Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | remove pursuit: Breed a pair of dragons
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
[quote name="JLinaria" date="2024-03-24 18:58:33" ] Please do not compare your "inability" to complete pursuits for site features that you [b]choose not to interact with[/b], to other player's actual inability to complete pursuits for site features that they [b]do interact with as much as they possibly can[/b].[/quote] Very much this! I will never understand people not getting the difference between not being able to complete tasks being aggravating and not wanting to do things. [quote name="JLinaria" date="2024-03-24 18:58:33" ] @Bantymom You are a perfect example of why this particular pursuit is bad for the game, as I understand your post you felt anxiety thanks to this pursuit and decided to complete change the way you interact with the breeding feature, just to make sure you could always complete it any day it might come up. You should not have had to feel like you needed to do that(...) Fact is, the "Breed a pair of dragons" daily pursuit is the ONLY pursuit in the game that players can, as a result of regular gameplay, be unable to complete unless they're willing to use a premium currency item. That is bad design, plain and simple. [/quote] Perfectly said, this is exactly how I think about this as well. The pursuits should be possible to complete, no matter the play-style. As it is, it disadvantages active site-feature usage and affects players negatively.
JLinaria wrote on 2024-03-24 18:58:33:
Please do not compare your "inability" to complete pursuits for site features that you choose not to interact with, to other player's actual inability to complete pursuits for site features that they do interact with as much as they possibly can.

Very much this! I will never understand people not getting the difference between not being able to complete tasks being aggravating and not wanting to do things.

JLinaria wrote on 2024-03-24 18:58:33:
@Bantymom
You are a perfect example of why this particular pursuit is bad for the game, as I understand your post you felt anxiety thanks to this pursuit and decided to complete change the way you interact with the breeding feature, just to make sure you could always complete it any day it might come up.

You should not have had to feel like you needed to do that(...)

Fact is, the "Breed a pair of dragons" daily pursuit is the ONLY pursuit in the game that players can, as a result of regular gameplay, be unable to complete unless they're willing to use a premium currency item.
That is bad design, plain and simple.

Perfectly said, this is exactly how I think about this as well. The pursuits should be possible to complete, no matter the play-style. As it is, it disadvantages active site-feature usage and affects players negatively.
FR+9h, Germany, she/her
(if you saw my big other reply i'd prefer if you didn't reference/quote it since i deleted it)

removing pursuits rather than altering them means no one benefits - we can change them to be more accessible so that more people can participate.

instead of having the pursuit removed, it needs to be switched out to "incubate a nest" - that is the simplest solution to make everyone happy
  • if you already have nests, you're good.
  • if you put a nest on, you're good.
and if for some reason this somehow STILL doesn't work for you, then at that point you gotta learn to skip pursuits. because we cannot cater to EVERY single play style - like the people that don't breed their dragons, or the people that only hatch bought eggs.
(if you saw my big other reply i'd prefer if you didn't reference/quote it since i deleted it)

removing pursuits rather than altering them means no one benefits - we can change them to be more accessible so that more people can participate.

instead of having the pursuit removed, it needs to be switched out to "incubate a nest" - that is the simplest solution to make everyone happy
  • if you already have nests, you're good.
  • if you put a nest on, you're good.
and if for some reason this somehow STILL doesn't work for you, then at that point you gotta learn to skip pursuits. because we cannot cater to EVERY single play style - like the people that don't breed their dragons, or the people that only hatch bought eggs.
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2024-03-25 04:00:14" ] removing pursuits rather than altering them means no one benefits - we can change them to be more accessible so that more people can participate. [/quote] Removing a pursuit from the pool of possible daily pursuits won't change the amount of daily pursuits that players get, so there's no real downside in that respect. If this pursuit was removed people would have no way to know when they would have randomly gotten it anyway, but anyone who would have been unable to complete the breeding one will benefit from getting a different pursuit that they can complete. "Incubate a Nest" is already a daily so changing the daily breeding pursuit into that would just make a duplicate, I can't really think of another breeding-related type of pursuit that would work for a daily, but I wonder if that's actually important? What difference would it make if the pursuit was changed to something unrelated to breeding, like using some gathering turns? That'd basically be free for everyone
hungryhobbits wrote on 2024-03-25 04:00:14:

Removing a pursuit from the pool of possible daily pursuits won't change the amount of daily pursuits that players get, so there's no real downside in that respect.
If this pursuit was removed people would have no way to know when they would have randomly gotten it anyway, but anyone who would have been unable to complete the breeding one will benefit from getting a different pursuit that they can complete.

