Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Genetic rat adopt shop advice!
Hihi! I’m in the midst of creating adopts regarding rats and making an interactive rattery type thread! :D
Shop is up but I’m still looking for input to make it more customer friendly! I know there’s a lot to read, but I’m terrified of leaving anything out and confusing my guests. c,:
Any feedback or suggestions, especially on making it less wordy, would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your time!
Thread here
More adopts and bases will be added to the shop later today or tomorrow. :)
Hihi! I’m in the midst of creating adopts regarding rats and making an interactive rattery type thread! :D
Shop is up but I’m still looking for input to make it more customer friendly! I know there’s a lot to read, but I’m terrified of leaving anything out and confusing my guests. c,:
Any feedback or suggestions, especially on making it less wordy, would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your time!
Thread here
More adopts and bases will be added to the shop later today or tomorrow. :)
@Svaroja First thing we noticed was the tiny text, there's so much to read and it's so small that it was tempting to leave. And if you turn off text style you see all the random symbols you used for decoration and spacing which doesn't make it much easier to read.

You don't have any images of your adopts until the fourth post and there's no completed example until the end. Buyers want to know what they're buying :D Have more pictures of the adopts, show how amazing they are so that people want them.
Pretty sure we read through everything but it doesn't look like you mention how much they cost or how to buy one?
And it might have been something we missed or because we don't know anything about rat genetics but we don't know what the numbers mean next to the registered dragons. Or what registering does since one of the rules says they can be unregistered :D

Your posts might be nicer in a different order. When you first get to the thread you're immediately faced with a long post about genetics with no context for how this fits into buying a rat version of a dragon or why it's worth reading.
It might be useful to explain what you're offering first, prices, examples, what you can do with your adopt and the basic process of rattifying a dragon and put the detailed genetic stuff at the end for the users that want to go more in-depth with their adoptables.

It's a cool idea, good luck with it! :D
@Svaroja First thing we noticed was the tiny text, there's so much to read and it's so small that it was tempting to leave. And if you turn off text style you see all the random symbols you used for decoration and spacing which doesn't make it much easier to read.

You don't have any images of your adopts until the fourth post and there's no completed example until the end. Buyers want to know what they're buying :D Have more pictures of the adopts, show how amazing they are so that people want them.
Pretty sure we read through everything but it doesn't look like you mention how much they cost or how to buy one?
And it might have been something we missed or because we don't know anything about rat genetics but we don't know what the numbers mean next to the registered dragons. Or what registering does since one of the rules says they can be unregistered :D

Your posts might be nicer in a different order. When you first get to the thread you're immediately faced with a long post about genetics with no context for how this fits into buying a rat version of a dragon or why it's worth reading.
It might be useful to explain what you're offering first, prices, examples, what you can do with your adopt and the basic process of rattifying a dragon and put the detailed genetic stuff at the end for the users that want to go more in-depth with their adoptables.

It's a cool idea, good luck with it! :D
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
@lonin Ah thank you so much for your input!!

If you don’t mind me asking for further advice, what is the best order of posts? - I’m sorry, I totally glossed over the order you just said at the bottom. Silly me :,)
The whole genetic thing is an important part of my thread, and unfortunately genes can get quite complex and I wanted to avoid confusing anyone who isn’t sure how it works. :,)
Not everything is completed yet, so that’s why there’s some info gaps! For the missing info you mentioned, I do plan to add what specifically you can/can’t do with your adopts when they’re un/registered! Prices aren’t posted yet since it’s still incomplete, and I’ll make a note in the registry that the numbers are the registration numbers! :D

I really like the clean formatted look, but perhaps I should change it. If I wanted to keep it, should I make everything bigger and/or more spaced out? I’m thinking that if I move the guide down (important for what size, ear set, etc. your adopt will have, which is why I thought it should go at the top ^^; ), perhaps I should add an extra form that makes it friendlier for anyone who’s not interested in that part?
Thank you again for your advice! Hopefully I can get the correct order figured out. :)
@lonin Ah thank you so much for your input!!

