Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Linebreaking skins for ancients
1 2
[quote name="Alkhor" date="2023-12-19 05:23:39" ] ancients definetly should have skins covering their linebreaking genes. Thus or they should renew template with every new gene or allow alresdy work at entire sprite area if make only gene area too complicated. [/quote] [color=indigo] I agree with this. The linebreaking genes make ancients very hard to find good skins for. Like I really want a skin for my Aether with Flutter, but every skin I can find clips weirdly with Flutter and it bothers me. I would love if there was a skin template for ancient linebreaking genes so people can create skins with these genes in mind. Especially since skins are like the only way to customize ancients, it is kinda disappointing that a major selling feature of them (linebreaking genes) disagrees with them.
Alkhor wrote on 2023-12-19 05:23:39:
ancients definetly should have skins covering their linebreaking genes.
Thus or they should renew template with every new gene or allow alresdy work at entire sprite area if make only gene area too complicated.

I agree with this. The linebreaking genes make ancients very hard to find good skins for. Like I really want a skin for my Aether with Flutter, but every skin I can find clips weirdly with Flutter and it bothers me. I would love if there was a skin template for ancient linebreaking genes so people can create skins with these genes in mind. Especially since skins are like the only way to customize ancients, it is kinda disappointing that a major selling feature of them (linebreaking genes) disagrees with them.
jCVhFoZ.gif
@kalinka There actually are skin templates with ancient linebreakers on them! I was working on a Veilspun skin and trying to be mindful of as many as I could... unfortunately, it's almost impossible to make a design that overwrites zero tertiary choices... but like, even if you can't go out of the normal lines, you can still see where things'd fall!
@kalinka There actually are skin templates with ancient linebreakers on them! I was working on a Veilspun skin and trying to be mindful of as many as I could... unfortunately, it's almost impossible to make a design that overwrites zero tertiary choices... but like, even if you can't go out of the normal lines, you can still see where things'd fall!
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

@Renaiwom I didn't know about those! Thanks for showing me them. Maybe I will have to make my own skin for the dragon I was talking about then... I still wish that it was possible to draw on top of the linebreaking genes though, like in my example of Flutter, to draw on the secondary wings the gene adds, but I guess this opens the problem of having to restrict certain skins for ancients by what gene they go with...
@Renaiwom I didn't know about those! Thanks for showing me them. Maybe I will have to make my own skin for the dragon I was talking about then... I still wish that it was possible to draw on top of the linebreaking genes though, like in my example of Flutter, to draw on the secondary wings the gene adds, but I guess this opens the problem of having to restrict certain skins for ancients by what gene they go with...
jCVhFoZ.gif
[quote name="@Renaiwom" date="2023-12-21 19:55:30" ] kalinka There actually are skin templates with ancient linebreakers on them! I was working on a Veilspun skin and trying to be mindful of as many as I could... unfortunately, it's almost impossible to make a design that overwrites zero tertiary choices... but like, even if you can't go out of the normal lines, you can still see where things'd fall! [/quote] Unfortunately this is NOT we are asking about. Those genes still do not allow draw in linebreaking areas. And also shadows from base Sprite lying wierd on linebreaking genes. Even if you put small pieces that cover let's say only small areas of tentacles within base Sprite. They still shaded wierd and their shape broken. Look! You see? Tentacles has lots if enlighted areas that are in dark shadow in base Sprite. And thus you can not put bright things there freely. They 'll be broken with wierd shadows. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=74&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=1&eyetype=11&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=125&winggene=0&wings=74&auth=ea700fa0a480a5dc58e2d46eb988c65d5f88e734&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=74&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=1&eyetype=11&gender=1&tert=74&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=74&auth=19e6a1beb1f7b7bc4f33cb42b6f25599cc9f91ec&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
@Renaiwom wrote on 2023-12-21 19:55:30:
kalinka There actually are skin templates with ancient linebreakers on them! I was working on a Veilspun skin and trying to be mindful of as many as I could... unfortunately, it's almost impossible to make a design that overwrites zero tertiary choices... but like, even if you can't go out of the normal lines, you can still see where things'd fall!
Unfortunately this is NOT we are asking about.
Those genes still do not allow draw in linebreaking areas. And also shadows from base Sprite lying wierd on linebreaking genes. Even if you put small pieces that cover let's say only small areas of tentacles within base Sprite. They still shaded wierd and their shape broken.

