Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ...Dissapointed w/ the Dusthides
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 32 33
[quote name="Wisdum" date="2024-04-17 13:42:48" ] I'm disappointed were complaining again. Why can FR players never seem to be satisfied [/quote] This. I'm usually not an ancient fan, but this is an amazing breed imo. They really went and dropped a breed and genes that go hard and people are out here complaining about it
Wisdum wrote on 2024-04-17 13:42:48:
I'm disappointed were complaining again. Why can FR players never seem to be satisfied
This. I'm usually not an ancient fan, but this is an amazing breed imo. They really went and dropped a breed and genes that go hard and people are out here complaining about it
79659922.png come appreciate booger
he is the dragon of all time
J7D1quC.png
lAvpyOQ.pngxgrjPS4.png
i collect ghostly auras! Ghostly Aura
[quote name="Lednik" date="2024-04-17 13:36:26" ] [quote name="Glacecakes" date="2024-04-17 13:31:01" ] This thread is going to be locked any second now lol Genuine question: why do yall want wingless dragons so badly? The whole point of a dragon is a winged lizard. That’s what they are. A dragon without wings is just. A magic lizard. [/quote] Dragons are only restricted to winged lizards if you hold to DnD rules. There's a ton of unique mythology out there with things called dragons that are funny little guys that definitely aren't a template winged lizard. Also yknow, Chinese dragons exist and are pretty neat, I think people tend to like those last I checked. The placement of the secondary gene is also something you could have fun with and people were making a lot of fun suggestions beforehand, its something you could get real wild with if you wanted to! Edit: Pulling from anther media source even dungeon meshi my beloved [img]https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/delicious-in-dungeon/images/2/28/Red_Dragon_color.png[/img] [/quote] Posting again, and being an avid mythology nerd as well, there’s tons of variety of “dragon” like creatures in folklore around the world! From modern western dragons, to the longs/lungs of eastern mythos, the Aztec Quetzalcoatl , the Rainbow serpent of Aboriginal myth, the Indian Naga, and even the French questing beasts are all considered “dragons”. Heck, even the original word origin dragon, “Draco”, meant more of a serpentine creature back in ancient history. That’s why we have so many sea serpents being called dragons. It’s such a big rabbit hole and mess I always get flashbacks of the dragon classification controversy haha. I would totally recommend watching The Dragon Paradox by Curious Archive for examples and insight of all the types of dragons from around the world if that helps.
Lednik wrote on 2024-04-17 13:36:26:
Glacecakes wrote on 2024-04-17 13:31:01:
This thread is going to be locked any second now lol

Genuine question: why do yall want wingless dragons so badly? The whole point of a dragon is a winged lizard. That’s what they are. A dragon without wings is just. A magic lizard.

Dragons are only restricted to winged lizards if you hold to DnD rules. There's a ton of unique mythology out there with things called dragons that are funny little guys that definitely aren't a template winged lizard. Also yknow, Chinese dragons exist and are pretty neat, I think people tend to like those last I checked. The placement of the secondary gene is also something you could have fun with and people were making a lot of fun suggestions beforehand, its something you could get real wild with if you wanted to!

Edit: Pulling from anther media source even dungeon meshi my beloved
Red_Dragon_color.png

Posting again, and being an avid mythology nerd as well, there’s tons of variety of “dragon” like creatures in folklore around the world! From modern western dragons, to the longs/lungs of eastern mythos, the Aztec Quetzalcoatl , the Rainbow serpent of Aboriginal myth, the Indian Naga, and even the French questing beasts are all considered “dragons”. Heck, even the original word origin dragon, “Draco”, meant more of a serpentine creature back in ancient history. That’s why we have so many sea serpents being called dragons. It’s such a big rabbit hole and mess I always get flashbacks of the dragon classification controversy haha. I would totally recommend watching The Dragon Paradox by Curious Archive for examples and insight of all the types of dragons from around the world if that helps.
you’re telling me this shrimp fried this rice???
They're nothing like what I expected from the teaser, however they're growing on me considerably after checking out people's scys over on dragon share. Their tert genes are genuinely goated.

You can make them look like robot aliens, ancient monsters, muppets, or a pretty newt, if you'd like.

I guess that's the benefit of them being "bland", they actually make pretty great blank canvases.
They're nothing like what I expected from the teaser, however they're growing on me considerably after checking out people's scys over on dragon share. Their tert genes are genuinely goated.

You can make them look like robot aliens, ancient monsters, muppets, or a pretty newt, if you'd like.

