Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Rework Festival Skin Contests
I've been seeing talk about it lately; so I figured I would use this as a chance to speak my thoughts and compile some things together. [b]Stuff we know/objectively "good" things about the current system:[/b] [list][*][b]The skin cap on older breeds and moderns.[/b] Winning submissions are more likely to feature skins for newer breeds and ancients. [list][*][b]PROs: [/b] - Newer breeds get more love; now players have an affordable variety of themed skins to choose from each year, in which they don't have to spend 500g+ or wait for someone to make something they like. - Since Ancient breeds can't wear apparel, having a large selection of skins is always a plus. Players love their customization! [*][b]CONs: [/b] -We're seeing less skins or modern breeds; they are (and will always be) the most popular choice given that they can wear apparel and don't have exclusive genes. There are many players that simply don't enjoy Ancient breeds for this reason. [/list] [*][b]Submissions have to follow specific criteria to win.[/b] Theme, colors, style, and quality are all things that are taken into account when selecting skins. [list][*][b]PROs: [/b] - Winning skins will always be on point with theme & quality that match the preferences of players all around. [*][b]CONs: [/b] - Sometimes winning skins lack variety. This has been becoming more and more of an issue as the site grows older, and it's hard for users to create something that hasn't been done. [/list] [*][b]Submission turnouts are at a drastic decline. [/b]We're seeing less and less submissions as the years pass. We don't know a ton, but here's some theories: [list][*][b]WHY?: [/b] - Newer players are intimidated by the system and/or intimidated by high-quality submissions posted in the public forum. - The criteria for winning is "too strict", and players are tired of trying to figure out unique designs that aren't too far-out. ^ Read more about Earth's declining statistics, brought up by 888 [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3324432/2#post_56445495][u]this thread[/u][/url]. [/list][/list] [b]Possible additions:[/b] [list][*][b]+ Expand the amount of winning submissions from 16 to 20. [list][*][b]PROs: [/b] - Simple: more variety is always fantastic! Expanding the winning count would ensure that more breeds (both ancient and modern) get a skin for that month. [*][b]CONs: [/b] - Shopper's paralysis. With more available skins, more users might have to sacrifice their last picks, and from a player perspective... that's definitely not best-case-scenario. Once each festival is over, it's respective items spike on the AH, making them instantly unaffordable for many, and it only gets worse with time. - Along with the sentiment above, Festival skin collectors now spend an extra 140,000t on top of the 560,000t they may spend on the original 16 (without a Dominance discount). [/list][/list] [list][*][b]+ More lenience with skin concepts. [list][*][b]PROs: [/b] - A larger variety of designs ensures that the 20 winning submissions are filled, and a wider base is reached with more unique & unconventional designs. It doesn't have to be [i]too[/i] out there; just within theme. Ex. Earth festivals exhibiting the popular "neutral drape" aesthetic (as seen on [gamedb item=46908] and [gamedb item=46463]). [*][b]CONs: [/b] - I actually see no downside to this other than the fact that not everyone is going to like more unconventional designs. But now that the skins aren't in the marketplace and don't have a visual count, I see no issue with it. [/list][/list] [list][*][b]+ Have a separate cap for both Ancient and Modern submissions. [list][*][b]PROs: [/b] - Both Ancient and Modern breeds get their fair share of skins, and by ensuring that both types fill their respective numbers, then both Ancient-enjoyers and Modern-enjoyers are happy. [*][b]CONs: [/b] - Again, I don't really see any cons, and I honestly think having a cap is definitely beneficial. [/list][/list] [center]Please, please, use this as a discussion thread as well! This entire list is just based off of what I believe should happen, and I would love to hear more from everyone else.
I've been seeing talk about it lately; so I figured I would use this as a chance to speak my thoughts and compile some things together.

