Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Festival skins need update
1 2 3 4
[quote name="888" date="2024-03-24 12:54:54" ] [snip] yeah, earth historically has the lowest turnout of any flight festival skin contest. I wanted my home flight to finally have a chance in the spotlight for 2023 LOL. the thread we ran was [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/3256014]here[/url], and the [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tnuG7aqr6UNWN4cJtg9ILM7SOJAQLSPSoOeGyiE64Qw/edit#gid=578835631]sheet of entries for that contest[/url] made a pretty big impact in the entry numbers that year. I don't think any submission thread will organically hit that many entries again, but I also see the number of entries declining a bit each year. the average for 'popular' months like ice, nature, wind, water, and arcane in 2022 were 17-18 pages. we didn't hit anywhere near those numbers in 2023 or 2024. re the pose doubling: it's true, and it's why people will be surprised there are no skins for a flight's representative breed when there just weren't many skins submitted for that breedpose. I will say it's surprising we didn't get more auraboa skin winners. there were a good chunk of very nice auraboa skin entries this month. [/quote] this makes me wonder if more community-led contests or events that encourage folks to enter festival skin contests may need to be more commonplace going forward? for whatever reason, the incentives to join are currently not doing the numbers as they used to, and that's impacting the diversity of the winning skins (no shade to the artists at all though, your entries are all amazing!) [quote name="luckydragonwolf" date="2024-03-24 13:10:10" ] [snip] My personal theory is that the newer entrants may not feel they can "measure up" to the other submissions, or they may not really feel there's much they can do considering each flight has a rather limited aesthetic to go off of. [/quote] interesting point, it may be one of the reasons why people aren't as enthusiastic? though on the other hand, seeing the entries each festival, sometimes i feel like the aesthetic or lore of the flight has yet to be tapped into in a certain way that i would envision it... maybe i gotta start churning out some festival skins lol
888 wrote on 2024-03-24 12:54:54:
[snip]

yeah, earth historically has the lowest turnout of any flight festival skin contest. I wanted my home flight to finally have a chance in the spotlight for 2023 LOL. the thread we ran was here, and the sheet of entries for that contest made a pretty big impact in the entry numbers that year. I don't think any submission thread will organically hit that many entries again, but I also see the number of entries declining a bit each year. the average for 'popular' months like ice, nature, wind, water, and arcane in 2022 were 17-18 pages. we didn't hit anywhere near those numbers in 2023 or 2024.

re the pose doubling: it's true, and it's why people will be surprised there are no skins for a flight's representative breed when there just weren't many skins submitted for that breedpose. I will say it's surprising we didn't get more auraboa skin winners. there were a good chunk of very nice auraboa skin entries this month.

this makes me wonder if more community-led contests or events that encourage folks to enter festival skin contests may need to be more commonplace going forward? for whatever reason, the incentives to join are currently not doing the numbers as they used to, and that's impacting the diversity of the winning skins (no shade to the artists at all though, your entries are all amazing!)

luckydragonwolf wrote on 2024-03-24 13:10:10:
[snip]

My personal theory is that the newer entrants may not feel they can "measure up" to the other submissions, or they may not really feel there's much they can do considering each flight has a rather limited aesthetic to go off of.