I guess that's the benefit of them being "bland", they actually make pretty great blank canvases.
[quote name="earthrises" date="2024-04-17 14:02:00" ] other than sharing the same complaints everyone has, what i'm really tired of is pretending that we have to like every single update and that if you're the slightest bit negative about it then you're being too harsh or hateful or something along those lines. there is no improvement without being critical, and being complacent is the worst thing anyone can do for the good of anything, especially something constantly being developed and expanded on like fr. if you like the breed then cool i'm glad for you, but you really don't get to just brush aside people's valid criticisms of it, especially in the context of ancients and the lackluster recent updates. people are being respectful, expressing their opinions on site in the correct way, and for the most part the negative is being kept in negative threads. it's honestly concerning to see the toxic positivity that is being fostered by the community, where if you're the slighest bit disappointed about anything, be it rightful reasons or not, then you're immediately being told to shut up in nicer terms. let the criticism have its space without shutting it down. and yes, the breed is a let down. it gives the impression that staff is afraid to really experiment and push the limit of breeds on site after ancients exist specifically for that. why not get player feedback on design drafts or make polls to ask which kind of trait players want to see next or something along those lines? there are ways to go about it to get something that will be more widely accepted and liked. why not listen to the community? i'm also just... tired of the way multigaze is handled. if it's an engine limitation that really cannot be fixed in any way, alright, fine, but if we all know so well it exists, why shrug and ignore it instead of trying to work around the multigaze? dusthides have some of the worst clipping issues by far between all the ancients, and it baffles me that we're just told to ignore it when mid production something can be done about it art-wise. draw the terts around it, or plan them to work the eyes into them, it's not a completely impossible thing to fix. [/quote] Yes thank you. I'm getting so tired of seeing people come in threads like this and go "whiiine why is everyone so negative and mean and angry" you're allowed to criticize things you like. I play this game everyday and have for YEARS and criticism is the only way things get better. We should be allowed to voice disagreements without being chastised or painted like harassers
earthrises wrote on 2024-04-17 14:02:00:
other than sharing the same complaints everyone has, what i'm really tired of is pretending that we have to like every single update and that if you're the slightest bit negative about it then you're being too harsh or hateful or something along those lines. there is no improvement without being critical, and being complacent is the worst thing anyone can do for the good of anything, especially something constantly being developed and expanded on like fr.

if you like the breed then cool i'm glad for you, but you really don't get to just brush aside people's valid criticisms of it, especially in the context of ancients and the lackluster recent updates. people are being respectful, expressing their opinions on site in the correct way, and for the most part the negative is being kept in negative threads. it's honestly concerning to see the toxic positivity that is being fostered by the community, where if you're the slighest bit disappointed about anything, be it rightful reasons or not, then you're immediately being told to shut up in nicer terms. let the criticism have its space without shutting it down.

and yes, the breed is a let down. it gives the impression that staff is afraid to really experiment and push the limit of breeds on site after ancients exist specifically for that. why not get player feedback on design drafts or make polls to ask which kind of trait players want to see next or something along those lines? there are ways to go about it to get something that will be more widely accepted and liked. why not listen to the community?

i'm also just... tired of the way multigaze is handled. if it's an engine limitation that really cannot be fixed in any way, alright, fine, but if we all know so well it exists, why shrug and ignore it instead of trying to work around the multigaze? dusthides have some of the worst clipping issues by far between all the ancients, and it baffles me that we're just told to ignore it when mid production something can be done about it art-wise. draw the terts around it, or plan them to work the eyes into them, it's not a completely impossible thing to fix.
Yes thank you. I'm getting so tired of seeing people come in threads like this and go "whiiine why is everyone so negative and mean and angry" you're allowed to criticize things you like. I play this game everyday and have for YEARS and criticism is the only way things get better. We should be allowed to voice disagreements without being chastised or painted like harassers
Y'know, it's a little mixed for me. Like, I can make em work the way I want (both in lore and aesthetics), but they wouldn't be my first choice.

Because on one hand, there's definitely some positives. The hatchling / male pose is so dynamic and fun. They're always in the process of twisting and turning with a little grin. Good stuff. The female pose isn't nearly as eye-catching, kinda reminds me of the male Skydancer pose where they're just kinda standing there. A bit boring, but eh, I've always had a tendency to pick one gender pose over another.

And before their release, I promised myself that whatever happens with their lore, I'd find a way to make em fit into my clan's overarching story. The oral history thing might actually fit in with my Dune inspired dragons, we'll just wait and see.

