutely agree, those horn mockups could actually drastically improve what's missing from this breed
No thanks. I like that they look like early proto-reptiles/dinos or scaly naked molerats. Bald is beautiful.

Also I love that their current terts basically act as different toupees or hairstyles where on another breed they'd clash with the existing horns or manes.
No thanks. I like that they look like early proto-reptiles/dinos or scaly naked molerats. Bald is beautiful.

Also I love that their current terts basically act as different toupees or hairstyles where on another breed they'd clash with the existing horns or manes.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
huge support, i wish these mockups were real u.u
huge support, i wish these mockups were real u.u
W6mRcKD.png empty space
why are you selecting it
No support from me, I like the nekkid kiddos.
No support from me, I like the nekkid kiddos.
Digital Artist! Check out my website, Patreon!

header_image.png
I do wish the Dusthides had more scaling going on around their head, or tapered heads/faces more similar to that Gaerd suggestion from a while back.
Just something to give them a little more detail, and smoother shape transitions between the head and body.

(I'm not entirely sure how the scutes that they have running down the back of their heads are supposed to work. The direction and shape that they sweep back to suggests we're looking at them from a full sideview, but their nose and mouth are pointed at an angle towards the viewer, suggesting otherwise. A perspective error, or am I looking at this wrong?)

I'm not a big fan of having to choose between head detail, or more coloration like Underbelly. But this is how it is due to the ornamentation options being limited to exclusively using our one tertiary slot.
I do wish the Dusthides had more scaling going on around their head, or tapered heads/faces more similar to that Gaerd suggestion from a while back.
Just something to give them a little more detail, and smoother shape transitions between the head and body.

(I'm not entirely sure how the scutes that they have running down the back of their heads are supposed to work. The direction and shape that they sweep back to suggests we're looking at them from a full sideview, but their nose and mouth are pointed at an angle towards the viewer, suggesting otherwise. A perspective error, or am I looking at this wrong?)

I'm not a big fan of having to choose between head detail, or more coloration like Underbelly. But this is how it is due to the ornamentation options being limited to exclusively using our one tertiary slot.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
Aaah nooo, I like their little bald heads. I also like the bald coatl lady heads, so I'm definitely in the minority there haha. I can get behind all the rest of this, though!
Aaah nooo, I like their little bald heads. I also like the bald coatl lady heads, so I'm definitely in the minority there haha. I can get behind all the rest of this, though!
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
In a general sense, I do not want breed art changed after release unless there is a major error or reason to do so. We had that with Faes and all that's resulted in is a situation where they have the original lineart on Iri and the updated lineart everywhere else. It didn't particularly solve anything, in my opinion, and even then they were only smoothing down one line and not making design or silhouette changes. In general, changing the actual design after the fact just results in people who liked the design losing something they liked, which they will never get back if that design is considered an "error" to be fixed.

For all the errors/mistakes/etc people see in something as subjective as a design, my thought exercise would be: how would you feel if that happened to your favorite breed? What if your favorite design decision was considered an error and needed to be fixed, and the devs did it? It doesn't matter how unreasonable it feels, how much your favorite design decision clearly isn't an error, according to you— just imagine how it would feel.

That feeling I'm trying to evoke is why I don't support major design changes after the fact, even if I personally don't like the design— that's why we now have the time limit on consistency errors for genes, and why I'm glad for it! For the people who do like something, to lose it by it being considered an error feels really bad: you know you're never going to get anything like it again if it people consider it something to be corrected.

(Not even going to get into the UMA issue, but that's something to consider, too, and another reason I don't really want lineart to be changed after the fact— apparel with Moderns, too, though obviously Dusthides specifically are Ancients and that doesn't apply to them. But, like, for the Tundra M foot thing, as frustrating as I feel that sometimes is for the devs and artists and potentially users, or as much as I wish they could solve the wing fitting into the size box issue differently for some of the older breeds where it's more obvious, I'd probably be intensely uncomfortable if it actually got changed for all these reasons.)

