Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | so...dusthides exist...
1 2 3 4
its chill to have an opinion that a design isn't good but to say that the staff rushed these guys and imply that they didn't 'think it through' is kinda iffy imo. i dont mean to sound argumentative i just hate seeing people take shots at staff just because they personally didn't like a new breed design lol idk
its chill to have an opinion that a design isn't good but to say that the staff rushed these guys and imply that they didn't 'think it through' is kinda iffy imo. i dont mean to sound argumentative i just hate seeing people take shots at staff just because they personally didn't like a new breed design lol idk
[quote name="5H4D0WDU57" date="2024-04-17 13:08:56" ] Once again people need to remember that ancient breeds are first and foremost a means to release new breeds faster, the possibility of not following the "four limbs 2 wings" rule is just that, a possible and should not be expected. It doesn't matter that they look like modern breeds, because they can't be released as modern anyway. [/quote] They can be released faster because they don't wear apparel. One of the massive things they added[i] to compensate[/i] for that was to break the four-limbs-2-wings rule. With [b]so many other[/b] options open to them for breed design, why in the name of the eleven are they sticking to the same boring rule meant for moderns? That fact that they look like a modern, but are an ancient, only makes it worse. They look simple and easily dressed, like they were designed to wear apparel. Line-breaking terts help, and we got some good ones, but imo, those aren't as important as unique body designs. People wouldn't be so upset if more moderns broke the rule and showed creative designs.
5H4D0WDU57 wrote on 2024-04-17 13:08:56:
Once again people need to remember that ancient breeds are first and foremost a means to release new breeds faster, the possibility of not following the "four limbs 2 wings" rule is just that, a possible and should not be expected.

It doesn't matter that they look like modern breeds, because they can't be released as modern anyway.

They can be released faster because they don't wear apparel. One of the massive things they added to compensate for that was to break the four-limbs-2-wings rule. With so many other options open to them for breed design, why in the name of the eleven are they sticking to the same boring rule meant for moderns? That fact that they look like a modern, but are an ancient, only makes it worse. They look simple and easily dressed, like they were designed to wear apparel.

Line-breaking terts help, and we got some good ones, but imo, those aren't as important as unique body designs. People wouldn't be so upset if more moderns broke the rule and showed creative designs.
nothing will ever be good enough for anyone on this site oooh man
Art Shop
Hatchery

celebi.giftumblr_inline_n2t76ssIwF1r9ywrd.gifshadow.gif
See though...

I just do not enjoy apparel the same way other people do. So for me it really wouldn't matter if they could wear pants or not. They'd still be just as bland to me most of the time. lol
See though...

I just do not enjoy apparel the same way other people do. So for me it really wouldn't matter if they could wear pants or not. They'd still be just as bland to me most of the time. lol
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
[quote name="5H4D0WDU57" date="2024-04-17 13:08:56" ] It doesn't matter that they look like modern breeds, because they can't be released as modern anyway. [/quote] The point is not that they can't. It's that they could have been. These dragons absolutely could have been modern breeds. But now they absolutely cannot be - nor can we ever have a Modern dragon even remotely like it, because if we think the complaining is bad because someone did some construction comparison on the Ancient breed designs, imagine how it would be if they straight up based a Modern dragon on an existing Ancient. I like these guys. But I really wish they were Modern. I would have been pleased to wait for them. I also like the Aberrations, but I know they could never have been Moderns because the staff won't break that rule that Moderns have to follow. So I'm not upset about them.
5H4D0WDU57 wrote on 2024-04-17 13:08:56:
It doesn't matter that they look like modern breeds, because they can't be released as modern anyway.
The point is not that they can't. It's that they could have been.

These dragons absolutely could have been modern breeds. But now they absolutely cannot be - nor can we ever have a Modern dragon even remotely like it, because if we think the complaining is bad because someone did some construction comparison on the Ancient breed designs, imagine how it would be if they straight up based a Modern dragon on an existing Ancient.

I like these guys. But I really wish they were Modern. I would have been pleased to wait for them.