However, I'm kinda stuck in the same position as the initial Aether release. Very few primaries and tert genes actually suited my aesthetic choices, and I'd leave them ungened until I figured out what to do with them. Spores / Topcoat / Antlers are the only genes that really appeal to me at the moment, although I wasn't dealt the best color hand with the 2 dragons that I got (probably affecting my opinion). Like I said, I found scries that make them work, but part of them just feels kinda incomplete somehow. I always find myself needing to put something on their little heads for some reason.

And tbh, I understand why the devs took more of the Undertide route: giving you the base dragon and having you custom build it the way you want with terts. It's a lot faster / easier to release new breeds when you have two teams working on terts and the base dragon, rather than one team working on the base design. I'm aware of the crunch pitfall that they started to fall into, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to alleviate the workflow in this way.

And one more thing I want to bring up: while I can absolutely do the heavy lifting for my Dusthide lore, the official breed page doesn't give me a lot to work with. The oral history part has a lot of possibilities, but the other two traits we got were burrowing and family loyalty.

Which.. yeah, I kinda noticed that burrowing is a really common theme in a lot of dragon breeds. Bogsneaks, Sandsurges, Spirals, Undertides, and Gaolers all have some sort of burrowing stated as a major aspect for their breed. Not saying that it's uninspired (again, I'm aware of the dev's situation), but I do agree with the camp that wanted a more bulky, solid as a boulder dragon for Earth. Might've shaken things up a bit.

And family loyalty: not a direct allusion, but Skydancers have been noted to be very involved parents, and Guardians are known to be protective of objects / hobbies / other dragons.

Here's some other design ideas that I also think would've been cool:

- A long anteater snout to lick up those bugs

- Thicker front digging claws, almost like plated shovels

- Having the little tail nubs move as independent legs

- A thicker, flashy head plate

All in all, I'm happy with what we got, but the past ancients really had something that made em pop, y'know? Abbs have their two heads. Gaolers are buff, shaggy, jailguards. Veilspuns have that tricksy fae aesthetic. And tbh, I kinda lost the color and aesthetic lottery this time around. Although, I did either expect either a bulky rock breed or a cave dwelling burrower from Earth anyway. I'm still glad that others can enjoy the roly-poly aspect of these guys tho.
Y'know, it's a little mixed for me. Like, I can make em work the way I want (both in lore and aesthetics), but they wouldn't be my first choice.

Because on one hand, there's definitely some positives. The hatchling / male pose is so dynamic and fun. They're always in the process of twisting and turning with a little grin. Good stuff. The female pose isn't nearly as eye-catching, kinda reminds me of the male Skydancer pose where they're just kinda standing there. A bit boring, but eh, I've always had a tendency to pick one gender pose over another.

And before their release, I promised myself that whatever happens with their lore, I'd find a way to make em fit into my clan's overarching story. The oral history thing might actually fit in with my Dune inspired dragons, we'll just wait and see.

However, I'm kinda stuck in the same position as the initial Aether release. Very few primaries and tert genes actually suited my aesthetic choices, and I'd leave them ungened until I figured out what to do with them. Spores / Topcoat / Antlers are the only genes that really appeal to me at the moment, although I wasn't dealt the best color hand with the 2 dragons that I got (probably affecting my opinion). Like I said, I found scries that make them work, but part of them just feels kinda incomplete somehow. I always find myself needing to put something on their little heads for some reason.

And tbh, I understand why the devs took more of the Undertide route: giving you the base dragon and having you custom build it the way you want with terts. It's a lot faster / easier to release new breeds when you have two teams working on terts and the base dragon, rather than one team working on the base design. I'm aware of the crunch pitfall that they started to fall into, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to alleviate the workflow in this way.

And one more thing I want to bring up: while I can absolutely do the heavy lifting for my Dusthide lore, the official breed page doesn't give me a lot to work with. The oral history part has a lot of possibilities, but the other two traits we got were burrowing and family loyalty.

Which.. yeah, I kinda noticed that burrowing is a really common theme in a lot of dragon breeds. Bogsneaks, Sandsurges, Spirals, Undertides, and Gaolers all have some sort of burrowing stated as a major aspect for their breed. Not saying that it's uninspired (again, I'm aware of the dev's situation), but I do agree with the camp that wanted a more bulky, solid as a boulder dragon for Earth. Might've shaken things up a bit.