Back to the topic of Dusthides instead of general art-changes-after-the-fact, personally, though, I think having one breed without any head decoration is fun! We genuinely have not had that before, so it feels very unique and fresh to me. All the other dragons have something on their heads, most of them quite a bit between horns, crests of various sorts, spiney ridges, etc, but Dusthides don't, and that's interesting and new and fun to play with. Plus, since they're Ancients, people who hate the head shape can use the head-altering terts to create a silhouette they like better— so perhaps your mockup could inspire a simpler head-altering tert? I don't dislike it or anything, it's cute, I just really like and appreciate the look we're currently getting with Dusthides as well!
In a general sense, I do not want breed art changed after release unless there is a major error or reason to do so. We had that with Faes and all that's resulted in is a situation where they have the original lineart on Iri and the updated lineart everywhere else. It didn't particularly solve anything, in my opinion, and even then they were only smoothing down one line and not making design or silhouette changes. In general, changing the actual design after the fact just results in people who liked the design losing something they liked, which they will never get back if that design is considered an "error" to be fixed.

For all the errors/mistakes/etc people see in something as subjective as a design, my thought exercise would be: how would you feel if that happened to your favorite breed? What if your favorite design decision was considered an error and needed to be fixed, and the devs did it? It doesn't matter how unreasonable it feels, how much your favorite design decision clearly isn't an error, according to you— just imagine how it would feel.

That feeling I'm trying to evoke is why I don't support major design changes after the fact, even if I personally don't like the design— that's why we now have the time limit on consistency errors for genes, and why I'm glad for it! For the people who do like something, to lose it by it being considered an error feels really bad: you know you're never going to get anything like it again if it people consider it something to be corrected.

(Not even going to get into the UMA issue, but that's something to consider, too, and another reason I don't really want lineart to be changed after the fact— apparel with Moderns, too, though obviously Dusthides specifically are Ancients and that doesn't apply to them. But, like, for the Tundra M foot thing, as frustrating as I feel that sometimes is for the devs and artists and potentially users, or as much as I wish they could solve the wing fitting into the size box issue differently for some of the older breeds where it's more obvious, I'd probably be intensely uncomfortable if it actually got changed for all these reasons.)

Back to the topic of Dusthides instead of general art-changes-after-the-fact, personally, though, I think having one breed without any head decoration is fun! We genuinely have not had that before, so it feels very unique and fresh to me. All the other dragons have something on their heads, most of them quite a bit between horns, crests of various sorts, spiney ridges, etc, but Dusthides don't, and that's interesting and new and fun to play with. Plus, since they're Ancients, people who hate the head shape can use the head-altering terts to create a silhouette they like better— so perhaps your mockup could inspire a simpler head-altering tert? I don't dislike it or anything, it's cute, I just really like and appreciate the look we're currently getting with Dusthides as well!
In terms of breed coverage, I feel like it can be good to tie in the smaller details with each other to give a bigger message of what the breed is. I won’t lie that the baldness felt really off for a bit, especially as compared to the tail which feels very rugged. But at the same time, I do wonder if the ‘baldness’ itself feels ‘unfinished’ as some called it or if it can be considered a part of the characteristics. Would bald dragons work for the community if that became the main focus? I feel like that’s a point that needs to be looked into before knowing if coverage is a bigger problem.

As for gene coverage, I think it’s a good mix of having subtle and more expanded coverage so I don’t want that to change personally. But Antlers did feel pretty off for a furless breed. I would had liked to see more fur to make it more cohesive.
In terms of breed coverage, I feel like it can be good to tie in the smaller details with each other to give a bigger message of what the breed is. I won’t lie that the baldness felt really off for a bit, especially as compared to the tail which feels very rugged. But at the same time, I do wonder if the ‘baldness’ itself feels ‘unfinished’ as some called it or if it can be considered a part of the characteristics. Would bald dragons work for the community if that became the main focus? I feel like that’s a point that needs to be looked into before knowing if coverage is a bigger problem.