"Incubate a Nest" is already a daily so changing the daily breeding pursuit into that would just make a duplicate, I can't really think of another breeding-related type of pursuit that would work for a daily, but I wonder if that's actually important?
What difference would it make if the pursuit was changed to something unrelated to breeding, like using some gathering turns?

That'd basically be free for everyone
I get both sides of the argument but, overall, I support the suggested option of making the pursuit into "breed a pair of dragons or incubate a nest". If we want to keep the current pursuit as-is, then another alternative would be to move it to the roster of weekly pursuits since you can absolutely complete the current one within a week of play with a couple days to spare in the event you miss an incubation for an already active nest to free up the slot/s needed for the pursuit.

It's not particularly fair to make a daily pursuit something that can be impossible to complete simply because you're playing the game normally. Had this been a weekly pursuit, I would say that the issue is on you because you do have more than enough time to free up pre-existing nest space. Leaving a single nest open solely to do dailies may be an option, but what happens if you get this pursuit multiple days in a row? For something that is supposed to be promoting basic gameplay on a daily basis, this seems rather counter-intuitive since you can't feasibly breed dragons every day with the nesting site limits. You can, however, feasibly incubate a nest every day or breed a pair of dragons every week.

In every other game I play, the dailies are something you can accomplish on a daily basis without interrupting your normal gameplay. Even if the daily is something you normally have to go out of your way for, you're not locked from anything except your own motivation to complete the tasks given. There's no active change you need to make to your own gameplay to accomplish a daily aside from maybe doing a task you might otherwise ignore. For instance, this would be akin to bonding with a familiar. Even if you don't interact with familiars normally, you can still accomplish this without issue. Don't have any familiars? There are tons of dirt cheap ones in the AH to get. Don't have the treasure? Play a game you enjoy for a minute. You don't even need to play G&G to accomplish that bonding task. Compare to this pursuit and you have to change the way you play (even if it is a mostly minor change at baseline, major at worst if you want to ensure you have spots for each day) if you want to accomplish it should it appear. All for a "daily". It's the only daily that requires this if you're an active breeder.

Sure, you don't need to complete any pursuits of any kind. That's valid but, again, I must stress that this is supposed to be a daily thing. If you leave all of your nests open and get this five days in a row (and that's assuming you can; I assume there's no safeguard for that), you will fill up all of your nest slots. Should you have the abysmal luck of getting this a sixth day, you can't complete the pursuit without the use of gems (which is not something that should be promoted as normal daily gameplay). While the likelihood of this happening is extremely slim, the point of me even mentioning this is that you can't 100% safeguard yourself so that you're able to complete this pursuit. If you can only get this pursuit every other day, the problem still remains. You have to interrupt your gameplay in some way just to complete something that is supposed to be a daily. Skipping a daily pursuit for playing the game actively should not be necessary.

Point is that - and, yes, I am a broken record here - this is a daily pursuit. If you can't complete a daily because you're playing the game, there's a problem with that pursuit. Not the way you play the game. Daily pursuits are daily because they are meant to be done on a daily basis. You can't do this on a daily basis.
I get both sides of the argument but, overall, I support the suggested option of making the pursuit into "breed a pair of dragons or incubate a nest". If we want to keep the current pursuit as-is, then another alternative would be to move it to the roster of weekly pursuits since you can absolutely complete the current one within a week of play with a couple days to spare in the event you miss an incubation for an already active nest to free up the slot/s needed for the pursuit.