I also like the Aberrations, but I know they could never have been Moderns because the staff won't break that rule that Moderns have to follow. So I'm not upset about them.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="puppymedes" date="2024-04-17 13:48:21" ] [quote name="EWSpirit" date="2024-04-17 13:45:48" ] nothing will ever be good enough for anyone on this site oooh man [/quote] nothing staff ever does is perfect, the very large majority is [i]amazing[/i] but sometimes things warrant differing opinions or even criticism. this is not a bad thing :) [/quote] Well there's nothing wrong with criticisms or different opinions. I think some people do take it to far or don't know how to critique or criticize without being rude, but if no one offered differing opinions then we'd just a yes man echo chamber and that sounds awful. We aren't a hive mind here lol
puppymedes wrote on 2024-04-17 13:48:21:
EWSpirit wrote on 2024-04-17 13:45:48:

nothing staff ever does is perfect, the very large majority is amazing but sometimes things warrant differing opinions or even criticism. this is not a bad thing :)
Well there's nothing wrong with criticisms or different opinions. I think some people do take it to far or don't know how to critique or criticize without being rude, but if no one offered differing opinions then we'd just a yes man echo chamber and that sounds awful. We aren't a hive mind here lol
~*My g1s for sale*~
She/Her
Baby bat goth
Chat with me anything Undertale/Deltarune
My avatar dragon (click)
I wish they had more legs and no wings. It's what I expected from them
I wish they had more legs and no wings. It's what I expected from them
z3ouQq5.gif 1lYv7yK.png
rK7soRR.png
N2y2KFS.png
"A dubious little CREATURE getting up to MISCHIEF. This is No Good. The Beast is demonic in nature. Very Icky, no good."
Why is there an assumption that they can't release a similar breed as a modern? The very first ancient breed is literally based on a modern, they are the precursors to tundras in lore and their designs are pretty similar (given the age of one). The joke about obbies being tundra 3.0 was because they specifically looked similar to both gaolers and tundras being big fluffy maned mammalian-esque breeds....

But we don't have another breed that's really all that similar to these guys. So the assumption that oh no now we can NEVER get a modern like them is just... a little silly. Clearly the design team doesn't mind doing similar-ish designs or else we wouldn't be having all this talk about the similarities of the current designs in the first place.
Why is there an assumption that they can't release a similar breed as a modern? The very first ancient breed is literally based on a modern, they are the precursors to tundras in lore and their designs are pretty similar (given the age of one). The joke about obbies being tundra 3.0 was because they specifically looked similar to both gaolers and tundras being big fluffy maned mammalian-esque breeds....

But we don't have another breed that's really all that similar to these guys. So the assumption that oh no now we can NEVER get a modern like them is just... a little silly. Clearly the design team doesn't mind doing similar-ish designs or else we wouldn't be having all this talk about the similarities of the current designs in the first place.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
-blinks- These guys are vastly different in body time. They're bulkier, squat legs, thick wings, bulbous tail. It's far from straight noodle. It just goes t show that everyone is going to see things differently. Where I see a distinct difference from the variety of very snake-like dragons we've had in abundance lately, others aren't necessarily going to see what I see. Where I love the creativity in design here, another person is going to see similarities to other dragon breeds that I just don't see. But it's definitely a head scratcher for me to look at something I see as unique and creative and then see others think it's exactly like what we already have. [emoji=snapper confused size=1] Huh. To each their own.
-blinks- These guys are vastly different in body time. They're bulkier, squat legs, thick wings, bulbous tail. It's far from straight noodle. It just goes t show that everyone is going to see things differently. Where I see a distinct difference from the variety of very snake-like dragons we've had in abundance lately, others aren't necessarily going to see what I see. Where I love the creativity in design here, another person is going to see similarities to other dragon breeds that I just don't see. But it's definitely a head scratcher for me to look at something I see as unique and creative and then see others think it's exactly like what we already have. Huh. To each their own.

OVmZor1.png
Personally, I think Dusthides do deviate quite a bit from other breed designs, as their bodies have bulkier or more stout proportions compared to all the slimmer breeds (i.e. skydancers, abberations, imperials, undertides, auraboas...etc.).

At the end of the day, all of the breeds still need to conform to the definition of "dragon" in at least some ways; and most depictions of dragons have sleek bodies with wings and reptilian heads. I think staff actually did a pretty good job of including some genuinely unique elements in the Dusthide design while still making sure they still fit the general idea of what a dragon is.

(Sorry, but we are probably not going to get a pot-belly breed anytime soon, considering how unpopular snappers are)

Personally, I think Dusthides do deviate quite a bit from other breed designs, as their bodies have bulkier or more stout proportions compared to all the slimmer breeds (i.e. skydancers, abberations, imperials, undertides, auraboas...etc.).

At the end of the day, all of the breeds still need to conform to the definition of "dragon" in at least some ways; and most depictions of dragons have sleek bodies with wings and reptilian heads. I think staff actually did a pretty good job of including some genuinely unique elements in the Dusthide design while still making sure they still fit the general idea of what a dragon is.

(Sorry, but we are probably not going to get a pot-belly breed anytime soon, considering how unpopular snappers are)

WIP
1 2 3 4