As for gene coverage, I think it’s a good mix of having subtle and more expanded coverage so I don’t want that to change personally. But Antlers did feel pretty off for a furless breed. I would had liked to see more fur to make it more cohesive.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
[quote name="mothscale" date="2024-04-18 13:20:58" ] In general, changing the actual design after the fact just results in people who liked the design losing something they liked, which they will never get back if that design is considered an "error" to be fixed. [/quote] Hello, as the creator of this thread, I just wanted to chime in and say this is a good point; however, just so there's no misunderstanding, my original post is more about a critique of the design flow for things to keep in mind, rather than truly advocating for a change now that the species has been fully implemented. As noted, I realize that there are a plethora of problems that come with altering something after the fact (as even exemplified by the issue in the past with genes getting a change long after they've been released, causing unhappiness and unrest). I'm not trying to say that my opinion alone is the only true canon or anything of that sort, just to be abundantly clear on where I stand. I'm merely offering my own small ideas into the mix, that's all. What I was trying to convey was more in the lines of moving forwards— for future endeavors, I would hope that the idea of making sure that coverage is consistent on the design is taken into more consideration for subsequent breeds, if that makes any sense! Furthermore, for those expressing that they enjoy the simplicity of the head and its relatively flatness, I think that's perfectly valid, as well. I also wanted to state that in trying to talk about design-related flow, that I hopefully didn't come across as having any prejudice against "bald" head types. I worry that my words could be misconstrued and turned negative with that kind of an idea, and I just want to clarify my approach is from a design-critiquing nature only, and nothing of that other sort. Especially since we're talking about a dragon and not a real human individual who lacks hair. For instance, these are points often brought up within the animation community, that designs should be noticeable and unique from their silhouettes alone, speaking of their character without you even seeing the full details. That's the heart of what I was trying to voice, and head region in general is just a very large focal point of a creature. But perhaps a different argument could be made that the simplicity of it [b]is[/b] the way in which it stands out, when so many other breeds do have more defining features there, you know? There's definitely merit to be had in "less is more," no doubt about that, and again I did note that the Dusthide does intentionally have a sleeker feel to it, being so mobile. Sometimes, the opposite notion can be true: too much clutter to the head region can dilute the silhouette of a design as well, therefore making it overwhelming in a negative way. I think that a balance is needed to really master the art of creating something engaging, but not too plain vs. something that's unique and stands out simultaneously, without being too much. (I say this, but all my dragons are avalanched in apparel because Chaos Clutter is just my personal aesthetic taste, haha. That's just what makes me personally happy, and my way of playing the game is valid, too. I'm like this on every virtual petsite I play. Y'all should see the way I dress up my Chicken Smoothie pets; I cram just about every single possible item onto them, but that's a tangent...) And again: for those who enjoy the design, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, even those calling it a "minority opinion" - there is a sense of wonder and love in a niche market like that. Even if it doesn't please a majority, that doesn't erase its right to exist, you know? I think that there's something on Flight Rising for everyone, and that variety is what helps this game succeed, as every person finds something that they can enjoy, their own corner to appreciate and interpret the dragons in a way that benefits them and their own unique playstyle. Admittedly, it makes me quite happy to hear that people do like the Dusthide as-is; I hope that I wasn't coming across as disgruntled, I guess? I personally like the breed myself, and plan on getting a few in my lair whenever I have the funds / focus / energy / etc. for it. (And even though Antlers was used in my mockup, I actually do also like the gene. I'm biased because deer are my favorite animal, so the chances of my getting one of these fellas with it eventually is rather high...) I was merely trying to offer up some design critique for what I personally feel was lacking for some of its overall flow, ah... Anyways. I ramble too much. As mentioned, these were only my personal thoughts on the matter, and by no means should reflect how anyone else perceives the breed. In conclusion, I was quite specifically targeting the overall flow and feel of the design. (I... really hope that I'm making sense; I'm autistic, and sometimes I'm not sure if what I'm saying is being conveyed in the way and tone of my innermost ideas, ah? Also, apologies if I'm over-explaining everything. I struggle with being concise.) Regardless of whether you enjoy my little mockups, or if they're not really your cup of tea, I thank everyone for their feedback thus far, and hope you are all having a super marvelous day today! Remember to eat something if you haven't within the last few hours! (It's me— I haven't remembered, whoops. I'm reminding myself too, haha. I'm a disaster; goodbye. Take care, everyone, and do stay safe!)
mothscale wrote on 2024-04-18 13:20:58:
In general, changing the actual design after the fact just results in people who liked the design losing something they liked, which they will never get back if that design is considered an "error" to be fixed.