Look! You see? Tentacles has lots if enlighted areas that are in dark shadow in base Sprite. And thus you can not put bright things there freely. They 'll be broken with wierd shadows.

dragon?age=1&body=74&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=1&eyetype=11&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=125&winggene=0&wings=74&auth=ea700fa0a480a5dc58e2d46eb988c65d5f88e734&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=74&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=1&eyetype=11&gender=1&tert=74&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=74&auth=19e6a1beb1f7b7bc4f33cb42b6f25599cc9f91ec&dummyext=prev.png

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
I would support a small amount of overflow being allowed on ancients, maybe like 5% or 10%. I feel like giving a percentage is good, because it's specific and unambiguous and there are tools that can check for it, rather than something vague like "minor overflow allowed." It's like the distinction between accents and skins.

People have long been asking for things like halos and flowerfalls on ancients, and I think this would be a good compromise - allowing for more unique and dynamic silhouettes without adding to staff's apparel workload.
I would support a small amount of overflow being allowed on ancients, maybe like 5% or 10%. I feel like giving a percentage is good, because it's specific and unambiguous and there are tools that can check for it, rather than something vague like "minor overflow allowed." It's like the distinction between accents and skins.

People have long been asking for things like halos and flowerfalls on ancients, and I think this would be a good compromise - allowing for more unique and dynamic silhouettes without adding to staff's apparel workload.
zGuYxpI.png
What if there's a limit on how far out of the lines you can go, or the amount you can obscure the silhouette? So like, you can either not go past, idk, 50px past the original outline, or you can go as far as you want but only go out of the lines on a certain percentage of the base? I feel like it could end up a judgement call if one wasn't careful, making another shadows issue for the poor skin mods to deal with... but maybe if there was a tool in the new skins uploading process that could calculate the out-of-lines percentage, it could be ok? ----- Also @Alkhor I understand that it's not what the [i]thread[/i] is about, but it [i]was[/i] what the [i]user I was directly replying to[/i] was talking about. I would like to point out that I also already acknowledged this in the initial post, as well (emphasis added).</annoyed> [quote name="Renaiwom" date="2023-12-21 19:55:30" ] @/kalinka There actually are skin templates with ancient linebreakers on them! I was working on a Veilspun skin and trying to be mindful of as many as I could... unfortunately, it's almost impossible to make a design that overwrites zero tertiary choices... but like, [b]even if you can't go out of the normal lines, you can still see where things'd fall[/b]! [/quote]
What if there's a limit on how far out of the lines you can go, or the amount you can obscure the silhouette? So like, you can either not go past, idk, 50px past the original outline, or you can go as far as you want but only go out of the lines on a certain percentage of the base? I feel like it could end up a judgement call if one wasn't careful, making another shadows issue for the poor skin mods to deal with... but maybe if there was a tool in the new skins uploading process that could calculate the out-of-lines percentage, it could be ok?

Also @Alkhor I understand that it's not what the thread is about, but it was what the user I was directly replying to was talking about. I would like to point out that I also already acknowledged this in the initial post, as well (emphasis added).</annoyed>
Renaiwom wrote on 2023-12-21 19:55:30:
@/kalinka There actually are skin templates with ancient linebreakers on them! I was working on a Veilspun skin and trying to be mindful of as many as I could... unfortunately, it's almost impossible to make a design that overwrites zero tertiary choices... but like, even if you can't go out of the normal lines, you can still see where things'd fall!
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

Full support. Not just for covering linebreaking tertiaries, but for linebreaking skins & accents for ancients in general. Unless there's a technical limitation, I really don't see why this shouldn't be added. An allowed percentage would work well, and wouldn't be harder to moderate than current skins and accents- inconsistency is kind of inherent to having multiple moderators judging submissions, but given a specific quantitative, measurable guideline, allowing linebreaking shouldn't exacerbate this. The only problem is whether the percentage of "linebreaking" would be based on the base silhouette, or take tertiaries into account, and which tertiaries to consider.