Stuff we know/objectively "good" things about the current system:
  • The skin cap on older breeds and moderns. Winning submissions are more likely to feature skins for newer breeds and ancients.
    • PROs:
      - Newer breeds get more love; now players have an affordable variety of themed skins to choose from each year, in which they don't have to spend 500g+ or wait for someone to make something they like.
      - Since Ancient breeds can't wear apparel, having a large selection of skins is always a plus. Players love their customization!
    • CONs:
      -We're seeing less skins or modern breeds; they are (and will always be) the most popular choice given that they can wear apparel and don't have exclusive genes. There are many players that simply don't enjoy Ancient breeds for this reason.
  • Submissions have to follow specific criteria to win. Theme, colors, style, and quality are all things that are taken into account when selecting skins.
    • PROs:
      - Winning skins will always be on point with theme & quality that match the preferences of players all around.
    • CONs:
      - Sometimes winning skins lack variety. This has been becoming more and more of an issue as the site grows older, and it's hard for users to create something that hasn't been done.
  • Submission turnouts are at a drastic decline. We're seeing less and less submissions as the years pass. We don't know a ton, but here's some theories:
    • WHY?:
      - Newer players are intimidated by the system and/or intimidated by high-quality submissions posted in the public forum.
      - The criteria for winning is "too strict", and players are tired of trying to figure out unique designs that aren't too far-out.

^ Read more about Earth's declining statistics, brought up by 888 this thread.

Possible additions:
  • + Expand the amount of winning submissions from 16 to 20.
    • PROs:
      - Simple: more variety is always fantastic! Expanding the winning count would ensure that more breeds (both ancient and modern) get a skin for that month.
    • CONs:
      - Shopper's paralysis. With more available skins, more users might have to sacrifice their last picks, and from a player perspective... that's definitely not best-case-scenario. Once each festival is over, it's respective items spike on the AH, making them instantly unaffordable for many, and it only gets worse with time.
      - Along with the sentiment above, Festival skin collectors now spend an extra 140,000t on top of the 560,000t they may spend on the original 16 (without a Dominance discount).
  • + More lenience with skin concepts.
    • PROs:
      - A larger variety of designs ensures that the 20 winning submissions are filled, and a wider base is reached with more unique & unconventional designs. It doesn't have to be too out there; just within theme. Ex. Earth festivals exhibiting the popular "neutral drape" aesthetic (as seen on Skin: Sunless Summer and Skin: What Paints The Cliffs).
    • CONs:
      - I actually see no downside to this other than the fact that not everyone is going to like more unconventional designs. But now that the skins aren't in the marketplace and don't have a visual count, I see no issue with it.
  • + Have a separate cap for both Ancient and Modern submissions.
    • PROs:
      - Both Ancient and Modern breeds get their fair share of skins, and by ensuring that both types fill their respective numbers, then both Ancient-enjoyers and Modern-enjoyers are happy.
    • CONs:
      - Again, I don't really see any cons, and I honestly think having a cap is definitely beneficial.

Please, please, use this as a discussion thread as well! This entire list is just based off of what I believe should happen, and I would love to hear more from everyone else.
2KAdknV.png
gTTW2gA.png
GW180jv.png
uVEyOnT.png
DshAKj6.png
iR2WNmx.png
m0cjLtv.png
Major support from me, and I've also been speculating about the decline of submissions lately. I'm curious if it's because you can typically make a larger profit, sometimes a massively larger profit if multiple runs are submitted, off of making UMAs as compared to fest submissions. While it might not help with variety (though it also might if more people are encouraged to come up with interesting ideas), a larger reward for winning might help the issue of declining submissions (or maybe even a small reward for submitting a skin at all).
Major support from me, and I've also been speculating about the decline of submissions lately. I'm curious if it's because you can typically make a larger profit, sometimes a massively larger profit if multiple runs are submitted, off of making UMAs as compared to fest submissions. While it might not help with variety (though it also might if more people are encouraged to come up with interesting ideas), a larger reward for winning might help the issue of declining submissions (or maybe even a small reward for submitting a skin at all).
Untitled47-20231219225403.png
FObX7rS.png5hF3FGk.png
fDSaoY3.pngNN9NPXA.pngtqGkHih.png
Untitled48-20231219225437.png
I also support these types of changes to the contests! I don't believe all festival skins even need to be obtainable with treasure. Some of them are already in chests, and a few appear in Baldwin. They could simply add a couple more to Baldwin, increase chest drop rate, or make it possible to buy some of the skins from Joxar's shop with festival currency.
I also support these types of changes to the contests! I don't believe all festival skins even need to be obtainable with treasure. Some of them are already in chests, and a few appear in Baldwin. They could simply add a couple more to Baldwin, increase chest drop rate, or make it possible to buy some of the skins from Joxar's shop with festival currency.
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

