Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | retain some ancient gene exclusivity
1 2 3 4 5
please note i'm NOT suggesting that no more ancient genes be given breed expansions!

however: to me, at least, most of the fun of ancient breeds is getting to use the genes exclusive to their breed (or at least exclusive to ancients in general). this is especially important because of the fact that they can't wear apparel - if i'm going to voluntarily give up that aspect of gameplay, i need them to have something else that incentivizes me towards them instead of choosing a modern breed. the linebreaking tertiaries do a lot for this, but they have a built-in protection against being ported to moderns, and imo having exclusive primary & secondary genes is just as necessary!

as of today's update, aberrations have only one set of breed-exclusive (non-tertiary) genes, and i want to be hopeful that the unique nature of diamond/spade makes it tough to port to other breeds, but the fact that those genes are dropping as parchment trade-ins now does make me a little concerned. (also full disclosure: aberrations are my current favorite ancient breed, so i may be a little more invested in this than usual lol) gaolers only have two; all the other ancient breeds have at least three. perhaps over the next few rounds of gene expansions there could be new exclusive genes developed for the two breeds mentioned above, until they've caught up to the pack.

anyway like i said, i don't want there to be NO more gene expansions; i'd just like for each of the ancient breeds already released (and those yet to come) to be allowed to have a modest selection of gene sets that make them truly unique!
please note i'm NOT suggesting that no more ancient genes be given breed expansions!

however: to me, at least, most of the fun of ancient breeds is getting to use the genes exclusive to their breed (or at least exclusive to ancients in general). this is especially important because of the fact that they can't wear apparel - if i'm going to voluntarily give up that aspect of gameplay, i need them to have something else that incentivizes me towards them instead of choosing a modern breed. the linebreaking tertiaries do a lot for this, but they have a built-in protection against being ported to moderns, and imo having exclusive primary & secondary genes is just as necessary!

as of today's update, aberrations have only one set of breed-exclusive (non-tertiary) genes, and i want to be hopeful that the unique nature of diamond/spade makes it tough to port to other breeds, but the fact that those genes are dropping as parchment trade-ins now does make me a little concerned. (also full disclosure: aberrations are my current favorite ancient breed, so i may be a little more invested in this than usual lol) gaolers only have two; all the other ancient breeds have at least three. perhaps over the next few rounds of gene expansions there could be new exclusive genes developed for the two breeds mentioned above, until they've caught up to the pack.

anyway like i said, i don't want there to be NO more gene expansions; i'd just like for each of the ancient breeds already released (and those yet to come) to be allowed to have a modest selection of gene sets that make them truly unique!
Heraldic Dragon Adopts

they/them (FR+3)
(sal-tih-sih-day)
Honestly I support this but I know players really want everything to be usable by everything, so I don't see this getting to much support
Honestly I support this but I know players really want everything to be usable by everything, so I don't see this getting to much support
I used to display all my meme numbers here, but honestly im tired off that
i will still say that i own the #420 saved scry
I personally don't like the idea of gene exclusivity. I understand that it appeals to some people but to me it seems like a real bummer.

I think Ancients are fun for other reasons (the fact they are allowed to look more varied than Moderns, for example)

So yeah, I don't like to say no support in a sense, because I understand the fear of ancients being somewhat less valuable if they don't have exclusive genes. But I personally hate the thought that a gene that might be PERFECT for a specific dragon is just formally declared to never ever be available for others just for the sake of exclusivity.

Some genes are just too versatile to be kept on Ancients, and if exclusivity is necessary then who knows when a gene people will love ends up being exclusive. I don't think the game should be pushing people to use dragon breeds they dislike JUST for a gene either.
I personally don't like the idea of gene exclusivity. I understand that it appeals to some people but to me it seems like a real bummer.

I think Ancients are fun for other reasons (the fact they are allowed to look more varied than Moderns, for example)

So yeah, I don't like to say no support in a sense, because I understand the fear of ancients being somewhat less valuable if they don't have exclusive genes. But I personally hate the thought that a gene that might be PERFECT for a specific dragon is just formally declared to never ever be available for others just for the sake of exclusivity.