If you don’t mind me asking for further advice, what is the best order of posts? - I’m sorry, I totally glossed over the order you just said at the bottom. Silly me :,)
The whole genetic thing is an important part of my thread, and unfortunately genes can get quite complex and I wanted to avoid confusing anyone who isn’t sure how it works. :,)
Not everything is completed yet, so that’s why there’s some info gaps! For the missing info you mentioned, I do plan to add what specifically you can/can’t do with your adopts when they’re un/registered! Prices aren’t posted yet since it’s still incomplete, and I’ll make a note in the registry that the numbers are the registration numbers! :D

I really like the clean formatted look, but perhaps I should change it. If I wanted to keep it, should I make everything bigger and/or more spaced out? I’m thinking that if I move the guide down (important for what size, ear set, etc. your adopt will have, which is why I thought it should go at the top ^^; ), perhaps I should add an extra form that makes it friendlier for anyone who’s not interested in that part?
Thank you again for your advice! Hopefully I can get the correct order figured out. :)
Hup!
Hup!
(This might come off a bit strong, apologies in advance for that- it's meant in the spirit of advice, not to be mean-spirited or anything) I say this as somebody who's fairly verbose- you've got a LOT of text there. I get that you need at least some of it to explain how it works, your adopt's complex and all, but if you could [b]cut it down to a couple of sentences per bullet-point[/b] (in the introduction areas, at least) that'd be very helpful I think. My eyes kind of glazed over halfway through the second post... had to go back and re-read it. If you don't think it's possible to simplify further, at least bold the most important bits so they're easy to spot? This is especially true for things like terms and pricing... people on this site don't read, in general. Speaking of- [b]DO NOT HIDE YOUR PRICING[/b]. Right now, it's buried under images in super duper tiny font, and is very easy to look over. This is [i]the most important info[/i] for any adopt shop after what the adopts look like (also, your prices seem kinda low for the quality you're offering, but whatever I suppose?). Gotta know how much to save up if I want one, yeah? Also, when offering art of any kind- [b]have [i]some[/i] form of example in your very first post[/b]. Gotta show the buyer what they're getting! More in-depth examples can go later, but you have to have [i]something[/i]. Going on from this- I'd also [b]stick your terms in the first post[/b], and I'd [b]have a clearer example of how a dragon might be rattified[/b]. It kind of looks like that doesn't do anything at the moment, but that'd defeat the point of offering these in the first place, so I'm a bit baffled. (As far as post order goes- I'd go FAQ/terms, with an example of your art as a sidebar, then show examples with pricing- what do you consider simple/complex apparel, for ex.-, then talk about how rattification works (please show an example here!), breeding/adopting, and the expanded guide. I would put events all the way at the end, but I'd also make sure the thread had a post when they were starting/stopping) I hope this is at all helpful. Best of luck with your adopts, from what I can tell they're really cute [emoji=imperial happy size=1]
(This might come off a bit strong, apologies in advance for that- it's meant in the spirit of advice, not to be mean-spirited or anything)

I say this as somebody who's fairly verbose- you've got a LOT of text there. I get that you need at least some of it to explain how it works, your adopt's complex and all, but if you could cut it down to a couple of sentences per bullet-point (in the introduction areas, at least) that'd be very helpful I think. My eyes kind of glazed over halfway through the second post... had to go back and re-read it. If you don't think it's possible to simplify further, at least bold the most important bits so they're easy to spot? This is especially true for things like terms and pricing... people on this site don't read, in general. Speaking of-

DO NOT HIDE YOUR PRICING. Right now, it's buried under images in super duper tiny font, and is very easy to look over. This is the most important info for any adopt shop after what the adopts look like (also, your prices seem kinda low for the quality you're offering, but whatever I suppose?). Gotta know how much to save up if I want one, yeah?

Also, when offering art of any kind- have some form of example in your very first post. Gotta show the buyer what they're getting! More in-depth examples can go later, but you have to have something.

Going on from this- I'd also stick your terms in the first post, and I'd have a clearer example of how a dragon might be rattified. It kind of looks like that doesn't do anything at the moment, but that'd defeat the point of offering these in the first place, so I'm a bit baffled.

(As far as post order goes- I'd go FAQ/terms, with an example of your art as a sidebar, then show examples with pricing- what do you consider simple/complex apparel, for ex.-, then talk about how rattification works (please show an example here!), breeding/adopting, and the expanded guide. I would put events all the way at the end, but I'd also make sure the thread had a post when they were starting/stopping)

I hope this is at all helpful. Best of luck with your adopts, from what I can tell they're really cute
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