__ c6nYENf.png __ dcbbuos.png
While I'm not leaning heavily into it, I support!
While I'm not leaning heavily into it, I support!
Give a like if you think they're cool--->86520977.png93331792.png88744101.png
Just wanted to address one thing (and apparently just touch on a few other things): [quote name="Gargouille" date="2024-03-24 17:57:11" ] [*][b]Submission turnouts are at a drastic decline. [/b]We're seeing less and less submissions as the years pass. [/quote] As a note: this is not entirely true. I remembered low turnouts in prior years as well and decided to do some searching. As a note, MistJam 2014's skin submission thread had around the same number of pages than the other festivals cited as being more of a "normal" rate in the 2023/2024 festival year, at only 14 pages— and, while that might seem obvious, being that the site was newer and the playerbase lower, other festivals in that year were hovering between 20-30 pages. It was the festival cycle with the largest skin turnout— possibly because everyone was new to the site and very excited about this cool new thing. (I guess what I'm learning is that MistJam is surprisingly unpopular to submit skins for— I didn't really notice because I always love all the MistJam skins.) The search feature is pretty inconsistent, so I'm not going by any timeline and am instead noting some pre-2020 festivals that got skin submissions threads that only got to under 20 pages, as 13-16 seems to be norm in 2024: • Wavecrest was also only ~18 pages in 2014. • Rockbreaker's was ~13 pages in 2018. • Flameforger's was ~16 pages in 2016. • Rockbreaker's was ~15 pages in 2017. • MistJam was ~16 pages in 2015. (I'm actually unsure MistJam has ever reached over 20) • MistJam reached all of ~19 pages in 2017! Wow! The highest yet! • Trickmurk had ~19 in 2014. • Crystalline had ~19 in 2014 as well. • Rockbreaker's had ~13 in 2019. • MistJam had ~14 in 2018. • Crystalline had ~16 in 2019 AND in 2020. • Brightshine had ~17 in 2017. …There are many more than this; I stopped counting once it became apparent that there were enough to support this being a valid part of the range in earlier years. And, again, this isn't in any order because the site search function for forums is a [i]nightmare[/i]. But anyway! While there may have been a dip in the largest output numbers, I do think it's misleading to use the words "drastic decline" when it's just one festival that only got to 10 and most seem to still be in ranges that we've seen in the past. MistJam and Rockbreaker's seem to be the most consistently low overall, but Rockbreaker's has reached over 20 multiple times, having some absolutely wild fluctuations— obviously, there was the mentioned incentivizing this year, but it also got record highs at the beginning of the site, surprisingly enough! (Obviously, if other fests in the cycles hit under-13 as well, that might be more cause for alarm; I just think it's too early to say.) Also of note is that there were lots more low-twenties than I expected that I couldn't count on the under-20 side of things. 30+ is [i]extremely[/i] rare and seems mostly relegated to the first festival cycle. It looks like there's always been a pretty wide range of submissions numbers— the outliers are 30+ and the now-10, which is the lowest I've seen in my checking but is only one festival in this current cycle, for a festival that gets a [i]consistently[/i] lower-than-all-the-others turnout despite the large flight and the apparent popularity of the aesthetic. While I'm not necessarily opposed to changes in festivals if the devs think it's the way to go, I think the idea that this is necessary because there's a consistent decline is not provably accurate based on the huge range we've always had. The first year had submission page highs for most elements in the 30s, and then… MistJam with 14, Wavecrest with 18. I also do want to note that lower numbers of skin submissions get more pose repeats, which people seem to really have a problem with— but that's not something the site itself can address. If there aren't enough submissions* then how can there be variety? (Obviously opinions are going to vary for specific instances, but when there are less skins, then some don't meet the standards set by the contest in the first place, then there's a much smaller pool to choose from. If all the qualifying skins, for instance, were Wildclaw F, and all the other skins were unsuitable for some reason [which didn't happen, I'm just using it as an example] then it's more likely all the winning skins would be Wildclaw F. If the [i]only[/i] submission to a festival was somehow a Bogsneak M filled-in colorblock with no shadows, I think it's far more likely that we just wouldn't get skins that year, and that's also fine.) * While people cage themselves into specific aesthetics I do feel from past skins we've gotten there's a larger amount of variance in what the site accepts than people give them credit for— to the point where both the site and skinmakers have gotten backlash for it in the past, which… is another thing that might be affecting both people's willingness to submit unique designs that the site can't really address other than saying "don't harass the skinmakers." I have definitely seen skinmakers get backlashed (offsite, so the site couldn't really do anything about it) and go "well, okay, I'll just never submit a fest skin again," even though they'd won. Anyway, with all these edits, I probably won't be participating too much in this conversation— I just wanted to bring up some points that other people could potentially jump off of that I feel often get overlooked in suggestions about skin contests overall. But for my final note: while this wouldn't help the festival cycle, I would still love site skins being brought back with no set limitation on style (i.e. fest skins, Coli skins)— I do miss the days we had purchasable or otherwise obtainable from the site skins (I understand why Swipp's were retired but still miss the general concept), and while it wouldn't help with most of the points made here, it would at least be a way to offer some more skins in more styles for more dragons (and users!) without the time-limited money-gathering pressure of a fest. [emoji=ridgeback happy size=1]
Just wanted to address one thing (and apparently just touch on a few other things):
Gargouille wrote on 2024-03-24 17:57:11:
[*]Submission turnouts are at a drastic decline. We're seeing less and less submissions as the years pass.