It's not particularly fair to make a daily pursuit something that can be impossible to complete simply because you're playing the game normally. Had this been a weekly pursuit, I would say that the issue is on you because you do have more than enough time to free up pre-existing nest space. Leaving a single nest open solely to do dailies may be an option, but what happens if you get this pursuit multiple days in a row? For something that is supposed to be promoting basic gameplay on a daily basis, this seems rather counter-intuitive since you can't feasibly breed dragons every day with the nesting site limits. You can, however, feasibly incubate a nest every day or breed a pair of dragons every week.

In every other game I play, the dailies are something you can accomplish on a daily basis without interrupting your normal gameplay. Even if the daily is something you normally have to go out of your way for, you're not locked from anything except your own motivation to complete the tasks given. There's no active change you need to make to your own gameplay to accomplish a daily aside from maybe doing a task you might otherwise ignore. For instance, this would be akin to bonding with a familiar. Even if you don't interact with familiars normally, you can still accomplish this without issue. Don't have any familiars? There are tons of dirt cheap ones in the AH to get. Don't have the treasure? Play a game you enjoy for a minute. You don't even need to play G&G to accomplish that bonding task. Compare to this pursuit and you have to change the way you play (even if it is a mostly minor change at baseline, major at worst if you want to ensure you have spots for each day) if you want to accomplish it should it appear. All for a "daily". It's the only daily that requires this if you're an active breeder.

Sure, you don't need to complete any pursuits of any kind. That's valid but, again, I must stress that this is supposed to be a daily thing. If you leave all of your nests open and get this five days in a row (and that's assuming you can; I assume there's no safeguard for that), you will fill up all of your nest slots. Should you have the abysmal luck of getting this a sixth day, you can't complete the pursuit without the use of gems (which is not something that should be promoted as normal daily gameplay). While the likelihood of this happening is extremely slim, the point of me even mentioning this is that you can't 100% safeguard yourself so that you're able to complete this pursuit. If you can only get this pursuit every other day, the problem still remains. You have to interrupt your gameplay in some way just to complete something that is supposed to be a daily. Skipping a daily pursuit for playing the game actively should not be necessary.

Point is that - and, yes, I am a broken record here - this is a daily pursuit. If you can't complete a daily because you're playing the game, there's a problem with that pursuit. Not the way you play the game. Daily pursuits are daily because they are meant to be done on a daily basis. You can't do this on a daily basis.
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2024-03-25 04:00:14" ] removing pursuits rather than altering them means no one benefits - we can change them to be more accessible so that more people can participate. [/quote] JLinaria already answered well here, I just want to add that the breed a pair of dragons pursuit is a possible task for weekly and monthly pursuits as well and we only ask for this to be removed from the dailies. So there isn't a call to remove a pursuit altogether, just that it should always be possible to complete and this means not having this one in the dailies. No one asked to not have it at all anywhere.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2024-03-25 04:00:14:

JLinaria already answered well here, I just want to add that the breed a pair of dragons pursuit is a possible task for weekly and monthly pursuits as well and we only ask for this to be removed from the dailies. So there isn't a call to remove a pursuit altogether, just that it should always be possible to complete and this means not having this one in the dailies. No one asked to not have it at all anywhere.
FR+9h, Germany, she/her
to whomever said merging it with incubating a nest, i agree. i encountered this scenario a week or so ago, and i think that, yes, not everyone does pursuits, no, they're not mandatory, all this and that, however if they're daily and cycled, i think it'd be fair to get to do it daily. so yes, merging them would be the best option.
to whomever said merging it with incubating a nest, i agree. i encountered this scenario a week or so ago, and i think that, yes, not everyone does pursuits, no, they're not mandatory, all this and that, however if they're daily and cycled, i think it'd be fair to get to do it daily. so yes, merging them would be the best option.
wishlist
he/kit
xenogender
trans
transmasc

arospec
rosboy
gay
ace

catgender
Adorable Arcane Hatchery! you should listen to them... NOW!!! Coatl Swirls!
i haven't read the entirety of this thread so apologies if this has already been brought up, but if pursuits are unique to every player (i believe they are), couldn't you just add a small logic check implemented into the code used to randomize the daily pursuits?

in pseudocode this would be something along the lines of "if no nests are empty AND all nests NOT ready to hatch --> reroll the 'breed a dragon pursuit'". i'm no web developer but i have coding experience and this feels pretty reasonable to do.