@svaroja just as a heads up; bumping posts is not allowed outside of sales forums. some advice: - the terms of use should not be buried so far into the thread. they're important, and by the time I get to them I'm already exhausted from reading. - the smaller text sections are kinda hard to read since you're not using FR's default font and the font you're using gets a bit scratchy at smaller text sizes, at least on my small laptop screen. I recommend you stick to FR's default font for legibility's sake. you have a lot of information, and legibility takes priority over aesthetic. of course you can still use varying text sizes. - your thread looks busy, mostly due to the overuse of symbols and spacing for lists. this has the additional problem of not being screenreader friendly. you can fix this by using List BBCode for the lists: [code][LIST] [*]info point one [*]point two [*]point three [/LIST][/code] [LIST] [*]info point one [*]point two [*]point three [/LIST] - using headers and sidebars will make your thread look neater. you can find free-to-use resources in the Guides and Creative Corner forums, or you can make your own assets. in my example below I use free resources from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3230643]St0rmy's Thread[/url] and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3269012/]Ezevic's Thread[/url] because I like how they look, but simpler dividers will probably look better for your thread. here's an example of how a fancy but still fairly simple layout might look: [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/KBxXfCc.png[/img][size=6]This is a text header[/size][img]https://i.imgur.com/nJuluBQ.png[/img][/center] you can put explanations of what the following list is about here. for example, I'm announcing here that the next section shows how columns code interacts with image code and list code. to see how I made everything work, check the code block below! now on to the pretty box. [img]https://imgur.com/gjgNqZ5.png[/img] [columns][img]https://imgur.com/eO1nNpb.png[/img][nextcol][LIST] [*]List code still works in columns [*]text in columns automatically gets smaller [*]but using size tags still works [*][size=4]so I made this line larger[/size] [*]you will need to redo size tags for each line though [*]columns take care of alignment all by themselves [*]text alignment can't be changed in columns [*]I personally don't think that matters [*]it still looks neat [*]columns probably won't reach the far right of the post unless you have longer text in between, but this won't be a problem with the information you have in your thread! I'm leaving this line out of the following code block because code blocks don't play nice with long lines of text. [/LIST][nextcol][img]https://imgur.com/UzjTH2X.png[/img][/columns] (you could put another horizontal divider here if you have more text below the list) code block with long lines of text and image links removed: [code][center][img]image[/img][size=6]text[/size][img]image[/img][/center] text goes here [img]horizontal divider image[/img] [columns][img]vertical divider image[/img][nextcol][LIST] [*]List code still works in columns [*]text in columns automatically gets smaller [*]but using size tags still works [*][size=4]so I made this line larger[/size] [*]you will need to redo size tags for each line though [*]columns take care of alignment all by themselves [*]text alignment can't be changed in columns [*]I personally don't think that matters [*]it still looks neat [*](I omitted the long line of text here) [/LIST][nextcol][img]vertical divider image[/img][/columns][/code] you could also go without vertical dividers if you prefer, and you won't need the columns code if you do that, but I personally like the look of threads with vertical dividers around lists of information. I think horizontal dividers are a must-have, though, since you have so much text and having horizontal dividers above (and maybe below) the lists will give the eyes a break and make everything easier to read.
@svaroja
just as a heads up; bumping posts is not allowed outside of sales forums.

some advice:

- the terms of use should not be buried so far into the thread. they're important, and by the time I get to them I'm already exhausted from reading.
- the smaller text sections are kinda hard to read since you're not using FR's default font and the font you're using gets a bit scratchy at smaller text sizes, at least on my small laptop screen. I recommend you stick to FR's default font for legibility's sake. you have a lot of information, and legibility takes priority over aesthetic. of course you can still use varying text sizes.
- your thread looks busy, mostly due to the overuse of symbols and spacing for lists. this has the additional problem of not being screenreader friendly. you can fix this by using List BBCode for the lists:
Code:
[LIST] [*]info point one [*]point two [*]point three [/LIST]
  • info point one
  • point two
  • point three
- using headers and sidebars will make your thread look neater. you can find free-to-use resources in the Guides and Creative Corner forums, or you can make your own assets. in my example below I use free resources from St0rmy's Thread and Ezevic's Thread because I like how they look, but simpler dividers will probably look better for your thread. here's an example of how a fancy but still fairly simple layout might look:
KBxXfCc.pngThis is a text headernJuluBQ.png
you can put explanations of what the following list is about here. for example, I'm announcing here that the next section shows how columns code interacts with image code and list code. to see how I made everything work, check the code block below! now on to the pretty box.
gjgNqZ5.png
eO1nNpb.png
  • List code still works in columns
  • text in columns automatically gets smaller
  • but using size tags still works
  • so I made this line larger
  • you will need to redo size tags for each line though
  • columns take care of alignment all by themselves
  • text alignment can't be changed in columns
  • I personally don't think that matters
  • it still looks neat
  • columns probably won't reach the far right of the post unless you have longer text in between, but this won't be a problem with the information you have in your thread! I'm leaving this line out of the following code block because code blocks don't play nice with long lines of text.
UzjTH2X.png
(you could put another horizontal divider here if you have more text below the list)