And I want the ability to put hats on ancients that don't have their heads tilted down/don't have their wings behind their heads.
Full support. Not just for covering linebreaking tertiaries, but for linebreaking skins & accents for ancients in general. Unless there's a technical limitation, I really don't see why this shouldn't be added. An allowed percentage would work well, and wouldn't be harder to moderate than current skins and accents- inconsistency is kind of inherent to having multiple moderators judging submissions, but given a specific quantitative, measurable guideline, allowing linebreaking shouldn't exacerbate this. The only problem is whether the percentage of "linebreaking" would be based on the base silhouette, or take tertiaries into account, and which tertiaries to consider.

And I want the ability to put hats on ancients that don't have their heads tilted down/don't have their wings behind their heads.
evQCX9v.gifMmBygYl.gif 41722454605_fc7ec4942e_o.png
Support! Since ancients cannot wear apparel, allowing linebreaking skins/accents would let users create their own without any clipping concerns like with moderns.

As far as rule ideas go, here's some possible additions:

♦ Cannot fill more than a certain percentage of the white space of the ancient's base.

^ I haven't worked with php and images yet so I'm unsure if this would work but I think it could be done by calculating the full percentage covering the image's dimensions by the skin like normal, then subtracting the percentage covered by the dragon breed's silhouette, leaving just the "outside" of the silhouette. This would mean that drawing on top of where a tert goes would still count towards the line breaking percentage, but I believe it's the easiest compromise! I think the percentage should allow at least enough to cover line-breaking tertiaries. I think there should be a way to check these percentages onsite too for easier approvals

♦ Cannot clip against the edge of the dragon's image.

♦ Base shading and lineart can be interrupted for clothing or items meant to be on top of the dragon's body as long as part of it follows the original celshading style/placement. Skins/accents that lie flat against the dragon's surface still need to use the original shading layer.

♦ All areas that clip out of the dragon's silhouette must have an outline for visibility.

Personally I don't believe there's any issue from people being creative and using skins to alter the dragon's silhouette and would not mind if they did -- after all, even with the existing shading and lineart rules many skins already create some pretty wild anatomy change illusions, many of which have won event contests! I believe this would open up a lot of really neat opportunities such as designing outfits for Ancients using existing modern apparel or accents meant to enhance certain linebreaking terts!
Support! Since ancients cannot wear apparel, allowing linebreaking skins/accents would let users create their own without any clipping concerns like with moderns.

As far as rule ideas go, here's some possible additions:

♦ Cannot fill more than a certain percentage of the white space of the ancient's base.

^ I haven't worked with php and images yet so I'm unsure if this would work but I think it could be done by calculating the full percentage covering the image's dimensions by the skin like normal, then subtracting the percentage covered by the dragon breed's silhouette, leaving just the "outside" of the silhouette. This would mean that drawing on top of where a tert goes would still count towards the line breaking percentage, but I believe it's the easiest compromise! I think the percentage should allow at least enough to cover line-breaking tertiaries. I think there should be a way to check these percentages onsite too for easier approvals

♦ Cannot clip against the edge of the dragon's image.

♦ Base shading and lineart can be interrupted for clothing or items meant to be on top of the dragon's body as long as part of it follows the original celshading style/placement. Skins/accents that lie flat against the dragon's surface still need to use the original shading layer.

♦ All areas that clip out of the dragon's silhouette must have an outline for visibility.

Personally I don't believe there's any issue from people being creative and using skins to alter the dragon's silhouette and would not mind if they did -- after all, even with the existing shading and lineart rules many skins already create some pretty wild anatomy change illusions, many of which have won event contests! I believe this would open up a lot of really neat opportunities such as designing outfits for Ancients using existing modern apparel or accents meant to enhance certain linebreaking terts!
1 2