As a note: this is not entirely true. I remembered low turnouts in prior years as well and decided to do some searching. As a note, MistJam 2014's skin submission thread had around the same number of pages than the other festivals cited as being more of a "normal" rate in the 2023/2024 festival year, at only 14 pages— and, while that might seem obvious, being that the site was newer and the playerbase lower, other festivals in that year were hovering between 20-30 pages. It was the festival cycle with the largest skin turnout— possibly because everyone was new to the site and very excited about this cool new thing.

(I guess what I'm learning is that MistJam is surprisingly unpopular to submit skins for— I didn't really notice because I always love all the MistJam skins.)

The search feature is pretty inconsistent, so I'm not going by any timeline and am instead noting some pre-2020 festivals that got skin submissions threads that only got to under 20 pages, as 13-16 seems to be norm in 2024:

• Wavecrest was also only ~18 pages in 2014.
• Rockbreaker's was ~13 pages in 2018.
• Flameforger's was ~16 pages in 2016.
• Rockbreaker's was ~15 pages in 2017.
• MistJam was ~16 pages in 2015. (I'm actually unsure MistJam has ever reached over 20)
• MistJam reached all of ~19 pages in 2017! Wow! The highest yet!
• Trickmurk had ~19 in 2014.
• Crystalline had ~19 in 2014 as well.
• Rockbreaker's had ~13 in 2019.
• MistJam had ~14 in 2018.
• Crystalline had ~16 in 2019 AND in 2020.
• Brightshine had ~17 in 2017.

…There are many more than this; I stopped counting once it became apparent that there were enough to support this being a valid part of the range in earlier years. And, again, this isn't in any order because the site search function for forums is a nightmare.

