Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | retain some ancient gene exclusivity
1 2 3 4 5
No support.

Everything that is not a linebreaker SHOULD be universal. And, once everything that isn't linebreaking is universal - we should consider making some linebreaking terts universal.

There isn't a reason for gene pairs that require no adaptation to be locked to one or two breeds.
No support.

Everything that is not a linebreaker SHOULD be universal. And, once everything that isn't linebreaking is universal - we should consider making some linebreaking terts universal.

There isn't a reason for gene pairs that require no adaptation to be locked to one or two breeds.
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2024-03-24 03:06:29" ] full support - what's the point of the exclusivity of ancients if we're just gonna give every ancient and modern the ancient pri/sec genes? not only do we need to retain just ANCIENT EXCLUSIVE genes but ANCIENT BREED EXCLUSIVE genes - there need to be some genes that are made for one and shouldn't go to the others[/quote] I'd like to counter that by saying... what is the point of keeping genes locked onto one breed when as many people here have pointed out, not everybody likes ancients as a whole and not everybody likes certain ancients? for me, I am not a fan of auraboas, nor do I ever see myself having a significant amount of them in my lair, and no amount of cool 100% exclusive genes is going to change this. it only serves to create a completely arbitrary barrier of exclusivity when there is zero reason it needs to happen. if the endgoal is more customization options for dragons you [i]do[/i] like, why stifle that? I don't disagree whatsoever on the inter-breeding point you made, but to me there's absolutely no point of going "the coolest gene you've ever seen is stuck on a dragon you can't stand so guess you better get that dragon if you want access to that specific option :)", that's exactly why seeing auraboas get so many limited genes in a row almost exclusively to themselves made me so upset and I wouldn't wanna see it continue to happen.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2024-03-24 03:06:29:
full support - what's the point of the exclusivity of ancients if we're just gonna give every ancient and modern the ancient pri/sec genes?

not only do we need to retain just ANCIENT EXCLUSIVE genes but ANCIENT BREED EXCLUSIVE genes - there need to be some genes that are made for one and shouldn't go to the others

I'd like to counter that by saying... what is the point of keeping genes locked onto one breed when as many people here have pointed out, not everybody likes ancients as a whole and not everybody likes certain ancients? for me, I am not a fan of auraboas, nor do I ever see myself having a significant amount of them in my lair, and no amount of cool 100% exclusive genes is going to change this. it only serves to create a completely arbitrary barrier of exclusivity when there is zero reason it needs to happen. if the endgoal is more customization options for dragons you do like, why stifle that?

I don't disagree whatsoever on the inter-breeding point you made, but to me there's absolutely no point of going "the coolest gene you've ever seen is stuck on a dragon you can't stand so guess you better get that dragon if you want access to that specific option :)", that's exactly why seeing auraboas get so many limited genes in a row almost exclusively to themselves made me so upset and I wouldn't wanna see it continue to happen.
I understand both sides and can’t claim to land on one or the other, but one thing I might suggest is having genes be expressed in unique ways on Ancients, ways that are recognizably the gene they are but taking cues from the body plan to do something different - for example, when they made Poison for Aberrations, maybe one of the heads could have had the color pattern in reverse
I understand both sides and can’t claim to land on one or the other, but one thing I might suggest is having genes be expressed in unique ways on Ancients, ways that are recognizably the gene they are but taking cues from the body plan to do something different - for example, when they made Poison for Aberrations, maybe one of the heads could have had the color pattern in reverse
No support. I don't want to feel forced to use ancients because I like a certain genes that only they can have.
No support. I don't want to feel forced to use ancients because I like a certain genes that only they can have.
Personally, I totally get where you're coming from, but I can't support this.

I think the absolute best way to deal with gene bloat is to get all primary and secondary genes on all dragons. And the best way to deal with it within ancients is to get all tertiary genes on all ancients. Now, I don't know if I see that happening, but that is my reason for not supporting this. If there are no plans to deal with bloat that way, then I suppose I don't mind exclusivity to some degree, but its not something I'm totally in favor of.
Personally, I totally get where you're coming from, but I can't support this.

I think the absolute best way to deal with gene bloat is to get all primary and secondary genes on all dragons. And the best way to deal with it within ancients is to get all tertiary genes on all ancients. Now, I don't know if I see that happening, but that is my reason for not supporting this. If there are no plans to deal with bloat that way, then I suppose I don't mind exclusivity to some degree, but its not something I'm totally in favor of.
FR%20Adopt%20Sheepy%20Starry%20Peach.png
No support. Every single breed brings uniqueness in their anatomy and pose. The same gene looks different depending on the breed. Casule on Snappers is horrid, imo, because of the hollowed look it gives them, but it's lovely on guardians, again imo, because of how the spines are treated as glass.

Every gene should be ported to every possible breed. The more variety, the better. I don't want to be limited in breeds because I want a certain gene, or reversely, I don't want to be barred from using certain genes, because I want a specific breed.

Keeping genes exclusive is artificially making ancients more "valuable". They have enough value on their own with how each gene will interact with them given their pose and breed quirks.
No support. Every single breed brings uniqueness in their anatomy and pose. The same gene looks different depending on the breed. Casule on Snappers is horrid, imo, because of the hollowed look it gives them, but it's lovely on guardians, again imo, because of how the spines are treated as glass.

Every gene should be ported to every possible breed. The more variety, the better. I don't want to be limited in breeds because I want a certain gene, or reversely, I don't want to be barred from using certain genes, because I want a specific breed.