And family loyalty: not a direct allusion, but Skydancers have been noted to be very involved parents, and Guardians are known to be protective of objects / hobbies / other dragons.

Here's some other design ideas that I also think would've been cool:

- A long anteater snout to lick up those bugs

- Thicker front digging claws, almost like plated shovels

- Having the little tail nubs move as independent legs

- A thicker, flashy head plate

All in all, I'm happy with what we got, but the past ancients really had something that made em pop, y'know? Abbs have their two heads. Gaolers are buff, shaggy, jailguards. Veilspuns have that tricksy fae aesthetic. And tbh, I kinda lost the color and aesthetic lottery this time around. Although, I did either expect either a bulky rock breed or a cave dwelling burrower from Earth anyway. I'm still glad that others can enjoy the roly-poly aspect of these guys tho.
Treesixer: Payback on Plague
When I saw the teaser I was hoping that we would finally get a wingless ancient. It makes perfect sense for the earth ancient to not have wings since it's, well, earth.

It just seems like such a missed opportunity to get a breed with a secondary that's not a pair of wings. Imagine if the secondary for Dusthides was a thick shell or Undertides had large fins instead of wings.
When I saw the teaser I was hoping that we would finally get a wingless ancient. It makes perfect sense for the earth ancient to not have wings since it's, well, earth.

It just seems like such a missed opportunity to get a breed with a secondary that's not a pair of wings. Imagine if the secondary for Dusthides was a thick shell or Undertides had large fins instead of wings.
KdSMN2F.png
I like them, but not enough to make a project of them. Hence why I sold my hatchies. However, I can see myself with some in the future. I like a lot of their terts. I do wish they were slightly more bug like, for RE related reasons.

I think overall we should be nicer about them. :3
I like them, but not enough to make a project of them. Hence why I sold my hatchies. However, I can see myself with some in the future. I like a lot of their terts. I do wish they were slightly more bug like, for RE related reasons.

I think overall we should be nicer about them. :3
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
dusted my account just to check them. they look bad. they look like an unfinished YCH an artist would sell. they look like an adopt base you're supposed to slap things on. they have no cohesion, nothing interesting beyond their feet and maybe their tail. The concept is good, but its just so generic dragon it hurts.

They could have gone so many ways, from pangolins to armadillos to isopods and armored geckos, but i've long given up on fr actually having good dragon diversity, especially as ancients are basically quick rushjobs to keep the lights on
dusted my account just to check them. they look bad. they look like an unfinished YCH an artist would sell. they look like an adopt base you're supposed to slap things on. they have no cohesion, nothing interesting beyond their feet and maybe their tail. The concept is good, but its just so generic dragon it hurts.

They could have gone so many ways, from pangolins to armadillos to isopods and armored geckos, but i've long given up on fr actually having good dragon diversity, especially as ancients are basically quick rushjobs to keep the lights on
21059.png Lemmy or Baku, but feel free to make up new nicknames for me.

Any pronouns | Japanese
Ping me when replying, I love to chat with people.
-- kMi3VrI.png
its crazy i was saying "awh i'm kind of sad we already have two bug based ancients i dont want a third as much" but now i really wish we got some kind of big plated centipedes or rollypolys sort of more in line with that wouldve been epic to me ,, we were all speculating all the cool adaptations it had and i wish flight rising's teaser had not been literally the coolest thing about it. a teaser should show one cool aspect but be able to back it up with far cooler aspects of the dragon
its crazy i was saying "awh i'm kind of sad we already have two bug based ancients i dont want a third as much" but now i really wish we got some kind of big plated centipedes or rollypolys sort of more in line with that wouldve been epic to me ,, we were all speculating all the cool adaptations it had and i wish flight rising's teaser had not been literally the coolest thing about it. a teaser should show one cool aspect but be able to back it up with far cooler aspects of the dragon
1bmIQLP.png
CUqoYIR.png
hvZ3oWr.png
OdNEyUV.png
UedbVG7.png
Oh, I've also seen people say that if they didn't have wings, then a lot of genes wouldn't work with them! While true, ancients don't need every gene. Not to mention that Undertides, a legless breed, has genes that do things with the legs! So not having wings really wouldn't affect things too bad, and just serve to make the breed unique.
Oh, I've also seen people say that if they didn't have wings, then a lot of genes wouldn't work with them! While true, ancients don't need every gene. Not to mention that Undertides, a legless breed, has genes that do things with the legs! So not having wings really wouldn't affect things too bad, and just serve to make the breed unique.
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 32 33