code block with long lines of text and image links removed:
Code:
[center][img]image[/img][size=6]text[/size][img]image[/img][/center] text goes here [img]horizontal divider image[/img] [columns][img]vertical divider image[/img][nextcol][LIST] [*]List code still works in columns [*]text in columns automatically gets smaller [*]but using size tags still works [*][size=4]so I made this line larger[/size] [*]you will need to redo size tags for each line though [*]columns take care of alignment all by themselves [*]text alignment can't be changed in columns [*]I personally don't think that matters [*]it still looks neat [*](I omitted the long line of text here) [/LIST][nextcol][img]vertical divider image[/img][/columns]

you could also go without vertical dividers if you prefer, and you won't need the columns code if you do that, but I personally like the look of threads with vertical dividers around lists of information.
I think horizontal dividers are a must-have, though, since you have so much text and having horizontal dividers above (and maybe below) the lists will give the eyes a break and make everything easier to read.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
@Renaiwom

Oh my gosh, this was all very helpful! Thank you so much! No worries about tone, I didn’t think it was harsh or anything at all. :) Even then, I’m looking for feedback or criticisms to make it better, regardless of the nature! I’ll do my best to trim everything down and rearrange the posts! I really appreciate the different POVs!

I’m super grateful and flattered you find my adopts cute and of fair quality! I’m just terrible at pricing, I have no idea what adopts like mine typically go for. I thought they wouldn’t be as desirable cause they’re flat colored (just for now tho), are smaller, and not as complex looking as the other adopts I’ve seen around, when I was looking around for information references. :<

Just for clarification’s sake, intro (adopt examples columned?), then terms, then FAQ (I’m curious why, as I always thought it did best near the bottom!), adoption/creation, breeding, events, then guides? I want my shop to feel fun and interactive; but in hindsight, it would likely do better chopping out all of the complex parts and putting them into the guide in sections for those who are more enticed by those bits, right? I have plans to make it very in-depth with lineages, competitions, earned benefits from awards (like getting better breedings from earning an achievement) or their rats earning badges and increasing their and their offspring’s worth… but maybe it’s too ambitious? I’m looking for that sweet spot demographic that’s got the same love and interest for these things ^^;

Thank you again and I’ll be working on those changes now! I’m sorry for the long response, and hopefully you don’t mind offering a little more advice! :D
@Renaiwom

Oh my gosh, this was all very helpful! Thank you so much! No worries about tone, I didn’t think it was harsh or anything at all. :) Even then, I’m looking for feedback or criticisms to make it better, regardless of the nature! I’ll do my best to trim everything down and rearrange the posts! I really appreciate the different POVs!

I’m super grateful and flattered you find my adopts cute and of fair quality! I’m just terrible at pricing, I have no idea what adopts like mine typically go for. I thought they wouldn’t be as desirable cause they’re flat colored (just for now tho), are smaller, and not as complex looking as the other adopts I’ve seen around, when I was looking around for information references. :<

Just for clarification’s sake, intro (adopt examples columned?), then terms, then FAQ (I’m curious why, as I always thought it did best near the bottom!), adoption/creation, breeding, events, then guides? I want my shop to feel fun and interactive; but in hindsight, it would likely do better chopping out all of the complex parts and putting them into the guide in sections for those who are more enticed by those bits, right? I have plans to make it very in-depth with lineages, competitions, earned benefits from awards (like getting better breedings from earning an achievement) or their rats earning badges and increasing their and their offspring’s worth… but maybe it’s too ambitious? I’m looking for that sweet spot demographic that’s got the same love and interest for these things ^^;

Thank you again and I’ll be working on those changes now! I’m sorry for the long response, and hopefully you don’t mind offering a little more advice! :D
@LouckyKoneko

Ahh thank you! I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware of that!

This list looks so much nicer, I appreciate you pointing that one out! I must’ve missed it when I was looking at bbcode guides. c,: If I tried to column an adopt example next to a list, will all of the text stay in the same alignment, since my adopts are kinda small? And thank you for the links to some resources! I’ll check them out!!

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have any recommendations how and where I could put all of the in-depth info without tiring out my guests who aren’t ready or just want a rat adopt without all the extras? My adopts are the product of an ambitious project :D
@LouckyKoneko

Ahh thank you! I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware of that!

This list looks so much nicer, I appreciate you pointing that one out! I must’ve missed it when I was looking at bbcode guides. c,: If I tried to column an adopt example next to a list, will all of the text stay in the same alignment, since my adopts are kinda small? And thank you for the links to some resources! I’ll check them out!!