interesting point, it may be one of the reasons why people aren't as enthusiastic? though on the other hand, seeing the entries each festival, sometimes i feel like the aesthetic or lore of the flight has yet to be tapped into in a certain way that i would envision it... maybe i gotta start churning out some festival skins lol
A drawing of a blue and yellow Spiral dragon (art by me). Click to go to the dragon! | @Quebeal
| ♦ ¤ ——−−--
|
|
| FR +1 DST
| Any pronouns
| My current avatar dragon!
| Hey there! I wish you a great day.
———-Recolored treeshroud icon by yascherritsa. Click for resource thread!
[quote name="luckydragonwolf" date="2024-03-24 13:10:10" ] [quote name="callistostella" date="2024-03-24 13:07:07" ] [quote name="888" date="2024-03-24 12:54:54" ] I don't think any submission thread will organically hit that many entries again, but I also believe the number of entries are declining each year. the average for 'popular' months like ice, nature, wind, water, and arcane in 2022 were 17-18 pages. we didn't hit anywhere near those numbers in 2023 or 2024. [/quote] Oh, that's kinda weird ?? does anyone know why it's been decreasing ? [/quote] My personal theory is that the newer entrants may not feel they can "measure up" to the other submissions, or they may not really feel there's much they can do considering each flight has a rather limited aesthetic to go off of. [/quote] Yeah, I think for flights with especially aesthetically narrow elements, like fire or ice, the range of obvious ideas that people consider for making an entry is limited, and when people look back on past winners or even at what others are entering during that year's fest, it can feel like everything has already been done and many get discouraged. Personally I have no beef with the breed or pose repeats. If the best/most fitting entries were on those ones then those are the ones that should get picked. Imagine telling a sports team that worked hard and managed to win somw tournament four years in a row, 'sorry, you did the best but we want to give others a chance to win'. That'd just feel horrible for that team and the others that know they didn't actually win and were just given the spot out of pity. Nobody is forcing any of us to make entries for one thing or another, no preference has been stated by the devs, so logically the only control any of us has over what wins is designing our own entry for a breed we want to win. OR We can do something like our Earth folk last year and give people an incentive to design one thing or another and hope it has some effect on what places.
luckydragonwolf wrote on 2024-03-24 13:10:10:
callistostella wrote on 2024-03-24 13:07:07:
888 wrote on 2024-03-24 12:54:54:
I don't think any submission thread will organically hit that many entries again, but I also believe the number of entries are declining each year. the average for 'popular' months like ice, nature, wind, water, and arcane in 2022 were 17-18 pages. we didn't hit anywhere near those numbers in 2023 or 2024.

Oh, that's kinda weird ?? does anyone know why it's been decreasing ?
My personal theory is that the newer entrants may not feel they can "measure up" to the other submissions, or they may not really feel there's much they can do considering each flight has a rather limited aesthetic to go off of.
Yeah, I think for flights with especially aesthetically narrow elements, like fire or ice, the range of obvious ideas that people consider for making an entry is limited, and when people look back on past winners or even at what others are entering during that year's fest, it can feel like everything has already been done and many get discouraged.

Personally I have no beef with the breed or pose repeats. If the best/most fitting entries were on those ones then those are the ones that should get picked. Imagine telling a sports team that worked hard and managed to win somw tournament four years in a row, 'sorry, you did the best but we want to give others a chance to win'. That'd just feel horrible for that team and the others that know they didn't actually win and were just given the spot out of pity.

Nobody is forcing any of us to make entries for one thing or another, no preference has been stated by the devs, so logically the only control any of us has over what wins is designing our own entry for a breed we want to win. OR We can do something like our Earth folk last year and give people an incentive to design one thing or another and hope it has some effect on what places.
rv0xzcJ.gif wA5lAlD.pngxNTxlcy.jpg
[quote name="Quebeal" date="2024-03-24 15:07:46" ] this makes me wonder if more community-led contests or events that encourage folks to enter festival skin contests may need to be more commonplace going forward? for whatever reason, the incentives to join are currently not doing the numbers as they used to, and that's impacting the diversity of the winning skins (no shade to the artists at all though, your entries are all amazing!) [/quote] Possibly ? though we think there's a learning curve when it comes to letting more players make skins which needs some help on. for example we wanted to make an accent for crystalline gala but we spent such a long time trying to figure out how it worked, looking up guides and seeing if we were breaking any rules to the point we got bored of how much time we were using making it and gave up . we also had a friend who planned to have a submission in this year's mistjam but pixel halos and image compression became a problem and he eventually gave up trying to fix it. maybe small issues like these also make it kinda bothersome to make skins/accents in the first place ? wdk just guessing
Quebeal wrote on 2024-03-24 15:07:46:
this makes me wonder if more community-led contests or events that encourage folks to enter festival skin contests may need to be more commonplace going forward? for whatever reason, the incentives to join are currently not doing the numbers as they used to, and that's impacting the diversity of the winning skins (no shade to the artists at all though, your entries are all amazing!)