Some genes are just too versatile to be kept on Ancients, and if exclusivity is necessary then who knows when a gene people will love ends up being exclusive. I don't think the game should be pushing people to use dragon breeds they dislike JUST for a gene either.
Mqw5b1R.gif
@Gemmi
yeah, that's what i'm expecting too lol but i had to shoot my shot, as it were! it's tough because i do get it - like, do i think chevron (for example) would look SO good on ridgebacks? yes, absolutely. would i still be sad for banescales to lose out on one of their very persuasive gene "arguments"? also yes, unquestionably. but such is life i suppose... (takes a drag of my candy cigarette)
@Gemmi
yeah, that's what i'm expecting too lol but i had to shoot my shot, as it were! it's tough because i do get it - like, do i think chevron (for example) would look SO good on ridgebacks? yes, absolutely. would i still be sad for banescales to lose out on one of their very persuasive gene "arguments"? also yes, unquestionably. but such is life i suppose... (takes a drag of my candy cigarette)
Heraldic Dragon Adopts

they/them (FR+3)
(sal-tih-sih-day)
@Lyuna
yeah i respect that, i guess i just don't think it's a huge leap from exclusive (line-breaking) terts to exclusive primaries & secondaries, especially if they're designed around some unique feature of the breed they belong to.
@Lyuna
yeah i respect that, i guess i just don't think it's a huge leap from exclusive (line-breaking) terts to exclusive primaries & secondaries, especially if they're designed around some unique feature of the breed they belong to.
Heraldic Dragon Adopts

they/them (FR+3)
(sal-tih-sih-day)
Personally I am in the no support camp.

I really don't want the day to come when a gene I have been waiting for, and really want for a particular dragon is now locked behind a specific breed. Especially because it usually means that we aren't going to get similar looking ones for other dragons.

For instance, if one day there is a dragon that has a lot of horse like primaries/secondaries, I would hate for something like a spotted blanket be locked to that particular breed, especially if, for some reason, I dislike that particular breed. Or a dun gene. Or whatever.

So, for me, I far prefer there be few to no exclusive genes (I can understand large line breaking terts remaining exclusive to ancients), because I like customization and to me, the more customization, for *all* breeds, there is, the better I like it.
Personally I am in the no support camp.

I really don't want the day to come when a gene I have been waiting for, and really want for a particular dragon is now locked behind a specific breed. Especially because it usually means that we aren't going to get similar looking ones for other dragons.

For instance, if one day there is a dragon that has a lot of horse like primaries/secondaries, I would hate for something like a spotted blanket be locked to that particular breed, especially if, for some reason, I dislike that particular breed. Or a dun gene. Or whatever.

So, for me, I far prefer there be few to no exclusive genes (I can understand large line breaking terts remaining exclusive to ancients), because I like customization and to me, the more customization, for *all* breeds, there is, the better I like it.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Tentative support, I guess in a way? I just kinda see a lot of gene ports, and I just can't help but wonder how much time that may take for new breed developments (especially on modern side). But at the same time, I see a lot of good genes in the ancients. I really want Phantom/Spirit for Moderns.
Tentative support, I guess in a way? I just kinda see a lot of gene ports, and I just can't help but wonder how much time that may take for new breed developments (especially on modern side). But at the same time, I see a lot of good genes in the ancients. I really want Phantom/Spirit for Moderns.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
I feel like a lot of Ancient genes haven't been ported to Moderns, and so like. Worrying about this is a bit unnecessary, because it was just one of many exclusive genes getting ported. If they're allowed to do one, we can like be calm about it when they do this very very occasional transfer.
I feel like a lot of Ancient genes haven't been ported to Moderns, and so like. Worrying about this is a bit unnecessary, because it was just one of many exclusive genes getting ported. If they're allowed to do one, we can like be calm about it when they do this very very occasional transfer.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
@Recallback
that's fair! fwiw i've been thinking about this since before the undertide gene expansion, it's not entirely a reaction to today's update. if i had posted it back then i probably wouldn't have brought up moderns at all, actually.
@Recallback
that's fair! fwiw i've been thinking about this since before the undertide gene expansion, it's not entirely a reaction to today's update. if i had posted it back then i probably wouldn't have brought up moderns at all, actually.
Heraldic Dragon Adopts

they/them (FR+3)
(sal-tih-sih-day)
no support. i get where you are coming from but personally i will always be in favor of more customization options rather than less.
no support. i get where you are coming from but personally i will always be in favor of more customization options rather than less.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
1 2 3 4 5