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have any recommendations how and where I could put all of the in-depth info without tiring out my guests who aren’t ready or just want a rat adopt without all the extras? My adopts are the product of an ambitious project :D
@svaroja everything in one column will stay in that column, the next column will be next to it no matter how long it is in comparison. it's easier to show this in an example, so here's an example using St0rmy's rats again: [columns][img]https://i.imgur.com/vHYYhna.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/xmcbGxZ.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/A8H1XxD.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/yIF5Jhz.png[/img][nextcol][LIST] [*][size=4]albino rat[/size] aww, it's cute! [*][size=4]black rat[/size] so sweet! [*][size=4]grey rat[/size] a friend! [*][size=4]cream rat[/size] very cuddly! [*]now on to important information [*]two adjacent columns will always line up in the middle, so this list will go above and below the images and my cute rat commentary won't line up with the images I'm talking about. [*]this is something to keep in mind if you want to align your adopts next to a block of text [/LIST][/columns] you can find a whole bunch of free resources in this thread: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2167344/1 and if you don't like anything that's already been made, you can always make your own dividers. less is more when it comes to designing dividers, you don't want the dividers to take attention away from the adopts, so keep them simple. here's a guide to help you figure out how wide to make horizontal dividers if you want to design your own: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1490280 I think the most important information should go at the top. the first post should have your intro, links to later posts, terms of service (with some examples to the side). second post is for FAQ and pricing (with some examples to the side). the third post should list available premade and surrendered adopts and how to purchase a premade adopt. the fourth post should be about rattifying a dragon. this is basically "rules - prices - basic adopts - custom adopts" and I think that's the best order for adopt threads. after that the order gets a little less important, but to stay organized, I think the best way to list everything is to put information about surrendering adopts in the fifth post, the 'pairing' thing in the sixth post, and the guide/additional genetics information in the seventh post.
@svaroja

everything in one column will stay in that column, the next column will be next to it no matter how long it is in comparison. it's easier to show this in an example, so here's an example using St0rmy's rats again:
vHYYhna.png
xmcbGxZ.png
A8H1XxD.png
yIF5Jhz.png
  • albino rat
    aww, it's cute!
  • black rat
    so sweet!
  • grey rat
    a friend!
  • cream rat
    very cuddly!
  • now on to important information
  • two adjacent columns will always line up in the middle, so this list will go above and below the images and my cute rat commentary won't line up with the images I'm talking about.
  • this is something to keep in mind if you want to align your adopts next to a block of text

you can find a whole bunch of free resources in this thread: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2167344/1
and if you don't like anything that's already been made, you can always make your own dividers. less is more when it comes to designing dividers, you don't want the dividers to take attention away from the adopts, so keep them simple.
here's a guide to help you figure out how wide to make horizontal dividers if you want to design your own: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1490280

I think the most important information should go at the top. the first post should have your intro, links to later posts, terms of service (with some examples to the side). second post is for FAQ and pricing (with some examples to the side). the third post should list available premade and surrendered adopts and how to purchase a premade adopt. the fourth post should be about rattifying a dragon. this is basically "rules - prices - basic adopts - custom adopts" and I think that's the best order for adopt threads. after that the order gets a little less important, but to stay organized, I think the best way to list everything is to put information about surrendering adopts in the fifth post, the 'pairing' thing in the sixth post, and the guide/additional genetics information in the seventh post.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
@Svaroja I lumped Terms and FAQ together because in my shops they tend to be extensions of each other. You're absolutely right that FAQ on its own could go lower (for you, it might even be worth having an "just here for the pretty art" FAQ vs. one for the breeding/awards simulation?

(Which, color me intrigued, but also the simulation aspects seem a bit complicated for me to get involved in, personally)

[Editing to add]: You honestly could also consider having some of this info offsite in a Google Doc or something, too- but I'm not super familiar with art roleplaying games and what's considered standard for them, and that's kinda what the mini-petsite you've been cooking sounds like.
@Svaroja I lumped Terms and FAQ together because in my shops they tend to be extensions of each other. You're absolutely right that FAQ on its own could go lower (for you, it might even be worth having an "just here for the pretty art" FAQ vs. one for the breeding/awards simulation?

(Which, color me intrigued, but also the simulation aspects seem a bit complicated for me to get involved in, personally)

[Editing to add]: You honestly could also consider having some of this info offsite in a Google Doc or something, too- but I'm not super familiar with art roleplaying games and what's considered standard for them, and that's kinda what the mini-petsite you've been cooking sounds like.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.