if this is implemented site-side, it would be practically invisible to the playerbase. those who fulfilled the conditions would be able to get and complete the pursuit, regardless if they actually wanted to or not, while those who were mechanically incapable due to filled nests wouldn't have to deal with it because they would never roll it for the time they have all unhatchable nests. the pursuit never leaves the daily pursuits pool to begin with, so everyone wins, yay!

the ability to reroll pursuits is an idea i still vibe with, but i don't like the idea of someone having to spend their roll on a pursuit they just can't complete through conflicting gameplay (as opposed to rolling because they would rather complete different one) because it was completely out of their control. to me, rerolls should be a choice and not due to some clumsy feature implementation/oversight.
i haven't read the entirety of this thread so apologies if this has already been brought up, but if pursuits are unique to every player (i believe they are), couldn't you just add a small logic check implemented into the code used to randomize the daily pursuits?

in pseudocode this would be something along the lines of "if no nests are empty AND all nests NOT ready to hatch --> reroll the 'breed a dragon pursuit'". i'm no web developer but i have coding experience and this feels pretty reasonable to do.

if this is implemented site-side, it would be practically invisible to the playerbase. those who fulfilled the conditions would be able to get and complete the pursuit, regardless if they actually wanted to or not, while those who were mechanically incapable due to filled nests wouldn't have to deal with it because they would never roll it for the time they have all unhatchable nests. the pursuit never leaves the daily pursuits pool to begin with, so everyone wins, yay!

the ability to reroll pursuits is an idea i still vibe with, but i don't like the idea of someone having to spend their roll on a pursuit they just can't complete through conflicting gameplay (as opposed to rolling because they would rather complete different one) because it was completely out of their control. to me, rerolls should be a choice and not due to some clumsy feature implementation/oversight.
A drawing of a blue and yellow Spiral dragon (art by me). Click to go to the dragon! | @Quebeal
| ♦ ¤ ——−−--
|
|
| FR +1 DST
| Any pronouns
| My current avatar dragon!
| Hey there! I wish you a great day.
———-Recolored treeshroud icon by yascherritsa. Click for resource thread!
I haven't read through the entire thread but wow, how can something so simple and logical be so controversial :0

Anyway I fully agree! A daily pursuit that you can be locked out of completely unless you buy an expensive gem item shouldn't be a daily pursuit. Like others have said, it's not about choosing which ones to do and not to do, because in this instance, there is no choice to make... other than spending 350g I suppose, which I highly doubt was intended. I certainly hope it wasn't!

It may be a small daily task with a negligible reward but just like you can choose to skip any pursuit you want, people should be able to choose to complete any pursuit they want.

It could easily be replaced with some other type of task, too, if there being one less pursuit is a concern !
I haven't read through the entire thread but wow, how can something so simple and logical be so controversial :0

Anyway I fully agree! A daily pursuit that you can be locked out of completely unless you buy an expensive gem item shouldn't be a daily pursuit. Like others have said, it's not about choosing which ones to do and not to do, because in this instance, there is no choice to make... other than spending 350g I suppose, which I highly doubt was intended. I certainly hope it wasn't!

It may be a small daily task with a negligible reward but just like you can choose to skip any pursuit you want, people should be able to choose to complete any pursuit they want.

It could easily be replaced with some other type of task, too, if there being one less pursuit is a concern !
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

__ c6nYENf.png __ dcbbuos.png
It certainly shouldn't be a DAILY task. I don't mind "breed a dragon" as a weekly task, but as a daily task it should be changed to "incubate a nest."
It certainly shouldn't be a DAILY task. I don't mind "breed a dragon" as a weekly task, but as a daily task it should be changed to "incubate a nest."
"It is physically impossible outside of spending premium currency to complete this task if you play the game and use the feature" is extremely different to "You choose not to use this feature".

Support.
"It is physically impossible outside of spending premium currency to complete this task if you play the game and use the feature" is extremely different to "You choose not to use this feature".

Support.
13ulbasaur.gif vRisyDR.png
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16