Keeping genes exclusive is artificially making ancients more "valuable". They have enough value on their own with how each gene will interact with them given their pose and breed quirks.
No support.

I think having the unique line-breaking tertiaries is already enough exclusiveness for ancients.
No support.

I think having the unique line-breaking tertiaries is already enough exclusiveness for ancients.
rI2B9a8.png
I think this is a really interesting suggestion thread just because there is a lot of format for people to say "Can we have [insert ancient gene] for moderns" (we all see it a lot, not that it's a bad thing) but not a lot of space where the people who are more for gene exclusivity. Not that there's a good way to combat that, nor am I suggesting that.

I just find it an interesting thread because it gives an opportunity for both sides to share their opinion.

As for my own opinion, I think that I could personally go either way, but I do like the idea of gene exclusivity. I find flight rising itself tends to lend in the "We want everybody to be able to make every dragon the exact way they want it" which is wonderful but I personally tend to lean towards the novelty of having a dragon that is special and unique, and gene exclusivity adds to ancient dragons' novelty and increases a want for them. Ancient dragons are already kind of tended to be looked over regardless, so some unique customization just for them that's not just line-breaking terts is an idea I personally like.

i just wanted to add on because i was thinking about this:

i don't think that it hurts to give ancients SOMETHING in terms of primary and secondary. there are so many genes that do get transferred but i don't genuinely think that it will hurt to give us gene exclusivity supporters something, because i don't want EVERY gene to be exclusive, i'd much rather the majority of fun genes be for all dragons. but just a few should be exclusive in my opinion and i don't think that will do more harm than fun in gameplay

i also think that i would much rather strides be made in new genes rather than gene expansions just for me personally
I think this is a really interesting suggestion thread just because there is a lot of format for people to say "Can we have [insert ancient gene] for moderns" (we all see it a lot, not that it's a bad thing) but not a lot of space where the people who are more for gene exclusivity. Not that there's a good way to combat that, nor am I suggesting that.

I just find it an interesting thread because it gives an opportunity for both sides to share their opinion.

As for my own opinion, I think that I could personally go either way, but I do like the idea of gene exclusivity. I find flight rising itself tends to lend in the "We want everybody to be able to make every dragon the exact way they want it" which is wonderful but I personally tend to lean towards the novelty of having a dragon that is special and unique, and gene exclusivity adds to ancient dragons' novelty and increases a want for them. Ancient dragons are already kind of tended to be looked over regardless, so some unique customization just for them that's not just line-breaking terts is an idea I personally like.

i just wanted to add on because i was thinking about this:

i don't think that it hurts to give ancients SOMETHING in terms of primary and secondary. there are so many genes that do get transferred but i don't genuinely think that it will hurt to give us gene exclusivity supporters something, because i don't want EVERY gene to be exclusive, i'd much rather the majority of fun genes be for all dragons. but just a few should be exclusive in my opinion and i don't think that will do more harm than fun in gameplay

i also think that i would much rather strides be made in new genes rather than gene expansions just for me personally
1bmIQLP.png
CUqoYIR.png
hvZ3oWr.png
OdNEyUV.png
UedbVG7.png
i agree. i mean, obviously i love more customisation and such, but i feel like to retain their unique gene spark, ancients should have a bit more exclusivity than just linebreaking terts. like hawkmoth/sphinxmoth or bright/vivd for veilspuns, or candy/icing or thread/spool for aethers, individuality is important because they can't wear apparel.
i agree. i mean, obviously i love more customisation and such, but i feel like to retain their unique gene spark, ancients should have a bit more exclusivity than just linebreaking terts. like hawkmoth/sphinxmoth or bright/vivd for veilspuns, or candy/icing or thread/spool for aethers, individuality is important because they can't wear apparel.
wishlist
he/kit
xenogender
trans
transmasc

arospec
rosboy
gay
ace

catgender
Adorable Arcane Hatchery! you should listen to them... NOW!!! Coatl Swirls!
No support. Line-breaking terts kinda fill that ancient exclusivity role since they can't really be adapted to moderns. I'm also always going to favor more customization as opposed to "protecting the exclusivity of this ancient-specific gene" because that's why I play this dragon dress-up game: I want to dress up my dragons however I please.

I think in general this would be unpopular as well. Every so often, we get a forum thread asking "Which ancient genes do you want to see on modern dragons?" and if you give people some time to respond, I'm sure most (if not all) ancient genes will be mentioned as someone's favorite. I'm very well aware that there's no pleasing everyone, but it would really stink if your favorite ancient gene gets flagged as "ancient-exclusive, will never be ported to modern breeds" while others are celebrating the newest gene expansion that gives their favorite genes to other dragon breeds.
No support. Line-breaking terts kinda fill that ancient exclusivity role since they can't really be adapted to moderns. I'm also always going to favor more customization as opposed to "protecting the exclusivity of this ancient-specific gene" because that's why I play this dragon dress-up game: I want to dress up my dragons however I please.

I think in general this would be unpopular as well. Every so often, we get a forum thread asking "Which ancient genes do you want to see on modern dragons?" and if you give people some time to respond, I'm sure most (if not all) ancient genes will be mentioned as someone's favorite. I'm very well aware that there's no pleasing everyone, but it would really stink if your favorite ancient gene gets flagged as "ancient-exclusive, will never be ported to modern breeds" while others are celebrating the newest gene expansion that gives their favorite genes to other dragon breeds.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png