But anyway! While there may have been a dip in the largest output numbers, I do think it's misleading to use the words "drastic decline" when it's just one festival that only got to 10 and most seem to still be in ranges that we've seen in the past. MistJam and Rockbreaker's seem to be the most consistently low overall, but Rockbreaker's has reached over 20 multiple times, having some absolutely wild fluctuations— obviously, there was the mentioned incentivizing this year, but it also got record highs at the beginning of the site, surprisingly enough!

(Obviously, if other fests in the cycles hit under-13 as well, that might be more cause for alarm; I just think it's too early to say.)

Also of note is that there were lots more low-twenties than I expected that I couldn't count on the under-20 side of things. 30+ is extremely rare and seems mostly relegated to the first festival cycle.

It looks like there's always been a pretty wide range of submissions numbers— the outliers are 30+ and the now-10, which is the lowest I've seen in my checking but is only one festival in this current cycle, for a festival that gets a consistently lower-than-all-the-others turnout despite the large flight and the apparent popularity of the aesthetic.

While I'm not necessarily opposed to changes in festivals if the devs think it's the way to go, I think the idea that this is necessary because there's a consistent decline is not provably accurate based on the huge range we've always had. The first year had submission page highs for most elements in the 30s, and then… MistJam with 14, Wavecrest with 18.

I also do want to note that lower numbers of skin submissions get more pose repeats, which people seem to really have a problem with— but that's not something the site itself can address. If there aren't enough submissions* then how can there be variety?

(Obviously opinions are going to vary for specific instances, but when there are less skins, then some don't meet the standards set by the contest in the first place, then there's a much smaller pool to choose from. If all the qualifying skins, for instance, were Wildclaw F, and all the other skins were unsuitable for some reason [which didn't happen, I'm just using it as an example] then it's more likely all the winning skins would be Wildclaw F. If the only submission to a festival was somehow a Bogsneak M filled-in colorblock with no shadows, I think it's far more likely that we just wouldn't get skins that year, and that's also fine.)

* While people cage themselves into specific aesthetics I do feel from past skins we've gotten there's a larger amount of variance in what the site accepts than people give them credit for— to the point where both the site and skinmakers have gotten backlash for it in the past, which… is another thing that might be affecting both people's willingness to submit unique designs that the site can't really address other than saying "don't harass the skinmakers." I have definitely seen skinmakers get backlashed (offsite, so the site couldn't really do anything about it) and go "well, okay, I'll just never submit a fest skin again," even though they'd won.

Anyway, with all these edits, I probably won't be participating too much in this conversation— I just wanted to bring up some points that other people could potentially jump off of that I feel often get overlooked in suggestions about skin contests overall.

But for my final note: while this wouldn't help the festival cycle, I would still love site skins being brought back with no set limitation on style (i.e. fest skins, Coli skins)— I do miss the days we had purchasable or otherwise obtainable from the site skins (I understand why Swipp's were retired but still miss the general concept), and while it wouldn't help with most of the points made here, it would at least be a way to offer some more skins in more styles for more dragons (and users!) without the time-limited money-gathering pressure of a fest.
Support.

We desperately need separate caps on ancients and moderns. It boggles the mind that 9 of the skins this mistjam were ancients, and a whopping 6 were of the same two breeds.
Support.

We desperately need separate caps on ancients and moderns. It boggles the mind that 9 of the skins this mistjam were ancients, and a whopping 6 were of the same two breeds.
I support more festival skins only if the overall price of each skin goes down. Players shouldn't have their FR time revolve around festivals.

Conversely, FR could stock skins in other locations, giving players a wider access to skins without the limited time and themes of festivals. For example, the MP has been devoid of skins for a long time.
I support more festival skins only if the overall price of each skin goes down. Players shouldn't have their FR time revolve around festivals.