Hello, as the creator of this thread, I just wanted to chime in and say this is a good point; however, just so there's no misunderstanding, my original post is more about a critique of the design flow for things to keep in mind, rather than truly advocating for a change now that the species has been fully implemented. As noted, I realize that there are a plethora of problems that come with altering something after the fact (as even exemplified by the issue in the past with genes getting a change long after they've been released, causing unhappiness and unrest). I'm not trying to say that my opinion alone is the only true canon or anything of that sort, just to be abundantly clear on where I stand. I'm merely offering my own small ideas into the mix, that's all.

What I was trying to convey was more in the lines of moving forwards— for future endeavors, I would hope that the idea of making sure that coverage is consistent on the design is taken into more consideration for subsequent breeds, if that makes any sense! Furthermore, for those expressing that they enjoy the simplicity of the head and its relatively flatness, I think that's perfectly valid, as well. I also wanted to state that in trying to talk about design-related flow, that I hopefully didn't come across as having any prejudice against "bald" head types. I worry that my words could be misconstrued and turned negative with that kind of an idea, and I just want to clarify my approach is from a design-critiquing nature only, and nothing of that other sort. Especially since we're talking about a dragon and not a real human individual who lacks hair.

For instance, these are points often brought up within the animation community, that designs should be noticeable and unique from their silhouettes alone, speaking of their character without you even seeing the full details. That's the heart of what I was trying to voice, and head region in general is just a very large focal point of a creature. But perhaps a different argument could be made that the simplicity of it is the way in which it stands out, when so many other breeds do have more defining features there, you know?

There's definitely merit to be had in "less is more," no doubt about that, and again I did note that the Dusthide does intentionally have a sleeker feel to it, being so mobile. Sometimes, the opposite notion can be true: too much clutter to the head region can dilute the silhouette of a design as well, therefore making it overwhelming in a negative way. I think that a balance is needed to really master the art of creating something engaging, but not too plain vs. something that's unique and stands out simultaneously, without being too much. (I say this, but all my dragons are avalanched in apparel because Chaos Clutter is just my personal aesthetic taste, haha. That's just what makes me personally happy, and my way of playing the game is valid, too. I'm like this on every virtual petsite I play. Y'all should see the way I dress up my Chicken Smoothie pets; I cram just about every single possible item onto them, but that's a tangent...)

And again: for those who enjoy the design, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, even those calling it a "minority opinion" - there is a sense of wonder and love in a niche market like that. Even if it doesn't please a majority, that doesn't erase its right to exist, you know? I think that there's something on Flight Rising for everyone, and that variety is what helps this game succeed, as every person finds something that they can enjoy, their own corner to appreciate and interpret the dragons in a way that benefits them and their own unique playstyle.

Admittedly, it makes me quite happy to hear that people do like the Dusthide as-is; I hope that I wasn't coming across as disgruntled, I guess? I personally like the breed myself, and plan on getting a few in my lair whenever I have the funds / focus / energy / etc. for it. (And even though Antlers was used in my mockup, I actually do also like the gene. I'm biased because deer are my favorite animal, so the chances of my getting one of these fellas with it eventually is rather high...) I was merely trying to offer up some design critique for what I personally feel was lacking for some of its overall flow, ah...

Anyways. I ramble too much. As mentioned, these were only my personal thoughts on the matter, and by no means should reflect how anyone else perceives the breed. In conclusion, I was quite specifically targeting the overall flow and feel of the design. (I... really hope that I'm making sense; I'm autistic, and sometimes I'm not sure if what I'm saying is being conveyed in the way and tone of my innermost ideas, ah? Also, apologies if I'm over-explaining everything. I struggle with being concise.)

Regardless of whether you enjoy my little mockups, or if they're not really your cup of tea, I thank everyone for their feedback thus far, and hope you are all having a super marvelous day today! Remember to eat something if you haven't within the last few hours! (It's me— I haven't remembered, whoops. I'm reminding myself too, haha. I'm a disaster; goodbye. Take care, everyone, and do stay safe!)
2022_fr-signature.png
VAIXATION
(vikes-ZAY-shun)
THEY/THEM/THEIRS
2022_fr-signature-margin.png
2022_fr-profile-divider-4.png
ABOUT || ART || ACCENTS
2022_fr-profile-divider-1.png
2022_fr-signature-2.png
And just like that, you fixed the breed..
And just like that, you fixed the breed..
1 2 3 4