Possibly ? though we think there's a learning curve when it comes to letting more players make skins which needs some help on.
for example we wanted to make an accent for crystalline gala but we spent such a long time trying to figure out how it worked, looking up guides and seeing if we were breaking any rules to the point we got bored of how much time we were using making it and gave up . we also had a friend who planned to have a submission in this year's mistjam but pixel halos and image compression became a problem and he eventually gave up trying to fix it. maybe small issues like these also make it kinda bothersome to make skins/accents in the first place ? wdk just guessing
3ab5c778.gifJupiter/Ben • She/Nix/Nova/Voi • FR+0 • Art ShopWishlist 3ab5c778.gif
gonna disagree here, honestly I really like the skins this time. and i'm glad a lot of them were for ancients since ancients can't wear clothes anyway lol. i think sometimes you just get a dud festival for your personal taste but often for someone else it's a goldmine--for example I was not super into any of the rockbreaker's stuff from this last november, but some people loved it
gonna disagree here, honestly I really like the skins this time. and i'm glad a lot of them were for ancients since ancients can't wear clothes anyway lol. i think sometimes you just get a dud festival for your personal taste but often for someone else it's a goldmine--for example I was not super into any of the rockbreaker's stuff from this last november, but some people loved it
you could always make your own skins; sometimes ppl don't have ideas for certain breeds. I certainly have that problem whenever I try, and most submissions baffle me 'cause they were able to :/
you could always make your own skins; sometimes ppl don't have ideas for certain breeds. I certainly have that problem whenever I try, and most submissions baffle me 'cause they were able to :/
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

rM33C9P.png0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.gif
[quote name="MaplesHaiku" date="2024-03-24 13:01:38" ] They already increased the number of skins per festival at the start of the last cycle, but it's clear it isn't enough. Because ancients are popular for getting skins (since they can't wear apparel), maybe they could count moderns and ancients separately, if that makes sense. Like 14 modern skins and 14 ancient skins. With how many ancients we have now, it's definitely doable. [/quote] That'd be nearly 900,000T worth of skins to purchase every Festival. No thanks!! [emoji=gaoler scared size=2]
MaplesHaiku wrote on 2024-03-24 13:01:38:
They already increased the number of skins per festival at the start of the last cycle, but it's clear it isn't enough.

Because ancients are popular for getting skins (since they can't wear apparel), maybe they could count moderns and ancients separately, if that makes sense. Like 14 modern skins and 14 ancient skins. With how many ancients we have now, it's definitely doable.

That'd be nearly 900,000T worth of skins to purchase every Festival. No thanks!!
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I've never seen more than like two festivals with more than two skins being for the same breed pose. I was really shocked to see so many this time! That being said, there were only 10 pages of entries... I feel like it was the lack of entries that were the main reason it resulted like this.
I've never seen more than like two festivals with more than two skins being for the same breed pose. I was really shocked to see so many this time! That being said, there were only 10 pages of entries... I feel like it was the lack of entries that were the main reason it resulted like this.
sJmKU07.gifa8FvSEr.png9dYW39C.png
Yeah, as someone who doesn't have many of the most recent ancients due to space issues (and we still haven't gotten the den slots from the Arlo plot released in November) + preferring moderns, seeing over half of the skins are ancients isn't.... great (Meanwhile I don't mind the two male SD ones because at least they're a wind breed. Aethers and Sandsurges aren't... why did they both get three.).

And yeah, we got a whole two more skin slots added which obviously isn't helping :/
Yeah, as someone who doesn't have many of the most recent ancients due to space issues (and we still haven't gotten the den slots from the Arlo plot released in November) + preferring moderns, seeing over half of the skins are ancients isn't.... great (Meanwhile I don't mind the two male SD ones because at least they're a wind breed. Aethers and Sandsurges aren't... why did they both get three.).

And yeah, we got a whole two more skin slots added which obviously isn't helping :/
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
[quote name="Ais" date="2024-03-24 11:14:04" ] I get that it's an art contest and that's important. But it doesn't feel great to know you aren't going to use half of the skins before even looking at them. [/quote] Yeah i basically feel like this
Ais wrote on 2024-03-24 11:14:04:
I get that it's an art contest and that's important. But it doesn't feel great to know you aren't going to use half of the skins before even looking at them.
Yeah i basically feel like this
25781.png xxxFramexxx
xMarley
They/he/she
Wishlist
x NXDDrCY.gif
[quote name="Gubyub" date="2024-03-24 16:11:49" ] you could always make your own skins; sometimes ppl don't have ideas for certain breeds. [/quote] UGH!! this is about the contestants that get left out from winning in favor of repeat pose skins!!! Stop with the "make your own" thing, because that is NOT what this is about!!!
Gubyub wrote on 2024-03-24 16:11:49:
you could always make your own skins; sometimes ppl don't have ideas for certain breeds.
UGH!! this is about the contestants that get left out from winning in favor of repeat pose skins!!! Stop with the "make your own" thing, because that is NOT what this is about!!!
01dcb6e24e7faa8f177f36434c4fba6a7f02ed03.gif
1 2 3 4