Conversely, FR could stock skins in other locations, giving players a wider access to skins without the limited time and themes of festivals. For example, the MP has been devoid of skins for a long time.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote]Expand the amount of winning submissions from 16 to 20.[/quote] A useless change - the number was just increased from 12 to 16 and what did we get regarding breed variety? No change as now the popular/recent breeds just get more winning entries. The same thing will happen once you increase the entries to 20. [quote]More lenience with skin concepts.[/quote] I don't really get what you mean by "more lenience" as it's a flight festival, so it should be related somehow to that flight, what would be the point of letting in "random" skins, regardless of how pretty they are? [quote]Have a separate cap for both Ancient and Modern submissions.[/quote] Con: staff could lock themselves in picking less matchy skins if, say, majority of the skin submissions are of Ancients, the Ancient slots are easily filled yet there's too few Modern submissions but staff still has to pick something. Also, how would you pick the cap that it would be fair to both breed types?
Quote:
Expand the amount of winning submissions from 16 to 20.
A useless change - the number was just increased from 12 to 16 and what did we get regarding breed variety? No change as now the popular/recent breeds just get more winning entries. The same thing will happen once you increase the entries to 20.

Quote:
More lenience with skin concepts.
I don't really get what you mean by "more lenience" as it's a flight festival, so it should be related somehow to that flight, what would be the point of letting in "random" skins, regardless of how pretty they are?

Quote:
Have a separate cap for both Ancient and Modern submissions.
Con: staff could lock themselves in picking less matchy skins if, say, majority of the skin submissions are of Ancients, the Ancient slots are easily filled yet there's too few Modern submissions but staff still has to pick something. Also, how would you pick the cap that it would be fair to both breed types?
JQQ3Fjt.png
i believe the devs said the reason that a significant amount of skin/accent winners are for ancients is to help beef up their catalogues since this is the only way to dress them up since they can't wear clothes, all the other breeds have had several years worth of festivals to build from - i don't like it but i'm fairly certain that is the dev supported answer

that being said - i don't think a modern breed should have more than 1 win if another modern breed is not being represented

in the modern section there were 2 skydancers and 2 imperials winners which are arguably very popular breeds who are genuinely not lacking in the skin/accent department - this is unfair when other breeds get nothing

perhaps there should be separate winning sections - one for ancients and one for moderns, that way the moderns can still be properly represented, while not taking away from trying to give more skins/accents to the new ancients

i think another issue is that a lot of the same people win every single festival - which can be discouraging to other users. not only that but the same style of skins/accents are consistently picked, while things that go outside the box stylistically are overlooked. i'm not calling anyone out specifically, and i am not saying these people should not win because there is no doubt that they are talented but i feel like some kind of winner's cooldown should be implemented to give other people a chance at winning, which would hopefully increase turnout
(my tentative idea is that maybe if you win one festival, the next festival you need to sit out, then the one after that you can participate again?)
i believe the devs said the reason that a significant amount of skin/accent winners are for ancients is to help beef up their catalogues since this is the only way to dress them up since they can't wear clothes, all the other breeds have had several years worth of festivals to build from - i don't like it but i'm fairly certain that is the dev supported answer

that being said - i don't think a modern breed should have more than 1 win if another modern breed is not being represented

in the modern section there were 2 skydancers and 2 imperials winners which are arguably very popular breeds who are genuinely not lacking in the skin/accent department - this is unfair when other breeds get nothing

perhaps there should be separate winning sections - one for ancients and one for moderns, that way the moderns can still be properly represented, while not taking away from trying to give more skins/accents to the new ancients

i think another issue is that a lot of the same people win every single festival - which can be discouraging to other users. not only that but the same style of skins/accents are consistently picked, while things that go outside the box stylistically are overlooked. i'm not calling anyone out specifically, and i am not saying these people should not win because there is no doubt that they are talented but i feel like some kind of winner's cooldown should be implemented to give other people a chance at winning, which would hopefully increase turnout
(my tentative idea is that maybe if you win one festival, the next festival you need to sit out, then the one after that you can participate again?)
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether